DSC_4700 (resized).JPG
DSC_4699 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240405_080331 (resized).jpg
_20240411_210104 (resized).JPG
DSC_4645 (resized).JPG
DSC_4642 (resized).JPG
DSC_4626 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

People are dumb. It's a cute little trinket that will be massively available once Nintendo gets their shit together. Same as Amiibos. Hard to get at first and now it's not a big deal.
If you're tempted to overpay for this thing, consider a RetroUSB AVS ...an awesome HDMI NES system for $185...and then pick up and Everdrive for it. Then you can have every game ever made and not just 30.

so the everdrive lets you load your NES roms on it and can read them?

Speaking of artificial demand. I think the first game that was faked on short supply was Zelda 2. I remember they were talking about a chip shortage and pumping up demand. Mainly because I think they realized it wasn't that great of a game after it was done. So they created a shortage buzz about it. It was damn hard to find one when it was first released. Only to find out the warehouses were stocked with them. But nintendo only trickled them out. Even back then it left a bad taste about the situation. Shitty things companies do to raise prices and create imaginary hype.

#97 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yup - you can put every rom from every region ..plus Famicom Disk System games, fan translations of games that never came out over here, hacks, hombrews, prototypes ...and play them all on a real NES. Or, in my case, the RetroUSB AVS - an HDMI NES that came out a few months ago. It's a great way to play NES carts in HD with no lag (the reason some people do not like to use computer emulators...lag and inaccuracies).
Back to Everdrives - the great thing about them is they offer the convenience of emulators without being emulators. You can play them on original hardware. To the system, a rom is a rom is a rom. I ended up selling all my old carts and getting Everdrives for my consoles. Saves a ton of space and I made a nice chunk of change from cart collectors.

that's badass. Didn't know they had so many everdrives available. May go this route instead of trying to get my MAME arcade to run everything.

You able to save and everything like you can with games with batteries?

#109 7 years ago

it's no different than Stern announcing the LE and saying they don't know if there is going to be a premium and watch the mad rush of idiots scramble to get an LE only to find out the premium shows up just like always.

Stern has learned from Nintendo.

#185 7 years ago

It's amazing how a non pinball thread seems to be one of the most knowledgeable and indepth threads i've seen on pinside in a long time. Actual useful information in here.

#205 7 years ago

I used to have those when I used to have my video game rental business. Those were nice because they worked for many different cartridges.

1 month later
#491 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Lets get some gaming discussion going:
What are everyone's top 10 SNES games? What are some games you would suggest to people to play on SNES that aren't necessarily regarded as top tier games or just a lesser known titles that are fun?
My list would look like this:
1: The Legend of Zelda a Link to the Past
2: Chrono Trigger
3: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
4: Mega Man X
5: Donkey Kong Country
6: Super Mario Kart
7: Super Mario World
8: Super Metroid
9: Gradius III
10: ActRaiser
Recommended games that probably arent on peoples top 10 list:
Multiplayer games:
Biker Mice From Mars (like Mario Kart)
Super Bomberman 2
Top Gear 3000
Tetris Attack
Single Player:
Secret of the Stars
Out of this World

no super castlevania? That game was awesome.

#529 7 years ago

For me, I was in on NES when it first came out and loved it. Genesis came out first and we were blown away by the sound it was able to do and the huge graphic upgrade, so I had that while we waited for SNES to be released. Then I had both. Then Sega CD came out and was excited about that, but the game selections were piss poor.

#532 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

They had a very cool World War III game on the Sega CD. The weirdo game about capturing creepy guys sneaking on a slumber party was pretty neat (horrible player but a neat and memorable game)

I must have missed that one. I was playing games like JP, and trying to figure out how to get past Trex.

#541 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

This was the creepy game:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Trap
I'm looking for the WW3 game, can't find it right now for some reason.
*edit: found it:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_World_War_(video_game)

i was hoping there was some pictures of it. I like turn based strategy games. WIsh I would have found this one back in the day.

#543 7 years ago

I remember it somewhat, but didn't put a lot of time on it. I was big into RPG's on the NES.

#555 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I wonder how many hours I spent on Dragon's Lair. Just farming to level up took hour after hour. Cool game but too dependent on farming to ever be replayed today.

dragons lair or dragon warrior?

#578 7 years ago

and it sucked too, because all you could do was jump. No weapons of any kind. I forgot how you got out of it. if it was time based or what.

#605 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The spinning attack while jumping in the higher levels is just as valuable in Ninja Gaiden as the freaking knife is in Ghost & Goblens. You simply cannot get through the higher levels without it and when you have it you can't do a normal jump attack so you have to use it super duper sparingly so you don't exhaust your Ninja energy...
Crazy hard game. Easily the hardest video game I have on my list of games I beat...

Ninja Gaiden is one of the few games, I never finished. Later levels were damn near impossible with the jumps.

#608 7 years ago

yea, it was some spot with some heads or birds or something and small blocks towards the end. Pissed me off so bad. Even worse than the grim reaper from castlevania. Took me a month to beat that guy.

#657 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Get an Everdrive. Then you'll have all those games. Unobtanium no longer!

i will be pulling the trigger on these for sure. All thanks to this thread.

#661 7 years ago

for me, having the box and all that isn't that big of a deal. I had all that stuff when I was younger when it was new. Now you just want to play the games every now and then. The rest just takes up to much space. Valuable pin space.

#663 7 years ago
Quoted from Bronty:

i hear you, but it's a different kind of real estate - you need big blocks of space for pins.. gaming stuff can slide into closets shelves, any little nook, cranny, or spot that a pin would never fit into. I guess I'm suggesting you can have space for both if it's what you want. You probably just don't dig having the paper that much, and I can understand that, it's not for everyone.

that's true. Same can be said for board games. Yet, I have ran out of room for them as well that I need to sell a bunch of them.

#712 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah there's a chip that they can't get anymore. Framemeister isn't their first upscaler tho - it might be the 3rd? It's very popular and will remain so as long as retro gaming becomes more and more popular. So - I wouldn't be surprised if they have a new version in the works. Why wouldn't they ?

with some improvements I bet.

#713 7 years ago

since this is vintage gaming. I just wanted to post some Zelda murals my kid just made for me for my birthday. Made a scene in the stairwell going to my basement gamerooms.

IMG_8047 (resized).JPGIMG_8047 (resized).JPG

#731 7 years ago

I already have zelda preordered for the Wii U, so they better release it.

#776 7 years ago

we have windwaker for gamecube so we played it with wavebirds, without any problems. Controls were good.

#778 7 years ago

zelda 2 is challenging. That game is a straight up FU to most people. It was hard as shit.

#781 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I loved zelda 2: link's adventure
I remember driving to canada to grab it 1 or 2 weeks earlier than the stateside release back in the day

I got one of the first releases as well. This was during Nintendos fake, "chip" shortage problem and copies were very hard to get. I think they did it on this game, because they realized it was not as fun as the first one.

It was super hard and I remember grinding and getting pretty pissed at times, but made it through eventually.

#798 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I wonder how many would be able to tell the difference between the two versions. "This grass sounds...more realistic." Not sure why they would make two different quality sound files. I can't imagine the Wii U not being able to handle it.

I watched side by side comparison videos of the Wii U version and the Switch version. The differences were so minimal, we just went with the Wii U version over buying another system, until the system proves itself over time.

#814 7 years ago

we have twilight princess for both systems. Both can handle it very well and looks pretty damn close to the same.

I think the Wii U buyers are kind of upset because it seems the software support for the Wii U was short lived. There isn't exactly a plethora of Wii U only games. Many you can get on Wii and Wii U.

#825 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Im a huge fan of the top down Zeldas. A link to the past is my fav but the new, A Link Between Worlds on 3ds is fantastic. Minish Cap is also super good. I enjoy them more than the 3d Zeldas.

I wish link to the past was available on more outlets. I have the gamecube zelda version that has , Zelda, Zelda 2, ocarina, and majoras all on one disc. I love that, but why the hell did they skip Link to the past? Loved super nintendo back in the day.

#830 7 years ago

That's right, after that, Link had to get a job at walmart being a door greeter.

#833 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I personally love my Wii U, and I love the fact that I can play my library of Wii games on it as well.
But if we're talkin' Zelda, the BEST console to play the most amount of Zelda games is definitely the GameCube hands down. You can literally play every single Zelda game released up to that point (given you have the gameboy adaptor and the Zelda: Collectors Edition), AND OoT and Master Quest.
Honestly, the GameCube is a pretty damn good console. Had good processing muscle too. Arguably more powerful than the PS2, but just shy of the Xbox.

You can't play adventures of link with gamecube

EDIT: I ment Link to the Past (SNES version)

#835 7 years ago

what GC disc is it on? I have the master disc and that only has Zelda, Zelda 2, ocarina of time and magoras. they skipped right over link to the past.

#838 7 years ago

i'm not familiar with GB player. Never got into GB at all. How does GBplayer work for gamecube?

It was my mistake, I ment link to the past (SNES), not adventures of link.

#844 7 years ago

how does the GB Link to the past compare to the SNES version? I really liked SNES version.

#858 7 years ago

CDi......(shudder)

we had one of these. Is it a DVD player? Is it a game system? or a half assed attempt at both. <------------this is the correct answer.

#863 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Was it a DVD player, or did it play movies on a CD?
I remember a regional department store had one on display. All I remember was playing a game with a truck driving through a canyon.

it was actually a CD player as DVD didn't exist yet, but they tried to play movies and stuff on it to make it like a DVD player.

#880 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

It's not the worst, but holy cow, I have my gripes.
Begin Rant (also maybe spoilers):
I'm actually playing through it right now. I feel like it's more sandboxed than other Zelda games I've played, and I feel like the challenge for me isn't through actual puzzle solving, but through the muddy motion controls. I've died more times just because the game wouldn't properly respond to my motions than anything else.
The gameplay and the constant rehashing of the same 3 locations is really annoying. Like why do I have to revisit the same damn forest 900 times?? And then they make you do the most mundane tasks: Oh, collect all these stupid fish/music notes. Catch all these bugs. Fly around in an empty sky with tornados that slow you down. Talk to the Dragons that already know you're the hero, but they make you do stupid things just to get what you need.
The damn silent realms. Jesus. As if we already haven't spent enough time running around the same places a million times, now we gotta do it all again by collecting tears.
Want a better shield? Instead of adventuring to find it, you gotta beat all the bosses you've already beat.
If they made the sky more akin to the islands in Wind Waker, I'd be happy--but I feel like it's just there to waste your time and artificially make the game larger. There's only a handful of floating islands that are really worth your time.
That said, I do think the game is unique in the way you approach puzzles, and the art direction is absolutely brilliant. I'm glad I played it, but I probably won't be playing through it again.

I can agree with this and windwaker also felt like that as well to an extent. It still was enjoyable, but not as adventuresome as games like OOT and MM. Breath of the wild looks to be a breath of fresh air tho, as it's more skyrimish . Looking forward to it.

#885 7 years ago

for me zelda 2. I didn't like the dragon warrior concept they had going on. Moving around and only being able to go 2 steps without hitting another enemy was annoying. The game was very unforgiving and hard as shit. It always felt like work, more than adventure and fun. OOT and MM were my favorites, but I love the original and link to the past a ton as well. But I played all these games as they were released. Seeing the new chapter revealed and the anticipation of waiting for it's release was part of the experience as well. Seeing updated features and a whole new world for the first time is different than, say...coming into the game now, knowing bits and pieces of the past, playing all the new stuff first and what not. Isn't going to have that awe inspiring moments of completely immersing yourself into the game, like back in the day.

Plus we didn't have the internet back then. If you were stuck, there was no running to youtube for a walkthrough. you had to sit there for hours and hours, getting frustrated. Only to eventually figure out it was something dumb and easy that somehow you missed. Or dial the nintendo hotline 40 times in a row, because the line was busy. But you had a rotory dial phone and the nintendo number had way more 9's and 0's than I would have liked, so you spend 45 min dialing the same number over and over hoping to hear a ringtone.

#895 7 years ago

to really understand majoras mask, you have to play through ocarina of time fully. Majoras mask is the only game that is a direct sequel to another zelda game. One flows right into the other one.

#897 7 years ago

zeldas are difficult to continue after a long period of time because you forget what the hell it is you were working on.

#905 7 years ago

I saw my kid playing that one, and I wanted to play, but i just can't get into games on a small hand held system like that. I wish they had an adapter so I could jack into the Wii U and put it up on the TV and play.

#908 7 years ago
Quoted from Cloud7:

I totally agree! But, I highly recommend the game. It has that great old zelda feel to it!

yes, it looked great and looks like it totally has the zelda feel. That's why I wanted to play it. But would love for it to play on the TV.

#912 7 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

This is a project done by a friend of mine. He's using an Xbox, but he is streaming his 3DS to the TV. Or projector, in this case.
https://github.com/toolboc/UWPStreamer

that's pretty awesome, but why does it keep saying New 3ds? what happens if you try it with a 3DS that you have been using?

I don't want to try it with my kids 3ds if it erases all her game saves on her. we just had a fiasco last night with the xbox360 update, wrote over one of her worlds she has been working on for 3 months, and basically made it like a freshly generated world.

#917 7 years ago

i did not know they have a new 3ds called New 3ds. that is confusing as shit. Bad call Nintendo.

#944 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

speaking of ps4...I just got VR and RE7. Ready to @#$#@$ myself.

let us know how it goes. I'm also going to go for the VR and RE7 combo as well.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nes-classic-edition-unobtainium?tu=captainneo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.