(Topic ID: 5132)

Never seen this before. Upper flipper issue in a TFTC.

By CadillacMusic

12 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

So, ran across a bizzare thing today. Was reparing up a Tales from the Crypt, and went to test the flippers. They all worked fine. The playfield was up, as I was looking at the coils while they were firing. I put the playfield down, and hit the start button. Game begins...and the upper right flipper doesn't work. Hmm. Raise the playfield. Flippers all work fine. Lower the playfield. Upper flipper stops working. Raise the playfield about an inch with my hand. Flipper starts working again. I've never seen this before. I'm wondering if the coil is somehow grounding on the rails. Will have to investigate more tomorrow, but have any of you guys run across this before?

#2 12 years ago

Sounds like a loose wire to me. I'll bet you could make it work when PF was down, and fail while PF was up, by poking the wires going to the coil.

#3 12 years ago

Could also be a wire getting pushed causing a bad connection.

#4 12 years ago

Go through a switch check and see if anything weird comes up? Maybe the captive ball since it moves with the playfield.?

#5 12 years ago

Sounds like a loose wire or bad connection to me as well. Maybe when you are closing it something is pushed in a way that is impinging the connection. I would look over all the wires/connections around that flipper and make sure they are sound. Then make sure nothing is present within the cabinet that would push on that area.

#6 12 years ago

Ok, you're right, it must be a wire. It switches back and forth between not working, and staying held up now. I've just been over the thing forward and backwards, and I cannot figure out what's causing it. I've run my fingers over all relevant wires at least twice now. How annoying.

#7 12 years ago

Time to break out your DMD and check for continuity with the wires. Could be a break in the wire inside the insulating plastic on the outside of the wire. Might look fine from the outside, but if it was stressed or pinched it could be broken inside. Might be hard to find if it only happens when the playfield is down. You might need to move the wires around while you are testing it to see if you can get the connection to break inside the wire.

#8 12 years ago

Get the iron out.

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from MES:

Time to break out your DMD

You mean DMM? Don't worry, we all have pinball fever around here.

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from MES:

Time to break out your DMD and check for continuity with the wires. Could be a break in the wire inside the insulating plastic on the outside of the wire. Might look fine from the outside, but if it was stressed or pinched it could be broken inside. Might be hard to find if it only happens when the playfield is down. You might need to move the wires around while you are testing it to see if you can get the connection to break inside the wire.

Yeah, that was the first thing I did. Of course, there was no continuity since the playfield was up. I went to test it with the playfield down yesterday. The funny thing is, it's stopped now. So I'm just waiting for it to start up again. With a little luck, our guy Carmen will bring his grandson in, and I can get him to play the game all day until it starts acting funny.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 18.95
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 15.00
$ 18.95
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 64.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/never-seen-this-before-upper-flipper-issue-in-a-tftc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.