DSC_4700 (resized).JPG
DSC_4699 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240405_080331 (resized).jpg
_20240411_210104 (resized).JPG
DSC_4645 (resized).JPG
DSC_4642 (resized).JPG
DSC_4626 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
There are 3,073 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 62.
#201 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Well, now they all say zero again.

Yup all stores sold out in my state 30 min after. They still have them in OR. I think people are just flipping going insane over this.

#202 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

why do the boxes look so weird? they custom?

Yes...you can buy those on ebay.

#204 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

like rental clamshells or something?

They are Universal Game Cases. I bought them by the case from www.mediashelving.com.

IMG_16601_zpsznrht0vh (resized).jpgIMG_16601_zpsznrht0vh (resized).jpg

#205 7 years ago

I used to have those when I used to have my video game rental business. Those were nice because they worked for many different cartridges.

#206 7 years ago

I have zero regrets about switching over to these cases. I think they provide a nice clean look.

#207 7 years ago

I still don't get the "create more demand" strategy that Nintendo is alleged of. How does people selling this on ebay for 4 times the price help Nintendo? Sure, as they trickle out releases, they'll get snatched up immediately but they'd sell a ton nonetheless if more were available. Look at the PS4 when it was released. Sort of hard to get but not unobtainable. Sony sold a ton and has outpaced Microsoft since. I don't get this strategy.

On the other hand, if Nintendo really didn't forsee the demand this thing will have, then shame on them for not knowing their consumer. But I think that's BS. They wouldn't allow pre-orders to gauge interest. Nintendo knew this was going to be a popular item. This is not 1985 anymore. F*ck the "holiday hysteria" mentality. Why not just make more to sell? Popularity will wane after the holidays.

Personally, I wanted one. Just to play Punch Out! (really wanted Mike Tyson though ). But I'll just wait till I find one later...for $60. Not $300. I've been playing that game for almost 30 years. Sold my original Nintendo and cartridge earlier this year. I can wait.

If you think this is bad, just wait for the Switch launch in March....

#208 7 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

If you think this is bad, just wait for the Switch launch in March....

No doubt, I'll be in the tent in front of best buy, just like I did with the wife and the kid. Was fun, but I wasn't there nearly as long as I was for the Xbox 360 (18 hours)...the tent was just a windbreak because it was frigging freezing and windy!

#209 7 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

How does people selling this on ebay for 4 times the price help Nintendo?

Because it's like a snowball effect. With a low quantity first batch, those who have wanted one from day one will post topics about how hard they are to find in the store, on forums that deal with another subject. Then as more and more people read those posts, more people want in on the action to find one in the store. Then it's a second hand set of people who never wanted one in the first place, but then do after seeing how hard it was to find one, and then they found one.

Then those second hand people will post about finding them, while there are still some from the first set that have yet to have found one. Then after months of this talk, 3rd and 4th tier groups now want into the action of being able to find these in the store.

Now if they released just enough plus a little extra to cover everyone who wanted one from day 1, then no discussion would have ever taken place, and the "Hunt" to find one in the store would not be there.

That's how this works. They couldn't care less about the $100's that people are making on ebay. They are playing the long con.

#210 7 years ago

I still don't think people are going to care much beyond the holidays. It's not like a console that's going to keep releasing games.

#211 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Damn, that's a $200-300 cart right there!!!
The only carts I kept were Starfox and Yoshi's Island, as they don't work on SD2SNES. I might pick up the Japanese game Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius as well, since that doesn't work yet.

is that the "chattering parodius" version with the extra chip in it for all of the voice-over stuff? somehow, I think I missed that one when I used to purchase super famicom titles at launch

dragon ball z: hyper dimension is another cart that fetches a good amount of money and doesn't work on the SD2SNES cart

#212 7 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

I still don't think people are going to care much beyond the holidays. It's not like a console that's going to keep releasing games.

I didn't think I'd care about the Wii after 2 years, I still didn't, but I did buy one when I saw one.

#213 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

No doubt, I'll be in the tent in front of best buy, just like I did with the wife and the kid. Was fun, but I wasn't there nearly as long as I was for the Xbox 360 (18 hours)...the tent was just a windbreak because it was frigging freezing and windy!

That's hard core. Supply is different depending on where you live. I walked into my local Circuit City (remember that?) and picked one up a few weeks after launch. BUT, I work a job where I had days off during the M-F and wasn't married, no kids, no mortgage. What did I do when I had a job that paid pretty good compared to my expenses? Went shopping of course! Panera Bread for lunch and then trips to Electronics Boutique, Best Buy, Tweeter and Circuit City. If I had the time, then a trip to the local mall arcade! Yea, there was still one. The guy had a great video game setup with all the cabs slapped right next to each other in a dark room. His pinball collection was "meh" at best. Gottlieb's Rescue 911, Strikes and Spares with Stern's Meteor and Sega's Viper and, the best, being Data East's Star Wars. Wait? What were we talking about? Oh, yea. Nintendo. Those were the days. Pre-ordering Ocarina of Time and getting the gold cartridge and bag.....Ahhhhhh

#214 7 years ago

I think that's exactly right. There were probably people who were 50/50 on wanting one pre-release. Those same people would for sure buy it if they saw it on the shelves right now.

#215 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

is that the "chattering parodius" version with the extra chip in it for all of the voice-over stuff?

Yeah! I have the Saturn version, which is mostly better - but the SFC version has a few different levels. I used to have the SFC version, but sold it way back when. Kinda wanna play it again...but I'd need the real cart.

#216 7 years ago

This guy has a few, he probably made 35k off this lot

received_10157809665225241 (resized).jpegreceived_10157809665225241 (resized).jpeg

#217 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

the SFC version has a few different levels.

Dangit...shut up. I don't need more things to spend money on and I have the Saturn one also...

#218 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

AT least 244 of them. So he spent $14,640 before tax. Wonder if those were the ones that "fell off the truck?" From the sounds of it, I'm guessing all the stores combined in some large cities didn't even get that many.

#219 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

AT least 244 of them. So he spent $14,640 before tax. Wonder if those were the ones that "fell off the truck?" From the sounds of it, I'm guessing all the stores combined in some large cities didn't even get that many.

Could easily be out of country. I guess Brazil no one wanted them so they had tons of stock.....

1 week later
#220 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

My, what a huge douchebage scalper!

#221 7 years ago

+1 for RetroUSB AVS. I love that thing. I've still got a real NES, but there's no reason to play it anymore now that I've got the AVS.

IMG_3427 (resized).JPGIMG_3427 (resized).JPG

#222 7 years ago

I ended up making my own with a Raspberry Pi Zero stuffed in an old cart roughly using the guide posted earlier in the thread. t was a bit more work than i anticipated but it was fun. I wish the cutouts for the power, video, etc were a little neater. I have some ideas if I were to make another.

2016-11-21 23.11.20 (resized).jpg2016-11-21 23.11.20 (resized).jpg

2016-11-21 23.11.15 (resized).jpg2016-11-21 23.11.15 (resized).jpg

2016-11-21 23.11.23 (resized).jpg2016-11-21 23.11.23 (resized).jpg

2016-11-21 23.11.29 (resized).jpg2016-11-21 23.11.29 (resized).jpg

#223 7 years ago

man you guys make me want an AVS bad but that is a lot to spend on a system when I have a pile of NES's. I have a stack of nes and other systems I should sell

I like my NES on my CRT but it would be nice to play NES games upstairs without lag and looking crappy

plus its kind of a PIA to play my famicom games on my nes with the converter

#224 7 years ago

How do the retropi systems look when hooked up to a modern day LED/Plasma ?

#225 7 years ago

RetroUSB does make great products, I highly recommend. I am mainly a Nintendo collector and just getting into pinball a bit. I'm not surprised people dig this box! HDMI output is a big selling feature and the controllers are reportedly really great. Tough to beat a compact system with great controls and 30 fun games put out by the original manufacturer for sixty bucks.

#226 7 years ago

RetroAvs is great and you can use any controller you want!

1480198826035139185887 (resized).jpg1480198826035139185887 (resized).jpg

#227 7 years ago
Quoted from grbgemen:

I think it looks great. I'm not sure if a picture would do it justice, maybe I'll try to snap one tomorrow.

#228 7 years ago

My idiot cousin bought three of these at Gamestop day of release and didn't sell them. I told him he was an idiot. If you can buy them now why wouldn't you sell them for a profit while you can? In January they'll be stacked on the shelves and no one will care. This is all just hype before Christmas.

#229 7 years ago

I want one but I'll wait. It's worth what it sells for on store shelves.

#230 7 years ago

The ones here hit Kijiji really fast at 350 to 550 but they are down to 200 to 150 already, these guys deserve to be beaten but I'll grab one at 100 should it come up.

#231 7 years ago

Played some Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, over the holiday weekend. Never have played it before.

I've built a RetroPie Tv Console, but this Gameboy Zero is my favorite. ALL the games in the old classic gameboy. Even my brother-in-law was playing Pokemon Yellow pretty hard. So awesome being able to play all the games that you've always wanted, but either never had that system, or even knew you wanted the game.

2016-11-25 13.10.20 (resized).jpg2016-11-25 13.10.20 (resized).jpg

#232 7 years ago
Quoted from grbgemen:

Better than you've ever seen a game like that before. They are pixel perfect. I was skeptical. But there's no way you can get a clearer picture.

It's kind of amazing knowing that we're playing games that look better than what the guys who made the games saw when they were developing them.

#233 7 years ago

Any of these that will be sold by the end of the year were already built and shipped from China months ago - they can't just call up and order more.

Nintendo is trickling out supply for free publicity and to ensure stock sells out.

They're definitely going for nostalgia now (25-35 year olds as seen in Switch video) as Nintendo means nothing to kids.

Played through Super Dodge Ball last night on my AVS!

#234 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Played some Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, over the holiday weekend. Never have played it before.
I've built a RetroPie Tv Console, but this Gameboy Zero is my favorite. ALL the games in the old classic gameboy. Even my brother-in-law was playing Pokemon Yellow pretty hard. So awesome being able to play all the games that you've always wanted, but either never had that system, or even knew you wanted the game.

The emulators for PSP are pretty great. No hardware modifications needed. I played through Super Metroid on it. I have a memory card that has NES, SNES, GB, GBA, SMS, GEN, GG, PCE and even a very basic N64 emulator. I haven't checked the scene in years but maybe they've improved the N64 emulator to be more playable. It was pretty much just a novelty five years ago. Oh and you can play PSP games. I've played through quite a few and the library of games is pretty diverse and full of quality titles.

Emulators for the DS are pretty good as well. I was really impressed with the Neo Geo emulator for the DS.

#235 7 years ago

Just started a Raspberry Pi 3 project today with RetroPie installed. Bought one of those Canakits with everything you need (aside from a controller). Got a few roms loaded up to test it and its working well. Great alternative for doing some retro gaming. I would still love to own an NES classic eventually to display on my shelf. Always been a Nintendo fan.

#236 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Would be careful with believing Target's inventory system. Drove 40 minutes to a store that said "in stock" and when I asked the guy he said "Nope, sorry. Glitch in the system."
Just happened to be the phones for all their stores were down that same day and I couldn't call first.

I worked for Target unloading trucks and stocking shelves in high school and college and I would agree with this. I remember when PS3 came out and that was the hot Christmas toy. We only received one box of PS3s before Christmas and if IIRC it only had six in one box. I bought two and others snatched the other four. Nothing hit the shelf. I would only drive to a store if the manager is actually holding the item for me that day.

#237 7 years ago

After getting pissed off from the whole day of release ordering fiasco, I just turned an old laptop I wasn't using into a console emulator. Just played through Super Metroid and it was every bit as fun as I remember. 100% item collection rating isn't too bad just based on memory from over 20 years ago lol. Going to start Zelda for the SNES now but not sure how far I'll get with FFXV on my doorstep Tuesday. Not to mention the black Friday pick ups of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition and Far Cry 4. I should really stop buying games because I have 2 I still have yet to open........

#238 7 years ago

My son and I picked up Excite Bike and Super Return of the Jedi last night on the Wii. Excite Bike was super fun and I hadn't played in nearly 30 years after someone stole the cartridge from me. Too bad we didn't know you had to buy a special controller to plug into the Wii remote for SROTJ. I'll have to order one.

#239 7 years ago

Found this website that helps track hard to find items...

http://www.nowinstock.net/

#240 7 years ago
Quoted from frankie898:

Just started a Raspberry Pi 3 project today with RetroPie installed. Bought one of those Canakits with everything you need (aside from a controller). Got a few roms loaded up to test it and its working well. Great alternative for doing some retro gaming. I would still love to own an NES classic eventually to display on my shelf. Always been a Nintendo fan.

Haha me too! I ordered a PS4 controller but PS3, Xbox ones or the USB retros may work, just need to verify the driver.

#241 7 years ago

Yes, those controllers should work with the Pi3. I am actually using a PS2 controller with a USB adapter i bought several years ago. PS controllers work great since their D-pad is solid and they have all the shoulder/trigger buttons.

#242 7 years ago

Even Walmart is trying to rip us!!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-Entertainment-System-NES-Classic-Edition-Nintendo/54043501

In case the price isn't there it was $498.00+ FREE shipping!!

#243 7 years ago

Those controllers should work with the bluetooth option.

#244 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Even Walmart is trying to rip us!!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-Entertainment-System-NES-Classic-Edition-Nintendo/54043501
In case the price isn't there it was $498.00+ FREE shipping!!

"Sold & Shipped by ProElectronics Distributing Inc."

#245 7 years ago
Quoted from Mwardlow:

Those controllers should work with the bluetooth option.

Quoted from frankie898:

Yes, those controllers should work with the Pi3. I am actually using a PS2 controller with a USB adapter i bought several years ago. PS controllers work great since their D-pad is solid and they have all the shoulder/trigger buttons.

rock on Mine just arrived today! I'll throw it together tonight and test on nes/snes. Also busted out my DC's and fired up some good ole soul calibur, crazy taxi and hydro thunder...ughhhh old games are hard as hell!!!

I'm still looking for the nes classic, uart and linux hacking is going to be fun!

#247 7 years ago

Check your brickseek, many targets had a shipment today but the ones in the twin cities were bought by employees before store open: also be carful if you're out trying to get them as there are now stories of drug addicts buying them to resell and are jumping or threatening at purchase and in the parking lot. This is just flipping American stupid...

#248 7 years ago

Nintendo had no idea what the market would bear on these, so they went risk averse and didn't make a lot of them. Same thing they did on the Wii and N64. Not sure on WiiU - seems like they kinda screwed up on that somehow. Anyway, they make decisions based on inventory cost - but I'm sure they don't complain when it *does* create hype in the marketplace. Again, same thing with the Wii... This basically cost them $0 and they are cleaning up...

#250 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Nintendo had no idea what the market would bear on these, so they went risk averse and didn't make a lot of them. Same thing they did on the Wii and N64. Not sure on WiiU - seems like they kinda screwed up on that somehow. Anyway, they make decisions based on inventory cost - but I'm sure they don't complain when it *does* create hype in the marketplace. Again, same thing with the Wii... This basically cost them $0 and they are cleaning up...

Luckily I was camping out for 24hours for the wii... but yes it was a insane xmas that year.

They know the interest in the new switch and I bet they mess it up too

There are 3,073 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 62.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nes-classic-edition-unobtainium/page/5?hl=jjhlh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.