Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 218 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by MrBigg
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

19875 (resized).jpg
    19874 (resized).jpg
    19873 (resized).jpg
    19872 (resized).jpg
    1987 (resized).jpg
    19871 (resized).jpg
    Schematic_cpu board fertig_2022-10-30.pdf (PDF preview)
    Schematic_IO Logic_2022-10-30.pdf (PDF preview)
    cf26b79af089288675d6f990e301c1750e2d0e7b (resized).jpg
    b973ca5d676510584a416ea180e69044be4837d0 (resized).jpg
    4988db6b1cc58be1e01d36a3a940cb8d7f995cad (resized).jpg
    2e984f4f186ff4ad4b4a87f5564004e67450f0bb (resized).jpg
    0babf4ec0c9ea3694ce9ef060370795913cfce4f (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

There are 218 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 2 years ago

Prototype but not testet yet, the Orginal 1987 Build have Problems that musst fixed before. But nö readable Shematics, Boggie is not a Cocktail.

20201009_120512_HDR__01 (resized).jpg20201009_120550_HDR (resized).jpg20201009_120621_HDR__01 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #102 2 years ago

i dont even know what state mine are in anymore.. i have eros one and hearts and spades working off of one board... ordered a 2nd board but it was missing chips... so i just left it forgotten in the basement. id love to get them working and sold lol

1 month later
    #103 1 year ago

Is anybody still working on making a new CPU?

#104 1 year ago

I am also following the topic with interest. I have an allied star shooter which is still functional, but for how long?
    So I commend you for your work and encourage you to bring this project to completion. I will obviously be among your first clients. until this day ... Merry Christmas

#105 1 year ago

When all is tested - was the plan to use new boards with his changes incorporated into the design?

3 weeks later
    #106 1 year ago

I have two Sets of the Custom Roms that should fit on the Orginal MPU. The Project lives but I have no Time and no Shematics to get the MPUs Workable and testing the Custom Roms. Before I test the Custom Roms I musst be sure that the MPUs and the Wireing of Playfield are correct!

#107 1 year ago

I have like 12 Allied Cocktails...please get this working

3 weeks later
    #108 1 year ago

Any improvements on the new board. Really looking forward for this. Thanks

4 weeks later
    #109 1 year ago

Any luck on getting the custom board working? I have a Hearts and Spades that needs a new board.

1 month later
    #110 1 year ago
    Quoted from Q_Big:

Prototype but not testet yet, the Orginal 1987 Build have Problems that musst fixed before. But nö readable Shematics, Boggie is not a Cocktail.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Have you tested this yet? I’m desperate for working rriots.
    I have schematics too, send me a pm!

2 weeks later
    #111 1 year ago

I'll add myself to the list of interested parties when this is done. Have a partially functioning Take Five and suspect this will be needed even if my current problem isn't the MPU.

I would upgrade to make the thing reliable regardless!

2 weeks later
    #112 1 year ago

I am definitely interested in one for my Take Five............

2 months later
    #113 1 year ago

I am still interested. Any progress?

2 months later
    #114 1 year ago

Any interest?.....

#115 1 year ago

Still waiting patiently for one.

2 weeks later
    #116 1 year ago

Anyone out there working on getting a New MPU made.

#117 1 year ago

I'm still on the list if they are made

4 weeks later
    #118 12 months ago

Any news yet on a new board?

#119 12 months ago

Still interested, any progress updates on this.

1 month later
    #120 10 months ago

As I just acquired an upright Hoe Down, I would be interested.

2 weeks later
    #121 9 months ago

Did anyone ever post / find legible schematics?

#122 9 months ago
    Quoted from Q_Big:

[quoted image]

This won't work.

You can (probably) replace IC6 with a 6520/6820/6821, since the RAM and ROM are on the CPU card, but you can't do that with IC5, since the 6520 doesn't have the timer functionality.

You shouldn't need IC3 at all since the IO isn't used.

1 month later
    #123 8 months ago

Funny how all the people who beg for a product disappear when they're asked for help.

I'll delete my design since it's clear nobody's interested in providing the information needed to complete it.

#124 8 months ago

mspaeth I sent you a schematic version I had on Facebook Messenger. Hope it is clearer than some of the others.

2 weeks later
    #125 7 months ago

Hi, new here.

I am at (what I consider) the early stages of a 6530 replacement module. It plugs into the socket of the IC to be replaced. It is configured by solder jumpers on the bottom (and can be configured for other gear that needs a replacement 6530). Hopefully with be a nice neat solution to revive those units with faulty 6530's. Design is done, just making sure it is what it needs to be before spinning some test pcb's. Here is what it currently looks like (apologies, don't know how to make inserted images smaller).
    6530 module top6530 module bottom

I am working on a tester for the 6530 as well.

I have made a 6504 NOP Module to assist with ALI pcb repair (supports signature analysis) that just passed testing in a Take Five pcb today, so that will be available once I finish testing the other NOP modules that will make up the set. Here is what it looks like.
    6504 NOP top6504 NOP bottom

Lastly, the reason for this post, I have started drawing up the main pcb schematic to look into making a repro. The pdf's available on line are not readable, if anyone has a better copy pdf or pic please pm me, it would be greatly appreciated. The hard copies that are listed for sale are not affordable for me when shipping to Australia is added.

#126 7 months ago

AzureOz See this post from me. "Game Plan Schematics?"

#127 7 months ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

AzureOz See this post from me. "Game Plan Schematics?"

Thanks, I will PM you. I checked your post I think it is for a different PCB to the ALI / Fascination ones. Seems like Game Plan are a different design based on Z80.

Quick update. I have managed to find a better pdf online which was for a Fascination Roy Clark, The Entertainer. The schematic seems to be for an early version of the ALI pcb as it contains lots of (unused) IO and J7 on the board that were all removed on later versions.

It is now drawn up well enough (v1.0) to move on to the next step, since I do not have an actual board to verify it.

Next step is to modify that schematic (to v2.0) by removing all parts removed on a later pcb (PCB 50250125H) that has been loaned to me and taking continuity measurements for most of the circuit and checking part types and id's. Seems very similar so far, resistor and capacitor numbers have been reassigned in the changes. IC38 part id has been reused (75492 removed and 7414 added), wiring for this ic is different to original part and ic24 has been rewired as part of that change.

A clear copy of the later ALI schematic would still be handy for reference and comparison but is not a show stopper at this stage.

#128 7 months ago

Completed some work on the differences. Changes from original ALI schematic (early revision fully populated and routed pcb and all parts) to pcb 50250125H are as follows:
    IC3 port outputs removed;
    J3 most connections and interface components removed;
    J7 and all coil driver circuits on J7 removed;
    Credit circuit changed (IC24 & IC38 changed from 75492's to a 7404 and 7414);
    Lamp driver output resistors removed;
    Inputs now have a series resistor (or diode) and capacitor added;
    Coil drivers now have a series capacitor (instead of resistor) and base driver changes (resistor and diode added).

None of the changes effect the i/o mapping back to the original RIOT or RRIOT. I am guessing the changes were to remove unused parts and a minor change to IO interface to improve reliability without doing a complete redesign. This allowed them to keep the same code and not have to do a costly re-spin on the RRIOT's. There are a lot unused gates.

#129 7 months ago

More progress.

I have managed to complete a first pass of the changes to the original schematic I drew up to take it to the later rev H pcb. Still need to do a thorough check for errors and add filter and bypass caps. Did a board outline and hand placement of parts. Layout still needs a lot of work and there are components footprints errors to fix but it is good progress and is possible. Given the board size they will not be cheap to have made up. After cleaning up layout I will look to update it with alternative components for hard to get parts.

Here is what I would call a draft 3d view at this stage.
    ALI Repro draft 2022-04-18 021746 (resized).jpg

#130 7 months ago
    Quoted from AzureOz:

Given the board size they will not be cheap to have made up.

Any reason why it can't be shrunk down a bit? Looking at a board here, is there potential to cut it down by up to a quarter??

#131 7 months ago
    Quoted from Quench:Any reason why it can't be shrunk down a bit? Looking at a board here, is there potential to cut it down by up to a quarter??

Cable lengths.

#132 7 months ago

Hmm, connector widths don't help either.

ALI_MPUa.jpg

#133 7 months ago

Hi, thanks for the comments. Greatly appreciated. Please keep them coming.

Quoted from Quench:

Any reason why it can't be shrunk down a bit? Looking at a board here, is there potential to cut it down by up to a quarter??

I think it can be. I am doing the schematic and layout in progressive revisions. My first rev 1 schematic was rev E which had all I/O pins connected and the J7 connector. Rev 2 matches later rev H schematic and the matching (draft) layout I posted. It's close to done, parts layout has been updated but still need to fix edge connectors (pitch is incorrect, so I will draw up my own), add bypass caps and some silk screen info. Next (rev 3) will be updated schematic and layout to include a 6502 (keeping socket for choosing between it and original 6504 if possible), also will look into what can be done to replace the 75492's which are harder to get. Then rev 4 will look at reducing pcb size.

Quoted from Quench:

Hmm, connector widths don't help either.
    [quoted image]

The width will need to be close to the same if plugging into J1 - J3 as is, was considering reducing height. Another option is a little edge connector to ribbon or adaptor cable (small pcb) onto a smaller (width and height) main pcb. J1 is mostly logic level inputs, J2 lamp outputs and J3 is only a few switches, lamps and 5v.

Are there any mounting positions which secure the pcb that are important to try and keep?

Here is the updated layout (still no bypass and wrong connectors) parts placement fairly complete.
    ALI Repro draft 2022-04-18 (resized).jpg

#134 7 months ago
    Quoted from AzureOz:

include a 6502 (keeping socket for choosing between it and original 6504 if possible),

Support for 6502 CPUs seems a smart choice considering their price and availability compared to 6504.

Quoted from AzureOz:

also will look into what can be done to replace the 75492's which are harder to get.

Could you use something like a TBD62003A LED driver maybe? (cheap and still in production) or potentially any other transistor array.

Quoted from AzureOz:

The width will need to be close to the same if plugging into J1 - J3 as is, was considering reducing height. Another option is a little edge connector to ribbon or adaptor cable (small pcb) onto a smaller (width and height) main pcb. J1 is mostly logic level inputs, J2 lamp outputs and J3 is only a few switches, lamps and 5v.

I don't have a game here to check, is there enough slack in the wiring harness to move the bottom left edge connector to the left side of the PCB?

BTW, can the jumper wire spaghetti be changed for DIP switches or something?

#135 7 months ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Could you use something like a TBD62003A LED driver maybe? (cheap and still in production) or potentially any other transistor array.

BTW, can the jumper wire spaghetti be changed for DIP switches or something?

Thanks for the ic suggestion, I will look into that, was thinking along similar lines. Except for lamp drivers from RIOT IC7 (which go via 7442 IC16 and through 7404's then 75492's) all other 75492 lamp drivers come straight from a RIOT or RRIOT output pin.

Good suggestion, when I move onto the rev 4 layout I will look at options like a dip sw or for size possibly a row of headers that you just place a jumper across.

#136 7 months ago
    Quoted from AzureOz:

Thanks for the ic suggestion, I will look into that, was thinking along similar lines.

Sorry, the TBD62003A is not specifically a LED driver but it's a common use. It's just a FET transistor array that can sink current for other applications too (lamps and LED displays shouldn't be a problem).

#137 7 months ago

Progress update. More checking found some minor errors which are corrected. Added silkscreen info and correct positions for edge connectors and mounting holes, metricated (close but not exact) positions for parts Corrected as many part ID's as I could figure out from the original blurry rev H schematic that changed from rev E.

