DSC_4700 (resized).JPG
DSC_4699 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240405_080331 (resized).jpg
_20240411_210104 (resized).JPG
DSC_4645 (resized).JPG
DSC_4642 (resized).JPG
DSC_4626 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luckydogg420.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#295 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I disagree. Any lag experienced is based on the tv not the nes mini.
Remember to check your tv settings and if you can disable any delay and force it to 720p. Older tv's may work better as all the new ones force upscaling and other things via the processor and it being "smart"

When I built my virtual pin I did a lot of research into game lag, because a millisecond makes a huge difference in pinball. The problem is the TV processing the signal. The fastest computer in the world will still have lag if the monitor delays the signal. You want a tv with a game mode. Nothing fancy, 60hz, no effects, no quatron colour or any other gimmicks that the manufacturer includes.

There's only a couple builders of LCD panels but the computing components in the TV can make a huge difference. For years sony and Samsung shared a LCD panel factory and both had the same panel but the sony had faster hardware and software running it.

2 weeks later
#421 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Is that true? I seem to remember someone saying that owning one copy of a game did NOT give you the rights to have a second copy as a rom. I thought that was odd though since owning a CD does give you the digital rights to those songs. That's basically the only reason I buy CDs now. It's almost always cheaper to just buy the CD then buy the mp3s.

It would depend on your county's laws. I'm pretty sure that Canadian law is more forgiving than American law. But you definitely would only be safe with the same console version that you own. E.g. If you own mortal kombat for the sega, you wouldn't be safe to own the snes version rom. Or, if you own the midway arcade game for PlayStation you wouldn't have the right to own the MAME arcade roms, even though it's the same game files.

The law may also vary depending of game format. A cd can scratch and degrade more easily then a cartridge based game.

I remember the media debate here back when recording on VHS was a big thing. In Canada you can make a copy of a VHS you own without any issues. When you go and sell your copy it becomes a problem.

#423 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I have two DC's and one has the temperamental laser and the other I'm scared of it burning out. That is the one reason I hate laser based consoles.

I watched a YouTube video a while ago where this guy has a rom hack for dreamcast, you remove the whole laser mech and install a board with a USB plug or sd card slot. The new board tricks the dreamcast into thinking the roms are on a disc. It wasn't perfect yet (think multi disc games were a problem) but soon it will be possible to play a dreamcast with all the games loaded inside.

I loved my dreamcast, it broke decades ago, I sold my stuff to get a PS3 (stupid me). Has anyone played armada for dreamcast? I pumped so much time into that game and I literally think that there's no end to it, just a perpetual grind to get bigger

#458 7 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Also remember when the Wii launched? That was a crazy hard console to get at first.

I waited overnight for a wii on launch day. The store had 20 consoles in stock. The manager came by the store at midnight while only a half dozen of us were there waiting, just to check it out. By 3am there were more then 20 people in line. 2 hrs before the store opened the employees came out and handed a ticket to the first 20 people in line and had our order ready when the doors opened. Any games or controllers you wanted were set aside. They told us to not worry. Once we had a ticket we could go home and come back later to get our order. When the store opened the line was hundreds of people long. The new comers at 6am didn't believe us when we told them they were sold out already. By 7am we had our machines within minutes and started home. The sad part was watching all those dads walking up to the store with their kids at opening and watching them turn around and leave empty handed.

1 week later
#514 7 years ago

Here's a vid on the nes classic hack

#627 7 years ago

I have 2 older ps3's, one for playing blu-rays, the other in my driving arcade for gran turismo. Both are very loud.

#640 7 years ago

Some food for thought

9 months later
#1579 6 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

Now I can finally get rid of the giant CRT

DONT DO IT! In 10 years it will be virtually impossible to find a good CRT. Put it in the bsmt or in storage but don’t toss it out like everyone else has. In 20 years you’ll swear that the SNES looked better on your old CRT the it does on your new 12K ultra super duper TV. I’m holding on to a nice 32” CRT just in case.

1 month later
#1637 6 years ago

I think that’s just an emulator box. It reads the disc/cartridge and dumps the files, then plays them on an emulator. I don’t think that they play the game in real-time from the media. It’s not an actual hardware console, just a software emulator.

I don’t know for sure, but I’d be hesitant without more reading

3 weeks later
#1670 6 years ago

I just watched a YouTube vid saying that sega and retrobit are going to work together to make genesis, dreamcast and Saturn mini consoles in 2018. Hopefully their good quality like the nintendo ones.

#1672 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I think it was just controllers.... but maybe they’ll make more?

It doesn’t make sense to just make controllers for old consoles. Dreamcasts are crapping out because of the cd drives failing and genesis already has more ways to play then I can count. Retro bit makes clone consoles and plug and play consoles already so I’d assume that new consoles will be in the works. The first round of products will be shown at CES and it could just be controllers, but why make such an announcement for just controllers?

3 months later
#1726 6 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

I loaded my snes classic with so many games I don’t know what I should actually play.

That’s the number 1 problem with multi game rigs. I’ve built several MAME cabinets, and it seems when you have 10000 games in one box there’s too many choices and you end up spending more time searching for a game, then you do playing it.

I prefer to keep my games separated. Nes classic, snes classic, n64 with an Everdrive, vertical MAME, horizontal MAME, trackball MAME, driving seat for gran tourismo. Ect.

4 months later
#1761 5 years ago

If your looking for complete rom sets for a reasonable price then try out rom collector. I bought a hard drive that was loaded and set up. It was virtually plug and play, and Now I have a full collection of roms. I don’t need to try and download anything else, because I’ve got it backed up.

https://www.romcollector.com/

I understand that this is not legal, but I feel like I was paying for a service as much as paying for the files. I could find everything for free on a torrent sight. But this is problem and virus free.

1 month later
#1782 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Why would I want to play on those crap controllers

You don’t. But sony will happily sell you DualShock ones later on.

If the controller plug is the same, then I might have to go digging in some boxes to see if I still have a wired controller.

1 week later
#1806 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I'm going through my house and trying to create Ebay, Craigslist, Yard Sale, Goodwill, and trash piles. I've hit a road block with my old PC games. Old as in late 90's, early 2000's. Pre-Steam.
Is there any value in them, or should they just go to the trash. Original boxes for majority.

Those are definitely collectible. Big box pc games are worth a bit in box. I’d pay for shipping before I’d let you throw them out.

#1809 5 years ago

I just backed this new NES game called Micro Mages on Kickstarter. There’s only a couple days left but it looks like fun. Now I’ll have to get a 4 player multi tap for my nes.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/morphcat-games/micro-mages-a-new-game-for-the-nes

3 weeks later
#1839 5 years ago

Tommy Tallarico is behind the new intellavision console. He has enough of a history in game design and new company start ups that I give him the benefit of the doubt. He’s a master in video game music, he brought us G4 tech tv, and the stage show Video Games Live. I’ll give it a chance before I “nay say”.

Quoted from benheck:

PVM GET!
[quoted image]

Nice find. Those sony monitors are great, or so I hear. I’d love one some day.

1 week later
#1860 5 years ago

The I have mr driller on my MAME cabinet, it’s a fun game.

I don’t know how well the mini PlayStation classic sell. The polygon graphics don’t stand the test of time like pixelated games do. I think their (Sony) biggest mistake was not including dual shock controllers. A lot of the games that I want to see on a PlayStation mini really need that analog stick to control.

Even if this machine is easy to hack and add games onto, it still is lacking good controls

4 weeks later
#1918 5 years ago

These are so shitty, they will become incredibly rare in the future, no one will buy this

#1930 5 years ago

I think that they will release another one in 2019 with better games and DualShock controllers. The games on this one mostly work well with a D-pad, but games like gran turismo and crash bandicoot really need an analog stick to play. The DualShock didn’t come out until later in the PSX life.

Quoted from benheck:

I maintain you could get a real PS1 and a pile of games for $100

An early PSX (model 1000, 1001, and 1002) has a really good sound processor chip, so people have been using them as audiophile quality CD player. These ones are hard to find, and can be $100. But it’s is a win-win situation if you get a good one.

#1943 5 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

I keep picking these up when I run across them since they are just a ps1 to most people.

I like the sound of the ps1 on my Yamaha 7.1 surround system. I think it sounds better then my sony 5 disk changer, but it’s not nearly as good of quality as my turntable. I don’t consider myself an audiophile, but it seems better to me.

I’ve read a bit online about this, and there seems to be some dispute on the audiophile forums. But the early model ps1 systems had a really good quality DAC that was changed in later models. It’s not as good as top of the line equipment with something like a 24bit DAC, but that is more expensive. The frequency range on the ps1 just seems to be a really pleasant sounding chip.

It would be cool for someone with talent to actually test this urban legend and see if it really is as good as some people say.

Edit. Also if you have one of these. Connect it with the RCA jacks on the back, NOT THE PS1 CABLE. the difference is noticeable

#1946 5 years ago

Does anyone have experience with the sega Dreamcast, and a GDEmu board installed? I have a bundle coming. 4 controllers, 1 vmu, the modded console, and a couple SD cards with the entire Dreamcast collection.

Back in the day I only had a handful of Dreamcast games, but pricing them out individually gets pretty costly at current rates. I figure this way I have everything ready to go on day one, and I don’t have to worry about scratches on the games or a blown out laser down the road.

#1955 5 years ago

Well, it’s only been a couple days and they’re starting to hack the PlayStation classic. It won’t be long until it will be customizable.

1 week later
#1974 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Stock, yes. But hacked, should be pretty cool

I watched a YouTube video the other day. The video mentioned a guy got bleem running off a usb thumb drive and installed 50 games onto the psx classic. I didn’t see a link to the info though.

#1975 5 years ago

I have a newer GameCube without the data port on the back, so I’m thinking about trading it in to get an older model. I’d like to get the hdmi converter. Think it’s called a mk2 or something like that.

Has anyone bought an hdmi converter for GameCube? Thoughts?

#1988 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

People are craving for a n64 classic

I don’t think we’ll see a n64 classic for a while. The controller will be expensive to manufacture, and the emulation takes hardware that’s a lot more powerful then the snes classic chip. So the price will currently be to high to hit that “impulse buy” price range. Furthermore it won’t have Rare games, those licenses are owned by Microsoft, it would be a nightmare to get the games people want.

No goldeneye, perfect dark, killer instinct, banjo-kazooie, Diddy Kong racing, Donkey Kong 64. No thanks.

#1990 5 years ago

If anything, we’ll see a Bluetooth N64 controller with games on the switch.

2 weeks later
#2002 5 years ago

I can't really seem to find a definitive answer on this so maybe someone here can clear this up for me.
I have an SCART cable for my NTSC SNES and RGB modded NTSC N64 to hook up to my PVM...
I have a PAL GameCube in route that I am going to install a Xeno GC chip that will make it region free. Will that same SCART cable work with it or will I need a PAL SCART specific cable for this GameCube?

I dont know for sure. I don’t think that GameCube came with SCART plug on the back. Just the av and digital out.

4 weeks later
#2022 5 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

New in the mail today. 3D vectrex is pretty rad...
[quoted image]

Wow. I thought they were pretty rare. Looks cool, I've seen a couple YouTube reviews but never one in real life

2 months later
#2046 5 years ago

Nintendo didn’t own the source code for Donkey Kong. I had no idea.

4 weeks later
#2055 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Also just ordered a BittBoy v3. Was cheap enough to see how well it plays. And if it's terrible, I'm not out a whole lot.

I almost pulled the trigger on one of these bittboys last week. Post your feedback, cuz I'm interested.

2 weeks later
#2084 4 years ago

I put in a Pre order for the sega mini console. The list of games looks good, and the company making it is much better then AT Games at porting games. I’m a little worried that it won’t be hackable, and that I won’t be able to add more games. I do think that sega will try to knock it outta the park with this machine, especially since it was originally decimated by the Internet when they announced that AT Games we’re going to build it. After seeing Nintendo and sony’s Mini system releases I think that this one will be good.

2 months later
#2106 4 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

So here is something you don't see every day. I went to ReplayFX for Pinburgh and walked out with two original ship boxes of unopened ET games.
[quoted image]
This one is the lesser condition of the two, but is the picture I have handy. It has the boxes stuck together and some damage to the shipping cardboard. The other is in fantastic shape. All six games at least 8.5/10 unopened and the box too

Did you learn where these came from? We’re they found in the dump excavation from a couple years ago? I never heard if they actually found anything.

#2107 4 years ago

My recent retro gaming find was a crt on the side of the road in a rich neighborhood. I picked up a Sony Trinitron KV-27FV310. Some people think these are the best retro SDTV consumer grade tv there is. It has a flat screen so I’ll probably hold on to my older curved screen Sony too, it’s still a very nice model, so I might as well throw it into storage

I’ve still got my eye out for a proper PVM, but I’m not willing to pay eBay prices

#2112 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

How much did you pay for it? I have a 24 or 25 inch one of those. Couple months ago my mom said they had 8 CRT TV's that we'd all had at one point, down in the basement that they were going to go dump at a place. I said hold onto the Sony one, it might be worth something. The 19in RCA can go. ha.

Luckily I got it for free. The problem with all crt’s is that 95% of the population thinks that they’re worthless. So most crt TVs get tossed to the curb. The 5% of the population whom realizes that these are valuable pieces of history, unfortunately have no way to source them. I found this by fluke.

1 week later
#2124 4 years ago

I look at this as kinda a secondary system, also it’s like they’re trying to rekindle some of the wii’s Magic of having people play together in one room.

I used to own a PS3 for watching movies and playing Triple A games, but I also owned a Wii so that we could bowl when mom came over, to we could box out some energy after a shitty day at work. My wife created a mii character of her boss just for that reason.

This Intellivision won’t be a flagship console. Just a secondary system to play unique games on, and since the games are all exclusive, they might move a couple of consoles.

4 weeks later
#2130 4 years ago

Busy weekend for me. I got an everdrive for my NES totally loaded with rom hacks and homebrew games. The problem is that I turned on my NES for the first time in like 5 years and got the white screen of death. So, I guess it’s time to finally replace the caps on the power supply board. Last night I got it ripped apart, today I hope my local electronics store has what I need.

I also got the sega mini from amazon in the mail. Haven’t had a chance to hook it up yet, but the reviews seem positive. Did anyone else get one? I stopped in Walmart on my way to work yesterday, they only had 3 systems in stock, I wonder if they will be as rare as the mini nes was.

1 week later
#2142 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

i SUPER hope they release the stack in the states. Guess US-based Youtubers are getting Genesis branded versions, but Japan is the only place selling them.

I wouldn’t be surprised if sega is watching those you tubers very closely. If they get enough interest I bet they come to North America. Maybe even for Christmas if the unit sales numbers are good enough. So far they seem to be getting way better reviews than the ps mini.

I’m sure there’s got to be a website that you could get them from. Maybe eBay japan, or google shop japan.

1 week later
#2147 4 years ago

a new game came out for the NES via kick starter called Micro Mages and it has 4 player action. We streamed it last night, really fun, cool game! heres a funny clip of me team killing someone lol
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/491909392

I can vouch for this game. It was the first nes game that I’ve unboxed in 30 years. That was fun, but the game is awesome. You can download it on steam for like $5 I think.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2150 4 years ago

The hell mode is crazy! Way fun with 4 players, have you gotten 4 together yet ?

Not yet. I’ve been waiting to get a 4 score for my nes to play 4 player on original hardware instead of on the pc.

3 weeks later
#2158 4 years ago

Mario cart 64

We ran a fastest time contest on dk’s canyon track. The prize was the n64 and game. People were lined up to give it a try.

1 month later
#2163 4 years ago

Here’s my current retro gaming set up. 2 crt tv’s. The left one has n64, GameCube, wii, ps1, and dreamcast. The right has a nes and is also a 2nd screen for karaoke.

The nes, and n64 have everdrives loaded with complete libraries and my dreamcast has been modded to take sd cards. I have the full library of those games too.

I also have a nes mini, snes mini, and sega mini connected to a hdtv in another room. I have the turbo graphic 16 mini on pre-order too. Pretty excited for that mini, ive never owned that console before.

D4991979-3EF2-4B97-AD18-4BCB7070F5B1 (resized).jpegD4991979-3EF2-4B97-AD18-4BCB7070F5B1 (resized).jpegE3437D05-1080-4A28-9BB4-B06BC274D39D (resized).jpegE3437D05-1080-4A28-9BB4-B06BC274D39D (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#2166 4 years ago

Yesterday I came across a YouTube video with links to a hack for the mini genesis. I have over 100 genesis games on mine with box art.

2 weeks later
#2168 4 years ago

I started collecting Nintendo Power. I have about 100 of the 285 magazines. Anyone else into them?

#2172 4 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

I picked up 20- some early 90s issues recently on FB marketplace next to nothing. I wouldn't mind picking up more early issues.

I find that most later issues can be had for $3-$4, but the early ones jump in price considerably issue #1 In ok condition can go for over $100

1 week later
#2181 4 years ago

You could mod your old consoles to output hdmi or RGB, and keep them running on a new tv.

I have a crt for nes, n64, ps1, GameCube, and dreamcast. Most of them run everdrives or have been sd card modded.
I have an hdtv for wii, PS3 and the mini nes, mini snes, mini genesis. Mini TG16 will be released soon too.

Rumor is that the PS5 will have full backwards compatibility, that will make some old CD games popular again. Get them now before the price goes up

3 weeks later
#2219 4 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Picked up a TG-16 recently. I'll be taking out a second mortgage to buy some games for it.[quoted image]

The TG-16 mini classic ships in march, has like 50 games I think. I pre-ordered one months ago. It’s not original, but could help your pocketbook for some of the more pricey games.

https://www.amazon.com/TurboGrafx-16-mini-Electronic-Games/dp/B07QD9GQ9J/ref=sr_1_1

1 month later
#2240 4 years ago

Our pinball buddy benheck just worked on another rare video game console. This time he got a nintendo M82 working again. It’s a pretty cool piece of tech.

Another great video Ben, thanks for making it.

1 month later
#2248 3 years ago

Mines coming soon. So the TG16 mini is an amazon exclusive, and I wasn’t able to preorder it from their .ca site. So I ordered it from amazon.com on oct 2, shipping was going to be in April. Covid came in March and my shipping was delayed until Jan 2021! A couple days ago my shipping changed to june 2-5. Can’t wait, I’m excited.

I have the NES, SNES, and SEGA mini already. My plan was to mod each to have the top ~100 from that system. I’ve only done the sega so far. You tubers have opened the TG16 up and i think it runs the same board as the sega does, so it should be hackable with project lunar in time.

I’ve been close to getting the PS1 mini on multiple occasions because it can be a good system if you hack it too. I like the idea of the C64 mini, but doubt that I would actually use it, maybe the one that comes with a joystick would be cool.

The AT-Games Atari flashback machine gets good reviews, and even though I put hundreds of hours into some of these games as a kid I have no interest in going back to play them on a 2600 mini system.

#2250 3 years ago

If you can find a deluxe version they have paddle controllers.

3990BBB8-2A53-458A-88C2-EFDDB9B42C39 (resized).jpeg3990BBB8-2A53-458A-88C2-EFDDB9B42C39 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#2259 3 years ago

If the game gear micro was twice the size and included ~40games I would have ordered one, but these $50 keychains look ridiculous.

#2260 3 years ago
Quoted from Yokimato:

Got my hydra in finally (3mo delivery due to the pandemic), loving this retro rgb action!
[quoted image]

Tell us more. So did you have all your consoles modded with scart RGB? Is the hydra just a good splitter? I’ve never heard of one before.

#2268 3 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

Tempted to get the Golden Tee 1up, but I think I'll just wait for my MAME cab.

Golden tee is so popular at parties that it can dominate your MAME cabinet all night. I got an arcade1up cab an have no complaints

#2277 3 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

mini consoles rock!
[quoted image]

Yes they do

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#2291 3 years ago

I picked up my crt at the side of the road in a nice neighborhood, just saw it, knew it was better then my current rca, and grabbed it. After getting home I did some research and some people think this is the best consumer grade tv for retro gaming. If you can find one, it will be much cheaper then a Pvm. The easy way to spot this tv out of the crowd is the blue bezel around the screen.

8B68FBFA-E893-42C1-98E2-FB26A41E6A1C (resized).jpeg8B68FBFA-E893-42C1-98E2-FB26A41E6A1C (resized).jpegBD86E009-2710-4007-AA93-5D4935ABD16F (resized).jpegBD86E009-2710-4007-AA93-5D4935ABD16F (resized).jpeg

#2307 3 years ago

Nice. That’s worth $300-$400 I bet. I wouldn’t touch it. Leave it in the box. If you want to play nes buy a cheap used one. That looks mint and should stay that way after all these years.

#2325 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

a refurbished Dell running CoinOps Next.

Story of my life this weekend. I started with a old hyperspin harddrive with Windows 7. Couldn’t get direct play working. Got frustrated, formatted the hard drive and installed win10.

This is my first time using CoinOPS next software. What I’m having issue with is how to install my own roms, or do I have to download their add on packs? I’ll spen some time with it later today and hopefully get it running.

#2327 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

To start, I recommend downloading CoinOps Lite

I downloaded the next arcade pack. MAME wasn’t working on my win7 machine. Think it was a 32bit OS trying to run 64bit software, so that’s when I just decided to install win10. That’s where I left it last night, don’t know if I’ll get to it today. I have a drive with all the roms, bezels, artwork, ect. (It was running on win xp) I though it would be just copy my files over and boom it works,...it’s never that easy. I think CoinOPS uses retroFE to launch programs, so I might look into how that is set up and see if there’s anything that makes sense to me.

My problem is that I was really good with computers in the 90’s when I was in high school. The last 30 years has changed a lot and now I’m just stumbling along.

#2329 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Make sure you’re running both programs in the main folder under ‘Fixes when not working.’ It’s DirectX and something else.
I originally downloaded everything from my Mac and transferred with a thumb drive. Didn’t work. I re-downloaded directly to Windows 10 and all is well.

That may be the key; I also originally downloaded it onto a thumb drive. But now that I have win10 on that old pc I'm going to download it again directly onto that machine.

The old pc was in the arcade cabinet with no internet access, but I've now pulled it out and have it set up in the office beside my main pc where it's easier to work on.

4 weeks later
#2373 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

If you want to see an even bigger CF, look up the Amico...

These two could tie for largest steaming pile of crap. If the amico ever gets releases it will immediately be e-waste

1 week later
#2380 3 years ago

Here’s some interesting gaming lore/history for the other geeks in this thread.

In super Mario 64, in the garden there is a star shaped statue with some low res text on it. The best guess for what this said was “L is real 2401”. this has been one of the longest unanswered questions In video game history.

Last week there was a data breach from Nintendo. actually there’s been several Serious leaks over the last while on 4chan containing Large dumps of source code and beta info of games an consoles.

Last weeks data leak contained the source code for SM64. Once hackers looked over the data for unused graphics for the game, they found textures for Luigi. Sure enough the graphics fit over the mario Model, and for the first time we actually saw Luigi in super Mario 64.

Here’s the kicker. Last weeks data dump with Luigi came out 24 years and 1 month after the Japan release date of the N64 (June 23 1996). So in fact it is true. “L is real 2401”

85EB3DFE-8022-4739-98DE-E7058EB550AF (resized).jpeg85EB3DFE-8022-4739-98DE-E7058EB550AF (resized).jpeg
#2381 3 years ago

I just found out that there’s more to this story. Unfortunately it’s a reality check and not further conformation.

The most recent data dump (July 2020) contained source code for 14 games that were playable on a little known Chinese version of the N64 called the iQue. The iQue had the games preinstalled in the controller, and you could go back to a kiosk with your controller and swap-out/download A new game.

These source code dumps are not from the original release of the games, but a later Chinese port. There is audio code for Luigi’s voice along with the graphics. Unfortunately there’s nothing linking the Luigi assets to the SM64 game directly. Furthermore, any pic you see with Luigi in SM64 has been created on he PC version of SM64. No emulator can run this code yet. The security for the iQue has never been hacked, so these game rom files are still unplayable.

But still a cool story. Hopefully it will develop more as time goes on.

3 weeks later
#2389 3 years ago

Everyone has the player because they’re clipped onto the GameCube, but the disc didn’t even come with a proper case and got lost or scratched. Simple supply and demand. The GameCube is really popular right now. Those small discs are impossible to find to burn replacements too (I think).

3 weeks later
#2405 3 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Were the Game and Watches very popular here in the States?

I remember my dentist had one for me to play with While my sister was getting a cleaning. This would have been in the early 80’s

1 week later
#2406 3 years ago

I just finished a cabinet for my retro consoles; they’re on hinged shelves that hide the controllers underneath. Each of them are connected to the Sony CRT in the corner, or I can play with the projector on the back wall. The two drawers in the middle hide extra Controllers, accessories and wires. I like how it turned out, but I might get some led’s to light it up a bit over each console. The last spot on the bottom right is for a PS3, but it is currently sitting connected to my racing seat.

I also have several mini consoles, but since they’re all HDMI they are on another tv. 1A90F38B-95B3-4447-86ED-33C061A4A296 (resized).jpeg1A90F38B-95B3-4447-86ED-33C061A4A296 (resized).jpeg
01CB2C5C-37C6-48F4-9F9D-A46E130DB49C (resized).jpeg01CB2C5C-37C6-48F4-9F9D-A46E130DB49C (resized).jpegA646018C-4925-4A9C-918D-10E630D7603C (resized).jpegA646018C-4925-4A9C-918D-10E630D7603C (resized).jpeg32B1250B-64C8-4120-8C01-729E40C18CD1 (resized).jpeg32B1250B-64C8-4120-8C01-729E40C18CD1 (resized).jpeg9A2049FA-E29E-4970-A93A-139C67AB607A (resized).jpeg9A2049FA-E29E-4970-A93A-139C67AB607A (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#2417 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

What did you do to reverse the yellowing of the plastic?

My guess is “retro bright” basically Soak in a bath of peroxide and water in direct sunlight for a couple hours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retr0bright

1 month later
#2426 3 years ago

Did anyone else get the new Game & Watch? Mine should be here today, although I might just leave it in the box for now. I have enough ways to play Mario bros. My hope is that next year they release a 35th anniversary Zelda game & watch too

FF6E83AD-4A0E-44C3-8450-B7DAEE43B10F (resized).jpegFF6E83AD-4A0E-44C3-8450-B7DAEE43B10F (resized).jpeg
#2428 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

I did. It's cool for about 5 minutes, then it went back in the box, where it will probably stay. Like you said, too many other ways to play Mario.

It looks like a novelty, but I think it’s more of a collector’s item. just like you, I assume most people will open it up immediately, play with it for 5 min then put it on a shelf. Mine might just go straight to the shelf unopened.

#2430 3 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I need to do is go watch some video's of some of those old Nintendo games.

I used to laugh at the idea of watching someone else play video games; and then South Park Stick of Truth came out. I knew that I wasn’t going to buy the game, but still wanted to see the story and jokes within the game. So, I found a play through video that cut out all of the grinding gameplay and just highlighted the story. It was almost like watching a South Park movie, changed my whole perspective on game play videos.

Now I’ll regularly watch Games Done Quick. Not only is it for charity, it’s pretty amazing watching these pros rip through a game in record time. I don’t speed run anything but watching how these players break the game mechanics to achieve amazing runs is pretty enjoyable. Even the videos breaking down world record progressions, and how the players have improved their games over time with finding new strategies to use are entertaining.

1 week later
#2450 3 years ago

I decided to thin the heard. Sold off my NES games since I have an everdrive N8 for it. Going to do the same for my snes. There’s some Black Friday sales so I’ll get one for my snes too. I never play my saga master system, so its going up on the chopping block. I also have a CIB PAL N64 that has just been taking up room on a shelf.

#2452 3 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I use a nes, sega, and snes mini all hacked with almost every release. I have totes full of cartridges for each console. Came down to saving space.

I have the nes, snes, sega, and TG16 mini too. They’re connected in the garage to an HDMI tv. But I prefer my original consoles on a crt tv in the basement. The kids like the light gun games and they don’t work in the mini consoles.

#2453 3 years ago

Each console can be played on the crt in the corner, or on the projector in the Center of the room.

#2457 3 years ago

I added some games onto my SNES mini today using hackchi. It was a bit difficult for me to get right. First I had an old version of hackchi and it would dump my kernel, load the custom kernel, then crash when adding games. Found the newer version of hackchi and it’s a lot more user friendly. Unfortunately my kernel was outdated and it wouldn’t update with the new version. So, back to the old version of hackchi, returned to my kernel to the default one and then back to the new version.

I was still experiencing issues with installing the new updated kernel, but found that the “repair” kernel option worked. I was still having Write Errors when trying to add games though. After some online investigation I switched to the USB wire that came with the snes and found one USB 2.0 port on the front of my PC that would work for the process. (Some motherboards with AMD have issues)

So after a couple hours of messing around I was finally able to add some games. I kept the original games and added a bunch to bring the total up to my 90 favourite snes games. The snes mini shows 300MB storage space and my 90 games took up around 75MB. So if you’re looking to mod one of these, you could add a couple hundred games probably.

1 week later
#2482 3 years ago

My sd2snes everdrive came in today. I bought it on a Black Friday deal and saved a couple bucks. I decided to use rom carts instead of having piles of games everywhere in sight, since I don’t have space for everything. They also had packs of Nintendo trading cards for to much money. So I got 4 of them. I was hoping to get a Donkey Kong pack, but got 2 princess ones. I don’t know if/when I’ll, open these. I remember opening lots of these as a kid.

#2499 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

this is the first I have heard of the GC Loade

I bought a modded Dreamcast that runs off of SD cards too. It’s called a GDemu I think. It’s pretty sweet and has quick load times. . I think there’s a PS1 one also

#2506 3 years ago

I use 5, 64GB SD cards for the entire Dreamcast library. The only problem with a larger card is a longer loading time for the menus. The games will load super quickly, it’s just games list when you turn it on, or reset the console.

#2518 3 years ago

Playing some pilot wings on the garage tv. Making up our own challenges for fun.

16077386714701006164835517855869 (resized).jpg16077386714701006164835517855869 (resized).jpg
#2519 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Playing some pilot wings on the garage tv. Making up our own challenges for fun.

Two of the most fun challenges we tried were jetpack as high as you can go (1400 feet) then free fall then with one press on the gas get as low as you can to the ground before ascending again. I got to 3 feet from the ground.

Another one was to skydive without using a parachute and try to kamikaze onto the moving island by only using the D pad to control your fall.

1 week later
#2537 3 years ago

I just came across this video of a handheld N64 console. This is not emulation. He cut down the N64 PCB to shrink the size.

2 weeks later
#2546 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I don't do the shmups so I can't add anything authoritative for that. But for Pac-Man and anything of its ilk, I think this would be the best one:
https://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=365
Apparently this is how the original Pac-Man joystick worked - with leaf switches. For a pinhead, those switches should look real familiar!

Ya beat me to it, I was going to post the same link

#2554 3 years ago

I’ll take it before it goes into the trash. But if any other collectors want first it that’s alright too.

Pm me if there’s no interest and I’ll send you money to ship it out.

1 week later
#2562 3 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

Anyone have a good arcade stick recommendation for classic arcade games and SHMUPS via MAME? Almost every stick on the market seems to be made for fighting games, so the joysticks have a long throw action. I need really short, quick movements for classic stuff like Pac-Man, Robotron, DK, and all those great shooters

Quoted from VALIS666:

After a lot of research on arcade sticks that can change from 4-way to 8-way on the fly without opening the cabinet, I just ordered a trio of Mag-Stik Plus (https://www.ultimarc.com/arcade-controls/joysticks/mag-stik-plus/) from the UK plus ball tops

Ultimarc have great products and I would have recommend that joystick for one that will switch between 4-way and 8-way, but your original need was a really short, quick action. I still suggest a leaf switch joystick for better fine tuning and quicker smoother action. That ultimarc one will just have clicky micro switches like a fight stick. Personally I prefer a clicky micro switch joystick, but if you want to be authentic to a old arcade then leaf switch is the way to go.

#2565 3 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Can this Mag-Stik be installed in place of the joysticks on a X-Arcade?

I don’t know for certain but you probably could with some customization. The ultimarc sticks are the same as a (American) Suzo-Happ style joystick so I think the mounting plate is larger and thicker then a Sanwa joystick. I don’t know what’s in the X-Arcade but I’d assume it’s The American style Happ joystick from looking at pics quickly on the web.

61070812-510D-417A-A914-07E0BB8B0CFB (resized).jpeg61070812-510D-417A-A914-07E0BB8B0CFB (resized).jpeg

#2566 3 years ago

The bat top or ball top is inter changeable depending on your preference. Usually Japanese games had ball tops and American games had Bat top. You can also get long or short joysticks depending on your control panel thisckness. The choices are pretty limitless.

#2569 3 years ago

There’s one wire that is a shared ground for each switch, that’s the outside tab on the micro switch. You can just daisy chain them together. It’s probably the black wire, or the thickest trace on the board.

Then one wire for each direction will go onto the (I think) middle tab of the switch, you’re looking for the one labeled N/O normally open. Remember you’re looking at the back side and the directions are flipped.

If your not concerned with returning to the original joystick then I’d just snip off the connector and solder wire extensions onto the switches. Use heat shrink on the connections and you’ll be going in no time.

2 months later
#2576 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Was given back my GameCube,, with the stupid expensive component cables I bought back in the day and a box of controllers. I think the component cables alone will nicely fund the bulk of a new series x....
[quoted image]

That cable is probably worth it’s weight in gold.

2 weeks later
#2583 3 years ago

For some sick reason I’ve been drawn to the Virtual Boy lately. I think there’s only one or two games that I’d even play, and prices are crazy, but for some reason I want to play one again. I only played one for about 25 min, 25 years ago. Nothing about that memory makes me want to get it, yet I’ve been drawn to it.

1 month later
#2601 2 years ago

A while ago I bought a Pow Kiddy V90 handheld game player from AliExpress. It’s the best knockoff emulation system that I’ve used yet. This is way better then the cheap Famiclone handhelds from 5 years ago. The one that I bought came with a 64GB memory card loaded with games, I thin it said 9700 games. Mine came installed with complete collections of nes, sega, Gb, Gbc, gba, snes, genesis, wonder swan, and neo geo pocket. But there’s also a bunch of mame, ps1, and pc games like quake, doom, wolfenstein, etc. I bought it to explore some of the old GB, GBC, and GBA games. Some of the GBA and PS1 games play pretty rough, but for older games, this thing is amazing.

Since I’ve got it I played thru Mario land 1+2 for GB, Zelda for nes, Tetris for GB. But most recently I discovered Cave Story. It’s an “8-bit” side scrolling platformer that’s super fun.

Here’s one I found on Amazon with a smaller memory card and less games, but for the price I have to recommend it to others.

https://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Console-Rechargeable-Player-3-inch/dp/B08JC3244X/ref=sr_1_3

6 months later
#2635 2 years ago

I got an SD card mod for my GameCube, so I’m going to sell all my games off. I’d prefer to sell them locally, but if someone wants them all, and will cover the shipping, then send me an offer.

1DE6AC00-2F20-439F-BE47-A5ED99BC08F0 (resized).jpeg1DE6AC00-2F20-439F-BE47-A5ED99BC08F0 (resized).jpeg7033A7D2-9CD5-4408-B674-1E4AF31DC7C7 (resized).jpeg7033A7D2-9CD5-4408-B674-1E4AF31DC7C7 (resized).jpeg
#2638 2 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Some heavy hitters in that stack of GameCube games.

There’s some crap too. Lol

#2639 2 years ago

Just curious, how accurate is price charting.com; or is it better to look at completed eBay listings to guess a games worth? I just think that some of these games are ridiculous in price. It’s hard to believe that bmx xxx is worth more then mortal kombat, unless it’s because it’s a rare game; because bmx is a shit game comparatively

#2643 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Wow I did some checking, I had no idea that the Gamecube games were worth as much as they are. I've got the SD card mod with all of the pieces ready to go, unfortunately my project list is pretty long right now so I don't know when I will install it, but when I get to it and get it all working I'll probably sell off the discs. Super Mario Sunshine, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Star Wars Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Bond Nightfire, Need for Speed, Wave Race Blue Storm, Mario Kart, Bionicle, Namco Museum are some of the ones I have.

I’ve seen in the last 5 years the wave of nes games rise, then snes, etc. now the GameCube games have skyrocketed, so I’m going to strike while the iron is hot. Price charting values my games at over $750usd right now. If I can sell them for close to that I’ll be extremely happy.

Years ago I bought a N8 everdrive and an Sd2snes with console for less then what I sold my nes games for.

Some people like the physical games, buy I don’t have the space for them all, and for how often I play them it’s hard to justify.

4 months later
#2667 1 year ago

Recently I’ve been thinking about getting some kind of portable device that can play old PC games. Something that can play dosbox, with programmable buttons; or maybe small laptop. I dunno. Looking for options and opinions. The steam deck would probably work, but impossible to get right now. A GPD device would work I think, but I wonder if there’s a cheap Chinese emulator device that could play DOS games.

#2669 1 year ago

That’s a great idea. Thanks.

#2672 1 year ago

I’d even love to have a mini PC like that Amiga one, but loaded with shareware and demos from the free disks in PC gamer magazines. That would be awesome…

8FF7C564-46CA-409E-837F-838FF1D706FA (resized).jpeg8FF7C564-46CA-409E-837F-838FF1D706FA (resized).jpegF36B6199-140C-49AC-9D15-6277BAAE55F3 (resized).pngF36B6199-140C-49AC-9D15-6277BAAE55F3 (resized).png
3 months later
#2686 1 year ago

That’s too sexy for this old man. I bought one of these about a year or two ago, and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/HKYRD-Powkiddy-Handheld-Console-Foldable/dp/B09VK94JRY/ref=sr_1_2

20ECF44F-0045-44C5-AC86-8084A64738F9 (resized).png20ECF44F-0045-44C5-AC86-8084A64738F9 (resized).png

1 month later
#2712 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I have a fairly recently upgraded tower with a 4K monitor

I just upgraded to a ryzen 7 5800x cpu and a dell 34” ultrawide monitor…..and then downloaded Warcraft 2. Have to say, the video cut scenes have never looked that good before. Lol

#2720 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I also have my original N64 connected to the 65” OLED TV, but admittedly I sold all the cartridges and have an Everdrive in there with lots of games.

I sold all of my games a couple years back. I have an everdrive loaded with the complete game library for my NES, SNES, And N64. Then my Game cube, Dreamcast, and PS2 are modded to run off of either SD card or hard drive. All of that I connects to a sweet Sony CRT or projector to play them. I also have a homemade 4 player mame arcade with everything up to the 90’s on it. Add in a half dozen Arcade1up’s and a skeeball game and a PS3 on a racing seat setup and you can find almost any game to play.

Not to mention my collection of mini consoles that I can connect to a new hdmi tv for convenience.

1 week later
#2738 1 year ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I know it's probably not really retro, but I'll ask anyway. I've been sitting on a launch version 60gb PS3 for several years now. I believe it's already been jailbroken, but I never really did get around to finding a decent repository of games. Anyone here have a decent hard drive they'd clone, or point me in the best direction? I'd rather not spend days/months downloading terrabyes of data when someone can just clone a drive for me.

Usually 20 years is retro to me, and a launch PS3 is a great console. Having built in backwards compatibility is a huge asset and that will be a desirable console in a couple years. Those early consoles will probably all die without some modifications, so hopefully yours is still in good condition. Here’s a video explaining it if you’re interested.

If you’re looking for games files without having to download for days, then I recommend these guys. I’ve purchased from them twice. https://www.romcollector.com/roms-hyperspin-hard-drive-p-200.html

#2740 1 year ago

I had bought a hyperspin hard drive years ago from them for my arcade machine. recently I wanted to play a couple old DOS games, and remembered that it also had 80’s and 90’s pc games on it, so I want looking at the games list to find the ones I wanted to play. Boom, right there, this random game I played in the 90’s, and it was the full game, not the shareware one I had back in the day. “Ok. Now how do I get it off the HDD and running on my windows 11 machine?” First thing, check out the readme file, and again, BOOM, it’s simple, run a batch file and it auto sets up Dosbox, now I have a couple thousand old games to go back through.

#2743 1 year ago
Quoted from woody24:

my original Phat PS3 with backwards capability died

Did you hold onto it? And did you watch the video I just posted? It might be fixable

#2746 1 year ago

I just found this gem that I used to play around with in school called car builder. The CGA graphics really date it, but we used to waste time in class trying to make the fastest car we could.

FABBF9B0-9C72-4E09-9CC2-7E31FB3771F0 (resized).jpegFABBF9B0-9C72-4E09-9CC2-7E31FB3771F0 (resized).jpeg

#2749 1 year ago
Quoted from woody24:

so Im not sure if it was a more permant fix. I just opened mine up, took the board out and used the heat gun to re-flow the solder.

It’s a long video but it’s basically saying that re-flowing the solder balls might fix it temporarily, but the larger issue was with TSMC and how they built one of the chips for the fat original ps3. He was able to steal a chip from a ps3 slim and retrofit it into a fat ps3. It all depends on your build date and board revision as to what chip you would need. He referred to it as a Franken-ps3. You’d have to find the right slim ps3, harvest a chip from it, install that onto a custom board, then install that into your fat ps3. It would kill a slim ps3 to save a backwards compatible ps3, but he sounded confident that it was the solution to the yellow light of death.

#2750 1 year ago

Another old gem that I just rediscovered is a Commodore 64 game called rags to riches. I had totally forgot about this game, but faint memories came back after seeing another game with the same name. A google search and a YouTube video later and now I want to play it again. I never had a c64 but my parents friends did, so I must have played it at their place. I looked but the C64 mini doesn’t have this game included. I guess it’s time to get emulating if I can find it.

CC0ADB71-4CBC-4EC0-8C34-690FBFE98671 (resized).pngCC0ADB71-4CBC-4EC0-8C34-690FBFE98671 (resized).png

#2752 1 year ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Check on csdb.dk

Perfect, found it. Thanks. I have a Batocera SSD coming in the mail that’s loaded with emulators and some games. It should be here in about a week. If that game isn’t included with the c64 emulator, then I’m going to download the game from csdb.dk and copy it over.

3 months later
#2781 1 year ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Grabbed a Miyoo mini+. So far, it seems like a nice little handheld. It came preloaded with about every game I could want up through ps1 and the file were actually somewhat organized, unlike the normal Chinese preloaded systems.
[quoted image]

I’ve been looking at that one, but I think I’m going to hold off for a year or two. I currently have the powkiddy v90 clamshell, and it plays up to GBA pretty well.

How does the Miyoo handle N64 games?

#2782 1 year ago

I won a 4 pack of tickets yesterday to the local home and garden show off of the radio. The DJ played the theme song from a game and you had to guess it to win.

It was Dig-Dug. I’ve put way too many hours into that game. It was one of the few I had for 2600 back in the day.

And they say playing video games will get you nowhere in life

1 week later
#2786 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Does that fall under Retro Gaming now

Might be a bit early. Usually I think of retro as 15-20 years old or 3 generations ago. So a PS3 would be retro. But I don’t think the 3DS is 15 years old yet.

1 month later
#2802 11 months ago

I used to have almost the whole collection, but sold them years ago. These are the only two that I kept

#2805 11 months ago

I bought several large lots of Nintendo power mags off of eBay to make my collection. Sometimes I would buy a lot of 50, just for a couple that I didn’t have, or to swap out existing ones with better ones. Then I sold off my duplicates to recoup my cost. In the end I had most of the first 200 in decent condition with posters and bonus stickers etc. intact. Some of the later ones (230-285) are pretty hard to find in lot sales.

1 week later
#2818 11 months ago

I watched an interview years ago, probably on YouTube or some gaming documentary that was with one of the higher ups at Nintendo of America when Nintendo Power was released. They said that the first issue had the highest print run. Apparently it’s the least rare issue but for some reason it’s one of the most expensive. A lot of them were given away as promotional materials

#2842 11 months ago

I have an NES, SNES, N64, PS1, GC, DC, Wii, and PS2 all connected to my Sony Trinitron KV-27FV310 from 2003. I also have a Sony Trinitron KV-27 from 96 in storage that’s all black image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg my mini systems get connected to a Sony KDL-52W4100 from 2008 whenever they are connected

#2856 11 months ago

The only thing I don’t like about SCART is that it was never a standard in North American like it was in Europe. Sure you get a better picture from it, but if I have to mod my systems and tv to make it happen, then it’s a pretty big barrier for entry.

#2862 11 months ago

Most of the everdrives have save state support. I have a couple of them and never had an issue. https://everdrivestore.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmtGjBhDhARIsAEqfDEcYmaJytkxNw4RR8J1btnlunR8-ECtTZwCqMH2jokN1pCiVvRgltKAaAggtEALw_wcB

#2878 11 months ago
Quoted from Jason43:

If you're on a budget, most of the Chinese everdrive clones work surprisingly well and usually come loaded with the full library of games, although not perfectly organized. They are however, direct ripoffs of the real everdrive, so there's some ethics to consider.

Quoted from smalltownguy2:

If you're considering the Everdrive, then ethics regarding ripoffs aren't really a concern for you.

Krikzz the designer of everdrive is from Ukraine and posted on Reddit he was able to get out of the country in 2022…or you can give your money to china. Probably doesn’t matter to most people, but I had to mention it.

#2884 10 months ago

Just added a PS classic mini to the collection today.

IMG_0198 (resized).jpegIMG_0198 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#2889 10 months ago

Did anyone else order a McNugget Tetris game from china? I bought two off of eBay, the first has arrived, but I’m waiting for the second before I decide what one to open.

IMG_0202 (resized).jpegIMG_0202 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#2895 10 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Okay, my retro game multikarts I bought off etsy all work perfectly, so it looks like I'm going to be selling these. The only thing it doesn't do well are the SUPERFX Chip games so I'm holding on to Mario Kart and Starfox. Are there any gems in here? I'm thinking of listing the SNES games as a lot, the N64 games as a lot, and the Nintendo Games as a lot on ebay. The Metal Warriors Kart is Fake and the NES Metroid has a graphical glitch and doesn't play right but everything else seems to work.
Edit. Listed on ebay so no longer available. Thanks!
[quoted image]

There’s some great games there but nothing that’s crazy expensive that I can see, although I havent paid much attention to prices in years and I don’t follow snes closely.

Quoted from mtn-:

Got the Dreamcast up and running again yesterday. Played Virtua Tennis 2 for five hours.
Thinking about getting a GDEmu, they are cheap enough and seem to work just fine from ali express. Anyone have any experience?

My Dreamcast was modded before I got it, so I don’t know if it’s a Chinese version, but I’ve not had any issues with it

1 month later
#2920 8 months ago
Quoted from Zambonilli:

Anyone built an arcade lightgun setup? Anything special that I need to account for? I was going to snag a couple of gun4ir guncons and add to my existing RetroPie setup on my Jetson nano.

That’s a rabbit hole to go down. I’ll type something up later when I have time

#2928 8 months ago
Quoted from Zambonilli:

Anyone built an arcade lightgun setup? Anything special that I need to account for? I was going to snag a couple of gun4ir guncons and add to my existing RetroPie setup on my Jetson nano.

Years ago I built a cabinet with 4 players, trackball, spinner, and two ultimarc light guns. https://www.ultimarc.com/light-guns/aimtrak-light-gun/ They worked well when calibrated properly. The two problems that I had with them are MAME would occasionally swap the usb ports and they would get mixed up. gun1 would switch to work with player2 and vice-versa but when working, they work well. One of the two guns was dropped and stopped working, so I just disconnected them. The second problem was that these use a sensor bar to calibrate position just like a Nintendo wii. If you stand too close it won’t register, if you get a glare on the screen it won’t line up perfectly (best played in a dark room) basically if you don’t play the game in the same location as you stood during calibration it won’t feel right. It works well, but each of your friends will have to know to stand “here” for it to work. There are a couple other light guns on the market that use the same type sensors to detect the guns alignment. You can even get a Pandora’s box with light guns and have everything plug and play, including roms. https://retroshooter.com/

The new technology is the sinden light guns. It has a camera in the gun and works in conjunction with a projected white box around the edge of the tv screen. They were originally a kickstarter and then included on the Arcade1up Big Buck Hunter and I think now they’re easily available online. I have the A1U BBH and it works very well although the screen is too small for my liking. There’s still the problem that you have to be 3 feet away from the screen and the farther you are the better it works, even though it’s harder to target small objects on a small screen. Many people mod the cabinet and add a larger screen. I haven’t used sinden guns with MAME but it can be done. I don’t know if the sinden software adds the white box, or if you need to find roms that are modded. You can also buy hard drives that are set up with roms plug and play. I have a Batocera HDD but it’s an older build that doesn’t support guns.

This is Amazon.ca, but I’m sure you can find them all around the world. IMG_0217 (resized).pngIMG_0217 (resized).png

#2930 8 months ago

Nothing modern works as well as an old school crt monitor and an old school light gun.

#2933 8 months ago

This guy has some cool art

https://rachidlotf.com/

IMG_0218 (resized).pngIMG_0218 (resized).png
1 week later
1 month later
#2989 6 months ago
Quoted from mtn-:

I like shmups

My coworker has a YouTube channel for shumps. He does reviews, one credit completion and interviews with other shump players. I think it’s pretty wild beating these bullet hell games with one life.

3 weeks later
#3002 6 months ago

I just ordered a Powkiddy RGB30 from china. The reviews are pretty good for this system. The four inch 720x720 square screen is an odd shape, but for handheld games like game boy, game gear and neo geo it’s perfect. I mostly got it for Pico-8; since it has built in wifi the splore store will be super easy to try different games. The reviews for shmups are pretty good too because the cropped aspect ratio fits well in the square footprint. The one video showed it had Scumm on it, and I wouldn’t mind paying through some point and click games again too.

4 weeks later
#3009 5 months ago

Damn it. I had to order one. Thanks for the link.

1 month later
#3027 3 months ago

That’s a nice crisp image

2 weeks later
#3031 3 months ago

I’m getting into Nintendo Game and Watch games. I had bought the Mario and Zelda games from a couple years back when they came out, but recently I’ve been buying the old ones from the 80’s. So far I’ve just been hunting for deals on eBay that have the box and manual included. My donkey kong didn’t work fully; bought it as junk/parts unit for basically the price of the box. It had some battery damage and the board trace for the Up button was pooched. I soldered on a bodge wire and ordered a new reflector for the top screen. Now it works perfectly. I like the simple pick-up-and-play gameplay. I’ve also got Mickey & Donald, Super Mario Bros, and the remake of Ball (shipping from Japan). There’s a couple others I remember from back in the day that I want to get still like Cement Factory and Fire. I really want to try the Zelda one from the 80’s so that might be my next purchase.

The colour ones are kinda cool looking but I haven’t tried any of them yet. Do you guys remember these and recommend any?

#3035 3 months ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

My orthodontist

Funny thing is, I remember them from my Dentist’s office. My sister and I would have appointments back to back, and I would play them while she had her checkup.

Quoted from Jason43:

Mario Bros(without the super), with the dual screens is pretty fun.

That one also looked familiar, but I don’t fully remember it; maybe once I get my hands on it and play a couple games it will come back to me.

2 months later
#3049 24 days ago

Have you played Pepper 2? It can get addictive, simple to learn, though to master.

#3054 22 days ago

I just ordered the Unico 26” lcd 4:3 monitor for my mame cabinet. I’m going from a 19” to 26”. When I built this cabinet I would have needed to use a 16:9 lcd to get a larger screen and once you add in the black bars it would have been virtually the same size as a 19”, so I’m happy there’s a larger 4:3 screen being made now.

#3056 21 days ago
Quoted from MRG:

I love the wood grain paneling used for the bezel.

Thanks, I built that cabinet like 15 or 20 years ago. I think it’s time for an upgrade. The pc is running windows XP, so it’s had a good run. I might just get a cheap NUC computer. Anything will be better than the core2duo that’s in there now

#3058 21 days ago

Years ago I got one of these loaded hyperspin hard drives. I was pretty sceptical so I split the cost with a friend, but this is as good as advertised…. Every game you can think of
https://www.romcollector.com/

#3061 16 days ago
Quoted from Crash:

Eclipse day pickup: Finally snagged a 27" TV, and a JVC with s-video to boot! It was on the side of the road hours before it was picked up by the street department during clean-up week. It's funny, if I wasn't headed home from the office to watch the eclipse I would have never seen this.[quoted image][quoted image]

Funny coincidence, I saw a crt sitting on the side of the road today while heading to the eclipse. I didn’t grad it because I didn’t have room and already have two, but my first thought was “I know a couple guys that would love to have that”

#3063 13 days ago

I’ve decided to update the rest of my arcade cabinet since I’ve got the new screen installed. I bought a new mini pc with windows 11 installed, a new 2.1 stereo amp, tiny subwoofer, and I’m waiting on a plug and play external hard drive with the current mame rom set. I also added a piece of plexiglass with 50% tint on it, in front of the screen. I might get a piece of smoky tempered glass if I like this look, the plexiglass isn’t that durable. The old sound system was just a cheap Logitech one that hummed when it turned on, so this new one is leap and bounds better. There’s a power switch on the back that controls the power bar and then everything just plugs into that. There’s also a powered usb hub in the back that connects to the pc.

It’s all really simple, but you’d be amazed how many people think it’s a complicated thing to make.
IMG_0339 (resized).jpegIMG_0339 (resized).jpegIMG_0340 (resized).jpegIMG_0340 (resized).jpegIMG_0341 (resized).jpegIMG_0341 (resized).jpegIMG_0342 (resized).jpegIMG_0342 (resized).jpegIMG_0344 (resized).jpegIMG_0344 (resized).jpeg

#3065 13 days ago
Quoted from metallik:

Also, your ordering that HDD removed a lot of complexity in sourcing the ROMS, artwork, bezels, marquees, cpanels, etc

A decade ago I made a virtual pin and spent months doing that for over 100 pinball machines with the hyperpin front end. I’d rather not have to deal with that again.

https://hyperspin-fe.com/forums/topic/2340-mortal-pinball-kombat-a-build-thread/

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luckydogg420.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nes-classic-edition-unobtainium?tu=luckydogg420 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.