(Topic ID: 267154)

Never mind the manual, use these fuses...

By undrdog

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by undrdog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I was shopping fuses at Great Plains because I needed to make up a $5 minimum order so I could get my trimmer for the sound board on Mystic.

Not being able to find the fuses as stated in the parts book, I sent them an email asking if maybe they had them.

I was looking for
    10A 32 v
    .75A 250 v
    4A 32v
    20A 32v
    5A 32 v.

Their response was that I could use 250v rated fuses for all (except the 20 amp, which only comes in 32v rating). Is that kosher?

I think that Mouser has what I need, but I'd rather get them from Great Plains so I can have a $5 min order.

#2 3 years ago

Those will work without issue.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Their response was that I could use 250v rated fuses for all (except the 20 amp, which only comes in 32v rating). Is that kosher?

As long as the circuit is running less than 32v.

If it's a 110v circuit, then no, a 32v fuse wouldn't be the proper rating.

#4 3 years ago

If the originally intended fuse will blow over 32v, why is it safe to use a fuse that won't blow until the load exceeds 250V?

#5 3 years ago

Don’t confuse load with current.

The 20 amp fuse is for GI, which is at 7.3VAC.

I don’t know why they spec’d a 32 volt fuse for the 43 volt supply.

I think over time, fuses have become much more accurate about blowing at a certain amperage, not voltage. Blowing at or above a certain voltage, in my opinion, would require some type of voltage sensor or sparkgap. Way too expensive for a pinball machine.

#6 3 years ago

The amperage is the critical part, I don't know why the voltage rating even needs to be specified, the fuse is a piece of glass with two copper ends with the fuse link soldered on each end, nothing is going to "arc over" if you put 110 volts on a 32 volt rated fuse.

#7 3 years ago

Voltage rating on fuses is entirely independent of the value at which the fuse opens; it's still "this fuse has been manufactured to open at the rated current" regardless of voltage. The voltage rating is the maximum voltage that the fuse is designed to be used at, and has no real bearing on it's functionality. A 3 amp fuse rated at 250V is going to open at 3 amps, and a 3 amp fuse rated at 32V is going to open at 3 amps. The 250V fuse is just manufactured to be more robust, able to withstand being used in a higher voltage circuit, regardless of the current.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from RocketFromTombs:

Voltage rating on fuses is entirely independent of the value at which the fuse

Thanks. Very understandable explanation

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/never-mind-the-manual-use-these-fuses and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.