As it stands because of the cost to make this large (v2) pcb it will not get made. Routing is complete but are signal only routing so vcc, gnd, power grounds, lamps and coils outputs would need to be rerouted with suitable width tracks.

Here it is.
    ALI Repro v2 2D (resized).jpg
    ALI Repro v2 3D (resized).jpg

Next step is to draw up and then route out v3. This will:
    Change to 6502 (or both 6502/6504 sockets);
    Choose connectors to replace J4-J6 that are no longer available;
    Reduce size of pcb to lower pcb cost;
    Make game settings easier, replace wire jumpers.

Wire jumpers will be replaced by either double row headers to use .1" jumpers (cheapest but bulky), dip switches (very bulky) or pcb rotary switches (most compact and easy settings) - I will post some layout options with those and reduced pcb size to get feedback when changes are drawn up. Please post or pm comments if you spot any errors or have suggestions for v3.

#138 7 months ago
    Quoted from AzureOz:

Choose connectors to replace J4-J6 that are no longer available;

I believe these are the connectors used at J4-J6. The board picture I posted above has these fitted.
    https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/350644-1/332925
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/571-350644-1

#139 7 months ago

That's great, thanks for the info. I have added a few (based on $) on my next digikey order. I will draw up the connector layout and add it to the v3 pcb.

#140 7 months ago

I’m in on one of these when you get it going!

Thanks for all your work

#141 7 months ago
    Quoted from scraig314:

Thanks for all your work

Thanks for that, good to know there is at least a little interest.

If the pcb is made smaller how does reducing height (by approx 1/4) and/or reducing width of pcb outside edge connectors effect mounting pcb and fitting J4-J6 connectors if they were slightly lower?

#142 7 months ago
    Quoted from AzureOz:

If the pcb is made smaller how does reducing height (by approx 1/4) and/or reducing width of pcb outside edge connectors effect mounting pcb and fitting J4-J6 connectors if they were slightly lower?

If I’m understanding the question correctly I don’t think that would be an issue. The harness and connectors have plenty of length to reach a new location. The edge connectors at the bottom can also be moved around if needed.

C890A0B0-36B0-4575-829C-152D2D665BCD (resized).jpeg
    #143 7 months ago
    Quoted from AzureOz:

As I recall the bottom is held in place by the connectors. The top is held in place by plastic clips. If the board is shorter then those clips will need to be relocated down so they can hold the shorter MPU board.

If anyone is missing the plastic clips I made a replacement and posted it up on thingiverse.com

#144 7 months ago
    Quoted from AzureOz:

Not sure how possible it is on the PCB, but one of the edge connectors could be rotated to an alternate side of the board reducing the width. The board won’t weigh as much as the original and shouldn’t need the large base connectors to support it.

#145 7 months ago

I started this topic three years ago with the hope that someone would take on this challenge. I would like to thank everyone for your help. The conversation has kept this project going. I am definitely in for one when completed.

#146 7 months ago

I would be in for 1 and maybe 2 of them.

#147 7 months ago

I’m definitely in for 1

#148 7 months ago
    Quoted from rstrunks:

I would be in for 1 and maybe 2 of them.

Quoted from Jecco74:

I’m definitely in for 1

Quoted from daddy:

I started this topic three years ago with the hope that someone would take on this challenge. I would like to thank everyone for your help. The conversation has kept this project going. I am definitely in for one when completed.

Quoted from scraig314:

Thanks for all your work

Good to see there might be interest in a replacement pcb. Would you be able to post or pm me which game(s) you want it for? I know it is supposed to be generic but just want to double check.

I am making progress on v3 looking at config jumpers replacement options. also finalizing the design and ordering some parts for the plug in 6530 replacement module.

#149 7 months ago

I would like one for my Circa 1933. Thanks

#150 7 months ago

Flame of Athens for me.

There are 218 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!