IMG_0340 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0339 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0341 (resized).jpeg
_20240408_142036 (resized).JPG
_20240408_142108 (resized).JPG
20240407_103121 (resized).jpg
20240319_202154 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
There are 3,070 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 62.
#2501 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

after ordering the gcloader, you need this as well
https://laserbear.net/shop/ols/products/gcloader-sd-mount
it has a built-in SD card extender to bring the slot up to a usable access point and finishes off the gaping hole where the optical drive used to be

Thanks! Ordered both. Looks like used GC consoles go for $50-70 each. What do you think, is it a big deal to just use mine and save the DVD drive when I remove it? I presume it could go backward to original condition with no problem?

I just checked my receipt, bought my Gamecube at Target on Nov 18, 2001. Just a few days after launch!

#2502 3 years ago

I modded mine and wrapped up the original optical drive and stored it away. the nicest part of these mods are that they are completely reversible like you never did them (sort of like my original region switch that I did back in 2001. no soldering)

#2503 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I modded mine and wrapped up the original optical drive and stored it away. the nicest part of these mods are that they are completely reversible like you never did them (sort of like my original region switch that I did back in 2001. no soldering)

OK thanks, think I will do that. One more question, is there any particular SD card you like for this? Looks like 128GB would be a decent sweet spot to hit, that should hold around 80 ISOs I would guess. I bought the mount with the extra "holder slots" so I could stash extras in there if needed.

#2504 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

So this is my next project. I never owned a pre- windows computer and this my first time touching a commodore outside of the mini.
[quoted image]

I ran a 4 phone line BBS on my C=64 running Color 64 BBS software by Greg Pfountz. Awesome stuff.
Then moved up to MS-Dos running multi-windows under DESQview.

#2505 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

OK thanks, think I will do that. One more question, is there any particular SD card you like for this? Looks like 128GB would be a decent sweet spot to hit, that should hold around 80 ISOs I would guess. I bought the mount with the extra "holder slots" so I could stash extras in there if needed.

I picked up these 256GB micro SDs for the systems that I've done for myself and others basically giving you enough space to put anything and everything that you'd want to play and still have a bit of space left over (just in case)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0887P21Z2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00

the price is right now too ($5 cheaper than when I purchased the last batch, and cheaper than purchasing two 128GB micro SD cards

#2506 3 years ago

I use 5, 64GB SD cards for the entire Dreamcast library. The only problem with a larger card is a longer loading time for the menus. The games will load super quickly, it’s just games list when you turn it on, or reset the console.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2507 3 years ago

load times do not seem to be an issue (regardless of the micro SD card size). I believe that the opening animation only gets to the 3rd [roll] of the cube before swiss is loaded and displayed.

#2508 3 years ago

If you have a Wii, there's a good chance it's hackable to play Gamecube games with just a software mod. Basically, you get the Wii's MAC address and plug it into please.hackmii.com, which should help you generate a USB stick that you can use to partially unlock your Wii. You can load homebrew apps, including Nintendon't, which will play Gamecube ISOs off a USB stick plugged into the Wii. The early Wiis had Gamecube controller ports, so it's basically the same as playing a hacked Cube. You can't play Wii games without a hardware mod IIRC, but the Gamecube library is nice to have.

#2509 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

load times do not seem to be an issue (regardless of the micro SD card size). I believe that the opening animation only gets to the 3rd [roll] of the cube before swiss is loaded and displayed.

This is actually one of the things I dislike about the GC Loader. It loads so quickly that I don't get to watch the Gamecube animation sequence!

I wonder if there's a delay option for the board.

#2510 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

If you have a Wii, there's a good chance it's hackable to play Gamecube games with just a software mod. Basically, you get the Wii's MAC address and plug it into please.hackmii.com, which should help you generate a USB stick that you can use to partially unlock your Wii. You can load homebrew apps, including Nintendon't, which will play Gamecube ISOs off a USB stick plugged into the Wii. The early Wiis had Gamecube controller ports, so it's basically the same as playing a hacked Cube. You can't play Wii games without a hardware mod IIRC, but the Gamecube library is nice to have.

Yes, I have all that done on my Wii, thanks to this thread. It stopped reading discs anyway, so I modded it and attached an external drive loaded with Wii games, and have ninetendont also. But I have the GameCube sitting there already, so I find it to be an elegant and convenient setup to mod it separately. So I will have:

N64 with Everdrive.

GameCube with GC-Loader

Wii with home brew and usb drive loader.

This will be great for convenient game loading on the Nintendo front.

The next question will be if I want one of these for the GameCube. Pricey but looks cool for hdtv gaming which is what I do.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KL8ZKZP/

I also have a Raspberry Pi set up with retropie set up for running other stuff like MAME, Atari, and Nintendo handhelds.

#2511 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I picked up these 256GB micro SDs for the systems that I've done for myself and others basically giving you enough space to put anything and everything that you'd want to play and still have a bit of space left over (just in case)
amazon.com link »
the price is right now too ($5 cheaper than when I purchased the last batch, and cheaper than purchasing two 128GB micro SD cards

Thanks, also just to confirm I have all this right, I’m going to get this SD2SP2 also to plug into the serial port so I have write capability with Swiss for game saves and such.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082VBMQ2B/

#2512 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Thanks, also just to confirm I have all this right, I’m going to get this SD2SP2 also to plug into the serial port so I have write capability with Swiss for game saves and such.
amazon.com link »

that should work. I ordered a sd2sp2 about a week ago but am still waiting delivery of it. I recently picked up some sony pvm monitors and have one connected to the gamecube using bnc adapters to the component cables. unfortunately, swiss auto boots into 480p mode when the component cables are connected (regardless of whether or not the display can handle it), so the result is a half horizontally shifted screen. I need the sd2sp2 in order to change and save the configuration file for swiss (apparently, you can't even manually add a config file on the gc-loader sd card).

#2513 3 years ago

I wish I knew about the Commadore 64 full size preorder. They fixed the joystick which is why I didn't buy a mini. Other than that yhe games seem to be the same? Can the updated joystick be purchased seperately?

#2514 3 years ago

This was just announced yesterday

I can feel my blood pressure rising already! Supposedly 3 months exclusive to Switch, then hits PC and the other consoles.

#2515 3 years ago

That looks ridiculously difficult.

#2516 3 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

I can feel my blood pressure rising already! Supposedly 3 months exclusive to Switch, then hits PC and the other consoles.

Nice! Now we need an updated version of Strider! I remember having a cool remake of that on my PS3 at some point.

#2517 3 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

I am more excited for this than Led Zeppelin. Awesome game. Never gets old.

#2518 3 years ago

Playing some pilot wings on the garage tv. Making up our own challenges for fun.

16077386714701006164835517855869 (resized).jpg16077386714701006164835517855869 (resized).jpg
#2519 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Playing some pilot wings on the garage tv. Making up our own challenges for fun.

Two of the most fun challenges we tried were jetpack as high as you can go (1400 feet) then free fall then with one press on the gas get as low as you can to the ground before ascending again. I got to 3 feet from the ground.

Another one was to skydive without using a parachute and try to kamikaze onto the moving island by only using the D pad to control your fall.

#2520 3 years ago

I'm waiting on a power supply and still haven't powered this thing on. I did get soon retrobrighting done and a thorough cleaning, so at least it looks nice.

20201212_173747 (resized).jpg20201212_173747 (resized).jpg
#2521 3 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I ran a 4 phone line BBS on my C=64 running Color 64 BBS software by Greg Pfountz. Awesome stuff.
Then moved up to MS-Dos running multi-windows under DESQview.

Four nodes on a 64? How did you do that?

#2522 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

I'm waiting on a power supply and still haven't powered this thing on. I did get soon retrobrighting done and a thorough cleaning, so at least it looks nice.
[quoted image]

You should get a Ultimate cartridge for it if you plan on using it alot.
https://ultimate64.com/U2P_Cartridge_Black

#2523 3 years ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Four nodes on a 64? How did you do that?

That was poorly worded wasn't it. 4 lines not on the same C64.

#2524 3 years ago

I decided to up my retrobrighting game, since the sun hasn't been cooperating. I ordered these uv lights off of of Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0882RTTKC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_P5u2FbBZ0X1HD

They're very bright and made short work of a yellow super famicom shell i threw in some oxy clean as a test. I recommend them if you restore a lot of consoles.

20201215_184320 (resized).jpg20201215_184320 (resized).jpg
#2525 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

I decided to up my retrobrighting game, since the sun hasn't been cooperating. I ordered these uv lights off of of Amazon:
amazon.com link »
They're very bright and made short work of a yellow super famicom shell i threw in some oxy clean as a test. I recommend them if you restore a lot of consoles.
[quoted image]

Damn. I bet you could erase alot of eproms with those too!

#2527 3 years ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Damn. I bet you could erase alot of eproms with those too!

wrong wavelenght?

#2528 3 years ago

Not sure, I meant it more as a joke Havent researched differences in UV wavelength between eprom erasers and retrobright stuff

#2529 3 years ago

I guess if you decided to retrobright your eproms, yes.

#2530 3 years ago
95855CB1-9F68-4B02-86A6-775B2A96BD90 (resized).jpeg95855CB1-9F68-4B02-86A6-775B2A96BD90 (resized).jpeg
#2531 3 years ago

If you were to recomend an old school adventure game (NES, SNES, Genesis) for someone who's never actually played one, what would you recommend?

Zelda is the most adventure game I've played from that era. Talking like Final Fantacy type.

#2532 3 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

If you were to recomend an old school adventure game (NES, SNES, Genesis) for someone who's never actually played one, what would you recommend?
Zelda is the most adventure game I've played from that era. Talking like Final Fantacy type.

Turn-based RPG (like Final Fantasy)

1. Earthbound - It's one of my favorites of all time. I was lucky enough to get the full game NIB when I was a kid, and kept it in good condition all these years. It's included on the SNES classic, and it will probably be on the SNES app on the Switch at some point if it's not already. It's a little more accessible than most of the JRPGs, and it's grounded in American culture which makes it a lot more relatable.
2. Super Mario RPG
3. Chrono trigger - A lot of people say this one is actually the best. I never got around to it, and really need to play it before I could recommend it above the others in this category.

Action games (similar to Zelda)

1. Illusion of Gaia
2. Secret of Evermore
3. Secret of Mana - Same as Chrono Trigger, I've never gotten around to this one (I plan to).

#2533 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Turn-based RPG (like Final Fantasy)
1. Earthbound - It's one of my favorites of all time. I was lucky enough to get the full game NIB when I was a kid, and kept it in good condition all these years. It's included on the SNES classic, and it will probably be on the SNES app on the Switch at some point if it's not already. It's a little more accessible than most of the JRPGs, and it's grounded in American culture which makes it a lot more relatable.
2. Super Mario RPG
3. Chrono trigger - A lot of people say this one is actually the best. I never got around to it, and really need to play it before I could recommend it above the others in this category.
Action games (similar to Zelda)
1. Illusion of Gaia
2. Secret of Evermore
3. Secret of Mana - Same as Chrono Trigger, I've never gotten around to this one (I plan to).

Thanks! Kinda looking for that turn-based gameplay. In the past, I just couldn't get into them I wanted to hack and slash, and my A.D.D. wouldn't let me play those kind of games. But now, I think I may enjoy one and figured I'd start back towards the beginning.

I know of Earthbound, but know nothing about it. May give that one a shot.

#2534 3 years ago

Dragon Warrior! Such a fun game, and easy to put down and pick up again later.

#2535 3 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Thanks! Kinda looking for that turn-based gameplay. I

Never saw it but Might and Magic listed for the NES? I loved playing that series on the PC.

#2536 3 years ago

I use 5, 64GB SD cards for the entire Dreamcast library. The only problem with a larger card is a longer loading time for the menus. The games will load super quickly, it’s just games list when you turn it on, or reset the console.
[quoted image]

If you use the GD Emu SD CARD Maker and pre-generate the menu, you can eliminate this load time. I use a 256gb card and it loads instantly.

#2537 3 years ago

I just came across this video of a handheld N64 console. This is not emulation. He cut down the N64 PCB to shrink the size.

#2538 3 years ago

I just came across this video of a handheld N64 console. This is not emulation. He cut down the N64 PCB to shrink the size.

That’s awesome.

#2539 3 years ago

Got one of those cheap 150 in 1 carts for my GBA. Not too shabby for twenty bucks. 150 good titles from nes to play on the GBA.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2540 3 years ago

Just got a 10:28 Super Mario Bros 2 Princess Only Speed Run. Good for 7th in the world

https://t.co/YfFvCDbZwC

#2541 3 years ago

Anyone else grabbing an Asteroids?

https://newwavetoys.com/products/asteroids-x-replicade

Asteroids (resized).pngAsteroids (resized).png

#2542 3 years ago

Decided to do a little restore and upgrade on an original Gameboy. Started out with a decent but yellowed unit. It cleaned up will though. Screen mod is pretty great, it’s a little over lit at the bottom but still way better than no light.

B4879C13-3635-4E23-93A4-80F4429927C6 (resized).jpegB4879C13-3635-4E23-93A4-80F4429927C6 (resized).jpeg
E79E8475-54BC-472E-94F6-C4CB7C70A6B6 (resized).jpegE79E8475-54BC-472E-94F6-C4CB7C70A6B6 (resized).jpeg
422F355A-C267-4723-A193-FD599FA1859B (resized).jpeg422F355A-C267-4723-A193-FD599FA1859B (resized).jpeg
7B6D5107-02DD-49AC-812F-C0C21251A91C (resized).jpeg7B6D5107-02DD-49AC-812F-C0C21251A91C (resized).jpeg

#2543 3 years ago

Hey y'all.
going to be doing a donation stream tonight try and raise some money to donate to GDQ (Games Done Quick) for their cancer research charity.
I've partnered with the Classic Gamers of Colorado group to do 1 massive donation. They've already raised over 1.3k for a donation. I have some stuff to give as gifts for certain donations. Going to be speed running various NES games. Im not great but have the 7th fastest Princess Only Speed Run on SMB2 currently.

tonight at 8pm EST. 6PM MT.
twitch.tv/pure_retro_co

just lurking helps a bunch too just to get the channel higher up on the retro page.
Cheers!
Dave
PRCnCGCPROMOwithgoals.pngPRCnCGCPROMOwithgoals.png

#2544 3 years ago

Anyone have a good arcade stick recommendation for classic arcade games and SHMUPS via MAME? Almost every stick on the market seems to be made for fighting games, so the joysticks have a long throw action. I need really short, quick movements for classic stuff like Pac-Man, Robotron, DK, and all those great shooters.

I have an X-Arcade Tank Stick from waaay back (20 years!) and it still performs almost like new, but as I try to get better rather than just play for fun, the joysticks just aren't cooperating on the games I prefer. Too much motion in every direction. I can change the sticks out of my Tank Stick, but I've read it's not a simple swap, most of the short throw Japanese and Korean joysticks need a little more clearance, so the Tank Stick cabinet would need some machining. I don't want to potentially botch that and ruin my 'ol reliable.

Maybe I'll just buy this pre-drilled cabinet and build it myself. It's got spots for everything -- two normal sticks plus a 4-way stick, trackball, spinner, pinball buttons, and everything else: https://www.mameroom.com/webstore.asp?productid=CLASSICKIT&category=151

Never built my own stick before. I'm not worried about installing everything, but the cable management in something like this looks like it could be a nightmare for a rookie.

#2545 3 years ago

I have been messing around and researching this way too long, I need to get off my a$$ and get something going. Thanks for posting that control panel, I have not seen that one before, don't know how I missed it. This is the one I have been looking at seriously.

https://www.monsterarcades.com/copy-of-full-size-2-player-contol-p

I don't do the shmups so I can't add anything authoritative for that. But for Pac-Man and anything of its ilk, I think this would be the best one:

https://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=365

Apparently this is how the original Pac-Man joystick worked - with leaf switches. For a pinhead, those switches should look real familiar!

The drawback to that one is that you are stuck with one direction version. I do think that a 4-way will work fine for the games that use 2-way (either L-R or U-D). But an 8-way will definitely not work right with Pac-Man and other 4-way games. So you have to decide if you want to give up 8-way, or have multiple joysticks. You also are not the right 4-way angle to play Qbert.

Another way to go is to get the Ultrastik 360 which will handle any and all directions, then just set up every game to use the correct joystick configuration, the other inputs will be ignored.

I can't make up my mind what to do, but I swear I will make it happen in 2021. NYE Resolution!

#2546 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I don't do the shmups so I can't add anything authoritative for that. But for Pac-Man and anything of its ilk, I think this would be the best one:
https://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=365
Apparently this is how the original Pac-Man joystick worked - with leaf switches. For a pinhead, those switches should look real familiar!

Ya beat me to it, I was going to post the same link

#2547 3 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Anyone else grabbing an Asteroids?

Mine was delivered yesterday! I love collecting these. They’re the perfect size and Newwave Toys puts so much detail into them. You can tell they’re passionate about it. I’m still amazed at how well they recreated Street Fighter II and Dragons Lair.

81F3BB5B-885E-491B-A0EC-CB1BA19DEA2A (resized).jpeg81F3BB5B-885E-491B-A0EC-CB1BA19DEA2A (resized).jpeg

#2548 3 years ago

Anyone else get the Sega Astro City Mini? Full of Sega Japanese arcade games. Many never released to home console like Golden Axe 3 and Arabian Fight. You can hook it up to a TV and add a controller or fight stick too.

6B28E62D-69FD-40FA-8C71-0BBB37B481D9 (resized).jpeg6B28E62D-69FD-40FA-8C71-0BBB37B481D9 (resized).jpeg
#2549 3 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

Mine was delivered yesterday! I love collecting these. They’re the perfect size and Newwave Toys puts so much detail into them. You can tell they’re passionate about it. I’m still amazed at how well they recreated Street Fighter II and Dragons Lair.
[quoted image]

The only other ones I have are Dragon's Lair and the Rowe change dispenser.
I did order some of the carpet to complete my little group!

#2550 3 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

[quoted image]

I really like these but havnt bought one because they seem more novelty. I played one and it wasnt much fun because my fingers took up so much room and I didnt get as far in the game. Very cool looking, the change machine is sweet.

There are 3,070 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 62.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nes-classic-edition-unobtainium/page/51?hl=pinhead306 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.