IMG_0340 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0339 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0341 (resized).jpeg
_20240408_142036 (resized).JPG
_20240408_142108 (resized).JPG
20240407_103121 (resized).jpg
20240319_202154 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Here are recent ebay sales. Can't believe what some people are willing to pay for this.
ebay.com link

People are dumb. It's a cute little trinket that will be massively available once Nintendo gets their shit together. Same as Amiibos. Hard to get at first and now it's not a big deal.

If you're tempted to overpay for this thing, consider a RetroUSB AVS ...an awesome HDMI NES system for $185...and then pick up and Everdrive for it. Then you can have every game ever made and not just 30.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

so the everdrive lets you load your NES roms on it and can read them?

Yup - you can put every rom from every region ..plus Famicom Disk System games, fan translations of games that never came out over here, hacks, hombrews, prototypes ...and play them all on a real NES. Or, in my case, the RetroUSB AVS - an HDMI NES that came out a few months ago. It's a great way to play NES carts in HD with no lag (the reason some people do not like to use computer emulators...lag and inaccuracies).

Back to Everdrives - the great thing about them is they offer the convenience of emulators without being emulators. You can play them on original hardware. To the system, a rom is a rom is a rom. I ended up selling all my old carts and getting Everdrives for my consoles. Saves a ton of space and I made a nice chunk of change from cart collectors.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

I just bought N64 last weekend. The only game I have is WWF No Mercy lol.

Get the Everdrive 64 and you won't have to worry about game hunting! I also recommend the UltraHDMI mod if you plan on booking it up to a modern display. Looks awesome in 1080p!

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

is the micro usb for power only or could it be able to transfer data?
I read that NES classic is actually more powerful than a Wii specwise

Well at least for resolution, Wii is only 480p. NES Classic is 720p. Even though these games were made for 240p, native 720p resolution looks awesome on 8-bit games!

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I think it's cool they did the scan line view but I'll be rocking HD when I get it

The scanline mode is still HD...it just has that "old" filter applied. Even though I have an AVS (which has Scanlines) ...I think the CRT mode on the NES Classic is super interesting, as it's not just scanlines..it's NTSC distortion as well. I use scanlines on my Framemeister & UltraHDMI when I play my old consoles in HD...in a weird way, they actually make the graphics look better with more depth. Your mind sort of fills in the blanks and everything seems "rounder". It's the same reason I prefer Dots vs. High Rez on ColorDMD.

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

Soda Poplinski just kicked my ass for over an hour. These games are so simple yet hard...?

LOL That's where I got stuck when I revisited Punch-Out recently. I could beat Mike Tyson as a kid...but as an adult...fucking Soda Popinski! GLARGH!!!

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's badass. Didn't know they had so many everdrives available. May go this route instead of trying to get my MAME arcade to run everything.
You able to save and everything like you can with games with batteries?

Yup! Saves work perfectly, just like a real cart. The only one that doesn't have full compatibility is the SNES one...you can't play Super FX Chip games yet, so Yoshi's Island, Star Fox and a few others won't work. However, on the SD2SNES cart, you can play MSU-1 hacked games...SNES games with CD quality soundtracks on real hardware! It's awesome!

Buy them from the source:
https://krikzz.com/store/

or their US distributor:

http://www.stoneagegamer.com

#129 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Is the SD2SNES worth getting over the Super Everdrive? I noticed it's more than double the cost. Where do you download the Roms from or do you just buy a preloaded SDCard? I still have all my old consoles (NES, SNES, Genesis, N64) and I'm really tempted to give this a go!

Yes, SD2SNES is far superior and has way more compatibility - plus the MSU-1 hacks. You gotta get your own roms, but I highly recommend googling "Smokemonster Everdrive" and download his packs...they're amazing, organized and complete.

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The worst part about this mess, and people paying 2 grand for it, isn't even that you can just emulate them yourself already -- it's that they're terrible old games. They don't hold up. You shouldn't pay any amount of money for them today.
Put down the memberberries and move on.

Not true - The 30 games Nintendo included w/ the NES Classic are pretty much all great. They're not schlock games like most compilation products...Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Megaman, Castlevania, Gradius, Kirby, etc...all wonderful games.

#135 7 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

Not that I'm getting one but why did they included Super C and not Contra.
they are 2 of my favorites on the system and you could say Super C is the better,
the first contra still my favorite and arguably the more popular, at least when I have people over and they want to dig into old games

I highly recommend trying the Japanese version of Contra on Everdrive or Emu...it has a Ghouls n Ghosts style map screen, cutscenes and way more background animation than the US version!

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

We were thinking about doing an episode of our show about how to make your own extension cables, inspired by this product.
Thoughts?

How long till you can hack the NES mini to put every game ever on it?

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

I love that version the moving trees are a nice touch
but I wish I had a famicom for Castlevania 3 so I could get the extra sound

You don't need a Famicom. You can get the extra sound on the RetroUSB AVS!

#141 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Original NES and SNES has RCA out, you can still plug those into new TVs.

They look like shit and lag like shit if you do that, though.

RGB with a Framemeister looks awesome, though!

www.retrorgb.com

#158 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It should come with a free hooker for what it costs, though..

It's worth it. Games look absolutely pixel perfect and gorgeous.

Compared to pinball money it's nothing.

#165 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Says the guy that *has* pinball money, lol.

I sold all the classic cartridges I've had since the 90's...cartridge collectors are paying CRAZY money for them...I sold multiple SNES carts for $400 a pop. Replacing my cart collection with Everdrives and RGB/upscaling stuff was basically free

#167 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I'm tempted, but I'd like to have things in hand to cover before I sell out.
I found a copy of Final Fight Guy sitting around in my box of SNES carts the other day, heh.

Damn, that's a $200-300 cart right there!!!

The only carts I kept were Starfox and Yoshi's Island, as they don't work on SD2SNES. I might pick up the Japanese game Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius as well, since that doesn't work yet.

#170 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

OK you are about to cost me a couple hundred bucks if you keep talking this thing up. I am really tempted.
Is there something similar that would play both SNES and NES, or would you need to buy both emulators for that?

I think you're confusing the things I'm talking about.

-For NES I bought a RetroUSB AVS. It's an HDMI NES. Not an emulator. It's an FPGA system "simulating" a NES.
---For games, I bought an Everdrive cartridge. Again, not an emulator. Just a cartridge capable of holding every game rom ever made on an SD card. To a system, a rom is a rom is a rom. Doesn't matter if the delivery is an old cart with 1 rom or a modern cart with 1000 roms.

-I'm using ORIGINAL SNES hardware. With an Everdrive. Again, no emulation. I have an RGB SCART cable which gets the purest signal from the console. Since those cables can't be plugged into any American TV's, I have a Framemeister - which converts the RGB signal into a resolution of your choice (I like 720p) - and sends it to the TV through an HDMI cable.

I also use RGB and Framemeister for my Genesis, Turbografx, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1 and PS2. I like this method because I like using original hardware. AVS isn't original hardware but it behaves exactly like it.

-Now, if you don't care about original hardware...some people like using devices like the Retron5. It's a "multi system" that plays carts...but it actually doesn't "play" them per se...it's an emulator box, and dumps the rom off your cart, then runs it on an emulator. You can't use Everdrives on these types of devices...however, you can hack them to play roms off an SD card. Personally, I'm not a fan...I think the picture quality blows on these things, and they have lag like emulators cuz it is an emulator...but if you're not picky, it's a cheap way to play old games thru HDMI on a TV.

#175 7 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Is pinball on it....???!!!..........Joey

high-speed-usa (resized).pnghigh-speed-usa (resized).png

PinBot_NES_boxart (resized).jpgPinBot_NES_boxart (resized).jpg

#176 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Yeah, imagine my shock, heh. I knew I had one, but I didn't realize it had blown up in price like that. I remember buying it back in the day, and looking a few years ago and remembering that it wasn't all that expensive...like maybe 40 bucks or so. Guess the pendulum has swung the other way and people are valuing authenic over emulation again.
My "Holy grails" as far as owning physical carts would be E.V.O. and Terranigma.

I had some great ones in my collection that I bought back in the day ...probably on clearance! I got $400 for my Space Megaforce! The one I wish I would have kept a bit longer...I had MUSHA for Genesis. A few years back, I sold it for $80...thinking it would never go higher than that when you can buy it on the Wii Virtual Console for $5. That's a $500 game now!!!!!!

#179 7 years ago
Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Where did you find these values/prices?? I'm curious because I have final fight, along with about 100 others. Final fantasy 2, star fox, super Mario rpg, super castlevania, f-zero etc.

Just look on eBay to get an idea. If you have complete games with boxes/instructions, they're worth way more. Search your game with "CIB" (Complete in box). Mario RPG should be a lot - that's another that won't work on Everdrive/SD2SNES.

#180 7 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

I have a ton of NES, Genesis and SNES carts. Where are you guys selling??! Ebay?? Those prices are crazy.

I sold my "big ones" on EBay - the rest I sold to the local collector community for a bit less to avoid listing/shipping so many games.

#183 7 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Ok now you're peaking my interest.... how does the interface work with the everdrive cartridge? Is there an easy access menu to launch the roms? I had no idea something like this was out there.

You can make folders on your computer and organize the roms any way you want. Then when you turn on the console, the folders will be listed...press the button and you'll see your list of games. Press the game, it starts right up!

I just download the Smokemonster packs because they're very nicely organized. US games, Japanese games, Top 100 lists, Translations, Prototypes, Homebrew, etc. I also like to make my own older with my favorites or games I used to own - my "virtual shelf"

Here's a pic I found on my phone of the SD2SNES - I was browsing through the translations folder and took a pic for some reason.

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

But approx. $300 for the console & cartridge is kinda pricey though.

Well, let's bring this conversation back to the NES Classic...if you just want to talk pure value - $60 for an "intro" to HDMI retro gaming is absolutely fantastic, IMO. $2 per game, and they're all excellent games! Getting classic consoles filled with games and upscaled to HDMI can be pricey...for me - worth it. For a casual gamer - NES Classic is pretty awesome.

#195 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Am I correct that this does not come with controllers? Is there a site you recommend for controllers for this system?

Oh yeah, it's compatible with any NES controller though - it has the same ports. I just bought some used NES pads off eBay for $10 each.

#215 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

is that the "chattering parodius" version with the extra chip in it for all of the voice-over stuff?

Yeah! I have the Saturn version, which is mostly better - but the SFC version has a few different levels. I used to have the SFC version, but sold it way back when. Kinda wanna play it again...but I'd need the real cart.

2 weeks later
#265 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I've seen a lot of animosity. For the faithful it will be an easy purchase but I don't see it converting PS4 or XBone players. And I don't see anything to bring in casual fans like the Wii did. I feel it's gonna be another Wii U with a dedicated fan base and good games every couple of months.
The console generation feels like the death knell for consoles with very few original games and PCs accessibility at an all time high.

Nintendo's been in a weird console spot since they lost a ton of marketshare in the N64 days. With Gamecube, it was essentially the same thing as the PS2 and Xbox...the market doesn't need 3 of the same thing, so - in a sense, they've been smart to not just be another option to Sony/MS's offerings, and to do something different that sets their stuff apart. DS & 3DS accomplished that. Wii accomplished that. I personally love the Wii U, but they really fucked up on marketing it - consumers didn't understand it was a whole new thing, they thought it was just a Wii accessory or upgrade. So far, they seem to be correcting that with the Switch reveal - really trying to stress how this thing is a super unique console/portable hybrid with lots of options for any type of gamer. Hopefully they'll continue that and do a better job at exploiting Nintendo/retro nostalgia which is at an all time high right now. They've got great IP, and they've got a great classic library...if they can successfully sell this thing as the ultimate jack of all trades, go-to system that offers:

-New games based on classic Nintendo IP (Zelda, Mario, Smash, Kart, etc)
-A robust and easy to use portal to classic Nintendo IP (NES, SNES, N64, GB)
-3rd party support
-Home console with graphics comparable to the competition
-Portable console that uses the same games you're playing at home
-Social media interaction
-Streaming media hub

I don't see how they couldn't have a hit with this thing...but Nintendo does usually find ways to fuck things up lol

#267 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

What your describing is just the kind of system to appeal to their fanbase but nothing to bring in casuals or players of other systems.

Maybe - but I think if a person owns a PS4 or Xbone...they really don't need the other one as they're generally the same, but a Switch is different and interesting enough to become the "2nd console" for people who use one of the others as a main. I dunno, I guess we'll see! It's hard to predict with Nintendo!

#271 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

The Wii U had Splatoon and third party Zombi U. Maybe Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors, and Pokken Tournament could be considered original but they feel like familiar games with a new license attached. That's what scares me the most for Nintendo's future. If they can't expand their library with new franchises each generation they aren't going to last long.

For me, it was exciting to get the beloved franchises in HD. Yeah, I know it wasn't enough for the masses...but I was more than happy with Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8 Zelda Windwaker HD, Twilight Princess HD, Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario U, Mario Maker, Smash Bros., Kirby....

For me personally, I don't have enough time to spend on video games as I used to...so it takes me forever to finish even easy short games. So honestly - the new Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, and Kart on Switch will be enough to keep me happy for years lol.

#275 7 years ago
Quoted from Chuckie:

Yes just go to the wii hack reddit, on the right is a sidebar with a link to a wiki, and there everything is explained, it is not hard to do but it took me some time to get the right info there is a lot if old, wrong or scam info in the internet about hacking a wii.
(Why don't I just give you the direct link https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/hacking-guide)
Good luck it is really worth it.

I did the homebrew channel hack thing on my Wii years ago, but then never went further with it. I went to revisit it recently and was lost. I need to go back and catch up, figure out what files need to be on the SD card, and figure out how to play Gamecube games off the SD card!

#288 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

There should be zero lag. I'm going to assume your tv introduced the lag via hdmi. This was common on games like guitar hero and other consoles

The NES Classic has audio lag. That's inherent to its design, not an HDMI issue. RetroUSB AVS is currently the best way to enjoy NES in HD. I just played some Punch-Out (Mike Tysons) and got really far. Response is awesome, no lag. The toy-flipper should have spent his dough on that instead of a NES Classic for $190. That's nuts.

#293 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I disagree. Any lag experienced is based on the tv not the nes mini.
Remember to check your tv settings and if you can disable any delay and force it to 720p. Older tv's may work better as all the new ones force upscaling and other things via the processor and it being "smart"

Watch My Life In Gaming's review. They show the audio delay issues. In Megaman 2, the characters are moving fine ...but the jump and shoot sounds come later.

#310 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I bought one of those Genesis things a few years ago. Went to the game replay store to buy some old games. About half of what I bought would play on it. Not all original games are compatible with it.
*Edit.
About the Lag, are we sure it's controller lag, and not framerate?
Agree that the TV settings can cause lag. Pinball Arcade was unplayable on the PS4. Changed TV mode to Game, and it was fine. But I guess when I first read jwo825's post about Megaman with Lag, my first thought was a slowdown in framerate since he mentioned 2 games with that problem, and not all of the games.

The gameplay and framerate isn't the issue. HDMI retro gaming CAN be relatively lag free. You get lag in retro games when you use old video connections like composite - because the TV has to process and upscale a 240p signal, and it isn't good at it. The NES Mini has gameplay lag AND audio lag. That's something inherent to it's design, and unfortunately you can't update it. So, it is what it is. I play NES games on my AVS through HDMI, and there is no noticeable lag in play or sound. I play my other old consoles through my Framemeister, and there's 1 or 2 frames at most...but it's relatively unnoticeable.

I've cued this up to lag discussion...there IS play lag, and sound lag (a different issue):

#312 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Lol!
We make all this room for pinball machines, but for classic gaming we want the smallest area possible... and then want flat square cell shaded graphics??? Go original! Get a crt! It plays perfect and looks perfect! Get an everdrive and you can have every game!
Not to mention using a real nes light gun

While I do miss light gun use, I'm more than happy playing my retro games on my 130 inch projector screen using a Framemeister for high def/low lag output with scanlines! I was playing some Sega Genesis last nite - here's an example of how it looks. Very close to CRT but pixel perfect RGB output and HUUUUGE!

#316 7 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

When I decided I was going back to a retro console and an Everdrive, I started researching CRTs. I found this PVM20L5 on OfferUp within a couple days for $20 because it wasn't working. Couple cracked solder joints is all that was wrong. I guess I was lucky, but Karma owed me big time because that beautiful Super Famicom I got a couple weeks ago didn't work. Anyway, the Genesis looks great even with the composite cable!

Oooph, composite on Genesis blows. You can see those rainbow bars in the white text at the bottom. I got lucky and bought a rare S-Video box for my Genesis in the late 90's, and it got rid of those bad rainbow FX...but now that I've seen what old consoles can look like with RGB output...holy moly, I can't go back!!!!

1 week later
#367 7 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Not so sure about that - 2nd versions rarely become the hype that the first was when it comes to the "hot" toys of Christmas. I'm sure they will make a second version, but I don't think there will be much hype around it, regardless of any intentional shortage.

If the games are good, people will want it. However, they pretty much blew their load with the next classics on the current one ...Still, there are plenty of great 3rd party games to include ...more Mega Mans, Contra 1, Castlevania 3 ...maybe they can work out something to put the Capcom Disney games on there ...

#390 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Enough of this emulation plug n play talk. Who's a true retro console junkie member?
I will raise my hand.... here's a picture of complete Genesis games for which I'm still missing manuals...
Been collecting cartridges since 1997 and have 2,000+ carts including nearly complete colllections of 2600,5200,7800,unlicensed NES, Virtual Boy, ti-99 and a couple others.
Anyone have any Neo Geo MVS carts for sale or trade?

I still have my original SNES, Genesis, N64, Dreamcast, Saturn, GBA SP & GBA Micro. I bought a RetroUSB AVS since I didn't have a NES. I bought a Japanese CoreGrafx since I didn't still have my old Turbografx. I still had 100's of cartridges but I've since sold most
of them & use Everdrives instead. Still have my disc based games & GBA games...although I'm prob gonna sell those soon since the GBA Everdrive came out.

#409 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Why did you wait for the everdrive? I have an EZ Flash IV and it works great. I have it in my famicom gb micro right now.

Cuz I love Everdrive. Drag, drop, play. Don't you have to patch roms for EZ Flash or some shit? Too much work.

#418 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

It's been awhile since I put every GBA game on my EZ Flash but you may be right. I think I had to use a EZ Flash program to put them on the Mini SD. It was almost drag and drop but with an extra step.

This guy called Smokemonster makes these amazing Everdrive rom packs for every Everdrive. It's literally everything from every region, plus hacks, homebrew, prototypes, tools, color restorations, music players etc....nicely organized. Just download, drop on the sd card, play.

#434 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Down with emulation
I have about 40-50 CIB nes/snes not in the photo

For the record, using an Everdrive on an original console is not emulation.

#438 7 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

That N64 V3 Everdrive looks great, I think I will get one. I looked on Ebay and added up the prices of all my N64 cartridges and it looks like I could pretty much pay for it if I sell those. But, maybe I'll keep them, can't decide. The most valuable ones I have look like Goldeneye 007 (about $25), Mario Kart 64 ($50) and Pokeman Stadium 2 ($40).

It's fantastic. Selling my Conker pretty much paid for it.

#444 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Haha. I always left the game in the aquarium mode where you can just leave your tv on all night and it's like a real aquarium. Haha. I'm such a dork.

I woke up one morning, turned on Seaman to check on him - and he said "I bet you're just sitting there in your underwear right now". Mofo was psychic. He also told me I had the same birthday as Timothy Leary and made an LSD joke at my expense

#451 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Now that the Holidays are over It probably won't be much longer till these are available everywhere if you have some patience.

Lol. Since I have a AVS and Everdrive, I don't need one of these things - but I would have totally bought one just cuz it's cute and I love Nintendo collectibles. They've made it so hard to casually buy something I don't need, I kind of don't care any more. When they decide to stock these like a normal company trying to make money, I'll get one...prob when they're on sale for $40

#462 7 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

How did I miss this game? Sounds awesome.

Seaman is just weird as fuck. It's a a weird virtual pet that you can talk to. The game comes with a microphone that plugs into the Dreamcast. Each time you turn on the game, there's narration from Leonard Nimoy about the day's events.

1 week later
#495 7 years ago

My fav SNES games in no order:

1. Yoshi's Island
2. Starfox
3. Legend of the Mystical Ninja
4. Goemon 2 (Mystical Ninja 2, Japan only)
5. TMNT 4: Turtles In Time
6. Super Mario World
7. Super Metroid
8. Super Mario Kart
9. Legend of Zelda: A Link To the Past
10. Plok (massively underrated platformer - best music ever )

Ok I can't just pick 10 lol

11. Super Castlevania IV
12. Contra III: The Alien Wars
13. F-Zero
14. Castlevania Dracula X
15. Megaman X

Gaddamn Konami was just killing it on the SNES.

Ok I'll stop at 15 but I'll prob come back and edit/add more lol.

#629 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Yes it was a few years ago when I couldn't figure out how to run a Blu-Ray. I eventually fired up the PS3 and it worked fine! (Supports 3D Blu ray too)

Does PS4 not support 3D? I know that was the case when it launched, but I thought they updated the firmware so it does.

#632 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Blu-Ray 3d, yes.
PS4 games don't support 3d at all which is absurd, since some PS3 games did........like Pinball Arcade. Asswipes.
I played so much Gun Smoke as a kid that I beat it on one life.

Booo...games look really cool in 3D, I have a few. Puppeteer, Shadow of the Colossus HD, Ico HD, Batman Arkham City, etc.

#647 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballBeerGuy:

I luckily got most of my collection before prices got too crazy. Unfortunately certain games (Panic Restaurant, Ducktales 2, Earthbound) now are unobtanium for me because I will not pay more than MSRP for a game, though I have gone slightly higher for a couple complete games that I really wanted. Maybe I'll get them someday, maybe not. In the meantime I can play through the games I have and be happy.

Get an Everdrive. Then you'll have all those games. Unobtanium no longer!

#650 7 years ago

I know that these devices exist. I have gone so far as to make my own custom carts for some of these games using the supplies from http://www.infiniteneslives.com. But there is still something to me about having the original game.

For me, as long as it's the original hardware, I'm good. The system doesn't know if the cart is an Everdrive, original, or bootleg. A rom is a rom to the system. Since collectors are going nuts and driving up prices, Everdrive is the way to go if you just wanna play all the old games and save money & space. I sold all my old carts and got Everdrives for my consoles.

#653 7 years ago

Pre orders tomorrow for my local game stop is 10 am, $50 down, limited number available. I work at 8 am so I am boned. Oh well. Good luck!

Switch? I'm hoping some pre-orders go live tonite after the presentation. NINTENDO!!! TAKE MY MONEY!!!

#655 7 years ago
Quoted from Bronty:

yeah it all depends if you are a player or a collector (or both I guess). If all you want to do is play them, the modern options are great.

Yeah, I don't get collectors when Everdrives are the ultimate way to play on original hardware. But hey, they willingly threw about $10k at me for my old carts so I shouldn't complain. I see a lot of people buying bootleg reproductions just to have more carts on their shelf. I don't understand that AT ALL. All the money they're spending to collect fake carts...just get one Everdrive.

#671 7 years ago

I got a Switch Pre-Order! WOO! Wal-Mart sold out in 5 minutes. Got mine from Best Buy. Selling out quick but it's store-pick-up specific...so try different stores till you get one!

#673 7 years ago
Quoted from E_Gpinball:

I pre-ordered the neon version through best buy. I'll see how this goes this March. *Fingers crossed*
I am very excited about the new Mario game.

Yeah I'm kinda bummed Mario's not till Xmas time....but this Zelda looks so huge, I can probably play that till Fall!

#699 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Stupid Hype. Oh well. I bought a WiiU last year, and have only played it like 5 hours. Got it because of Mario maker. Figured I'll dump off the WiiU and replace it with the switch.

You're missing out on a lot of great games! Splatoon, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, Rayman Legends, Shantae ....granted, most of these are gonna pop up on the Switch now, but still ...love the Wii U!

#701 7 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

Mario in a realistic world just looked weird but I love the 3d Marios so we will see

That was weird...but that was just one level. Every level seem to have a totally different aesthetic...so I'm guessing that floating machine he's in takes him to different dimensions like Sliders or something.

#704 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Damn, and I bet there's so many people putting up 4 TVs in a rectangle too.
*scratch head*

I have one of these.. I never had anything but Metal Slug for it. I don't understand the fascination. It's a turd compared to a GBA.

It has a really nice thumb-fitting and clicky stick! But yeah, it came out in a market where no one was going to care. I enjoyed the one I got from Target on clearance for $20 ...but I sold it a long time ago.

#709 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

What's the best place to obtain a Framemeister, and how much do they usually cost?

They were about $300, but now that they announced that they're discontinuing the current model, people are flipping them for stupid money. Hopefully there will be a new model announced.

There's also an open source kit thingie that has good reviews.

http://retrorgb.com/upscalers.html

#711 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

aw f......kkkkkkk really?!?

Yeah there's a chip that they can't get anymore. Framemeister isn't their first upscaler tho - it might be the 3rd? It's very popular and will remain so as long as retro gaming becomes more and more popular. So - I wouldn't be surprised if they have a new version in the works. Why wouldn't they ?

#715 7 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Amazing that switch preorders sold out so quickly, and at the same time analysts are worried over Nintendo's viability and ability to meet the sales targets for switch. If Nintendo (again) is short on supply, they are more stupid than a box of rocks

I would normally agree about Nintendo's shitty supply issues, but in this case I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. This odd March release is kind of a "test and tease" up until the holidays. By then, they'll have a decent library of games and the launch of the new Mario - at that point we'll probably see a price drop or a pack-in game...and they could have a huge "mainstream" Christmas while letting the hardcore Nintendo fans and early adopters jam on it all year.

#722 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Nintendo drops its old systems like a rancid hot potato. Sony, MS and their 3rd parties continue supporting older hardware almost to a fault.
Nintendo has a lot riding on the Switch. They'll hold back inventory to create hype for launch. I also expect the WiiU version of Zelda to be canceled.
From the presentation, I feel they're making all the same mistakes they made with the Switch. The system will be huge in public commute heavy Japan, not sure about Western markets long term.

Western kids love tablets. That could get them interested - but only if they want to play long form style games like Zelda and Mario instead id 99 cent apps. That's why I think it's important that Nintendo really do something "modern" with all their classic IP. A subscription that gives players access to the whole NES library...or pricing NES games like apps at 99 cents, would make it more appealing.

#728 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Paper Mario was available at launch for the Wii per my memory. That was a pretty good game too.

Paper Mario's pretty niche. We haven't had a full free-roaming large world Mario since Sunshine. Galaxy was, sort of...but everything was confined to those little mini planets. I'm really excited for a Mario that makes us all feel the way we did when we played Mario64. And like Galxy, I hope they do a sequel before the console's life is up.

#734 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

And FFS....WHERE THE HELL IS METROID, PEOPLE?

Someone else just made an NES Metroid prequel! Just tried it on my Everdrive - pretty cool!!!

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/unofficial-metroid-prequel-rogue-dawn-out-now-a-playable-on-nintendo-nes.html

#759 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

was anyone quick/lucky enough to pre-order a zelda: breath of the wild master collection?

I got the "Special Edition" ...same stuff except for the sword statue, which is fine by me...I mostly wanted the carrying case.

#771 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

So i'm either looking straight up or straight down most of the time.

That's odd. The camera is always in a normal place when I play. You must be doing something wrong.

#783 7 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

If you're the proud owner of a Wii U, you might be wondering whether the Switch is worth a day one purchase. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is coming to both, so what's the rush, right? Well, the two versions have a few key differences. In a statement provided to IGN, Nintendo confirmed that the Switch game will run at 900p on your TV, while the Wii U version will be stuck at 720p. Switch owners will also benefit from "higher quality environmental sounds," covering water, grass and ornate steps. These will be "more realistic and enhance the game's open air feel," apparently.

I wonder why 900p? I'm assuming it still outputs at 1080p, but 900 is the actual resolution? I think I read that a lot of Xbox One and PS4 games do that...is it common to have a slightly lower resolution to run a game more efficiently? I haven't really kept up with all the specs over the years.

#785 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I wonder how many would be able to tell the difference between the two versions. "This grass sounds...more realistic." Not sure why they would make two different quality sound files. I can't imagine the Wii U not being able to handle it.

Perhaps something to do with how it accesses memory? Or even sound processing? I'm a programming dummy, I'll just assume: Newer Hardware = newer tricks for better A/V.

#792 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

They have youtube vid showing the difference, however the wiiu version is showing demo video so it could change. However, the wiiu's graphics are impressive, but the switch looks amazing. Also you can see splatoon 1 vs 2 aka wiiu vs switch, big difference. Zelda is the same game however, so it is just different graphics and control(ls)

Splatoon 2 doesn't look that different from the first...maybe some more reflections and lighting FX. I wouldn't be surprised if Splatoon 2 was being developed for Wii U & then ported over to the Switch. I don't care really - Splatoon is all about the colorful art direction and I think it looks great on Wii U & Switch. I hadn't played it for months, but have been playing the hell out of it over the past couple nights...man, I don't know why I put it down - it's so fun! For a "dead" system, there are always people online ready to play Splatoon! 8 player matches fill up instantly. Really looking forward to 2....I hope it has more of a robust 1 player game mode.

#794 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Splatoon is a sweet game. I should fire it back up. I'm kind of on a GCN kick now..... Did you happen to get star fox on wiiu?

I did get Star Fox despite the bad reviews. The controls are bizarre and sometimes infuriating. I never finished it...I'm on the last few levels, though. It's totally gorgeous...but the CONTROLS...I sorta kinda got used to them, but because every level has a different vehicle with different weird controls - it's hard to put down and pick up later...I feel like if I put it back in I'm going to have to retrain again. I just wish it played more straight forward like the SNES version. It's really Anti-Nintendo in that sense...Nintendo games are usually really intuitive to just pick up. Like Splatoon...hadn't played it in months, didn't even have to think to jump right back into it.

#808 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

ah. Ok, sorry!
I was just in an internet war with some troll who was hurt Nintendo was not porting the MK8 Deluxe extras to the wiiu mk8.... @#$@#$ boggles my mind sometimes how short sighted people are about business workings.

It would be nice if Nintendo offered a few olive branches to those of us who supported the Wii U. They can see by my account that I bought the Mario Kart 8 DLC packs....would be nice to get some kind of discount or something if I buy the new one, which is almost the same game.

#811 7 years ago

i guess splatoon got some love, havent tried it.

It's so fun!!!!!! I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid I'm a squid I'm a kid!!!!!!!!

#813 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I remember reading various best of articles and it always seemed like Twilight Princess was never considered either a GC or Wii game. I wonder if this new Zelda will have the same problem.

How is that a problem? People with either console can enjoy it. I never played Twilight Princess back in the day, but recently finished it on Wii U! Glad I waited for that version, it's gorgeous in HD!

#815 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

we have twilight princess for both systems. Both can handle it very well and looks pretty damn close to the same.
I think the Wii U buyers are kind of upset because it seems the software support for the Wii U was short lived. There isn't exactly a plethora of Wii U only games. Many you can get on Wii and Wii U.

Maybe it's because it takes me forever to get through games - but I was more than happy with my Wii U games. Here's what I've got, physical and digital:

#821 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

You don't have Bayonetta 2?!?!?!
Pikmin 3 or toad treasure hunter? THere are tons of fun games, star fox is a great game. The controls take getting used to JUST like splatoon but once you get a hour or so in, you get the hang of it.

Bayonetta is too spazzy for me. I can't figure out wtf is going on...but maybe I should give it another chance. It's Sega so I wanna like it. I have Pikmin 3 and Toad as digital downloads. I've barely played Pikmin, to be honest...it was a freebie with Mario Kart.

What would you recommend between Kirby and the Rainbow Curse or Yoshi's Woolly World?

Yoshi...it's a great platformer. Kirby is pretty awesome too, with its claymation graphics...but my problem with Kirby is it's PURELY a touchscreen game. I really wish you could use the Wiimote to draw and play it on the screen instead of being confined to the touchpad. Sometimes Nintendo, with all its control options...forgets to give you ENOUGH options. Starfox could have used an option for less convoluted play....Kid Icarus on 3DS had terrible stock controls, and not enough options to make it playable.

#826 7 years ago

Im a huge fan of the top down Zeldas. A link to the past is my fav but the new, A Link Between Worlds on 3ds is fantastic. Minish Cap is also super good. I enjoy them more than the 3d Zeldas.

Me too. I find them much more intuitive and fun.

#847 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

how does the GB Link to the past compare to the SNES version? I really liked SNES version.

It's good if you wanna play it on a GBA, but if you're gonna play on TV, the SNES one is better. Better resolution and sound. GBA sound is really compressed.

#876 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckcasey:

Do you guys know about the SoCal Retro Gaming Expo next weekend? Not sure why I just discovered it yesterday.
http://www.socalretrogamingexpo.com/
I'm going to check it out on Saturday. What do you guys know about it?

It was at Frank 'n Sons last year...I went and sold a good chunk of my cart collection to collectors just waiting to throw cash at me! I got in trouble cuz only the vendors are allowed to sell...but I had already made my money lol.

It was so popular that they moved it to the Ontario location. Should be a good time if you like browsing/buying/selling/trading classic games & seeing Youtube gamer nerds in person.

#883 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

What is the worst Zelda in your opinion? (No CDI games. They don't count. )

For me, Majora's Mask cuz it's just confusing and I don't understand the concept at all. I have the 3DS version and I want to like it - but it's making it very hard.

#886 7 years ago

Spirit tracks is the only one I couldn't stomach and play thru, it's just shit and shouldn't have been made lol

I never tried the DS Zeldas. I didn't like the idea of using the stylus to move around. Link Between Worlds on 3DS is fantastic, though - it's the legit follow up to SNES Zelda.

#889 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

A couple of years ago there was a patch for Phantom Hourglass that allowed you to use the dpad if you had a flash card.
I didn't mind using the stylus myself.

I mean, it might be fine! That was just my thought at the time. I should try them eventually. Zelda games are huge...there are so many old ones I never finished that I should probably get through before I try any more.

#892 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

From what I've heard both DS games are flawed. I played quite a bit of Phantom Hourglass and the dungeon is really repetitive. It was fun but got tedious over time.
I'd like to try Spirit Tracks because the train idea is neat. I actually think a lot of the portable games look good.

I need to finish Minish Cap...I never finished the Gameboy Color DX one...I don't think I even played the Oracle of Ages/Seasons games...maybe started but didn't get far. Damn there are a lot of Zeldas I gotta get through!

#896 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

to really understand majoras mask, you have to play through ocarina of time fully. Majoras mask is the only game that is a direct sequel to another zelda game. One flows right into the other one.

I finally finished Ocarina on 3DS, then bought Majora. Flow has nothing to do with it. I don't get the whole moon crashing time rewind concept. It's especially tough since I tend to put games down for months. If I fire Majora back up I have no clue what to do.

#913 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's pretty awesome, but why does it keep saying New 3ds? what happens if you try it with a 3DS that you have been using?

I don't know anything about this streaming thing...but the *new* Nintendo 3DS (worst product name ever) is a slightly different system than the 3DS. It has a right analog nub, it can play SNES games via the eShop while the old 3DS can't, it has faster loading and downloading. Perhaps there's something about its hardware that allows for this streaming hack and the old 3DS can't do it?

#915 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

It's also got the motion tracking camera that provides better 3D. The camera tracks your eyes and adjusts the screen to your face. It's really neat tech and causes significantly less eye strain than the original 3DS.

Oh yeah, how could I forget that! That's the REASON I upgraded to a *new* 3DS! I noticed a lot of people don't even use the 3D on the 3DS...but I love 3D, and the tracking 3D is absolutely great...it almost never "breaks" while playing.

Speaking of retro...have you played any of the Sega 3D classics? The 3D separation they've done on 16-bit Sega Genesis & arcade games is brilliant. Not only to the games look beautiful and crisp...perfect ports, the 3D effect is really really great!

#923 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I agree. I skipped over most handhelds until the Game Boy Player came out for the GameCube. I wish they could do that with the Switch for the DS / 3DS.

They prob could have done it on the Wii U. But Switch is a single screen experience. Dunno how they'd do DS or 3DS games unless they were playable only on the undocked touchscreen w the dual screens both displayed on the touchscreen.

#925 7 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

I think they want to keep the buzz rolling, unlike the Wii U. exposing the switch to a demographic that might not care about games anymore or even social media, but played Zelda as a kid helps. plus the commercials so far seem to be aimed at the "young hip" adults.
also with how much money in cash Nintendo has you need to spend some on advertising. Why not during the most watched TV event where some people only care about the commercials.
I cant even remember a wii u commercial

Yeah, they full on botched the Wii U with shit marketing from day 1. The name was stupid, and people assumed it was just a Wii accessory or upgrade...they didn't realize it was an entirely new console. Had they called it something else, and screamed from the rooftops: NINTENDO IN HD!!!!!!!! ...I think they would have fared better. Honestly, that's all I wanted out of it. Nintendo in HD...and that's what I got, and really enjoyed it! So, I think to most people who ignored the Wii U, they've never experienced Nintendo in HD....and now Nintendo is CLEARLY marketing a NEW system, and people will get it. Anyone who grew up with Nintendo franchises but skipped the last generation or two - they're gonna dig this. Home console & portable in one, lots of great multiplayer opportunities.

#928 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I was at E3 when they released wiiu and thought it was a wii accessory....lol. Took me like 2 years until I found out how awesome it was. Now I have 2 one for work and one at home.
Just ordered a VGA cable for my DC's and a component for my ps2!!! So pumped to get some better picture out of these consoles. Just need some ultra-hdmi for the n64

Ultra HDMI is awesome, I love it! I wish every old console had an HDMI mod...maybe one day!

I've got the Toro for my DC, which has VGA & RGB Scart...I'm using it with Scart through my Framemeister and the Dreamcast just looks absolutely incredible in 1080p. I'm pretty sure I have a component for my PS2...but I've also got the RGB for that so I can Framemeister it, although I haven't monkeyed with it too much. PS2 games have a lot of resolution switching, which kinda sucks on a Framemeister.

#930 7 years ago

I rgb modded my N64 and have it hooked up to my PVM with an SCART cable. Pretty happy with it. SNES with SCART in RGB on a PVM is mind blowing awesome, the N64 leap wasnt as drastic in my opinion, but its still pretty good looking.

I'm playing on a 1080p projector, and N64 in 1080p with scanlines looks awesome.

#933 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Where the HELL do I sign this petition?

Pinball could be really cool with the Switch's "HD rumble" ...there could be a subtle rumble that goes from one Joycon to the other depending on where the ball is on the table...plus "realistic" left and right rumbles for flippers, slings, pops, etc.

#949 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Uh, there's a new Rez game? S--t.

PS4 remake.

#957 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Saw a few headlines today that the rumor is that Nintendo is going to stop production of the NES Classic. The system can't be making them much, and with the Switch coming out, I can see them putting all resources into that, since they seemed to have sold quite a bit of pre-orders already. So I don't blame them I guess. Just kinda sucks because I was wanting a shelf display toy.
http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/767007/Nintendo-Classic-Mini-NES-production-ended

It's free money, zero effort. Just have to make them and ship them. There's no way they stop. They still can't fill demand.

#959 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

If they retailed for $100, then sure, I'd say it's free money. But since it's $60, they can't be making a whole lot from them. You got the manufacturer, the crate shipper, the warehouse distributor, and then the retail stores, not to mention the license fee they probably have to pay for the games that aren't theirs. After everyone takes their piece of the $60, I'd say Nintendo probably isn't left with more than $10. And even though that $10 is pure profit, is it really enough to to mass-produce them non-stop when they're banking on the Switch, which no-doubt will have a much larger profit margin?
Sell 100k NES Classics? Or sell 100k Switches?
Just because something is popular and has demand, doesn't mean that it's worth it. I can sell all my stuff on Ebay, but for the amount of effort it took to make $10 profit, I might as well have just thrown the item in the trash.

I think they're making way more than that per unit...in any case - it was a false story. They'll remain in production. It's not competing with Switch.

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-of-europe-says-nes-classic-edition-production-will-continue/

4 months later
#1308 6 years ago

I'm hoping they've learned from the NES Classic debacle. They were caught off guard by the nostalgia/retro scene. Now they know. Plus, including the finished version of Starfox 2!?!? That's insane!

My perhaps naive prediction: They will make millions instead of a few hundred thousand, and they'll keep selling them next year. They have to realize this is "free money", an impulse buy, great brand advertising, and not competition for the Switch.

#1312 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

You're living in a fantasy world if you actually believe that.. they haven't shown ANY willingness to fix their incompetence over the last 5 years or so...you think *THIS* is the turning point? I highly doubt that.

My Nintendo stock says otherwise

They're killing it this year with the Switch, there will be a ton available even if it's not instantaneously (I got 3 on launch day....and no I didn't scalp them). I think we'll see something different with this release. They know the demand for retro now. Free money. They made 2.3 million NES Classics. They say there will be significantly more SNES. 5 mil? 10 mil?

#1314 6 years ago

Evil. They're speculating, though. If Nintendo releases 5 million + & stores limit 1 per customer, scalpers will lose interest.

#1316 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I actually recently sold my NTDOY stock. Not sure if that was wise or not, but it's just up so much over the past two years that I thought it was a good opportunity to cash out. I can't remember who said it, but "It's better to be a soar winner then a soar loser." I figured things were near hyped out after Pokemon Go, Amiibos, NES Classic, Switch, and several game announcements. Not sure how much of the SNESmini was built into the price; but that game list will undoubtedly draw interest.

I think it's going to go up even further after Xmas Switch system and Mario Odyssey software sales blow the charts out.

#1319 6 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Software sales won't be blowing any charts out until Nintendo can get more switches into the hands of gamers. I wanted to play Zelda but will not jump through hoops to buy a system (nor buy the stupid bundles gamestop pushes for preorders). Zelda is already becoming old news, and they'll lose sales as people move on to systems and games they can actually buy at the store.

Zelda is incredible and people will still be buying it for years. They've already sold more Zeldas than Switches!!!

Some of the GameStop bundles aren't bad. I think there's one with Zelda, Zelda DLC, ARMS & Mario Kart - that's all stuff I bought. If I didn't have a Switch yet, I'd get that bundle.

#1324 6 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Any idea if that Star Fox 2 version is any different than the other ROMs floating around?

Yes. It's complete. The roms out there are early test versions that have been fan hacked to work better.

So how long till hackers extract the Star Fox 2 code and put it on an snes cart to play on an og snes?

To do this, they'd need a donor SFX cart. Unfortunately the Everdrive cannot play SFX games and SD2SNES might in the future, but currently can't.

#1350 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Yeah, even joycons on ARMS is eh. THe pro controller on wiiu was great too. Hey if you get the wiiu usb gamecube adapter you can use GCN controllers on the switch while docked!

Omg I love the Joy Cons for ARMS. I tried playing it with the Pro control and I just couldn't do it - Joy Con motion is so satisfying, so responsive ...I just love it.

#1356 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

oh, ya I dont do motion control.

Try it for ARMS...to me, that IS the game...it's made for that control style and it's so satisfying and so fun to "really" throw the punches and "really" block...and - it's the only way to individually curve the punches - you can't do that in regular control mode.

I'm doing relatively well in the ranked matches...and I'm using motion controls 100%. So much of the strategy is when you jump and dash...and having those on each thumb allows me to control the characters so much better than with regular controls.

#1358 6 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Just get one of these $25 AliExpress component out or svideo.
And it plays every SNES game.
And the zoga NES toploader Has famicom port
Inside so you can put a multicart in it. And it will still play regular NES carts.
$30 with a 100 best NES cart. $10 more for better original NES joysticks. A $5 component to HDMI.
And you have a $45 NES classic that has more built in games. Game saves with battery, and can play original carts too.

Those clones look like garbage. I'm currently using my original SNES with RGB SCART cables into a Framemeister, and upscaling to 720p with Scanlines. Looks incredible & can play everything. However - I like using the SD2SNES cart in the system, which plays almost everything except FX chip games and a few others...so - the only way I'm playing Starfox 2 is on the SNES Classic Mini, or when someone rips the ROM and hacks a SFX cart with the ROM.

For NES games, I have a RetroUSB AVS & an Everdrive cart. Every game ever, and looks/plays better than the NES Classic...still - as a Nintendo fan, I like original Nintendo crap...so even though I don't need a NES or SNES Classic...I still want them!

#1360 6 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Actually a side by side comparison the clones with a HDMI converter look a tiny bit better than the original nes or snes. And the cheap chinese SNES clone has Svideo out. So it will do scart too and plays SF chip games.
Don't knock a super cheap alternative.
And Star fox 2 is available on many online cart sites. Price ranges from $40-70
Or just use a raspberry Pi. And have a complete NES and SNES library in HD for $50 or less + usb controllers.
Just the first Link I found to Star fox 2 carts
http://www.shopflashbackgames.com/mobile.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&keyword=Star+fox+2&x=37&y=12&categories_id=&inc_subcat=1&search_in_description=1

Sorry, a clone with s-video converted to hdmi is not going to look better than native RGB upconverted through HDMI. S-video outputs have nothing to do with SCART.

It's not going to look better than an AVS.

A Pi (emulation) is not going to play better than an AVS (FPGA).

Starfox 2 bootlegs are incomplete games. The Starfox 2 being released on the SNES Classic is the first time the finished game has been released.

Anyway - I'm mostly an original hardware fan...I don't like clones or emu-boxes. RetroUSB AVS made me a fan of FPGA consoles, though - everything is extremely accurate.

#1367 6 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Thanks. I'm on the fence about getting one. Playing with joycons simply doesn't work, but I don't really want to hand over more money to Nintendo just because the included hardware was so poorly designed.

It's not poorly designed. Some launch joycons had defects. Nintendo will replace it if you contact them. I've never had a prob with mine. Been playing ARMS non stop with joycon motion - never had an issue.

#1368 6 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Are you sure it's not the one that's out there?
And who said it's going to be different?
Did Nintendo say they worked on it, and finished it 100% from the last revision? (Final)
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/snes/patches/829readme.txt
Because by all reports online even the original programmer doesn't know what it will be getting.
And said he finished it in 2015
And Svideo has nothing to do with SCART?
True, not exactly. But it actually does.

A scart adaptor isn't going to give you true rgb. It just adapts the svideo signal.

Read up on current Nintendo news. He original programmer confirmed the game was finished but never released. The one Nintendo is going to release on the SNES Classic is complete and different than the roms out there currently.

#1369 6 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Yea, FPGA is nice, although the Analogue is a much more versatile system than the retrousb.

Yeah the NT looks killer...but I already had an AVS when the NT Mini came out, and it suits my needs.

Quoted from metallik:

I picked up a framemeister early this year and found it to be pretty cool, but there's still a bit of lag, and it just doesn't look that great, even with simulated scanlines. LCD blur sucks, even on a 60hz projector (120+hz blurs worse as it interploates the missing frames).

I'm using the Framemeister on an Epson 5030ub projector, and it looks absolutely gorgeous. There's no blur and no discernible lag when I put the projector in "Fast" (game) mode. The Framemeister has SOOOO many settings...maybe you need to monkey around with it a bit? For example, scanlines look shitty in 1080p but in 720p they look perfect. Are you on the most current firmware?

Quoted from metallik:

Gotta do this right, so I grabbed a 36" Sony Wega 240P TV from the local thrift ($5) and setup a retro station... SNES, Genesis (RGB) and Atari 800... it kicked enough ass that I snagged a second set (another $5) for PSX, Turbo Duo an an Analogue NT Mini FPGA system with Kevtris's jailbreak code. Over a dozen classic systems, perfectly recreated in hardware, NO lag and sweet RGB output.

That's awesome...that looks like my old TV that I basically threw out years ago, before getting back into the retro scene. While I'm more than happy with how Framemeister, AVS, and UltraHDMI (N64) look on my home theater setup, I kinda do wanna have a CRT around now...if anything, for lightgun games.

I found a 27 inch Toshiba with S-Video & Component inputs on the street near my house the other day...brought it home but it cycles on/off/on/off/on/off when you try to power it on. Wonder if it's an easy fix...

1 week later
#1375 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I snagged a cable for my genesis oh. my. gosh. is that a crisp ass picture now However what was weird was sonic 2 wouldn't boot, but nba jam did. I looked at their website and they even state sonic 2 may not work...wtf?

Sonic 2 has some problems on some setups because of the 2p split screen mode...it plays in a funky higher resolution. It should boot, though...just look screwed up in 2p mode.

1 week later
#1382 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Did anyone manage to get in on the SNES Classic online preorder from Walmart that was up briefly last night?

I was swimming when it went up - the ONE thing I'd be doing where I wouldn't have my phone on me. My friend got 2 tho, 1 for me! (As long as they don't cancel his order)

#1387 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Starcade, the '80s TV show that had participants compete in arcade video games, will be back by the end of August. No, not as a reboot, which is in the works, but as a Twitch marathon. The video gaming platform has teamed up with Shout! Factory, the studio that acquired the rights to create the reboot, to stream all 123 episodes of the original show. Starcade ran from 1982 to 1984 on TBS and featured arcade classics like Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Galaga and Centipede.
If you want to get an idea of what the show is all about, keep an eye out for the exact date when the stream will begin on Shout! Factory's Twitch channel. That's where all the episodes will be shown and where the platform streamed its Mystery Science Theater 3000 marathon in late June. While you can easily watch some of the episodes on YouTube, the partners promise better copies than any of the blurry recordings you can find. They digitized episodes from the original master tapes to "ensure the best quality possible."

I wish I could give you 8 billion upvotes for posting this.

I loved Starcade when I was a kid, and my favorite show on G4. When they stopped playing it, that was the end of G4 for me.

#1391 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Yes! It is good!!!
I recently picked up another copy of toe jam and earl, so much fun , I had lost my previous copy, glad I found another almost mint

Great games - still had mine from when I was younger....sold it all, and just use my Everdrive now! Sweet sweet simplicity.

#1397 6 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

now I need to RGB mod my 64

Go all the way - UltraHDMI is incredible!

1 month later
#1456 6 years ago

Nah. lol

WTF is the point of a $100 repro of one of the most common carts of all time, and not even the best SNES version of Street Fighter? Calling 5500 "limited"?

I know the guy who made this thing, and I still think it's bullshit lol

#1465 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

I think it's cool shit...to each his own. It's more of a collectible.

It's a fake collectible, like a Stern LE....but perhaps even more useless since MILLIONS of SF2 carts exist.

1 week later
#1480 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I'm into 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit, and every other bit too, but damn me if I were chase these "machines" around for some of the exorbitant prices people are asking for. Just wondering what people were thinking

Original hardware is 100%. Emulation is not. Retro gamers want games to play and sound exactly like they should. Emulators can have lag or performance issues. Sound can be different. Many gamers like to sit in front of their TV with the real controller, not in front of a computer with a fake pad.

#1484 6 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Aren't these Classic Editions emulators too anyways?

Yup...I don't want them for my main gaming purposes - but cuz they're cute & official Nintendo product. Although I love that Starfox 2 is on the SNES mini. That's awesome.

#1491 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

LOL. whatever floats your boat man. Emulators, as far as I have played, play 100%.

They're not. Might be good enough for you, and that's fine...but there are often subtle timing issues and lag. Precise platformers are often less responsive when playing on emulators vs. real hardware. Just a few frames/milliseconds makes a difference.

Quoted from FatPanda:

Many games which would not even be available stateside, all of which are available on the webs.

All of which can be played on original consoles with an Everdrive. I have Everdrives for all my consoles, so I have access to every game ever made just as you do.

Quoted from FatPanda:

I have plenty of fun with my PC connected to my 52in playing wirelessly with my X360 controller, on my couch.

You don't notice the lag. That works for you. Doesn't work for others.

Quoted from FatPanda:

No need to get defensive, and no need to be snotty by assuming that I'm not a "retro gamer that needs 100% original hardware.

Not defensive or snotty. You asked a question about why people chase around expensive original stuff. I gave you an answer, with facts. If you're confusing actual information as an attack, that's on you. Play games however the fuck you want. I don't care.

1 week later
#1500 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

from what I'm hearing, stores should have at least as many snes classic systems for walk-in customers as what they offered for pre-orders
I've also heard that many of the big box stores (best buy, target, walmart) could have as many as 60-100 systems available for walk-in customers on friday
4 more days!!

Yeah I checked the inventory checker sites before Target took their numbers down, and some stores near me were showing over a hundred units per store...some with 250!!!!!!I think if I get there a little early, it should be fine even if there's a line.

#1504 6 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

Just judging from past experiences with Nintendo, if they have more than 20 per store I'll be shocked. But if those early numbers from Target are accurate that would be cool. I just don't see Nintendo changing their ways after all these years. I still remember trying to get a copy of Super Mario Bros. 2 and Zelda 2 before Christmas that year!

Already confirmed from Target employees...many stores getting 100-300 on Friday, and more units shipping to stores in 2 weeks. Nintendo has learned from the NES Classic debacle. They understand the nostalgia/retro market now. They're making enough of these to meet demand this time, and NES Classic is coming back next year.

#1505 6 years ago

500 at one store in Canada!!!

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 3.07.25 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-09-26 at 3.07.25 PM (resized).png

#1508 6 years ago

AGREED! But if you aren't playing it on this bad boy than you are doing it wrong

I was SO tempted to get that - but I already have the red New XL. I actually prefer playing on my New "regular" sized 3DS with the removable faceplates. It's lighter, fits in the pocket better, and I like the "matte" feel of i compared to the XL's glossy feel.

3DS.jpeg3DS.jpeg

#1510 6 years ago

I have the red XL too but it's getting passed down to my son for his bday so it was a good reason to get the SAMUS version. I prefer the XL as it's bigger and fits my hands better so that works for me.

Yeah, they both have pros and cons. XL fits my hands better too...but there's something about the lightness of the regular that makes it seems like it fits my hands more than it should...it's like it's floating in my hands or something. I dunno, like I said - I've got both. I wish I could have the same account on both, but since I still buy games on carts & the the games save to the carts, I can put Metroid in either system depending on my mood.

#1512 6 years ago

The UK Pre-order that I placed over the summer has shipped! I thought it would get cancelled for sure...woop woop!
I'm still gonna get up early tomorrow to try to snag a U.S. version, tho.

Snesmini (resized).jpgSnesmini (resized).jpg

#1514 6 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

lucky!! haha... im going to be camping out at my local target in the wee hours tomorrow morning (maybe even midnight tonight).
someone reported in the san diego area that 2 best buys already have over 20 people camping out

Shiiit - well, check the store stock websites tonite. Some of Target's stock was up on them before getting taken down - should be back up tonite, though. The 7am Target near me is getting 100...the 8am Target near me is getting about 150...another Target slightly down the road is getting 250 ...so I'm not gonna fucking camp out like a maniac - but I'll get there a bit early tomorrow and I think it'll be fine.

https://www.zoolert.com/target-inventory-checker/?ic=207-29-7001

#1543 6 years ago

Last nite Nimblepin and some other friends were texting me about getting in line and camping out....no way I was gonna do that, but hey - he survived!

I had looked up the stock numbers when they were up on Brickseek earlier in the week and had my plan. Burbank Target had about 100 and opened at 7am, so my plan was to get there at 6am...my friend got there at 4:45 and was #76 in line...so, Burbank was out. According to Brickseek, Pacoima Target had 250 units..so - I headed there...got there around 6, was #47 in line. Everyone was super chill. The line built to 100 or so & Target employees confirmed the 250 stock number. They had 4 registers ringing people up, I was outta there by 8:10!

As I left, I got a text from the Amazon Treasure Truck...and bought another cuz I know I'd have a friend who's morning got boned - sure enough, a guy at work waited at a Target and didn't get one....so - he's getting my Amazon one!

I can't believe how small and cute it is!!!!

I just plugged it in at work to try it out...wow, it's a phenomenal little package. The CRT Scanline mode looks FANATASTIC! They didn't put the "shit filter" on it like with the NES Classic...it looks like good RGB on a CRT! I tried the other modes but they're too "sharp" and fake looking...CRT is the way to go. I love all the borders you can choose. No discernible lag from what I can tell after playing some Punch-Out, DKC, and Yoshi. Unlocked Starfox 2, but gonna wait till I get home to play it.

Can't wait to hack it and add all my favorites that weren't included!

SNES_GET (resized).jpgSNES_GET (resized).jpg
SNES Comp (resized).jpgSNES Comp (resized).jpg

#1547 6 years ago

really happy with how nice the box is. really classic look and great art and quality. not like those sega or atari console boxes that look cheap and lame imo

Yeah, this is definitely the best and highest quality "Plug 'n Play" that's ever been made. Sega just licenses their IP out for ATgames to make shitty Plug 'n Plays with...imagine if they made it themselves and upped the quality.

Quoted from Darscot:

Man the scalpers are going all out on this thing. Pages and pages on my local craigslist. I really hope this stocks regularly and is not profitable for them. Maybe then it will be on the shelve instead of being hoarded.

Buncha dicks...I wonder how much of something Nintendo would have to make to deter scalpers. Even though Targets had a ton today, I'm already hearing stories from friends who went all over and couldn't find one...

If they keep restocking with numbers like today, scalpers are gonna just be sitting on boxes.

#1549 6 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Stopped in about 1pm for my lunch to get other stuff, and overheard our Target sold out in 20 mins.

Well you still had to get there early..by a "ton" I mean, enough for people who got there early. I wish there were enough to sit on the shelves for people to just walk in and get it...but we're still fighting high demand and scalpers. That being said, it was better than the NES Classic launch...most stores got 6 or 12 per store. Seems like even lower stocked Targets got 40-60 units. Some as many as 300!

#1551 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

my local best buy had 140 and it took them over 4 hours to sell out. Nintendo said stores will be getting restocked within two weeks with more.

Boom.

I'd love to have been a fly on the way at the meeting where Reggie screamed at the Japanese side and said "MAKE 10 MILLION OF THESE THINGS, YOU YEN-HATING FUCKS!"

#1555 6 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

It will be nice to re-visit all these great games with (hopefully) no stutter/slowdown or lag. (Looking at you Castlevania IV’s spinning room!)

It's emulating the original system, not improving on it. If the original game had slowdown, it will still be there.

2 weeks later
#1575 6 years ago

Hey, did you guys see the announcement of the Analogue Super NT, a FPGA-based HDMI SNES "clone"?

I've got an original SNES & Framemeister, so I don't really *need* this....but - I love the RetroUSB AVS, an FPGA HDMI NES...so - I'm ordering one of these! Going straight from HDMI is always better than an upscaler, IMO, even though I love the Framemeister....and I'm a true believer in the FPGA experience for classic consoles!

Hopefully there will be jailbreak code on it like there was with Analogue's NT Mini...with that official/unofficial code, you could play games off the system directly from multiple consoles.

I also love transparent consoles lol...so, guess which one I ordered.

https://www.analogue.co/pages/super-nt/

Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 12.33.51 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-10-17 at 12.33.51 PM (resized).png

1 week later
#1584 6 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

super pumped for this game! we did the amazon prime preorder and saved 12 bucks...
also got lucky last week and finally scored a SNES MINI with the target restock (across the street from my work).

I did the Amazon pre-order, but buckled and bought digitally. Pre-loaded and ready to go at 9PM tonight!!!

I'll just sell my Amazon one when it shows up lol...

I've struggled with the cartridges vs. digital thing with the Switch since I got it....but I know I would never sell this game - I like the idea that it's permanently embedded into my Switch. I think I'll continue to buy carts for games that I might want to sell in the future....but Mario is forever.

#1590 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Nintendo really bounced back with the Switch. I'm still annoyed that they're doing their trademark "restrict the supply to artificially increase demand,"

Are they? I walked into Target this weekend and they had a Neon system, a few grey ones, and a bunch of Mario bundles w/ the red Joy-Cons.

I think they're doing better than usual.

#1595 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

LA Noire has been re-released for the PS4, Xbox One, and Switch with 4K support for all but the latter. I've heard it's a good game, but never played it. This looks like a good time to pick it up.

Is L.A. Noire considered "retro" now?

#1597 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Hahaha, that looks to be so! This generation of gaming systems has seem more re-releases than any other previous generation that I can think of. I guess that's a good thing? I'd personally rather see devs spend time on brand new games, but beggars can't be choosers. I mean, I never really complained about the resolution of games in the past, which is really all these new consoles improve on. I wish they'd focus on framerate more than pushing for high resolutions though.

I do think resolution and texture improvements can really benefit great early polygon games that just look dated as F now. I don't think early polygon games hold up the way 240p sprite games do. I loved Zelda Windwaker & Twilight Princess HD remakes...I'd be all for Gamecube & Wii era games re-released in HD.

L.A. Noire was already a PS3 era game @ 1080p ....it doesn't look that different now, IMO.

#1604 6 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Just picked this up. Now I can play Rondo of Blood in a language I don't understand, with a controller cable too short for my American home!

I did that on the Wii eShop years ago! With a wireless Wiimote!

1 week later
#1622 6 years ago

looks like sonic mania is gonna get a physical release for at least Switch which im stoked about.
http://n4g.com/news/2119389/sonic-mania-physical-release-coming-soon

I hate when physical releases are announced so far after the digital release. I already bought it digitally, so I'm out no matter what.

#1629 6 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

Rondo of Blood is such a amazing game.
really do wish i never sold my turbo duo and rondo years back (when i was spending all my console sales $$ on arcades/pinballs)

If you still have a Wii or Wii U, you can buy Rondo on the Wii's Virtual Console for pretty cheap.

1 week later
#1640 6 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I think we're on the waning edge of NES/SNES nostalgia.

I don't think so. The games and their IP have stood the test of time. It's more than nostalgia, the games are actually still great. Older consoles like Atari aren't as desirable because they were never that good in the first place. When I was 7 or 8 and Atari was the only thing we had, I thought it sucked as the games were never as good as the arcades. A character like Donkey Kong looked like a purple robot on Atari...but on NES he looked exactly like a recognizable cartoon character - and still does today.

Quoted from benheck:

It's time to cash out on any valuable games I got back in the 90s for a song.

That's what I did. As much as I love my old games, I was fine decluttering and just using Everdrives. When people were offering me $400 a pop for a single SNES game.....byyyeeeeeeeee. I still have all my CIB GBA games to sell.

5 months later
#1731 5 years ago

not worth $100 but I think its cool things like this get made. Wonder if they will start on fire like the SFII cart said it might happen hah.
Looks like the SFII ones sell for right around the $100 retail cost, some listed higher but most sales are from 80-110ish
https://store.iam8bit.com/collections/mega-man-cartridge-collection/products/mega-man-2-30th-anniversary-classic-cartridge
https://store.iam8bit.com/collections/mega-man-cartridge-collection/products/mega-man-x-30th-anniversary-classic-cartridge

Honestly I think it's a bunch of opportunistic bullshit, counting on "collector" hype-beasts to make easy money. If they all sell, that's $1.7 mil ...for a "fake collectible". Wish I thought of it first lol! ....but srsly, I don't understand why they'd remake common games that were manufactured in the millions, and why any "collector" would give a shit about what's essentially a licensed bootleg. How the F is 8500 "limited"?!?! I dunno...just unreal that there's a market for something this unnecessary.

It would be much more interesting if they made games that were never released or translated...or make a SNES version of "Ultra Street Fighter 2" with Evil Ryu and Violent Ken. New SNES games that never were...that's far more interesting and has some value, IMO.

#1733 5 years ago

Neat that they are doing this, but doesn't seem worth it to me when you can still find nice complete in box copies of both the originals for $100 or less.

If you're gonna buy something non-authentic, just get a friggin' Everdrive for about $100.

Then you have every game ever made ever. DONE.

4 weeks later
#1742 5 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

Is there anywhere you can grab a recommendation for each platform of console? My console collection is strong, but my game collection is only strong on certain consoles (and I doubt I want to complete that Atari Jaguar collection anytime soon). I saw the Everdrive listed above on N64 - other platforms?
Also - if anyone has a Keio Flying Squadron copy for Sega CD for a fair price, I'm that close to completing my Sega cd collection. Will have some pics to follow later. (in process of moving)

Everdrive does NES, SNES, Sega MS, Game Gear, Gameboy, GBA, Genesis, Turbografx, N64. Other peeps make flash carts for Atari, Neo Geo, Lynx, and others I’m prob forgetting about.

Boom, instant collections for all that stuff.

#1745 5 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

Turbo Grafx... you just said the magic word. Most of my consoles have somewhat of a respectable collection (I'm just a shade under 2k game wise) - but TG16 has always been ridiculously priced to collect anything other than a few basics. I'm going to check this out right now. Thanks dudes.

There’s also a new thing for Turbo called the Super CD System 3, which allows you to play HuCard & CD-ROM games off a sD card...and the unit also allows for RGB out! A friend brought it over last week and it’s really cool to play all the CD games with CD sound, but no CDs! There was a slight sound hiss though that seems to come from the unit reading the SD as though it was a CD...but when you’re in gameplay it’s not really noticeable. Anyway, it’s anothwr option if you wanna play Turbo/PC-Engine CD games.

3 months later
#1778 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

*AC adaptor sold separately
Oh yeah, that's dumb. There's going to be A LOT of upset people because they're using the old charger that came with whatever they bought and had been stuck in a junk drawer for years, and don't realize how under powered it is.

It's powered by USB, just like the NES and SNES minis. Most people can plug the USB right into their TV or AV Receiver for power...or an iPhone USB plug. It's a non-issue.

#1780 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Only, if it can't produce enough power, it causes issues, just like the Raspberry Pi needs a good USB power supply. Use a cheap one, and the thing will lock up. I'm going to guess, this will be no different. It's not like charging a battery, where it will still charge but just take longer.

I don't think they'd do this if it needed something specific. I've used the SNES and NES minis on cheap and generic USB power supplies and they're fine.

#1784 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

And while I'm on a nostalgic trip, I wish I had my old system back. I bought it in '98 I think. I modded it up. I replaced the case with a transparent blue one, which means somewhere back at my parents place, I still have the original grey case almost like new in a box somewhere. And I also added a mod chip to be able to play copied games. Even official Japan imports. The game store I sold the system to were stoked when they were able to play one of their import games on it.

I did the same exact thing! Mine has a clear turquoise case & I region-free modded it. I still have it, but the laser is a bit finicky. I’ve been meaning to replace it but I’ve been lazy about looking into the best way to do so.

#1786 5 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

You can buy a whole new assembly for $14-$24 bucks on ebay. The ones near the top of the range usually have better reviews. It's simple to replace. (6) screws for the cover to come off. The assembly is just resting on 3 rubber grommets. Unplug the power and ribbon cables and replace with the new assembly. The process will take about 10 minutes if you've never done it before. 5 if you have and realize how easy it is. You can replace just the laser, but that is a pain and for all the trouble that is, it's a lot better to spend a few extra bucks and just get the drop-in replacement.

Yeah, that's exactly what I wanna do! I think when I started looking into it, there were different assemblies for different serial numbers & models and whatnot, and I put it in the "rainy day" file...lol.

I have an original American launch PS1 ...if you have a link to the right thing that I need, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

3 weeks later
#1832 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Who all is going to Portland next weekend? Great show, but I still haven't beat Rondo of Blood I bought last year!

Skipping it this year, but only cuz I'll be in Portland in December to get hitched!

Have fun!

1 week later
#1837 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I'm at the PRGE this weekend, and the keynote is about a new Intellivision coming...
The main "revolution" about it is the concept of the game software and giving it general/family appeal. He has licenses for many of the Intellivision titles and will revise them too. We got to see the first showing of the promotional video, which will be public on Monday. Some odd things about it, like he apparently liked the original controllers and kept the disc, although it also has motion control. Also, near the end... coming 2020? What's with all the hoopla reveal now? I thought it was imminent, that was a real let down. Also seems dumb to reveal all your plans and concepts to possible competition. Still an interesting curiosity to keep an eye on.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/10/21/intellivision-reveals-their-amico-console-at-portland-retro-gaming-expo/
https://liliputing.com/2018/10/he-new-intellivision-amico-retro-style-game-console-on-the-way-for-under-180.html

Guarantee it never sees the light of day...and if it does - fizzle. Just like the attempts at Coleco or Atari branded stuff. Those brands mean nothing to modern gamers. Only Nintendo’s brand holds retro weight.

#1843 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Tommy Tallarico is behind the new intellavision console. He has enough of a history in game design and new company start ups that I give him the benefit of the doubt. He’s a master in video game music, he brought us G4 tech tv, and the stage show Video Games Live. I’ll give it a chance before I “nay say”.

He's also got a huge ego and could bullshit investors (and himself) into thinking this is a good idea. It's not.

-Intellivision means nothing to most gamers.
-WTF is "Amico"?
-If you actually want to play Intellivision games, you can.
-All current platforms can literally do ANYTHING with 2D gaming...there's nothing new this will offer

This is another Ouya, with an irrelevant retro brand attached to it.

#1848 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

He mentioned it in his talk, it's Italian for "friend". I was thinking, it's been done... Amiga, anyone?

It's also FAMICOM without the F & M

#1852 5 years ago

saw this today, yeah not super excited for it. no RE2? did people play jumping flash or mr driller? never even heard some of those...

I loved Jumping Flash & Mr. Driller! ...but I had Mr. Driller on Dreamcast.

#1853 5 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Sweet, excited to relive Twisted Metal and Final Fantasy.
I need to figure out a better way to have my NES Classic, Super NES Classic, and PSX Classic all hooked up and easily accessible. Some kind of HDMI switcher.

I got a pretty basic HDMI "multi-tap" on Amazon a while back...it automatically switches to the input of the device that's turned on, so you don't even have to manually switch.

1 week later
#1883 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Maybe it's already been mentioned on here but if you're a fan of the Castlevania series you MUST watch the new show on Netflix!
It's basically the characters of Castlevania 3 with the backstory and motivations from Symphony of the Night. Easily the best video game adaption by a country mile.

It's excellent & very faithful to the Konami art style as well. My only complaint is that they don't use the iconic game music at all in the score. Not sure if there was a rights issue or if it was a creative decision, but it's a bit of a bummer...those soundtracks and certain classic riffs are the soul of Castlevania.

#1885 5 years ago
Quoted from akm:

That said, Bloody Tears is featured pretty heavily near the end of Season 2.

Oh good - I only watched the first ep of season 2 so far.

#1888 5 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

I watched it and last season cause im a castlevania fan. But laughed my ass off when my brother in law who isn't a gamer was telling me about it without know it was a game series. I took him straight to my Nintendo made him play.
he denies its anime because he's to manly lol
He really liked it and binged the series without knowing it was a game. Which is pretty cool and shows how good it is.

Well, it is produced in the US which I guess technically makes it not “anime” in the traditional sense of being produced in Japan.

2 weeks later
#1917 5 years ago

Open source emulation, no rumble, half the games are the PAL versions for some reason...what a piece of trash. Glad I cancelled my order.

#1923 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It really seems like it's a farmed out 3rd party project.
I maintain you could get a real PS1 and a pile of games for $100 - they're not remotely as expensive as NES/SNES thus reducing value proposition.

The main gist of these minis is easy HDMI play for classic consoles & convenience of a nice curated collection (and the cute factor). That being said you can play PS1 games physically or digitally on a PS3 with hdmi, digitally on PS4.

#1925 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I canceled my pre-order. I kinda wanted it for a shelf display, but need to save money instead. I'll wait and see if these go to the clearance section next year.

...or if someone hacks it with a bevy of options & improves the thing entirely.

#1928 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

ps2 also had ps1 play with those little enhancements incase no ps3 was around.

No HDMI on PS2.

#1936 5 years ago

An early PSX (model 1000, 1001, and 1002) has a really good sound processor chip, so people have been using them as audiophile quality CD player. These ones are hard to find, and can be $100. But it’s is a win-win situation if you get a good one.

I just picked one up for $10. Has a skippy laser tho.

#1937 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Mmmm, yes good point. I think they make component though? Hdmi is ultra convenient though

Yeah I’ve got RGB for my PS1 & 2...but most consumers don’t understand any of that, and plug n play with HDMI is an attractive feature.

#1945 5 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

You can get replacement drives for most models.

I’ve heard the Chinese replacements are crap - so I bought the $10 PS to put its laser in my own PS with a skippy laser...but now I have 2 with bad lasers. I guess I’ll just try some replacement drives....anyone have recommendations for quality ones?

3 weeks later
#1992 5 years ago

I don’t think we’ll see a n64 classic for a while. Furthermore it won’t have Rare games, those licenses are owned by Microsoft, it would be a nightmare to get the games people want.
No goldeneye, perfect dark, killer instinct, banjo-kazooie, Diddy Kong racing, Donkey Kong 64. No thanks.

It could absolutely have DK games, those are Nintendo’s IP - Rare was the contract development house. DK Country is on the SNES Classic.

Rare’s games are overrated by Nintendo fan standards anyway. N64 would do great with only the 1st party titles:

Smash Bros, Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Paper Mario, Mario Party 1/2/3, Dr. Mario 64, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Zelda OOT, Zelda Majora, Kirby Crystal Shards, F-Zero, Wave Race, Pilot Wings, Star Fox 64, DK64, Diddy Racing, Yoshi’s Story, 1080 Snowboarding, Blast Corp, Pokemon games, Pokemon Puzzle League, Excitebike 64

2 weeks later
#2009 5 years ago

I just binged the 12 eps of Hi Score Girl on Netflix...I think any retro gamer will love it! All real game footage, systems, tons of hilarious dialog and gaming references that are clearly written by a hardcore gamer who was there in the 80s and 90s.

1 month later
#2026 5 years ago

You guys see the leaks of the live-action movie Sonic? Looks like Will Smith Genie fucked a Critter.

Sanic.jpgSanic.jpg
2 months later
#2069 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I did have the very first GBA in that translucent pinkish color. And remember that screen being terrible to see. But loved the SP as it folded up to protect the screen, but really have no memory of the screen being good or bad. May have just been the best at that time, and wasn't used to how screens are today. HA!

There are two models of SP. The first has a frontlit screen, the second has a brilliant backlit screen (AGS-101)

1 week later
#2088 4 years ago

I’m a little worried that it won’t be hackable, and that I won’t be able to add more games

If that’s your concern, just skip this & get an Analogue Mega SG & update it with the jailbreak firmware. It’s Sega Genesis HDMI NO-lag perfection. With the custom firmware, you can put every Genesis/Mega Drive game ever on an SD card...and also Master System, Game Gear, Colecovision & SG-1000 games!

2 months later
#2119 4 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Looks like the Amico is still on track.

That trailer is hilarious. Tommy basically describes the Nintendo Switch...which EXISTS already.

I have no idea who this is for. Almost no one has nostalgia for Intellivision or their IP, and casual gamers have tons of options already. The whole "families and casual gamers are LOST...we will SAVE THEM!" pitch is delusional.

#2129 4 years ago

I look at this as kinda a secondary system, also it’s like they’re trying to rekindle some of the wii’s Magic of having people play together in one room.
I used to own a PS3 for watching movies and playing Triple A games, but I also owned a Wii so that we could bowl when mom came over, to we could box out some energy after a shitty day at work. My wife created a mii character of her boss just for that reason.
This Intellivision won’t be a flagship console. Just a secondary system to play unique games on, and since the games are all exclusive, they might move a couple of consoles.

That's exactly what Switch is. Hardcores have a PC, XBox1, or PS4 for the big 4k super duper hardcore realism complex games. Switch is the cuter, simpler, family, multiplayer with friends and family console. It's the already the "secondary" system for most.

4 weeks later
#2132 4 years ago

I fell into the NES & SNES mini hype fun, but the truth is I barely played them as I have better ways of playing those games. I have an Analogue Mega SG for perfect HDMI Genesis, so I’m gonna pass on the Genesis Mini for now. Maybe if it’s on sale for cheapie cheap in the future.

#2135 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I’ve been close to ordering a mega SG. Hmmmm. Sega genesis is my all time favorite. I have many of my original carts from the early nineties.

It’s absolute perfection. No lag. Perfect visuals and sound. Visuals & Sound are customizable in a ton of ways. You can play your carts on it, or you can run custom firmware and play Genesis, Master System, Game Gear, and others off an SD card.

1 month later
#2160 4 years ago

Even though it got so-so reviews, part of me still wanted a Neo Geo Mini. When I was a kid, I loved those little table top arcade games even though they were super basic....having 40 high quality Neo Geo games on a tabletop seemed neat. I noticed that the clear blue Samurai Showdown “limited edition” was on sale for $94 down from $140 on Amazon. It comes with blue Neo Geo branded USB power, HDMI, 2 controllers & some other goodies. So, I bit a few days ago. (As of this writing, it’s down to $92)

While the reviews are correct, the HDMI out sucks & the stick/pads are a bit goofy, I love this thing as just a cute desktop arcade. The screen on the unit is incredible. I’ve been playing it a bunch & having fun with the game selection. This version has every Samurai Showdown, and some games like League Bowling that aren’t on the other variants.

I connected mine to portable charger...I left it on all day & it barely used any juice. Too bad they didn’t put a rechargeable battery in this thing.

Anyone else pick up one of these? I didn’t want it at $140, but under $100 seemed worth it! If the HDMI out didn’t totally suck, these things would be epic.
B9203EFA-0DB4-4FB5-B5CA-46CE7B650CD6.jpegB9203EFA-0DB4-4FB5-B5CA-46CE7B650CD6.jpeg5CF8D237-E121-4E2E-B0B3-CEA37F523D50.jpeg5CF8D237-E121-4E2E-B0B3-CEA37F523D50.jpeg2DB271D6-9C4D-4514-83EB-F7F7BBD809FB.jpeg2DB271D6-9C4D-4514-83EB-F7F7BBD809FB.jpegBE2FB900-B403-45B0-8086-6A44C9EB42AD.jpegBE2FB900-B403-45B0-8086-6A44C9EB42AD.jpegBCFC4AC7-B67D-41B9-81B0-C841B0C240BE.jpegBCFC4AC7-B67D-41B9-81B0-C841B0C240BE.jpeg

1 month later
#2165 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Rarehero the Neo Geo Mini is down to $71 on Amazon.
I bought one for a modding project last year. Pretty good emulation, pixel scaling done very well... Biggest negative is its fixed in "no blood" mode and also AES mode which means finite # of credits. Also it's a standard modern analog joystick not a clicky digital one.
It has a Linux serial port on the MB so I'm sure it's been good and hacked by now.

I have the Sam Sho edition I got on sale - and also the regular US version when it was $50 at New Egg. Are you saying your can mod it to look pixel sharp with HDMI out instead of the stock blurry mess?! Do tell!

Currently the Japanese Red/White/Blue shell with US games lineup version is on sale for $79 with two controllers...because I’m dumb, I’m tempted to get that too lol.

1 month later
#2210 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Signed. Thanks for the heads up. I was never really an NES guy, but I might grab one of those and a everdrive if they make them again.

Just get a RetroUSB AVS. Fantastic FPGA NES unit, and less than $200.

#2212 4 years ago
Quoted from akm:

The other is being able to jailbreak the NT Mini and add other console cores to it. This turns it into a Sega Master System, Game Gear, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Colecovision, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, among others. You can also load ROMs from the SD card

Since all of Analogue’s FPGA systems are essentially the same guts, is there any reason the Super NT couldn’t have NES & Gameboy cores added in jailbreak firmware?

1 week later
#2220 4 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Picked up a TG-16 recently. I'll be taking out a second mortgage to buy some games for it.[quoted image]

Just get a Turbo Everdrive. One and done, every game ever on one cart.

Or, the TerraOnion Super SD attachment. It can play every card & CD game.

2F090D9F-25A0-4D88-B492-A023B422E12F.jpeg2F090D9F-25A0-4D88-B492-A023B422E12F.jpeg
9 months later
#2475 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Grabbed it new for $20 back in the day because it looked like Parodius. Unfortunately it wasn't nearly as good as Parodius, but at least I can get my money back if I sell it... [quoted image]

That sells for pinball money these days. You could prob get $2k-$3k for it.

If you guys wanna dip into Sega CD without wrestling with crazy collector prices, you can play Sega CD games on the Everdrive Pro or TerraOnion MegaSD...don’t even need a Sega CD attachment....they play off the cart perfectly.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nes-classic-edition-unobtainium?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.