IMG_0340 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0339 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0341 (resized).jpeg
_20240408_142036 (resized).JPG
_20240408_142108 (resized).JPG
20240407_103121 (resized).jpg
20240319_202154 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider woody24.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#115 7 years ago

I'm laughing at my friends on Facebook who have tried to find one. Built a RetroPie last year, and have had no desire to get this NES Classic Edition.

Also spent the week building my second Gameboy Zero. ALL the game in one portable system.

Even the official video from Nintendo Europe shows the same flicker of the sprites that the RetroPie emulator has.

15078773_10157665821840654_6776443213954599465_n (resized).jpg15078773_10157665821840654_6776443213954599465_n (resized).jpg

15069013_10157665821835654_5117243874183294619_o (resized).jpg15069013_10157665821835654_5117243874183294619_o (resized).jpg

#154 7 years ago

I've got the parts coming to build this. Already 3D printed the case. Was funny timing that this guy posted this just days before or after the NES Classic was announced. But this guy did Nintendo better than Nintendo.

#198 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Would be careful with believing Target's inventory system. Drove 40 minutes to a store that said "in stock" and when I asked the guy he said "Nope, sorry. Glitch in the system."
Just happened to be the phones for all their stores were down that same day and I couldn't call first.

Usually means that they probably have a box of them somewhere in the back and they are just misplaced or overlooked, and they are too lazy to go back at that moment to look again. Or too busy to leave the floor for an extended period of time. Used to work in Electronics department in college, and that's what I did. If our inventory said we had a few of them, we had a few of them. Sometimes things were burried from the distributor. So a big box could contain everything from electronics to cosmetics to sporting goods. I would do general searches, but if it came down to digging through boxes, who knew how long it would take to find, so I would just say we didn't have any in stock and the numbers hadn't been updated.

#209 7 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

How does people selling this on ebay for 4 times the price help Nintendo?

Because it's like a snowball effect. With a low quantity first batch, those who have wanted one from day one will post topics about how hard they are to find in the store, on forums that deal with another subject. Then as more and more people read those posts, more people want in on the action to find one in the store. Then it's a second hand set of people who never wanted one in the first place, but then do after seeing how hard it was to find one, and then they found one.

Then those second hand people will post about finding them, while there are still some from the first set that have yet to have found one. Then after months of this talk, 3rd and 4th tier groups now want into the action of being able to find these in the store.

Now if they released just enough plus a little extra to cover everyone who wanted one from day 1, then no discussion would have ever taken place, and the "Hunt" to find one in the store would not be there.

That's how this works. They couldn't care less about the $100's that people are making on ebay. They are playing the long con.

#212 7 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

I still don't think people are going to care much beyond the holidays. It's not like a console that's going to keep releasing games.

I didn't think I'd care about the Wii after 2 years, I still didn't, but I did buy one when I saw one.

#218 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

This guy has a few, he probably made 35k off this lot

AT least 244 of them. So he spent $14,640 before tax. Wonder if those were the ones that "fell off the truck?" From the sounds of it, I'm guessing all the stores combined in some large cities didn't even get that many.

1 week later
#231 7 years ago

Played some Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, over the holiday weekend. Never have played it before.

I've built a RetroPie Tv Console, but this Gameboy Zero is my favorite. ALL the games in the old classic gameboy. Even my brother-in-law was playing Pokemon Yellow pretty hard. So awesome being able to play all the games that you've always wanted, but either never had that system, or even knew you wanted the game.

2016-11-25 13.10.20 (resized).jpg2016-11-25 13.10.20 (resized).jpg

#232 7 years ago
Quoted from grbgemen:

How do the retropi systems look when hooked up to a modern day LED/Plasma ?

Better than you've ever seen a game like that before. They are pixel perfect. I was skeptical. But there's no way you can get a clearer picture.

It's kind of amazing knowing that we're playing games that look better than what the guys who made the games saw when they were developing them.

#259 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I hope they don't make anymore and see that its in demand and make a new one based on the super Nintendo with wireless OG controllers, download capability and it comes stocked with 100 games, I might be crazy no I am crazy, but I would gladly pay a couple hundred dollars for that option.

$300 and you can have my first Gameboy Zero. Download capability, and stocked with 1000's of games. All the NES, SNES, and Genesis games.

Actually. Well, I wouldn't technically be able to sell you the games.

#268 7 years ago

They need new ideas, and not remakes of their main IP's. I used to love Call of Duty. But stopped buying them every year 2-3 years ago, because it was the same thing dressed differently.

If all the characters between Mario and Zelda are the only main draw to the console, people are going to get burnt out. They need to get publishers behind it to create unique games that only the Switch can handle. The Wii U was close. Otherwise, Nintendo may as well do a Sega, and make games for the other systems.

They also need to discover those new up and coming developers. Get some great games from them, and sign an exclusive deal. Ports from the big publishers mega games never get the same treatment. They feel like a half-assed game trying to duct-tape new functionality to them.

1 week later
#299 7 years ago

I bought one of those Genesis things a few years ago. Went to the game replay store to buy some old games. About half of what I bought would play on it. Not all original games are compatible with it.

*Edit.

About the Lag, are we sure it's controller lag, and not framerate?

Agree that the TV settings can cause lag. Pinball Arcade was unplayable on the PS4. Changed TV mode to Game, and it was fine. But I guess when I first read jwo825's post about Megaman with Lag, my first thought was a slowdown in framerate since he mentioned 2 games with that problem, and not all of the games.

#303 7 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

To clarify: compared to a real NES, there seemed to be lag on all games. It was just more noticeable and critical on the games like Mega Man and SMB that require quick and precise jumps/movement.

Most likely your TV settings then. My RetroPie Console had lag until I switched the display mode to the Gaming Preset. Go into your settings on your TV where you'd change brightness and contrasts and stuff, and see if your TV has a Gaming preset.

#324 7 years ago

For as well in advance that they announced the NES Classic, they should have had boat loads already over to cover all sales. But they just won't give up their marketing plan. Didn't they do that with the Wii U, and no one really cared? They didn't sell as hot as they were. I agree with Ben, the switch looks nice, but I bet it will be like Snakes on the Plane. Everyone loves it now, but won't support it when it's actually out.

#336 7 years ago

I've got a Facebook friend who's made several angry posts about not being able to get an NES Classic. I've told him twice that I would build him a Raspberry Pi RetroPie for the same price. He's said "maybe" twice. I'm not going to push it. But even with me explaining that there'd be no discernable difference between it and the NES Classic, plus all access to the games, I think some people just don't like the idea of a home built system. Not that they are against "borrowing" games, but because just the idea intimidates them. It took me a while to finally build one because no matter how many times people said to do it, I just didn't figure I'd be happy with the outcome. Figured there had to be something wrong with it.

I also haven't done PC emulation just because I'm afraid of the emulation software. Again, just that stereotypical feeling that the software is shady, and that I'll get a virus. I feel safer with a RPi.

So in NES Classic news, and I'm sure this will rub some people the wrong way. I saw last Friday Amazon made a tweet about the NES being available on Prime Now in the Indy Area. I was quick enough to get one. As soon as I got it, I took photos of it, and posted it to ebay. After my initial purchase and after ebay, paypal, and shipping fees, I made $78 from it.

#343 7 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I have been wanting a console I can take with me for a long time.

You mean like this Gameboy Zero I built? Love this thing. Really wish I had this when I was 12. Road trips would have been much better.
http://consolebuilders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=4&sid=cc0573a094bf7f91d17d149d27d57c15#p4

#345 7 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Wish I had time to do this sort of thing, but its just not feasible with my schedule. I just need something that works and isnt a home made modded item.

You're right. It is a pretty big project to tackle. Took me maybe 16 hours to build, and wasn't necessarily super cheap either. But the thing is pretty awesome.

#355 7 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

After the holidays, most people aren't going to give a fuck. I wanted one since it was first announced this past spring, and I already don't give a fuck (almost, still want one though). Nintendo, maybe you should have shut off production of the Wii U last year and started on the NES Classic instead. It apparently sells better. You stupid fucks. It pisses me off that these people are so rich when they have no idea what the fuck is going on. Do they live in a bubble?

Your tone sounds like maybe you do give a fuck.

#413 7 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

I love how folks are so quick to say they can build it themselves with Raspberry Pi and have every game ever made. Legally you should only be downloading ROMs for the games you already own. Buying the NES Classic takes care of the legal piece too of owning the game.

tumblr_leygrtnRTu1qzu18ao1_400 (resized).pngtumblr_leygrtnRTu1qzu18ao1_400 (resized).png

1 week later
#468 7 years ago

If anyone is curious about building their own Retro Console, I've actually started a forum because a project from someone else went dead in the water. The fans of that project are now trying to build their own versions.

The forum is new, so not a whole lot of info yet. Hoping to have some members start sharing their process and builds.

http://consolebuilders.com/forum

#522 7 years ago

I do not know why, but the only TMNT game I'd ever owned was the very first one for the NES. It was terrible. And I longed for a version just like the Arcade game. And I had no idea that there were like 5 versions of TMNT just like the arcade game. And one of them was the arcade version for the NES.

I don't know why I never had any of them. Especially the Genesis version. So I've been playing through that version on my RetroPie Console. Grateful for save states!

#527 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Think I was the exact age where the advertising of "GENESIS IS COOLER!" worked on me, so I never got into the SNES until much later.
Remember Road Rash? How cool was that, right?

Same here. Went from NES to Genesis. Only played SNES at my friends and Walmart. I even have a nice Star Fox lapel pin for their Weekend tournament they held.

Road Rash and Streets of Rage were my jam.

#528 7 years ago

Couple years ago I realized that NES games are pretty expensive. Our local Game trader store was selling a nicely boxed (but opened) copy of Contra for like $100. Zelda was like $60.

Makes me wonder what my collection is worth. I know I sold a bunch of NES games in the early 90's at a yard sale that I probably wished I still had. But know I have near-mint copies (with mint boxes) of Zelda, Mike Tyson, and Mario 1 & 2.

What's the most valuable common NES game? I mean one that everyone probably had. Not that super rare track and field game. Just curious what games everyone wishes they didn't get rid of.

#533 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I was playing games like JP, and trying to figure out how to get past Trex.

I don't think I ever got past the Raptors nest. I need to look up youtube to see if someone has the full playthrough. Not sure if I ever saw the Trex.

#546 7 years ago

Leveling up in Dragon's Lair? Thought it was linear cartoon? I didn't understand that game. I wanted full control over movement.

#549 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm sorry. Wrong name: Dragon Warrior.

Never was an RPG person. The very first Zelda was the only one I'd ever really played until Oblivion (360). So I couldn't even think of anything that sounded similar to Dragon's Lair.

#552 7 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

nfl film Football Follies

I miss sports bloopers.

#571 7 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Did anyone have the Power Glove? Fess up!

YES! And I cannot find it! I thought I knew exactly where it was in my parents house, but it wasn't there. Was wanting to put it on my display shelf. Considered ordering one from ebay, but decided not to, because it wasn't "mine."

But yes. So terrible.

#591 7 years ago

The switch could very easily be the PS Vita. The Vita had so much potential. Love the Uncharted game, and rarely played anything else after that. The developers just crapped up the games. Also didn't help that the AAA developers handed their titles down to the B and C teams.

The Vita had power, some games were cross-buy, so you'd be able to take your games with you. But the screwed it up with the stupid menu system, and the rear touchpad taking over the L2+R2 buttons.

#592 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Jeez they have gone up. I'm glad five years ago I bought one when it was $35...

I so wanted to love Mega Man. Had a friend who had a couple, and he was really good at them. But then when I played, I became impatient and couldn't stay alive. Even today I can't stand playing any Mega Mans.

#599 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

hope they announce some launch titles.

...and not use footage from a Madden game from the PS3.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2386582,00.asp

#610 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

There's a reason PS4 is the fastest selling console ever - Sony makes as many as people can buy.

Also probably doesn't hurt that Microsoft screws up their systems. Just bought a XBone before Christmas with their special pricing, after loving my PS4 for over a year now. And they're still making the menu system a cluster. I have no idea how to navigate around. They ended up doing the same with the 360 over time, and I eventually stopped playing it because of it. And I actually haven't touched my Xbone since Christmas because the menu makes me feel claustrophobic.

#612 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

What are you talking about!??!! Do you just fumble menus with consoles, or do you play games?? I'm confused abou.. (sorry, confusing question)

Microsoft has just made it confusing to use. I had no idea where to launch my game from. It's pretty obvious where stuff is at with the PS4. The first gen of the 360 software was so much easier to use and navigate through their menu system.

#621 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Huh? You just click on the movies icon and it launches... the disc you put in moves to the front of the queue so it's like the first option...

Could be talking about the previous version of the software. While I think the disc was always first, within the year they've finally added back the image and title of the movie to show in the menu. Something the PS3 had pretty much always done, but the PS4 didn't do. Before it was a generic disc icon with "Bluray" under it. So if he was used to looking for the title of the movie, like I was the first time, I could see it.

Now the Xbox One. That was confusing. Why the heck do I have to download the player? Why wouldn't it already be installed?

#623 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I eventually fired up the PS3 and it worked fine! (Supports 3D Blu ray too)

I still use my PS3 as my main bluray player because of the previous lack of Movie thumbnail, title, and 3D support.

#626 7 years ago

i have a launch ps3 that i waited in line for like 20 hours for hah, missed a day of college classes for it. It runs so loud now like a jet engine I cant watch a full movie on it without it sounding like its going to explode. Even streaming netflix on it makes it sound like a 747. I hardly use it. I've cleaned out the dust and everything in it, not sure why its like that, maybe all of them are? anyone else have that problem with the og ps3?

I had a PS3 from a few months after launch. It was one with backwards capability. But a couple years ago I had used it so much, the thing died 3 times. I was able to fix it the first 2 times, but after the third, I decided to get the new slim. But while the fat one made noise, I didn't find it distracting. I think my 360 disc drive made more noise that the Fat PS3 did.

#637 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

the ps4 pro is a strange move on sony's part. by introducing a splintered platform, developers now have to code and accommodate for 2 sets of hardware and try to make the games look good on both

I wondered if the time was coming soon, where consoles started to bridge into the PC word. Meaning, small upgrades.

In the past, consoles were pretty much the same throughout their life. They may get a re-design, new smaller internals, but they still pretty much did everything exactly the same.

With this PS4 Pro, and the Xbox Scorpio to come out, it seems that instead of waiting a couple more years to release the next completely new version, they just bump up the hardware a bit.

But I agree. I bought a PS4 a year ago. Now, do I have to worry about games that come out in a year or two only being supported on the Pro?

#639 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I think part of the problem is many people are reluctant to upgrade at the start of a new gen and continue playing the past gen. This seemed especially prominent with the jump from PS3/PS4 and XB360/XBONE. I know very few people who have upgraded until this past year and these consoles have been out for 3 or 4 years.
For me the problem has been games. There just hasn't been any games that have defined this generation. A lot of them have been remasters and collections.
I'm intrigued by VR because it's a new experience but it needs games as well for me to take the plunge.

That was exactly my reason for holding out. I was still playing and enjoying the PS3. There just seemed to be less of a jump in graphics and awesomness from the PS3 to the PS4 like there was from the PS1 to PS2 to PS3.

When the PS3 came out, I couldn't ditch the PS2 any quicker. But really had no desire for the PS4 until Fallout 4 came out.

Just feels that technology isn't jumping like the leaps and bounds like it used to. Meaning PC power. Where everything pretty much doubled every 6 months. Now it's all incremental bumps. I wouldn't be surprised if this current generation of consoles lasts longer than the previous. Which I think is the reason why they are updating their systems now. 4K and VR are the new things, so they are including them now, instead of waiting for the next generation of systems.

#643 7 years ago

Remember when it was a big decision to spend $400 on a 35in CRT TV, and then you had it for like 20 years? Because you had to also think about and purchase the perfect entertainment center that held your VCR, NES, and Cable descrambler, along with the stacks of VHS tapes of recorded episodes of Dallas.

#676 7 years ago

Went to Target yesterday and saw they already have an endcap already boxed off waiting for the Switch.

When the first teaser came out at the end of last year, I would was sworn we wouldn't see it for another year and a half.

#679 7 years ago

I see Gamestop is still doing the "We're going to make you buy a bunch of crap," pre-order system.

http://www.gamestop.com/switch

#685 7 years ago

It's tempting to pre-order, but I just can't get enthused by the games. Love the system and what it can do, but I really don't want to only play Mario and Zelda on it. I know Nintendo is in it's own market, and by having all the same games that the Xbox and PS have, wouldn't do it any good. But this is the kind of system I'd love to be able to play GTA or Battlefield on.

I bought a New 3Ds last year because of nostalgia, but at that time, I wished they didn't charge $5 for every single retro game. Just wished they'd at least make bundles and volumes.

#692 7 years ago

Well, I decided to order a Switch. Target sold out. Bestbuy sold out. Walmart sold out.

I decided not to buy a Switch.

#695 7 years ago

Just got from from Gamestop. They have the system by itself now.

Stupid Hype. Oh well. I bought a WiiU last year, and have only played it like 5 hours. Got it because of Mario maker. Figured I'll dump off the WiiU and replace it with the switch.

#696 7 years ago

yeah, i just hope best buy doesnt screw me and cancel my preorder cause they over sold it or something, that has happened with them in the past.

I hate pre-ordering special editions from Bestbuy. Been screwed over twice. The one I remember though, is I went up to customer service to pick up, and the lady brought me the regular version. I said, no, that's not the one. She said, it's X though. Yes, it is, but look at the price, what I ordered is more than that. Then she called over the manager who did and said the EXACT same thing that she did. "But this is X though." Again, yes, but look at the price, mine is the special edition. So the manager went over to the shelf, looked, and then came back and said, "We had a midnight launch last night. We must have sold it then. Would you like the regular version?" No, I will be getting a full refund and purchasing the regular version from someone else.

10 years ago. I'm not bitter anymore.

#698 7 years ago

wow, yeah, I opted to have it shipped rather than in store pickup to keep it out of their hands hah. I might not get it on launch day but if I actually receive what I ordered, hooray

Not sure why I did the in-store pickup. Maybe there was a shipping cost? Or maybe would have come a day later? Or actually felt like not being lazy? But after that, I've done it again. Was not a happy camper.

#720 7 years ago

I feel that a lot of the pre-orders are probably those who jumped on the hype-train, or are hoping that the system is hard to find when it's released so that they can resell it. I don't think that selling out of the pre-orders proves anything right now.

And since I figured I'd give my Wii U another shot, I went to go find some cheap games for it. And geez. No wonder it's kinda failed. Seems all the retailers have abandoned the system. I know the Switch is coming out soon, but they should have a few more games than just a handful of titles that are $60 and clearanced musical games. Doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

I did find one store that had Zelda Wind-whatever and Marioland whatever for $20 each. Picked those up.

#743 7 years ago

Never liked how games on the NES, SNES, and Genesis kept to the arcade way of thinking. By giving you a time limit, lives, or a limited number of continues, and if you run out, you have to start completely over. And if you think about it, when games started to remove those restrictions, arcades became more scarce. Arcades were still pretty strong during the life of the NES, and mostly through the SNES and Genesis.

#749 7 years ago

Always wanted a Game Genie, but just never got one. Was one of those things that my parents wouldn't buy for me, and I'd rather buy a game with my money than the Game Genie. Recently I'd been looking on ebay to see what they're going for, just buy one just to have. Still may.

#769 7 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Still, if it was sitting in front of me on a shelf, I'd probably put it in my cart.

Same here. And I don't even think I'd boot it up. Would probably go on my display shelf.

#770 7 years ago

Been playing a little bit of Zelda Wind Walker for the WII U, and damn those controls suck. The "A" button seems to everything. I can't stop from diving everywhere. And I can only play with my up/down look inverted, and there's only an option to invert them in first person view. So i'm either looking straight up or straight down most of the time.

Just hope that the Switch version of Zelda has better controls, or I'll probably end up selling the system.

#775 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's odd. The camera is always in a normal place when I play. You must be doing something wrong.

It's usually when I spin the camera around, and a lot of the times, it's not just a straight Left or Right, I always add just a tiny bit of up and down, and when I go to correct it, I'm going backwards to what I'm used to, so it just ends up being straight up or down.

Try playing a FPS with the up and down inverted to how you like it, and you'll see. Although, I'm a rarity, in that I can't stand the default up and down controls, so I always have to go into the settings and invert them. Drives my friends nuts if we play and pass.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

I've never had any trouble adapting to a game's unique controls.

Unique controls are one thing. But when controls are standard with every other game, and they go against it, that's another. The main thing is that I cannot change the up and down controls like I can in every other single game. And one button does WAY too much. The dive and roll button is the same as the pick up and open button.

#784 7 years ago

I wonder how many would be able to tell the difference between the two versions. "This grass sounds...more realistic." Not sure why they would make two different quality sound files. I can't imagine the Wii U not being able to handle it.

#786 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Newer Hardware = newer tricks for better A/V.

Maybe. But I'm not an audiophile, just seems that audio has stayed relatively unchanged for a while, unless you get into the whole ultimate surround sound experience.

But could be that the Wii U at the time used inferior parts? I remember reading a story about the OG PS1, that someone figured out that it used super high quality audio components found in $500 receivers or something like that.

#788 7 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Xbox One typically runs at 900p to boost framerate.

But...But...But. 4K gaming. HDR. 900p < 4K.

Also, found an article about the PS1. http://retrogamesandhardware.com/playstation-1-as-audiophile-quality-cd-player/

#803 7 years ago

I always remembered Contra as "Select, Start." I always corrected people whenever they only said "Start". Then read up on it a few years ago that select start was for 2 players. Which is how I always played, since I never had the game, and always played at a friends house. And then instead of 30 lives, I always remembered it as 99 lives. Then read that the code had to be entered again maybe really really quickly during a certain screen to get 99 lives.

I remember the both of us beating the game 2 1/2 times on 99 lives. Once you beat the game, you can continue to start over again with the remaining ones.

#841 7 years ago

So what was the last Zelda game made up till this point? Was there ever one exclusively built for the Wii U? I thought the Twilight Princess one was since it came with an Amiibo. I mean besides the new one yet to come out.

Forgot that you could also connect your GBA to the Gamecube for a second screen. I already had a GBA SP, and bought a GameCube just to play Medal of Honor and Metroid with the second screen.

#857 7 years ago

edit: but there are def not 550 worth playing lol.

I think I have around 900 games for the NES on my RetroPie setup. I need to weed out the crap. I'm pretty sure I'll never play any of the Sesame Street or Barbie games.

#859 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

CDi......(shudder)
we had one of these. Is it a DVD player? Is it a game system? or a half assed attempt at both. <------------this is the correct answer.

Was it a DVD player, or did it play movies on a CD?

I remember a regional department store had one on display. All I remember was playing a game with a truck driving through a canyon.

2 weeks later
#945 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

speaking of ps4...I just got VR and RE7. Ready to @#$#@$ myself.

Yeah, let us know what you think about the VR experience. I've been playing the waiting game. Going to see if things get upgrades next year, or price breaks. Not sure if I want to go down the slightly cheaper PS4 way, or spend the extra money for an Vive or Rift.

Played the demo of RE7, and man, that's a good looking game. Haven't been that deep emotionally since Silent Hill 2. I really want to get RE7, but also need to play it with a friend, for ah... support.

#950 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

One thing I don't like is it makes it look like your looking in a hole? You'd have to see it to know but if you compare to galaxy vr or the ces PS4, the home version seems small where others make the screen look huge

I, very briefly, tried a PSVR demo at Fry's. But I think I know what you mean. I wore my glasses on underneath it, and I wasn't sure if the headset was fully on. I kept wanting to shove it closer to my face.

#955 7 years ago

Saw a few headlines today that the rumor is that Nintendo is going to stop production of the NES Classic. The system can't be making them much, and with the Switch coming out, I can see them putting all resources into that, since they seemed to have sold quite a bit of pre-orders already. So I don't blame them I guess. Just kinda sucks because I was wanting a shelf display toy.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/767007/Nintendo-Classic-Mini-NES-production-ended

#958 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's free money, zero effort. Just have to make them and ship them. There's no way they stop. They still can't fill demand.

If they retailed for $100, then sure, I'd say it's free money. But since it's $60, they can't be making a whole lot from them. You got the manufacturer, the crate shipper, the warehouse distributor, and then the retail stores, not to mention the license fee they probably have to pay for the games that aren't theirs. After everyone takes their piece of the $60, I'd say Nintendo probably isn't left with more than $10. And even though that $10 is pure profit, is it really enough to to mass-produce them non-stop when they're banking on the Switch, which no-doubt will have a much larger profit margin?

Sell 100k NES Classics? Or sell 100k Switches?

Just because something is popular and has demand, doesn't mean that it's worth it. I can sell all my stuff on Ebay, but for the amount of effort it took to make $10 profit, I might as well have just thrown the item in the trash.

#985 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I'm sure the movie won't do it full justice.

That's my worry. Read a while back that it sounds like Spielberg may strip a lot of his own references and other 80's references out. That the story isn't about all that stuff. I think that's what I remember reading anyway.

Hopefully it will at least be fun.

1 week later
#995 7 years ago

I've got my Switch on it's way. I think the estimate is Monday delivery. But I'm still on the fence about it. I'm not going to open it up right away. I'm actually considering returning it. I ordered it with the hype, and a slow time with my projects. I'm getting really busy now, and don't have time to play much.

#1037 7 years ago

My Switch came yesterday right as I got home from work. Pulled into my driveway, got out of my car, and there was the UPS guy pulling in right behind me.

I ended up opening it up and playing it. Got Zelda. And I must say, it is very cool. I really do hope the system succeeds. Kinda bummed that the WII U that I rarely played and traded in for Switch credit, was the version that came with the download version of Mario Maker. Sucks that I can't load it onto the Switch and play.

The thing is a little smaller than I pictured. It does feel solid. Controls are nice. Not sure if I really want to spend the money for the Pro Controller though. Zelda controls are exactly how I'd expect them to work. No more frustration.

So I'll keep my Switch handy at my desk and play it every now and then while I'm waiting for video to render or just need to take a break.

#1040 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

Nintendo Switch isn't retro.

Would you rather there be more non-pinball related posts started here on Pinside?

#1046 7 years ago

So I pre-ordered Zelda and have been playing it. Man the world is huge. Pretty great game. Kinda like Skyrim, but only more childish.

But this weekend I decided to go get Bomberman too. Loved playing it on the Gameboy, and have never played another version of it since. Went to Bestbuy, Walmart, Gamestop, and Meijers. All sold out. But every place had Zelda and the Dancing game. I would have thought Zelda would have been clearly sold out. Figured it'd be the game everyone bought, even if they were waiting for a system.

BUT...Target did have a lot of copies of Bomberman, but for some reason, I just couldn't ask the high school kid to open the case for me to get me a copy of it.

Oh, and Gamestop. Man, they must have been told to harass people as much as they can. I hate their game of 20 questions as soon as you walk in the door.

What brought you in today?
My feet.
What are you looking for?
I'm just looking.
What system do you have?
All of them.
What types of games do you like to play?
The fun ones.
Do you know about our specials?
No.
If you.....
I turned around, said thanks, and walked out. I wasn't having it. Just leave me alone.

#1050 7 years ago

SPOILER TIP FOR ZELDA. Well, not spoiler for story, but if you want to figure things out on your own, try to divert your eyes.

There is a trial where you have to navigate a rolling ball through a maze by tilting your controller. Like those labyrinth marble mazes. Well, I kept getting frustrated that the maze slowly kept re-orienting itself. It would not stay straight with how I was holding the controller, and it kept throwing me off. After a while, I got frustrated, and while I was moving the controller, the new ball dropped and landed in an area that was blocked off on all 4 sides. I couldn't roll the ball out. So I vigorously rocked the controller, to which the ball wouldn't come out. But then it hit me. Dump the ball out. I flipped the controller upside down and the ball fell out of the maze, and a new ball fell on the the now righted- bottom side. Without the maze to contend with, I was able to just directly navigate the ball to where it needed to go without any obstacle.

I feel that this was done on purpose. They created a smooth underside of the maze. I kinda feel like I discovered an easter egg that was built in for those of us that would get frustrated.

#1067 7 years ago

Interesting. I knew that Amazon offered discounts on games for pre-ordering if you have Prime. But I saw that Bomberman was back in stock from Amazon, and it's $10 because I have Prime. Didn't check out any other games yet, but that's cool if they extend the discount post-release.

1 week later
#1075 7 years ago

Anyone else already tired of Zelda? I keep playing it thinking that I'm going to get over the hump of when the game actually becomes fun, but I just don't see it. I guess I'm expecting it to be more like Skyrim. I absolutely hate that the weapons break after just 1 or two fights. I'm spending more time searching for shrines so that I can get more health hearts so that I can live longer, and it's just been killing the fun I should be having. Also hate lightning.

I guess I was hoping it to be more like Skyrim.

#1078 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

How far are you in the main story? I mean later on the weapons break less but I'm enjoying it. Although now I'm searching for shrines to up my hearts and stamina. But just exploring is fun, I also started to do all the side quests in the towns. There are tons! However I have be guide book to help a little

Pretty sure I'm not far at all. I have 4-5 main quests in my journal. Although some kinda feel like a side quest because I come across them on my way to somewhere, but show up under the main quest menu.

I've got the camera, and now I have to find the same locations shown in the album. And I think that's where I've decided that I would try to find shines and climb those towers to see if I can stumble across those locations.

But that's been what's hurting my fun the most. Guess I should look up to see where those spots are, so that I can progress in the main story.

1 week later
#1082 7 years ago

Have they abandoned the NES Classic? I haven't seen anything about it since the Switch came out. I kinda expected that.

I keep looking at BrickSeek, and everytime I check, it says that it's <1% in stock. At one point a couple months ago, I saw 22%.

#1084 7 years ago

I keep checking Target, Walmart, and Bestbuy whenever I'm there. No special trips just for the NES, just general stops. I'm not hunting them out, but when I do see one on the shelf I'm going to get one. So it's no big deal.

But they obviously don't care about it as much as the Switch, or they'd be ramping up production. I've read a report that they are doing that with the Switch.

#1085 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

You could try istocknow.com as well.

Well that worked out well. Said PrimeNow had it in stock, and just placed my order for one. Thanks. Searching done.

1 week later
#1096 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

wait, what?!? so, according to this "so called" employee, nintendo is going to eliminate a game system that they can't keep on the store shelves and instead go back to manufacturing a system that is over 30 years old that uses cartridges that are no longer produced by companies that no longer exist? hmm... I don't think so

I'd half-believe it. RetroUSB proves that there's still money to be made in a 30 year old console. Plus, I wouldn't say that Nintendo isn't able to keep up with production. More like refusing the ramp up production. There'd be no excuse that there shouldn't be Classic NES's on the shelves of every store by this point.

#1098 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

do you see nintendo doing the same thing?

We'll find out this fall.

#1116 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Late to the XBox party. Just bought this on Groupon. I have no idea what games to get.

I bought one of the $250 systems around Christmas. I bought Forza 5 and Forza Horizon 2. It came with Gears of War 4, but it kinda sucks. The Forza's are fun, but I haven't had really any desire to play it much. But I was the same way. I've got the system, now what? Since most games are on both PS4, and Xbone, I still prefer the PS4. I think the too overly complicated menu system of the Xbone kills it for me.

#1118 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Glad I'm not the only one confused and annoyed by their menu.

They did the same thing to the 360. Used to be nice and slick and easy to tell where you were at and needed to go. Then halfway through it's lifespan, they re-designed it, and made it very confusing. I stopped using my 360 pretty much as soon as that happened.

Look up "Xbox 360 Blade Menu" if you didn't have a system during that time.

#1121 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Don't forget, it's downward compatible with a bunch of 360 games. If you haven't already, Bioshock (1,2, and Infinite) are masterpiece games. You can get the remastered collection, but from what I hear, it runs poorly compared to the 360 port.

I had to laugh at the Red Dead Redemption repackage. While looking for something to buy for my One, I saw they had RDR in XboxONe packaging. But upon closer look, it was the 360 version of the game, at full retail price of $50. But yet, you could get the "Best of" version or whatever they call their discount games for the 360, for $20 new.

#1125 7 years ago
Quoted from Dutchman2009:

Still crazy that there aren't enough being shipped out.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Took just over 2 years before you could walk into any store at any time to see a Wii sitting on the shelf. It's only been 2 months for the Switch. And heck, the NES Classic still isn't fully available either.

I'd say for as popular as the Switch seems to be, it'll be at least next year before Nintendo fully ramps up production.

#1138 7 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Been playing lots of nes games that I've never played. Lil Samson, bubble bobble 2, chip and dale 2, dragon warrior 4, etc,,,
Wrestlefest, sf vs marvel, predator vs aliens and aliens on mame and alpha.
And tons of the metal slugs!

That was my favorite part too. Being able to play the games that I had always wanted, but never got to play. And also discovering ones that I never knew I should have gotten.

Makes me wonder if 20 years from now, we'll be building similar systems with all the PS4 and Xbone games.

#1140 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

And why don't stores have playable displays anymore? Best Buy still does I think. As a kid, that was a surefire way to get me to want your console. I remember playing Sonic on Genesis at Service Merchandise and ended up getting it for Christmas. Game Gear was the same way.

Target still does I think.

I've never owned an SNES, but have spent hours playing it at Walmart. The same first levels of DK County, Starfox, Mario, some Hockey game, and a few others.

#1158 7 years ago

Had the first gen PS3 Fat. It started to fail a few years ago. I fixed it a few times. Fixed the laser. And then it had the Yellow light of death a few more times. I didn't want to give it up since it had backwards capabilities. But after the 4th time opening it up, I decided that it was time to just get a slim.

#1161 7 years ago

guess ill never get one. never even saw one on a shelf ha. i think its neat but not worth the scalper price and i have a library of about 300 actual nes carts to play

Kinda sucks. I've got one now, but I'll never play it. Only wanted it for a shelf toy. I've got a facebook friend who has a 5 year old boy, and ever since it was released he's been in a pissed off mood about how he can never find one for his son to relive the games he grew up playing, and how the scalpers ruin everything. He reposts every article stating how much easier it is to find one now with a 3-5 paragraph rant about how terrible Nintendo and scalpers are. I'm sure an article about the shutdown of production won't make him any happier. I expect a 20 paragraph rant. I've offered to build him a Raspberry Pi system, but he won't take it.

#1166 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I call BS, they freakin discontinued it because people learned how to hack it and people are offering to mod the Classic for a fee on CL.

That doesn't make sense either. They still have to sell the hardware to people to be able to do that. If anything, that'd boost sales. The Switch thing makes the most sense. There's more money to be made with that system in the long run.

#1171 7 years ago

Not surprising. I think this is what most people expected to happen. And it only makes sense.

Question is, do they put the previous NES games in an SNES Box? Or keep the two systems separate?

With the discontinued NES system, and the numerous people who still hadn't gotten one, I'd say the smart thing to do is to add both systems games into the new system. But for nostalgia reasons, if I didn't get the NES one, I'd still want them separate.

#1173 7 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

At least Microsoft and Sony don't play the "limited supply" game like Nintendo does.

I remember when the Zapper gun first came out (the grey stand alone version), we searched and searched and searched and couldn't find it anywhere. My parents called all of our relatives to tell them to keep an eye out. To this day, I still remember my Dad's aunt as the one who eventually found the NES Zapper.

1 week later
#1193 6 years ago

Anyone else's Switch nun-chucks starting to look dirty around the buttons? It's not dirt, but worn. Like the lighter grey color is rubbing off, revealing a darker grey color.

#1206 6 years ago

Played all the new battle mode stuff in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe last night. Super fun!

Super Fun? Super frustrating! I've played quite a few races and battles online, and I don't think I've finished any higher than 9th online. I can't get any traction. As soon as I start moving, I get hit with something.

#1211 6 years ago

Hmm I'm played local multiplayer so not sure how the online stuff works.

Suppose local multiplayer would be funner. I need to find some friends.

Online is just too chaotic. Too many people, and too many available power ups for that many people. Wish there was a way to filter out race types. Like: No Power Ups, Only boosters, Very limited offensive power ups.

#1214 6 years ago

local you can change a lot of those options, maybe the host of the multiplayer games online can set those as well?

I think it's all randomly generated by the Nintendo servers. You just tell it if you want to race people regionally (looks to be people within your same continent, because I've raced people from Canada and Mexico) or Worldwide, and then are given the option of three different maps, and then the server picks the game type (battle) or speed (race. only seen 100 and 150).

I haven't seen an option to host my own online race. So I think they just do everything for you.

1 month later
#1323 6 years ago

Any idea if that Star Fox 2 version is any different than the other ROMs floating around?

#1348 6 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Nintendo has always been able to weave magic into their batteries.

That's for sure. I had one of the first Nintendo DS's, and hadn't touched it for like 2 years. Powered right up with about 1/2 battery life left.

3 weeks later
#1392 6 years ago

You guys seen the mini arcade cabs at Walmart? Think there's 4-5 version. All I remember is Pacman and Centipede. But unfortunately, even though they're all apart of the same collection, Pacman uses a screen similar to the old Tiger Electronics games, where Centipede uses an actual LCD display. I think they were $20 each. Maybe $30? Should have taken photos.

Pacman - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pac-Man-Mini-Arcade-Game/54370845
A Unisex version of Frogger - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Unisex-Adult-Retro-Arcade-Video-Game-Mini-Console-Frogger/417815790
Qbert - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Q-Bert-Arcade-Game-Family-Game-by-Schylling-9549/892253690
And a unisex version of Centipede - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Unisex-Adult-Retro-Arcade-Video-Game-Mini-Console-Centipede/860777140
Space Invaders - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Space-Invaders-Mini-Arcade-Game/54370846

Would have totally bought Pacman and Space Invaders if they used a full color LCD screen.

4 weeks later
#1431 6 years ago

Saw someone say that both Bestbuy and Amazon had preorders last night. Now, what's the point of signing up for the "Email for Notification" if they don't notify you?

#1435 6 years ago

Could be something in their system to drive sales. The notifications system might not be set up to let you know exactly when an item is for sale, but it might be set up to let you know that they are not sold out yet. So they initially release it, let people buy them, and then after orders drop, they then let people know about it so that orders pick up again. Why pay for the service that sends out emails when they can let the product sell itself first.

#1438 6 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

Anybody here hoping that Nintendo is making about 7 million of these so there are no shortages?

I think everyone is hoping, but no one believes.

#1440 6 years ago

Speaking of Switch. What happened to their free game every month program? Thought their original plan it was going to be free for everyone this year, and then later on, you'd have to pay for the service?

#1441 6 years ago

Well what the heck. Got an email from WalMart 17 minutes ago saying that the SNES was in stock. But already sold out. I have a Pebble Smartwatch, and usually emails get notified on my watch, but not this time. If I had seen it when I got the email, I may have gotten one.

3 weeks later
#1473 6 years ago

Saw the headline for that. I didn't realize it was a Summer 2018 thing though. Still, what's Nintendo thinking? SURE they will still sell them all in 2018, but why not get a head start, and start making and shipping them before Christmas? It's not like they need to spend more time developing it.

#1481 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Original hardware is 100%. Emulation is not. Retro gamers want games to play and sound exactly like they should. Emulators can have lag or performance issues. Sound can be different. Many gamers like to sit in front of their TV with the real controller, not in front of a computer with a fake pad.

Aren't these Classic Editions emulators too anyways?

I've got a RetroPie setup on my TV, I've also built 3 Gameboy Zero's so far. But I also have the NES Classic and have the SNES Classic on pre-order. Those two things aren't 3D printed, or cheap China knockoffs. The SNES won't be played, just like the NES hasn't ever been plugged in. They will live on my display shelf in my office.

Other people are hard to convince that a Retropie system is just as good. I've still been trying to convince a friend to buy the stuff for one, and I'll put it together. He's still dead set on bashing Nintendo for their marketing practices.

2 weeks later
#1502 6 years ago

i wonder how 24/7 walmarts will do a line... hmm... I might have to show up thursday night and find out. I work before all the other retailers open so that is my only shot

I remember back during the GTA III days when Walmart said they'd do midnight releases. They said, "Wednesday at Midnight!" I showed up Tuesday at 11:50pm and then asked for a manager at midnight when no one was bringing the games out. One said it comes out "Wednesday at midnight." My roommate and I would be like, "yeah, that's right now."

Which is probably why I now see 12:01 am releases.

#1524 6 years ago

Saw a headline that the StarFox 2 Rom will play on the RetroPie. Hoping I can find it somewhere tonight. Also, kinda worried about my SNES Classic. Pre-ordered through Walmart. Got an email about a month ago saying that the delivery date will be this monday. Haven't heard a word or seen an update since.

#1526 6 years ago

was it the first or second wave of preorders cause they canceled all the original preorders. I didnt know they ever did a second wave.

Second wave. It was a really quick pre-order. I think they sold out in like 10 mins. Looked up my order info, and says it's preparing for shipment. So they still have the order.

Also looked up info about Star Fox 2. Found this a bit odd. Wonder why they did this? If this is true, there's going to be a lot of angry fans who didn't know this.

"An unreleased sequel to one of the SNES' best loved games, Star Fox 2 isn't immediately accessible when you switch on your new mini-gaming machine. In order to unlock the game, you'll need to beat the first level of the original Star Fox. Yep, it's as simple as that. If you just play through the first level, then go back to the main menu of the SNES Classic Mini, you'll have access to the sequel."
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/09/29/how-to-unlock-star-fox-2-on-the-snes-classic-mini

#1546 6 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

Woody24, I was on that same pre-order. Mine also said preparing for shipment until last night. It has now shipped and I have a fedex tracking number. I have to wait until next week to get it but it took me about a minute or two to process an order from the comfort of my home and I didn't have to stand it any lines at 10pm or 5am.

Well crap! Mine's still preparing, but I noticed that I paid with a card that's now been shut down because of the GD credit card skimmers. They only did a $1 hold and never charged for the full price. So I called up customer support to update my payment method, and they said they have no control over updating. Said the only option would be to cancel the order and reorder it. But would be no guarantee that I'd even have a shot at ordering one again.

SO Mother Effer.

#1548 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Targets had a ton today, I'm already hearing stories from friends who went all over and couldn't find one...

Stopped in about 1pm for my lunch to get other stuff, and overheard our Target sold out in 20 mins.

#1560 6 years ago

I think we've become more aware of framerate slowdown since PC gaming and the past few generations of consoles. I remember some games becoming slow, but never once thought about it.

Playing games like Sonic again when he loses all the coins is really noticeable today.

#1563 6 years ago

I love the slowdown in gradius iii. It's like the only way you can beat it haha. If you die and lose all your powerups the slowdown doesn't happen and you can't get thru certain areas unless you are flawless cause shit happens so fast

I think it was Ducktales for the NES, the only way I was able to beat one of the bosses was from using the "Slow-mo" feature on the NES joystick controller. It basicly just paused the game rapidly.

Edit. Found it. It was Mickey Mousecapade. Here's the level that I couldn't ever beat at full speed. Ah.. .Nostalgic times. That music is still burned in my head.

#1564 6 years ago

If anyone's doing the Raspberry Pi/RetroPie thing, the RetroFlag case is back in stock on Amazon. Bought two, and they are a dead ringer for the NES Classic. Slightly different in size, but only noticeable if you put them side by side. These cases have been selling out, and selling for $60 on ebay and Amazon from other sellers. Also seen people using a Magic Eraser to remove the NESPi, and putting on their own stickers.

http://amzn.to/2fGJjLQ

NEScase (resized).jpgNEScase (resized).jpg

1 month later
#1620 6 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

she hated dusting all the shelves.

*cough* Could have helped out *cough*

1 week later
#1641 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Went to target yesterday hoping to find a snes classic. Came home with this as a consolation prize. Pretty sweet system. Everything plays well and there's a good selection of games. I need to track down a paddle controller now...

I've seen those, and have really wanted to buy one, but the one thing that's holding me back are the buttons in place of the stick switches on the console. If it had real metal switches like the old one, I'd totally get one.

1 month later
#1676 6 years ago

I keep thinking about breaking out my old genesis. I still have mine in my closet. I was spoiled. Had the Genesis, Sega CD vs2, and 32X. Really wished I'd purchased a CDX back in the day when they were clearanced out. But never needed one.

I get my copy of Metroid Pinball today! Never heard of it until this thread. I've always had whatever Nintendo handheld was out, but mainly just bought the main Mario games, and then never played the system after I was tired of those.

#1682 6 years ago
Quoted from akm:

I can think of few digital pinball games that are better than Metroid Prime Pinball.

What else you got? I know of Kirby, Pokemon, Sonic Spinball, was there one or two other Sonic pinball games for the gameboys? Those are the ones I can think of right now.

1 week later
#1694 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Just picked up a Power Base Converter for my Genesis to be able to play Sega Master System games. Never had a Sega in the day. Anyone have any recommendations for games I should pick up?

NBA Jam. Mortal Kombat. Street Fighter 2. General Chaos.

6 months later
#1766 5 years ago

Surprised that ebay hasn't shut down those selling roms. In any case, I just bought a micro sd card for the Raspberry pi retro pie that's fully loaded with roms. The only thing I was missing was arcade games. This should include around 2000 of them, plus all the games for the other consoles that I never bothered with, like Neo Geo and Atari.

Also, I ordered a second Sega 6-button Arcade Stick to modify into a bluetooth controller. I loved that controller for the Genesis. Now I'll be able to play arcade games in a more realistic way.

And I agree. The card I got was $69 total. It's 128gb. So really, $35 for the card, and $35 to never have to go searching for roms again and get disappointed when they don't work with the RPi.

3 weeks later
#1768 5 years ago

Welp. Here's Sony's first version. https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09/18/introducing-playstation-classic-with-20-pre-loaded-games/

Unless it comes with Gran Turismo 1 & 2, and Metal Gear Solid, I'm not interested. Okay. I am. Already pre-ordered.

But I will say, I HATED FF7. It was so frustrating just walking along and BOOM, fight! Hated that they never showed any enemy's walking in the world. I thought it was a bug when I first started playing. It was also the first FF game I've ever played.

#1772 5 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

For $100, it should include the charger.

*AC adaptor sold separately

Oh yeah, that's dumb. There's going to be A LOT of upset people because they're using the old charger that came with whatever they bought and had been stuck in a junk drawer for years, and don't realize how under powered it is.

#1779 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's powered by USB, just like the NES and SNES minis. Most people can plug the USB right into their TV or AV Receiver for power...or an iPhone USB plug. It's a non-issue.

Only, if it can't produce enough power, it causes issues, just like the Raspberry Pi needs a good USB power supply. Use a cheap one, and the thing will lock up. I'm going to guess, this will be no different. It's not like charging a battery, where it will still charge but just take longer.

#1783 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

You don’t. But sony will happily sell you DualShock ones later on.
If the controller plug is the same, then I might have to go digging in some boxes to see if I still have a wired controller.

I think it looked like a USB port for the controllers. Or at least a smaller proprietary one.

The thing about the old vs new was purely weight. Hardly any games took advantage of the dual joysticks. And the added weight of the rumble made them feel more durable.

I got my PSX right when the dual joysticks came out. So the one that came with the system didn't have rumble, and the extra controller I bought later did. I hated using the one without rumble. It just felt cheap.

And while I'm on a nostalgic trip, I wish I had my old system back. I bought it in '98 I think. I modded it up. I replaced the case with a transparent blue one, which means somewhere back at my parents place, I still have the original grey case almost like new in a box somewhere. And I also added a mod chip to be able to play copied games. Even official Japan imports. The game store I sold the system to were stoked when they were able to play one of their import games on it.

I used to go to all the Family video's, sign up for a new account, and for 30 days, you got like half off your rentals. I had a couple binders full of games for the system. And just a couple years ago, I decided to toss them all. Kinda wish I hadn't done that either. I even had Thrill Kill. The game never released.

ps1 (resized).jpgps1 (resized).jpg

#1787 5 years ago

So after yesterday announcement of the PS Classic, I've been bitten by the PSX bug. Played a few games on the Raspberry Pi, and went shopping at the local used game store.

And I must say, the PS1 times, that was a pretty bad transitional time. Where the system had enough power to render polygons and, and EVERYTHING had to be THREEEEE-DEEEEEEE. Then they used poor (by todays standards) CGI models on the covers and promo material.

It was like the teenage transition years. Pimples, BO smell, and changing voices..... And I want to re-live it all over again.

#1788 5 years ago

While I've been looking at PS1 systems, I've been looking at PS2 systems. I had one of the fat models. Sold it a few years ago and thinking about picking up a new one again too. Looking to mod it as well. Never did that to my original one. Forgot they also had the slim model. Would that be worth getting, or stick with the fat? Did they strip out power kinda like they did with the PS3 Slim?

Dang. After each new system, I couldn't drop the old one fast enough. Guess it's true, what goes around comes around.

Haven't sold my PS3 or 360 yet because of this. I'd learned my lesson by then.

#1790 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I was huge in the ps2 scene but it’s been years!
The ps2 slim should accept a usb hdd so you should be fine however I would verify. The fat ps2 is Nice because it’s classic with internal hdd. However it’s huge compared to the slim.....

Yeah, forgot how small the slim was until I saw it in the store today. I remember getting the hard drive & FF, but don't remember really using the drive. Also remember getting the Ethernet adapter and never really using it either. Not much took advance of both of them.

#1796 5 years ago

Picked up a PSOne for $20. Mod chip for $7. Just installed it and tested it, and now I can play all the PSX games. Got the addon screen too. And I will say, PSX games look much better when they're smaller.

Really cool thing about this PSOne, looks like it was rarely used. Which is probably true for most all PSOnes since they came out right when the PS2 was out.

2018-09-25 13.24.29 (resized).jpg2018-09-25 13.24.29 (resized).jpg

#1798 5 years ago

i remember missing out on launch ps2's and bought a psOne over the holidays on the way to my grandmas house for Christmas break and when i got there was able to get a ps2 at the mall and returned the psOne hah.

I worked in the electronic department of KMart when the PS2 was launched. Never did get one myself until a few months after it was out. But I always felt special when we got a shipment in. I'd carry those rich blue boxes up to the case from the back and stick them right next to the PSOnes. Those PS1's sat and sat and sat. Finally they went on clearance. $40 for the combo box with LCD. I was so tempted to buy one, but was in college, just bought the PS2, and knew I'd never play another PS1 game ever again. Hah.

#1805 5 years ago

I'm going through my house and trying to create Ebay, Craigslist, Yard Sale, Goodwill, and trash piles. I've hit a road block with my old PC games. Old as in late 90's, early 2000's. Pre-Steam.

Is there any value in them, or should they just go to the trash. Original boxes for majority.

#1812 5 years ago

Most of my old games with the big boxes are at my parents house. Which, I guess who knows if they threw them away or not.

Seems like the ones I have here with me are small boxes. One of them is The Orange Box. I remember getting that and being pissed that I had to sign up for a service just to download the game I just bought on Disc. But then over the years, I've come to love it. But I even have games that I don't even know why I bought in physical form. Like Battlefield 4. Clearly that one was obviously going to be a download only game.

#1813 5 years ago

And I just mod-chipped a PS2 Slim...in 2018. Heck it's nearly 2019.

Back when the PS1 was out, I had no problem modding it. Only 6 wires and large pads to solder to. Then when the PS2 came out, I was planning on modding it. But then saw it was like 25 wires, and they were TINY solder points. I wasn't about to risk that.

Now, 16 years after buying my first PS2, I've decided I'm more than capable enough to tackle it. Although, I did start off thinking I was going to do the whole short wire, OCD clean install. I just don't have the patients for that.

Kind of a fun project. I enjoy doing stuff like that. Just like working on a pinball machine.

And how someone figured out how to do this in the first place is just mind blowing.

2018-10-03 15.27.19 (resized).jpg2018-10-03 15.27.19 (resized).jpg

#1817 5 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

Woody - I thought you could soft mod a PS2 by now - what's the benefit to hard modding with a chip?
Ben - I'm always impressed when I pop in my old Master System carts and see the battery chugging along. Then I look at my saves and immediately get embarrassed by what I named the hero of the RPG in question.

More fun. Sence of accomplishment. Makes me feel like a hacker.

As far as batteries in games, I've been wanting to pull out my nes and zelda game and continue where I left off 30 years ago.

#1819 5 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I’m using this (link below)to stream PS2 ISOs and it’s a pretty sweet setup. A lot of the programs existed but this guy stitched them together and added usb HDD support. So basically, I have a 2TB HDD loaded with PS2 iSOs and I’m srteaming them to the PS2 over the network connection and the pi is using a version of SMB share as the game server to feed the PS2. That’s the layman’s version, I was just walked through it. It’s a real cool setup and the PS2 powers the pi through the USB port.
https://github.com/toolboc/psx-pi-smbshare#forwarding-active-ftp-session-to-a-connected-device

I'll have to look into that. Been day dreaming of all the old ps2 games I can now play again or for the first time.

2 weeks later
#1836 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I'm at the PRGE this weekend, and the keynote is about a new Intellivision coming...
The main "revolution" about it is the concept of the game software and giving it general/family appeal. He has licenses for many of the Intellivision titles and will revise them too. We got to see the first showing of the promotional video, which will be public on Monday. Some odd things about it, like he apparently liked the original controllers and kept the disc, although it also has motion control. Also, near the end... coming 2020? What's with all the hoopla reveal now? I thought it was imminent, that was a real let down. Also seems dumb to reveal all your plans and concepts to possible competition. Still an interesting curiosity to keep an eye on.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/10/21/intellivision-reveals-their-amico-console-at-portland-retro-gaming-expo/
https://liliputing.com/2018/10/he-new-intellivision-amico-retro-style-game-console-on-the-way-for-under-180.html

This thing already looks dead. My guess is that this will be scrapped within the next year.

2 weeks later
#1862 5 years ago

$100 pickup today! Been wanting one for a while, but couldn't justify the $300+ these things bring. This lady had it up on OfferUp for $500 last week and $100 this week. Said she had lists of interest in it and full price offers, but no one showed up to pick it up. So she priced it to sell. Luckily I pulled up OfferUp 10 minutes after she posted it. She said her phone was blowing up.

*edit. And wait. Did I also get a rare game? Came with Pirates Gold and Streets of Rage 1. I didn't really care about the games since I already had SoR, but wasn't familiar with Pirates. Looking online, doesn't seem those are going for $2.

20181106_121408 (resized).jpg20181106_121408 (resized).jpg

#1865 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

no sewer shark or night trap?

I've already got them. Still have my 30+ games for the Genesis, 32x, and CD from the 90s.

#1868 5 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Very nice. I'd love one of these to recover some shelf real estate and nix one power brick from the mess of wires I have. I just can't bring myself to shell out the money they're commanding when my Gennesis1/Sega CD model 1 works so great. Plus it looks amazing sitting on the shelf as well.

I remember having the whole mess of wires. I had and still have my 1st gen Genesis, 32x, and 2nd gen Sega CD. Really wish I had the 1st gen CD. Those were cool looking.

#1869 5 years ago

I dont understand how every single second hand console and controller has SOOOOO much grime on and in them. People. Wash your hands.

Taken apart both the controller and CDX and given them a bath. They're going to look as good as new. No major or minor scratches on them. Just looked like the system had been in a crud storm. Even the inside of the lid was disgusting.

Also ordered a new laser. Pre-test before taking it apart seemed that it was pretty spotty at reading the disc.

20181106_210747 (resized).jpg20181106_210747 (resized).jpg
#1873 5 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

If you’ve gone that far, re-cap it while it’s apart and you’ll never have to worry about it again.

I came back here just to ask that. I came across someone who'd done that, and found a kit to replace them. I know with pinball sound boards need to be recapped, but was curious what all they effect here. Sound was working from the standard bootup music for the CD. But I'm not entirely sure the cartridge portion is working. I didn't plug it into a TV yet, so not sure what, if anything is on the screen, but I couldn't get any sounds from trying to play a cartridge game.

But this was exactly my thoughts. Already torn apart. New Laser on the way. May as well rebuild everything while I'm at it.

1 week later
#1901 5 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

So I picked up the NES and SNES Classic and loaded them with my favorites. My favorite aspect of the systems is playing with the original controller and not clunky 3rd party crap.
So now that I’m good with Nintendo, I’ve been exploring a Sega version. The ATGames versions are garbage, so I decided to build my own with the Genesis USB hub from NerdBlock.
The raspberry pi fits perfectly, so my plan is to make my own Genesis console complete with the original controller. Tons of tutorials out there, so it shouldn’t be too cosmic. [quoted image][quoted image]

Dang. Thought that maybe these were starting to become more available. Looks like they're still around $60. But looks like Retroflag is coming out with one soon.

#1911 5 years ago

I need some help. Anyone good with troubleshooting electronic issues with vague descriptions about 90's gaming hardware?

I've replaced the capacitors on my Sega CDX. Everything went relatively well, except for one issue right now. The CD doesn't spin. The CD did spin before I started replacing capacitors, so it's my issue.

I went one by one making sure the solder joints are all good and nothing appears to be causing a short.

The Laser tray moves and the lens moves too. When I turn on the power, the CD hub slightly shakes, so I know it has power. It's just not receiving the data to tell it to spin.

Now there was one issue I ran into when removing an old capacitor. I accidentally removed a pad while pulling it out. But this wasn't a normal solder pad for one leg of the capacitor, it was shared by Pin 1 of a chip. So the positive pole of the capacitor was directly soldered to Pin1 of a chip. I search for any traces leading away from that pad, and I saw nothing. Held it up to the light and could see where all the other pins on the chip go, but did not see anywhere where this should have gone. So my thought was that the only bridge was between the capacitor and Pin 1.

That may be my issue, it may not. I have no idea how to test. I've tried continuity tests, and haven't figured anything out.

So my question is, does anyone know how to track this down, or at least figure out which part of the board handles the spinning action of the CD?

More searching and testing

Saw others having same issue. Comments said to clean the laser lens. I've done that, and still nothing. But they said that if it can't see a disc, it won't spin. I have noticed that my lens doesn't shine a laser. So maybe this issue is with the laser not being able to turn on. The laser did work before, so I know it didn't go bad. It still has to do with something I've done.

I've tested, and all the connections to the ribbon are good for the laser. There are 4 connections to the laser. I tested each one individually. With JUST the ribbon connected, the laser does move up and down. But no red dot is seen. The power cable to move the sled back and forth works. The power cable to spin the CD I assume works, since it shakes a little when powering up. And there's a 3rd power cable that I'm not sure what it does. It goes just underneath the CD spinner hub, but can't tell what it would power up. So no idea if that works.

Edit 2

And looks like I got a bad laser. I ordered a replacement and swapped it out. I figured it would have been good. Put the old one back in, and the disc spins. But doesn't read discs very well. I've tried messing it the POTs and cannot make it perfect. So as of right now, it doesn't seem the capacitors was the issue of the Laser not reading discs, or a slipup of installing new ones.

Contacting ebay seller to see about getting a replacement.

1 week later
#1924 5 years ago

I canceled my pre-order. I kinda wanted it for a shelf display, but need to save money instead. I'll wait and see if these go to the clearance section next year.

#1929 5 years ago

I would be curious to see what someone comes up with in hacking this. Wonder how much storage they put in it? Just enough to hold only the games they put on it? Or more? And if it is limited, can it be expanded?

#1933 5 years ago

Other reason I canceled my pre-order is because I actually had no intention in playing it, even if someone were to hack it. The Raspberry Pi plays the games perfectly fine. I've been "collecting" all the games I've wanted from the PSX and putting them on my Pi.

I was actually really surprised that the games even play since N64 ones are terrible on the Pi.

So it appears that the it's probably the same emulator on the Retro Pie and PSX Classic? If that's the case, that's a big selling point for RPi.

1 week later
#1954 5 years ago

"You'a sh!t taco..." LOL What? 0:25

Remember when the original MK came out and parents were all up in arms about how violent and bloody it was? I guess today's parents are the kids who grew up with the original MK.

1 month later
#2016 5 years ago

damn thats dope.
my buddy had like 10 display cases for nes games from like kmart that his ex wife threw away... the vertical ones that you could shuffle thru that held like 10 games or so. real bummer

HA. I was thinking about those things the other day, wondering if they were ever saved, or if they all pretty much got tossed. Who knows how much time I spent flipping through those.

2 months later
#2043 4 years ago

I skimmed it with the sound off. I think I'm probably glad I did judging by jean vests excitement.

A few of those shelves took me back to working in Kmarts electronic section. Got those game boxes and game guides burned in my head. Every so often, I'll take a photo of the game section in WalMart or Target, because I always wish I had photos of how things used to look during the NES and Genesis years.

#2047 4 years ago

Anybody know anything about oscilloscopes? I bought a cheap one from Gearbest to see if I can fix my SegaCDX, and I'm having no luck at all.

No idea where to connect the cables, and no idea what to look for on the scope.

Having a heck of a time with the CDX. I replaced the capacitors, but still didn't give me a working system. I replaced the Laser, and still nothing. So I started playing with the pots, and I have gotten about 40% successful, but can never get it to play fine. I can get it to play a game, but will always freeze and search and give up. Same with audio CD's. It may play a song fine, but skip to the next one, it will search and quit.

#2050 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

If you just got a scope and you don't know anything about it, this is probably one of the better tutorials. It is very long though. Nonetheless, I learned a ton from this and it was worth the time for me.

My oscilloscope that looks cool as hell but I barely know how to use
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Thanks. Will take a look later.

This is the one I got. Was hoping it had just enough use to get the job done as I've never really had the need for one.
https://www.gearbest.com/testers-detectors/pp_009299614336.html?wid=1433363

3 weeks later
#2052 4 years ago

It's that time of year again, where I become obsessed with retro gaming. Got the parts all ready to build a 4th Gameboy Zero, this time with the CM3 Pi board. Also just ordered a BittBoy v3. Was cheap enough to see how well it plays. And if it's terrible, I'm not out a whole lot.

Also just got an GBA SP. Used to have one, then sold it. Now I'm wondering if I had the one with the backlit display, because I don't remember the game looking this bad. But I doubt I did, I got it a year or so after it was released. Now I'm obsessed with finding GBA games. Just ordered a bunch, mainly the pinball ones right now. Will have to swing by the used game stores this weekend to see what I can find.

#2054 4 years ago

love the GBA! lots of great games on there!

I think I like them more now than when I used to have one. I was always disappointed by the games because I wanted real Tony Hawk, or a real driving game. The games I liked on the consoles didn't translate to the GBA. Now I'm going back and finding the games that I should have been playing.

#2058 4 years ago

Sonic Spinball was probably my favorite game for the Genesis. Or what I ended up playing the most probably. Love it, but was sorta disappointed with the theme of it. Wished it wasn't set in a sewer.

#2060 4 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

Lol i finally found one with the good screen.
Gonna throw it in my nes gba. Took me forever to find each one in the wild.
But my god the old screen is pretty bad

I did have the very first GBA in that translucent pinkish color. And remember that screen being terrible to see. But loved the SP as it folded up to protect the screen, but really have no memory of the screen being good or bad. May have just been the best at that time, and wasn't used to how screens are today. HA!

But man, I am super kicking myself for not buying all the Gameboy Micros at Walmart for $25 each. I even remember thinking at that time, "What am I going to do with just one? It's already obsolete, the DS has been out for a couple years and it plays GBA games." Seeing them for $300+ on ebay makes me sick. If only I bought two, opened one up and stuck the other one away. Oh well. It's just like the stock market. You never know.

#2061 4 years ago

Oh. also saw that RetroFlag is making a GB style case. Looks super cool and simple. Just add your own Raspberry Pi Zero. No soldering required. Just too bad they went with AA batteries for some reason.

http://retroflag.com/GPi-CASE.html

#2064 4 years ago

Thank goodness for the Konami code. I would have probably destroyed the console if it was only 3 lives.

Also, I SWEAR that there was a code for 99 lives with the original Contra for the NES. Couple years ago I tried to find information on it, and came up with nothing. Then I thought I saw that it was a 2-step process, and the code had to be entered twice really quickly the second time at a certain point.

I never had the game, I always played it at a friends, and we used to be able to beat the game 2 or three times on the number of lives given. Once you beat the game, you can continue with the lives left over.

#2066 4 years ago

i think it just gives you 30 lives in Contra, not 99.

That's what I've found out when trying to find info on 99 lives. My memory is pretty good though. I can remember some conversations vividly from way back when I was 2. So it's surprising if I'm remembering 99 lives differently. Maybe it was a different game and I have them mixed up?

#2067 4 years ago

THIS is what I remember. Look in his description. Says the code has to be entered again before the jungle scene. This is what I remember doing. It has to be entered quick. I remember we restarted the NES if we didn't get it in in time. (May have to go to Youtube page to see description.)

#2071 4 years ago
Quoted from akm:

Perhaps your memory isn't as good as you thought.
It's only 30, though I'm sure you would be able to go higher with something like a Game Genie.

No Game Genie used. I know that for sure. I never had one, and none of my friends did either.

I've been looking around, and have found a couple people posting similar stuff, and all pretty much say it was a second step. I tried a few things on my RetroPie setup the other day without any success. I still maintain I'm 99% certain it's real. I will find it.

#2075 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Sure you aren't thinking of the 99 life trick in Super Mario Bros with thr turtle shell?

Ha. I forgot about that. Probably not though as I never had the patients to wait that long. I know it wasn't long, but still.

#2082 4 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Saw this on twitter:
[quoted image]
#SEGAMegaDriveMini

They couldn't have put them in alphabetical order?

1 week later
#2090 4 years ago

Saw last night the History Channel showed a preview of a show that's going to go over the history of video games. Looks interesting. Sorry, don't remember the details right now. Was going to look it up later to mark it for my DVR.

#2093 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Pretty decent show. A bit dry but it was a good review. I didn’t learn much new as most of that has been covered in various ways before, but still enjoyed it. All the interviews with the real players makes it good.

I missed it last night. But did set Sling to record it. Will have to check it out tonight.

3 weeks later
#2102 4 years ago
Quoted from andyharsh:

Decided to put my Complete Licensed NES collection out for sale in my Retro Game store this Friday. Going to miss it in my personal collection, but the plan is to replace the games we sell (by putting up trade bounties and stuff like that) and always carry every title as we go, so hopefully the collection will stay together. It'll be fun just seeing the average persons reaction seeing all this in the store for once, instead of it being hidden on my office's shelves [quoted image][quoted image]

How did the employees of Kmart act when you brought in a dolly cart and just took the display full of games right out the front door in 1989?

That's an impressive collection.

1 month later
#2110 4 years ago

My recent retro gaming find was a crt on the side of the road in a rich neighborhood. I picked up a Sony Trinitron KV-27FV310.

How much did you pay for it? I have a 24 or 25 inch one of those. Couple months ago my mom said they had 8 CRT TV's that we'd all had at one point, down in the basement that they were going to go dump at a place. I said hold onto the Sony one, it might be worth something. The 19in RCA can go. ha.

#2114 4 years ago

Luckily I got it for free. The problem with all crt’s is that 95% of the population thinks that they’re worthless. So most crt TVs get tossed to the curb. The 5% of the population whom realizes that these are valuable pieces of history, unfortunately have no way to source them. I found this by fluke.

Ha. I missed the "side of the road" part. Or maybe I just assume that meant yard sale. ha.

I tried to list mine on Offer up a couple months ago. I only go one response from a jackass who tried to tell me that I was an idiot for asking what I was. I told him to look up the prices and find one cheaper. He then told me that "I guess I should have searched for 'free'." To which I said he could have my 19in rca for free. Guess he wasn't looking that hard. Never responded. Just being a dick.

1 week later
#2118 4 years ago

Decided to play Rise of the Dragon on the Sega CD. Still have this game from back in the day, and I remember not getting very far in it, and I see why now. The game is damn hard and too linear, and possibly buggy? Even while following a walk-through, I still couldn't beat the game.

I tried to play it as if I was playing it for the first time. Didn't look anything up at first, but then was stuck. Then realized I made a wrong choice in a conversation early on, and after you do that, you cannot progress. So I started over again. Then I get to another stuck point. Look up the walkthrough, and realize I'm again stuck because of a bad choice. So I start once more, and follow the guide more closely, then I run out of time and the game ends.

Frustrating. I love a game like this and was really looking forward to finally beating it after 25+ years, but looks like that'll have to be a little longer of a wait. I'm done with it for a while.

#2126 4 years ago

Isn't this what got Atari in trouble and was part of their downfall?

And while I'm sure they'll be quality some quality games, I can't help but think of those "mutli-cade" devices of 5-10 years ago where all the games were just cheaply made port ripoffs of other games.

Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 11.17.29 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-08-21 at 11.17.29 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-08-21 at 11.17.35 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-08-21 at 11.17.35 AM (resized).png
1 month later
#2139 4 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I got a mini Genesis recently too![quoted image]

Got one of those last year. Had a heck of a time getting the laser working again. After replacing all Caps. Bought three replacement laser, and still no go. Then tried to adjust the POTS, and while I can get close, it's never perfect. But if I power off and try playing the disc again, it doesn't work until I mess with the pots again.

I bought a cheap oscilloscope hoping I could figure it out, but haven't and is still sitting in pieces. I want it to be 100% functional again, but at this point, I may just settle for a display piece.

#2140 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiis is a mini Genesis.....[quoted image][quoted image]

i SUPER hope they release the stack in the states. Guess US-based Youtubers are getting Genesis branded versions, but Japan is the only place selling them.

4 weeks later
#2154 4 years ago

I know a while back I mentioned I had a bunch of PC games and wondered if they were worth anything or if I should just pitch them. A couple of you expressed some interest.

Heres the ones I've got sorted out complete with discs and boxes. I have more that I still need to find the boxes for.

Take a look and anyone is interested, make me an offer in private message. Include shipping costs. Looking to get rid of, but not looking to lose money.

About 90% of these are pretty close to mint. Pristine discs and boxes. Also as far as I'm aware, these are 100% complete. I never threw anything away and I usually never kept things separated. So that means code is in there.
20191027_125623 (resized).jpg20191027_125623 (resized).jpg

#2156 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

what do you want for the command &amp; conquer the first decade game? that would be fun to revisit after all these years

How's $7.50? $5 for game, estimating $2.50 for shipping.

Looks like most are asking $10 on ebay.

1 week later
#2161 4 years ago

Broke out my original Xbox this weekend. I actually re-discovred it this summer in my garage. I was pretty sure I sold it at a yard sale about 10 years ago. Guess no one wanted it.

So doing some looking to see about upgrading the hard drive and installing a bunch of XB roms to it, I read about the crappy capacitor.

I took mine apart. And first thing I noticed was, damn, I must not have played this much at all. It was spotless inside. No dust anywhere. Looked brand new.

And two, the capacitor had leaked. I cleaned up the acid, and in the process, I knocked off 4 surface mount resistors around it. I tried to resolder them back on using newly scraped areas to solder to, but still couldn't get it to stick. Also lost one resistor. The thing went flying somewhere after I tried to pick it up with tweezers. So I never was able to get any of them back on.

So I just planned for the system to be DOA. Hadn't played it for years, so wasn't a terrible loss. I plugged it in and it booted right up. Played Riddick for a good solid hour last night with no issues. Sweet!

So I guess those resistors were directly involved with the clock capacitor.

2 months later
#2179 4 years ago

I picked up Resident Evil 2 for the PS4 last week since it was back on sale for $25. I knew I had to get it at some point. Missed out on the $15 black friday sale because I put it on my Santa list.

But RE2 was the very first PS1 game I purchased. Loving this remake. I may have to end up getting the RE3 when it come out in a few month even though RE2 was the only RE game I've ever played until RE7 in VR.

But with the nostalgia, I went ahead and bought the PS1 version of RE2 again. And man, those games have held their value. But made me start thinking. Seems like a lot of the killer games on the PS1 were in those double jewel cases. RE2, Metal Gear, FF7, Gran Turismo. So now I may need to start collecting those.

#2182 4 years ago

Rumor is that the PS5 will have full backwards compatibility, that will make some old CD games popular again. Get them now before the price goes up

I'd be surprised if it is fully backwards compatible. They've confirmed PS4. I'd love to see it, but I would expect the cost to develop and build would be higher than the amount of people who'd truly make use of it. I was super sad when my PS3 Fat died. I fixed it twice, but it was getting old having to open it up and heat back up. But eventually gave in and bought a Slim because I wasn't really playing any PS2 or 1 games. But now I wished I had a good working Fat back.

#2189 4 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Just picked up this 5200 lot off of FB marketplace. It's my first time playing a 5200. I have to say, it's not a bad console, despite some of the horror stories I've heard. The controllers are hot garbage, though. Some games are almost unplayable because of the horrible analog stick.[quoted image]

dang. looks clean. labels look crisp.

I don't really understand why everyone insisted on playing their games out in the sandbox while it was raining, after burying their GI Joes in the mud. Maybe I was the only one who didn't?

#2202 4 years ago
Quoted from BradKreisler:

A remake will ensure everyone will get one and the ones on eBay will become more reasonably priced.
Thanks
http://chng.it/7SJMXhgsYd

Whats the normal rate for these?

#2203 4 years ago

Anyone have an idea where to find the service manual for the SEGA CDX? Did a little searching online last night, and found all the other Sega manuals, just not that one.

2 months later
#2238 4 years ago

There used to be a PC Pinball game that came with an actual pin ball. I wanted that game so badly because of that ball, but never got it. LOL. Now I have jars of pinballs.

#2241 4 years ago

Our pinball buddy benheck just worked on another rare video game console. This time he got a nintendo M82 working again. It’s a pretty cool piece of tech.
Another great video Ben, thanks for making it.

Remember seeing those in the store thinking, "How can I get one of those?"

3 weeks later
#2246 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

I've been working on finishing the basement of our new house. The gaming/home theater section is just about done. Dude lair 2.0, phase 1 is complete...
[quoted image]

That reminds me. I completely have no idea what happened to my old PowerGlove. I was pretty sure I knew exactly where it was back in my old room back home. Few years ago I went to grab it, and the only thing I found was the sensor bar.

1 month later
#2256 3 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Anybody grab a micro Sega Game Gear yet?
https://60th.sega.com/ggmicro/[quoted image]

Waiting for them to hopefully release in states.

Still waiting for the US version of the Genesis stack. Not sure why they never released it.

#2264 3 years ago

Command & Conquer remake on Steam! Brings back old memories. Also includes the first Red Alert.

#2269 3 years ago

Playing C&C almost all day yesterday, is there was a similar type of game that's still being made? Haven't really played any of these games since Westwood was shut down.

I just like the base-building and attack preperation aspect of it. I tried to play some of the older C&C games a couple years ago, and just couldn't stand it since they weren't meant for modern monitors.

#2272 3 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I’ll never forget buying Streets of Rage 2 with my friend back in the day. I think it was 60 bucks when it came out. I still have my original copy.

I tried to beat Streets of Rage 2 on my Gameboy Zero, and just couldn't do it. Even with max lives and continues. I got close I think.

I loved Beat'em ups growing up. It's what I mostly played in the arcade. But for whatever reason, I didn't own a single one for the Genesis. I have no idea why. I was always super bummed that Final Fight never came out for the Genesis, and never could find it once I got my Sega CD. But I'm slapping my head for never getting TMNT, Street's of Rage, or any other ones. So now with the retro console, I'm going back through and playing what I should have.

#2278 3 years ago

Yes they do
[quoted image]

Still refused to get the Playstation?

#2292 3 years ago

I picked up my crt at the side of the road in a nice neighborhood, just saw it, knew it was better then my current rca, and grabbed it. After getting home I did some research and some people think this is the best consumer grade tv for retro gaming. If you can find one, it will be much cheaper then a Pvm. The easy way to spot this tv out of the crowd is the blue bezel around the screen.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I have a 24in Sony Trinitron I need to get rid of.

#2303 3 years ago
Quoted from Yokimato:

plus 10 unlicensed (never cared for these personally),

Is RBI Baseball one of those? I had that one and know it was the odd looking cart. I don't see that one the shelf, so I assume you're keeping those separated? Ha

#2305 3 years ago
Quoted from Yokimato:

Still enjoy the simplicity of those games over the simulation stuff released today, but perhaps more of a sign that I'm getting old more than anything.

Same. They were easier and more enjoyable to play. I haven't been able to play any of the football games since like the PS2. And really, I don't think I've played a baseball game since like Triple Play 2000 on the PS1.

#2312 3 years ago
Quoted from misterman:

I have this in my closet, think it's unplayed.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice! I'm sure those are kinda rare anyways, right? I don't remember them being being out for too long. And remember a friend of mine got one and remember thinking, "you didn't have a Nintendo already?"

#2313 3 years ago

One Nintendo thing I always wanted was the ROB. I still kinda want one just to have on my shelf.

#2334 3 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I'm cleaning today and came across these old ps1 pinball games. Now I just have to find my ps2 and try them out again.
[quoted image]

Or if you have any version of the PS3, I think they'll work too. For some reason I thought only the select first gen one did. But turned out, I guess the only thing it offered was PS2 support. Later I knew they dropped backwards compatibility, but thought it was for both PS1 & 2. Guess is was just for PS2.

3 weeks later
#2359 3 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Went for a drive down some back roads and found a yard sale. Not sure if we're allowed garage sales yet but stopped anyway. Glad I did. Scored a dsi with charger for $2
And it works

Nice. Garage sales are awesome. If only I knew how collectible things were going to be. Back around 2005-ish I could have bought a NES system with about 30 games for $20, and I know I remember seeing the gold zelda cart, but don't remember much else.

#2366 3 years ago

Still laughing at the Atari VCS. Nearly $400 for something already outdated. Also: "This is the last chance to purchase Atari VCS products at reduced early-adopter prices. Offers valid through July 31, 2020."

I think I'll wait to be a late adopter when it goes to the $50 clearance aisle.

I get that they're banking on nostalgia, but I just don't see the value in it. At least at the current price.

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 12.03.43 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-07-13 at 12.03.43 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-07-13 at 12.04.26 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-07-13 at 12.04.26 PM (resized).png

#2370 3 years ago

I see the new Atari just like the Ouya. That thing flopped so hard. I was actually intrigued by it at first. To be able to play Android games on the TV. But then there just weren't any Android games that were worth playing on the TV.

One of the statements from the owner was that they planned on releasing a new version of the console every year. I felt that was kinda stupid to say. Not just because it did so poorly, but because why become an early adopter when there may be a better version soon after.

Also, remember the Phantom? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_Entertainment Also, completely forgot what it was going to look like. Looks like the PS5.

1 month later
#2395 3 years ago

Here is my original NES from when I was 8. My 39 year old self kinda hates that I did this, but also, I cant bring myself to clean off the system because this is how it always looked to me.

20200820_161746 (resized).jpg20200820_161746 (resized).jpg
#2397 3 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

Big fan of the Liberty Bell as a kid? Is that your original Gyromite? I didn't know anybody who had ROB. And if those are your original boxes, I'm definitely impressed. I didn't keep a single box.

Pretty sure the Liberty Bell was junkmail and since it was a sticker, it went on the console for some reason. It's funny, I really never noticed any of this growing up. Now I'm like, what the hell?

The Gyromite I picked up for $5 last year at Half Priced Books. Only the game, no ROB. Never seen the game nor ROB in person, but I always wanted a ROB.

The boxes are my original boxes. I have many more too. I kept most of them. The one I couldn't find that I'm really disappointed in is the original Zelda box. But I have my fingers crossed that it's in the Nintendo Console box, and double fingers crossed, we still have that box in storage back at my home somewhere. They should all be pretty much pristine! I had a box that I stuck my game boxes in and never touched them once they were opened.

Also, you can see the Power Glove sensor in the photo. I still don't have any idea where the glove went. It's probably also in storage back home. My mom had had an office building back home and the upstairs became the "storage locker." But she's selling the business this year, so all that's going to come out. Really looking forward to seeing my TMNT, Transformers, GI Joes, and hopefully the rest of my Nintendo stuff again!

2 weeks later
#2402 3 years ago

Were the Game and Watches very popular here in the States? I was never aware of them until the games started coming out on the Gameboy Advance. So with this color scheme, it's not a Must Purchase for me. But I know I'll eventually want one when they're all sold out and going for $150+ on ebay. ha.

2 months later
#2429 3 years ago

Saw it in stock on Amazon and ordered it. Comes today. But yeah, it'll probably stay in the box. Side note, one thing I need to do is go watch some video's of some of those old Nintendo games. I don't know that I've ever seen the ending of most of them, including all 3 Mario's.

#2432 3 years ago

Was funny, I kinda felt the same way. Well, I still don't really watch others play games, but discovered PewDiPie that way. Alien Isolation had been out for a while and I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy the game or not. So I looked up to see what the gameplay was like and came across him. Was the very first time I'd seen him before. Then shortly after that was the episodes (I think 3) of South Park making fun of people who'd rather watch others play, than play themselves.

#2445 3 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

The desktop arcade is growing.
I hate missing out on the Centipede and Tempest.
[quoted image]

This may be a long shot, but check your local Bestbuy. Seems like every time I was in there, they've always had a Centipede. But again, I really haven't been inside a Bestbuy since spring.

#2449 3 years ago

dang. Had no idea they wee going for so much on ebay. I've got Tempest, Centipede, and SFII. Absolutly hate Dragons Lair as a game, but now I may have to reconsider. Was looking forward to 1942.

#2461 3 years ago
Quoted from akm:

Sega CD spines make me weep...
Love that shit.

Yeah.. Robo Aleste and Silpheed = Great stuff, at least for the era. The stuff might at least make you appreciate "CD gaming" for the time. Especially if you have a disc-only Sewer Shark (easy to find). Great acting (at least, the actors looked like they loved what they are doing), somewhat action-oriented gameplay, and more. Sort of gives you an idea what the FMV thing was going for, originally.
Silpheed is great on its own. It's a straightforward shoot 'em up, but it does an amazing job of balancing the Genesis, Sega CD, and CD-internal hardware. It's got constantly-shifting backrounds, with actual polygons layered on top (your ship and enemies). Super cool stuff. You really don't see this anywhere else at the time.

Still got all my original SegaCD games. But yeah, there's just something about them. I remember getting excited once they were discontinued and started finding them in the clearance aisle of Kmart. I picked up several for $2 each. Including Ecco, NBA Jam, and Sonic CD.

#2464 3 years ago

I actually played this one too much. HA. Once you got through all the tasks or whatever you did in the game, you got to implode a building.

1 week later
#2480 3 years ago

The one game I'd always wanted and never was able to find, was Ground Zero Texas. Few years ago when I set up my RetroPie, I played it. And man, I'm sure I would have loved it much more back in the day. I couldn't stand playing it. hah.

#2487 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Wow I had no idea these existed.
I had a few e-reader cards which I wish I still had. I never toss anything video game related but must have tossed those cards. At least i still have the reader and the GBA link cable. [quoted image]

Completely forgot about the reader. For some reason, I feel like I've never owned it, but I feel like I've used it before. The cards were so worn, it was like trying to shove a noodle through the reader.

1 week later
#2531 3 years ago

If you were to recomend an old school adventure game (NES, SNES, Genesis) for someone who's never actually played one, what would you recommend?

Zelda is the most adventure game I've played from that era. Talking like Final Fantacy type.

#2533 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Turn-based RPG (like Final Fantasy)
1. Earthbound - It's one of my favorites of all time. I was lucky enough to get the full game NIB when I was a kid, and kept it in good condition all these years. It's included on the SNES classic, and it will probably be on the SNES app on the Switch at some point if it's not already. It's a little more accessible than most of the JRPGs, and it's grounded in American culture which makes it a lot more relatable.
2. Super Mario RPG
3. Chrono trigger - A lot of people say this one is actually the best. I never got around to it, and really need to play it before I could recommend it above the others in this category.
Action games (similar to Zelda)
1. Illusion of Gaia
2. Secret of Evermore
3. Secret of Mana - Same as Chrono Trigger, I've never gotten around to this one (I plan to).

Thanks! Kinda looking for that turn-based gameplay. In the past, I just couldn't get into them I wanted to hack and slash, and my A.D.D. wouldn't let me play those kind of games. But now, I think I may enjoy one and figured I'd start back towards the beginning.

I know of Earthbound, but know nothing about it. May give that one a shot.

3 weeks later
#2551 3 years ago

Year or so ago I converted an old Sega Genesis 6 button joystick into a bluetooth controller. Today I connected it to my Switch to play the 30th Anniversary Collection of Street Fighter. So cool. I played SFII with this controller on the Genesis all the time. Takes me right back.

PXL_20210110_201150963 (resized).jpgPXL_20210110_201150963 (resized).jpg
#2556 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

lol. I believe that I've got a sealed box of these and some other nintendo promo materials from back in the day, along with a handful of the gamecube demo dvd's

That was kind of a fun time. Used to work at Kmart when the PS2, Xbox, and Advcanced all came out. I always enjoyed when we got a new shipment of consoles in. Opening the big box of random stuff. Finding them in there. Stocking them in the case. Pretty sure I USED to have some of the advertisements or displays we used to have. But were thrown out during one of my many moves since.

1 week later
#2573 3 years ago
Quoted from orangestorm87:

I got a raspberry pi 4 setup with an arcade punks image for retro arcade gaming. Everything is great other than every game starts with a bezel around the screen. Anybody have an idea how to remove all the bezels?

I think it must be in the configuration files. I downloaded one, pulled all the roms, bios, and configs and did a fresh install of RetroPie, and the screen bezels are still there. Never installed any extra plugins, so it must be tied to the config files somehow.

2 months later
#2587 3 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

I worked at Babbages when they were for sale. We had a demo unit chained to the counter so no one would swipe it...LOL. We sold maybe two or three that I can remember. Everyone thought that it was cool, but not worth the money for a tiny red and black screen, that a lot of people said made them nauseous. Honestly, the only game I remember liking was a Mario/Wario tennis game. I still have the demo unit in a closet. (Managers prerogative)

Remember playing one once at Walmart or something like that. Then in 1998 the brother of the girl I JUST started dating picked one up at a yard sale and it took all my might to act too cool to wanna play it. haha.

8 months later
#2634 2 years ago

In on a C group too. Went to the used game store last night and picked up a handful of gameboy games. While I was there, someone brought in a bag full of Nintendo games with an NES popping out. The couple was older (maybe upper 60's), so I assume this was their original system. I tried to take a peek inside the bag to see what was in there, but the high school kids snagged the bag away and said the contents won't be on the shelf until a 7 day waiting period. I told them I was just curious what was in there. Dicks.

3 weeks later
#2646 2 years ago

Should have kept my Metal Gear Solid Game Boy Color game. Thought it'd be fund to get that back and play through it again. Sheesh. But, I'm sure there's a lot of stuff I shouldn't have sold.

1 week later
#2647 2 years ago

Saw a First gen Genesis with matching First Gen Sega CD system and the first Sonic game for $300. Tried to haggle with them a little, but said the system has been on the shelf for just a month, so no wiggle room yet. But damn, I've always wanted the first gen CD. May go back this weekend.

#2651 2 years ago

Went at lunch and picked it up! Genesis, Sega CD, Sonic, a 3 button controller, a six button controller, and all the cables.

The girl who checked me out was the one I was asking about negociating a discount. So, she scanned a 15% off coupon for me. So was like $278 after taxes.

Haven't powered on yet to see if there's still a disc in the CD tray. Fingers crossed it's an Earthworm Jim.

But seriously, if you don't know about Half Priced Books, I've found SEVERAL great gaming things there. Last year, I saw an Atari 2600 complete with a box that looked to be in great shape for its age.

PXL_20220127_191954689 (resized).jpegPXL_20220127_191954689 (resized).jpeg
#2653 2 years ago

does have a disc in it! Sega Classics. So nothing to really recoop the costs. But still cool. Looks like the belt needs to be replaced at least. Disc wouldn't eject. I didn't connect to TV, so not sure what, if anything is on the screen. But could hear something spinning when I turned it on. So knew something was still in there.

PXL_20220127_223032732.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20220127_223032732.MP (resized).jpg
#2654 2 years ago

Been going through my closet, cleaning things up, and decided to write down all my Sega stuff I have. It's the one system that I don't think I ever sold anything, and still have all my game cases, most all of them still in mint condition. Going through them, I couldn't believe how niced they looked compaired to everything I've seen in resell shops.

I started to look up the value of some, and then saw you can create a pricecharting account and save your games. So I've started the process of doing this. I still have all my Nintendo games too. Will add them later.

But had a couple surprizes in my games. I remember I used to buy up almost all that I could when things were starting to get clearanced out. Like I have a Blackthrone for the 32x CIB. Still brand new looking. Same with Soulstar for the Sega CD. I don't remember those games at all. So I probably bought, played for 5 minutes and then went back to Sonic Spinball or something. Kinda fun seeing how much stuff is worth.

Anyone else save their collection using this service?
https://www.pricecharting.com/offers?seller=vqdus7t5yft4ymskswo4i2hmmy&status=collection

#2660 2 years ago

Yep untested. But was expected at this age. Didn't look like it was opened up prior, so I knew they probably didn't screw it up. So figured repairs should be simple enough. Caps and belt. But really bought it for a display piece. And with the added Genesis, and Sonic, they could have easily have asked for $400.

#2662 2 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

I get that, but still...you’re okay with a defective unit? Especially with the Genesis everdrive carts that let you play all the cd games? Actually they play better on the everdrive as I have both side by side and compared the two. I get authenticity and all, but...???

I also just ordered a non working 32x from Ebay to complete the stack. I'll revisit it all again soon. Again, never plugged into TV, so Im sure it probably works just fine, just needs a new belt. The system was very clean inside and looks like it saw very little abuse.

These will also go along with the CDX I picked up 3 years ago for $100. It all balances out.

2 months later
#2666 1 year ago

Started collecting all the Gameboy's back again. I've got a few original DMG's to make Gameboy Zero's out of, and pieced together a nice looking/working one. But a couple years ago I picked up a Color. Finally decided to replace the screen in it with one of those IPS screens, and holey crap, I would have played the crap out of my original color if this is the screen it shipped with. I hated playing on all the Gameboys I had when I had them originally. Wished I still kept them too.

So then I picked up an SP in silver like I used to have, and original Advance in that glacier color that looks like clear purple/light blue. Replaced the screen in the SP already and have a screen coming for the GBA. So much better looking. Next will be a GB Pocket. It's the only Gameboy other than the Micro that I never had originally.

3 weeks later
#2673 1 year ago

I’d even love to have a mini PC like that Amiga one, but loaded with shareware and demos from the free disks in PC gamer magazines. That would be awesome…

Somewhere back at my parents, I have a few boxes full of mid-90s PC Gamer and Gamespot magazines. Loved those demo discs. We bought a new computer in like 95. And I remember my mom saying that I can load up as many games as I wanted because I'd never fill the drive. It was full after 5 months.

5 months later
#2706 1 year ago

Think I may sell my Steam Deck. I've got the 512 version. I like it, but I much prefer playing on the PC. I just don't find it confortable to hold. And super performance with high graphics dont matter all that much for the size of the screen. It was a device that I've always wanted, and now that I have it, it's not what I thought it would be.

#2709 1 year ago

I hear that. I do a lot of PC gaming lately, which has been great. The only issue is that I do most of that PC gaming in the same spot I spend my day working. I really want to be able to move about and throw it onto a dock to play on a TV. We also have family out of town so we spend weekends away pretty often. The device is cool, and I'm a sucker for this kind of tech.

And I've really been playing my PS5 more than PC games. I enjoy sitting on the couch playing that. I did get Steam Link on my TV through Google TV, and played a few PC games that way. But many of the games I wanted to play portibly, I just can't play more than 30 mins at a time. Would much rather be in front of my monitor with mouse and keyboard. I thought this would satisfy my need for a new gaming PC. My current one is now 10 years old. It can still play most games, but at a lower setting. And I've thought about docking the Steam Deck, but then I just keep thinking, I'd rather just have a full tower PC instead.

Plus the other big thing is that I just got married, and I actually haven't touched the Deck in the last 2-3 months. So it's just money sitting there where we could actually use it.

And with that said, I have 512GB Deck w/box for sale for $625 shipped.

#2711 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Did you reset the Steam Deck to original as-shipped condition? It looks like it is doable, but somewhat of a pain.

Haven't looked into it yet. Suppose I should. I expected it should have been something simple.

1 week later
#2741 1 year ago

Super sad that my original Phat PS3 with backwards capability died just before the PS4 came out. I ended up replacing it with a Slim. I fixed the phat 3 times before I gave up. Each time I fixed it it didn't last as long. Used the heat gun trick on the board. Was tired of opening it up and doing that process.

Also, I just got notification that my Analogue Pocket is about to ship. Pretty excited for that. Got my Everdrives last year in preperation.

#2748 1 year ago

Nice! When did you order?

December 2021.

Did you hold onto it? And did you watch the video I just posted? It might be fixable

I sold it. But do wish I'd held onto it. I'd fixed mine a few times. I stretched it about an extra year before I tired of fixing it. I didn't see the video, so Im not sure if it was a more permant fix. I just opened mine up, took the board out and used the heat gun to re-flow the solder.

2 months later
#2770 1 year ago
Quoted from starfighter:

I'm looking for a comfortable gaming chair if anyone has a recommendation or two. Thx

What are you considering a gaming chair? Lazyboy? Desk chair? If you're looking for a desk chair, buy yourself a Herman Miller Aeron and never have to buy a desk chair again.

They've gotten DAMN expensive though. Were $600 when I was in college. I dreamed of once owning one. Then finally last year I bought one at the ourragious price of $1300. Just looked up the site, and holy cow. In just a years time, they've jumped in price again. like $1800.

It WAS worth it. Not sure anymore. But they are the best office chairs you can buy. Screw something that's labeled as a "gaming chair."

#2772 1 year ago

Work pretty well to do the lounge thing?

Yeah, lounging back works well. It has a couple different lock-off positions. Standard will let you sit up straight or lean back slightly. I use this 99% of the time. Then it has a position where you're able to lean back much further. I use this when I need to take a quick 10-minute nap. Then another lock-off position, which I rarely use, is that it will be upright, and then can lean forward a bit. This would be nice if you're doing work on a workbench or something.

The only thing is that it doesn't have a stock headrest. I had to order a 3rd party one. But the one I got was designed by former HM employees and source the same materials used in the chair. So it looks and feels OEM. https://atlasheadrest.com/

But the chair is high quality. (better be for the price) I've only had mine for a year, but I've been using it non-stop since we work from home 3 days of the week and I've seen no wear or clunkyness.

#2775 1 year ago

Got my Analogue Pocket the other day. It's a pretty solid device. Screen is nice and crisp and size is decent to hold onto.

1 week later
#2776 1 year ago

Also just canceled my Playdate. I really wanted it, but at this point, I'd rather just have my money back. Ordered July 2021. Shame too. But we're looking for a new house and making finanical cuts, so every little bit helps.

Also, still offereing my 512gb Steamdeck if anyone wants to buy it.

5 months later
#2909 8 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

You guys are freaking nuts. I've been working on Duck Tales for weeks and I still haven't beaten it on easy. Never cleared more than 2 levels on a single run through. I'm taking a break on it after finding out there is a Windows compatible version of Ultima Underworld on GOG for $1.49 that includes Ultima Underworld 2. I remember really liking this as a little kid. Dang the controls are primitive, but it feels to me like the most primitive 3d skyrim dungeon crossed with Fallout village mechanics. I remember getting stuck alot as a kid and having no recourse, but thanks to the internet I know I can cheat if I need to. Currently in the second level down with a save where I'm poisoned. Need to figure out how to heal myself. Totally worth $1.49 just for the nostalgia.

Ducktails was one of the first and only games I've beaten back in the day. Have not played since. But do know there was one game, can't remember if it was that one, or something similar, that the only way I was able to beat one boss was by using the built in "slo-mo" feature of my controller.

#2916 8 months ago

There's some 90's PC games I wish I could go back an experience for the first time, like Dark Forces. But mainly because I played many games WITHOUT SOUND. Our sound card wasn't compatible with many games. Remeber having to manually select everything just to play a game?

2 weeks later
#2939 8 months ago

Wasn't expecting to see this today! [quoted image]

Need to dig mine back out again. Packed it into a box a couple months ago as we just got a new house, and it hasn't been a priority on playing lately. But its a pretty slick machine. Once things settle back down again from buying this house, and having a baby in a couple weeks, I'd like to hit the resell shops again and see what they have in stock for GB, GBC, and GBA games. Maybe even some Game Gear games, since I got that addon.

#2943 8 months ago

Did you load any of the other cores? I plan to use it primarily for SNES/Genesis. I also ordered the dock. I'm waiting for support for the DAC before pulling the trigger on that, which was supposed to be ready by now.

I think just the SNES to test, and then haven't gotten back to it. Need to sort some games for each system and only put on the ones I wanna play. I like having the whole catalog, but damn, get overwhelmed on what to actually play some times.

#2945 8 months ago

I've started doing the exact same thing. I've pulled in my favorites and games I want to play, rather than everything and have it in a curated folder for easy loading.
One of the problems I'm seeing with the Pocket right now is there's currently no save states or sleep modes for SNES/Genesis cores. That's actually going to act as a decent barrier for me to commit to some games on this.

Hmm. I'll have to test again, but I thought I was able to save my states somehow. Maybe I'm mis-remembering. I'll check again tonight if I think about it.

#2952 8 months ago

Kinda jealous of these collections.

I'm waiting for the "man cave" where someone recreates that 80s-90s bedroom. If you're going to go all out with the fat TV's, get some brown carpet, Michael Jordan and Lamborgini posters on the wall, A Twin-size bed with Masters of the Universe sheets, and a beanbag chair.

1 month later
#2997 6 months ago

I bought the RetroFlag GPi 2 case (https://retroflag.com/gpi_case_2.html) nearly two years ago, but have not been able to use it because the stupic Compute Module 4 units have become impossible to get near their retail price. Finally bit the bullet and ordered one for $79. That's not as bad as $130 like I've been seeing. With the RPi 5 out, these CM4's may be harder to get a hold of because I'm sure they're working on a version 5. And who knows if that'll even be compatible with my GPi 2 case.

1 month later
#3013 4 months ago
Quoted from mackey256:

I completed a Contra (NES) No Death/No Power Up challenge a few days ago and figured y'all would appreciate it.

I have fond memories of Contra. I never had the game, but a friend of mine did. We'd play all night. But I SWEAR we used a cheat that gave 99 lives. And all I remember doing was: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Select, Start.

I know "Select" makes it two-player, does that give any more than 30 lives? Maybe I was just bad at math, and 30+30=99? Because I'm pretty sure I remember that if someone used all their lives, they could use the other players too.

#3022 4 months ago
Quoted from mackey256:

The Konami code gives both players 30 lives. You also still have the three continues so the lives add up when you use the continues. Freaking great game.

AH! That may be it then. So would that be 30 + 30 + 30 = 90?

If that's it, then I feel better. Everything I've seen, everyone says, you only get 30 lives. And I'm like, we beat the game twice in one play through, and we died a lot, ain't no way we only had 30 lives.

3 months later
#3050 17 days ago

Kickstarter went live today.
Funded the first goal in 17 minutes and all my initial stretch goals in about 9 hours.
All 8 designs are unlocked!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pureretro/8bit-nes-pixel-pins-a-collection-of-retro-game-enamel-pins

Well shoot. Just backed the 8 pins. Looks cool.

2 weeks later
#3069 2 days ago

[quoted image]
Got in my mario 1-3 pins for my kickstarter. These are 1" X 1" enamel pins.
Other games I'm making are zelda I & ii, metroid yellow, contra, Super C, tetris, Duck Hunt, final fantasy and castlevania
If ya know anyone who would dig em would love a share
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pureretro/8bit-nes-pixel-pins-a-collection-of-retro-game-enamel-pins

Disapointed you didn't go with Mike Tyson Punch out.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider woody24.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nes-classic-edition-unobtainium?tu=woody24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.