You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E56771AF-B322-4BE3-B395-CC1BE6765DB5 (resized).png
candid photography (resized).jpg
6E9C6F53-FC23-409B-A40F-FF8860727B52 (resized).jpeg
C6CF203E-3126-4B26-A447-ECFEE367D9FC (resized).jpeg
8886ACF2-A4F2-4ADB-8878-27F5449C918C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JoeJet.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 5 years ago

I am up to 30tb for Plex storage that I serve up to my home theatre using shieldtv. Right now just using a pretty powerful pc (Ryzen 8 core) that does both my main (non gaming) work stuff and acts as the storage hub.

I would love to have a rack mounted solution where I can add drives in my theatre but I find it hard to determine how powerful the system needs to be to serve up 4k....and where the transcoding all happens. Mostly I don't transcode but I have family that connects to my Plex server and it has to be able to transcode....I have built PCs for years but find NAS terminology and tech very difficult to wrap my head around...

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Plex Pass user here with a Shield too, but with a cheapie Zyxnel NAS310 that I added an equally cheap 2T drive. Seems to work fine for the home theater at 1080.

Yea it's really confusing to figure out the best way to run this stuff. I would prefer to have a NAS that I can just slap another drive in when needed vs a PC with limited space but from what I understand if the storage is separate from the location if the Plex server it can affect performance. With 60+ GB files for one 4k movie I see storage running out quickly.

4 weeks later
#92 5 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

With inexpensive 4K streaming services such as Amazon and Netflix, and inexpensive music streaming like Spotify, plus sites like xhamster, what are you guys filling up a NAS with, much less 40TB

All that stuff is here today and gone tomorrow. I prefer to have my own server with my media that no one can take away right when I am looking to watch/listen to it.

Also, if you have a high end setup, streaming is noticably worse than locally stored rips in original quality.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JoeJet.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/network-attached-storage-whatcha-got?tu=JoeJet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.