IMG_0340 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0339 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0341 (resized).jpeg
_20240408_142036 (resized).JPG
_20240408_142108 (resized).JPG
20240407_103121 (resized).jpg
20240319_202154 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwo825.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#110 7 years ago

There is already a thread on reddit and people are close to hacking it. I wouldn't worry about it currently not being expandable. I'll bet within a month it will be cracked. I was lucky enough to stop into a Best Buy and pick one up. For $60, I think it's more than worth it. It plays closer to the original NES than most emulators I've used. The controller seems to be made from the original molds and it just feels right. A lot better than the usb controller I have for my PC emulators. When it's cracked, I don't think people will be able to write enough games for it to run out of storage. It'll be a perfect compromise between nostalgia and practicality.

#112 7 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I'll check back when a) it's been hacked and b) they issue a version with playable controller cord length.

The 30" cord is the only negative about the system, IMO. I think I can actually get all the stuff locally to make my own cord. I may attempt that this weekend.

#122 7 years ago

Does anyone have a name or part number for the connector? It would be very simple to make your own in any length you want if you can find that. Not sure if it would be cost effective vs the extensions available, though.

#134 7 years ago

The internal connector looks pretty standard. I bet you could find it at any electronics part store worth it's salt. While there, have them cut you a length of a 4-wire cord of comparable size to any length you want. You will probably have to use the connector from the original cord or find a broken wii nunchuck and salvage that one. They don't seem to be readily available. Seems relatively simple.IMG_1577_0 (resized).jpgIMG_1577_0 (resized).jpg

#144 7 years ago

1) is there a reader/programmer available for this chip? If you have a nice rework station could you just remove it and read it/ load it with whatever ROMS you want.

2) are there sockets available for these? If so you could remove it at will to change roms. Might require case modification, though.

#159 7 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

I have a friend who works at Wal-Mart. His scanner gun shows there are no more of these on order. Its what he called a 1 and done order. Don't shoot the messenger if more do come in, I am just passing along what was told to me.
I have played it. A few thoughts about the system.
First the joystick is smaller feeling than the original. It was hard for me to get comfortable with it.
Also the cable on the controller is incredibly short. When I went into Game Stop to buy an extension, they didn't have any and didn't expect any in stock.

Maybe that Walmart is not getting more, but this is incorrect. Nintendo has already confirmed they will be making more.

http://diggline.com/nes-classic-edition-nintendo-confirms-will-restock-popular-console/

#173 7 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Haha, LOL at these idiots paying all that money for an NES. I play Mario Bros in the back yard with my son's friends and it's way more fun! All it costs me is free cookies and juice for the kids! I'm Luigi!!!

Let me know where one can score this free cookie deal.

2 weeks later
#262 7 years ago

I was lucky enough to walk in and grab one on launch day from a Best Buy. No line, I was just in the area, walked in and they had one. I think it's a great little console. The software is great and it'd convenient to save states for each game. The interface is also very well done. That said, if I had to go through any trouble to get it, I wouldn't have. Definitely plenty of cheaper ways to play. The worst part about it is after I brought it home, I got the classic console bug. Now I'm sitting on these two and waiting foe a free CRT to pop up on CL.15232293_10154124862986814_393681037155843392_n (resized).jpg15232293_10154124862986814_393681037155843392_n (resized).jpg15241371_10154124863021814_4123996699168676806_n (resized).jpg15241371_10154124863021814_4123996699168676806_n (resized).jpg

1 week later
#281 7 years ago

Got mine on launch day and I liked it at first but there were 2 thing I couldn't get past. I couldn't track down another controller so my wife and I could play 2-player games and there is noticeable lag. It's really noticeable on Mega Man and the Mario games. Anyway, I traded it for an SNES mini and ordered an Everdrive. I am already enjoying the SNES more.

#301 7 years ago

Well, whether it was the audio lag or video it just played different. It was especially noticeable to me on Megaman 2. I visited my brother and he owns the real hardware and I played much better. Hard to describe it exactly, but something just feels off with the mini to me. Couple that with not being able to pick up a second remote in over a month and I decided to just trade it off. For a nice SNES mini and I have an Everdrive on order. My wife and I are having fun playing Tetris variants and Dr. Mario while we wait on it.

#302 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I bought one of those Genesis things a few years ago. Went to the game replay store to buy some old games. About half of what I bought would play on it. Not all original games are compatible with it.
*Edit.
About the Lag, are we sure it's controller lag, and not framerate?
Agree that the TV settings can cause lag. Pinball Arcade was unplayable on the PS4. Changed TV mode to Game, and it was fine. But I guess when I first read jwo825's post about Megaman with Lag, my first thought was a slowdown in framerate since he mentioned 2 games with that problem, and not all of the games.

To clarify: compared to a real NES, there seemed to be lag on all games. It was just more noticeable and critical on the games like Mega Man and SMB that require quick and precise jumps/movement.

#306 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Most likely your TV settings then. My RetroPie Console had lag until I switched the display mode to the Gaming Preset. Go into your settings on your TV where you'd change brightness and contrasts and stuff, and see if your TV has a Gaming preset.

I played with the settings quite a bit but just could not get it to feel exactly right. Don't get me wrong, it's close. But it's not exact and for that reason I wasn't satisfied. I'm sure many people are but I wasn't. To me, real hardware can't be matched by emulation.

#315 7 years ago

When I decided I was going back to a retro console and an Everdrive, I started researching CRTs. I found this PVM20L5 on OfferUp within a couple days for $20 because it wasn't working. Couple cracked solder joints is all that was wrong. I guess I was lucky, but Karma owed me big time because that beautiful Super Famicom I got a couple weeks ago didn't work. Anyway, the Genesis looks great even with the composite cable!IMG_0896 (resized).JPGIMG_0896 (resized).JPGIMG_0911 (resized).JPGIMG_0911 (resized).JPG

#317 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Oooph, composite on Genesis blows. You can see those rainbow bars in the white text at the bottom. I got lucky and bought a rare S-Video box for my Genesis in the late 90's, and it got rid of those bad rainbow FX...but now that I've seen what old consoles can look like with RGB output...holy moly, I can't go back!!!!

I've got the connectors ordered. Just waiting for them to make it across the pond.

1 week later
#342 7 years ago

Emulation isn't as fun as the real thing. Save states, rewind, etc. is for chumps. I tried the NES classic and have all the computer emulators. Nothing is as much fun as playing the original hardware.15665667_10154192201606814_1688185779506001877_n (resized).jpg15665667_10154192201606814_1688185779506001877_n (resized).jpg

1 week later
#455 7 years ago

I don't think Nintendo has launched a console that wasn't scarce since the SNES. At least I didn't have trouble locating one. The N64 is when it seemed like this trend kicked off.

1 week later
#493 7 years ago

I finally received my Super Everdrive and I'm very much looking forward to playing the Dragon Quest translations.

I was torn between the Super and SD2SNES. In the end, I decided the ability to play Star Ocean and Megaman X2 & 3 wasn't worth the premium. I know it has a lot of other features as well, but I don't plan to use things like save states and such. I just want to play the games like they were the real carts. With exception of the translations, of course.

#539 7 years ago

We didn't have a lot of money growing up. We got an NES and had to work during the summer to help earn the money for it. Later, we got a SNES when we were in better shape. I never played the other consoles much simply because we just didn't have access to them. I was all Nintendo, but by no means was I Nintendo or bust. Now that I've got the retro bug, I am enjoying going through the Genesis library. Even comparing same titles across platforms is fun and there are pros and cons to each title. I can't wait to get into other consoles such as Turbo Grafx and Neo Geo.

#554 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Agreed. Do you remember Nobanaga's Ambition on the NES? It was phenomenal back in the day. Romance of the Three Kingdoms was a carry forward off that style of play.

Romance 1 and Nobunaga's were on NES.

Romance 2 & 3 were on SNES and Nobunaga's was ported to SNES as well. I loved all of these.

Also try Bandit Kings of Ancient China for NES.

#558 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

I will have to look into that Bandit Kings of Ancient China, never heard of it or played it. Have the other games you mentioned and enjoyed them all. Thanks for the tip
edit: except its like an 80 dollar game. Maybe I'll spring for it someday lol

Funny. I see it at my local resale shop for way lower than that. I want to say $28 or $38. Just download an emulator real quick if it's cost prohibitive. For these types of games it isn't much different to play on the keyboard than with a real controller.

#561 7 years ago

Yeah, I get that. I probably will at some point, or spring for an everdrive cart for the games I do not own physical copies of yet.

Or I could be confusing it with Genghis Khan which has similar cartridge art but is considerably less valuable. I will check next time I'm in that area. GK is also similar in play style.

#597 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Man...
F--K THOSE EAGLES!

It's the Jet pack Ninjas in Level 6-2 that are the worst for me.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

The spinning attack while jumping in the higher levels is just as valuable in Ninja Gaiden as the freaking knife is in Ghost & Goblens. You simply cannot get through the higher levels without it and when you have it you can't do a normal jump attack so you have to use it super duper sparingly so you don't exhaust your Ninja energy...
Crazy hard game. Easily the hardest video game I have on my list of games I beat...

It's easily doable without special powers once you get the timing down. As I said to Frax above, that level 6-2 is about the worst. Other than that part, the game isn't too difficult. Also, you can hold down on the D-Pad when you hit B and you'll do a normal swing instead of the jump-N-Slash.

#604 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

If the switch is over $250 in price it's gonna be DOA.
Also Nintendo will limit supply on purpose because that is what they do.
There's a reason PS4 is the fastest selling console ever - Sony makes as many as people can buy.

There are already supposed leaks saying it'll be nearly $250 and that supply will be very limited. I'd love a new Nintendo but I'm too old to be pissing my time away camping out at game stores for their product. Plenty of other good, readily available options out there.

#619 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I just had to rib you, the xbone menus totally suck, but I think that about a lot of UI's these days, including pinball menus and everdrives

Just curious, but which Everdrive menu is bad? I have a Super Everdrive and an Everdrive N8 and the menu is only as bad as you make it. Some don't care for the black screen with white list but I love it. Games are easy to find and quick to launch.

#649 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Get an Everdrive. Then you'll have all those games. Unobtanium no longer!

I liked the Super Everdrive so much, I just ordered one for my NES, Genesis and GBA.

#758 7 years ago

I'm holding off until the end of the year. Let the hype die down, see what kind of title announcements come down the pipe, and actually see it in action before I decide. I never was much into limited editions.

#764 7 years ago

I just did the nesrgb mod on my front loader nes and it looks amazing. Can't wait to play all the Mega Man games again in glorious RGB. The series varies greatly in difficulty from title to title. It's been a while, but I remember them all being easy to moderate except 1 and 5(?).

#800 7 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

But until you figured out what special weapon worked on what baddie, MegaMan would kick your ass. Pre Internet it was all trial and error and writing everything down on scrap paper.

I was going through some stuff in my parent's attic a few years ago and I found an old sketchbook that had Metriod and Mega Man 2 codes scribbled on some of the pages.

2 weeks later
#910 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yes, it looked great and looks like it totally has the zelda feel. That's why I wanted to play it. But would love for it to play on the TV.

This is a project done by a friend of mine. He's using an Xbox, but he is streaming his 3DS to the TV. Or projector, in this case.

https://github.com/toolboc/UWPStreamer

#916 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's pretty awesome, but why does it keep saying New 3ds? what happens if you try it with a 3DS that you have been using?
I don't want to try it with my kids 3ds if it erases all her game saves on her. we just had a fiasco last night with the xbox360 update, wrote over one of her worlds she has been working on for 3 months, and basically made it like a freshly generated world.

You would have to message him for the details. I'm pretty sure he said it's only the newest model as it has better hardware than the previous models. He lost me pretty quick on the explanation after that. The dude is a programming genius and I barely did the "hello world" program in high school.

4 weeks later
#1054 7 years ago

I'm hoping for a great console but I am also holding off on purchasing. They need either Metroid or Castlvania to be announced if they want me on board.

1 month later
#1149 7 years ago

All this talk about new systems and here I am waiting for a PC Engine Duo and an Intellivision to arrive.

#1156 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I'm thinking about picking up a fat PS2 or slim PS3. I want a console to play on my front projection TV.
The problem is all disc based consoles not made by Nintendo or Sega have a terrible fail rate. Sometimes it depends on if you take care of it but other times it's a defect.
I'm gonna see what Gamestop charges for their refurbished systems (if that even means anything). I'll probably end up buying a bundle on CL or ebay.

If I were in your position, I'd pick up a fat PS2. It plays PS1 games as well, so the library is huge. You can mod it easily, and they're pretty cheap. I see then for $12-25 all the time at Goodwills and thrift stores. Just grab a couple so you have replacement parts on hand.

1 year later
#1744 5 years ago

Everdrives are absolutely great products. I have them for every cartridge console I own. I recommend waiting until Black Friday as he usually runs a 20% (IIRC) sale. Get every one you might need or you'll be waiting around for a year to get the rest next year.

2 months later
#1764 5 years ago

I've been really glued to the Switch and Octopath Traveler lately. But I took a break when this came by at a price I couldn't pass up. It's a North American console too!39753048_10155837182636814_3595433602994667520_n (resized).jpg39753048_10155837182636814_3595433602994667520_n (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#1769 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Welp. Here's Sony's first version. https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09/18/introducing-playstation-classic-with-20-pre-loaded-games/
Unless it comes with Gran Turismo 1 & 2, and Metal Gear Solid, I'm not interested. Okay. I am. Already pre-ordered.
But I will say, I HATED FF7. It was so frustrating just walking along and BOOM, fight! Hated that they never showed any enemy's walking in the world. I thought it was a bug when I first started playing. It was also the first FF game I've ever played.

For $100, it should include the charger. I am not preordering until I see a complete list. No Symphony of the Night and it's gonna be a hard pass for me.

#1785 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I did the same exact thing! Mine has a clear turquoise case & I region-free modded it. I still have it, but the laser is a bit finicky. I’ve been meaning to replace it but I’ve been lazy about looking into the best way to do so.

You can buy a whole new assembly for $14-$24 bucks on ebay. The ones near the top of the range usually have better reviews. It's simple to replace. (6) screws for the cover to come off. The assembly is just resting on 3 rubber grommets. Unplug the power and ribbon cables and replace with the new assembly. The process will take about 10 minutes if you've never done it before. 5 if you have and realize how easy it is. You can replace just the laser, but that is a pain and for all the trouble that is, it's a lot better to spend a few extra bucks and just get the drop-in replacement.

#1793 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, that's exactly what I wanna do! I think when I started looking into it, there were different assemblies for different serial numbers & models and whatnot, and I put it in the "rainy day" file...lol.
I have an original American launch PS1 ...if you have a link to the right thing that I need, I'd appreciate it!
Thanks!

If you have a launch model, the model number should be SCPH-100X. If so, a KSM 440BAM laser assembly is a drop in replacement. It’s the laser that was in the slim model and has the best reliability. But do read reviews as none of these are Sony parts anymore and the quality varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

#1803 5 years ago

Any fellow retro gamers jam out on a PVM?
I have a 19" Sony (ill find the model number later) and have a modded N64 for RGB and an SNES hooked up to it for pure RGB gaming bliss
I highly recommend it if you can find one locally. shipping would be pretty expensive. I got mine from a tv station selling off old equipment a few years back. Came in a sweet travel case that I will never use haha but its big and padded. I guess if I have ever to store it for some reason it will be handy.
I think 19" is the perfect size for retro gaming on old school crts.

I have a PVM-20L5. Phenomenal monitor. It’ll do 50 or 60 Hz and it’ll display 240p-1080i. Right now I have a couple switches and I’m running the following consoles via RGB: NES(modded), SNES, N64(modded), Game Cube(modded PAL console), Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, Intellivision(modded), Neo Geo AES, PC Engine, PS2, and an Atari Jaguar.

I found the PVM for 20 bucks but it needed repair. I was able to get it running pretty easily. But I have sadly spent a lot of money in cables and switches for the setup.

1 week later
#1818 5 years ago

I’m using this (link below)to stream PS2 ISOs and it’s a pretty sweet setup. A lot of the programs existed but this guy stitched them together and added usb HDD support. So basically, I have a 2TB HDD loaded with PS2 iSOs and I’m srteaming them to the PS2 over the network connection and the pi is using a version of SMB share as the game server to feed the PS2. That’s the layman’s version, I was just walked through it. It’s a real cool setup and the PS2 powers the pi through the USB port.

https://github.com/toolboc/psx-pi-smbshare#forwarding-active-ftp-session-to-a-connected-device

2 weeks later
#1840 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

PVM GET!
[quoted image]

PVMs are so great. I was lucky enough to snag a multi format before the prices skyrocketed. The original Xbox pushing 720P on a CRT is gorgeous. Jade Empire is a visual wonder.

2 weeks later
#1864 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

$100 pickup today! Been wanting one for a while, but couldn't justify the $300+ these things bring. This lady had it up on OfferUp for $500 last week and $100 this week. Said she had lists of interest in it and full price offers, but no one showed up to pick it up. So she priced it to sell. Luckily I pulled up OfferUp 10 minutes after she posted it. She said her phone was blowing up.
*edit. And wait. Did I also get a rare game? Came with Pirates Gold and Streets of Rage 1. I didn't really care about the games since I already had SoR, but wasn't familiar with Pirates. Looking online, doesn't seem those are going for $2.
[quoted image]

Very nice. I'd love one of these to recover some shelf real estate and nix one power brick from the mess of wires I have. I just can't bring myself to shell out the money they're commanding when my Gennesis1/Sega CD model 1 works so great. Plus it looks amazing sitting on the shelf as well.

#1871 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I dont understand how every single second hand console and controller has SOOOOO much grime on and in them. People. Wash your hands.
Taken apart both the controller and CDX and given them a bath. They're going to look as good as new. No major or minor scratches on them. Just looked like the system had been in a crud storm. Even the inside of the lid was disgusting.
Also ordered a new laser. Pre-test before taking it apart seemed that it was pretty spotty at reading the disc.
[quoted image]

If you’ve gone that far, re-cap it while it’s apart and you’ll never have to worry about it again.

#1872 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I remember having the whole mess of wires. I had and still have my 1st gen Genesis, 32x, and 2nd gen Sega CD. Really wish I had the 1st gen CD. Those were cool looking.

Yeah, the wire mess is pretty bad. I have 11 systems, 2 automatic switchers, the audio receiver and the monitor all plugged into power strips. And the Genesis and Jaguar each have 2 adapters. Then, I have all the AV cables and a final breakout to the receiver. It’s a tangled nightmare back there.

#1875 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I came back here just to ask that. I came across someone who'd done that, and found a kit to replace them. I know with pinball sound boards need to be recapped, but was curious what all they effect here. Sound was working from the standard bootup music for the CD. But I'm not entirely sure the cartridge portion is working. I didn't plug it into a TV yet, so not sure what, if anything is on the screen, but I couldn't get any sounds from trying to play a cartridge game.
But this was exactly my thoughts. Already torn apart. New Laser on the way. May as well rebuild everything while I'm at it.

The caps from the 90's era systems are notoriously bad. They can just fail outright or leak and corrode boards. Depending on the system, they can cause a range of issued in both sound and video circuits. Some of these CDX units that aren't reading discs are repaired with just a recap. I've never had one or worked on one myself, but I've been reading a lot about repair since I'll probably have to snag a broken one to get a decent price. Most of the repair stuff I have read about so far is capacitor related. Very few instances of an actual failed laser.

#1879 5 years ago

How many episodes are in season 2?

1 month later
#1972 5 years ago

yeah, I may actually go and get a PAL gamecube for the RGB sync that is already on it for use on my PVM. need to do a little more research before I pull the trigger on anything.

That’s what I did. Found a PAL cube for $30 and put a Xeno modchip in it. Plays everything like a champ and the RGB is nice and sharp.

3 weeks later
#2003 5 years ago

I can't really seem to find a definitive answer on this so maybe someone here can clear this up for me.
I have an SCART cable for my NTSC SNES and RGB modded NTSC N64 to hook up to my PVM...
I have a PAL GameCube in route that I am going to install a Xeno GC chip that will make it region free. Will that same SCART cable work with it or will I need a PAL SCART specific cable for this GameCube?

Do not use the SNES cable on the Gamecube. The pinout is different and you will send 12V down the sync line and fry your PVM or whatever other components may be in the line to it. I don't know what your setup is like. I did the same thing you're doing, got a PAL cube and slapped a xeno modchip in it. I have my whole setup wired for csync and I use the cables from Retrogamingcables.co.uk Specifically, this one:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/nintendo/gamecube/NINTENDO-GAMECUBE-RGB-SCART-CABLE-COMPOSITE-SYNC-CSYNC

People say great things about their "packapunch" cables, but I never used them. At one point, I had 14 consoles daisy-chained through 2 automatic SCART switches and then the audio broken out and ran back across that. Even then, I never had any interference, so I don't think the extra shielding was worth it.

#2007 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

let's amend this and provide the correct information so that everyone doesn't freak out. so, your sentence *should* read:
Do not use a NTSC SNES/N64/GC cable on a PAL Gamecube. The pinout for pin 3 is different and you will send 12V down the sync line and fry your PVM or whatever other components may be in the line to it.
*CSYNC/Composite Sync is replaced by +12V on PAL SNES and PAL Gamecube consoles (But not the PAL N64)
from: https://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:nintendomultiav

Thanks for the clarification. I should have done a better job explaining I was talking to him, specifically, instead of just making a general statement.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwo825.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nes-classic-edition-unobtainium?tu=jwo825 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.