image-303.jpg
image-264.jpg
image-79.jpg
image-266.jpg
image-434.jpg
image-349.jpg
image-821.jpg
image-399.jpg
There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

Saw this on CL, Called the guy and he told me it was his late fathers pinball that he bought from a local bowling alley in a fire sale. His dad was an electrical engineer but I guess he never got around to fixing it. The son said it had weak flippers and that's what his dad was fixing. It had been sitting in his basement for about 8 years. It was a 2.5 hour drive to get it each way and as my luck would go, there were thunderstorms all the way there and back.

Even though I knew I was going to get a pin, I totally forgot to bring any tools so I had to rummage through his dad's stuff to try and find some tools. I went to go remove the cover on the back box and it was locked with no key. He said that his dad loved keys and went upstairs and brought back a coffee can full of keys. I reach in and randomly grab a set of keys and look at them, they say Chicago on them. I put them in and they unlock it, first try, His wife then asks me if I'm an Aquarius, I'm like, I think so, I was born in Feburary, why? She say's cause I was lucky.

Wierd..

Anyway, after another 2.5 hour drive back through the thunderstorms this is what I brought home. It seems intact, The flippers are disconnected and there are some coils hanging under the playfield, I think for the chimes. I didn't have time to get it out of my van when I got home so I had to drive to work with it. Just unloaded it from the van so I thought I would post it. I really like the colors, it's a very feminine pin so I'm hoping my wife and daughter like it when it's done. This is my first EM and my 2nd pin, with the first being a Black Knight 2000, they ought to look pretty funny sitting next to each other.

I still need to go through it and really check it out. I traded the guy a netbook laptop that I no longer used for it, I think we both made out good.

IMG_4045.JPGIMG_4045.JPG
IMG_4044.JPGIMG_4044.JPG
IMG_4043.JPGIMG_4043.JPG
IMG_4042.JPGIMG_4042.JPG
IMG_4041.JPGIMG_4041.JPG
IMG_4040.JPGIMG_4040.JPG
IMG_4039.JPGIMG_4039.JPG

LOL, I just discovered when I linked the game to this post that it was made the same year I was born. cool.

#2 10 years ago

Great score!

Williams have a lot of fun Multiplayers and Swinger should be entertaining playing with the family.

Ken

#3 10 years ago

I think thats a fun machine. Nice pickup

--Jeff

#4 10 years ago

Swinger is a lot of fun, has a great glass and playfield which is hard to find on this title.

#5 10 years ago

We need more old school around hear.

#6 10 years ago

By the way, that's not my house, that's where is sat for all those years.

I don't have a picture but the bottom of the machine in the front, and possible the back, is bowed down and has come out of the slots that hold it in the cabinet. It doesn't appear to be rotted. Any suggestions on what to do?

Gonna go read up on how to begin checking over the machine before powering it on. Any good links on a pre-flight check?

Can't wait to play it. My 12 year old daughter got her first look at it on the way out to school and thought it was cool. she told me the official name for the color was "Bubblegum Pink". Hopefully they have it in stock at the craft store

#7 10 years ago

If the game has sat for a long time it may keep reseting or keep scoring do not worry slowly adjust all playfield switches.

Good Luck

#8 10 years ago

Enjoy your new machine!

If nothing else, EM's will really teach you the fine art of adjusting switch gaps.

#9 10 years ago

I have a vintage VW, can't be harder than adjusting points, right?

Any links to guide would be appreciated, I'l keep posting my progress as I go. Thanks!

#10 10 years ago

Also, is it OK to blow an EM out with compressed air?

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

Any links to guide would be appreciated,

I think this is a pretty good one. There is a whole section about "before turning the game on".

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

Also, is it OK to blow an EM out with compressed air?

No problem.

Ken

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

I don't have a picture but the bottom of the machine in the front, and possible the back, is bowed down and has come out of the slots that hold it in the cabinet. It doesn't appear to be rotted. Any suggestions on what to do?
Gonna go read up on how to begin checking over the machine before powering it on. Any good links on a pre-flight check?
Can't wait to play it. My 12 year old daughter got her first look at it on the way out to school and thought it was cool. she told me the official name for the color was "Bubblegum Pink". Hopefully they have it in stock at the craft store

We were admiring that carpet. However with that mold issue on that wall beside the pool table, is another issue that you do not need to worry about.
Cleaning the pin is a good start, if you blow out the cabinet were some eye protection and I would suggest a mask as well. Watch for any flying paper labels or small parts. Avoid getting compressed air near the back side of the backglass. If there is any flaking in the glass you might discover the loose paint the hard way.

#14 10 years ago

Thanks! I'll update as I progress.

Any suggestions on dealing with the bottom bowing out?

#15 10 years ago

You might with some luck be able to pop it back in. Otherwise you will likely have to go this route.
http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index1.htm#bottom

I've done it a few times and it's not so bad.

#16 10 years ago

Hopefully I can just pop it back in. Thanks for the link, alot of great info there.

I just read another thread that suggested using a router to remove the lip and replacing the panel with 1/2 plywood.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-cabinet-base-board-and-dismantling-cabinet

I think, if needed, I'll go with the 1/4 inch and replace as described in Alex's link, I don't need it to be any heavier.

#17 10 years ago

I looked at the bottom again last night..of the pinball machine

It doesn't look like it slots in the front (forgot to take pictures). I'm pretty sure I need to empty the cabinet to fix this, so here's my question.

Since the bottom doesn't effect the operation of the machine, should I try to get it all up and running first and then fix the bottom, or just take it all out, fix the cabinet and then get it up and running?

Thanks for the help.

#18 10 years ago

if the cabinet needs to be fixed, i'd just go ahead and bite the bullet and fix the cabinet first... how bad is the bow? it would have to be pretty bad for me to go through the effort of fixing it, unless i was gonna do a full blown restore...

it will be easier to work on the mech board with it out of the machine anyway...

#19 10 years ago

Yeah, your probably excited to get playing but it's always easier to start from the ground up. May as well get the cabinet issue corrected first.

#20 10 years ago

I recently repaired a bowed cabinet bottom using gorilla glue and ratchet straps. Thought I would try a quick fix first to see how it held up. It has been a couple months and is still holding strong. YMMV.

#21 10 years ago

@the op... you had mentioned blowing out the cabinet with compressed air earlier... imo, it would be wise to remove the mech board from the machine before doing that...

#22 10 years ago

The bow is only in the front of the machine. There was a small cardboard box full of parts inside the coin door, maybe the weight of that did it over the years in the basement.

I looked at it this morning on the way to work and there doesn't appear to be a channel for it to go into on the front panel but there is a lip that it would have sat on. I'm thinking I might be able to glue and screw it back down with some clamps overnight.

I've never worked on an EM before so taking the mech board out seems like a good idea, better then bending over the cabinet and killing my back. As soon as I get some space to work on it cleared up I'll take some pics. Hopefully this weekend.

Oh, and it stinks like a bowling alley in a basement, any suggestions on dealing with the smell?

Thanks again.

#23 10 years ago

Sometimes the lip that holds the bottom up chips or delaminates and falls off. You could probably cut a thin strip of wood, glue it in place where the lip was and be in business. Nice if so, you won't have to take the cab apart.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

The bow is only in the front of the machine. There was a small cardboard box full of parts inside the coin door, maybe the weight of that did it over the years in the basement.
I looked at it this morning on the way to work and there doesn't appear to be a channel for it to go into on the front panel but there is a lip that it would have sat on. I'm thinking I might be able to glue and screw it back down with some clamps overnight.
I've never worked on an EM before so taking the mech board out seems like a good idea, better then bending over the cabinet and killing my back. As soon as I get some space to work on it cleared up I'll take some pics. Hopefully this weekend.
Oh, and it stinks like a bowling alley in a basement, any suggestions on dealing with the smell?
Thanks again.

yea, i'd give alex's suggestion a shot... your theory probably isn't far off, most of mine have at least some bowing where the cash box is...

yup. it is almost always worth taking a couple minutes to take it out... you can work in a more comfortable position, reach everything easily, and see better... same deal with the board in the backbox... when you get around to rebuilding the score reels and other stuff in there, it only takes a couple minutes to take it out and it makes it approximately 28,432 times easier to work on...

one of the cool things about em's is that all the major components can be disassembled/reassembled very easily... i'm not a strong guy, and i often will remove at least the playfield if a machine has to be picked up and moved...

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think this is a pretty good one. There is a whole section about "before turning the game on".
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/

I read the the whole thing! Whew!

Clay is a saint for taking the time to write and document all of that, who knows how many pinball machines have been saved because of it's availability, probably thousands!.

Once I get it working I'll have to send him a pic and a thank you donation to his site.

Thanks for all the tips.. more to come..Time to get to work

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

thank heaven--what did it SMELL like down there? That's disgusting! Had a friend pick up a shooter and his shoes actually stuck to the guy's carpet--yuk..............

#27 10 years ago

I do have a Swinger playfield with lots of parts on it (no plastics), so if you need anything for yours, shoot me a pm.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

I read the the whole thing! Whew!
Clay is a saint for taking the time to write and document all of that, who knows how many pinball machines have been saved because of it's availability, probably thousands!.
Once I get it working I'll have to send him a pic and a thank you donation to his site.
Thanks for all the tips.. more to come..Time to get to work

clay's guide is a great crash course on em pinball, and a lot of us have benefitted from it... it's worth reading several times, you'll pick up even more... with it alone, you can go from knowing nothing at all about em pinball machines to being able to make a dead one run in a pretty short period of time...

make your donation now... that will get you access to the pinball ninja site... that site could be likened to a graduate level version of the em guides, he very specifically details hundreds of repairs... it is WELL worth the money...

and his "this old pinball" dvds are worth the cash as well...

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

thank heaven--what did it SMELL like down there? That's disgusting! Had a friend pick up a shooter and his shoes actually stuck to the guy's carpet--yuk..............

It smelled kinda like a wet dog in a bowling alley on free cigar nite. it wasn't horrible, I've been in worse places.

Quoted from WilliamsFan:

I do have a Swinger playfield with lots of parts on it (no plastics), so if you need anything for yours, shoot me a pm.

I have a really nice Aztec playfield that needs a home, would you happen to have one of them? What kinda shape is the playfield in? Not too deep into it yet to know what I need but I'll let you know. Thank you.

Quoted from ccotenj:

clay's guide is a great crash course on em pinball, and a lot of us have benefitted from it... it's worth reading several times, you'll pick up even more... with it alone, you can go from knowing nothing at all about em pinball machines to being able to make a dead one run in a pretty short period of time...
make your donation now... that will get you access to the pinball ninja site... that site could be likened to a graduate level version of the em guides, he very specifically details hundreds of repairs... it is WELL worth the money...
and his "this old pinball" dvds are worth the cash as well...

Sounds like a great idea, I didn't even notice all that. Too busy reading I guess.

#30 10 years ago

I think you are correct, It looks like the lip busted off.

Shouldn't be too bad, maybe once it's empty I'll flip it over and set some weight on it for a few days and see if it will bend back some, it's very springy.
IMG_4058.JPGIMG_4058.JPG
IMG_4057.JPGIMG_4057.JPG

#31 10 years ago

I'm just glad this purchase went better than your first one.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

I have a really nice Aztec playfield that needs a home, would you happen to have one of them? What kinda shape is the playfield in? Not too deep into it yet to know what I need but I'll let you know. Thank you.

Ill dig it out tomorrow and get some pics. I honestly don't remember, I've had it around for a long time.

#33 10 years ago

Here is the PF I have- is wear around bumpers and inserts. This has been a source of parts for other games needing parts.
Only positive I can say is that the wear is in solid color areas, should anyone want to paint and clear it, it should come out really nice. 100_0819.JPG100_0819.JPG100_0818.JPG100_0818.JPG

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from WilliamsFan:

Here is the PF I have- is wear around bumpers and inserts. This has been a source of parts for other games needing parts.
Only positive I can say is that the wear is in solid color areas, should anyone want to paint and clear it, it should come out really nice.

100_0819.JPG 293 KB

100_0818.JPG 247 KB

It looks almost identical, wear in all the same spots. Gonna be fun trying to match that florescent paint. Let me know if you would part with it. I could pay for shipping +whatever you think it's worth. Would be nice to have an extra so I could play one while restoring the other.

I was planning on removing everything on the top side of mine, cleaning and lightly sanding and putting a couple coats of clear on it to preserve it the way it is and just wax and play it.

It will be a few months before I get back to it. I'm building a motor for my 70 VW beetle and it's taking up the shop space I need to work on this, so it has to get done first. The more I look at the playfield, it seems like it would be a fun table. Can't wait to get it working.

EDIT, Actually yours looks a little less worn in some of the spots.

#35 10 years ago

^^^

if you aren't doing painting on the pf, there is no reason to clear it...

i would clean it really well, polish it (if necessary) and wax it... that will be all the protection it needs...

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from videorob:

I'm just glad this purchase went better than your first one.

We shall not speak of the one who shall not be named LOL.

I pretty much got this one for a song, and I don't have to worry about the boards being bad lol.

Live and learn I suppose.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

^^^
if you aren't doing painting on the pf, there is no reason to clear it...
i would clean it really well, polish it (if necessary) and wax it... that will be all the protection it needs...

Well, the thing is, I kinda like em beat up, as long as it dosen't affect gameplay, I don't know if I'll keep this forever, but I though if I cleared it, it wouldn't get worse.

From what I read, don't you usually clear them before touching up the playfield?

If I can just keep it waxed and prevent any further degradation, then I suppose I'll do that. I just don't want to ruin it for the next guy, if there is one.

#38 10 years ago

^^^

clean and wax should protect it just fine...

something to keep in mind... the "next guy" may consider it "ruined" if you clear it...

#39 10 years ago

Gotcha.. Thanks. Novus and Wax it is.

3 months later
#40 9 years ago

OK, So I'm finally getting around to this pin. Wifey said it stinks and I need to clean it before bringing it into the house.

I'd like to remove the playfield and the mechanicals from the cabinet before I clean it, how hard is this? I already have the backbox off.

Any recommendations on what to use (or not use) to clean the exterior? Any suggestions on removing the "bowling alley" smell?

Thanks!

#41 9 years ago

Fabreeze dryer sheets is a good start to settling the smell out of it. Leave a couple in there for a while.

#42 9 years ago

I did the baking soda box, and my "pin room" doesnt stink like the Liberty Belle anymore

#43 9 years ago

I use Mean Green for cleaning the outside of the Cabinet and Head. It's strong stuff and will get rid of a lot of nicotine yellowing but just make sure your not taking off paint as well.

Ken

#44 9 years ago

I always hear about Mean Green but I've never seen it, where can you get it?

How much effort is it to remove the bottom board and Playfield, Should I just leave it in there and clean around it? This isn't a restoration, but I would like it to be in as good of shape as possible.

Someone in another thread mentioned that you can use different chimes from another manufacturer that sound better, since mine is missing a few I thought I would replace them with better ones. Any info would be appreciated.

Dave, What does it smell like now? Beer and gymbag? lol, Just kidding!

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

By the way, that's not my house, that's where is sat for all those years

Thats good to know. That house has some serious black mold.

#46 9 years ago

Yea, another reason why I need to clean it well before I bring it in. Since I played it at PAPA I've been really wanting to get this working, Can't wait to play it!

#47 9 years ago

Can't wait to see it nice and shiny...

#48 9 years ago

Shiny might be stretching it, I'll settle for clean and playing

So, anyone pulled the guts out of one of these William's EM's? Is it a big deal or were they designed to have the control board removed for service?

#49 9 years ago

Mean Green is available at Dollar stores, at least where I have shopped.

Pulling the bottom board on a Williams is easy compared to any other make. Just unscrew the 2-3 big screws in the bottom board and unplug the Jones Plugs connecting it and you are set. Just make sure no wires are hung up when you are pulling the board out of the Cabinet.

Rebuilding an original Williams Chime Bar set is easy and the rebuild kit is available at Pinball Resource. I would stick with the original chimes as it will ring in a true Williams tone and help your resale value down the road.

Just my 2 cents.

Ken

#50 9 years ago

Thanks for the info about removing the guts. The gottlieb chimes do sound nice though.

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.