New AC/DC Vault pictures - how do you feel about the art?

By spinal

3 months ago

Stats

• 39 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by thundergod76
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpeg
image.png
image.jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

#1 3 months ago

AC/DC Vault edition pics are out on Stern's Facebook page. Previous versions were a big hit for Stern with many pinheads proclaiming them to be some of the best Sterns ever made. Yet a great number also expressed that the art package left something to be desired.

How do you feel about the new and improved art package?

Was this rerelease a labour of love with the goal to honor one of the best pins ever made or just a quick and cheap as possible rerun cash grab?

Does Stern have a responsibility to respect the artform of pinball itself or only a responsibility as a business to profit?

Aerosmith, with original hand-drawn art by “Dirty” Donny Gillies brought this artform to a whole new level IMO. Should we judge other pins by this standard now or be fine with OK photoshop from the last decade?

Do you prefer hand-drawn art like Aerosmith over photoshop? It's not everyone's taste.

Perhaps there are not enough artists in the world capable of drawing or perhaps they cost too much or there was not enough time. Are there really so few artists? Some Photoshop changes might only cost 10K and artist 100K (say) so there is savings here aka more profit.

But perhaps, if enough people appreciate the extreme attention to detail found in AS, then the sales will justify the extra cost. More importantly care and attention will show how much Stern honors and respects the artform itself which might end up growing the market leading to even more profit. But who knows, it's just a business after all.

Damn it, what I guess I'm trying to say is I wished they had done more with the new AC/DC art as AS raised the bar. Maybe Donny raised the bar too high on AS?

More importantly, where should Stern go in the future? Imagine a Led Zeppelin pin coming out in the future. Should they photoshop or get Donny?

(Note: before you DV me for opening a discussion, recall that we live in the West where it's ok to have discussions about things and not just toe the line. It's OK to critique art for example. We all want the same thing in the end... the very best for this great hobby. And by the way, I think AC/DC was a great game and was hoping to by one in the future. This thread is only about art.)

Let's be respectful and discuss the art of AC/DC Vault edition. Thanks.

#2 3 months ago

The new playfield art

image (resized).jpeg

#3 3 months ago

image.jpeg

image.png

#4 3 months ago

Previous art (above). Aerosmith below.

image.jpeg

#5 3 months ago

It's still pretty heinous and it's unfortunate they couldn't get a total overhaul of the PF art. That being said, I still love ACDC and I would own one if I had the funds.

#6 3 months ago

I own an ACDC premium. I've always said the art was fugly, and I'm not changing my opinion because of 2 or 3 tweaked items.

#7 3 months ago

There is no relation between hand drawn art vs photoshop art and good art vs bad art.
Art can be hand drawn and stink as well as art can be photoshop and be amazing.
Example of a machine with great art, and it's photoshop art: Tron
Example of a machine with not so great art, and it's hand drawn art: SF2 (talking about the pf only)

I hope we stop confusing these 2 different subjects that are not linear with each other.

As for ACDC, that art is not an improvement. It's a simple cash grab from Stern.

#8 3 months ago

It's better than the original and sold at normal PRO pricing. Nothing wrong with that although I think more Luci's would be good.

#9 3 months ago

I'm ok with the art not changing, because they probably would have upped the price by another $1500 per model if they had. The game is, simply put, one of the best pinball machines ever made. It's a top ten game of all time, if you ask me, and I'm just glad that it will slow down the insane inflation in the secondhand market. Yeah, it would have been nice to see actual art improvements, but it doesn't change how great the game is to play.

#10 3 months ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

There is no relation between hand drawn art vs photoshop art and good art vs bad art.
Art can be hand drawn and stink as well as art can be photoshop and be amazing.
Example of a machine with great art, and it's photoshop art: Tron
Example of a machine with not so great art, and it's hand drawn art: SF2 (talking about the pf only)
I hope we stop confusing these 2 different subjects that are not linear with each other.
As for ACDC, that art is not an improvement. It's a simple cash grab from Stern.

It's a valid point you make however when I say "hand-drawn" I'm referring to modern hand-drawn like GB and AS.

#11 3 months ago

Yeah....I think I might have to add this one to the collection.

