IMG_0340 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0339 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0341 (resized).jpeg
_20240408_142036 (resized).JPG
_20240408_142108 (resized).JPG
20240407_103121 (resized).jpg
20240319_202154 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#435 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Buy Wii for $20
buy $5 SD card
Install homebrew channel --> https://please.hackmii.com/
video guide -->» YouTube video
Download any emulator you want --> http://wiibrew.org/wiki/List_of_homebrew_emulators
video guide to do it the easy way - » YouTube video
Problem solved.

That first video is good, and also the second one from the same guy that continues with the installation of the USB hard drive. I got both of those done with no problem. I got a bunch of Wii games down onto the hard drive then the Wii stopped reading discs so I have to deal with that now. I had a feeling it was going to go based on some of the noises it was making.

Is there a good way to play Gamecube games on the Wii if they are also stored on the USB hard drive? I saw the thing called Dios Mios but it seems a bit iffy. It might be the only way. Right now I have the Gamecube hooked up anyway but it would be nice to take a box out to clean things up.

I haven't gotten to the other emulators for the homebrew channel yet, hope to get to that over the holidays.

#436 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

For the record, using an Everdrive on an original console is not emulation.

That N64 V3 Everdrive looks great, I think I will get one. I looked on Ebay and added up the prices of all my N64 cartridges and it looks like I could pretty much pay for it if I sell those. But, maybe I'll keep them, can't decide. The most valuable ones I have look like Goldeneye 007 (about $25), Mario Kart 64 ($50) and Pokeman Stadium 2 ($40).

1 week later
#530 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Couple years ago I realized that NES games are pretty expensive. Our local Game trader store was selling a nicely boxed (but opened) copy of Contra for like $100. Zelda was like $60.
Makes me wonder what my collection is worth. I know I sold a bunch of NES games in the early 90's at a yard sale that I probably wished I still had. But know I have near-mint copies (with mint boxes) of Zelda, Mike Tyson, and Mario 1 & 2.
What's the most valuable common NES game? I mean one that everyone probably had. Not that super rare track and field game. Just curious what games everyone wishes they didn't get rid of.

Check out Ebay, search for NES + game title, and click show sold listings only so you see what people actually paid. Zelda maybe 40-80, Marios 30-40, Tyson maybe 20-30.

BUT, boxes, and especially mint or near mint boxes, change things quite a bit. So if you have those they probably will get higher prices. Those would need some more research I think to set a good price.

Zelda offered for $5,000 !

ebay.com link: Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past SNES NEW SEALED 1ST PRINT MINT GOLD VGA 85

#614 7 years ago

I've had an Xbox One for quite a while and I agree. The menu system sucks. Every time I turn the damn thing on I fumble around before I get to what I want. You would think Microsoft could figure out how to design an interface by now. But like you said, UIs everywhere are pretty lousy these days. It seems the art of designing a simple, effective, and efficient interface is fading. But I will tell you what I think is a nice one: LaunchBox. I have this installed on a gaming PC and it has a nice menu to launch everything - all the PC games including Steam as well as all of the emulators, MAME, NES, SNES, Gameboy, Wii, GameCube etc etc. It works great and is customizable. I haven't been able to get it to work with the pinball software yet though. I think it will do it with enough work. It's worth a look if you would like a gaming PC front end alternative to Hyperspin. I tried Hyperspin and it was such a tiresome mishmash I quickly gave up on it.

10 months later
#1652 6 years ago

The first rule of rom club is you don’t talk about rom club.

632C9D1F-7F96-442B-B346-A6B019362FBC (resized).jpeg632C9D1F-7F96-442B-B346-A6B019362FBC (resized).jpeg

F3826098-BE52-4237-BA86-96597E373927 (resized).jpegF3826098-BE52-4237-BA86-96597E373927 (resized).jpeg

#1654 6 years ago

Ha got it, actually I was aiming it at the post you replied to. Anyway, just having some fun and giving a hint for those that need it. Another hint... no-intro is a fun google search term.

8 months later
#1759 5 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

The first rule of rom club is you don’t talk about rom club.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

RIP Paradise of the Emu

#1763 5 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

Can anyone tell me what happened? I'm actually just going through and organizing my old near crashing hard drive and pulling my ROMs off... was going to go through and organize them to confirm complete collections, rename, etc etc...

Nintendo is putting the hammer down on a number of different Rom sites, Emu was one of them. They are folding up rather than risk the legal wrath. Google "nintendo rom sites" for plenty of articles about it.

1 month later
#1811 5 years ago

This is a great day. Soldier of Fortune just hit GOG!

If the idea of shooting a bad guy's leg clean off into a bloody stump with a shotgun sounds horrible to you, run away. Otherwise, this is one of the classic FPS games ever. I still have my original disc although I play it with a CD hack. Now I can pay for a clean DRM free version. Happy happy days.

Relating to the posts just above, I got rid of pretty much all of those old games, the boxes, the discs, the manuals. Once I could get them all on Steam or GOG and have it all electronically I wanted to save the space. I did check them before I threw them out and it didn't seem like they were worth much. I might have sold a few on ebay, can't remember. It's all good, I am happy as heck to be able to play them now without having to put a stupid CD or DVD into the computer.

2 months later
#1950 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Anyone in this thread down for some Unreal Tournament action?

I just don't have time to play much these days and I would be super rusty at UT. But good lord some of the best times we ever had was when we would set up a handful of PCs on my home network and just go to town against each other in deathmatches. Man that is fun times. We also played a lot of Capture the Flag and Onslaught, hours on end, moms/wives yelling at us and being ignored...

UT (resized).jpgUT (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#1994 5 years ago

Going on this weekend in Pomona for you SoCal retro types. They have pinball there as well.

http://retrocityfestival.com/

3 months later
#2049 4 years ago

If you just got a scope and you don't know anything about it, this is probably one of the better tutorials. It is very long though. Nonetheless, I learned a ton from this and it was worth the time for me.

My oscilloscope that looks cool as hell but I barely know how to use

Tektronix 465B front power off 2 (resized).jpgTektronix 465B front power off 2 (resized).jpg

workbench 2018-08 (resized).jpgworkbench 2018-08 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#2092 4 years ago

Pretty decent show. A bit dry but it was a good review. I didn’t learn much new as most of that has been covered in various ways before, but still enjoyed it. All the interviews with the real players makes it good.

#2095 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I really liked it. They definitely could have added another hour or so to get into the next gen console war.

Yes, I agree. There could easily be a second part that is just as long, although I don't know if it would be as interesting personality-wise. It really is something to think about the impact of a few people - Bushnell, Jobs, Wozniak, Miyamoto. And how about Ralph Baer? Was he way ahead of his time or what?

I think it would be interesting to pick up from there to the new consoles and also to tie in the growth of PC gaming. Then you veer into the goodness of Doom and all of that.

6 months later
#2174 4 years ago

Also, Emuparadise has pdf scans of all of the Nintendo Powers in their magazine section.

3 weeks later
#2214 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Hey guys. I hope you don't mind me posting in here.
I know I play my retro games mostly on my PI or miniconsoles. But, I love retro games.
Two of my favorite games of all time are Berzerk and Frenzy. Just love those games so dang much. Big fan of robo-genocide. So I really like blowing those steelplated heartless bastiches to hell!
Anyway. Been playing berzerk and frenzy for about the past 3 years and never really got too good at it. But, lately I made myself a handheld pi, and its amazing just to turn on and play a couple of quick games on.
So I been working my scores up and up and up. Well I finally got over 10k on Berzerk. 10,990 was my final score. Won't lie got a bit lucky at the end. I died with 0 lives left at 9,980 and just needed one more robot to get the 2nd and last extra life in the game. A robot is worth 50 points.
Well Evil Otto caught me and smashed me... And right before the game was going to end he also smashed into a robot and so I got the points and the final extra life.
Then had a pretty good run until once again I got cornered by evil otto.
My best game to date. And I've been averaging around 4k-6k per game now. Much better from the 1,500-3k range that I use to be in.
As for Frenzy... I have yet to get to 6k in that game. Been really close. You get extra lives at 3k in frenzy and its uncapped the number you can accrue.
Just having fun for now. And so good to finally get decent in both games. Not a good or great player yet.
Hopefully soon.
Lastly... I do want to get a berzerk and frenzy cab in my house someday... Just not right now. No room for one. But, when I sell my current house and get the next one I shall get me one(hopefully a unit that has both in it).
Edit. Finally got over 6k on Frenzy... I know I can do much better though. I'd like to get to 20k on berzerk as thats the reset level for the maze. And I'd like to get into the 30k or 40k for frenzy. As again... No limit in the lives for that game. I'd like to stack them... But, evil otto is a bit more dangerous in Frenzy(even though you can destroy him in it). He just appears a bit sooner and there are more enemies in the game. So you gotta really be moving and on your toes.

Those 2 games are fun. What's cool about this all being "retro" now is that we can play these games as much as we want and finally find out how far we can go. Of course these games were originally made to suck quarters as quickly as possibly so they became difficult in a short time after you started a game. Back when we played them for real, unless you were a fanatic with a lot of money in your pocket you would never really get far. Think how many quarters you would have had to put out to get to where you are right now. Enough to buy a Pi probably!

2 months later
#2235 4 years ago

All so true. I don't worry so much about which is better, I'm just grateful we have both of them. And Quake also. I still get so much fun playing all of those. Hard to believe after almost 30 years. A testament to the brilliance of the original designers.

#2237 4 years ago

HERE YOU GO!!

https://www.gog.com/game/blood_fresh_supply

This just came off sale, it was $7.49. It will come on sale again, they are always having sales coming and going, if you have it on your wishlist you will get an email when it comes up again. I have it on my GOG wishlist, I will get it sometime soon, but I am still working through a ton of games. I am in the process of setting up a big gaming setup on my main PC using Launchbox as the front end. It incorporates all sorts of games including lots from Steam and GOG. I have 114 games on GOG alone!

Here are a few screen shots in its current state. And yes, I like to SHOOT, SHOOT and SHOOOT.

lb 2020-04 arcade (resized).jpglb 2020-04 arcade (resized).jpg

lb 2020-04 msdos (resized).jpglb 2020-04 msdos (resized).jpg

lb 2020-04 windows (resized).jpglb 2020-04 windows (resized).jpg

2 months later
#2336 3 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Hi guys, I see you’re all mostly into original or at least official hardware.
I’d like to introduce the MiSTer project. It’s an FPGA device that has had a great backing. It has most consoles 1to1 hardware emulation (not software emulation) cores .
https://www.retrorgb.com/mister.html
https://hothardware.com/reviews/mister-diy-console-fpga
I think It’s absolutely amazing.
I built a project out of it, I’ve been waiting 30 years to use this broken GE alarm clock. I was considering the pi4, but then stumbled on the mister when researching Some shmups stuff.
I ripped most of the broken guts out and wired in the switches and buttons, as well as a pico clock to keep that old school alarm clock feel. This boasts entire organized collections for more than the cores listed in the photos. It’s pretty much the all in one hardware accurate cart/arcade/cd/computer console. It’s an ongoing project, so new stuff is added weekly from the developers.
About to bring in my 37” Sony trinitron crt to run this on.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is a cool project. I will follow this to see where it goes, but for now I'm happy with software emulation. This looks like a good alternative. Smokemonster is great, my available hard drive space dropped way down because of him .

2 months later
#2388 3 years ago

I’ve been going through a Nintendo stash from the rugrat that hasn’t been touched in years. In there is a GameCube Game Boy Player DOL-017 with a start up disc and manual which are in a perfect and complete box. It seems that the disc in particular is consistently sold for $160. What is it about that disc that makes it so desirable/valuable? I have no clue.

I’m still going through a bunch of stuff for SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, and DS. Lots of Pokémon stuff as that was his thing back in the day. Most of the cartridges seem to be worth a decent amount, $10-20 each, but that start up disc is the most valuable thing I’ve found so far.

#2391 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Everyone has the player because they’re clipped onto the GameCube, but the disc didn’t even come with a proper case and got lost or scratched. Simple supply and demand. The GameCube is really popular right now. Those small discs are impossible to find to burn replacements too (I think).

OK, thanks. Check out this shiny little sucker, still in the case it came with, including the manual.

Game Boy Player Start-Up Disc (resized).jpgGame Boy Player Start-Up Disc (resized).jpg

I will sell it, for

dr evil one million dollars (resized).jpgdr evil one million dollars (resized).jpg

#2393 3 years ago
Quoted from akm:

Sell it, profit.
It's all about the Action Replay/SD Loader now and the Game Boy Interface software you can install on it. The original GB Player disc has been made obsolete and is solely a collector's item now. No real reason to use it when the GBI software exists. Far better picture quality there.

I saw that, I did some research and found all that stuff. I read that the new loader is better although you do have to jump through a few hoops to get it going, nothing too difficult I don’t think. Maybe I’ll give it a try some time when I get the chance. The thing is, for myself I just do all that GB, SNES, etc stuff on emulators on a PC or Raspberry Pi which is fine for me. But my son is more into the original experience with hardware so he might want to do it that way.

3 months later
#2495 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

That reminds me, I don't have a link cable yet. I need to get one.
I do, however, now have a Gamecube with a GC Loader installed, so there's that

OK I'm out of touch, this is the first I have heard of the GC Loader. That sounds totally cool, I presume everything is good with yours and you are satisfied? It is basically like getting an Everdrive for the GC. I want one.

Looks like you can order here, and pay shipping accordingly:

https://gc-loader.com/product/gc-loader-pnp/

Is that the recommended way to go?

I also am thinking that I might buy a used GC off ebay or offerup or whatever and mod that one, and keep my original GC in virgin state.

#2501 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

after ordering the gcloader, you need this as well
https://laserbear.net/shop/ols/products/gcloader-sd-mount
it has a built-in SD card extender to bring the slot up to a usable access point and finishes off the gaping hole where the optical drive used to be

Thanks! Ordered both. Looks like used GC consoles go for $50-70 each. What do you think, is it a big deal to just use mine and save the DVD drive when I remove it? I presume it could go backward to original condition with no problem?

I just checked my receipt, bought my Gamecube at Target on Nov 18, 2001. Just a few days after launch!

#2503 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I modded mine and wrapped up the original optical drive and stored it away. the nicest part of these mods are that they are completely reversible like you never did them (sort of like my original region switch that I did back in 2001. no soldering)

OK thanks, think I will do that. One more question, is there any particular SD card you like for this? Looks like 128GB would be a decent sweet spot to hit, that should hold around 80 ISOs I would guess. I bought the mount with the extra "holder slots" so I could stash extras in there if needed.

#2510 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

If you have a Wii, there's a good chance it's hackable to play Gamecube games with just a software mod. Basically, you get the Wii's MAC address and plug it into please.hackmii.com, which should help you generate a USB stick that you can use to partially unlock your Wii. You can load homebrew apps, including Nintendon't, which will play Gamecube ISOs off a USB stick plugged into the Wii. The early Wiis had Gamecube controller ports, so it's basically the same as playing a hacked Cube. You can't play Wii games without a hardware mod IIRC, but the Gamecube library is nice to have.

Yes, I have all that done on my Wii, thanks to this thread. It stopped reading discs anyway, so I modded it and attached an external drive loaded with Wii games, and have ninetendont also. But I have the GameCube sitting there already, so I find it to be an elegant and convenient setup to mod it separately. So I will have:

N64 with Everdrive.

GameCube with GC-Loader

Wii with home brew and usb drive loader.

This will be great for convenient game loading on the Nintendo front.

The next question will be if I want one of these for the GameCube. Pricey but looks cool for hdtv gaming which is what I do.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KL8ZKZP/

I also have a Raspberry Pi set up with retropie set up for running other stuff like MAME, Atari, and Nintendo handhelds.

#2511 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I picked up these 256GB micro SDs for the systems that I've done for myself and others basically giving you enough space to put anything and everything that you'd want to play and still have a bit of space left over (just in case)
amazon.com link »
the price is right now too ($5 cheaper than when I purchased the last batch, and cheaper than purchasing two 128GB micro SD cards

Thanks, also just to confirm I have all this right, I’m going to get this SD2SP2 also to plug into the serial port so I have write capability with Swiss for game saves and such.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082VBMQ2B/

4 weeks later
#2545 3 years ago

I have been messing around and researching this way too long, I need to get off my a$$ and get something going. Thanks for posting that control panel, I have not seen that one before, don't know how I missed it. This is the one I have been looking at seriously.

https://www.monsterarcades.com/copy-of-full-size-2-player-contol-p

I don't do the shmups so I can't add anything authoritative for that. But for Pac-Man and anything of its ilk, I think this would be the best one:

https://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=365

Apparently this is how the original Pac-Man joystick worked - with leaf switches. For a pinhead, those switches should look real familiar!

The drawback to that one is that you are stuck with one direction version. I do think that a 4-way will work fine for the games that use 2-way (either L-R or U-D). But an 8-way will definitely not work right with Pac-Man and other 4-way games. So you have to decide if you want to give up 8-way, or have multiple joysticks. You also are not the right 4-way angle to play Qbert.

Another way to go is to get the Ultrastik 360 which will handle any and all directions, then just set up every game to use the correct joystick configuration, the other inputs will be ignored.

I can't make up my mind what to do, but I swear I will make it happen in 2021. NYE Resolution!

1 week later
#2570 3 years ago

Cool. The one question ----> Will It Pac-Man???

If it works for a good game of Pac-man, then this should be a great solution for getting 4 way and 8 way in one stick. I think that is the key test. All other games should work OK if that works (I don't do fighting games though). With Pac-Man, you have to have instant and consistent response in the exact direction you want to go, otherwise, it never seems right.

The one thing you miss out on is a 45 degree setup for QBert.

8 months later
#2625 2 years ago

There is a new ebay listing of the same setup for $1,550.

ebay.com link: itm

Here’s one that was sold for $1319.

ebay.com link: itm

That’s really odd, even though I copy the link it’s showing the wrong listing. Anyway you can see the one offered for 10k.

2 months later
#2642 2 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I got an SD card mod for my GameCube, so I’m going to sell all my games off. I’d prefer to sell them locally, but if someone wants them all, and will cover the shipping, then send me an offer.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow I did some checking, I had no idea that the Gamecube games were worth as much as they are. I've got the SD card mod with all of the pieces ready to go, unfortunately my project list is pretty long right now so I don't know when I will install it, but when I get to it and get it all working I'll probably sell off the discs. Super Mario Sunshine, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Star Wars Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Bond Nightfire, Need for Speed, Wave Race Blue Storm, Mario Kart, Bionicle, Namco Museum are some of the ones I have.

5 months later
#2676 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Haven't seen much around here regarding the Steam Deck, but I got mine a few weeks ago and it is...basically everything I've wanted for decades. I've had a few of the windows portables over the years like GPD and they are good, but they are also very expensive for the hardware.
For the price, Steam Deck is...frankly..a game changer. It's not perfect, but it is pretty damn good. Emulation especially is great on it. Really wish I had this back when I was travelling for work all the time.

So it looks like it can emulate all the consoles including Wii and GameCube, and you can import your Roms into it via an SD card. I guess all the MAME games run on it also? That sounds like a pretty awesome deal, I had no idea. I don’t know if I can ever adapt to the handheld controls for fps games, but being able to do all that emulation would be great. I might have to get me one of these.

#2679 1 year ago

So it looks like you can use it as a handheld, or connect to a TV with HDMI and then run it with some BT wireless controller(s) of your choice. That is pretty dang slick if all that works. Does it play all the MAME games as well? I presume so.

I have a sort of older PC that I have set up with all of the emulators and Launchbox and I was going to connect it into the big 4K TV for games (NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, etc), but it sounds like this would be a simpler and cleaner way to do it.

Is the interface pretty good as far as selecting a console/game, if you have a lot loaded on there? Guess I should have a look at the inevitable Youtube videos that cover it.

As far as FPS goes, I am set up on my PC for that anyway. I have been going through a "retro resurgence" of FPS games recently. Man it sure is fun playing the old classics - Doom, Quake, UT, and Half Life. With some sprinklings of Serious Sam and SOF. Unreal Tournament 2004 is especially fun.

3 months later
#2688 1 year ago

I now have a Steam Deck 512GB and have been playing around with it as I can find time. It does work pretty well and without a whole lot of effort for retro games using Emudeck. I have tested with various consoles such as Atari 2600 and all Nintendos through N64, so far all that works with no problem. Hope to try some Gamecube and Wii games on Dolphin this weekend.

I can play all my MAME arcade games, I did this by just copying them over and running them on Proton.

I can play Doom (original) with Crispy Doom, again just copied it over and it runs on Proton.

Of course no problem playing most of the stuff in the Steam library, it runs Half Life 2 with no apparent problems.

As a controller it seems fine for any console game. For most arcade games its not great, but then again neither is any other console controller such as Xbox 360. Most arcade games require proper arcade controls to really enjoy (especially joysticks and trackball). But these could be connected via USB.

I do tend to play a lot of FPS, and I am still working on that. I don't know if a controller will ever match the mouse and keyboard setup. There is some possibility to play FPS with the gyro enabled, I was able to get some decent control with HL2 this way. But the gyro seems to be uneven as far as its behavior, and it doesn't seem to work in the same way in different games. It could be me or the way I have it set up, this needs more experimentation.

#2691 1 year ago

Steam Deck does seem like a really solid device, it's just a bit cumbersome for my needs. I already have a light gaming laptop, and an HTPC setup away from my main gaming PC. I could still see myself ending up with one at some point, just because they are so cool. Is there any reason to avoid the 64gb version? There's expandable storage, so it's just the difference in load time between that and what nvme offers?
While I wait for my Analogue Pocket I ordered a Retroid Pocket 3 (mobile gaming needs serious help with naming). It's supposed to handle through n64 and ps1 on its own, and does a good job of streaming on network, so it should allow for a nice dedicated xbox/steam portable handheld around the house.
I probably have a few weeks before it arrives, so I've been updating my emulation setups. I have launchbox but it was kind of a mess. Now I've got it setup on my phone, tablet, and main gaming PC with sync working for saves. I just learned the XSX can run retroarch, but since there's really no way to sync saves off of it I'm not even going to bother setting it up. To me the save sync is necessary for the type of gaming I mostly do over emulation - just quick hit SNES stuff, pop in for 5 minutes to clear a level of Yoshi's Island, pop out. The Ayn Odin Lite was another I considered, but being twice as much and unavailable till who knows, the retroid 3 won out. [quoted image]

I have a somewhat nice case with an older HTPC setup inside that I have been thinking of updating and putting onto the living room tv for retro gaming and all other gaming. I also have 4k gaming set up on my main computer with Launchbox and it is a really nice setup, so that would be replicated on the HTPC. But I decided to try out the Steam Deck and see if it could take the place of the HTPC. I have been messing with HTPCs for many years, and the most annoying aspect of it is dealing with Windows. Also, there is much less of a need for a fancy Kodi setup as everything has converted to streaming. But I still do have a lot of media content stored on a NAS and in fact I can run Kodi from my streamer now (Google TV) so that is nice and pretty much eliminates the need for an HTPC for that aspect. So, the HTPC would mainly become a gaming thing.

So for my next testing, first I will try out the Steam Deck through the Steam app and see what it is like to play wirelessly on the living room big TV from the couch. That would be fun.

Then, I will try plugging the Steam Deck straight to the TV via HDMI (well through the AV receiver actually) and connect a wireless controller to it, and see how it runs in that mode, which is basically as an gaming/HTPC. If that works well I might keep it that way and ditch the HTPC entirely.

