IMG_0340 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0339 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0341 (resized).jpeg
_20240408_142036 (resized).JPG
_20240408_142108 (resized).JPG
20240407_103121 (resized).jpg
20240319_202154 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
There are 3,070 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 62.
#1901 5 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

So I picked up the NES and SNES Classic and loaded them with my favorites. My favorite aspect of the systems is playing with the original controller and not clunky 3rd party crap.
So now that I’m good with Nintendo, I’ve been exploring a Sega version. The ATGames versions are garbage, so I decided to build my own with the Genesis USB hub from NerdBlock.
The raspberry pi fits perfectly, so my plan is to make my own Genesis console complete with the original controller. Tons of tutorials out there, so it shouldn’t be too cosmic. [quoted image][quoted image]

Dang. Thought that maybe these were starting to become more available. Looks like they're still around $60. But looks like Retroflag is coming out with one soon.

#1902 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Dang. Thought that maybe these were starting to become more available. Looks like they're still around $60. But looks like Retroflag is coming out with one soon.

Funny you mention that. ETA Prime just uploaded his review of the Retroflag Mega Drive case. He said it was phenomenal and one of the best retropie cases out there. Definitely a good option, especially for $25 (and integrated power and reset).

The Genesis arrived today and looks great, especially next to the NES and SNES Classic. Having the Sega Genesis label was important to me vs. the generic retropie label on the Retroflag. Looking forward to making another retropie and I’ll definitely report back.

I did order the Retroflag controller because of the select button. I have an OEM Genesis controller, but without a select button, I would probably struggle to sort between games.

Anyway, Retroflag has a ton of great options if you don’t mind the generic label.

#1903 5 years ago

Picked upped some vintage gaming swag today at Winners

20181115_170545.jpg20181115_170545.jpg20181115_170603.jpg20181115_170603.jpg
#1904 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

did people play jumping flash or mr driller?

Are you serious?

Jumping Flash was brilliant! ROBO BUNNY DEATH And Mr. Driller is addictive as hell, but I'm with RH...I had it on the saturn, and still have it on the DS....

#1905 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Are you serious?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topics/user-participatedJumping ... And Mr. Driller is addictive as hell, but I'm with RH...I had it on the saturn, and still have it on the DS....

Don't you mean Dreamcast? I don't think Mr. Driller came out on the Saturn.

#1906 5 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Uhhhhhhhhh Dreamcast. A actual hone arcade.... wish they could plan a second one with a lot of arcade games on it again... I never had a Saturn, but almost bought one to collect. I was told it had a lot of good games as well

#1907 5 years ago

I bought a used Dreamcast back in early 00s for one game. Had a few others but man I loved this game. Also that weird, huge star trek symbol controller was a beast.

index.jpgindex.jpg
#1908 5 years ago

Yes. I haven't had a day off work in over a month. My brain is swiss cheese.

#1909 5 years ago

Just finished castlevania anime season 2, wow. That was good. Makes me want to play sympthony of the night.

#1910 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Just finished castlevania anime season 2, wow. That was good. Makes me want to play sympthony of the night.

The same guy is now making a Devil May Cry show.

#1911 5 years ago

I need some help. Anyone good with troubleshooting electronic issues with vague descriptions about 90's gaming hardware?

I've replaced the capacitors on my Sega CDX. Everything went relatively well, except for one issue right now. The CD doesn't spin. The CD did spin before I started replacing capacitors, so it's my issue.

I went one by one making sure the solder joints are all good and nothing appears to be causing a short.

The Laser tray moves and the lens moves too. When I turn on the power, the CD hub slightly shakes, so I know it has power. It's just not receiving the data to tell it to spin.

Now there was one issue I ran into when removing an old capacitor. I accidentally removed a pad while pulling it out. But this wasn't a normal solder pad for one leg of the capacitor, it was shared by Pin 1 of a chip. So the positive pole of the capacitor was directly soldered to Pin1 of a chip. I search for any traces leading away from that pad, and I saw nothing. Held it up to the light and could see where all the other pins on the chip go, but did not see anywhere where this should have gone. So my thought was that the only bridge was between the capacitor and Pin 1.

That may be my issue, it may not. I have no idea how to test. I've tried continuity tests, and haven't figured anything out.

So my question is, does anyone know how to track this down, or at least figure out which part of the board handles the spinning action of the CD?

More searching and testing

Saw others having same issue. Comments said to clean the laser lens. I've done that, and still nothing. But they said that if it can't see a disc, it won't spin. I have noticed that my lens doesn't shine a laser. So maybe this issue is with the laser not being able to turn on. The laser did work before, so I know it didn't go bad. It still has to do with something I've done.

I've tested, and all the connections to the ribbon are good for the laser. There are 4 connections to the laser. I tested each one individually. With JUST the ribbon connected, the laser does move up and down. But no red dot is seen. The power cable to move the sled back and forth works. The power cable to spin the CD I assume works, since it shakes a little when powering up. And there's a 3rd power cable that I'm not sure what it does. It goes just underneath the CD spinner hub, but can't tell what it would power up. So no idea if that works.

Edit 2

And looks like I got a bad laser. I ordered a replacement and swapped it out. I figured it would have been good. Put the old one back in, and the disc spins. But doesn't read discs very well. I've tried messing it the POTs and cannot make it perfect. So as of right now, it doesn't seem the capacitors was the issue of the Laser not reading discs, or a slipup of installing new ones.

Contacting ebay seller to see about getting a replacement.

#1912 5 years ago
Quoted from Goalie:

The same guy is now making a Devil May Cry show.

I saw that! Should be good!

Edit: waiting is going to suck :-p

#1913 5 years ago

I can’t remember if anyone talked about this on here, but if someone has a set of Turbografx16 roms, please PM me-I’ve been looking like crazy with no luck.
Thanks,
Steve

#1914 5 years ago
Quoted from bowz:

I can’t remember if anyone talked about this on here, but if someone has a set of Turbografx16 roms, please PM me-I’ve been looking like crazy with no luck.
Thanks,
Steve

Arcadepunks

#1915 5 years ago

I’m good to go thanks to an incredibly helpful Pinsider.

Steve

1 week later
#1917 5 years ago

Open source emulation, no rumble, half the games are the PAL versions for some reason...what a piece of trash. Glad I cancelled my order.

#1918 5 years ago

These are so shitty, they will become incredibly rare in the future, no one will buy this

#1919 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

These are so shitty, they will become incredibly rare in the future, no one will buy this

Well, unwitting parents will unfortunately give this as a gift this Christmas thinking how hot and unobtainable the Nintendo classics used to be and that this is the next big thing

#1920 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Open source emulation, no rumble, half the games are the PAL versions for some reason...what a piece of trash. Glad I cancelled my order.

I hoping that:
- the japanese version has all 60hz incarnations of the titles present and more importantly it gets hacked so that I can add the games that I really want to play on it (like the final fantasy tactics beta with the 2-player option

#1921 5 years ago

It's like Sony had AtGames make their ps1 classic

#1922 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

It's like Sony had AtGames make their ps1 classic

It really seems like it's a farmed out 3rd party project.

I maintain you could get a real PS1 and a pile of games for $100 - they're not remotely as expensive as NES/SNES thus reducing value proposition.

#1923 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It really seems like it's a farmed out 3rd party project.
I maintain you could get a real PS1 and a pile of games for $100 - they're not remotely as expensive as NES/SNES thus reducing value proposition.

The main gist of these minis is easy HDMI play for classic consoles & convenience of a nice curated collection (and the cute factor). That being said you can play PS1 games physically or digitally on a PS3 with hdmi, digitally on PS4.

#1924 5 years ago

I canceled my pre-order. I kinda wanted it for a shelf display, but need to save money instead. I'll wait and see if these go to the clearance section next year.

#1925 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I canceled my pre-order. I kinda wanted it for a shelf display, but need to save money instead. I'll wait and see if these go to the clearance section next year.

...or if someone hacks it with a bevy of options & improves the thing entirely.

#1926 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The main gist of these minis is easy HDMI play for classic consoles & convenience of a nice curated collection (and the cute factor). That being said you can play PS1 games physically or digitally on a PS3 with hdmi, digitally on PS4.

ps2 also had ps1 play with those little enhancements incase no ps3 was around.

#1927 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...or if someone hacks it with a bevy of options & improves the thing entirely.

I will buy it if it is hackable and I can put my own games on, however if a DS could be used, it would just sweeten the pot. What I don;t like about buying it, is Sony is getting money and thinking it sold well but I only want it for the case.......

#1928 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

ps2 also had ps1 play with those little enhancements incase no ps3 was around.

No HDMI on PS2.

#1929 5 years ago

I would be curious to see what someone comes up with in hacking this. Wonder how much storage they put in it? Just enough to hold only the games they put on it? Or more? And if it is limited, can it be expanded?

#1930 5 years ago

I think that they will release another one in 2019 with better games and DualShock controllers. The games on this one mostly work well with a D-pad, but games like gran turismo and crash bandicoot really need an analog stick to play. The DualShock didn’t come out until later in the PSX life.

Quoted from benheck:

I maintain you could get a real PS1 and a pile of games for $100

An early PSX (model 1000, 1001, and 1002) has a really good sound processor chip, so people have been using them as audiophile quality CD player. These ones are hard to find, and can be $100. But it’s is a win-win situation if you get a good one.

#1931 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No HDMI on PS2.

Mmmm, yes good point. I think they make component though? Hdmi is ultra convenient though

#1932 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I would be curious to see what someone comes up with in hacking this. Wonder how much storage they put in it? Just enough to hold only the games they put on it? Or more? And if it is limited, can it be expanded?

Couple good things, if they are using Linux and open source emulator, could add features. Also we know it has a usb bus (Nintendo used i2c) so there is the possibility of expanding storage more easily.

Edit: looks like 1gb ram and 16gb flash built on. I see a jtag or uart, so we could get info pretty quick...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eurogamer.net/amp/digitalfoundry-2018-playstation-mini-teardown

Using the open source emulator isn’t a bad thing, the community usually makes some great stuff....and if you see the project they have save states and rewind so if we can load that on... you have a nice system. Just sucks it wasn’t “from the factory”

https://docs.libretro.com/library/pcsx_rearmed/

#1933 5 years ago

Other reason I canceled my pre-order is because I actually had no intention in playing it, even if someone were to hack it. The Raspberry Pi plays the games perfectly fine. I've been "collecting" all the games I've wanted from the PSX and putting them on my Pi.

I was actually really surprised that the games even play since N64 ones are terrible on the Pi.

So it appears that the it's probably the same emulator on the Retro Pie and PSX Classic? If that's the case, that's a big selling point for RPi.

#1934 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Other reason I canceled my pre-order is because I actually had no intention in playing it, even if someone were to hack it. The Raspberry Pi plays the games perfectly fine. I've been "collecting" all the games I've wanted from the PSX and putting them on my Pi.
I was actually really surprised that the games even play since N64 ones are terrible on the Pi.
So it appears that the it's probably the same emulator on the Retro Pie and PSX Classic? If that's the case, that's a big selling point for RPi.

Yes, it is the same, pscx-rearmed . So I hope they can get those cool features into the psx classic. I have a retro pi, but I really LOVE the look and feel of the original case and controller(s). The menu systems are pretty nice on these classics too, idk. I get both sides, it is easily done via a pi, and they make 3d printed cases, PLUS you could use a blue tooth controller.

#1935 5 years ago

Rumor from Kotaku, is the back of the psx classic box says:

"You'll be Jumping to Flash this with more ROMs!"

https://kotaku.com/playstation-classic-the-kotaku-review-1830668016

#1936 5 years ago

An early PSX (model 1000, 1001, and 1002) has a really good sound processor chip, so people have been using them as audiophile quality CD player. These ones are hard to find, and can be $100. But it’s is a win-win situation if you get a good one.

I just picked one up for $10. Has a skippy laser tho.

#1937 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Mmmm, yes good point. I think they make component though? Hdmi is ultra convenient though

Yeah I’ve got RGB for my PS1 & 2...but most consumers don’t understand any of that, and plug n play with HDMI is an attractive feature.

#1938 5 years ago

Anyone in this thread down for some Unreal Tournament action?

#1939 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

what system? PC?

#1940 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Rumor from Kotaku, is the back of the psx classic box says:
"You'll be Jumping to Flash this with more ROMs!"
https://kotaku.com/playstation-classic-the-kotaku-review-1830668016

I guess that comment was a joke....

#1942 5 years ago

I keep picking these up when I run across them since they are just a ps1 to most people.

#1943 5 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

I keep picking these up when I run across them since they are just a ps1 to most people.

I like the sound of the ps1 on my Yamaha 7.1 surround system. I think it sounds better then my sony 5 disk changer, but it’s not nearly as good of quality as my turntable. I don’t consider myself an audiophile, but it seems better to me.

I’ve read a bit online about this, and there seems to be some dispute on the audiophile forums. But the early model ps1 systems had a really good quality DAC that was changed in later models. It’s not as good as top of the line equipment with something like a 24bit DAC, but that is more expensive. The frequency range on the ps1 just seems to be a really pleasant sounding chip.

It would be cool for someone with talent to actually test this urban legend and see if it really is as good as some people say.

Edit. Also if you have one of these. Connect it with the RCA jacks on the back, NOT THE PS1 CABLE. the difference is noticeable

#1944 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I just picked one up for $10. Has a skippy laser tho.

You can get replacement drives for most models.

#1945 5 years ago

You can get replacement drives for most models.

I’ve heard the Chinese replacements are crap - so I bought the $10 PS to put its laser in my own PS with a skippy laser...but now I have 2 with bad lasers. I guess I’ll just try some replacement drives....anyone have recommendations for quality ones?

#1946 5 years ago

Does anyone have experience with the sega Dreamcast, and a GDEmu board installed? I have a bundle coming. 4 controllers, 1 vmu, the modded console, and a couple SD cards with the entire Dreamcast collection.

Back in the day I only had a handful of Dreamcast games, but pricing them out individually gets pretty costly at current rates. I figure this way I have everything ready to go on day one, and I don’t have to worry about scratches on the games or a blown out laser down the road.

#1947 5 years ago

I have the usb gdrom thing, but haven’t installed it yet... ultra basic menu but super nice to browse and go

#1949 5 years ago

ps1 classic "hacking" is coming along nicely. New controllers, emulator options via keyboard, and some japanese people have the firmware dumped and looking into replacing the emulator with a newer version....nice.

#1950 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I just don't have time to play much these days and I would be super rusty at UT. But good lord some of the best times we ever had was when we would set up a handful of PCs on my home network and just go to town against each other in deathmatches. Man that is fun times. We also played a lot of Capture the Flag and Onslaught, hours on end, moms/wives yelling at us and being ignored...

UT (resized).jpgUT (resized).jpg

There are 3,070 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 62.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nes-classic-edition-unobtainium/page/39 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.