(Topic ID: 233808)

New album by The WHO 2019 - is it time for Pin?

By vid1900

10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Billy16
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic poll

“Should Stern do a The WHO pin for 2019? ”

• Hell yes, I wore the old Bally one down to bare wood. 8 votes
    21%
  • Hell no, why isn't Pete Townshend in jail? 22 votes
    56%
  • Why would the World Health Organization get a pin? 9 votes
    23%

(39 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

588198-killing-floor (resized).png
R-7522636-1443227948-3895.jpeg (resized).jpg
0ad09b0da42e4d4d38c257592e52ecafb92f4bca (resized).jpg
Wizard-Bally-1975-1038x1845 (resized).png
wizard3 (resized).jpg
pete-townshend (resized).jpg

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Lennon readily admitted in interviews that when he was younger, he hit women. He said that when he couldn’t find the words, he’d hit. In “Good Morning, Good Morning”, the lyric was almost “Time for tea and beat the wife” instead of “meet the wife”. He also wanted to say “Baby, you’re a rich, fag Jew” instead of “Rich man too” (as a statement about their manager, Brian Epstein). He could definitely not be a nice guy at times. A lot of people near him admitted that.

He did a lot more than that. He used to make fun of mentally handicap people right on stage. McCartney said it was because he didn't know how to deal with his fame, but even when he was young, he would make fun of war veterans who were disfigured or people who had handicaps. I always am amazed at how people associate his name or face with "global peace". His own son (Sean) said that he learned over the years his dad didn't have too many friends outside of McCartney.

Still, he was a saint compared to others like Miles Davis. And he did seem to be start to realize the error of his ways towards the end of his. He didn't deserve to go out like that.

#52 9 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The songs they stole had to be so deeply transmogrified, they no longer were good songs ("I'm Gonna Crawl")
A bunch of sappy, synth heavy tracks, easily Zeps worst album, Hot Dog, All My Love, Carouselambra, and the supersucky Salsa-dip "Fool In The Rain"
.....and again, all they had to do was cover some good blues songs, giving the authors proper credit. They could have gone out with a bang instead of swirling around the bowl.

You can say what you want about Hot Dog and Fool in the Rain, but All My Love is a great song. Guess it's not hard enough for you, maybe Plant should have tried to metal up a song about his young son's death instead for you?

#53 9 months ago
Quoted from Methos:

Guess it's not hard enough for you, maybe Plant should have tried to metal up a song about his young son's death instead for you?

You can't shame-guilt me into liking a synth filled song that drags like a dog's ass.

If you like it, good for you.

#54 9 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You can't shame guilt me into liking a synth filled song that drags like an old dog's ass.
If you like it, good for you.

Just having some fun.

It has an absolute beautiful solo and while I know Page didn't like it, Plant and JPJ did. Still gets played on the radio.

Hey, at least my top 4 Zep songs are safe from being ripped off right?

Achilles Last Stand
In the Evening
The Rover
The Immigrant Song

My other favorite is ripped off...Trampled Under Foot.

#55 9 months ago
Quoted from Methos:

Achilles Last Stand
In the Evening
The Rover
The Immigrant Song

I've never been able to figure out where those were stolen from.

Quoted from Methos:

The Captain!

#56 9 months ago
Quoted from Methos:

Just having some fun.
It has an absolute beautiful solo and while I know Page didn't like it, Plant and JPJ did. Still gets played on the radio.
Achilles Last Stand
In the Evening
The Rover
The Immigrant Song

I prefer Achillies Last Stand over Stairway to Heaven but I'm probably in the minority on that. Always liked that song.

#57 9 months ago
Quoted from AJNada:

I prefer Achillies Last Stand over Stairway to Heaven but I'm probably in the minority on that. Always liked that song.

Achilles has that soaring guitar solo that every guitarist had to learn in the 70s, pretty amazing stuff.

#58 9 months ago

I feel like I just discovered Santa wasn’t real ... always enjoyed Zeppelin but never knew about the history of them using others work.

#59 9 months ago
Quoted from AJNada:

It's a great tune. I actually like Zep's later output better than the early material.

#60 9 months ago
Quoted from Greenandwhite:

I feel like I just discovered Santa wasn’t real ... always enjoyed Zeppelin but never knew about the history of them using others work.

Which is ironic when everybody stated that other bands ripped off Zep like Whitesnake, Kingdom Come, KISS and now Gretta Van Fleet.

#61 9 months ago
Quoted from Methos:

Which is ironic when everybody stated that other bands ripped off Zep like Whitesnake

The difference is that Whitesnake did not take Zep's "Thank You", change the title to "No Thank You", and then credit the song to Coverdale.

When they did a cover, they credited the composer, like they did with "Aint No Love In the Heart of the City"

Although Coverdale could sing in a Plant-like falsetto, he could consistently sing live, and Whitesnake rocked much harder. Closer to Rainbow than Zep.

Whitesnake - Fool For You Loving

#63 9 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The difference is that Whitesnake did not take Zep's "Thank You", change the title to "No Thank You", and then credit the song to Coverdale.
When they did a cover, they credited the composer, like they did with "Aint No Love In the Heart of the City"
Although Coverdale could sing in a Plant-like falsetto, he could consistently sing live, and Whitesnake rocked much harder. Closer to Rainbow than Zep.
Whitesnake - Fool For You Loving

Speaking of Rainbow, the riff sounds like "All Night Long" by Rainbow. Ritchie Blackmore should sue Whitesnake-- haha.

#64 9 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Speaking of Rainbow, the riff sounds like "All Night Long" by Rainbow. Ritchie Blackmore should sue Whitesnake-- haha.

Just like RIOT should sue Iron Maiden

#65 9 months ago

The King cheated and stole just as much as anyone else. They all do. Some are good at cheating and some aren’t.

#66 9 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

The King cheated and stole just as much as anyone else. They all do. Some are good at cheating and some aren’t.

Elvis was a unique case. He never wrote anything himself, but Elvis was so big that he sometimes got half the songwriting credit before he would consider recording said song. It put song writers into a tough position. Would you rather have 100% credit for your song and have it sit there or be recorded by a no namer, or would you be happy with 50% credit if you knew that Elvis was going to record it? In other words, would you rather have 100% of nothing (or a gamble at the most) or 50% of a sure thing. Most took the latter option.

#67 9 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I don't hear it, it's probably in the same key and shares a chord of two. Most songs use the same chord progression over and over.

Love Blackmore and all...and Rainbow and Thin Lizzy were contemporaries.

#68 9 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Elvis gets co-writing credit on 9 of the over 600 songs he recorded.

He was more of a performer than a songwriter.

But, he credits the original songwriters for each of those 600 songs. It's not plagiarism if you credit your source.

Big Mama Thornton - Hound Dog

#69 9 months ago

That was a great article, but I take exception to the writer throwing GFR under the bus. Yeah, their music was simplistic--but they absolutely rocked live! Mel S. was a bass monster (good thing as Farner was really only a rhythm player), and both Brewer and Farner really delivered with their vocals and stage presence. An exciting and driving live band.

#70 9 months ago

I don't see why any of you idiots give a shit about this stuff. We can use you all over at the NFL thread where we are going to spend the next 2 weeks arguing about whether or not the Patriots are "Cheaters."

Listen to music and enjoy it if you like it. Goes without saying for some reason many here would rather rock out Zep than Old Blind Leadbelly.

Speaking of the Who doesn't

this

Sound a lot like this?

Who gives a wet fart? I'll groove on both of 'em!

I agree with the great Tom Petty on this one...

RS: Have you heard the Red Hot Chili Peppers song “Dani California” yet, because obviously it sounds a lot like “Mary Jane’s Last Dance”?
Petty: Yes, I have. Everyone everywhere is stopping me. The truth is, I seriously doubt that there is any negative intent there. And a lot of rock & roll songs sound alike. Ask Chuck Berry. The Strokes took “merican Girl”[for their song “Last Nite”], and I saw an interview with them where they actually admitted it. That made me laugh out loud. I was like, “OK, good for you.” It doesn’t bother me.

RS: There have been news reports that you were going to sue the Chili Peppers.
Petty: If someone took my song note for note and stole it maliciously, then maybe. But I don’t believe in lawsuits much. I think there are enough frivolous lawsuits in this country without people fighting over pop songs.

#71 9 months ago

Well, what makes LZ so egregious in their song stealing was that the vast majority of black bluesmen they stole from had already been ripped off by their record companies and/or agents (if they had one) and were not getting any royalties. Willie Dixon was probably the first to stand up to the Chess bros. and get what was coming to him.

Petty had money to burn (or snort).

#72 9 months ago

For me it just something interesting to look at, a part of history. When we (or me anyway) were younger, we didn't know better. We just enjoyed the music, like you said we should. Now as I am older and listening to more variety, and combined with the ability to look stuff up on the internet, I always find it interesting to hear that a song that for years I simply associated with a certain band and assumed it was theirs was not theirs at all, and that someone else did it before them. And sometimes, someone else did it before they did it. Sometimes it goes so far back we will never know who the person one who first came up with it. Example: Black Betty. Sure it goes back to Lead Belly and is often accredited to him, but I think it is believed that more than likely he picked it up from somewhere else even further on back. Some of this stuff goes way back to the times of slavery, think about how amazing that is.

I enjoy listening to all of the different versions. Sometimes the new ones are better, sometimes the old ones are better. Sometimes, all the versions are great, even if they are different. That's great, just more good stuff to listen to. I appreciate the talent of the people who come up with the great songs. That is where the real genius is.

#73 9 months ago

I agree with you there.

And I hold nothing against an aggrieved old bluesmab tryin to get his due.

But when it comes to “zep sucks because they stole all their songs” I find it pretty pointless to argue about.

People
Like zep because they like their sound.

#74 9 months ago

Vid

Some say Gretta is the savior of Rock and Roll, they must be a real band after all.

https://www.apnews.com/1c25ef288a4e4bf59cdbf4ad56724345

#75 9 months ago
Quoted from Methos:

Vid
Some say Gretta is the savior of Rock and Roll, they must be a real band after all.

https://www.apnews.com/1c25ef288a4e4bf59cdbf4ad56724345

They don't even play their instruments live.

Here they are on SNL a few days ago.

The guitar part is picking notes, but the guitarist for some reason is pretending to be strumming.

You can't be the savoir of rock n roll, if you can't even play even the simplest songs on stage.

(faked backing vocals too)

#76 9 months ago

This is one of those things I have always hated, and it goes way way back, for example here's one I was watching recently from 1966. Everyone raves about the performance (yes its a great song and I like his version) but this is faked and lip-synced. I mean for 1966 its pretty convincing as he does seem to be really playing and they even show some closeups of the guitar. But, no, its fake. Its been done a million times. I mean seriously no matter how they make it look visually right most of the time you can tell right off the bat that you are listening to the same studio recording you have heard 1000 times, how could they be playing that exactly right for every instant from beginning to end on a TV stage???

I just can't imagine being in a ROCK band and being told, hey get up here on this stage, and PRETEND to play, and PRETEND to sing your song. I'd be like F-U I ain't doin that shit. What do they do anyway? Do they sing softly? Or just move their lips and make no sound? its LAME. Stop it.

Of course sometimes this is probably because the artist is not capable of even doing it outside the studio, without the help of all of the effects, cuts, engineers, etc. Lame.

You want to know how to do it right? THIS is how you do it right. Think about this performance, how many people could pull off something like this? Not many. It is insanity, especially the "singing". This is the badass real shit right here.

#77 9 months ago

Relax bro!!!

These acts had little say over whether or not they were playing live on TV in the 60s.

#78 9 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Relax bro!!!
These acts had little say over whether or not they were playing live on TV in the 60s.

Probably true.

Especially on shows that normally don't have live musical entertainment.

But no excuses for SNL, they have a 40 year history of bands actually performing live. The show's audio producers do a great job with the mix.

Here is KISS from the Mike Duglas show in 1974, playing live, like real rock bands used to do:

#79 9 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Probably true.
But no excuses for SNL, they have a 40 year history of bands actually performing live. The show's audio producers do a great job with the mix.
Here is KISS from the Mike Duglas show in 1974, playing live, like real rock bands used to do:

"You can't hide the hook"

#80 9 months ago

Excellent. But the film editor who did the performance should be punched in the balls.

#81 9 months ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

"You can't hide the hook"

I know right? I spit my coffee when I heard that.

Gene was born in Israel.

#82 9 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Probably true.

That was off the Hotter than Hell album when no one else from the band wanted to go do the interview, so Gene got stuck with it. This and their Halloween special were classic KISS.

Vid, looks like you were right on that Michael Jackson thing....with that new documentary that is being show, there is some pretty damning evidence.

#83 9 months ago
Quoted from Methos:

Vid, looks like you were right on that Michael Jackson thing....with that new documentary that is being show, there is some pretty damning evidence.

I'm glad that survivors of R Kelly and MJ are finally able to find their voices.

We need to give rape victims all the support we can, especially those who's parents were paid for their silence.

#MuteMichael

#84 9 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They don't even play their instruments live.
Here they are on SNL a few days ago.
The guitar part is picking notes, but the guitarist for some reason is pretending to be strumming.
You can't be the savoir of rock n roll, if you can't even play even the simplest songs on stage.
(faked backing vocals too)

But they look so rock and roll!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 35.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 7.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 89.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7.95
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
$ 149.99
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside