Screenshot_20231214-161932 (resized).png
Screenshot_20231214-155422 (resized).png
Screenshot_20231214-155413 (resized).png
_20231105_171238 (resized).JPG
DSC_4233 (resized).JPG
DSC_4237 (resized).JPG
Jr9L1tY (resized).png
drvgs (resized).png

There are 3,043 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 61.
#2851 10 months ago

After watching the Tetris movie, I got nostalgic for old gameboy games so I picked up an Anbernic. Been playing a color romhack of Super Mario Land. This stuff is fun! May go replay a bunch of snes games after I get done with playing the mario/warioland series.

#2852 10 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

This is a bit of a drive for me but is there any reason this would not work?
$30
baltimore.craigslist.org link
An HDMI to DVI converter is like $5 on Amazon so I could still use the modern licensed retro consoles. I see RGB, SVIDEO, and coax inputs. I should be able to hook up pretty much any vintage system up to PS2 on this without issue right? This should work with an old fashioned NES zapper gun as well correct?
Thanks guys!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Boom!

Don't notice any lag but I'm not a purist. Sound on this is amazing. Read this has a built in woofer. Have to buy some new cords to get the "mini" consoles to work. Forgot DVI is HD but has no sound. Might pick up a few original systems mainly NES or SNES at yard sales if I come across the. And a multi cart. Picture is perfect for old consoles. Totally worth $30. Harder to move than a pin.

20230527_095911 (resized).jpg20230527_095911 (resized).jpg
#2853 10 months ago

That's awesome! Assuming that's your son, now he gets to play like us 90s kids, with his dad to boot! The only thing I would recommend to improve your setup is to get an s-video cable. It will eliminate dot crawl (that checkerboarding pattern) in areas of the picture with bright colors. Diddy Kong Racing should benefit quite a bit from that. Picture quality will be very close to component or RGB. Get a used Nintendo cable though, for N64 or Gamecube. I bought a third party crappy Chinese one for my PS2 and found out its not wired right, or there is signal crosstalk.

#2854 10 months ago

Boom!
Don't notice any lag but I'm not a purist. Sound on this is amazing. Read this has a built in woofer. Have to buy some new cords to get the "mini" consoles to work. Forgot DVI is HD but has no sound. Might pick up a few original systems mainly NES or SNES at yard sales if I come across the. And a multi cart. Picture is perfect for old consoles. Totally worth $30. Harder to move than a pin.
[quoted image]

Looks awesome! As a guy that owns a modest amount of high priced 16bit from my childhood, look into alternatives before original hardware. I'd really check out the Mister. It's a cool project, and if you're starting from nothing, that's going to be way way more economical. The fpga allows really dedicated programmers to perfectly emulate the hardware, and then you're able to bring your own software to the party.

#2855 10 months ago

Here's how I "added" component video to my RGB TV for just $35.

DSC_3530 (resized).JPGDSC_3530 (resized).JPG_20230527_135214 (resized).JPG_20230527_135214 (resized).JPG_20230527_135415 (resized).JPG_20230527_135415 (resized).JPG_20230527_135507 (resized).JPG_20230527_135507 (resized).JPG_20230527_135538 (resized).JPG_20230527_135538 (resized).JPG

#2856 10 months ago

The only thing I don’t like about SCART is that it was never a standard in North American like it was in Europe. Sure you get a better picture from it, but if I have to mod my systems and tv to make it happen, then it’s a pretty big barrier for entry.

#2857 10 months ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Looks awesome! As a guy that owns a modest amount of high priced 16bit from my childhood, look into alternatives before original hardware. I'd really check out the Mister. It's a cool project, and if you're starting from nothing, that's going to be way way more economical. The fpga allows really dedicated programmers to perfectly emulate the hardware, and then you're able to bring your own software to the party.

I've done the whole pi build in an arcade cabinet, but am looking for more of an old school feel here. I'm actually going to go to a local place that is poorly advertised that I've seen NES and SNES's at before. I have come to the conclusion that retro gaming is essentially... free, even on authentic hardware. Sure it may cost a couple hundred for a handful of old consoles and the cartiges sell for high prices on ebay but if I spend $20 on a cartrige and then sell it for $20, how much did it really cost? I don't plan on having a wall full of cartiges or a big fancy display full of this stuff. I'd really like to start out with a basic NES and a few cartiges I've never played that are fairly common that I eyed as a kid. Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, Megaman. Play them then let them go. I could also see getting some systems for light gun games now that I have something to play them on. There is a deep dark rabbit hole you can go down with all of this and its fun. So far the only thing I've really been able to play on this setup is Diddy Kong Racing, which can't hold a candle to Mario Kart 8. But some things like 2d platformers I think can't be beat on an 8 or even a 16 bit system.

#2858 10 months ago

I've done the whole pi build in an arcade cabinet, but am looking for more of an old school feel here. I'm actually going to go to a local place that is poorly advertised that I've seen NES and SNES's at before. I have come to the conclusion that retro gaming is essentially... free, even on authentic hardware. Sure it may cost a couple hundred for a handful of old consoles and the cartiges sell for high prices on ebay but if I spend $20 on a cartrige and then sell it for $20, how much did it really cost? I don't plan on having a wall full of cartiges or a big fancy display full of this stuff. I'd really like to start out with a basic NES and a few cartiges I've never played that are fairly common that I eyed as a kid. Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, Megaman. Play them then let them go. I could also see getting some systems for light gun games now that I have something to play them on. There is a deep dark rabbit hole you can go down with all of this and its fun. So far the only thing I've really been able to play on this setup is Diddy Kong Racing, which can't hold a candle to Mario Kart 8. But some things like 2d platformers I think can't be beat on an 8 or even a 16 bit system.

Just get a Everdrive cart and forget about buying carts.

#2859 10 months ago

mtn- some of us hate money and want the authentic thing. We don't claim it makes sense we just accept it.

#2860 10 months ago
Quoted from Nintegageo:

mtn- some of us hate money and want the authentic thing. We don't claim it makes sense we just accept it.

Haha. Ok

#2861 10 months ago
Quoted from mtn-:

I just bought the Turbo Everdrive Pro for TurboGrafx-16. It was difficult at first to justify the price, but the party trick this thing has is save state and cheat support. Yeah, for the first time in history this console from 1987 has actual save game support for most HuCard titles. That was my biggest issue with the system, and it's the only reason it still sits in a box unplayed for me. Has any other flash cart achieved save states in hardware before?

Having the ability to use actual save states in hardware with a simple flash cart and no other hardware hacks is stuff of wizards to me. And what's better is I can take my game saves with me by simply moving the cartridge to my Turbo Express. Super cool.

#2862 10 months ago

Most of the everdrives have save state support. I have a couple of them and never had an issue. https://everdrivestore.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmtGjBhDhARIsAEqfDEcYmaJytkxNw4RR8J1btnlunR8-ECtTZwCqMH2jokN1pCiVvRgltKAaAggtEALw_wcB

#2863 10 months ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Winner winner chicken dinner

Boom!
[quoted image]

Good job! As long as you're using original consoles and using analog inputs (RF, composite, component) you shouldn't notice any lag. It's when you have those "retro relaunch" consoles, or certain digital outputs on newer consoles (gen 5 and above) that you may see lag.

#2864 10 months ago

That's awesome.

#2865 10 months ago

Ordered a NES with a small collection of carts with the games I'm MOST interested in from ebay ($240) along with a multicart from Etsy ($40). https://www.etsy.com/listing/1246290450/the-ultimate-nes-remix-the-best-games?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=multicart&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&frs=1&organic_search_click=1
154 games in one sounds pretty good to me. Everdrive is expensive! Like $200 I was surprised and am skipping for now. Hopefully this multicart performs as advertised. The only 2 carts that don't come with this that mean anything to me are "Little League Baseball World Series" and "Tetris" which are both dirt cheap if I decide to get legit copies. Might pick up Hogan's Alley or another light gun game if I find them dirt cheap.

I have my SNES classic piped into my TV via composite but it doesn't use the whole screen used... but it's still like 27 inches. Gotta see if DVI works better.

Picked up a multicart for the N64 and for the SNES. I think I am most interested in the NES games. Going to pick up a cheap SNES to play the multicart and I think I'm good. Ordered the SVIDEO outputs for the SNES and N64 which were surprisingly cheap. Thats enough to keep me in a new video game every week for years if I wanted it.

Retro gaming priorities:

1. SNES Zelda Link to the Past (Currently playing on SNES Classic). Looks beautiful on the CRT.
2. NES Duck Hunt with the kids
3. NES Duck Tales
4. NES Metroid
5. N64 Rogue Squadron

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg
#2866 10 months ago

Ordered a NES with a small collection of carts with the games I'm MOST interested in from ebay ($240) along with a multicart from Etsy ($40). https://www.etsy.com/listing/1246290450/the-ultimate-nes-remix-the-best-games?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=multicart&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&frs=1&organic_search_click=1
154 games in one sounds pretty good to me. Everdrive is expensive! Like $200 I was surprised and am skipping for now. Hopefully this multicart performs as advertised. The only 2 carts that don't come with this that mean anything to me are "Little League Baseball World Series" and "Tetris" which are both dirt cheap if I decide to get legit copies. Might pick up Hogan's Alley or another light gun game if I find them dirt cheap.
I have my SNES classic piped into my TV via composite but it doesn't use the whole screen used... but it's still like 27 inches. Gotta see if DVI works better.
Picked up a multicart for the N64 and for the SNES. I think I am most interested in the NES games. Going to pick up a cheap SNES to play the multicart and I think I'm good. Ordered the SVIDEO outputs for the SNES and N64 which were surprisingly cheap. Thats enough to keep me in a new video game every week for years if I wanted it.
Retro gaming priorities:
1. SNES Zelda Link to the Past (Currently playing on SNES Classic). Looks beautiful on the CRT.
2. NES Duck Hunt with the kids
3. NES Duck Tales
4. NES Metroid
5. N64 Rogue Squadron
[quoted image]

Sell all the carts you just picked up for that NES and just get an Everdrive for the NES. You'll come out ahead, and never have to mess with inserting/removing carts again. It's WAY worth the price of admission.

#2867 10 months ago

I rather the authentic route . I know everdrives play the exact same, the ocd in me just knows that it's not.

#2868 10 months ago
Quoted from Nintegageo:

I rather the authentic route . I know everdrives play the exact same, the ocd in me just knows that it's not.

My choice is for monetary AND space reasons. There's absolutely no way I'd ever be able to afford a full set of carts for each system, and I'd likely not want to catalog/store them either. Just turning the system on and playing the game is where it's at for me.

To each their own. I get the "authentic" argument. There's currently a tetris cart in my NES at the moment. LOL

#2869 10 months ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Sell all the carts you just picked up for that NES and just get an Everdrive for the NES. You'll come out ahead, and never have to mess with inserting/removing carts again. It's WAY worth the price of admission.

That multicart I picked up has 99% of what I'd want. If its crap I'll sell it and get an everdrive. An everdrive for a SNES, NES, and N64 would have come up close to $800. The other multicarts cost me 150 for all 3. Plus I kind of want my kids to be able to try out some stuff on their own. That pile of stuff that comes with that NES is enough to easily take up a year's worth of free time without me even touching my pinball machines. I'm having a blast with all of this though.

The not having to insert/remove carts again reminds me of the old infomercial where the actors were always ridiculously incompetent like these old ones.

#2870 10 months ago

Haha I totally understand. Once I got into pinball ownership, rather than just playing, I had to make some tough choices.

That's 3 shelves and I went down to 1.. plus book shelves and those tall thin DVD ones.. but yes, I understand!

game room (resized).jpggame room (resized).jpg
#2871 10 months ago

If you're on a budget, most of the Chinese everdrive clones work surprisingly well and usually come loaded with the full library of games, although not perfectly organized. They are however, direct ripoffs of the real everdrive, so there's some ethics to consider.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with multi carts. They get the job done perfectly well.

#2872 10 months ago
Quoted from Jason43:

They are however, direct ripoffs of the real everdrive, so there's some ethics to consider.

If you're considering the Everdrive, then ethics regarding ripoffs aren't really a concern for you.

#2873 10 months ago

If you're considering the Everdrive, then ethics regarding ripoffs aren't really a concern for you.

Indeed.

#2874 10 months ago

Mail call

20230530_133610 (resized).jpg20230530_133610 (resized).jpg20230530_141048 (resized).jpg20230530_141048 (resized).jpg
#2875 10 months ago

Mister is a better option than everdrive, especially if you're starting from scratch. I haven't built one yet, but I plan to if the Analogue Pocket with its FPGA doesn't meet my needs docked (and I might just do it anyway). I do have an x7 everdrive cart for the Genesis.

#2876 10 months ago

Worth to mention is that Everdrive carts makes it easy to check out both demo scene and other homebrew releases for all the platforms it exists. I love a nice demo

#2877 10 months ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Mail call

Underated system with a lot of playable games on it. Make certain you try out Alpiner.

#2878 10 months ago
Quoted from Jason43:

If you're on a budget, most of the Chinese everdrive clones work surprisingly well and usually come loaded with the full library of games, although not perfectly organized. They are however, direct ripoffs of the real everdrive, so there's some ethics to consider.

Krikzz the designer of everdrive is from Ukraine and posted on Reddit he was able to get out of the country in 2022…or you can give your money to china. Probably doesn’t matter to most people, but I had to mention it.

#2879 10 months ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Krikzz the designer of everdrive is from Ukraine and posted on Reddit he was able to get out of the country in 2022…or you can give your money to china. Probably doesn’t matter to most people, but I had to mention it.

I wasn't aware of that. It matters to me, I'm just glad he's safe. Just like what was said at the last CNN town hall. "I don't think in terms of winning and losing. I think in terms of getting it settled so we stop killing all these people."

Let's be honest, without getting political. Yes the Everdrive stuff is nice, but getting Krikzz out of that war zone and preserving another human life is a win that can't be replaced. I hope his family was able to follow him to safety.

Thanks for sharing.

#2880 10 months ago

My favorite thing about the everdrive is playing a game to see if it's worth buying. I have a selection of carts I love and I try a game out before I try to buy a copy. If I like how a game plays on everdrive I add it to my slowly growing collection.

#2881 10 months ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Mail call

I had Safari by Bambino growing up. Never saw the boxing!

#2882 10 months ago

And today's mail call...

20230601_151901 (resized).jpg20230601_151901 (resized).jpg
#2883 10 months ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Mail call

Always think of playing tunnels of doom at my uncle’s as a kid when I see a TI.

#2884 9 months ago

Just added a PS classic mini to the collection today.

IMG_0198 (resized).jpegIMG_0198 (resized).jpeg
#2885 9 months ago

After having this on my want and watch list on ebay for 2 years finally pulled the trigger on the game and so happy with it the ball physics aren't great but the music is killer.

20230605_181413 (resized).jpg20230605_181413 (resized).jpg
#2886 9 months ago

Holy cow... the svideo connector makes a huge difference in picture quality. If the TV you use supports it get one for your SNES.

20230605_201432 (resized).jpg20230605_201432 (resized).jpg

#2887 9 months ago
Quoted from Mcshaney:

After having this on my want and watch list on ebay for 2 years finally pulled the trigger on the game and so happy with it the ball physics aren't great but the music is killer.
[quoted image]

Seen this?

https://atarigamer.com/pages/lcd-replacement-mod-kits-for-atari-lynx

#2888 9 months ago

$35 off of Etsy. It works exactly as described. If you have a SNES get you one of these. I'm sure everdrive is better but this was plug and play. Got the first few penants in a link to the past. Smashed 2 NESs together to get one that works. Still waiting for the multicart on that one. Disappointed Duck Hunt won't work but all else seems good.

20230608_155233 (resized).jpg20230608_155233 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2889 9 months ago

Did anyone else order a McNugget Tetris game from china? I bought two off of eBay, the first has arrived, but I’m waiting for the second before I decide what one to open.

IMG_0202 (resized).jpegIMG_0202 (resized).jpeg
#2890 9 months ago

Did anyone else order a McNugget Tetris game from china? I bought two off of eBay, the first has arrived, but I’m waiting for the second before I decide what one to open.
[quoted image]

As a Tetris player who use to stream and collects McDonald’s merchandise, I want one. I’m just too cheap.

#2891 9 months ago

[quoted image]

I've been thinking about it. I'm sure as soon as I do, they'll announce them here for five bucks with a happy meal.

#2892 9 months ago

First game purchase in ages...

20230620_151757 (resized).jpg20230620_151757 (resized).jpg
#2893 9 months ago

Okay, my retro game multikarts I bought off etsy all work perfectly, so it looks like I'm going to be selling these. The only thing it doesn't do well are the SUPERFX Chip games so I'm holding on to Mario Kart and Starfox. Are there any gems in here? I'm thinking of listing the SNES games as a lot, the N64 games as a lot, and the Nintendo Games as a lot on ebay. The Metal Warriors Kart is Fake and the NES Metroid has a graphical glitch and doesn't play right but everything else seems to work.

Edit. Listed on ebay so no longer available. Thanks!

20230625_095012.jpg20230625_095012.jpg

#2894 9 months ago

Got the Dreamcast up and running again yesterday. Played Virtua Tennis 2 for five hours.

Thinking about getting a GDEmu, they are cheap enough and seem to work just fine from ali express. Anyone have any experience?

#2895 9 months ago

Okay, my retro game multikarts I bought off etsy all work perfectly, so it looks like I'm going to be selling these. The only thing it doesn't do well are the SUPERFX Chip games so I'm holding on to Mario Kart and Starfox. Are there any gems in here? I'm thinking of listing the SNES games as a lot, the N64 games as a lot, and the Nintendo Games as a lot on ebay. The Metal Warriors Kart is Fake and the NES Metroid has a graphical glitch and doesn't play right but everything else seems to work.
Edit. Listed on ebay so no longer available. Thanks!
[quoted image]

There’s some great games there but nothing that’s crazy expensive that I can see, although I havent paid much attention to prices in years and I don’t follow snes closely.

Quoted from mtn-:

Got the Dreamcast up and running again yesterday. Played Virtua Tennis 2 for five hours.
Thinking about getting a GDEmu, they are cheap enough and seem to work just fine from ali express. Anyone have any experience?

My Dreamcast was modded before I got it, so I don’t know if it’s a Chinese version, but I’ve not had any issues with it

#2896 9 months ago
Quoted from mtn-:

I know some others will rail on me for this, but if you're gonna buy a GDEmu, go ahead and buy one right from the maker, Krikzz. Those clones on Ali Express are knockoffs of his invention - support the maker.

#2897 9 months ago

I understand using original hardware but, I would spend your money on an emulation device that can hook up to your TV. There are lots out there. I like this one.
https://www.goretroid.com/collections/retro-game-system/products/retroid-pocket-3-handheld-retro-gaming-system-1

I have and use this
https://www.samsung.com/us/tablets/galaxy-tab-s/galaxy-tab-s7-11-inch-mystic-black-128gb-wi-fi-sm-t870nzkaxar/

IMG_20220511_123610 (resized).jpgIMG_20220511_123610 (resized).jpg
#2898 9 months ago

I know some others will rail on me for this, but if you're gonna buy a GDEmu, go ahead and buy one right from the maker, Krikzz. Those clones on Ali Express are knockoffs of his invention - support the maker.

Valid point. Only problem is he didnt create the GDEmu.
And original creator seem to have stopped selling them in 2022.

#2899 9 months ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Valid point. Only problem is he didnt create the GDEmu.
And original creator seem to have stopped selling them in 2022.

Oh yeah, that's right, the GDEmu is the guy from Poland. His Wordpress site is where he posts regular updates. Subscribe to his blog and you'll be notified when opens orders for GDEmu.

If you don't buy from him, you cannot get service when stuff breaks. And I already know that firmware updates on the clone will brick the clones.

#2900 9 months ago

Huzzah.

20230626_142820 (resized).jpg20230626_142820 (resized).jpg
There are 3,043 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nes-classic-edition-unobtainium/page/58 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.