You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E56771AF-B322-4BE3-B395-CC1BE6765DB5 (resized).png
candid photography (resized).jpg
6E9C6F53-FC23-409B-A40F-FF8860727B52 (resized).jpeg
C6CF203E-3126-4B26-A447-ECFEE367D9FC (resized).jpeg
8886ACF2-A4F2-4ADB-8878-27F5449C918C (resized).jpeg

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

That does make sense actually.
But, we really wanted it to be pron

He didn't say what kind of photography?

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

He didn't say what kind of photography?

Candid photography??

candid photography (resized).jpgcandid photography (resized).jpg

#103 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

He didn't say he was not shooting pr0n.

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Oh, and pr0n

#105 4 years ago

I've got a rack mount linux server w/16TB of RAID 5 storage. It's mostly used as a Plex media server. I ripped over 1500 movies on it, took me a long time getting 8 movies at a time from netflix. I know it sounds crazy, but you can't get a lot of stuff on streaming services, and torrent downloads don't have the quality I look for. I did download some TV series though, some you can't get on DVD, like 24 seasons of COPS.

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I've got a rack mount linux server w/16TB of RAID 5 storage. It's mostly used as a Plex media server. I ripped over 1500 movies on it, took me a long time getting 8 movies at a time from netflix. I know it sounds crazy, but you can't get a lot of stuff on streaming services, and torrent downloads don't have the quality I look for. I did download some TV series though, some you can't get on DVD, like 24 seasons of COPS.

I was just thinking about doing the Netflix DVD ripping when I set up my server.

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

I was just thinking about doing the Netflix DVD ripping when I set up my server.

FYI they don't show the 8 movies at time option their website, but I called and they set me up with it (a couple years ago). They said they don't show it on the website because people were somehow scamming them with it. Shipping is fast so you can average about 16 movies a week. My mailman must have wondered what the hell was going on

#108 4 years ago

Synology root caused the reason why my IronWolf Pro 10TB wasn't being recognized by the enclosure. Apparently; Seagate in their infinite wisdom enabled something called:
Power up in standby on these drives.
which prevents the drive from automatic spin-up when power is applied. My 916+ nas OS doesn't know to send the proper command to enabled the disk motor; so it wouldn't spin up.

I downloaded SeaChest Utilities from Seagate and was able to configure the drive to disable PUIS. Once that was done; the drive was recognized and it's currently rebuilding the degraded array with the 10TB Iron Wolf.

3 months later
#109 4 years ago

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a Synology DS918+. My plan is to install four 6TB drives in a RAID 10 configuration, but I can't decide which drives to buy. I prefer WD to Seagate, so I'm probably going to go with either four Red Pros or four Golds. I'm leaning towards the Red Pros, since they are about $50 a piece cheaper. Are the enterprise drives worth spending an extra $200 on in a home environment? I believe both drives have the same 5 year warranty.

#110 4 years ago

If you want a cheap option try what I did. I have a large full-tower PC case with an older motherboard and CPU I took out of a PC I retired. I have five cheap 2TB drives in a windows storage space. I do not use RAID and it’s not redundant, BUT everything is backed up to CrashPlan small business cloud backup that I pay $90 a year for.

I use this for Plex mostly. It’s been running solid for over two years now. No drive failures yet but if it happens I’ll just reinstall windows and restore my backup, which is probably faster than recovering a large RAID array anyways given how fast download speeds are now.

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a Synology DS918+. My plan is to install four 6TB drives in a RAID 10 configuration, but I can't decide which drives to buy. I prefer WD to Seagate, so I'm probably going to go with either four Red Pros or four Golds. I'm leaning towards the Red Pros, since they are about $50 a piece cheaper. Are the enterprise drives worth spending an extra $200 on in a home environment? I believe both drives have the same 5 year warranty.

I have a 918+ sitting in the next room I’m finishing for a client. If just go with the regular old Red drives. I’ve been using them for years with no issues at all. I would recommend buying 2 from Vendor A and the other 2 from Vendor B. When installing, use a Vendor A drive and Vendor B drive in group 1 and do the same for group 2.

If you order them all from the same Vendor and you find a bad run of drives, you failure rate goes through the roof.

Also, make sure you put that Synology on a UPS. They are very sensitive when it comes to power fluctuations. I always spec one out when I do a build for a client.

#112 4 years ago

I have all but one Red Pros in my 916+. Two Red pro 4TB and one IronWolf Pro 10TB. one white label Red Pro shucked from a 10TB WD backup enclosure. No issues what-so-ever; other than a problem reconfiguring the real Red Pro to disable PUIS.

Added over 5 years ago:

I have all but one Red Pros in my 916+. Two Red pro 4TB and one IronWolf Pro 10TB. one white label Red Pro shucked from a 10TB WD backup enclosure. No issues what-so-ever; other than a problem reconfiguring the IronWolf Pro to disable PUIS.

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

No issues what-so-ever; other than a problem reconfiguring the real Red Pro to disable PUIS.

You can't just pop the WD Red Pros in your NAS? You have to disable PUIS first?

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You can't just pop the WD Red Pros in your NAS? You have to disable PUIS first?

It was an Ironwolf Pro - now that I think about it. Yes; you have to disable PUIS as in post 108above.

1 month later
#115 4 years ago

I picked up a Datto Alto 2 NAS from a business who had no further use for it. It’s basically a custom Zotac ZBox Nano. It has less than 4 years of power on time and works fine. I formatted the 1TB hard drive and installed OpenMediaVault. I shrunk the OS partition and created a new partition for the data with GParted using a Linux live USB drive. I was then able to mount the new partition in OMV. Will be a much better home network storage solution for this person that my homemade Raspberry Pi NAS, which I will keep for myself.
E56771AF-B322-4BE3-B395-CC1BE6765DB5 (resized).pngE56771AF-B322-4BE3-B395-CC1BE6765DB5 (resized).png

2 months later
#116 4 years ago

Last night I pulled my 10TB Iron Wolf Pro from the Synology NAS.
I'm returning it under warranty to Seagate for "IO errors" and Bad sectors. It started generating IO errors about 2mths ago... and the bad sectors had grown to over 4000 sectors.

Ofcourse; when I filed a ticket with Seagate's "pro" tech support - they wanted me to pull the drive and do some SegateTools testing with the drive in a PC.
What a bunch of hooey. You don't pull a live drive from a working RAID NAS box and do PC testing on it. That increases your exposure to catastrophic failure exponentially. Not to mention you have to re-sync the array over several days to get the drive synced back into the array. You don't do that on a drive that is already failing.

I called their 24/7 pro support line, and they forgo-ed the testing "requirement"... but they couldn't offer "cross ship" of a drive.
Had little choice but to shuck a 10TB WD easystore to get the bare 10TB drive... and am currently recovering the array to the new drive. Once I show the new drive is happy in it's place... I'll secure erase the Wolf and send it in for replacement.

Not impressed at all with "IronWolf Pro" support or their product. I get it; drives fail... but they didn't really do anything to "support" their product in it's intended application (a nas).

#117 4 years ago

I've got:

DS408+
DS710+
DS713+
DS716+
DS718+

And never been disappointed.

#118 4 years ago

Seagate's quality and support are pretty poor now. I wouldn't waste my time with them anymore.

#119 4 years ago

Funny, I just had a 4TB WD red fail in my Synology, one of a pair that was in there. I entered the serial number at the WD website and the warranty expiration is Dec 13! Talk about cutting it close. I requested an RMA and got it, so I’m sending it in. It will be nice if they replace it. Meanwhile I got 2 new 6TB WD reds from Amazon with free same day delivery and added those in (this is a 4 bay NAS). It’s going through the process of rebuilding the JBOD now which is taking a while. I was going to expand it sometime soon anyway as I was filling over 80% of my available 4TB space.

#120 4 years ago

Rebuiild/recovery correct with the shucked white label 10TB WD.
I guess I need to boot my lanparty box and secure erase the IronWolf drive.
If the replacement fails; I'm also "done" with Seagate.

#121 4 years ago

Is anyone running a Plex server on a Synology DS918+? Does it work well?

#122 4 years ago

Update: Went into SeaTools to secure erase this IronWolf Pro drive. Couldn't even get the tool to do anything useful. Notices non-trivial amount of vibration from the drive. I'm guessing one of the bearings on the drive is shot. I'm surprised it made it this long.

We aren't talking about enough to walk the drive off of a desk or anything; but certainly not "buttery smooth" like it should be.

I'm glad I fought tech support to take the drive back... I'm actually surprised it didn't fall out of the array on it's own.

Quoted from gweempose:

Is anyone running a Plex server on a Synology DS918+? Does it work well?

I'm running Plex on my DS916+. But not enough to really quantify it. I noticed mine had some problems transcoding 4k movies over wifi... but that's kinda to be expected. I'd think it'd be fine transcoding 1080p movies. For 4k; you really need a dedicated box with ethernet speeds - at least 100mb.

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/network-attached-storage-whatcha-got/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.