DSC_4700 (resized).JPG
DSC_4699 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240405_080331 (resized).jpg
_20240411_210104 (resized).JPG
DSC_4645 (resized).JPG
DSC_4642 (resized).JPG
DSC_4626 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TigerLaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#370 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Quoted from northvibe:
smart phone/tablet gaming is a joke.
Only to hardcore or old school gamers. To the majority of the population it's the standard. The culture of gaming has changed. It's tough to give people a reason to want to buy a dedicated game console and then to pay 30 to 60 bucks per game.
I texted my nephew the other day to see what he was doing and he was at home playing an endless runner on his ipad. My nephew and niece play the majority of their games on their ipads and iphones and if you look at sales figures everyone else does too.
I don't play any games on my phone but you can't dismiss it because it has taken a big chunk of developers and players away from traditional machines.

It's all about approachability. Cell phone games can be learned in three minutes and are simple and low pressure. It can take many hours to learn how to play a counsel game and they are very fast paced.

Totally different experiences and both have their place with different people.

#459 7 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

The sad part was watching all those dads walking up to the store with their kids at opening and watching them turn around and leave empty handed.

You got it backwards, that's the best part of getting the item.

I remember waiting for that gold edition Zelda for the 64. Waited all freaking night at Target and was third in line; the first person tried to buy all of them...what a jerk, glad the store didn't let him and I got a copy.

#470 7 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Here's a helpful video on increasing N64 resolution without sacrificing performance. It's next on my list.

Very helpful. Thanks!

#480 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Yoshis island is easily my fav game on the SNES. Had a blast with NBA jam and the 4 player controller peripheral with buddies....CE version of course.

I always liked Actraiser on the SNES. Great combo of side scroller and villiage builder. It was really ahead of its time in many ways (and was an early release on the system to boot).

#490 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

And Actraiser 2 is terrible.
Music is outstanding on that game also.

Yea, they totally destroyed that being a franchise quick. I never looked but I'm guessing the design team was totally changed out for the second game.

#497 7 years ago

I'll join the SNES fun. My top 10, in order (after more thought I moved Actraiser down):

1) Final Fantasy II
2) Legend of Zelda a Link to the Past
3) Mortal Kombat II
4) Actraiser
6) Donkey Kong Country
7) Romance of the Three Kingdoms II (I think it was II anyway)
8) Mario Kart
9) Mortal Kombat
10) NBA Jam

Honorable Mention: Secret of Mana and some soccer game I can't remember the name of.

#531 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

. Then Sega CD came out and was excited about that, but the game selections were piss poor.

They had a very cool World War III game on the Sega CD. The weirdo game about capturing creepy guys sneaking on a slumber party was pretty neat (horrible player but a neat and memorable game)

#538 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I must have missed that one. I was playing games like JP, and trying to figure out how to get past Trex.

This was the creepy game:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Trap

I'm looking for the WW3 game, can't find it right now for some reason.

*edit: found it:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_World_War_(video_game)

#542 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I like turn based strategy games. WIsh I would have found this one back in the day.

Agreed. Do you remember Nobanaga's Ambition on the NES? It was phenomenal back in the day. Romance of the Three Kingdoms was a carry forward off that style of play.

#545 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I was big into RPG's on the NES.

I wonder how many hours I spent on Dragon's Lair. Just farming to level up took hour after hour. Cool game but too dependent on farming to ever be replayed today.

#548 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Leveling up in Dragon's Lair? Thought it was linear cartoon? I didn't understand that game. I wanted full control over movement.

I'm sorry. Wrong name: Dragon Warrior.

#572 7 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Anyone watch/remember Captain N and the Gamemaster cartoon on Saturday mornings?

Easily one of my favorite cartoons back in the day. They had phenomenal music for cartoons (white wedding, danger zone, etc).

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#577 7 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I remember the king hippo/punchout baddie but can't remember what game the eggplant is from? N's controller fanny pack is awesome!

Kid Icarus. He would turn you into an eggplant.

#580 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Also North v South was really awesome on nes as a 2 player game.

I don't remember that one at all. Looks cool from what I just googled.

#590 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

It probably depends on where you want to include as "common". I'd say Mega Man. The most recent CIB eBay sale was $310 with 40 bids

Jeez they have gone up. I'm glad five years ago I bought one when it was $35...

#593 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I so wanted to love Mega Man. Had a friend who had a couple, and he was really good at them. But then when I played, I became impatient and couldn't stay alive. Even today I can't stand playing any Mega Mans.

Try the Ninja Gaiden series. That is a very fast paced series where if you stop moving forward you die due to the responning. Your only hope is to push forward relentlessly and time your jumps with rout memory.

#595 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Man...
F--K THOSE EAGLES!

The spinning attack while jumping in the higher levels is just as valuable in Ninja Gaiden as the freaking knife is in Ghost & Goblens. You simply cannot get through the higher levels without it and when you have it you can't do a normal jump attack so you have to use it super duper sparingly so you don't exhaust your Ninja energy...

Crazy hard game. Easily the hardest video game I have on my list of games I beat...

#601 7 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

. Also, you can hold down on the D-Pad when you hit B and you'll do a normal swing instead of the jump-N-Slash.

Ah, I had forgotten. I have not played the game in probably four years.

#606 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Ninja Gaiden is one of the few games, I never finished. Later levels were damn near impossible with the jumps.

The key to the game is always move forward and time your jumps based on what you know is coming, if you do that without standing still for a second to let the respawning creatures start respawning and form their pattern you can get through and look like a pro...but if you stand around and wait for the right second to jump that second will literally never come...

I guess the key is jump and kill while moving forward to stop the respawn by having enough forward progression.

#651 7 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Some food for thought

I think their second idea is the correct one: people are more critical now than they were in past decades, the rise of the internet has made everyone a critic.

In years past I used to frequent a Dragon Age message board, you would have thought the people participating there hated the game and everything associated with it...the posters there made Pinsiders look like constant rainbows and ice cream.

#658 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I see a lot of people buying bootleg reproductions just to have more carts on their shelf. I don't understand that AT ALL. All the money they're spending to collect fake carts...just get one Everdrive.

I don't disagree with you but you gotta admit a bunch of carts (especially in boxes) does look pretty sweet in a game room.

#727 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Neither the GC or Wii had a Mario game at launch.

Paper Mario was available at launch for the Wii per my memory. That was a pretty good game too.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TigerLaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nes-classic-edition-unobtainium?tu=TigerLaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.