By Luckydogg420

12 months ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
    sternparty (resized).jpg

#2 12 months ago

Neat video.

I always wanted one of the banners.

LTG : )

#3 12 months ago

Hopefully someone at stern will read the YouTube comments that get posted with their social media.

I mean it’s cool that someone took the time to make this video, but I’d really wish that their time was used instead on improving their games.

#4 12 months ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Hopefully someone at stern will read the YouTube comments that get posted with their social media.
    I mean it’s cool that someone took the time to make this video, but I’d really wish that their time was used instead on improving their games.

You'd like their social media team to do what, exactly, to improve the games? Maybe they're a separate team and their activities don't detract from other functions at Stern.

#5 12 months ago

Watch out, no bad mouthin' Stern . They will come for you!!!! lol.

#6 12 months ago

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the person doing the video does not design games, code games, or deal with QC issues.

#7 12 months ago

Would you fix the shit build quality of your games before making a video?

#8 12 months ago

Like all the play field issues CPU board replacements blown fuses and garbage wood grain play fields!!!!!

#9 12 months ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the person doing the video does not design games, code games, or deal with QC issues.

Oh, I agree 100% that the person that Stern has hired to make videos probably doesn’t have anything to do with improving their games. BUT, do you think hiring someone to make videos is the best course of action when your customers are complaining about defects and incompetence games? How about hiring some coders, or better yet how about hiring some more quality control personnel.

Maybe they should hire a musician to make a jingle for them, that would do a lot to improve customer relations.

#10 12 months ago

I wouldn't call it a "video". Its more of a slide show. I think It's an Imovie template where you drop in still images into comic book frame and it does all the animation for you. It didn't take any resources away from coding batman 66.

#11 12 months ago

Haha yeah all the Lawrence of Arabia film making time was lost with this one eh?

#12 12 months ago

I thought this was a joke more people, more money. That's a horrible marketing tag line

It implies all they care about is money

More people, more pinball, more fun. Would be much better

#13 12 months ago
    Quoted from hank527:

At least they are upfront about it, haha.

sternparty (resized).jpg

#14 12 months ago

Oh, I agree 100% that the person that Stern has hired to make videos probably doesn’t have anything to do with improving their games. BUT, do you think hiring someone to make videos is the best course of action when your customers are complaining about defects and incompetence games? How about hiring some coders, or better yet how about hiring some more quality control personnel.
    Maybe they should hire a musician to make a jingle for them, that would do a lot to improve customer relations.

They have hired more coders. The vast amount of complaints on pinside are people just trolling that do not even own a game with issues from stern. It's just the cool thing to do at the moment on this site. The same people pissing and moaning will be the first in line for gotg. Don't believe everything you read. The biggest problem has been playfield cc which you can be sure stern does not like and does not want to happen. Other then that you have BM66 code lingering but that's what happens when a game doesn't sell. Sure, some others could use a polish but people never think the code is done. They even complain about ACDC's code. Now everytime stern puts anything out people say they should be working on something else. They could announce that they donated 10million to hurricane relief and everyone would say that's why there prices went up and they should spend that money on toys for the playfields.

#15 12 months ago

pasted_image (resized).png

#16 12 months ago
    Quoted from hank527:

I thought this was a joke more people, more money. That's a horrible marketing tag line
    More people, more pinball, more fun. Would be much better

Yep, all the other pinball manufacturers [No names] are in the biz "for the love of pinball".....

#17 12 months ago

My guess is that tagline is aimed towards operators, not Stern itself

#18 12 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Yep, all the other pinball manufacturers [No names] are in the biz "for the love of pinball".....

I get it, but it should be about the customer and the game, knowing money will follow

#19 12 months ago

Ha! I watched the video and my first impulse was to leave the comment “Where’s the code.” But the OP beat me to it!

#20 12 months ago

What music is that, DragonForce?

Id be in

#21 12 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I’m assuming Charlie’s secondary goal is to make enough to feed his family... but it seems pretty evident that their primary reason for being in the biz is exactly for the love of pinball.

#22 12 months ago

Well. Pinball machines and military hardware have one thing in common. They are maintenance intensive.

#23 12 months ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

They have hired more coders.

We have yet to see results of that.

Quoted from jgentry:

The vast amount of complaints on pinside are people just trolling that do not even own a game with issues from stern.

Not true, many of the so called Stern bashers were the same people that bought NIB in the last couple of years and were Stern supporters. They were let down by the trend towards overall decrease in quality and stripped down playfield while simultaneously increasing prices. Need proof of that? Take a look at pros of the past like FG, POTC, Simpsons and compare them to the LEs of today. I was personally in on a BM66LE and was turned off by Jody's stupid marketing scheme where you are to put a non refundable deposit on an LE for 10K unseen. Don't get me started on that SLE send Stern a video acting like a jackass begging for one fiasco.

#24 12 months ago

My take is the Stern Army dresses weird.

#25 12 months ago

What’s a Stern Army?

#28 12 months ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

Do people get paid?

No idea how it all works, beyond they run tournaments and try to support pinball. I'm not a member.

LTG : )

#29 12 months ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

Strange. Sounds like some cult. Do people get paid?

It's a "Street Team" concept (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_team) which has been used very effectively for us at Raw Thrills. We have the Game Warden program for Big Buck Hunter. I know that in the past the CRO from Stern ran a Street Team at Topps trading cards that was extremely effective.

Stern Army members get spiffs for helping to facilitate a sale of the latest Stern game to that Army location.

#30 12 months ago

IMO pretty unfortunate attempt at PR.
    For me, playing pinball is about recreation and having fun. An army is generally used for war. No fun at all.
    I also will not "serve" Gary Stern nor swear loyalty to his brand.
    The fact that they are assigning military ranks to their followers and even "promote" those who "serve" feels bizarre to me and doesn't help making the company any more likeable to me.

#31 12 months ago
    Quoted from fishbone:

IMO pretty unfortunate attempt at PR.
    For me, playing pinball is about recreation and having fun. An army is generally used for war. No fun at all.
    I also will not "serve" Gary Stern nor swear loyalty to his brand.
    The fact that they are assigning military ranks to their followers and even "promote" those who "serve" feels bizarre to me and doesn't help making the company any more likeable to me.

I think you might be taking this a little bit too serious lol.

#32 12 months ago

I find the whole thing a bit strange from a marketing perspective.

You want pinball to grow, to target a younger demographic..... so the campaign is fronted by a 72 year old guy trying to be cool?

Surely better to have world number two Zach Sharpe? ( he was number 1 last week ! )

#33 12 months ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

You want pinball to grow, to target a younger demographic..... so the campaign is fronted by a 72 year old guy trying to be cool?
    Surely better to have world number two Zach Sharpe? ( he was number 1 last week ! )

Gary is cool and plus he looks a little bit like Uncle Sam. He's the face of Stern Pinball.

#34 12 months ago

With 49 members committed to running events on location on at least a monthly basis, we're seeing this already work quite well. Earnings reports of games are up, and locations are bringing in incremental food and drink sales from the pinball crowd as well.

While Gary is the face of the logo, the members interface with Zach and myself 100% of the time.

#35 12 months ago

72 is the new 52. He is doing great for his age, lifestyle and career he chose.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Pin Mods
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 119.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    $ 46.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 75.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside