20210415_151837 (resized).jpg
20210328_121618 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210121_190005 (resized).jpg
61070812-510D-417A-A914-07E0BB8B0CFB (resized).jpeg
0A951E11-E23A-425F-97BD-42BE27904A62 (resized).jpeg
D749D0B7-E2CA-440C-82E6-1176FDABE0DD (resized).jpeg
A9AA4F0D-05A6-4E54-A62F-A271FBEC3DF4 (resized).jpeg
BEC2F6CD-5439-4563-9494-C3F14EC641E8 (resized).jpeg

There are 2601 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 53.
#2451 6 months ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I decided to thin the heard. Sold off my NES games since I have an everdrive N8 for it. Going to do the same for my snes. There’s some Black Friday sales so I’ll get one for my snes too. I never play my saga master system, so its going up on the chopping block. I also have a CIB PAL N64 that has just been taking up room on a shelf.

I use a nes, sega, and snes mini all hacked with almost every release. I have totes full of cartridges for each console. Came down to saving space.

#2452 6 months ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I use a nes, sega, and snes mini all hacked with almost every release. I have totes full of cartridges for each console. Came down to saving space.

I have the nes, snes, sega, and TG16 mini too. They’re connected in the garage to an HDMI tv. But I prefer my original consoles on a crt tv in the basement. The kids like the light gun games and they don’t work in the mini consoles.

#2453 6 months ago

Each console can be played on the crt in the corner, or on the projector in the Center of the room.

image (resized).jpg
#2454 6 months ago

Each console can be played on the crt in the corner, or on the projector in the Center of the room.
[quoted image]

Excellent

#2455 6 months ago

we beat Castlevania: Bloodlines on stream last night, fun game! never played it growing up. you can see some of my collection behind us in the vod

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/814351417

#2456 6 months ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

The desktop arcade is growing.
I hate missing out on the Centipede and Tempest.
[quoted image]

That Dragons Lair is so cool! I didn’t even know about these. I hope they make Space Ace too. I love Space Ace.

#2457 6 months ago

I added some games onto my SNES mini today using hackchi. It was a bit difficult for me to get right. First I had an old version of hackchi and it would dump my kernel, load the custom kernel, then crash when adding games. Found the newer version of hackchi and it’s a lot more user friendly. Unfortunately my kernel was outdated and it wouldn’t update with the new version. So, back to the old version of hackchi, returned to my kernel to the default one and then back to the new version.

I was still experiencing issues with installing the new updated kernel, but found that the “repair” kernel option worked. I was still having Write Errors when trying to add games though. After some online investigation I switched to the USB wire that came with the snes and found one USB 2.0 port on the front of my PC that would work for the process. (Some motherboards with AMD have issues)

So after a couple hours of messing around I was finally able to add some games. I kept the original games and added a bunch to bring the total up to my 90 favourite snes games. The snes mini shows 300MB storage space and my 90 games took up around 75MB. So if you’re looking to mod one of these, you could add a couple hundred games probably.

#2458 6 months ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

we beat Castlevania: Bloodlines on stream last night, fun game! never played it growing up. you can see some of my collection behind us in the vod
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/814351417

Great game, I always loved the tricks the last level does.

#2459 6 months ago

Picked up my first Sega cd games. This is my first time playing anything on this system. I'm amazed at how the games range from amazing to "what in the holy hell is this? "

20201127_180638 (resized).jpg
#2460 6 months ago

Sega CD spines make me weep...

Love that shit.

Quoted from Jason43:

Picked up my first Sega cd games. This is my first time playing anything on this system. I'm amazed at how the games range from amazing to "what in the holy hell is this? "
[quoted image]

Yeah.. Robo Aleste and Silpheed = Great stuff, at least for the era. The stuff might at least make you appreciate "CD gaming" for the time. Especially if you have a disc-only Sewer Shark (easy to find). Great acting (at least, the actors looked like they loved what they are doing), somewhat action-oriented gameplay, and more. Sort of gives you an idea what the FMV thing was going for, originally.

Silpheed is great on its own. It's a straightforward shoot 'em up, but it does an amazing job of balancing the Genesis, Sega CD, and CD-internal hardware. It's got constantly-shifting backrounds, with actual polygons layered on top (your ship and enemies). Super cool stuff. You really don't see this anywhere else at the time.

#2461 6 months ago
Quoted from akm:

Sega CD spines make me weep...
Love that shit.

Yeah.. Robo Aleste and Silpheed = Great stuff, at least for the era. The stuff might at least make you appreciate "CD gaming" for the time. Especially if you have a disc-only Sewer Shark (easy to find). Great acting (at least, the actors looked like they loved what they are doing), somewhat action-oriented gameplay, and more. Sort of gives you an idea what the FMV thing was going for, originally.
Silpheed is great on its own. It's a straightforward shoot 'em up, but it does an amazing job of balancing the Genesis, Sega CD, and CD-internal hardware. It's got constantly-shifting backrounds, with actual polygons layered on top (your ship and enemies). Super cool stuff. You really don't see this anywhere else at the time.

Still got all my original SegaCD games. But yeah, there's just something about them. I remember getting excited once they were discontinued and started finding them in the clearance aisle of Kmart. I picked up several for $2 each. Including Ecco, NBA Jam, and Sonic CD.

#2462 6 months ago
Quoted from Jason43:Picked up my first Sega cd games. This is my first time playing anything on this system. I'm amazed at how the games range from amazing to "what in the holy hell is this? "
[quoted image]

I used to have this years ago:

pasted_image (resized).png

Wish i could find another one (That doesn't cost hundreds of $$$)

#2463 6 months ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

I used to have this years ago:
[quoted image]
Wish i could find another one (That doesn't cost hundreds of $$$)

Good thing is, you can burn them to cd-r

#2464 6 months ago

I actually played this one too much. HA. Once you got through all the tasks or whatever you did in the game, you got to implode a building.

#2465 6 months ago
Quoted from woody24:

Still got all my original SegaCD games. But yeah, there's just something about them. I remember getting excited once they were discontinued and started finding them in the clearance aisle of Kmart. I picked up several for $2 each. Including Ecco, NBA Jam, and Sonic CD.

Yeah, I got my system in early '96 or so when it was on its way out. You could still buy the games NIB at Best Buy, Toys 'R Us, Electronics Boutique, etc, for a year or two after that and I built up a pretty big library over time.

I miss games getting crazy discounts like with what we saw on systems from back then. Doesn't seem to happen nearly as often these days.

#2466 6 months ago

I had a Sega CD too! The only other person I currently know who ever had a Sega CD and I still exchange quotes from Sewer Shark from time to time. "Shoot the tubes, Dog Meat!" or the old Catfish bot "We've got some naaasty critters at 'TWELVE', 'THREE', 'NINER'!"

#2467 6 months ago
Quoted from akm:

Yeah, I got my system in early '96 or so when it was on its way out. You could still buy the games NIB at Best Buy, Toys 'R Us, Electronics Boutique, etc, for a year or two after that and I built up a pretty big library over time.
I miss games getting crazy discounts like with what we saw on systems from back then. Doesn't seem to happen nearly as often these days.

you can occasionally find games on clearance and sweet prices, but just need to be lucky and in the brick and mortar stores. I went to my bestbuy when they had raiden on switch on clearance and got it for $9 when the website had it at 29.99. walmart sometimes clearances out games stupid low too but its store by store basis where one will have it clearance and the other will still have it at full retail. so just gotta get lucky i guess. I got super bomberman r on switch for $5 a few months back. got ni no kuni for $10 and so on. so i just check maybe once a week.

#2468 6 months ago

Betelgeuse Don't worry, you aren't the only Sega CD fan in town... Save one empty spot cause I can't justify $1400 for Keio, it's a CIB set, paperbox variants and all.

Apologies for the bad pic, but I bought a few pins from PAPA and this old Hot hand is sitting in front of the game racks while I reorganize.

16071156420804854326369170115500 (resized).jpg
#2469 6 months ago
Quoted from statictrance:

Don't worry, you aren't the only Sega CD fan in town... Save one empty spot cause I can't justify $1400 for Keio, it's a CIB set, paperbox variants and all.

That is pretty damn impressive. I mostly have NES and PS1/PS2 in the retro library these days, but nothing near as complete or difficult to source as what you have there... you even have Sega Saturn! I worked at Babbage's in the 90s and this stuff just brings back memories.

#2470 6 months ago

Grabbed it new for $20 back in the day because it looked like Parodius. Unfortunately it wasn't nearly as good as Parodius, but at least I can get my money back if I sell it...

k (resized).png
#2471 6 months ago
Quoted from metallik:

Grabbed it new for $20 back in the day because it looked like Parodius. Unfortunately it wasn't nearly as good as Parodius, but at least I can get my money back if I sell it..

Stick with it..very underrated. Have the sequel on my Saturn and it’s one of my favorite platformers.

#2472 6 months ago

A must play ....

A897866F-CFF7-41E9-8B37-FACF9FE217D6 (resized).jpeg
#2473 6 months ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Stick with it..very underrated. Have the sequel on my Saturn and it’s one of my favorite platformers.

It's a shmup... or are you saying the sequel is a platformer? edit: yea just checked it out, looks nice. Will have to try it out.

My missed op is Harmful Park. Got most of the other parody/crazy shooters but not this one before it went crazy

#2474 6 months ago

Yeah the sequel is mostly a platformer with just a few shmup levels. Kinda strange change of direction from the original but overall I think it makes it a better game.

#2475 6 months ago
Quoted from metallik:

Grabbed it new for $20 back in the day because it looked like Parodius. Unfortunately it wasn't nearly as good as Parodius, but at least I can get my money back if I sell it... [quoted image]

That sells for pinball money these days. You could prob get $2k-$3k for it.

If you guys wanna dip into Sega CD without wrestling with crazy collector prices, you can play Sega CD games on the Everdrive Pro or TerraOnion MegaSD...don’t even need a Sega CD attachment....they play off the cart perfectly.

#2476 6 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That sells for pinball money these days. You could prob get $2k-$3k for it.
If you guys wanna dip into Sega CD without wrestling with crazy collector prices, you can play Sega CD games on the Everdrive Pro or TerraOnion MegaSD...don’t even need a Sega CD attachment....they play off the cart perfectly.

Or just get a pack of CDrs
Not that that’s how I experience sega cd or anything
But I do want one of those carts so I could get my sega cd on nomad

But I’m glad to see the sega cd love, it’s one that I missed out on back in the day but love going through the library. Don’t worry I still have my FMV card, my brother had a 3do back then for some strange reason.

#2477 6 months ago

There's also a guy on etsy selling repros of the more expensive games. I picked up robo aleste just to check it out. The case and artwork look great, but the disc was just a cdr with a printed label and looked kind of cheesy. But it's an option if you're looking for physical copies of the pricey games.

#2478 6 months ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I had a Sega CD too! The only other person I currently know who ever had a Sega CD and I still exchange quotes from Sewer Shark from time to time. "Shoot the tubes, Dog Meat!" or the old Catfish bot "We've got some naaasty critters at 'TWELVE', 'THREE', 'NINER'!"

"I love the smell of the sewers in the morning... It smells like VICTORY!!!"

hahahahaha...

#2479 6 months ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

A must play ....
[quoted image]

I heard this is a great game. My sega cd still works after all these years.

#2480 6 months ago

The one game I'd always wanted and never was able to find, was Ground Zero Texas. Few years ago when I set up my RetroPie, I played it. And man, I'm sure I would have loved it much more back in the day. I couldn't stand playing it. hah.

#2481 6 months ago

Not sure how I missed this thread. Subscribed now

#2482 6 months ago

My sd2snes everdrive came in today. I bought it on a Black Friday deal and saved a couple bucks. I decided to use rom carts instead of having piles of games everywhere in sight, since I don’t have space for everything. They also had packs of Nintendo trading cards for to much money. So I got 4 of them. I was hoping to get a Donkey Kong pack, but got 2 princess ones. I don’t know if/when I’ll, open these. I remember opening lots of these as a kid.

image (resized).jpg
#2483 6 months ago

So this is my next project. I never owned a pre- windows computer and this my first time touching a commodore outside of the mini.

20201207_163552 (resized).jpg
#2484 6 months ago
Quoted from Jason43:

So this is my next project. I never owned a pre- windows computer and this my first time touching a commodore outside of the mini.
[quoted image]

amazing!!, I started with a very old PC 486... but never had the chance to try a Commodore, enjoy it

#2485 6 months ago

My sd2snes everdrive came in today. I bought it on a Black Friday deal and saved a couple bucks. I decided to use rom carts instead of having piles of games everywhere in sight, since I don’t have space for everything. They also had packs of Nintendo trading cards for to much money. So I got 4 of them. I was hoping to get a Donkey Kong pack, but got 2 princess ones. I don’t know if/when I’ll, open these. I remember opening lots of these as a kid. [quoted image]

I bought a bunch of wax packs cards. I open them. One card is usually stained by the gum though.

#2486 6 months ago

They also had packs of Nintendo trading cards

Wow I had no idea those existed.
I had a few e-reader cards which I wish I still had. I never toss anything video game related but must have tossed those cards. At least i still have the reader and the GBA link cable.
5814DD4E-BC42-4671-86F2-B45D5EC2F8AF (resized).jpeg

#2487 6 months ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Wow I had no idea these existed.
I had a few e-reader cards which I wish I still had. I never toss anything video game related but must have tossed those cards. At least i still have the reader and the GBA link cable. [quoted image]

Completely forgot about the reader. For some reason, I feel like I've never owned it, but I feel like I've used it before. The cards were so worn, it was like trying to shove a noodle through the reader.

#2488 6 months ago

I came across my GBA link cable a few months ago. Don’t know why I had it cause I don’t think I ever used it. 2020 being the shit year it is I had time to finally try it out. Glad I did cause this....

2A39FFC6-CDEA-4A05-A855-BD6F842182BE (resized).jpeg

was amazing.
Would have loved to play it with 4 GBAs hooked up.

#2489 6 months ago

That reminds me, I don't have a link cable yet. I need to get one.

I do, however, now have a Gamecube with a GC Loader installed, so there's that

#2490 6 months ago

My sd2snes everdrive came in today. I bought it on a Black Friday deal and saved a couple bucks. I decided to use rom carts instead of having piles of games everywhere in sight, since I don’t have space for everything. They also had packs of Nintendo trading cards for to much money. So I got 4 of them. I was hoping to get a Donkey Kong pack, but got 2 princess ones. I don’t know if/when I’ll, open these. I remember opening lots of these as a kid. [quoted image]

I have the Genesis Everdrive, and have been really considering getting the SD2SNES. I'm trying to decide whether I should keep my original consoles, or just go with the Analogue systems and be done with it.

#2491 6 months ago

All of the original consoles have decent multi-cart support these days. It's absolutely worth it. The only console I haven't been able to find a easy and viable option for is the Atari 5200. There's a cart out there, but it's not that easy to work with.

I own pretty much every common gaming console and handheld from the Atari 2600 to PS3. Nearly every one of them has some kind of flash storage or hard drive solution engaged, meaning no more collecting carts/discs. And for that I'm happy. I neither care nor have the space to hoard all of the individual games.

The below photo is old, but a close representation of my setup. I've added a dozen more system since this photo was taken, and I'm now using two CRT TV's on both the left and right sides for gun game systems. There's a very complicated rats nest of wiring on the back side, and a set of instructions on how to switch video/audio for various systems. Center display is a plasma with both component and HDMI inputs, but the Onkyo receiver does most of the heavy lifting

CIMG6493 - Copy (resized).JPG

#2492 6 months ago

Nice!

I have all the OG hardware and maybe a few too many CRTs myself. Just can’t bring myself to mod any of my consoles. So instead I bought a Nvidia Shield tablet a few years ago. Used that so much that this year I bought a Shield TV pro. Quickly filled up a 1TB SSD and a few 8bitdo’s later, I was good to go. Wasn’t a cheap option but then again neither are everdrives.
Shield set up gets bonus points for less cables,converters and switchers. Loses points for not being able to play light gun shooters.
PS Move or Wiimote just doesn’t cut it...but have high hopes for Project Sinden.

#2493 6 months ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

All of the original consoles have decent multi-cart support these days. It's absolutely worth it. The only console I haven't been able to find a easy and viable option for is the Atari 5200. There's a cart out there, but it's not that easy to work with.
I own pretty much every common gaming console and handheld from the Atari 2600 to PS3. Nearly every one of them has some kind of flash storage or hard drive solution engaged, meaning no more collecting carts/discs. And for that I'm happy. I neither care nor have the space to hoard all of the individual games.
The below photo is old, but a close representation of my setup. I've added a dozen more system since this photo was taken, and I'm now using two CRT TV's on both the left and right sides for gun game systems. There's a very complicated rats nest of wiring on the back side, and a set of instructions on how to switch video/audio for various systems. Center display is a plasma with both component and HDMI inputs, but the Onkyo receiver does most of the heavy lifting
[quoted image]

Nice setup! Glad to see another Wisconsinite with the retro bug here

I have something similar, but while the ever drives are convenient, I’m a sucker for owning the nostalgia of the physical games themselves too.

4FA0BE80-6F5C-4309-B5D6-B9F93C246B01 (resized).jpeg
#2494 6 months ago
Quoted from Jason43:

[quoted image]

I loved our Commodore 64. Christmas of 1984 we got one. It was awesome to have a color monitor and floppy discs with dozens of arcade and console games on each of them. My favorite game was Jumpman Junior.

#2495 6 months ago

OK I'm out of touch, this is the first I have heard of the GC Loader. That sounds totally cool, I presume everything is good with yours and you are satisfied? It is basically like getting an Everdrive for the GC. I want one.

Looks like you can order here, and pay shipping accordingly:

https://gc-loader.com/product/gc-loader-pnp/

Is that the recommended way to go?

I also am thinking that I might buy a used GC off ebay or offerup or whatever and mod that one, and keep my original GC in virgin state.

#2496 6 months ago

after ordering the gcloader, you need this as well
https://laserbear.net/shop/ols/products/gcloader-sd-mount

it has a built-in SD card extender to bring the slot up to a usable access point and finishes off the gaping hole where the optical drive used to be

#2497 6 months ago

Doh! I saw a link cable in a thrift store yesterday. Should have picked it up.

#2498 6 months ago

Looks like i’m gonna have to dig it out again!

Until today I had no idea the link cable unlocked additional content in The Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Mario Golf and a few more disc. Thanks Wikipedia and thank you retro gaming club thread.
Now where did I put that damn cable?

#2499 6 months ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

this is the first I have heard of the GC Loade

I bought a modded Dreamcast that runs off of SD cards too. It’s called a GDemu I think. It’s pretty sweet and has quick load times. . I think there’s a PS1 one also

#2500 6 months ago

I bought a modded Dreamcast that runs off of SD cards too. It’s called a GDemu I think. It’s pretty sweet and has quick load times. . I think there’s a PS1 one also

Yes. The PSX one comes from a few different folks, I bought the one from Cybdyn systems, the PSIO.

The one for the Sega Saturn is called the Rhea or Phoebe, depending on your model.

Love these solutions. Although I'm going broke buying SD flash storage LOL

There are 2601 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 53.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside