IMG_0340 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0339 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0341 (resized).jpeg
_20240408_142036 (resized).JPG
_20240408_142108 (resized).JPG
20240407_103121 (resized).jpg
20240319_202154 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider akm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1576 6 years ago

The Analogue Super NT is cool, but I also have a Framemeister and use the RGB out from regular SNES, so no buy from me at this moment. I may change my mind if other cores are available for free like with the original NT Mini.

4 weeks later
#1623 6 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

looks like sonic mania is gonna get a physical release for at least Switch which im stoked about.
http://n4g.com/news/2119389/sonic-mania-physical-release-coming-soon

Nice. I avoided the digital release but it looks like the waiting has paid off. I'll snap it up when it's released physically on the Switch.

3 weeks later
#1651 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Where do you find your roms?

Google it.

#1653 6 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

The first rule of rom club is you don’t talk about rom club.

I wasn't talking about ROM Club. I was talking about how to properly use the internet.

1 week later
#1665 6 years ago

I've been playing the original Power Stone a lot recently and was wondering the same thing. Even if it's not "remastered", a modern port with online play could be awesome.

3 weeks later
#1681 6 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I get my copy of Metroid Pinball today! Never heard of it until this thread. I've always had whatever Nintendo handheld was out, but mainly just bought the main Mario games, and then never played the system after I was tired of those.

I can think of few digital pinball games that are better than Metroid Prime Pinball. The physics are nice, the flow is amazing, the visuals, sound and theme integration are incredible. Spend time to learn the game and you will really enjoy it.

#1685 6 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

What else you got? I know of Kirby, Pokemon, Sonic Spinball, was there one or two other Sonic pinball games for the gameboys? Those are the ones I can think of right now.

It depends on what you are looking for. For me, my favorites are the ones that are in-line more with real-world table designs, physics and rules. Not to say I don't like the elements or toys that would be impossible to replicate in the real world, I just like my gameplay controllable and the rules logical like real-world games.

So, Metroid Prime Pinball is near the top for me (if not at it). Pinball Pulse: Ancients Beckon, another pinball game for the DSi (I believe is made by the same folks) is next and it's a really great table. Lots of familiar rules and shots clearly inspired from real-world games. You can download it via the 3DS e-shop.

Then stuff like the Pro Pinball games (Fantastic Journey, Big Race USA, TimeShock!, various platforms), Last Gladiators Pinball (Saturn), its import-only follow-up Necronomicon (Saturn), Pinball Dreams/Fantasies (various platforms), etc.

The more video-gamey stuff of old like Alien Crush, Devils Crush, Jacki Crush, Dragon's Revenge, etc., are fun in short bursts but the physics (or lack of physics, heh) kill it for me personally.

Pokemon Pinball on the GBC is actually pretty cool. Played that for the first time recently. Rollerball on the NES is another personal favorite of mine from the 8-bit era. Good looking and sounding game, plays well, lots going on with the table layout.

2 months later
#1722 6 years ago

Eh? I've understood the Astrocade to be pretty sweet (if on the unreliable side) if you like that era of gaming.

6 months later
#1810 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I'm going through my house and trying to create Ebay, Craigslist, Yard Sale, Goodwill, and trash piles. I've hit a road block with my old PC games. Old as in late 90's, early 2000's. Pre-Steam.
Is there any value in them, or should they just go to the trash. Original boxes for majority.

Big box PC games are worth keeping and the collector market for them has been dry for a long time. Send them to people that want them if you don't want to go through the hassle of selling them.

Personally, the small box stuff isn't that desirable for me, but I'm always on the lookout for big box games from the late '90s (and a few from the early 2k's).

1 month later
#1884 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Maybe it's already been mentioned on here but if you're a fan of the Castlevania series you MUST watch the new show on Netflix!
It's basically the characters of Castlevania 3 with the backstory and motivations from Symphony of the Night. Easily the best video game adaption by a country mile.

Agreed. I finally got around to watching Season 2 the other day and I was sad when it ended, it was so good. Here's to hoping they greenlight a third season.

Quoted from Rarehero:

It's excellent & very faithful to the Konami art style as well. My only complaint is that they don't use the iconic game music at all in the score. Not sure if there was a rights issue or if it was a creative decision, but it's a bit of a bummer...those soundtracks and certain classic riffs are the soul of Castlevania.

While I would have liked to have heard more classic 'Vania tunes, I do enjoy the soundtrack, particularly for Season 2. That said, Bloody Tears is featured pretty heavily near the end of Season 2.

4 months later
#2032 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Not exactly "retro" but this twin stick PS4 game is friggin awesome. Figured I'd share it with some fellow gamers
https://housemarque.com/games/alienation

I'll one-up that with Nex Machina, also by the same company. Probably their best game by a long shot. https://housemarque.com/games/nexmachina

#2036 5 years ago
Quoted from andyharsh:

Hey guys, I co-own a retro video game store called Stone Age Gamer and I'd appreciate any votes we can get for this contest Fedex is running for Small businesses to win up to a $50,000 grant

Done! I've bought several of my flash carts from your store. Keep up the great work!

2 months later
#2070 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

That's what I've found out when trying to find info on 99 lives. My memory is pretty good though. I can remember some conversations vividly from way back when I was 2. So it's surprising if I'm remembering 99 lives differently. Maybe it was a different game and I have them mixed up?

Perhaps your memory isn't as good as you thought.

It's only 30, though I'm sure you would be able to go higher with something like a Game Genie.

4 months later
#2144 4 years ago

Nice to see all the flash cart and FPGA aquisitions. I've been swearing by these things for years.

4 months later
#2211 4 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

Does the NT mini have any advantage over the RetroUSB AVS? Looks like more video connection types (RGB, component, S-video, composite, HDMI) than AVS (HDMI), but I'd think most people would be using HDMI if they're looking to replace their original NES (composite).
https://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=78&osCsid=a7dc5a5b3345cc66211d447647e130ca

The biggest is the support of analog and digital. AVS is HDMI-only.

The other is being able to jailbreak the NT Mini and add other console cores to it. This turns it into a Sega Master System, Game Gear, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Colecovision, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, among others. You can also load ROMs from the SD card. The AVS has no SD card slot on it so it can't even be used as a basic flash cart (you need a separate flash cart like an Everdrive or Power Pak on top of it).

The NT Mini was significantly more expensive though, even more so now that it's no longer available from Analogue. I believe it was $500-ish when it was available previously. So, $300 more than the AVS. A re-run of these would be welcome however as second-hand units are selling (as in, actually sold) for anywhere from $1,500 to $2,500 depending on the condition (used versus new/sealed). Ridiculous.

For the price the AVS is a great console and it's actually available as of this writing. I highly recommend it to people that just want NES/Famicom compatibility. That said, if you want those extra cores the NT Mini might be worth the cost if they do another run.

Of course, if one really wants those cores, it's probably a better value to grab a MiSTer setup. A little over $300, it supports even more cores and also does analog/digital.

4 months later
#2293 3 years ago

Trinitrons are excellent, especially the later ones with component. Amazing picture and even lower grade connections still look good on them.

3 weeks later
#2351 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

any of you retro gaming fans play demons tilt on xbox recently? Its on gamepass and its a cross of an old school shmup game and pinball. Its kinda crazy but it satisfies my love of old school graphics and pinball as well. If you have gamepass check it out.

Demon's Tilt is excellent.

1 month later
#2392 3 years ago

Sell it, profit.

It's all about the Action Replay/SD Loader now and the Game Boy Interface software you can install on it. The original GB Player disc has been made obsolete and is solely a collector's item now. No real reason to use it when the GBI software exists. Far better picture quality there.

3 months later
#2460 3 years ago

Sega CD spines make me weep...

Love that shit.

Quoted from Jason43:

Picked up my first Sega cd games. This is my first time playing anything on this system. I'm amazed at how the games range from amazing to "what in the holy hell is this? "
[quoted image]

Yeah.. Robo Aleste and Silpheed = Great stuff, at least for the era. The stuff might at least make you appreciate "CD gaming" for the time. Especially if you have a disc-only Sewer Shark (easy to find). Great acting (at least, the actors looked like they loved what they are doing), somewhat action-oriented gameplay, and more. Sort of gives you an idea what the FMV thing was going for, originally.

Silpheed is great on its own. It's a straightforward shoot 'em up, but it does an amazing job of balancing the Genesis, Sega CD, and CD-internal hardware. It's got constantly-shifting backrounds, with actual polygons layered on top (your ship and enemies). Super cool stuff. You really don't see this anywhere else at the time.

#2465 3 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Still got all my original SegaCD games. But yeah, there's just something about them. I remember getting excited once they were discontinued and started finding them in the clearance aisle of Kmart. I picked up several for $2 each. Including Ecco, NBA Jam, and Sonic CD.

Yeah, I got my system in early '96 or so when it was on its way out. You could still buy the games NIB at Best Buy, Toys 'R Us, Electronics Boutique, etc, for a year or two after that and I built up a pretty big library over time.

I miss games getting crazy discounts like with what we saw on systems from back then. Doesn't seem to happen nearly as often these days.

#2478 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I had a Sega CD too! The only other person I currently know who ever had a Sega CD and I still exchange quotes from Sewer Shark from time to time. "Shoot the tubes, Dog Meat!" or the old Catfish bot "We've got some naaasty critters at 'TWELVE', 'THREE', 'NINER'!"

"I love the smell of the sewers in the morning... It smells like VICTORY!!!"

hahahahaha...

2 years later
#2966 7 months ago

Balloon Fight is great. Takes the Joust formula but makes it more approachable (and more fun, IMO). That was a game I totally passed on back in the day, but decided to give it a go about a decade ago and now it’s one of my favorite “pick up and play” kinds of games on the NES.

#2972 7 months ago

For the 2600+, it's already been confirmed that they are using Stella. That's *the* premiere 2600 emulator that's been in constant development for ages. It's good stuff.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider akm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nes-classic-edition-unobtainium?tu=akm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.