IMG_0340 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0339 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0341 (resized).jpeg
_20240408_142036 (resized).JPG
_20240408_142108 (resized).JPG
20240407_103121 (resized).jpg
20240319_202154 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mudflaps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#372 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

My brother built me a raspberry pi with retro pi on it and like every game from nes to PlayStation. Awesome!!

Just bought a Rasberry Pi 3 with Retropie. NES30 Pro Bluetooth controller. Can't wait to try it out!

#382 7 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I just built one about a week ago, and I'm using a Wii Classic controller. I've messed with emulators in the past, but this is the only time other than on portable systems that I could see it actually getting used.
It's easy enough for my son (almost 5 yrs) to start up and pick a game. It even plays PS1 and N64 at decent speeds.
As for setting it up, it's a one step to write the image to the card, and it has shared folders that you can write ROMs to over a network.
The Wii Classic controller, however, was a pain in the ass. I had to modify the driver and recompile it for the analog sticks to work. I'd recommend a different controller. I only used it because it's the only one I had laying around.

I have an XBox MAME that the kids use with the Tankstick. Not the best UI, but it works. It's good the hear that the Retropie UI is easy.

As soon as I saw the NES30 Pro, I knew that was the controller to use. Good reviews too. Hopefully it will be easy to configure.

IMG_1491 (resized).JPGIMG_1491 (resized).JPG

#385 7 years ago

Retropie is great because you can experience console games with a handheld controller. I use a modded XBox with a Tankstick for MAME.

I bought original console controllers to use console games with the XBox, but this requires messing with wires and dongles. Too much of a pain.

#399 7 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

I'm really thinking about building retropie from a kit, any recommendations on kits and controllers? Mainly hoping to play N64 and NES/SNES games and maybe some arcades

CanaKit had a good kit on Amazon. No controllers. $75

https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Complete-Starter-Kit/dp/B01C6Q2GSY/ref=sr_1_2

I picked up a kit from eBay with the NES30 Pro controller and preconfigured microSD. There are a ton of tutorials on eBay for updating software, loading ROMs, etc.

Get a quality controller. Most of the aftermarket wired controllers are garbage.

#407 7 years ago

The Raspberry Pi 3 board is ~$40. A Zero is cheaper but less robust.

Factor in case, wires, MicroSD, etc, and $75 is spot on.

Controller is personal preference. A complete system can definitely be had for less than $100.

#430 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

9/9/99. I was a huge DC supporter back in the day....even took off work to get one on launch day. I even still have the original Ready 2 Rumble disc with all skipping issues. I remember the first time I played Daytona USA online on dial up against other people and I was like WOW.....this is fun! When the DC was dying out I bought a bunch of games for dirt cheap as they were just getting rid of stock and found there was a ton of great games to own....fun times! I still have all my collection.....even kept my Samba De Amigo with two sets of maracas controllers and Typing of the Dead with keyboards. I haven't bought any of the games that people kept making for them but I know the system is still be kept alive.

Aaaahhhh 9/9/99. I also went to Wal Mart and bought a brand new Dreamcast.

Such a fun and underrated system. Good times.

#460 7 years ago

Received my Raspberry pi 3 yesterday along with the NES30 Pro controller. Messed around with it most of yesterday. Here's my initial take:

- Retropie is awesome... as long as you're willing to tweak a plethora of settings. Not plug/play, but nothing cosmic.
- I ran into pretty much every problem possible (no sound, screen resolution, bluetooth wonkiness, configuration issues), but nothing that couldn't be solved
- NES30 Pro controller is already on eBay... it looks great, but was too small and I didn't care for the trigger placement; I replaced it with a Wii U Pro controller based on some recommendations and so far it's awesome-o

If you're willing to work with some minor lines of code to remedy a few issues, then Retropie is an awesome, cost effective little system. Kudos to the developers.

#464 7 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Can a rpi3 play psx and n64 at full speed?

I haven't tried those. Word on the streets is that Goldeneye and Mario run pretty well. PSX seems to be hit or miss.

Quoted from herg:Well, crap. I just ordered one today. I figure it will be good for my son's 5 yr old hands. I'll probably end up with a Wii U Pro as well. No issues setting it up? The Wii Classic was a royal pain.

I've only tried a few games on each, but PSX worked great. N64 has slowdown on both games I tried, but it's playable, especially when using RiceVideo. My son will be happy with it, but I'll play the real thing if I need a fix.

Easy peasy. I did massive Youtubing to determine the best controller. I tried my PS4 controller, but the damn thing kept turning on my PS4. Go figure.

So far, the Wii U Pro is solid, heavy, and works great.

#467 7 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Can a rpi3 play psx and n64 at full speed?

Here's a helpful video on increasing N64 resolution without sacrificing performance. It's next on my list.

#472 7 years ago

Dracula X. Probably the best Castlevania game IMO.

#483 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

SotN is the best castlevania imo

I always hear that, and I've tried, but I can't get into it. It's too open world for me, I guess. I prefer Rondo of Blood or Super Castlevania IV.

#494 7 years ago

Wii U Pro controller still doing great with Retropie. Connects without issue, feels great, and it's very responsive. Spendy, but worth it.

#515 7 years ago

That's pretty cool.

One of the great things about the NES Classic is the menu system. Everdrive is phenomenal, but the menu system is terrible.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before more ROMs can be added to the Classic, but 95 is still pretty great.

#559 7 years ago

I played the shit out of Sewer Shark on Sega CD!

#567 7 years ago

Did anyone have the Power Glove? Fess up!

IMG_1504 (resized).JPGIMG_1504 (resized).JPG

1 year later
#1882 5 years ago

So I picked up the NES and SNES Classic and loaded them with my favorites. My favorite aspect of the systems is playing with the original controller and not clunky 3rd party crap.

So now that I’m good with Nintendo, I’ve been exploring a Sega version. The ATGames versions are garbage, so I decided to build my own with the Genesis USB hub from NerdBlock.

The raspberry pi fits perfectly, so my plan is to make my own Genesis console complete with the original controller. Tons of tutorials out there, so it shouldn’t be too cosmic.

4C7575BE-D033-4202-8CFC-54DCD7D74835 (resized).jpeg4C7575BE-D033-4202-8CFC-54DCD7D74835 (resized).jpegA4212454-066D-4614-88ED-EA71B9EB2EE6 (resized).jpegA4212454-066D-4614-88ED-EA71B9EB2EE6 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#1902 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Dang. Thought that maybe these were starting to become more available. Looks like they're still around $60. But looks like Retroflag is coming out with one soon.

Funny you mention that. ETA Prime just uploaded his review of the Retroflag Mega Drive case. He said it was phenomenal and one of the best retropie cases out there. Definitely a good option, especially for $25 (and integrated power and reset).

The Genesis arrived today and looks great, especially next to the NES and SNES Classic. Having the Sega Genesis label was important to me vs. the generic retropie label on the Retroflag. Looking forward to making another retropie and I’ll definitely report back.

I did order the Retroflag controller because of the select button. I have an OEM Genesis controller, but without a select button, I would probably struggle to sort between games.

Anyway, Retroflag has a ton of great options if you don’t mind the generic label.

#1914 5 years ago
Quoted from bowz:

I can’t remember if anyone talked about this on here, but if someone has a set of Turbografx16 roms, please PM me-I’ve been looking like crazy with no luck.
Thanks,
Steve

Arcadepunks

2 weeks later
#1956 5 years ago

Finished my trifecta of mini retro consoles: NES Mini, SNES Mini and Genesis Mini.

The Genesis is a USB hub with a raspberry pi running RetroPie. The Retroflag Genesis controller is very nice, and the select button is pretty much mandatory when running RetroPie.

C35A6742-E9D6-4736-A23C-0958BB68100C (resized).jpegC35A6742-E9D6-4736-A23C-0958BB68100C (resized).jpeg
1 year later
#2324 3 years ago

Finally have my mini-consoles and arcade set up. Cab is running a raspberry pi 4. Currently configuring my racing cab with a refurbished Dell running CoinOps Next.

0D24A973-1071-4EFE-8F38-D57342B8141A (resized).jpeg0D24A973-1071-4EFE-8F38-D57342B8141A (resized).jpeg
#2326 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Story of my life this weekend. I started with a old hyperspin harddrive with Windows 7. Couldn’t get direct play working. Got frustrated, formatted the hard drive and installed win10.
This is my first time using CoinOPS next software. What I’m having issue with is how to install my own roms, or do I have to download their add on packs? I’ll spen some time with it later today and hopefully get it running.

I’m a total CoinOps noob and unfortunately, there’s not a ton on google.

Adding prebuilt packs is easy. Modifying those packs is problematic. Everything works now, so I’m going to duplicate the folders and mess around with it. If I totally screw up, I can fall back and start again.

To start, I recommend downloading CoinOps Lite. It has pretty much everything you’d need. From there, you can experiment.

#2328 3 years ago

Make sure you’re running both programs in the main folder under ‘Fixes when not working.’ It’s DirectX and something else.

I originally downloaded everything from my Mac and transferred with a thumb drive. Didn’t work. I re-downloaded directly to Windows 10 and all is well.

1 week later
#2338 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Finally have my mini-consoles and arcade set up. Cab is running a raspberry pi 4. Currently configuring my racing cab with a refurbished Dell running CoinOps Next. [quoted image]

Messing around with CoinOps Next, I discovered TeknoParrot. It’s an emulator with many of the early 2000s fighters and racers. Because I have a racing sim, I’m focused on the driving games. So far, I have:

Batman
Outrun 2
Fast and the Furious Drift
Tokyo Cop
Sonic All Stars
H2Overdrive
Dirty Drivin’
some others

All work great with the G29 Logitech steering wheel and have force feedback. Lots of tweaking and settings to go through, but pretty cool once it works.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2344 3 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

making my own racing rig has been something I've been thinking about doing. I do need to finish setting up my upstairs gameroom. But, I should have room when/if I do so.
Any suggestions on what I should get/focus on for when I build my own?

I got everything from https://www.gtomega.com/. In total, the rig was ~ $600. The price goes up with speakers, curved TV, computer/console, etc.

I opted for the Logitech G29 steering wheel, compatible with PC or your console of choice. $299

My original goal was just to play Need For Speed or some old school racing games via MAME. With TeknoParrot, I have many of the mid-2000s racing games that play flawlessly with steering wheel force feedback.

I installed Star Wars Battle Pod last night with a Logitech Thrustmaster HOTAS stick and throttle. Holy crap!

1 year later
#2674 1 year ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Recently I’ve been thinking about getting some kind of portable device that can play old PC games. Something that can play dosbox, with programmable buttons; or maybe small laptop. I dunno. Looking for options and opinions. The steam deck would probably work, but impossible to get right now. A GPD device would work I think, but I wonder if there’s a cheap Chinese emulator device that could play DOS games.

I have a GPD XP and it’s awesome. It runs Launchbox and handles everything up to GameCube.

8 months later
#2766 1 year ago

Ha, same. This showed up and I thought, ‘Who the hell ordered this?” I did, November 2021.

#2768 1 year ago
Quoted from Jason43:

What are your thoughts on it? Can't say I'm super impressed.

The really funny part is that I sold my GameCube a year ago, so I haven’t even taken it out of the box.

6 months later
#2921 8 months ago
Quoted from Zambonilli:

Anyone built an arcade lightgun setup? Anything special that I need to account for? I was going to snag a couple of gun4ir guncons and add to my existing RetroPie setup on my Jetson nano.

I grabbed a light gun cabinet kit from GRS. I’m using Sinden light guns. After some tweaking and a decent computer, it’s super fun. TeknoParrot is a must.

#2926 8 months ago
Quoted from Zambonilli:

Mudflaps Mind sharing what you used for a computer. My main concern would be the jetson nano isn't powerful enough since it's mainly a cheap and dirty ~switch level GPU.

I have a shitty Dell but it’s running a GEForce GTX 1650 graphics card. I have a racing sim that I just upgraded to a Minisforum NPB7.

Both are fine, and you shouldn’t need a crazy graphics card to get MAME and TeknoParrot going.

#2929 8 months ago

Sinden has built in software to add the white borders (there's a button on the gun). Likewise, you can import custom MAME bezels with a white border and arcade graphics.

Having said that, some software won't allow the white border to run over the game (many Teknoparrot games). For those games, you need Reshader to add the borders. So, not plug and play, but super awesome after all the per-game tweaks.

1 month later
#2974 7 months ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Dumb question, but will you be able to use wireless controllers with the 2600+?

8BitDo has good Bluetooth capability for the mini consoles. They have kits to convert the packaged wired controllers into wireless controllers for the NES and SNES. I’m sure someone will create a dongle and wireless controller for the 2600+.

I picked up the 2600+, and I’m curious if it will play the multi carts.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mudflaps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nes-classic-edition-unobtainium?tu=Mudflaps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.