New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 152250)

Never buy a Game you can't play- NASCAR

By 3pinballs

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Pinterest
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160209_181905[1]_(resized).jpg
20160213_134512[1]_(resized).jpg
20160129_150705_001[1]_(resized).jpg
20160125_164945[1]_(resized).jpg
20160213_134452[1]_(resized).jpg
20160213_141825[1]_(resized).jpg
20160213_140506[1]_(resized).jpg
20160213_142218[1]_(resized).jpg
20160213_143232[1]_(resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

Just bought this game 2 weeks ago and unfortunately I it was in an Airport hanger where the temp was 36 degrees, so I couldn't have it powered on more than 3 minutes due to the cold to thoroughly go thru. Here's the original post.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-nascar-stern-2005-2006

................................................................................
NASCAR pinball machine,

This was completely shopped recently and only has 100 or so plays on it since. It works 100% with no issues and every feature works as it should. The car/garage is adjusted properly so that it doesn't eject the ball straight down the middle.
The cabinet is in nice shape with a few small scratches that have been touched up. This machine has the Miller Lite logo version of the translight. Looks great and would make a great addition to the NASCAR fans game room.

This is located in Kenosha, WI about one mile off I94.
................................................................................

The couple was very nice, however I think people should disclose things when they sell it. He said most all plastics were removed and rubbered and the flippers were strong.

The left flipper was sticking up (due to worn coil sleeve and too long of a screw thru the plunger link) when I played it and the right flipper bushing was broken. He did reimburse me $34 for flipper parts, but after also found the right coil was warped and couldn't get the sleeve out, so I purchased another one. I also bought 2 new cranks as the right side was cranked down so tight that I thought I was going to break something trying to get the screw out of the crank.

You think that if someone shopped you would also replace the GI bulbs. Now I understand there might be a few out that's just the way it goes, but there were about 20 that were out as you'll see most in the pic.

Ball wouldn't eject into trough, so had to re adjust the switch....no biggie.

Now I didn't take a pic of the right bushing that was broke in half. Just venting as when I shop out a game I take everything off the playfield, clean, wax, re-rubber and a flipper rebuild. This was not a shop job by any means.

Next time I drive 11 hours round trip I'll make sure it's in a warm environment so I can do my proper due diligence.

Here's some pics.

20160213_143232[1]_(resized).jpg

20160213_142218[1]_(resized).jpg

20160213_141825[1]_(resized).jpg

20160213_134452[1]_(resized).jpg

20160125_164945[1]_(resized).jpg

20160129_150705_001[1]_(resized).jpg

20160213_134512[1]_(resized).jpg

20160209_181905[1]_(resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

Unfortunately a lesson too many of us have learned the hard way...........

#3 4 years ago

It's actually not bad at all . A little work like light bulbs and flipper rebuilds are par for a 12 year old machine

#4 4 years ago

I agree on the flipper rebuilds, but the guy should have know the right flipper bushing was broken.

#5 4 years ago

Shady Wisconsin people! Never trust them.

#6 4 years ago

Never say never. Make a low offer and tell the seller you have to assume some things are broken if it can't be tested fully.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Never say never. Make a low offer and tell the seller you have to assume some things are broken if it can't be tested fully.

I'm pretty sure (positive) he already bought it.

#8 4 years ago

If you got a good deal on the game, then these small fixes aren't a big deal......But again trusting a seller you do not know...is a lesson everyone has to have once in their pinball lives

#9 4 years ago

Could of been worse, most of the people I've bought my games from didn't even know the back glass came off.

#10 4 years ago

Sorry about that.

I had been contemplating buying it but found one more local. Looks like I dodged a bullet.

Imo, for a game that was completely shopped with only 100 plays since, @ $2200 the OP shouldn't have any of the issues he does.

#11 4 years ago

Flipper rebuilds are expected. Unless there was major pf or cabinet issues that were not disclosed, doesn't seem too bad.

#12 4 years ago

If you buy a used car, the first thing you do is a synthetic oil change.

If you buy a used pin, the first thing you do is completely rebuild the flippers and bushings.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

A game may be described as "restored", "shopped", "great condition", "Home Use Only" or even "Mint" condition. What do those terms mean to a buyer? NOTHING. None of those terms would let you know the physical condition of the game.

Restored? To what level? Could mean anything from working condition to HEP condition.

Shopped? Does that mean waxed? Cleaned? New balls? Or just wiped the playfield with a dirty rag?

Home Use Only? A game that has had rusty balls rolling through it for 1 month in somebody's basement might look worse than a well cared for game that has been on route for 20 years.

Mint? The US Mint does not make pinball games, only coins.

The only thing that actually matters is the actual condition of the game

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

#14 4 years ago

I've decided that EVERY game I purchase will need undisclosed work. Such is pinball. Everyone has different tolerance levels to flakey/burned out bulbs, weak flippers, flakey switches, etc. Fixing and playing are my two favorite parts of the hobby!

#15 4 years ago

It looks like you did just fine for $2166 or less.

#16 4 years ago

I see a lot of bitching about a lot of really insignificant issues.

We are talking a few hours of work here. Not a big deal. And he even gave you money for parts.

It always sucks when something isn't up to their standards but everybody has different standards. You can almost always expect you'll have to do some work on a game regardless of how "shopped" it's supposed to be. And if you are a "shopped means game completely stripped down and everything rebuilt" kind of guy you are NEVER going to be happy with 90 percent of the "shop Jobs" out there anyway so you may as well assume from now on you are always gonna have to re-shop whatever you buy

Thanks for the warning but I think most of us who have bought more than a few games already know all of this.

#17 4 years ago

You would have passed on a game you drove 11 hours for over weak flippers and burnt out bulbs? They gave you the money for them, so you weren't even out that.

I dunno, most people don't change bushings when they rebuild their flippers anyway so I usually end up redoing it.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

It looks like you did just fine for $2166 or less.

Yeah, fixing one or two things has to be simply expected regardless of what an ad says. You can't buy a game NIB without having to adjust something. Granted you weren't expecting a flipper build and replacing the GI, but all things considered you still got a deal.

#19 4 years ago

Anytime I buy a used pin, I figure there will be $300 in hidden wear, jerryrigging, or damage.

Wrong coils, incorrect parts from another game, splices in the wiring, missing or cracked posts, wrong rubbers.

Even if you are very familiar with the game and it's common issues, you are screwed.

#20 4 years ago

Don't ever expect others work to be to your standards or just buy unshopped games then you can assume it'll will require repair. These are minor problems and my guess is the seller thought he was representing the machine fairly. I find these type of issues, and much worse, with every game I've purchased. Now I just expect it.

Enjoy your new game!

#21 4 years ago

mountains out of molehills?

#22 4 years ago

The most important question here is: Why the hell would you drive 11 hours for a Nascar pin? They are a dime a dozen in the midwest and are hard to sell from my experience. You should be able to find one in good shape , within an hour of your town, being so close to a large metro. city.

From my 15 years of experience, if you're not willing to shop around a bit (locally or at a show) for a decent game and view and play it in person, you get what you deserve every time. Shipping a pin is similar, from my experience. You have no control over how the game is treated and handled once it leaves your sight. I haven't shipped a game for over 10 years and I will never ship a game again.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you buy a used car, the first thing you do is a synthetic oil change.
If you buy a used pin, the first thing you do is completely rebuild the flippers and bushings.

Not always, the guy I bought my GTO from was running 0-5wt synthetic, I changed it using 10-30 with ZDDP but it was too late he had already destroyed the engine.
Cost a helluva lot more than a flipper rebuild.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Just bought this game 2 weeks ago and unfortunately I it was in an Airport hanger where the temp was 36 degrees, so I couldn't have it powered on more than 3 minutes due to the cold to thoroughly go thru.

Huh? I don't get the "cold to thoroughly go thru" part.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Huh? I don't get the "cold to thoroughly go thru" part.

Probably worried about condensation on electrical components as they warmed up.

#26 4 years ago

I agree with everyone's comments. I couldn't find a Nascar locally and didn't mind the drive. If I did find one I was always a day late.

There are always issues with games and I don't mind doing the repairs, it's just don't say the flippers are good when they're not. Yes I did get money for the parts so all in all it was about $2260 when all said and done with driving.

Clay Harrel said he's never fired up a game under 40 degrees, but doesn't have any documentation whether its bad. Another tech buddy of mine said if you fire it up don't have it on for over 4 minutes as the boards might incur some damage.

I'm happy with the game after doing the fixes and my wife had a blast playing it last night.

#27 4 years ago

Glad it worked out ok in the end.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I'm pretty sure (positive) he already bought it.

i meant going forward and also as a word of advice for others

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I'm happy with the game after doing the fixes and my wife had a blast playing it last night.

The Wife having a blast playing Nascar on Valentine's day?
Best possible end.
By itself worth 11-hour drive each way if you ask me.

#30 4 years ago

It doesn't sound all that bad. I always assume hidden problems like this when I buy a game. When someone says they shopped a game, I take that with a huge grain of salt.

#31 4 years ago

Shoot I think I would love to get a Nascar in that condition for that price...oh California why does everything have to be so expensive out here. lol

#32 4 years ago

Wow, sorry you had to go through that horrible experience. "Shopped" means absolutely nothing. It is right there with "How long is a piece of string?"

Sellers, especially those without a reputation to protect, never disclose everything, in large part due to the fact that they don't KNOW everything.

If the worst you ever get from an unknown seller is a handful of 7 cent bulbs burned out (and I have a feeling that LEDs are on the horizon for that game anyway), a coil, and $20 of parts, you have nothing to complain about, whatsoever.

#33 4 years ago

Whether I buy a game people call "shopped" or not, I expect to have to go through and fix a lot to bring it up to spec. The only person who can bring a game up to your own standards is you. No reason to pay extra for someone to do a half-ass job and call it shopped.

#34 4 years ago

if the test car, garage , trough and track work that is all that matters with that game. peoples ideas of "shop" job vary. dont hold him to that. the things you mentioned are minimal. not a big deal at all unless it was advertised as fully restored, all new bulbs, all new flipper parts, etc of the things you mentioned.

#35 4 years ago

You can turn on a game in 20 degrees. Nothing bad will happen.

Just don't start blasting a bunch of balls around, because you might crack a plastic or pop skirt (plastic gets brittle in the cold).

If it's an old game with a painted backglass, remove the backglass so it does not suddenly get hot from a bunch of #44 bulbs.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Yes I did get money for the parts so all in all it was about $2260 when all said and done with driving.

So without the cost of driving, was the game only around 2K? Seems like a pretty good price.

#37 4 years ago

thanks about the 20 degrees....that's good to know

#38 4 years ago

Quite frankly this thread is pointless...

You paid $2200 for a modern Stern and are going to complain about flipper rebuilds and $1.98 in light bulbs? On top of that, the seller even gave you back some $ for the flippers and now you call the seller(s) out?

There are bad sellers, but this just might be a case of a bad buyer.

Now, what the heck is with buying NASCARs stored in an airplane hanger in Wisconsin? Over the weekend I picked up a pair of NASCARs in an airplane hanger, in Wisconsin!

#39 4 years ago

Yeah - admittedly I have no respect for electronics, but I would not hesitate to fire up a machine in cold weather. I agree with what Vid said - I wouldn't blast balls around on a cold game for fear of breaking something - but wouldn't worry about the electronics. If they are going to blow - they will anyway. The cold is better than heat IMO. Anyway - its always good to run diagnostics on a machine your buying.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside