Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Dooskie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pinballroom5.18.17 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

If this has been posted before, my apologies. I did a quick search and didn't come up with what I was looking for.

We've finally found a contractor to build an addition on to our pro shop, which we are going to use for a pinball room. I want to have space for 20 pinball machines. Figuring that I have to have two doors for the room, could anybody tell me how big of a room we need to build? Currently, I'm figuring it at 18 feet wide by 22 feet long, which gives me a little bit of space between the machines, and enough room for people to get around while the machines are being used.

Also, can anybody give me an idea of what I should be looking at spending on this project?

Thanks in advance for your input.

#2 2 years ago

Not sure if it carries over to pinball rooms. . .
But when building a garage or shop Ive learned over the years to come up with a size you think will work. . . then add another 50-100%!

Seems even when you think you have enough space you wish you had just a little more. . .

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Not sure if it carries over to pinball rooms. . .
But when building a garage or shop Ive learned over the years to come up with a size you think will work. . . then add another 50-100%!
Seems even when you think you have enough space you wish you had just a little more. . .

After reading posts on Pinside over the past year and a half, the common theme is always 'just one more machine.' Unfortunately, I'm a little bit limited of how big I can build this, which probably isn't a bad thing.....

#4 2 years ago

The backboxes on modern sterns are 28" wide but many older games have 30" wide backboxes. That would mean you need at least a 25' long wall for 10 pins. I would make it a bit longer if you want space between heads and more room to reduce Jazz Hands and also for working on them.

I think the typical pin is just under 5' long but you need space for the person to stand and space behind the player for people to pass by. Assuming 3' for each player on each side that would leave you with about 2' for people to walk between.

Assuming the doors are in the center of the short walls I would go with at least a 20'.

also, don't forget that drywall and trim take up a few inches of space at each wall.

So, my recommendation is at least a 20'x30' room.

#5 2 years ago

The biggest thing is to remember to leave room for people and movement - Even if you have the pins head-to-head-to-head (which isn't ideal, but whatever) -- you need to have room between rows for people to be playing and moving. Too many people have games facing games with barely room to take the glass off. Since you're building space, build enough.

And don't discount room for places to sit down.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

The backboxes on modern sterns are 28" wide but many older games have 30" wide backboxes. That would mean you need at least a 25' long wall for 10 pins. I would make it a bit longer if you want space between heads and more room to reduce Jazz Hands and also for working on them.
I think the typical pin is just under 5' long but you need space for the person to stand and space behind the player for people to pass by. Assuming 3' for each player on each side that would leave you with about 2' for people to walk between.
Assuming the doors are in the center of the short walls I would go with 20'.
So, my recommendation is a 20'x30' room.

This.

If you're planning on running each half of the pins along the longer wall, then you'll probably want to substantially increase the dimension of the longer wall. 18' wide should be good as the pins will come off the wall about 5' from each side, leaving 8' in the middle for players. Unless you have two players back to back who are both in that "3 point stance" football style of stance, there should be more than enough room to pass.

22' long though won't be ample to hold 10 pins. You can't even squeeze 10 Aerosmith's, all backboxes abutted in that space. That would require 22.5' and you still want a few inches between backboxes, even more if you have cup holders between pins or on legs.

#7 2 years ago

I have a 11x24 foot room and I can only put 7 pins comfortably and still have room for guest. Door layout makes a big difference to obtain the most usable space. For 20 pins im seeing a 24x24 foot room minimum. Rather have enough in the beginning.

#8 2 years ago

in a commercial enviroment id go as big as you can and have less machines

#9 2 years ago

Unfortunately I'm a little limited by the dimensions of the current building, where our handicap ramp is located, and where our picnic area is. Even though this will be open to the public, I'm not seeing it as a high-traffic area, although once everything is up and going, I'd like to start a pinball club. So how many machines does a person need to keep it interesting for either a pinball club or a weekly pinball league?

pinballroom5.18.17 (resized).JPG

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

Unfortunately I'm a little limited by the dimensions of the current building, where our handicap ramp is located, and where our picnic area is. Even though this will be open to the public, I'm not seeing it as a high-traffic area, although once everything is up and going, I'd like to start a pinball club. So how many machines does a person need to keep it interesting for either a pinball club or a weekly pinball league?

The window on the left is where we'd have the door from the pro shop going into the room. Then just past the third window, where the concrete foundation ends, is where the end of the room would be. That's about 22 feet. I can easily come out 18 feet from the building, but you make a good point that I have to allow for drywall, etc. I'll have to figure out if I could squeeze 19 or 20 feet out of it.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

in a commercial enviroment id go as big as you can and have less machines

Squeezing too many together probably isn't the best idea when we have it open to the public, eh? Ugghhh. I just know I'm going to wish that I had more space. And I haven't even started to build this yet. Wonder how much my two dogs really like their kennel.......

#12 2 years ago

The other thing that people forget in the planning process is servicing the pin, i.e. sliding the playfield glass out. That means if you are going to slide the gals out without moving the pin from it's place figure 10' per pin. Also don't forget getting next to the pin to reach the backbox. A wall of pins right next to each looks cool, but you have to move them around to work on them....

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

Squeezing too many together probably isn't the best idea when we have it open to the public, eh? Ugghhh. I just know I'm going to wish that I had more space. And I haven't even started to build this yet. Wonder how much my two dogs really like their kennel.......

it great that you are trying this

i think that haveing 8-10 well maintained machines in a noncramped space would be best

#14 2 years ago

I think that haveing 8-10 well maintained machines in a noncramped space would be best

Could not agree more.

#15 2 years ago

I think 8 to 10 or even 12 to 14 if you want to go with more would be plenty. I know there are Bars that host tournaments and clubs with as few as 4 pins so yeah 20 is nice and if you have space fine, but cramped gamerooms to me kinda suck, 10 with room would be more fun for everyone. I can't stand playing when people walking down the aisle are constantly bumping into you!

#16 2 years ago

it great that you are trying this
i think that haveing 8-10 well maintained machines in a noncramped space would be best

This is a good number. A couple keepers and the rest to trade and sell when it's time to change things up.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

This is a good number. A couple keepers and the rest to trade and sell when it's time to change things up.

My problem is (at least one of my problems) that every machine I have I really like. Someone was in the pro shop the other day asking me which was my favorite. I looked at them and couldn't give him an answer. I really like playing each of them.

1 month later
#18 1 year ago

Got the drawing for the pinball addition to our pro shop. Pretty basic drawing, but I noticed there were no windows. So my question to everyone.....17x26 room....windows or no windows?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Appleton, WI
$ 149.00
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Kalamazoo, MI
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Buckner, MO
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 117.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 299.00
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside