IMG_0340 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0339 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0341 (resized).jpeg
_20240408_142036 (resized).JPG
_20240408_142108 (resized).JPG
20240407_103121 (resized).jpg
20240319_202154 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
There are 3,070 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 62.
#2201 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I got an extra jail-broke Neo Geo X with console, controller and about every game.

How are those? I kick myself for not getting one from GameStop when they first came out too.

#2202 4 years ago
Quoted from BradKreisler:

A remake will ensure everyone will get one and the ones on eBay will become more reasonably priced.
Thanks
http://chng.it/7SJMXhgsYd

Whats the normal rate for these?

#2203 4 years ago

Anyone have an idea where to find the service manual for the SEGA CDX? Did a little searching online last night, and found all the other Sega manuals, just not that one.

#2204 4 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

Signed too. I missed the boat on those and picked up the SNES and Genesis versions which I love. Really wish they’d do another run of Neo Geo too. Plan on getting the portable when it releases too.

I didn’t get a CMVS either. I did get the omega consolized neo geo. It’s basically the same thing. They still make them to order as well and cheaper than the analogue version, but the case isn’t wood.

https://www.arcadeworks.net/omega-neo-geo-mvs-home-console

#2205 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Whats the normal rate for these?

They were more expensive than the SNES and Genesis FPGA’s that followed because it contained analogue output circuitry. I believe they were around $500 or so. The remake would probably omit the RGB output and only provide hdmi.

They now make an analogue adapter for ppl who want rgb output on the snes and genesis systems so it would be safe to say it could apply to nes remake.

#2206 4 years ago

I thought that the original analogue systems contained circuitry that was harvested from original famicom disc drives for the additional sound channels. was I incorrect about this?

I do not believe that the analogue mini's contained the same additional circuitry

additionally, the initial run of the analogue systems was crafted from a solid aluminum billet that was cnc'ed. that definitely increased the initial selling price

#2207 4 years ago
Quoted from BradKreisler:

Please consider signing this request at change.org regarding the Analogue NT mini.

Does the NT mini have any advantage over the RetroUSB AVS? Looks like more video connection types (RGB, component, S-video, composite, HDMI) than AVS (HDMI), but I'd think most people would be using HDMI if they're looking to replace their original NES (composite).
https://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=78&osCsid=a7dc5a5b3345cc66211d447647e130ca

#2208 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I thought that the original analogue systems contained circuitry that was harvested from original famicom disc drives for the additional sound channels. was I incorrect about this?
I do not believe that the analogue mini's contained the same additional circuitry
additionally, the initial run of the analogue systems was crafted from a solid aluminum billet that was cnc'ed. that definitely increased the initial selling price

I believe the NT used original nes parts. The NT mini was FPGA. But it did use an alu shell. An abs shell would be cheaper.

#2209 4 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

Does the NT mini have any advantage over the RetroUSB AVS? Looks like more video connection types (RGB, component, S-video, composite, HDMI) than AVS (HDMI), but I'd think most people would be using HDMI if they're looking to replace their original NES (composite).
https://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=78&osCsid=a7dc5a5b3345cc66211d447647e130ca

I’m not sure exactly if any differences. As you stated, it only provides hdmi out. I still use/need rgb. I ended up modding a top loading nes to get rgb currently.

I was able to find this link from 2016 that explained both systems

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2016/08/retroavs-vs-analogue-nt-mini-comparison.html?m=1

#2210 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Signed. Thanks for the heads up. I was never really an NES guy, but I might grab one of those and a everdrive if they make them again.

Just get a RetroUSB AVS. Fantastic FPGA NES unit, and less than $200.

#2211 4 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

The biggest is the support of analog and digital. AVS is HDMI-only.

The other is being able to jailbreak the NT Mini and add other console cores to it. This turns it into a Sega Master System, Game Gear, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Colecovision, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, among others. You can also load ROMs from the SD card. The AVS has no SD card slot on it so it can't even be used as a basic flash cart (you need a separate flash cart like an Everdrive or Power Pak on top of it).

The NT Mini was significantly more expensive though, even more so now that it's no longer available from Analogue. I believe it was $500-ish when it was available previously. So, $300 more than the AVS. A re-run of these would be welcome however as second-hand units are selling (as in, actually sold) for anywhere from $1,500 to $2,500 depending on the condition (used versus new/sealed). Ridiculous.

For the price the AVS is a great console and it's actually available as of this writing. I highly recommend it to people that just want NES/Famicom compatibility. That said, if you want those extra cores the NT Mini might be worth the cost if they do another run.

Of course, if one really wants those cores, it's probably a better value to grab a MiSTer setup. A little over $300, it supports even more cores and also does analog/digital.

#2212 4 years ago
Quoted from akm:

The other is being able to jailbreak the NT Mini and add other console cores to it. This turns it into a Sega Master System, Game Gear, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Colecovision, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, among others. You can also load ROMs from the SD card

Since all of Analogue’s FPGA systems are essentially the same guts, is there any reason the Super NT couldn’t have NES & Gameboy cores added in jailbreak firmware?

#2213 4 years ago

Hey guys. I hope you don't mind me posting in here.
I know I play my retro games mostly on my PI or miniconsoles. But, I love retro games.
Two of my favorite games of all time are Berzerk and Frenzy. Just love those games so dang much. Big fan of robo-genocide. So I really like blowing those steelplated heartless bastiches to hell!

Anyway. Been playing berzerk and frenzy for about the past 3 years and never really got too good at it. But, lately I made myself a handheld pi, and its amazing just to turn on and play a couple of quick games on.

So I been working my scores up and up and up. Well I finally got over 10k on Berzerk. 10,990 was my final score. Won't lie got a bit lucky at the end. I died with 0 lives left at 9,980 and just needed one more robot to get the 2nd and last extra life in the game. A robot is worth 50 points.
Well Evil Otto caught me and smashed me... And right before the game was going to end he also smashed into a robot and so I got the points and the final extra life.

Then had a pretty good run until once again I got cornered by evil otto.
My best game to date. And I've been averaging around 4k-6k per game now. Much better from the 1,500-3k range that I use to be in.

As for Frenzy... I have yet to get to 6k in that game. Been really close. You get extra lives at 3k in frenzy and its uncapped the number you can accrue.
Just having fun for now. And so good to finally get decent in both games. Not a good or great player yet.
Hopefully soon.

Lastly... I do want to get a berzerk and frenzy cab in my house someday... Just not right now. No room for one. But, when I sell my current house and get the next one I shall get me one(hopefully a unit that has both in it).

Edit. Finally got over 6k on Frenzy... I know I can do much better though. I'd like to get to 20k on berzerk as thats the reset level for the maze. And I'd like to get into the 30k or 40k for frenzy. As again... No limit in the lives for that game. I'd like to stack them... But, evil otto is a bit more dangerous in Frenzy(even though you can destroy him in it). He just appears a bit sooner and there are more enemies in the game. So you gotta really be moving and on your toes.

#2214 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Hey guys. I hope you don't mind me posting in here.
I know I play my retro games mostly on my PI or miniconsoles. But, I love retro games.
Two of my favorite games of all time are Berzerk and Frenzy. Just love those games so dang much. Big fan of robo-genocide. So I really like blowing those steelplated heartless bastiches to hell!
Anyway. Been playing berzerk and frenzy for about the past 3 years and never really got too good at it. But, lately I made myself a handheld pi, and its amazing just to turn on and play a couple of quick games on.
So I been working my scores up and up and up. Well I finally got over 10k on Berzerk. 10,990 was my final score. Won't lie got a bit lucky at the end. I died with 0 lives left at 9,980 and just needed one more robot to get the 2nd and last extra life in the game. A robot is worth 50 points.
Well Evil Otto caught me and smashed me... And right before the game was going to end he also smashed into a robot and so I got the points and the final extra life.
Then had a pretty good run until once again I got cornered by evil otto.
My best game to date. And I've been averaging around 4k-6k per game now. Much better from the 1,500-3k range that I use to be in.
As for Frenzy... I have yet to get to 6k in that game. Been really close. You get extra lives at 3k in frenzy and its uncapped the number you can accrue.
Just having fun for now. And so good to finally get decent in both games. Not a good or great player yet.
Hopefully soon.
Lastly... I do want to get a berzerk and frenzy cab in my house someday... Just not right now. No room for one. But, when I sell my current house and get the next one I shall get me one(hopefully a unit that has both in it).
Edit. Finally got over 6k on Frenzy... I know I can do much better though. I'd like to get to 20k on berzerk as thats the reset level for the maze. And I'd like to get into the 30k or 40k for frenzy. As again... No limit in the lives for that game. I'd like to stack them... But, evil otto is a bit more dangerous in Frenzy(even though you can destroy him in it). He just appears a bit sooner and there are more enemies in the game. So you gotta really be moving and on your toes.

Those 2 games are fun. What's cool about this all being "retro" now is that we can play these games as much as we want and finally find out how far we can go. Of course these games were originally made to suck quarters as quickly as possibly so they became difficult in a short time after you started a game. Back when we played them for real, unless you were a fanatic with a lot of money in your pocket you would never really get far. Think how many quarters you would have had to put out to get to where you are right now. Enough to buy a Pi probably!

#2215 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Those 2 games are fun. What's cool about this all being "retro" now is that we can play these games as much as we want and finally find out how far we can go. Of course these games were originally made to suck quarters as quickly as possibly so they became difficult in a short time after you started a game. Back when we played them for real, unless you were a fanatic with a lot of money in your pocket you would never really get far. Think how many quarters you would have had to put out to get to where you are right now. Enough to buy a Pi probably!

No doubt about it. It was much harder to get good at arcade games. With that being said there were still a few games I did get good at. Mainly because they were my go to staples.
I would be given about 4-8 dollars at an arcade... A few lucky times I got a whole 20.

Going to an arcade was as much about walking around and enjoying the sights as it was getting to play the games.

I would play lethal enforces. Got good enough to beat the 1st level eventually. And when I could beat the first level consistently and then die... I'd just start it over and not continue. As it lead to more gameplay time... I did that trick for a few games.

Knights of the round was another game that I would go to when I needed a long game with few quarters. I would generally continue once in that game and then I'd walk away... And maybe come back to it one more time at later. As again... I could play that game for a decent amount of time on just 1 credit.

Same with Wrestlefest. I once got to the 2nd to last match on just one quarter. I got to the championship match once with 2 quarters... I don't think I ever beat the game though at the arcade. But, I could generally get 2-3 matches regularly on it.

And I'm generally pretty good at beat em ups as well. So I would mostly put money in those... Stay away from fighting games... But, I did play some... And back in the day I was good at Raiden. As I had it on my TG16. So I would put a few quarters from time to time on the vertical shooters.

Loved narc. But, that game kicked my butt!!! But, I still loved it.

#2216 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I forgot one other thing that makes retro video game playing so much easier today. Youtube and also online walkthroughs.

You only really had the big expensive walkthroughs in the past and maybe some in video game magazines, and your friends. Now, I want to learn tricks or tips I can google the games.
It really makes old school games a bit easier and also pinball rule knowledge easier to learn as well.

Now, I did learn quite a bit on Berzerk and Frenzy myself. And other retro games. But, to actually read other peoples tips and tricks and maybe watch other people play, it gives you a certain insight that you might not get from just your own gameplay experience. Like in Venture. I didn't know you could shot and destroy those walls that move in and out in some of the rooms, until I watched an online video of it.

With that being said... I don't view any of that as cheating or unfair advantage. I don't have the time to mine a game for its secrets like how I did when I was a kid.

I'm a really, really amazing Comix Zone player on Sega. I can beat it in under 18 minutes. I think in my youth I had a 16 minute time. I'm not certain. All I will say is I'm really, really good comix zone player and that's a glitchless speedrun. Going to be hardpressed to find someone with a faster time... And yeah... They do exist. Just saying my times really good. And I did that pre internet. All just by playing the heck out of the game.

Its probably my favorite Sega game.

1 week later
#2218 4 years ago

Picked up a TG-16 recently. I'll be taking out a second mortgage to buy some games for it.

20200212_151428 (resized).jpg20200212_151428 (resized).jpg
#2219 4 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Picked up a TG-16 recently. I'll be taking out a second mortgage to buy some games for it.[quoted image]

The TG-16 mini classic ships in march, has like 50 games I think. I pre-ordered one months ago. It’s not original, but could help your pocketbook for some of the more pricey games.

https://www.amazon.com/TurboGrafx-16-mini-Electronic-Games/dp/B07QD9GQ9J/ref=sr_1_1

#2220 4 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Picked up a TG-16 recently. I'll be taking out a second mortgage to buy some games for it.[quoted image]

Just get a Turbo Everdrive. One and done, every game ever on one cart.

Or, the TerraOnion Super SD attachment. It can play every card & CD game.

2F090D9F-25A0-4D88-B492-A023B422E12F.jpeg2F090D9F-25A0-4D88-B492-A023B422E12F.jpeg
#2221 4 years ago

Ive been streaming pinball mostly on twitch but lately Ive been streaming just about anything. I like the challenge of setting it up nice.

I just did RC PRO AM for a bit. Excuse the intermittent sound issues, I just started using this capture card. Its just ok...

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/553249831

#2222 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

The TG-16 mini classic ships in march, has like 50 games I think. I pre-ordered one months ago. It’s not original, but could help your pocketbook for some of the more pricey games.
amazon.com link »

I preordered a while ago

#2223 4 years ago

What's a good place to submit your retro and classic games scores (including MAME/emulated)? Twin Galaxies has always been a bit sketchy, plus they require video, not just photos. Have to appreciate the depth of their data, though. Highscore.com seems decent, just a little underused. They also take real pinball and Pinball FX3/Pinball Arcade, but not Visual Pinball, as far as I can tell.

Anything else?

#2225 4 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

What's a good place to submit your retro and classic games scores (including MAME/emulated)? Twin Galaxies has always been a bit sketchy, plus they require video, not just photos. Have to appreciate the depth of their data, though. Highscore.com seems decent, just a little underused. They also take real pinball and Pinball FX3/Pinball Arcade, but not Visual Pinball, as far as I can tell.
Anything else?

Depends on how serious you are. Highscore.com is a joke - so many scores have been approved with just a photograph. For MAME submit to MARP or Twin Galaxies.

#2226 4 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

Anything else?

Brag about them here.
I just bested my Berzerk score by about 1k... Could have been better. I had 2 stupid deaths that I shouldn't have had... But, still was my best game to date. So I'll take that.

And Frenzy. I've gotten over 12k now for my high score. Still a long way to go until I get to 40k. But, its a goal. I also remembered my goal of beating all the Streets of Rage games.
However, for Streets of Rage 3. I will only be playing Bare Knuckle 3. As the american version is way too difficult. They just made it harder for the sake of it, and its one of the rare instances of the Japanese game being easier than the western one.

#2227 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Brag about them here.
I just bested my Berzerk score by about 1k... Could have been better. I had 2 stupid deaths that I shouldn't have had... But, still was my best game to date. So I'll take that.
And Frenzy. I've gotten over 12k now for my high score. Still a long way to go until I get to 40k. But, its a goal. I also remembered my goal of beating all the Streets of Rage games.
However, for Streets of Rage 3. I will only be playing Bare Knuckle 3. As the american version is way too difficult. They just made it harder for the sake of it, and its one of the rare instances of the Japanese game being easier than the western one.

Damn that last level in sor3. One day I'll beat it.
Even tho I'm npt thrilled about the art style I can't wait to play 4

#2228 4 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

Damn that last level in sor3. One day I'll beat it.
Even tho I'm npt thrilled about the art style I can't wait to play 4

I think the game looks good. Blaze looks amazing. But, Axel looks a bit bad. His tied around the waist jacket looks bad, and I hate the beard. Don't know if they're going for hipster meets the 90s tude or rad era... But, its bad. I know a lot of hipsters. They don't even lift bro.

The other thing that scares me is the combo system. I hope its revamped to something that would/could be cool. I'd like a beat em up to do a fighting engine like batman arkham series. Make it value combos and timing. Put some skill into it. I love Dragons Crown. That is one of the very best beat em ups ever. But, even that game the combos could be stiff and brain dead.

A good beat em up should have skill to it. Something the first 3 did have... I'm ranting... Anyway. I'm sure Streets of Rage 4... If and when it comes out will be well worth the playthrough. And I can't wait to play it. I just hope it does come out. Been a lot of radio silence since its announcement.

2 weeks later
#2229 4 years ago

Well, I completed one of my goals and I cycled through the rooms for frenzy. The rooms are random, but they have 4 special rooms that appear in the game. And I not only made it through all 4, but I started going back through them.

26860 was my score. Nowhere near a world record. But, every 3k is an extra life and I got 8 of them. Not too shabby. I did get a bit of luck here and there.
For Berzerk I think my high score is still only around 15k. At 20k berzerk enemies cycle back around. I've mostly been focusing on frenzy though.

Very similar games. But, different strategies for both of them, sure some common elements are in both of them. But, still a slightly different feel. And once I feel like I'm getting burnt out on one of them, I switch to the other. Might be time to start Berzerk back up.
I'm a bit sad that I passed on a home unit for this. I found a good price for a unit that had both of them on it... Ohh well... When I get more space.

#2230 4 years ago

Anyone get a pre order in on the new NT mini V2?

#2231 4 years ago

No, I can't justify the price. Although, I could double my money in a month if I flip it, which is probably what most of the people who preordered are thinking.

#2232 4 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

No, I can't justify the price. Although, I could double my money in a month if I flip it, which is probably what most of the people who preordered are thinking.

do they really appreciate that much in value?

#2233 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

do they really appreciate that much in value?

V1 yes easy money double. V2 only time will tell. The pre-order did sell out today so check out eBay in July. Some are going to sell V1 in anticipation as well.

1 month later
#2234 4 years ago

So I just bought and beat all the campaigns in Duke Nukem 3d World Tour 20th Anniversary(PHEW long title, great game though and well worth spelling it all out).
And I had a lot of fun playing it. I bought it digitally for the PS4, and while I don't really like digital only games. I didn't know about hte physical version and that actually costs almost 3 times as much money.

And man I had a real blast playing through this game. I don't think I ever beat even the first campaign when I was a kid. For Christmas my brother(one of 5) got Duke Nukem 3d and I got Daggerfall. And I was upset!!!! Until I started playing Daggerfall and fell in love with it. We all did. Still I would play Duke Nukem quite a bit, but mostly the first two levels. The ones with the strippers and porno theaters. And I would run around seeing what duke could interact with, and what he could destroy.

Actually in the early first person shooters, that is what I did most of the time. I would see the interactivity of objects, and I would see what objects I could break. Now we take all that for granted. But, back in the day... Man, that kind of stuff blew my mind!!!

While I loved my playthrough of Duke Nukem 3d, if I was being honest I think I enjoyed the heck out of classic Doom and Doom II a lot more. They're better balanced FPS games and also the level designs not only standout as being better in I think every category. Better aesthetics, better design, quicker easier to navigate, and while doom always will ambush you... I think for the most part it was more fair than Duke Nukem 3d was. Too often you'd get an enemy teleporting in behind you, or to your side and they'd get a hit on you before you can respond. Also the hit scanning in duke nukem is a bit more than Doom was. Some enemies are almost always going to damage you.

Duke Nukem had some cool and fun levels, and at the time basing the stuff in the real world(for the most part) was a bit unique. I just think the sci fi/macabre hellish landscape of Doom holds up better. And also I think the level design in regards to the keys were handled a LOT better in DOOM than Nukem 3d. Just to me sometimes progressing in a level was such a slog. And really had too many puzzles and hidden areas that you had to find. Doom... Had some head scratching moments for me. But, they were more clever, and less cheap than the Duke Nukem moments. I had to look up 3-4 times online how to progress as I just was wondering. And one nuclear code at area 51... I just noped out of. I didn't want to spend 50 minutes entering combinations.

But, you know I still had a blast. And there are things I like about Duke over doom. Duke has a bit more creative weapons. The shrink ray is fun and useful, the freeze gun is cool, flamer pretty fun, and I like the pipe bomb. Also I like the jetpack and the medikit. But the jet pack is the coolest. It can make some levels super easy or fast. I wish the hologram wasn't glitchy and actually worked. But, in duke nukem 3d... I think only one enemy type will attack it.

And I like the fact that Duke Nukem's levels had multiple layers to them. Doom mostly is flat levels. It was the limitations of the engine. Couldn't really do rooms on top of rooms. But, Duke had plenty of rooms stacked right on top of each other. I don't really like all the water bits. In fact the underwater queen fight was my least favorite fight. But, still... At the time to have that kind of 3d vertical environment was pretty unique and amazing.

And since this is a pinball forum... I kind of would like a Duke Nukem pinball machine. That be a blast. Duke, Babes, and BALLS OF STEEL!

#2235 4 years ago

All so true. I don't worry so much about which is better, I'm just grateful we have both of them. And Quake also. I still get so much fun playing all of those. Hard to believe after almost 30 years. A testament to the brilliance of the original designers.

#2236 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

All so true. I don't worry so much about which is better, I'm just grateful we have both of them. And Quake also. I still get so much fun playing all of those. Hard to believe after almost 30 years. A testament to the brilliance of the original designers.

Quake is one of the rare early 3d games that is actually still fun to play to this day.

A lot of the early 3d stuff did not age well. And I'm sad to say that at the time, I was so enthralled with the 3d technology that I thought 2d sprites and 2d platformers and beat em ups were antiquated.

Now, I'm kicking myself for being so dumb. I loved the Die Hard Arcade beat em up, but truthfully, Knights of the Round, TMNT, Dungeons and Dragons, Cadillac and Dinosaurs, X-men and really any of the retro vintage 2d beat em have stood the test of time much better than that Die Hard game. I still do like it though.

But, back to my point... The early 3d games just didn't have all the interface issues figured out yet. Stuff we take for granted to this day. We needed those games, but they didn't age well... Which is why I like the not just remastered versions, but the versions where they tweak and enhance the original gameplay.

I do want to find another retro fps to play through. But, I think I need to setup my computer gaming station, as I think I exhausted the PS4's retro fps library. I was hoping Blood might have been remastered, or the original wolfenstien. I know Rise of the Triad has been remade, but that is on steam. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy modern FPS, beaten and loved all Bioshocks, and I know I will be buying Doom Eternal shortly. But, the original fps just have a unique feel that modern ones tend to lack. They're more about the go, go, go and SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT, and SHOOOOOOT!!!!

#2237 4 years ago

HERE YOU GO!!

https://www.gog.com/game/blood_fresh_supply

This just came off sale, it was $7.49. It will come on sale again, they are always having sales coming and going, if you have it on your wishlist you will get an email when it comes up again. I have it on my GOG wishlist, I will get it sometime soon, but I am still working through a ton of games. I am in the process of setting up a big gaming setup on my main PC using Launchbox as the front end. It incorporates all sorts of games including lots from Steam and GOG. I have 114 games on GOG alone!

Here are a few screen shots in its current state. And yes, I like to SHOOT, SHOOT and SHOOOT.

lb 2020-04 arcade (resized).jpglb 2020-04 arcade (resized).jpg

lb 2020-04 msdos (resized).jpglb 2020-04 msdos (resized).jpg

lb 2020-04 windows (resized).jpglb 2020-04 windows (resized).jpg

#2238 4 years ago

There used to be a PC Pinball game that came with an actual pin ball. I wanted that game so badly because of that ball, but never got it. LOL. Now I have jars of pinballs.

#2239 4 years ago

Well... I really should have been writing today to get scripts done for my artists.
But, I had to be on call to man a helpdesk phones for my work... Only like 4 calls the whole day for all 10 of us manning them. I did of course respond to my emails, and tomorrow I actually will go into a site to do some actual work...

Anyway, I took advantage to play some games today. And while one of the two games I beat today is not retro per say, it kind of is a reboot of a retro sega classic. I beat Toe Jam and Earl Back in the Groove two times today. Was really happy. It plays very much like the original sega game. In same ways original is better, and in some ways this one is better. I feel like rocket boots and Icarus wings were a lot more common in the original. And that made it so much more fun!

But, the big thing that I am most happy about is that I got to tick off a bucket list game completion today. I finally beat Super Mario Bros. 3. Yes, I used the warp whistles and yes, I used some walkthroughs... But, otherwise I beat it fair and square. I did use save states. But, only to speed up the reloading after I died. I did not use them in levels. There are infinite continues, and also world 8 has stages that reset that will give you the flying leaf once you beat the stage. They do this because they want you to start each level as racoon mario. So... Yeah.... It would have taken me a heck of a lot longer without using them. But, hey I legitimately beat each level.

I really can't remember if I beat that game when I was a child. I know as a family we did beat it, but I'm not certain if I ever actually beat it. I know we beat it more than a few times as we all would gather round and watch the person finally beat the game. And I'm quite pleased. As I haven't really played any retro platformer consistently for a long, long time. I think a few hours of sonic here and there, and only a few stages on Mario Brothers 3 total for the last few years. So a bit rusty. And the controller I used stunk... But, hey... I beat. And I am HAPPY!

Now I get to pick another retro game to play. Don't know what will be next.

#2240 4 years ago

Our pinball buddy benheck just worked on another rare video game console. This time he got a nintendo M82 working again. It’s a pretty cool piece of tech.

Another great video Ben, thanks for making it.

#2241 4 years ago

Our pinball buddy benheck just worked on another rare video game console. This time he got a nintendo M82 working again. It’s a pretty cool piece of tech.
Another great video Ben, thanks for making it.

Remember seeing those in the store thinking, "How can I get one of those?"

#2242 4 years ago

Been messing around with the 5200 I picked up a few months back. I had ordered a genesis controller adapter from overseas shortly after and it finally arrived. The stock controllers, even though they were fully working, really made me not want to play the system. They're bad. With a genesis arcade stick, this is a really fun system. Surprisingly fun, given the systems reputation. Some of the arcade ports may be the best available.

20200414_123700 (resized).jpg20200414_123700 (resized).jpg
#2243 4 years ago

gonna give away some NES games on the stream tonight. Gonna do some Contra speed runs.
10 eastern, 8pm mountain
twitch.tv/pure_retro_co

SquarePic_20200420_10365241 (resized).jpgSquarePic_20200420_10365241 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#2244 3 years ago

I've been working on finishing the basement of our new house. The gaming/home theater section is just about done. Dude lair 2.0, phase 1 is complete...

20200504_195645 (resized).jpg20200504_195645 (resized).jpg
#2245 3 years ago

Finally fixed the controls on my MAME setup (grounding issues), but this thing has 60,000 games from 1971 to 2003, including just about every DOS game ever made. I could play anything, but seem to be crawling back to some of the games of my youth I could never beat. Ultima Underworld, Kings Quest IV, Beavis and Butthead Virtual Stupidity are all on my list. Kids love it. The arcade games I'm gravitating to are late 90s 3d stuff like Gauntlet Legends and NFL Blitz. Great supplement to the pins.

Also, despite playing it every few years, I was today years old when I finally beat the first level on Ghosts and Ghouls.

20200416_180643 (resized).jpg20200416_180643 (resized).jpg20200416_191939 (resized).jpg20200416_191939 (resized).jpg20200429_191815 (resized).jpg20200429_191815 (resized).jpg
#2246 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

I've been working on finishing the basement of our new house. The gaming/home theater section is just about done. Dude lair 2.0, phase 1 is complete...
[quoted image]

That reminds me. I completely have no idea what happened to my old PowerGlove. I was pretty sure I knew exactly where it was back in my old room back home. Few years ago I went to grab it, and the only thing I found was the sensor bar.

2 weeks later
#2247 3 years ago

I just got my Turbo Grafx Mini and played it for about an hour or two and here are my thoughts...

Has a good game selection. A few games I'd prefer like both legendary ax games. I wish they included an english patch of snatcher(that be worth it for the price... but nope...) Also, I wish they had a english patch of the legend of the valkyrie game. That seems like fun, but I don't know what to do, so I can't play it. Will look for a patched version for my pi though...

So of course if I own a pi, why would i waste money on a mini console. First. I think their interface is generally better and more user friendly. Save states are easier to use. I do use save states from time to time. I use them mostly to practice on games so I can beat them without cheating. That's how I beat super mario 3 and I hope to get good enough to beat super mario bros. Just need to get a bit more consistent with some of the levels.

But, the real reason why I buy the mini consoles is I like to support and show the companies there is a market for the retro games. Not just the old ones, but new ones. So new retro games, as the old games have a certain charm to them that modern triple a games do not have.
And also, some games just don't emulate that well.
I can't get rondo of blood or lords of thunder to work on my pi. Tried for many hours.

Both of them work great here. Sure I Rondo of Blood doesn't have an english patch, but its still playable. Funny thing... I own that on my ps4 as I got it with Symphony of the Night. But, its nice to have it on the mini console.

But, I think the sega one was a bit better. Even though the sega one only had one streets of rage game on it. Kind of stupid if you ask me!!!! But, then again. I have all those on my pi... But, I still think the games are not as good as the ones on the sega mini or the snes mini, and the nes mini. I don't own any of hte nintendo ones yet. Maybe later this year, I'll collect them. We'll see. It depends on when I have the spare money.

#2248 3 years ago

Mines coming soon. So the TG16 mini is an amazon exclusive, and I wasn’t able to preorder it from their .ca site. So I ordered it from amazon.com on oct 2, shipping was going to be in April. Covid came in March and my shipping was delayed until Jan 2021! A couple days ago my shipping changed to june 2-5. Can’t wait, I’m excited.

I have the NES, SNES, and SEGA mini already. My plan was to mod each to have the top ~100 from that system. I’ve only done the sega so far. You tubers have opened the TG16 up and i think it runs the same board as the sega does, so it should be hackable with project lunar in time.

I’ve been close to getting the PS1 mini on multiple occasions because it can be a good system if you hack it too. I like the idea of the C64 mini, but doubt that I would actually use it, maybe the one that comes with a joystick would be cool.

The AT-Games Atari flashback machine gets good reviews, and even though I put hundreds of hours into some of these games as a kid I have no interest in going back to play them on a 2600 mini system.

#2249 3 years ago

Mines coming soon. So the TG16 mini is an amazon exclusive, and I wasn’t able to preorder it from their .ca site. So I ordered it from amazon.com on oct 2, shipping was going to be in April. Covid came in March and my shipping was delayed until Jan 2021! A couple days ago my shipping changed to june 2-5. Can’t wait, I’m excited.
I have the NES, SNES, and SEGA mini already. My plan was to mod each to have the top ~100 from that system. I’ve only done the sega so far. You tubers have opened the TG16 up and i think it runs the same board as the sega does, so it should be hackable with project lunar in time.
I’ve been close to getting the PS1 mini on multiple occasions because it can be a good system if you hack it too. I like the idea of the C64 mini, but doubt that I would actually use it, maybe the one that comes with a joystick would be cool.
The AT-Games Atari flashback machine gets good reviews, and even though I put hundreds of hours into some of these games as a kid I have no interest in going back to play them on a 2600 mini system.

See... I think a pi 4 would be more preferable than a ps mini... But, honestly if I didn't need to hack it. Then I might have bought one, but it was so messed up.

The c64 mini. Sounds cooler than what it would be. There just really are not that many classic games on the c64. It has a fine version of thrust. It has a few decent platformers and most of the other games just haven't aged well... I played a few games on it. Not for me. Which is fine.

I'm torn on the atari. As I love the atari. One of my favorite games ever is commie mutants from space. Its basically space invaders meets breakout. But, it has some really cool game options that can give you powerups like slow time and shield. Really cool stuff for a 2600 game.

7800 had ninja golf. Amazing game. Best game on that system. But, really only about 10 or so unique games that are any good for the console. The rest were arcade ports or games that were better on the nes.
But, really it just depends on the game list for the atari... And also if it has paddle controllers. I'd buy one just for a paddle controller. They don't have any usb ones. A shame!!!!!

#2250 3 years ago

If you can find a deluxe version they have paddle controllers.

3990BBB8-2A53-458A-88C2-EFDDB9B42C39 (resized).jpeg3990BBB8-2A53-458A-88C2-EFDDB9B42C39 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,070 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 62.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nes-classic-edition-unobtainium/page/45?hl=nintenbear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.