By Trekkie1978

3 months ago

Stats

• 475 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 45 minutes ago by TimeBandit
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 27 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Ghost_World-_too_stupid-_poison-_edit-8065 (resized).jpg
f18b22052d02983ffbeb39a97d67db3d (resized).jpg
IMG_1351 (resized).JPG
IMG_2082 (resized).PNG
Unknown (resized).png
IMG_2355 (resized).jpg
IMG_2356 (resized).jpg
IMG_4798 (resized).JPG
IMG_2342 (resized).JPG
IMG_2340 (resized).JPG
Unknown (resized).png
4c4928d3-41c1-43b4-adbb-fb00bac4f23f_1000 (resized).jpg
detail (resized).jpg
IMG_0732 (resized).JPG
IMG_7556 (resized).jpg
tyronebiggums (resized).jpg

There are 475 posts in topic. You are on page 7 of 10.
#301 3 months ago

Didn't mean to come off like a prick last night...Axl is a skanky Hoosier who doesn't even know how to spell his own name. But I did catch some YouTube of his gigs with Angus...HOLY HELL. Nailed it.

#302 3 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I thought axl was good on the Brian stuff but really shined on the Bon stuff. And like I said they mixed in some more of those songs which was great.

Interesting. I never considered how bringing in another vocalist in could bring more Bon Scott songs into play. If Brian doesn't return, I hope they can find a Bon sound-alike.

#303 3 months ago

Looks like Axl has joined the band permanently.

#304 3 months ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Why do some get so upset when remakes or vaults are done? MMr AFMr IMVE SMVE ACDCVE...
There WILL be others like MBr, LOTRVE, TRONVE. What's the big deal?

They don't like getting butt hurt on their.... "investments".

#305 3 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I am sincerely happy for the folks that want this awesome machine yet have been pushed outta the market by all this rampant greed.

In related news, Gryszzz will soon be listing the ACDC he just bought from Iceman. He got a great deal when he bought it, by all accounts, so the $12k he plans to sell it for should turn him a hefty profit.

#306 3 months ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I don't care for the coffin lock because it needs the special tool. I like how the new style uses the same head size bolts as the legs. Just makes it a lot easier.
I like the LED DMD better than the plasma, due to the anti-glare film I use. It dims the plasma a little bit, but doesn't dim the LED. With the LED, that's one less board in the back box.
I hope the updated premium has an all new translite.

What? You've got me scratching my head now. Having to install two bolts is easier than just turning a single handle?

What special tool are you talking about? Their are no special tools needed for the coffin lock.

#307 3 months ago
Quoted from Frax:

hy·po·thet·i·cal
ˌhīpəˈTHedək(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: hypothetical

IMG_0732 (resized).JPG

#308 3 months ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I've heard this as well. BM66 premium sales have been downright awful.
AS has been WAY better than expected though. Surprise hit.

Between B66 LE and SLE that's $3.6 million in sales. Of course I don't know what that breaks down to in profit, but even if they didn't sell one Premium - that doesn't seem like a financial flop to me. Anyway - B66 was front loaded to mega-nostalgists, scalpers, and OCD richies. If they expected to sell many after that, it would have to sell on the merits of the game (fail) and value (fail).

#309 3 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Between B66 LE and SLE that's $3.6 million in sales. Of course I don't know what that breaks down to in profit, but even if they didn't sell one Premium - that doesn't seem like a financial flop to me. Anyway - B66 was front loaded to mega-nostalgists, scalpers, and OCD richies. If they expected to sell many after that, it would have to sell on the merits of the game (fail) and value (fail).

Queue Iceman......3....2....1

#310 3 months ago
Quoted from 85vett:

What? You've got me scratching my head now. Having to install two bolts is easier than just turning a single handle?
What special tool are you talking about? Their are no special tools needed for the coffin lock.

detail (resized).jpg

#311 3 months ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Queue Iceman......3....2....1

Who?

#312 3 months ago
Quoted from Frax:

I've been telling you people for YEARS that you need to be playing Thunderstruck and stacking it in with multiballs....

This is what I like to do. I am trying to figure out the best time to do in to max score. Can you link a post that talks about this?

#313 3 months ago

Ugh, I hate the new heads on the games. The power switch in the head and the two bolts suck. Terrible design. Nothing will be better than the old latch system, but the previous Stern locks were better than the new style.

#314 3 months ago
Quoted from jar155:

Ugh, I hate the new heads on the games. The power switch in the head and the two bolts suck. Terrible design. Nothing will be better than the old latch system, but the previous Stern locks were better than the new style.

AC/DC still has the power switch under the cabinet. Just like Star Trek, Walking Dead, Iron Man VE, Spider-Man VE, Mustang, etc.

#315 3 months ago

Damn things are on the line already in the live video, playfields assembled.

#316 3 months ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Damn things are on the line already in the live video, playfields assembled.

Not enough Aerosmith orders to keep the line full.

#317 3 months ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

That's just a regular allen key. Somewhat larger than usual but nothing special about it.

#318 3 months ago
Quoted from KJL:

This is what I like to do. I am trying to figure out the best time to do in to max score. Can you link a post that talks about this?

I've found that the most lucrative modes are Hells Bells (utilization of VIP pass to extend multipliers on Prem) and TNT. I like thunderstruck but I've found the switch to TNT has increased my average scoring for a MB. If you can get the target quick enough you can have 750K shots (un-multiplied) across the PF. Clear then and start over.

#319 3 months ago
Quoted from jar155:

Not enough Aerosmith orders to keep the line full.

Seemed to be the just about the only cabinets in the lineup, Aerosmith and AC/DC.

#320 3 months ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I think the VEs are a definite improvement over the original. Better speaker panel, sticker on the panel, LED DMD (if original was plasma), metal backbox, no coffin lock and the game already has finished code. What's not to like?

The metal backbox, the no coffin lock, the speaker panel

ACDC was already a LED display and LED lights on the playfield.

#321 3 months ago
Quoted from aerobert:

That's just a regular allen key. Somewhat larger than usual but nothing special about it.

How many people have one lying around?

#322 3 months ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I have several. Each game came with one that needed it. You just keep it in the cabinet and it's always easy to find.

#323 3 months ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

An Allen key?! Never been to Ikea or basically bought anything that needed to be assembled in the last 20 years. I bet I have ten of them in my junk drawer.

#324 3 months ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Quoted from jar155:

I have several. Each game came with one that needed it. You just keep it in the cabinet and it's always easy to find.

+1. Each game that came with one I have it sitting in the coin box.

#325 3 months ago
Quoted from jar155:

Let me rephrase it. I own a construction company. I have every kind of tool at my disposal...Allen keys in that size are never used/needed.

Secondly, I'm sure people lose them over the years. Don't think so short sighted that everyone has pins that use them. Go into the average home, you'll find a socket set 100% of the time before you find an Allen key that is big enough to work the specific pinball coffin lock.

#326 3 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Pinny you are too kind sir, thanks for makin a girl feel special. But it was really just 2 pages of me talking to myself about songs that won't get put in for a year.
Hope to have a beer or 30 with ya at SFGE.

You are headed to SFGE?! Aweome. See you there.

#327 3 months ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

They came with every game. Everyone locks the backbox and then puts the Allen wrench in the coinbox.

#328 3 months ago

Well, I had to buy one. what? 5 bucks in any store. Very common....

Still managed to misplace mine lol, but I still believe they're nothing "special".

Back to topic then...

#329 3 months ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Let me rephrase it. I own a construction company. I have every kind of tool at my disposal...Allen keys in that size are never used/needed.
Secondly, I'm sure people lose them over the years. Don't think so short sighted that everyone has pins that use them. Go into the average home, you'll find a socket set 100% of the time before you find an Allen key that is big enough to work the specific pinball coffin lock.

If you buy a set of allen keys, you'll have one of the size you need. Most people who have any set of tools have a set of allen keys around. Sheesh you make it seem like its some mythical tool. Its not. Very common.

#330 3 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They came with every game. Everyone locks the backbox and then puts the Allen wrench in the coinbox.

I just leave mine in the bb. It's not going anywhere.

#331 3 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

If you buy a set of allen keys, you'll have one of the size you need. Most people who have any set of tools have a set of allen keys around. Sheesh you make it seem like its some mythical tool. Its not. Very common.

This is what people usually have around the house.

Secondly, I think this is proof we have boring lives...we are arguing about allen keys.

4c4928d3-41c1-43b4-adbb-fb00bac4f23f_1000 (resized).jpg

#332 3 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't know where the numbers came from, but Premiums are always the lowest produced version of any game. So technically, they really don't dig into sales numbers. They're basically "gravy" sales.

The only exception is Metallica. Which sold a s**t-ton of premiums.

#333 3 months ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

This is what people usually have around the house.
Secondly, I think this is proof we have boring lives...we are arguing about allen keys.

All the new Sterns you have, and you haven't saved one of these that come with every machine

#334 3 months ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

Well, was searching the foreign websites on this vault release, and for the first time Stern is doing a "LE" version of the pro for $1K more.. a special run of 100 games. Here's the leaked photo:

So hawt!

#335 3 months ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

how have sales been minuscule? Where do you get this information from?

Talking to distributors in several countries, and very little evidence of many sales.

I know you bought one, but you know full well that sales have been poor to abysmal.

#336 3 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

So what incentive do they have to keep coding it if that vast majority of revenue was in LE and SLEs, which have all already sold? I doubt more than a handful more Premiums will sell, unless they heavily cut the price (not happening).

Releases with front loaded revenue have been horribly supported. See KISS and WWE.

#337 3 months ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

When the game is new, from Data East, Sega, Sega Stern, to Stern, one came with in the cash box.

If gone, trot yourself to the hardware store and get a 5/16" allen wrench. Or find a screw driver that fits in the hole.

LTG : )

#338 3 months ago

I don't know where the numbers came from, but Premiums are always the lowest produced version of any game. So technically, they really don't dig into sales numbers. They're basically "gravy" sales.
The only exception is Metallica. Which sold a s**t-ton of premiums.

Wrong. 500 AC/DC LE's ...thousands of Premiums sold. 500 Ghostbusters LE's. Thousands of Premiums sold. 500 Walking Dead LE's. Thousands of Premiums sold.

Very few games have Premium flops...it's only when the game itself isn't desirable, like Avengers. Or perhaps when the LE has bigger numbers like Star Trek...wouldn't be surprised if they sold more than 800 ST Premiums, though.

#339 3 months ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

So what incentive do they have to keep coding it if that vast majority of revenue was in LE and SLEs, which have all already sold?

If they want to be dicks, none. However, if a game has shit code - that affects sales of the NEXT game....as burnt customers won't bite if there are a bunch of games that already need work....that kills confidence in the next games. I've always said - finished code on a FLOP benefits the company as a whole. Stern has proven that they will work on a flop. Avengers got a code update long after it was out of production. BDK got a code update 2 years after its release...and due to excitement over the code drop, they even made a new batch of games (that's when I bought mine, in 2010 due to the new code). Word is Kiss update is dropping soon.

I don't believe Stern ever abandons a game due to unit sales. It always comes down to priorities...they have so many projects and only so many employees to work on them. They do what they gotta do...I don't think there's ever malice involved when code isn't finished.

#340 3 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Wrong. 500 AC/DC LE's ...thousands of Premiums sold. 500 Ghostbusters LE's. Thousands of Premiums sold. 500 Walking Dead LE's. Thousands of Premiums sold.
Very few games have Premium flops...it's only when the game itself isn't desirable, like Avengers. Or perhaps when the LE has bigger numbers like Star Trek...wouldn't be surprised if they sold more than 800 ST Premiums, though.

They sold more ST Premiums than any other non Pro SKU AFAIK, excluding LotR and PotC.

#341 3 months ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

They sold more ST Premiums than any other non Pro SKU AFAIK, excluding LotR and PotC.

Dang! Star Trek seems to have been a sorta under the radar hit, eh? I honestly thought it would end up a decent selling game, nothing special...but looks like it's struck a chord with buyers!

#342 3 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You're misinterpreting. Pros outsell them all worldwide. That's what I'm saying.

#343 3 months ago

You're misinterpreting. Pros outsell them all worldwide. That's what I'm saying.

Gotcha. Yes, that makes sense. You said Premiums were the lowest selling...not compared to the LE, though.

#344 3 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If they want to be dicks, none. However, if a game has shit code - that affects sales of the NEXT game....as burnt customers won't bite if there are a bunch of games that already need work....that kills confidence in the next games. I've always said - finished code on a FLOP benefits the company as a whole. Stern has proven that they will work on a flop. Avengers got a code update long after it was out of production. BDK got a code update 2 years after its release...and due to excitement over the code drop, they even made a new batch of games (that's when I bought mine, in 2010 due to the new code). Word is Kiss update is dropping soon.
I don't believe Stern ever abandons a game due to unit sales. It always comes down to priorities...they have so many projects and only so many employees to work on them. They do what they gotta do...I don't think there's ever malice involved when code isn't finished.

If it were someone else, given their ongoing PR issues, I could imagine it, especially given the assurances Gomez gave. But Lyman is clearly their most senior software engineer, as well as game coder, given that he was apparently responsible for Spike 2. Are they really going to tie him up on a machine that's going to bring in little to no future revenue, and not much past revenue? Highly unlikely. Perhaps they pass it on to someone else though.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Dang! Star Trek seems to have been a sorta under the radar hit, eh? I honestly thought it would end up a decent selling game, nothing special...but looks like it's struck a chord with buyers!

Not 100%. But it's certainly a consistent story when I've spoken to some distributors in the past. It shouldn't really be surprising though. It's an iconic theme, and the ST Premium and LE were more loaded than any other Stern, and certainly looked better lit up, given the full RGB inserts.

Potentially it's an awesome machine, but it needs its update to fix a bunch of bugs, IMO. After spending more time with it, despite initially preferring it to Met, AC/DC & TWD, I just find it too far behind all 3 of those in stability of game code. Lyman said he was helping Dwight fix the bugs this time last year, for the update ..... tumble weed, as usual, since.

#345 3 months ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

If it were someone else, given their ongoing PR issues, I could imagine it, especially given the assurances Gomez gave. But Lyman is clearly their most senior software engineer, as well as game coder, given that he was apparently responsible for Spike 2. Are they really going to tie him up on a machine that's going to bring in little to no future revenue, and not much past revenue? Highly unlikely. Perhaps they pass it on to someone else though.

It will help future revenue, though....think anyone will ever buy a $15k SLE again if Batman doesn't get finished? Finished old games help new games. IMO.

Lyman always comes through....sure, there are those who wish he'd come back for a few extra bits of biz (like the people who still want an ACDC update) ...but he always eventually gets it to the point where it's a well thought out, deep and cohesive experience. It might take a while though...and I guess that's up to B66 owners to have patience, and Stern prob hopes once that "big update" drops, people will wanna buy Premiums.

#346 3 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It will help future revenue, though....think anyone will ever buy a $15k SLE again if Batman doesn't get finished? Finished old games help new games. IMO.

Honestly. Yes. Maybe some SLE customers are disappointed, but I suspect it's what most expected. Also, in this case I really don't think it will have much effect on future revenue. Much less than other machines which need code, or code has been promised. After the initial reveal and then subsequent gameplay that was shown, it was a machine on so few people's radars. I just don't see how they could justify keeping Lyman on it.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Lyman always comes through....sure, there are those who wish he'd come back for a few extra bits of biz (like the people who still want an ACDC update) ...but he always eventually gets it to the point where it's a well thought out, deep and cohesive experience. It might take a while though...and I guess that's up to B66 owners to have patience, and Stern prob hopes once that "big update" drops, people will wanna buy Premiums.

The Premiums will never sell ... they're way more expensive and look way cheaper and more barren than Aerosmith Pro ... and the LCD .. the difference is colossal.

#347 3 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

600 Walking dead LE's

#348 3 months ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

All the new Sterns you have, and you haven't saved one of these that come with every machine

Only my Transformers has the coffin lock.

Star Trek came with the updated backbox, but with a 1/4" (?) allen wrench to screw the 2 bolts in. KISS came with current bolts for the backbox.

I believe during the Star Trek run is when they switched over to the bolts.

#349 3 months ago

I loved it when i would have a game in my collection for a year+ and invite friends over in which one would lean their arm up on the back box and notice that the back box could have folded on us(me) at any point in time. Those coffin locks were just a disaster waiting to happen. Bring on the new locks!

And the lockdown bar latch system; i wasnt a fan at first, but now that i have one game with and one without, yea the new latch system is way better. Keeps that lockdown bar firm in place and is easier to lockdown without readjusting the lockbar.

Power switch; i could care less. New location just makes it a little harder for my 4 year old to power the games on and off which is a good thing! lol.

#350 3 months ago

The only thing missing from getting a new premium is not having that awesome Aurich translite to put in the game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
8,200 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Bloomington, IN
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 9.95
$ 9.95
$ 38.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 24.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinbology
9,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Utah County, UT
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Decals
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Mods
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 380.00
Lighting - Interactive
...redshiftLED
There are 475 posts in topic. You are on page 7 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.