(Topic ID: 233808)

New album by The WHO 2019 - is it time for Pin?

By vid1900

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Billy16
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic poll

“Should Stern do a The WHO pin for 2019? ”

• Hell yes, I wore the old Bally one down to bare wood. 8 votes
    21%
  • Hell no, why isn't Pete Townshend in jail? 22 votes
    56%
  • Why would the World Health Organization get a pin? 9 votes
    23%

(39 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

588198-killing-floor (resized).png
R-7522636-1443227948-3895.jpeg (resized).jpg
0ad09b0da42e4d4d38c257592e52ecafb92f4bca (resized).jpg
Wizard-Bally-1975-1038x1845 (resized).png
wizard3 (resized).jpg
pete-townshend (resized).jpg

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 months ago

Pedophiles around the world are rejoicing that those crusty rockers from Woodstock are cooking up a new album!

Not only a new album, but a 2019 tour backed by a full orchestra so you can hear all your favorite WHO songs performed at half tempo!

C'mon Stern, this band is almost as old as the Beatles (56 years old), isn't it time they got a 2nd pin?

pete-townshend (resized).jpg
#2 4 months ago
wizard3 (resized).jpg
#3 4 months ago

Stern could do a new game like the new KISS, with a tip of the hat to the old artwork.

Wizard-Bally-1975-1038x1845 (resized).png
#4 4 months ago

It looks like the band is using local symphonies, rather than touring with the same one:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/the-who-plot-symphonic-u-s-arena-tour-new-studio-album-for-2019-777375/

#5 4 months ago

The Who - Boris The Spider

#6 4 months ago

Pictures Of Lily

#7 4 months ago

The Who - Uncle Ernie

#8 4 months ago

I think it has been said several times throughout the years that the Who are one of those bands most rock enthusiasts like but is rarely their favorite band.

I know I enjoy when I hear their songs on occasion, but I don’t seem to hear them pop up very often in daily life like some other retired bands.

#9 4 months ago

Dr Jimmy & Mr Jim

Laugh and say I'm green
I've seen things you'll never see
Talk behind my back
But I'm off the beaten track
I'll take on anyone
Ain't scared of a bloody nose
Drink till I drop down
With one eye on my clothes

What is it? I'll take it
Who is she? I'll rape it
Got a bet there? I'll meet it
Getting High? You can't beat it

Doctor Jimmy and mister Jim
When I'm pilled you don't notice him
He only comes out when I drink my gin

You say she's a virgin
I'm gonna be the first in
Her fellah's gonna kill me?
Oh fncking will he
I'm seeing double
But don't miss me if you can
There's gonna be trouble
When she chooses her man

What is it? I'll take it
Who is she? I'll rape it
Getting High? You can't beat it

Is it me? For a moment
The stars are falling
The heat is rising
The past is calling

Is it me? For a moment
The stars are falling
The heat is rising
The past is calling

I'm going back soon
Home to get the baboon
Who cut up my eye
Tore up my Levis
I'm feeling restless
Bring another score around
Maybe something stronger
Could really hold me down

What is it? I'll take it
Who is she? I'll rape it

Getting high? You can't beat it

What is it? I'll take it
Who is she? I'll rape it

Is it me? For a moment
The stars are falling
The heat is rising
The past is calling

Is it me? For a moment
The stars are falling
The heat is rising
The past is calling

#10 4 months ago

Vid you ole shit stirrer you. Pedophile Pete notwithstanding, the Who are rock n roll majesty. Nobody hit the drums harder than Keith Moon.

#11 4 months ago

Jesus we're aware of their songs.

#12 4 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Jesus we're aware of their songs.

HEY MAN YOU EVER HEARD WONT GET FOOLED AGAIN?
CHECK THISSSS OUT

#13 4 months ago

Atleast Vid is posting some rather obscure ones that aren't worn the fck out. Gonna give em a listen, except for that last one. Pete musta wrote that one.

#14 4 months ago

Other than Zep this is the only other band pin I want made!

#15 4 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Atleast Vid is posting some rather obscure ones that aren't worn the fck out.

It would be great if Stern put "Pinball Wizard" as the actual Wizard Mode, so it would not be heard every single time you played.

#16 4 months ago

The Seeker is my personal favorite. Still pretty mainstream Who I get it.

#17 4 months ago

Even though The Beatles will always be the best Brit band by far, I have to hand it to The Who. And I really have to hand it to Pete Townshend. Look at the shared songwriting credits for every other group... Beatles (Lennon/McCartney, Harrison), Stones (Jagger/Richards), Zeppelin (Page/Plant), Floyd (Rogers, Gilmour). But with The Who, Pete Townshend wrote 99% of the songs by himself. Entwistle wrote a very small handful of songs, and Daltrey has like two shared song credits. Plus, I think that The Who is the only British band from that era that didn't mind sounding British. They have a very distinctive sound (the "mod" sound that they created). Very cool. I would love to see a Who pin that plays the songs that they recorded. Tommy is cool, but that was a whole different deal than what a proper Who pin would be. "The Real Me" from Quadrophenia is my favorite of theirs if I was forced to pick one.

Vid-- From Entwistle, "My Wife" and "The Quiet One" are the ones I like best, but Boris the Spider would be great for a pin.

#18 4 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Zeppelin (Page/Plant)

Other than The Rover, I'm not sure Zep wrote any songs.

They were the world's greatest cover band for an entire decade.

Since I've Been Loving You - Albert King

#19 3 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Other than The Rover, I'm not sure Zep wrote any songs.
They were the world's greatest cover band for an entire decade.
Since I've Been Loving You - Albert King

Hey Vid- I always enjoy your posts here. You've got a wide breadth of knowledge and you're suitably subversive... all good. The one area where I think I can keep up is mainstream classic rock. Yes, everyone knows that Zep is very derivative and borderline thieves with many of the songs that they've written. But as of now, I don't think that they've lost a lawsuit for ripping off any other artist. I think that Stairway and Taurus was as close as it ever got. Zeppelin I is usually the record pointed to the most because of the heavy blues influences. But influence is a far cry from blatant rip off. Harrison lost his lawsuit to The Chiffons for the similarities between "My Sweet Lord" and "He's So Fine". The melody is exactly the same. It's kind of like Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne suing Sam Smith for "Stay with Me" sounding too similar to "I Won't Back Down". The melody is the same. I think that's what draws the line. Chord progressions and even riffs don't pass muster, but when the melody line is identical, you have a problem.

#20 3 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

But as of now, I don't think that they've lost a lawsuit for ripping off any other artist.

They lost almost all of them.

I have all the first edition vinyl, where every song says Page or Page/Jones/Plant

Nowadays, look at the vinyl reissues and you see that they were forced to pay and credit the actual artists like Willie Dixon for "You Shook Me" and "I can't Quit You", Jake Homes for "Dazed and Confused" and of course Anne Bredon for "Babe I'm Gonna Leave you"

Every friggin song is a rip off.
0ad09b0da42e4d4d38c257592e52ecafb92f4bca (resized).jpg

#21 3 months ago

Here you can see the first pressing with Page claiming to have written everything:

R-7522636-1443227948-3895.jpeg (resized).jpg

Then a latter pressing after being sued, now you see Burnett (AKA Howling Wolf) fixing the name and getting credit for "Killing Floor"

588198-killing-floor (resized).png

Then in an even latter pressing and after more lawsuits, you see that now Dixon gets credit for Whole Lotta Love.

These were all famous songs before Zep stole them, so it was no surprise that they all got credited back to the actual songwriters.

#22 3 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Here you can see the first pressing with Page claiming to have written everything:
[quoted image]
Then a latter pressing after being sued, now you see Burnett (AKA Howling Wolf) fixing the name and getting credit for "Killing Floor"
[quoted image]
Then in an even latter pressing and after more lawsuits, you see that now Dixon gets credit for Whole Lotta Love.
These were all famous songs before Zep stole them, so it was no surprise that they all got credited back to the actual songwriters.

No doubt. Not very-well publicized settlements. I see it with the aforementioned titles, but is it hyperbole to suggest ALL? I still see plenty if songs still credited to Page and company. Are those songs that haven’t been litigated, have been litigated and found not to be rip offs, or songs that are legit originals?

#23 3 months ago

Almost lost means didn’t happen. Many things almost happen but fact of the matter is almost is meaningless.

#24 3 months ago

Did Pete ever finish his book ?

#25 3 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Not very-well publicized settlements.

Much of that happened in the 70s, so unless you subscribed to Billboard, you were unlikely to have even heard about it.

But it is fun to look at the new vinyl reprints and see Zep lose credit for all **their** songs.

Quoted from usandthem:

I see it with the aforementioned titles, but is it hyperbole to suggest ALL?

All the good zep songs are ripoffs.

Quoted from usandthem:

Are those songs that haven’t been litigated, have been litigated and found not to be rip offs, or songs that are legit originals?

Obviously the worst songs like "Tea For One", "The Crunge" or "Carouselambra" are solidly Zep (or they are so terrible that the original authors wish to remain anonymous)

It's OK to be a cover band, but it's not OK to claim you wrote all the songs.

Just looking through my XDP100, here are some that got recredited, I'm sure there are more:

"Trouble in Mind" Lightnin Hopkins

"Sunshine Woman" William Lincoln

"Sugar Mama" Tampa Red

"We're Gonna Groove" Ben E King

"Boogie With Stu" Richie Valens

"Bring It on Home" Dixon

"Black Mountain Side" English Folk Song from Bert Jansch

"You Shook Me" Dixon

"I Can't Quit You Baby" Dixon

"The Lemon Song" Burnnett

"Hey, Hey, What Can I Do" Little Richard

"How Many More Times" Memphis Minnie

"Travelling Riverside Blues" Robert Johnson

"Nobody's Fault but Mine" Blind Willie Johnson

"Gallows Pole" Leadbelly

"Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" Anne Bredon

"In My Time of Dying" Josh White

"Since I've Been Loving You" Albert King

"When the Levee Breaks" Memphis Minnie

"Dazed and Confused" Jake Holmes

"Whole Lotta Love" Dixon

"Stairway to Heaven" Spirit

"Tangerine" Yardbirds

"Hats Off to (Roy) Harper" Bukka White

"How Many More Times" Burnette (Howling Wolf)

"Moby Dick" Bobby Parker

"Trampled Underfoot" Capt. Beefheart

"Custard Pie" Sleepy John Estes, Blind Boy Fuller & Sonny Boy Williamson

#26 3 months ago

It's not just LZ either. The Beatles (early), Clapton, Elvis, and pretty much every other artist of that era are associated with the same old stolen blues songs. Go to YouTube and find a playlist of old blues songs, some of these go waaay back even into the 20s. You start going through them and it's like, damn, did anybody from the 60s onward actually create a single new song? And this is just counting the actual songs that were basically just lifted and maybe electrified a bit. If you throw in all the songs that are based on the standard I IV V progression themes that were already created, well that's about all of them!

#27 3 months ago

^ yep.

But it's not like Elvis claimed to write every cover song, and then had to be sued, song by song, through his entire catalog.

Zep joke:

Q: Why not give the original songwriters credit in the first place?

A: We are greedy white guys.

#28 3 months ago

And while we're at it, the Beach Boys blatantly ripping off Chuck Berry LOL that was classic.

Chuck Berry was one of the first who jumped up and said WTF why are you stealing the songs I wrote? Then again, he took all the credit and gave nothing to Johnnie Johnson who probably was the real songwriting genius. Greed is universal!

#29 3 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

^ yep.
But it's not like Elvis claimed to write every cover song, and then had to be sued, song by song, through his entire catalog.
Zep joke:
Q: Why not give the original songwriters credit in the first place?
A: We are greedy white guys.

Gallow's Pole-- Holy crap. Just looked up Leadbelly's version on YouTube. Wow! Strikingly similar. Seems like your list is heavily weighted on the first four albums. The last four albums starting with Houses seemed very different. Did Page find his stride by then?

Funny thing is, referring back to the group that this topic was created for... Hard to find any accusations against Townshend for musical theft.

#30 3 months ago

As Vid said... All the GOOD LZ songs.....

#31 3 months ago

What about some of the GREAT Zep songs...No Quarter, In The Evening, Custard Pie?

#32 3 months ago

ALL.
All of em stolen. Regurgitated extremely well but regurgitated nonetheless. All they had to do was give credit where credit was due ffs.

#33 3 months ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

What about some of the GREAT Zep songs... Custard Pie?

Custard Pie is MEGA RIPOFF of 3 songs, "Drop Down Mama" by Sleepy John Estes, “I Want Some Of Your Pie” by Blind Boy Fuller, and “Help Me” by Sonny Boy Williamson

I guess I don't have that one on my XDP100

#34 3 months ago

Are we asking for a Led Zep pin or a Who pin? Geez. Maybe you should change thread title...

#35 3 months ago

Sonova! I’m 57 and I feel like I’ve been duped my whole life!

#36 3 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

The last four albums starting with Houses seemed very different. Did Page find his stride by then?

Houses still had plenty of ripoffs

But by the time Out Door came out, Zep was completely spent.

Plant could not sing a single note live anymore (I saw them 2x in the 70s, he was terrible).

All the old blues artists were watching them like hawks, waiting for a payday.

The songs they stole had to be so deeply transmogrified, they no longer were good songs ("I'm Gonna Crawl")

A bunch of sappy, synth heavy tracks, easily Zeps worst album, Hot Dog, All My Love, Carouselambra, and the supersucky Salsa-dip "Fool In The Rain"

.....and again, all they had to do was cover some good blues songs, giving the authors proper credit. They could have gone out with a bang instead of swirling around the bowl.

#37 3 months ago

"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"
This song, more than any other track on Led Zeppelin's debut album, established their epic sweep. It was written by American folk singer Anne Bredon in the 1950s: Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, however, were fans of Joan Baez and knew the track from her 1962 album Joan Baez in Concert, Part 1. (Page has said that he learned the song "in the days of sitting in the darkness, playing my six-string behind Marianne Faithfull.") Led Zeppelin credited the song as traditional (and gave arrangement credit to Page); in fairness to them, Baez's album also mistakenly listed the song as traditional. Bredon was apparently unaware that Led Zeppelin had covered her song: When she found out in the Eighties, she agreed to split the royalties with the band, and is now listed as co-author.

#38 3 months ago
Quoted from gtxjoe:

"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"
This song, more than any other track on Led Zeppelin's debut album, established their epic sweep. It was written by American folk singer Anne Bredon in the 1950s: Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, however, were fans of Joan Baez and knew the track from her 1962 album Joan Baez in Concert, Part 1. (Page has said that he learned the song "in the days of sitting in the darkness, playing my six-string behind Marianne Faithfull.") Led Zeppelin credited the song as traditional (and gave arrangement credit to Page); in fairness to them, Baez's album also mistakenly listed the song as traditional. Bredon was apparently unaware that Led Zeppelin had covered her song: When she found out in the Eighties, she agreed to split the royalties with the band, and is now listed as co-author.

And we though only Led Zep liked to plagiarize...sheesh, credit your source when you steal a paragraph of material .

#39 3 months ago
Quoted from gtxjoe:

Are we asking for a Led Zep pin or a Who pin? Geez. Maybe you should change thread title...

How about a Black Sabbath pin celebrating their 50 years?

In that same decade that saw Led Zeppelin become successful off other peoples music, Geezer and Tony were writing all original lyrics and riffs that launched an entire genre of music.

#40 3 months ago
Quoted from AJNada:

How about a Black Sabbath pin celebrating their 50 years?

50 years ago, Black Sabbath- Blue Suede Shoes

#41 3 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

A very early live cover, certainly. But not placed on any studio albums.

#42 3 months ago
Quoted from AJNada:

A very early live cover, certainly. But not placed on any studio albums.

That's why I like it.

It's not overplayed in my brain.

#43 3 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Houses still had plenty of ripoffs
But by the time Out Door came out, Zep was completely spent.
Plant could not sing a single note live anymore (I saw them 2x in the 70s, he was terrible).
All the old blues artists were watching them like hawks, waiting for a payday.
The songs they stole had to be so deeply transmogrified, they no longer were good songs ("I'm Gonna Crawl")
A bunch of sappy, synth heavy tracks, easily Zeps worst album, Hot Dog, All My Love, Carouselambra, and the supersucky Salsa-dip "Fool In The Rain"
.....and again, all they had to do was cover some good blues songs, giving the authors proper credit. They could have gone out with a bang instead of swirling around the bowl.

While I was looking up some of the things that we we've been talking about, it seems as though even The Beatles weren't completely innocent. "Revolution", "Come Together", and "I Feel Fine" are three songs from a Rolling Stone article where The Beatles took some liberties of their own. They certainly didn't make a living at ripping off others though. I was just listening to "Revolver" (which I often do) and I just marvel at the songwriting, craftsmanship, and performance of those songs. I've stated my best music/pin analogy before: The Beatles are like Addams Family. The Beatles changed music like Addams Family changed pinball. Everything that would come after would be measured up against them.

#44 3 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's why I like it.
It's not overplayed in my brain.

As I'm sure you know, they did start very early on as a blues rock band but quickly found their identity as Black Sabbath. The first of many original albums followed and the rest is history.

#45 3 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No wasted motion when Iommi plays. Many notes, little movement. Just the opposite of Townshend... few notes, a lot of movement. The lead was always left of Entwistle-- Another unique thing about The Who...The bass player played lead, not the guitarist (usually). Although Townshend could rip it when he wanted to. But yes, still plenty of signature Townshend power chord play here.

#46 3 months ago

If you've seen some of those band shows I love it when they talk about how they wrote some of those songs. Like the song Black Sabbath which Geezer wrote after hallucinating a vision of a black figure. Or how when he heard Iommi's heavy riff Ozzie said "sounds like a big iron bloke going down the road", and that became Iron Man. Nothing to do with the comic they had never even heard of it. That's genius stuff right there. They are just the BEST.

#47 3 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

While I was looking up some of the things that we we've been talking about, it seems as though even The Beatles weren't completely innocent.

The Beatles certainly stole some famous songs.

How about when they stole Arthur Gunter's "Baby Let's Play House" ?

Gunther sang: "I'd rather see you dead little girl, than to be with another man"

And Lennon stole the entire line to lead off the song "Run For Your Life" (a popular violence against women song)

Well, I'd rather see you dead, little girl
Than to be with another man
You better keep your head, little girl
Or you won't know where I am

You better run for your life if you can, little girl
Hide your head in the sand, little girl
Catch you with another man
That's the end'a little girl

Well, you know that I'm a wicked guy
And I was born with a jealous mind
And I can't spend my whole life
Trying just to make you toe the line

Let this be a sermon
I mean everything I've said
Baby, I'm determined
And I'd rather see you dead

I'd rather see you dead, little girl

#48 3 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

No wasted motion when Iommi plays. Many notes, little movement. Just the opposite of Townshend... few notes, a lot of movement. The lead was always left of Entwistle-- Another unique thing about The Who...The bass player played lead, not the guitarist (usually). Although Townshend could rip it when he wanted to. But yes, still plenty of signature Townshend power chord play here.

That is spot on, actually.

These posts remind me of, I believe, the only time Sabbath (Iommi) and the Who (Daltrey) shared the stage in '92. Performing with Queen at the Freddy Tribute show.

#49 3 months ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

If you've seen some of those band shows I love it when they talk about how they wrote some of those songs. Like the song Black Sabbath which Geezer wrote after hallucinating a vision of a black figure. Or how when he heard Iommi's heavy riff Ozzie said "sounds like a big iron bloke going down the road", and that became Iron Man. Nothing to do with the comic they had never even heard of it. That's genius stuff right there. They are just the BEST.

Absolutely. Geezer was on another planet writing those lyrics.

#50 3 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The Beatles certainly stole some famous songs.
How about when they stole Arthur Gunter's "Baby Let's Play House" ?
Gunther sang: "I'd rather see you dead little girl, than to be with another man"
And Lennon stole the entire line to lead off the song "Run For Your Life" (a popular violence against women song)
Well, I'd rather see you dead, little girl
Well, you know that I'm a wicked guy
And I was born with a jealous mind
And I can't spend my whole life
Trying just to make you toe the line
Let this be a sermon
I mean everything I've said
Baby, I'm determined
And I'd rather see you dead
I'd rather see you dead, little girl

Lennon readily admitted in interviews that when he was younger, he hit women. He said that when he couldn’t find the words, he’d hit. In “Good Morning, Good Morning”, the lyric was almost “Time for tea and beat the wife” instead of “meet the wife”. He also wanted to say “Baby, you’re a rich, fag Jew” instead of “Rich man too” (as a statement about their manager, Brian Epstein). He could definitely not be a nice guy at times. A lot of people near him admitted that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 60.00
Playfield - Plastics
Vandelay Industries
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 19.95
Apparel - Women
Pinball Wheezer
$ 2,000.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Great American Pinball
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 40.00
Playfield - Decals
Great American Pinball
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 149.00
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 34.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
€ 4.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Multigame
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside