• Latest reply 6 years ago by trab
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
20150801_082932.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Just purchased a TAF a couple days ago and have been going through it to get it working properly. I have ran into quite a few snags (bumpers blowing fuses, power cutting out when using both flippers, one magnet stuck on)

One thing i cant figure out is, when i first got the machine and shot with the plunger and it didnt make the ramp it would go into the swamp and i would hear, "have a nice swim". Well im not sure what i did but now this is never said anymore and when i fall into the swamp this way i get a graveyard award with 1 million points. Is this right or what did i do? Thanks

#2 6 years ago

hmmm

magnet stuck, locked on coil = transistor

bumpers blowing fuses = coil is shorted, find which one is causing the fuse to pop

both flipper for a reset = either wiggle Z connector or Bridge Rectifier / Caps Require Replacing

Plunger, make sure its hitting ball head on and game level - also make sure game has correct shooter rod spring should easily make the orbit all the way around to graveyard

any questions just ask

3 Addams Family Pins - so I have been there

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the help, most of the stuff i figured out and it was what you said on all of them. But the last thing, i dont have a problem with the shooter rod and it will send it around the graveyard. It seems like i have lost when Gomez says "have a nice swim". It used to say it when i started a new game and the ball fell into the swamp from the shooter rod. Now it just gives me a graveyard award and says nothing. Is that what its suppose to do?

#4 6 years ago

One of the switches in the swamp trough is not registering.

Put the game into test - switch edge test and test the swamp trough switches; there are 3 or 4 in there.

RM

#5 6 years ago

I just went through them, there are 4 in the swamp and i also tried a few more on the plunger ramp. All of them are registering, but i just found out that i am having a new problem. If i shoot multiple balls into the swamp, usually via the shooter ramp or if thing kicks them down to the swamp the game will loose track of the balls and begin searching for them and will not find them. If i turn the machine off then back on it will then kick them out of the swamp area, or if i pick up the field while its looking they will roll around and it will find them. I just took out the swamp and cleaned it and its spotless and all the switches are to.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from trab:

I just went through them, there are 4 in the swamp and i also tried a few more on the plunger ramp.

Did you test them with your finger or with a ball? Go into switch edge test and add one ball at a time and make sure everything looks good. Your latest issue sounds like one of the switches is going open when another ball goes in the swamp and bumps the previous balls.

Make sure the game is leveled properly, especially right to left.

#7 6 years ago

Just checked and game is level, i do have this sitting in the bottom of the cabinet, any idea where it goes? Maybe this is whats up. Thanks for all the help so far.

20150801_082932.jpg

#8 6 years ago

Like it was said b4 test swamp switches with the ball. I had same problem it was the second switch. Had to replace and adjust.

#9 6 years ago

Ok i just spent 10 straight minutes feeding balls into from all ways, even from THING and couldn't get it to get stuck. The switches are all being registered by the balls. I noticed one thing, when testing the kick will shoot the ball out and thats it. When actually playing the game it will kick the ball out and the kicker will go off usually 2-3 more times after the ball has come out. Is that normal?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from trab:

Just checked and game is level, i do have this sitting in the bottom of the cabinet, any idea where it goes? Maybe this is whats up. Thanks for all the help so far.

20150801_082932.jpg

This goes on the back left ramp covering the switch:

image.jpg

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from trab:

Ok i just spent 10 straight minutes feeding balls into from all ways, even from THING and couldn't get it to get stuck. The switches are all being registered by the balls. I noticed one thing, when testing the kick will shoot the ball out and thats it. When actually playing the game it will kick the ball out and the kicker will go off usually 2-3 more times after the ball has come out. Is that normal?

It may take some time troubleshooting as mine would get stuck there one in 50-100 games. I finally found that a spot weld was holding a ball from rolling all the way down if it wasn't coming down just fast enough. Check your pitch and quadruple check everything. I filed down the spot weld. Not that it's your case but you may need to spend some time watching and testing.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

I filed down the spot weld. Not that it's your case but you may need to spend some time watching and testing.

Also look for broken welds. The swamp can be troublesome at times to get tuned in. Someone used to make (may still make) a swamp accelerator that worked very well in resolving the swamp sensitivity.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Also look for broken welds. The swamp can be troublesome at times to get tuned in. Someone used to make (may still make) a swamp accelerator that worked very well in resolving the swamp sensitivity.

Agree totally. I put in new scoops and the Lee's Parts swamp accelerator. Very good mod.

#14 6 years ago

I have the accelerator on order, i adjusted some switches positions and it seemed to help just a little. I see the welds on the scoop coming out are broken, but im not sure that its the problem because i held them in place and it didnt help.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

This goes on the back left ramp covering the switch:

image.jpg

Thank you for that

#16 6 years ago

What size fuse do you use on the magnets so you don't get magnet burn when you have one stick?

#17 6 years ago

2 amp slo-blo.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/H-PMAGFUSE

They also have a "thermostat" which should offer better protection (I have not tried it).

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-102392

#18 6 years ago

The original plug and play magnet fuse protection is still available from leesparts.com

http://www.leesparts.com/products/addams-powermagnet-protection.html

For the record, Leesparts created the plug in version back in 2006 to allow anyone to easily protect their machine. While I certainly appreciate purchases through my site, the important thing is to add the fuses to prevent the possibility of burning your play field.

#19 6 years ago

My swamp problem was the switch in the bottom of the swamp that detects if there is a second ball in there. I had to bend the lever for the switch up just a hair for some weird reason.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from leesparts:

The original plug and play magnet fuse protection is still available from leesparts.com
http://www.leesparts.com/products/addams-powermagnet-protection.html
For the record, Leesparts created the plug in version back in 2006 to allow anyone to easily protect their machine. While I certainly appreciate purchases through my site, the important thing is to add the fuses to prevent the possibility of burning your play field.

Just ordered one from ya, although mine has a little burn on one side already.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside