Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 411 posts
  • 133 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20201111-181329_Chrome (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20201111-172630_Messages (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    8E975026-5F57-4A44-B207-5004707E7E3B (resized).png
    IMG_5904 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5903 (resized).JPG
    legs (resized).jpg
    atat (resized).jpg
    61D3689B-7193-4158-9A0B-6865F67D6D45 (resized).jpeg
    3D923CDC-21C9-46EB-A987-62252294A8FC (resized).jpeg
    0FF49532-7A0E-4F98-BD39-DE879F388F12 (resized).jpeg
    7D2EE22E-954F-49AD-911E-218E68E2868A (resized).png
    multi pinball (resized).jpg
    7DD41993-B63F-4F7F-9E90-A77CBA429571 (resized).jpeg
    EEE6FFF8-E932-456D-8C74-8E7652D98009 (resized).jpeg
    188F9F30-F536-459B-9317-8FDB2CA3969F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider diospinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#60 4 years ago

Okay....
    So I actually pre-ordered this. Here's my thoughts... I really, really do enjoy playing vpin games. Whether its on a virtual pinball cab(never played on a real one yet), or on a computer/laptop, or on my ps4. I have lots of games on my ps4, like I think about 50 tables from the pinball arcade. Its a great way to learn the rules and also a great way to practice video modes.

In fact. I wowed my father when we played a T2 at the Wheeling Expo. I got the video mode and I completed it. He was like that was amazing. And I told him... Its because I got a lot of practice to be able to do it that well(and I do mean a lot). So, I like VPINS....

Now, they're not real pins, and not as cool. But, real pins are heavy, they take up a lot of space and you're limited to how much you can have. SO I really do want one nice vpin in my collection.
    This pin won't be that nice VPIN in my collection. But, i think it will be a nice start. And I hope to support this. And I do think if there is a 2nd wave that is nicer... I could always gift this to my father, and he would enjoy one of these...

So it stinks that the playfield is a bit small. I hope someone will mod a real bigger screen. Because, to me that is my biggest disappointment with this cab.

I don't mind it having tilt buttons. That is fine, because this is a video game anyway.

The 2nd biggest thing I hate... It has a translite or backbox and not another lcd display. So that is a bit disappointing to me. Because, when you play the other games, you won't get the cool backbox art. Or the swirling black hole effect.
    There is a minor silver lining... When turned off, you will still get to see the really cool haunted house display. But, I really rather you get the display change for all the games.

So one of hte games is Centigrade and that has some meter that rises during the gameplay. So, they can't do that effect. And to me that is a big, big bummer. Don't know if its a game breaking issue. As I don't think I ever played one virtually or in person.

One last round of thoughts... I think this could be the company that does Pinball arcade working with the toy company. I think they have the gottlieb rights and they also of course had all the 3d models of the tables. So it could be their software and they could be pairing up with a company...
    I think that is great news for the future. As I said I really want a nice vpin one day.
    And I have started to make my own and invested about 3-4k worth into one... And I don't like it... I don't like Visual pinball. I think its flaky and not worth the hassle. I also hate building stuff. And I also don't like the fact that I build a computer... and yet even if I get things to pop up via a pinball x or other interface... Windows is still running. I rather a real dedicated system to run it. Just my preference.

So I think this is a step in the right direction...
    Lets hope it doesn't have any flipper lag, or screen lag and that it emulates the tables well.If it does. It could be a great party machine. To bring to a friends house or family function. I think I'll bring it to my christmas parties. Can't really bring a full sized pinball...

Sorry about the novel... But, this thing has me a bit excited. Not just for this unit, but for the stuff to come in the future.
    And yeah.. the 12 games are a bit blah... Some good ones... Some not so good. Still... I know I'd never want to own a black hole or haunted house ever... So this is a bit cool. Get the look of the haunted house and can learn all the rules(not much I know, but they're there).

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from Elvisinmypants:

"You know me guys, I luv pinball Gotlube ? How you say it?"

I think I know the youtube video you are referring to. And I wouldn't doubt that most of his pinball experience is from virtual games, and even then not that much... But, hey... Do what makes you happy.

But, yeah... He didn't really know the choices or even get why dmd games are not there.
    It would take a better gpu and processor than these games are going to have.

But, really the game selection isn't that bad... Some of the sound effects might get on your nerves though. But, Haunted House and Black Hole are classics.
    TX sector is decent game. And I never played big shot in person, but I enjoyed it on pinball arcade. Same with El dorado. Nice shooter pins. Horrible sounds for el dorado. Those get old fast. So while none of the games really on the list are fast paced flashy pinball games. They are a nice mix of playfield designs and for the most part solid shooting games. Not a lot of games I'd like to play for hours on end.
    But, I also think these were chosen because, they wouldn't have to animate anything crazy or even lots of different light flashes.

Sorry for the double post. But, this is the kind of cool stupid toy that really does excite me a lot. As I'd be willing to pay 4-5k for a really nice slick looking vpin one day with like 100-200 tables on it. All officially licensed. And I think this could be that step in the direction... With that being said. Of course vpins are less than a real pin. But, I am not rich and live in a small house. So I think this will look nice in one of my game rooms(I'm a bachelor so I have more than 1 game room... hell my friends say my whole house is a game room or arcade).

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

You lost me at “okay”.

Yeah... I'm also as chatty in person. My best friend jokes with me and says that in a 30 minute conversion people get to say hi and bye to me and then its all me talking...

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

So looks like they already plan to release other titles next year.
    Higher legs and a 32" monitor would be a nice hack.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/687692665087322/[quoted image]

Some of those games are dmd games... How they hell do you play a dmd game without a dmd.
    As I said before I'm actually intrigued about this product... And I did preorder one. But, I would not purchase one of these if it has the plain alphanumeric display for a dmd style game.
    They should just use games that are pre-dmd if they will not go that route...
    A black hole could be cool... But, I bet they would do the backglass image as a static image and not have the spinning blackhole effect... If they did however... That might be nice....

Still the first arcade1ups were just full of issues, and the newer waves got better and better.So.. I do hold out that there is hope... But, these to me don't seem like an improvement over the first wave. Too many too soon... I think they might blow their wad and poison the well for the future offerings... Yes, I know I mixed metaphors, but lets be honest. If someone blew their wad into your well... I'm pretty sure you'd treat it as if it was indeed poisoned.

#113 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Fear not. DMD/LCD is being talked about. Probably be similar to the SW home pin but better then nothing.[quoted image]

Interesting... Looks like my pops might get one after all... As I'd probably want one of the DmD ones... Hope they also... make it to where you can purchase and load table packs. Who really would want like 10 of these in their house.

One for me sure... One DMD one sure... That's 2... One for my pops... Okay 3... Lucky I can't fit pinballs up my stairs... So I do have a whole upstairs to fill with games and arcade1ups...

#116 4 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yeah this is definitely Pinball Arcade the video game. Just play them on your iPad.
    They didn’t even bother to put an accelerometer in this thing. The extra buttons on the front and side are for “nudges”. At best this thing gets hacked together for all of Pinball Arcade on a single machine.
    But to each their own. I’m sure some grandkids will enjoy it for a couple of afternoons.

Ohhh its a toy no doubt. No matter how awesome any VPin is though. Its still just a video game. Nothing right now can emulate or replicate the speed, the fury, of an actual pinball machine.
    But, I think these will be fun to learn the rules of the games on. Help give you a litlte more realistic feel than just the tv screen or tablet screen. Be a nifty little decoration in your house.

And also a heck of a lot easier to transport and lug around. Be fun to bring one or two of these things to a family party... Or heck any party(so long as they won't deface them). I'll probably bring my Haunted House to my office christmas party and also to both of my family parties I attend. And I know all me young neices and nephews will enjoy it... As the first thing they say to me always is... DID YOU BRING THE PIE!!!!! They love the raspberry pi that I have loaded with games, and I do bring it down most of the time to play retro games with them. They love Sunset Riders, The Simpsons, The X-men, and even Cowboys of Moo Mesa. We mostly play beat em ups. Because, its easier for everyone to get a turn... They do like turtles as well... But, they really love Sunset Riders.

#118 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

I ordered one and I am certain the grandkids will enjoy it.

You ordered one even though you got at least 2 of the 12 games... Just ribbing you a bit.
    You got an amazing collection. I wish I could be one of your grandkids!! As I'd always be begging my parents to sleep over your place.

#119 4 years ago
    Quoted from lint:

which El Dorado is actually included? pics show the remake "city of gold" but the promo video with grandparents shows the original?

I thought the layout is the same for all of them. The only difference was sounds and artwork.

I will say... the El Dorado City of Gold was made in pinball arcade and I bet its the same company that is behind this product. So most likely its that one.

#128 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I wish they would have put gladiators on the first run. Guess I'm one of the few who actually likes gotliebs. Hopefully there will be black Friday or boxing day deals on these. I'd buy one if discounted. Would be easy to transport for cheap entertainment at bbqs, functions, traveling, etc

I don't know myself if cue ball wizard or gladiators will be the dmd one that I'll be getting... That is provided they do a dmd one... Might have the same games just different looks... The DMDs might have less games on them opposed to the others... But, I enjoy some Gottliebs.. But, I'm not a pinball snob. I think a fun game is a fun game.

And I like to cheat at gladiators and time out its modes. Its a bit easy to get to the wizard mode in that one. As the modes don't last long, and you don't have to do anything to qualify for them, except for making the mode start saucer shot.
    And Gladitors might have some of the best dots for a Gottlieb DMD... That's not saying much as most Gottlieb dmd games were a bit meh... In both theme and dots...

But, I really think Gottlieb shined in the em and ss era. They just struggled a bit to adapt in the dmd era.

#134 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Unless your kidding it IS a toy for Kids? Sorry this seems more favorable to spend $399 delivered to a child then buying him/her a $9500 game to color with crayons. This game is not for adults or Pinside, its a Toy for Kids.

It is a toy... But, I also want to see how it looks in my gameroom. I can't have pins on my 2nd floor. So something like this isn't taking up space for an actual pin.
    I also want to see how it relates to the ps4. I have like 50-60 tables on my ps4 for pinball arcade, and I am just curious how these will feel on this unit compared to me being on my couch... Maybe I'll like the ps4 experience better.... Maybe I'll like this better....

But, I will say. I like digital pinball for one reason. It helps me improve my skill on the actual games. I am really good at the t2 and subsequently t3 video mode(they really are the same). I get that from digital pinball.

I also got good strats for AFM MM, EATPM, and Scared Stiff. Yes... I know turning on the stiff o meter in scared stiff isn't too hard, but I generally get lots of replays on that machine when I see it in person and I get to that wizard mode... Came super close more than a few times in almost getting to the final wizard mode... But,... not yet... That'ts fine. No rush. I know I'll get there and it'll be sweeter for it.

You can watch tutorials or other people play all you want. And you will pick up good tips and pointers. But, for me. I like learning by playing. And I really do think I put up some nice and consistent scoring on the tables that I mentioned above, and I don't own them. So... I am excited to see if this can in a small way help me out.

Lastly, as I said above. I think this will be fun to bring to parties. Both family gatherings and other social outings... A real pinball is just too massive and heavy, and would take up too much room. but, something like this is way more practical and portable. So... That's why I'm excited about it.
    Its fun, its silly... It is unnecessary... But, I think that is part of its charm... For me at least... And unlike the ps4 pinball arcade games. I can actually look at this thing. Which is a thing I like... Sure it won't be as nice as a real haunted house... But, it'll still look nice(hopefully).

1 week later
    #211 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

Haha!! He loves pinball but Can’t pronounce the name Gottlieb that tells me he’s not a true pinhead.Heck,Black hole was way ahead of its time lower and upper playfield getting multi ball is a blast with balls playing on upper and lower playfields at the same time is truly a blast with a hard ass challenge.First .50 cent game breaking records,This dude in the vid needs to play these pins first and realize Gottlieb was KING back in those days.

Well, he also doesn't realize that there are some classic tables on this device... Blackhole, HH sure... But, Centigrade and TX Sector are very popular. Could the selection be better... Sure... They could have a Genie(within their rights to use, and I bet will have a Genie model, if it proves popular).
    And watching the one review posted. I think the gameplay will be more than fine. He mentioned that the ball in the video was worse than in person. So I think I'll enjoy my model when it comes in.

I know its not this threads topic. But, I think one of the reasons why Gottlieb went under. They just couldn't get the right themes licensed or unlicensed and I think their DMD guys just weren't as good as the Bally/Williams guys.Look at the themes Gottlieb did from the late 80s to when they stopped making pins... Just seem to be mostly a tier or two under what was being done. Their model did well enough for a long time... Now, that's not the only reason. But, I think it factors into play. Because, people may hate the raven theme, but it plays pretty good(and stacks up to what/where the other pins where at that time).

#222 4 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

if someone on here gets one that can flip well please give feedback. he was dual flipping a lot and not really trying to play.
    Give it a real play test please.

Hopefully I'll get mine on the 6th... Some orders were pushed back... We'll see. But, once I get mine I'll write a review here. No video, as I only have a crappy tablet. But, I'll post a nice review. You all know I talk/type too much, so it'll be thorough.

#247 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bohdi:

The Cue Ball Wizard looks much better than HH.

Covering up her cleavage if they leave the alphanumeric displays in place and don't go with the dmd... So I'll pass on that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider diospinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-3-4-size-pinball-at-walmart-12-built-in-games-?tu=diospinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.