All that said, having all gaming organized and interfaced with Launchbox is really nice. The SteamOS interface is OK, but doesn't come close to Launchbox. Plus, the scraped media for the games isn't very good and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to change images such as the icons/box cover graphics. So far this seems to be the case for imported non-Steam games.

That is the weakness of it - it is too Steam-oriented, which you can't really blame them for. I have a fair amount of stuff on Steam, but I have lots more on GOG because I like non-DRM, and I have a whole mess of retro console stuff along with MAME arcades. All of that exists super nicely on Launchbox, sort of so-so on Steam Deck (at least so far, I am still experimenting with it).

#2692 1 year ago

Played some GameCube Mario Kart Double Dash on Dolphin on the Steam Deck, seemed to work great.

#2693 1 year ago

If you get a Steam Deck and want to play around adding all sort of games which requires working in the desktop mode, you really want to get a keyboard and mouse attached to it. Its a pain do much work on the desktop with just the touchscreen and Steam Deck controls.

I had a multiport USB, keyboard and mouse sitting around so this was pretty easy to connect. Also I used the USB drive to move stuff over like ROMS. This works pretty well.

Note that the Steam Deck only has the one USB C connector, so you probably will need one of those little adaptors to convert a USB A cable to to USB C, that's the white piece plugged into the deck. These are a few dollars on Amazon, and are handy to have around as many devices are going all USB C, including laptops.

Steam Deck with keyboard and mouse (resized).jpgSteam Deck with keyboard and mouse (resized).jpg

#2695 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

What's a good guide for adding non-steam games to the deck? I've got Bloodstained ROTN from GOG and want to play it on the deck.

There are several different ways to do it. I haven't tried GOG games yet, I hope to get to that next when I get time. Heroic seems to be the recommended easiest way to do it, like here:

https://gamevoyagers.com/how-to-install-gog-games-on-steam-deck-quick-easy-guide/

But I recommend reading through this thread first, there is some interesting information there:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1675200/discussions/0/4826187053911692384/

I will report on my experience when I get to it.

#2696 1 year ago

I was able to get Unreal Tournament 2004 from GOG installed running via Heroic using the basic instructions above, without too much trouble.

I tried the method of just copying over the entire install directory from my computer and then adding the exe file to the Steam games, but that did not work.

#2698 1 year ago

Is there the option to "add a non steam game" after copying that folder to your games dir?

Yes, still in desktop mode, open the Steam app, you have to go to the bottom left corner to add a game and there is an option to add a non-Steam game. I got crispy doom to work that way.

4 weeks later
#2707 1 year ago

My steam deck project has been stalled due to life, but I'll get to it and report. I also just got the steam dock for it. This is to achieve my goal of connecting this to my 4k OLED TV and use a wireless game controller to play all sorts of retro emulated games.

My last attempt failed as I could not get the HDMI out to show up on the TV. But it worked fine when I connected it to my computer monitor.

I hate it when stuff doesn't just work.

#2710 1 year ago
Quoted from woody24:

And I've really been playing my PS5 more than PC games. I enjoy sitting on the couch playing that. I did get Steam Link on my TV through Google TV, and played a few PC games that way. But many of the games I wanted to play portibly, I just can't play more than 30 mins at a time. Would much rather be in front of my monitor with mouse and keyboard. I thought this would satisfy my need for a new gaming PC. My current one is now 10 years old. It can still play most games, but at a lower setting. And I've thought about docking the Steam Deck, but then I just keep thinking, I'd rather just have a full tower PC instead.
Plus the other big thing is that I just got married, and I actually haven't touched the Deck in the last 2-3 months. So it's just money sitting there where we could actually use it.
And with that said, I have 512GB Deck w/box for sale for $625 shipped.

Did you reset the Steam Deck to original as-shipped condition? It looks like it is doable, but somewhat of a pain.

Still haven't decided about mine.

I have a fairly recently upgraded tower with a 4K monitor that is great for all the games I want to play, in particular FPS of all kinds (but mostly old school rather than modern warfare).

But I also like to get of the PC and play games in the living room while loafing on the couch. I don't think that will ever work well for the FPS games, but is great for any console games. And all the retro stuff, including MAME. I still haven't figured out if the Steam Deck will work well for this. If not, I probably will sell it.

#2713 1 year ago

i7-12700K
64GB DDR4
RTX 3080 12GB
With 9 TB of SSD goodness:
Samsung 980Pro 1TB boot
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB games
Samsung 860 EVO 2TB video production
Samsung 870 4TB random shit

Lian Li Lancool Mesh II and Noctua NH-D15

It runs Doom and Quake super fast!

Launchbox DOS 2022-11 (resized).pngLaunchbox DOS 2022-11 (resized).png

Launchbox Windows 2022-11 (resized).pngLaunchbox Windows 2022-11 (resized).png

#2717 1 year ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

I love it!
retro gaming on the most modern pc at present.
I wonder what “ retro “ actually means?
FYI I own lots of old / new / refurbished / gaming items.
I love it all

I don’t feel any boundaries on the term retro.

As you can see I like to play a lot of the older FPS, Doom goes back to 93, that 30 years ago so I call that retro FPS gaming. That’s best done on a PC unless you can somehow master a controller in place of the mouse and keyboard. The main reason other than work requirements that I have a somewhat ridiculously overpowered PC is to run the new Microsoft FS (not retro).

But having a good amount of PC power can be useful for the more demanding emulators, such as PS2, PS3 and even PS4 (I haven’t tried these yet). It’s also fun to play something like Quake II RTX which is Quake II with ray tracing, it looks amazing but requires serious horsepower especially for the video card. Playing that game for a while will heat your whole house up in the wintertime.

I run emulators on the PC for any or all consoles up through GameCube, plus MAME for arcade games. It’s all organized through Launchbox which is really nice.

I also have my original N64 connected to the 65” OLED TV, but admittedly I sold all the cartridges and have an Everdrive in there with lots of games. Well, all of them. Also connected to the TV is my original GameCube and Wii. I still have all of the GameCube and Wii discs, but the Wii disc player died on me. Thanks to this thread I hacked it with the home brew setup and it has a USB drive on it with lotsa games. Also have in the family an original SNES and a variety of Gameboys.

My eventual goal is to get a nice controller setup with joysticks, trackball and spinner so I can play the arcade classics via MAME in the big screen.

Lots of different ways to have fun.

#2718 1 year ago

Man, you guys are making me a little nervous. I got mine today and just ran through setup and boxed it back away. It seems really nice, and I'm excited to put it through its paces. I hope to get a bunch of lounge and travel play out of it, but we'll see. My problem is I have a really hard time of letting go of gaming devices/games I no longer use. I hate selling things, and I'm afraid I'll regret selling the 16-bit stuff (but that's what I have the most of). But it's just sitting there in boxes. Feels like a waste.

Pricecharting.com is pretty cool, you can enter in all your games and it will track the values. I entered all my games in there and it can be surprising how much money you have sitting there. I’m talking thousands and I don’t even have all that many games really. If you have complete games that include not only the cartridge/disc and case but also the instructions and the original box, those are worth the most.

As far as the Steam Deck, I think it should be pretty great for handheld gaming and travel. But I really want it to also work on my big TV to run the retro games. Still working on that.

#2721 1 year ago

Yeah I do use that site, and get some tempting emails for stuff even though I rarely pick up anything new. I have a complete copy of Earthbound, I rented it as a kid and got it as a gift. It's far from mint, I used the guide (a lot), but the box is really nice other than where some tape tore of a small section. That game alone is really why I'm so fickle. If I don't sell that, what's the point in selling any of it? It's one of my favorite games even though I have very little desire to revisit a grindy turn-based RPG I've already beat multiple times.
Most of the reason I hang onto it is in case my kids want it. Retro gaming seems like it could be a thing even in the future, like vinyl. I know I'm annoyed with my dad for selling off all of his Beatles records. lol.

And that's with the official deck? I know usb-c cables can be pretty finicky, but I'm surprised the official dock is giving you any problem at all. Worrying. I also need it to be pretty switch-like in its functionality.

Give me some time and I will report, I haven't had a chance to get to it, too busy with life. But hope to get to it this weekend.

#2725 1 year ago

Any suggestions for the top 5 or maybe 10 Sega Genesis games?

I have a curated collection rather than the massive "all and everything" approach some people take. For consoles its pretty much all the Ataris and Nintendos since that is what I used to play. I never had a Sega system. A family member did have a Sega Dreamcast and I played that a bit, especially Hydro Thunder which is a blast. I currently have these 3 games for the Dreamcast.

Launchbox Sega Dreamcast 2022-11 (resized).pngLaunchbox Sega Dreamcast 2022-11 (resized).png

1 month later
#2757 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

My steam deck project has been stalled due to life, but I'll get to it and report. I also just got the steam dock for it. This is to achieve my goal of connecting this to my 4k OLED TV and use a wireless game controller to play all sorts of retro emulated games.
My last attempt failed as I could not get the HDMI out to show up on the TV. But it worked fine when I connected it to my computer monitor.
I hate it when stuff doesn't just work.

I can’t believe how long it has been since I posted this, life and work has kept me away from the fun stuff. I am finding some time over the holiday break to work on some retro gaming stuff.

So as far as connecting the Steamdeck to its dock and then to the 4k TV via the Denon receiver, that was a simple matter of swapping the HDMI cable. I did that and it’s working good now. I did some testing with a wireless Xbox 360 controller, and was able to play MAME arcade games, N64, Gamecube, and Dreamcast. Everything worked great, all games played smooth. Just what I was looking for.

2 weeks later
#2759 1 year ago

Thanks again everyone for the Genesis recommendations, I finally got them set up and ready to play. It looks like a lot of fun to be had as soon as I get some time to try these.

Launchbox Sega Genesis 2023-01 (resized).jpgLaunchbox Sega Genesis 2023-01 (resized).jpg

Quoted from snyper2099:

Well, my tastes are not that typical but my 10 must have Genesis games are:
Sonic 3
Sonic and Knuckles add-on cartridge w/Sonic 2 or Sonic 3
Ecco the Dolphin
Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Thunderforce II or III
Kid Chameleon
Streets of Rage 1 or 2
Splatterhouse 3
Contra Hard Corps
Castlevania Bloodlines
I mean MUSHA is amazing but NOT affordable for the casual gamer.
So hard to just pick 10... I do not care for RGPs or most simulations.
If you like racing games, Roadblasters is really solid on Genesis.
Sidenote: NHL 94 is actually a GREAT and cheap game.

Quoted from Yokimato:

Top ten Genesis games:
Gunstar Heroes
Haunting starring Polterguy
Shining Force 2
Rock n’ Roll Racing
Streets of Rage 2
Splatterhouse 2
Castlevania Bloodlines
Warsong
Devilish
Rocket Knight Adventures
And ones I’d fight to shove in beyond ten:
Phantasy Star IV
Quack Shot starring Donald Duck
TMNT Hyperstone (though Turtles in Time on SNES is better, imo)
And pick your favorite Sonic game.
Soooo many good games on this system and there’s tons of deep pulls to be discovered. I’m close to a full Genesis library and still discovering some new goodies!

Quoted from metallik:

M.U.S.H.A is widely regarded as one of the best shmups on any system and definitely my favorite Genesis game. You can emulate or buy a repro if the cost of original is a barrier.
Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion is the first and by far the best of all the Disney games
Fire Shark
Sonic 3D Blast is surprisingly fun
Dragon's Fury (Devil's Crush for Genesis)
Strider

I'll add Road Rash 2, Comix Zone, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Jungle Strike, Sonic Spinball

Quoted from Viggin900:

Dick Tracy
Wings of Wor
Fantasia
NHL 94

Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

NHL 94
Desert Strike
Paperboy
Road Rash 1&2
NBA Live 97 or coach K College Basketball
Madden series
Sonic
Street’s of Rage 2
Centurion Defender of Rome
Jungle Strike

3 months later
#2791 1 year ago
Quoted from mackey256:

I really regret selling my GameCube and gameboy advance when I sold my systems. Sounds like a great pickup.

The Gamecubes are pretty easy to get if you are patient and look around. I got a nice Gamecube Platinum DOL-101 recently off Offerup for $40, its in great condition. I'm going to mod it when I get around to it. I still have my original GC I bought way back when they first came out, it still works fine and I didn't want to tear into it.

#2793 1 year ago

Yes to all of this. I have a GCLoader stashed away ready to go that I got a while back. I also have my original stack of GC games, I am hanging on to them for now because as you said they seem to keep going up in value.

#2794 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Yes to all of this. I have a GCLoader stashed away ready to go that I got a while back. I also have my original stack of GC games, I am hanging on to them for now because as you said they seem to keep going up in value.

I don't look at pricecharting.com too often, but I just logged in to check it out, as I have all my retro games entered in there. They have a nice chart right at the top showing the total value of your collection, it was just over $1,000 in Nov 2022, now it is at $2,256.

As far as Gamecube games, Mario Kart Double Dash is the highest one I have at $78.22. Luigi's Mansion is $62.72, not sure why that one is so popular. I also have the Gamecube Gameboy Player with Startup Disc, that is up to $182.50.

Guess I'll hang onto this stuff!

2 weeks later
2 months later
#2914 8 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Talking to the lizard people on level 3 now. I have officially made it farther than I did as a 6 year old. No idea how games like this were possible before the internet. Just figuring out how to cast a spell (which I never did as a kid) was an experience. Game is highly recommended. I've got another handful of PC games from my youth I'd like to get through now that I've discovered GOG. I've tried some of these games semi recently but configuring them to work from torrented copies was a nightmare. I'll happily pay 1.49 for Ultima Underworld and other vintage games for an easy experience on a modern PC. There are a few point in click King's Quest and similar games (Beavis and Butthead) I'd like to actually beat. Gonna be hard not to cheat though.
[quoted image]

GOG rules. I have tons of games from there. When I want to try a new one I put it on my wishlist and wait for it to come on sale. They send an email when your wishlist item comes on sale and you can snatch it up for even cheaper.

2 months later
#2995 6 months ago

Analogue 3d announced today:
https://www.analogue.co/3d
Between that and the pocket, I'm pretty covered on retro needs

Will it run Everdrive?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nes-classic-edition-unobtainium?tu=xsvtoys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.