• BBC 7 votes
    7%
  • Other 1 vote
    1%
  • Local station 4 votes
    4%
  • None 15 votes
    15%

(Multiple choice - 101 votes by 65 Pinsiders)

This topic is closed.

#1 3 years ago

I'm done with ABC World News Tonight.

The format is ridiculously repetitive. The first 2 minutes of the show, they cover every headline that they are going to talk about.

Then, the anchor reiterates the first headline verbatim, adding a smidgen more bit of information. Then, they go to a remote reporter, who parrots the exact same thing.

So, you get to hear a headline 3 times, with only a scant more detail added and then repeated, in case you had forgotten what was said twice before.

This is done for every story. I know Americans have a short attention span, but holy shnikes!

<Rant off>
<Resume beer>

#2 3 years ago

Who the hell still watches TV networks?

It’s 2021, just use the internet.

#3 3 years ago

Poll needs a "none of these" option

#4 3 years ago

Like everything else, this thread will turn into a political shitshow.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from no-extra-balls:

Like everything else, this thread will turn into a political shitshow.

I have no idea what possesses someone to post something like this here. Who gives a shit what a bunch of people you don’t know and have zero connection to besides a hobby thinks about “network news?”

#6 3 years ago

It’s 2021, just tune into the channel that tells you what you want to hear.

#7 3 years ago

I get my news from the internet. I watch channel five k t l a news in Los Angeles, but I don’t expect them to meet my needs on overall information.

That said, I truly enjoy the news station. The weather girls are a thing I notice.

#8 3 years ago

I get all the news I need from the weather report.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I have no idea what possesses someone to post something like this here. Who gives a shit what a bunch of people you don’t know and have zero connection to besides a hobby thinks about “network news?”

Says the guy who's name begins with the word crazy. You could have just not said anything.

#10 3 years ago

Not much actual news anymore. Very few facts with a whole lot of opinions and feelings.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

Says the guy who's name begins with the word crazy. You could have just not said anything.

It should tell you something that I’m crazy yet still don’t understand why you woke up this morning and decided to post this poll.

Can you walk us through the thought process? Have you been thinking about this for weeks or did it just come to you this morning? What do you hope to accomplish by polling pinside on its news watching habits?

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Not much actual news anymore. Very few facts with a whole lot of opinions and feelings.

Is Canadian news as bad with that? I was hoping to find a better news source, aside from Google news.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It should tell you something that I’m crazy yet still don’t understand why you woke up this morning and decided to post this poll.
Can you walk us through the thought process? Have you been thinking about this for weeks or did it just come to you this morning? What do you hope to accomplish by polling pinside on its news watching habits?

Wow, I think I will just ignore you from now on, as you appear to have more anger issues than I do.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Who the hell still watches TV networks?
It’s 2021, just use the internet.

I already do with Google News. It's more of watching it with my wife, who likes tv news.

#15 3 years ago

Seems one of the only boots on the ground, conducting actual interviews and trying to get both sides of a story up here is Rebel news. CBC is a government funded biased lapdog. All other networks toe the line or they get shunned from press briefings and access to officials.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That’s a very loud way to say “I care very much what people on this pinball website say while I pretend not to”

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

Wow, I think I will just ignore you from now on, as you appear to have more anger issues than I do.

Anger?

I’m like you. I’m intellectually curious.

Like you want to know about people’s news habits, I’m eager to understand More about your posting habits.

Let’s hear it! (I’m actually embedded and working on a human interest piece for an undisclosed news network)

#18 3 years ago

None of the above, there’s a difference between “news” and “current events”!

I have been willfully avoiding most “news” for several months now, and it has done WONDERS for my psyche! Shutting off the TV news and (most importantly) the comments sections of online sources really does clear much of the “noise”.

By design, most “news” reports (regardless of media) are geared to entrap one in a cycle of pessimism, where feelings of powerlessness in response to whatever terrible thing is being reported results in a anxiety-fueled desire to keep tuning-in, ever fearful of “missing something” (which would exacerbate the feeling of being out of control) and always looking for that first glimmer of resolution.

I do still keep up with current events, but now in a purposefully detached “facts only” manner where I spend minutes rather than hours per week doing so; this is mostly impossible if one looks only to the alphabet soup media conglomerates for the information.

#19 3 years ago

i would not believe a thing cnn writes or puts on tv. everything left wing view and attacks on GOP or fox. most obvous thing ever. don't get me wrong, fox is biased too. but not like cnn.

#20 3 years ago

Where's the option for the Onion?

They are America's finest news source, after all!

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

fox is biased too. but not like cnn.

Right on, Fox News is somehow even more biased than CNN. But Fox was a true pioneer and CNN is still playing a sad game of catch-up, so maybe in time they’ll achieve bias parity.

Of course if you want smothering coverage of plane crashes or missing white ladies, CNN is still #1 with a bullet.

#22 3 years ago

Surprised that anyone watches legacy news anymore. Personally I prefer to get my news from outside of the US, less nonsense, they don't "two sides" every fact, much less of the "what to think" type of coverage, more just here is the info.
Prefer that to the info tainment of the legacy news in the US.
B

#23 3 years ago

Watching network news reminds me of my parents watxhing it and being bored out of my fucking mind and depressed. Like watching mash as a kid with that sad color pallet.

I only watch local news with horrible stories re-using the same stock b-roll shots of RX pills being separated

#24 3 years ago

OP went inactive....whats that about?
You and Levi have more words in pm's?
Regardless, the news sucks, all of it. Biased one way or another depending on owner and commercials.
BUT.....if we had more topless weather girls I'd be surfing channels all day long.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from ZooDude:

Surprised that anyone watches legacy news anymore. Personally I prefer to get my news from outside of the US, less nonsense, they don't "two sides" every fact, much less of the "what to think" type of coverage, more just here is the info.
Prefer that to the info tainment of the legacy news in the US.
B

NTD is pretty good at this. They were just demonetized so may leave the US Market.

#26 3 years ago

News off of Facebook.
Least bias, the most honest.
Sarcastic haiku.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Anger?
Like you want to know about people’s news habits, I’m eager to understand More about your posting habits.
Let’s hear it! (I’m actually embedded and working on a human interest piece for an undisclosed news network)

Why do you need to attack his posting habits? Just STFU on topics that don’t fit into what you think is accepted. I never posted on your Lay-z-boy topic because who TF cares about chairs on a pinball forum?

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

NTD is pretty good at this. They were just demonetized so may leave the US Market.

I think you missed the point of my post.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from ZooDude:

I think you missed the point of my post.

Sorry

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:OP went inactive....whats that about?

Quoted from seeburg220:

...as you appear to have more anger issues than I do.

Guess not.

#32 3 years ago

Ha i just turned on NBC news to see some weather and they are in full panic/fear mode for sure.
"Vaccine shortage CRISIS!!!!"
"Horrible deadly weather from west coast coming tonight!!!"
"Too cold to get a vaccine!!!!"

Fucking relax a bit

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha i just turned on NBC news to see some weather and they are in full panic/fear mode for sure.
"Vaccine shortage CRISIS!!!!"
"Horrible deadly weather from west coast coming tonight!!!"
"Too cold to get a vaccine!!!!"
Fucking relax a bit

When they start reading off all those daily numbers I instinctively start looking for last weeks lotto tickets

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Anger?

Nice going Levi, now he’s de-activated his account. Put another notch on your headboard.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Someone needs less salt in their diet.

#36 3 years ago

In the 90s, Norm MacDonald was my source for news.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

In the 90s, Norm MacDonald was my source for news.

and he is still more reliable than mainstream media

#38 3 years ago

I don't trust any of them one bit. Today news people just pick and choose stories and spin according to their political beliefs. There is no non-bias anymore with any news source. It's like the journalism schools have changed the philosophy in what they teach.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/network-news-gripes?hl=mizzou0103 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.