#12 3 months ago

Some people want hot chicks even if theyre donkeys in bed and don't know how to cook or process a thought. And some prefer wild animals in bed that will cook you a 3 course meal after. I prefer the latter. Simply put, if you want a looker - AS is your girl. If you want someone to rock your world in all directions - AC/DC will be For you.

Nothing wrong with either; choose your preference. AC/DC didnt make it in the top 10 for its artwork... just saying.

#13 3 months ago

i really don't think about the art (or care for that matter)

This is AC/DC, which is one of sterns most fun risk/reward machines imo. i'm more concerned with the cheap parts they will continue to use, while increasing machine prices.

#14 3 months ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Some people want hot chicks even if theyre donkeys in bed and don't know how to cook or process a thought. And some prefer wild animals in bed that will cook you a 3 course meal after. I prefer the latter. Simply put, if you want a looker - AS is your girl. If you want someone to rock your world in all directions - AC/DC will be For you.
Nothing wrong with either; choose your preference. AC/DC didnt make it in the top 10 for its artwork... just saying.

Sure, but when you create something like this rerelease, you can improve things like the art especially when the play is already so solid. So I don't see how your analogy holds here. My point here is that's it's a missed opportunity to improve upon the one thing that cried out for improvement - the art.

#15 3 months ago
Quoted from spinal:

My point here is that's it's a missed opportunity to improve upon the one thing that cried out for improvement - the art.

They did improve it with the least amount of cost they could. Still an improvement. It's a pro, made for operators. Now what they do with the Prem. That's a totally different story. I'm hopeful that they make a complete different skins.

#16 3 months ago

Forgot to mention that I am a little miffed that they took Phil off the artwork.

If this was a hip hop machine, they would glorify the entire translite with someone who was a lifer for murder.

#17 3 months ago

I'd rather see more VEs like this than like B66 and SM. Glad to see a Pro.

#18 3 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Forgot to mention that I am a little miffed that they took Phil off the artwork.
If this was a hip hop machine, they would glorify the entire translite with someone who was a lifer for murder.

What did Phil? I don't follow AC/DC.

#19 3 months ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

What did Phil? I don't follow AC/DC.

Threatened to kill somebody. Might have paid someone to do it, maybe?

#20 3 months ago

The original Pro artwork made me cringe because of Angus's giant mug on it front and center. It was a good move to replace that area of the artwork with something else. Nobody's face should be that big on a playfield.

#21 3 months ago

The face on the original Pro was an iconic image from an iconic album.

ACDC is ugly. Rock and roll is ugly. It's supposed to be ugly, and if you don't care for the art, that's okay, because the game is still awesome.

These guys didn't learn to play instruments because they were handsome.

#22 3 months ago

I actually prefer the old face. And I know I made a decal to cover it, but I just did it for fun for people who wanted it, I don't have any real hate. But it's not like the new change sticks out funny, it's just more of the same of what was already there.

Honestly I don't think it really matters. It's not a game anyone loves for the art package, and is proof that all our art whining doesn't really amount to shit in the end anyways.

Besides, if they're not improving it it means my Premium won't be hard to unload, I'm kinda tired of the game, should have gotten off my ass to sell before the vault, I'd heard the same rumors everyone else did.

#23 3 months ago

I love my premium as is, and I think as high of demand there was for the game as is, it makes sense for stern to literally just reproduce more as is. If it had beautiful art like Aerosmith, I would have considered selling mine and then having to fork out more money to get the same game, so really I'm kind of happy it's the same. It's a great game, and I've never hated the art on any of the models. Good for new owners that have been wanting a great game.

#24 3 months ago

The value of my BIBLE is undoubtedly secure at this point. Personally I was fine with the Premium as is. I had 2 Premiums before getting my LE. It's an awesome game, and while the Photoshopness of the PF looks cheap up close, I think the game looks awesome turned on and really isn't that bad.

The pictures of these Pro's looks so cheap and stripped down, I can't imagine ever owning one. With the train missing and the band being a large plastic, on top of the face redo, it just looks cheap as hell. Put this next to a AS Pro with a color display, it's like why would anyone bother with a ACDC Pro Vault at this point.

#25 3 months ago

If people are are willing to pay $8500+ for HUO premiums with the old art package, how is $7600 NIB not a win?

#26 3 months ago

Is Stern officially calling this a vault edition? Because it really isn't IMO. It's just a limited re-release to cash in on the over inflated prices on the secondary market. A second chance to purchase one of Stern's best pins ever. Only major difference is the elimination of the dreaded Angus face. Am I missing something else here?

#27 3 months ago

I owned a premium and sold it a while ago. When the VE was announced I was excited and was seriously considering the purchase. From what I see, I'm going to pass on it. I was hoping for some more effort (artwork, LCD, etc).

#28 3 months ago

If someone local wants to dump their old "ugly" pro, I would be willing to take it off of your hands. Angus' mug doesn't really bother me.

#29 3 months ago

I'm pretty indifferent about the new art package. I actually prefer the Angus face as it was an iconic ACDC image vs. a Photoshop collage. I have never really had much interest in the Pro though as it is extremely stripped down compared to the Premium.

I was really hoping for an all new hand-drawn art package and would have ordered a Premium if it had a great art package. I still really like the game but will probably not order a NIB but rather wait for a HUO original to pop up for a decent price. ACDC Prem is a game I crossed off my WTB list a while back once the used price exceeded the NIB price. Now with the VE it coming I may just be in the market again for one although I'm also interested in other games such as Star Wars, Alien, Met, and Dialed In. With a hand drawn art package it would have been #1 on my list and a must-buy game.

#30 3 months ago

Just put these bad boys on your new ACDC and the artwork no longer matters (I installed mine last weekend and love them)

» YouTube video

#31 3 months ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Is Stern officially calling this a vault edition? Because it really isn't IMO. It's just a limited re-release to cash in on the over inflated prices on the secondary market. A second chance to purchase one of Stern's best pins ever. Only major difference is the elimination of the dreaded Angus face. Am I missing something else here?

That makes it EXACTLY the same thing as Iron Man. They may not not be calling it "vault" but by the iron man original vault definition it's exactly what it is. Spider-Man wasn't really a vault as it had different art and software and a much higher price point.

AC/DC has been out of production for years and it's being made available again at the current pro price. That makes it a vault.

#32 3 months ago

I didn't have an issue with the face before. It was never a great art package. The changes don't make it any better or worse. It does make it feel half assed, because they did the absolute minimum. Actually the more I look at it the less I like it. The face kinda hid all the other flaws. Now I just see a dude dressed in black with a black frame, WTF is the point? The guy below does not have a frame?

#33 3 months ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Is Stern officially calling this a vault edition? Because it really isn't IMO. It's just a limited re-release to cash in on the over inflated prices on the secondary market. A second chance to purchase one of Stern's best pins ever.

(That's what a Vault Edition is.)

#34 3 months ago

Personally what I like is getting rid of devil horns. Not that I think I'll be getting ACDC since I'm not a fan of the band and really don't want young grandkids seeing Hell and any reference to the devil since 2 know how to read.

Probably falls into category of TWD, BSD AC/DC I would like but can't swing in the household.

#35 3 months ago

I would have liked to see something bold, like an if you want blood image there. Or just a giant black rectangle.

#36 3 months ago

The fly on the wall art work was sick back in the day. Anyone remember the fly from the video and album cover? Great animation and art to draw from there. But acdc is so good , one of Sterns best and one of the best pins period.

Just release more lucis and regular pros and premiums and everyone will be happy. No change needed. Its like trying to improve maple syrup or chocolate.

Its so good the way it is to tamper with it could mess it up

I would LOVE a luci!

#37 3 months ago

The new art is just as fugly and I'm glad I had my fill with ACDC so I don't need this one.

#38 3 months ago

I prefer the new artwork over the face artwork. The pro is hella fun and a totally different game than the premium. I'm glad more are being made.

#39 3 months ago

Thanks for setting me straight Levi and Steve.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 18.99
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lehigh Valley, PA
$ 24.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bakersfield, CA
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinbology
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 194.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 38.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 24.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Decals
Hookedonpinball.com
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.