DSC_4700 (resized).JPG
DSC_4699 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240405_080331 (resized).jpg
_20240411_210104 (resized).JPG
DSC_4645 (resized).JPG
DSC_4642 (resized).JPG
DSC_4626 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
There are 3,073 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 62.
#1551 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

my local best buy had 140 and it took them over 4 hours to sell out. Nintendo said stores will be getting restocked within two weeks with more.

Boom.

I'd love to have been a fly on the way at the meeting where Reggie screamed at the Japanese side and said "MAKE 10 MILLION OF THESE THINGS, YOU YEN-HATING FUCKS!"

#1552 6 years ago

Where is the topic gallery on this thread?

#1553 6 years ago

I only want one with yellowing plastic or I'll pass

#1554 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

but hey - he survived!

Indeed.
It was 10 hours total in line but, people were cool and respectful during the wait. The original 25 allotment we heard last night “magically” ballooned to 61 by morning.

Did I need to wait in line?

No, no I didn’t... Rare was right.
Heck,
Even curious 8AM onlookers were able to snag one when the original line finished getting their tickets.
(There was 15 left as I was walking in to pay. )
Oh well, it’s over now and I rewarded my 2017 SNES journey with 4 pastor street tacos and a large horchata.
Will I do it again if they go ahead and do the N64 next?

No, probably not.

SNES was my favorite system to date so it was a no-brainer to wait overnight to make sure I got one.
Plus, the NES Classic wait for me was only two hours at launch so I figured it was just karmic justice that I should put in the time for this one.
It will be nice to re-visit all these great games with (hopefully) no stutter/slowdown or lag. (Looking at you Castlevania IV’s spinning room!)

Isn’t it refreshing to get so much bang for the buck? Less than a shaker too!

#1555 6 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

It will be nice to re-visit all these great games with (hopefully) no stutter/slowdown or lag. (Looking at you Castlevania IV’s spinning room!)

It's emulating the original system, not improving on it. If the original game had slowdown, it will still be there.

#1556 6 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

no stutter/slowdown or lag

Don't get your hopes up. Contra 3 definitely has some slowdown on the top-down rotation areas.

Controllers feel great, but honestly the lack of slop in the controls takes some getting used to. Controls on some games feels WAY tighter than it used to. Starfox 2 is very odd. I haven't played the prior roms that were out there, so I can't say what's different or new on that. Mario Kart hasn't aged well, lol.

#1557 6 years ago

Donkey Kong country has aged gracefully......those mine cart stages are tougher than I remember. It’s still a beautiful game with excellent sounds and gameplay. RARE was king back than.

#1558 6 years ago

I still have my original sega genesis from 1991. I have hundreds of cartridges I've bought on eBay over the past decade. But now I have hyperspin on a mame arcade cabinet so it sits in totes in my basement.

#1559 6 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

so it sits in totes in my basement.

Good call. Just in time for the winter months ahead!

8B8B6AEA-ED50-4463-993E-217C6EE57B4D (resized).jpeg8B8B6AEA-ED50-4463-993E-217C6EE57B4D (resized).jpeg

Quoted from Frax:

Don't get your hopes up. Contra 3 definitely has some slowdown on the top-down rotation areas.

Ah, bummer.
Was hoping it was a processor limitation thing from pushing the old system rather than a coded one in game.
I guess the bright side is, at least it’ll be nostalgic when I come across those specific moments.

#1560 6 years ago

I think we've become more aware of framerate slowdown since PC gaming and the past few generations of consoles. I remember some games becoming slow, but never once thought about it.

Playing games like Sonic again when he loses all the coins is really noticeable today.

#1561 6 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I remember some games becoming slow, but never once thought about it.

Yeah, most of the SHMUP carts back then suffered greatly when there was an overload of stuff on the screen. On the rare occasion it helped you navigate all the treachery but, more often than not, it got you killed.

I was just hoping with today’s technology it would’ve solved that problem since those games (like Contra III,) aren’t actually dealing with the shortcomings of their respective PCBs anymore.

I remember specifically when SFII Turbo came out for the SNES it was a big deal that the cart had 20 MEGS(!!!) at it’s disposal, which was the largest cart to date (I think,) for the system.

Far cry from triple digit Neo Geo numbers, but a crap-ton better than the previous SFII port.

#1562 6 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Yeah, most of the SHMUP carts back then suffered greatly when there was an overload of stuff on the screen. On the rare occasion it helped you navigate all the treachery but, more often than not, it got you killed.
I was just hoping with today’s technology it would’ve solved that problem since those games (like Contra III,) aren’t actually dealing with the shortcomings of their respective PCBs anymore.
I remember specifically when SFII Turbo came out for the SNES it was a big deal that the cart had 20 MEGS(!!!) at it’s disposal, which was the largest cart to date (I think,) for the system.
Far cry from triple digit Neo Geo numbers, but a crap-ton better than the previous SFII port.

I love the slowdown in gradius iii. It's like the only way you can beat it haha. If you die and lose all your powerups the slowdown doesn't happen and you can't get thru certain areas unless you are flawless cause shit happens so fast

#1563 6 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

I love the slowdown in gradius iii. It's like the only way you can beat it haha. If you die and lose all your powerups the slowdown doesn't happen and you can't get thru certain areas unless you are flawless cause shit happens so fast

I think it was Ducktales for the NES, the only way I was able to beat one of the bosses was from using the "Slow-mo" feature on the NES joystick controller. It basicly just paused the game rapidly.

Edit. Found it. It was Mickey Mousecapade. Here's the level that I couldn't ever beat at full speed. Ah.. .Nostalgic times. That music is still burned in my head.

#1564 6 years ago

If anyone's doing the Raspberry Pi/RetroPie thing, the RetroFlag case is back in stock on Amazon. Bought two, and they are a dead ringer for the NES Classic. Slightly different in size, but only noticeable if you put them side by side. These cases have been selling out, and selling for $60 on ebay and Amazon from other sellers. Also seen people using a Magic Eraser to remove the NESPi, and putting on their own stickers.

http://amzn.to/2fGJjLQ

NEScase (resized).jpgNEScase (resized).jpg

#1565 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Where is the topic gallery on this thread?

Anyone know why rhe picture gallery isn't on the top of this thread?

#1566 6 years ago

Tools were released yesterday to hack in more games. About 75% of games work through the tool on the stock emulator. Most others work through RetroArch. Seems there's about space for 120 or so games to be added, thanks to compression. Ninty didn't add additional storage space over the NES Classic, unfortunately for us all, and the provided games are in a non-writeable partition that can't be dicked with, so you can't compress those to save any space either.

Lots of info on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/

#1567 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Tools were released yesterday to hack in more games. About 75% of games work through the tool on the stock emulator. Most others work through RetroArch. Seems there's about space for 120 or so games to be added, thanks to compression. Ninty didn't add additional storage space over the NES Classic, unfortunately for us all, and the provided games are in a non-writeable partition that can't be dicked with, so you can't compress those to save any space either.
Lots of info on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/

hmm, have you had success on yours or have you tried it yet? So you have to add another emulator to the snes mini to make some games work?

#1568 6 years ago

hmm, have you had success on yours or have you tried it yet? So you have to add another emulator to the snes mini to make some games work?

This is no different than what was done with the NES mini. It's the same tool, just updated for the SNES Mini. You don't HAVE to install Retroarch, but IMO you'd be dumb not to. For one, the base copy of it gives you access to SNES9x and NES emulators, so you can load SNES roms. Second, you can specify in Hakchi2 with a command line modifier if games should be forced into using Retroarch, because they have issues with the built in emulator (Canoe). Third, you can add optional packages to play TurboGrafix, Sega Master System, Game Boy/GBC/GBA, Capcom CPS2 games, older arcade games, etc etc.....but the more emulators you add at a time, the less space you have for games. It's really easy to just hook back up to the computer and remove games when you're done, and to swap out the installed emulators to preserve space. The updated kernel also offers some convenience things, like being able to hold down and select to get back to the games menu without having to go physically press the reset button on the mini.

You don't need to open the shell, no physical modification required.

Yes, I've added (and still have space for plenty more!):

Tetris Attack
Terranigma
Lagoon
Super Bomberman 2
Donkey Kong Country 2/3
Star Ocean
Puzzle Bobble
King of Monsters 1/2
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Final Fantasy '2'
Final Fantasy 5 (romhack patched to english)
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Killer Instinct
Actraiser
Chrono Trigger
E.V.O.
Gradius 3
Mega Man X2 / X3
Raiden Trad (untested so far)
Super High Impact
Secret of Evermore
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Godzilla (my version will not load in either emulator..pretty sure. I need to take a look and see if I have it forced into RA or not)

#1569 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

This is no different than what was done with the NES mini. It's the same tool, just updated for the SNES Mini. You don't HAVE to install Retroarch, but IMO you'd be dumb not to. For one, the base copy of it gives you access to SNES9x and NES emulators, so you can load SNES roms. Second, you can specify in Hakchi2 with a command line modifier if games should be forced into using Retroarch, because they have issues with the built in emulator (Canoe). Third, you can add optional packages to play TurboGrafix, Sega Master System, Game Boy/GBC/GBA, Capcom CPS2 games, older arcade games, etc etc.....but the more emulators you add at a time, the less space you have for games. It's really easy to just hook back up to the computer and remove games when you're done, and to swap out the installed emulators to preserve space. The updated kernel also offers some convenience things, like being able to hold down and select to get back to the games menu without having to go physically press the reset button on the mini.
You don't need to open the shell, no physical modification required.
Yes, I've added (and still have space for plenty more!):
Tetris Attack
Terranigma
Lagoon
Super Bomberman 2
Donkey Kong Country 2/3
Star Ocean
Puzzle Bobble
King of Monsters 1/2
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Final Fantasy '2'
Final Fantasy 5 (romhack patched to english)
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Killer Instinct
Actraiser
Chrono Trigger
E.V.O.
Gradius 3
Mega Man X2 / X3
Raiden Trad (untested so far)
Super High Impact
Secret of Evermore
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Godzilla (my version will not load in either emulator..pretty sure. I need to take a look and see if I have it forced into RA or not)

i missed out on the nes mini and didnt pay scalpers prices so i have no experience

i read all the reddit stuff yesterday and downloaded a bunch of roms and hackchi2. hopefully ill be able to get it all going today.

definitely ready for Terranigma and Secert of Mana 2

#1570 6 years ago

I don't have a NES Mini either, and I didn't read up on the process at the time.

Terranigma definitely needs to be on RetroArch AFAIK, and even then may still have issues. The euro cart runs at 50hz, there's a patch out there to put it at 60. I'm finding that I have to be super careful with my specific romsets, because my stuff is SO OLD, that much of it is in Super Pasofami's ROM format, which apparently Hakchi2 or SNES9x doesn't like. Other issues I've run into was like installing the Euro (Marked with an (E) in my sets.....apparently I thought that was ENGLISH...LOL) roms instead of US ones. Japanese games run at 60hz so those are fine...but any Euro only-yet-still-in-english games like Terranigma and Star Ocean need to be patched....it just happens that I have a massive set and mine already were. =P

SoM 3, you mean? "Secret of Mana" *is* Seiken Densetsu 2.

#1571 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

SoM 3, you mean? "Secret of Mana" *is* Seiken Densetsu 2.

I suppose. in the us the first one is Final Fantasy Adventure on gameboy and then Secret of Mana on snes.

I bought the Seiken Densetsu switch collection and imported it because when I preordered it the listing said it had english subtitles but alas, its all in japanese haha. But yeah I guess I call it Seiken Densetsu 3 or Secert of Mana 2 O_o

#1572 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Super High Impact

when I got my snes as a kid (birthday gift) in 96, it had Mario world, super rtype, and high impact. My one older brother would always get me used "older game systems", I cant thank him enough today.

Me and my best friend that grew up down the street still quote this game today lol. Not the best game but it was fun once we figured it out.

the next day I bought starfox and still have that music stuck in my head today.

#1573 6 years ago

Just grabbed a SNES from the local mall!

#1574 6 years ago

So in the last two weeks I got for free an Intelivision, Fairchild Channel F, and a Galaxain coleco tabletop. I guess when it rains it pours

plus for a good deal I got a pc engine core grafx with games. very excited for this, should be here tomorrow

fun times. yesterday at the store they had mick and mac for master system for 3 dollars. had to pick it up cause I don't come around cheap master system games often and it is a PAL exclusive.

I'm such a nerd

#1575 6 years ago

Hey, did you guys see the announcement of the Analogue Super NT, a FPGA-based HDMI SNES "clone"?

I've got an original SNES & Framemeister, so I don't really *need* this....but - I love the RetroUSB AVS, an FPGA HDMI NES...so - I'm ordering one of these! Going straight from HDMI is always better than an upscaler, IMO, even though I love the Framemeister....and I'm a true believer in the FPGA experience for classic consoles!

Hopefully there will be jailbreak code on it like there was with Analogue's NT Mini...with that official/unofficial code, you could play games off the system directly from multiple consoles.

I also love transparent consoles lol...so, guess which one I ordered.

https://www.analogue.co/pages/super-nt/

Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 12.33.51 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-10-17 at 12.33.51 PM (resized).png

#1576 6 years ago

The Analogue Super NT is cool, but I also have a Framemeister and use the RGB out from regular SNES, so no buy from me at this moment. I may change my mind if other cores are available for free like with the original NT Mini.

#1577 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hey, did you guys see the announcement of the Analogue Super NT, a FPGA-based HDMI SNES "clone"?

Ordered! Now I can finally get rid of the giant CRT I've been using to play my SNES carts.

#1578 6 years ago

I've been running my SNES, NES, Genesis, and other classic consoles on an older Plasma "EDTV" (Enhanced Definition TV). It's a large 42" flatscreen, but since it's native resolution is exactly 480p, classic games look excellent on it, even though it's a large screen. The only thing it doesn't produce are scanlines from a CRT.

I thought long and hard about getting these Classic Consoles, but I think I'll just stick to original hardware--especially since SNES games have aged really well.

#1579 6 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

Now I can finally get rid of the giant CRT

DONT DO IT! In 10 years it will be virtually impossible to find a good CRT. Put it in the bsmt or in storage but don’t toss it out like everyone else has. In 20 years you’ll swear that the SNES looked better on your old CRT the it does on your new 12K ultra super duper TV. I’m holding on to a nice 32” CRT just in case.

#1580 6 years ago

Who else is stoked for Super Mario Odyssey coming out tomorrow?? Getting great reviews

#1581 6 years ago

Who else is stoked for Super Mario Odyssey coming out tomorrow?? Getting great reviews

freaking people already got theirs today...my preorder I can grab at BB at 10am tomorrow...freaking pumped! I was watching the gamexplain live footage this am..sooooooo amazing.

#1582 6 years ago

super pumped for this game! we did the amazon prime preorder and saved 12 bucks...

also got lucky last week and finally scored a SNES MINI with the target restock (across the street from my work).

#1583 6 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

super pumped for this game! we did the amazon prime preorder and saved 12 bucks...
also got lucky last week and finally scored a SNES MINI with the target restock (across the street from my work).

Yeah i did the best buy preorder with the gamer club for the 12 bucks off cause you get a cool collectible coin with it haha. I'll pick it up on my lunch break. cant wait to check it out!

#1584 6 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

I did the Amazon pre-order, but buckled and bought digitally. Pre-loaded and ready to go at 9PM tonight!!!

I'll just sell my Amazon one when it shows up lol...

I've struggled with the cartridges vs. digital thing with the Switch since I got it....but I know I would never sell this game - I like the idea that it's permanently embedded into my Switch. I think I'll continue to buy carts for games that I might want to sell in the future....but Mario is forever.

#1585 6 years ago

Had to throw the snow tires on in the storm to go get Mario odyssey

093D6C88-DEF3-4170-AEAF-A9CF8ABEC967 (resized).jpeg093D6C88-DEF3-4170-AEAF-A9CF8ABEC967 (resized).jpeg

#1586 6 years ago

I expected MARIO to be good but I didn’t think it would be as good as it is. Nintendo is back, Zelda and Mario are All Time level good. Pretty impressive start for Switch if the can deliver on Metroid who knows where they might end up. They could give Microsoft a bit of a run for the number 2 spot.

#1587 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I expected MARIO to be good but I didn’t think it would be as good as it is. Nintendo is back, Zelda and Mario are All Time level good. Pretty impressive start for Switch if the can deliver on Metroid who knows where they might end up. They could give Microsoft a bit of a run for the number 2 spot.

My gosh. I never have time for gaming, but I've been finding time for mario. It is sooooooo freaking good.

#1588 6 years ago

Mario is freaking amazing. Nintendo is killing it! Zelda crushed, Metroid Samus Returns (even tho it was a remake) was phenomenal and Mario Odyssey is just a pure joy to play and reminds me of being a kid playing mario 64 trying to get all the stars, except there are so many freaking moons in ingenious locations! Going to take a long while to find them all (without any cheating!)

I feel the Switch is the first must own Nintendo home console since the 64. The gamecube, wii and wii u (which I have all 3) didnt bring it like the Switch is.

#1589 6 years ago

Nintendo really bounced back with the Switch. I'm still annoyed that they're doing their trademark "restrict the supply to artificially increase demand," but I do think that there is genuinely a high demand for the console. Just in the case of Zelda (which I should mention, I'm playing on the Wii U) has given me that child-like sense of wonder I haven't felt since I first played Banjo-Kazooie back in 1998.

Nintendo seemed to really strong arm their development prowess to squeeze out every ounce of power for Odyssey. I love me some Metroid though, and that'll be an insta-buy when Prime 4 is released.

#1590 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Nintendo really bounced back with the Switch. I'm still annoyed that they're doing their trademark "restrict the supply to artificially increase demand,"

Are they? I walked into Target this weekend and they had a Neon system, a few grey ones, and a bunch of Mario bundles w/ the red Joy-Cons.

I think they're doing better than usual.

#1591 6 years ago

I went to several stores this weekend and everyone had plenty of switches in stock (maybe they did an influx of supply for the mario release)

still havent seen the restock of the snes classic like they said would happen

#1592 6 years ago

To be honest, I just assumed that's what they were doing. A couple weeks ago, I walked into my local Gamestop, and you could only buy the switch in bundles with Joy Con grips, dumb wheel attachments, and a carrying case--all for the low price of what you'd pay for all that stuff separately. No discount. They usually only do that kinda thing when there is a low supply.

Maybe supply has increased since then? Either way, good to see them being more available.

#1593 6 years ago

been lots of consoles in my area

pro controllers are harder to find though

#1594 6 years ago

LA Noire has been re-released for the PS4, Xbox One, and Switch with 4K support for all but the latter. I've heard it's a good game, but never played it. This looks like a good time to pick it up.

#1595 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

LA Noire has been re-released for the PS4, Xbox One, and Switch with 4K support for all but the latter. I've heard it's a good game, but never played it. This looks like a good time to pick it up.

Is L.A. Noire considered "retro" now?

#1596 6 years ago

Hahaha, that looks to be so! This generation of gaming systems has seem more re-releases than any other previous generation that I can think of. I guess that's a good thing? I'd personally rather see devs spend time on brand new games, but beggars can't be choosers. I mean, I never really complained about the resolution of games in the past, which is really all these new consoles improve on. I wish they'd focus on framerate more than pushing for high resolutions though.

#1597 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Hahaha, that looks to be so! This generation of gaming systems has seem more re-releases than any other previous generation that I can think of. I guess that's a good thing? I'd personally rather see devs spend time on brand new games, but beggars can't be choosers. I mean, I never really complained about the resolution of games in the past, which is really all these new consoles improve on. I wish they'd focus on framerate more than pushing for high resolutions though.

I do think resolution and texture improvements can really benefit great early polygon games that just look dated as F now. I don't think early polygon games hold up the way 240p sprite games do. I loved Zelda Windwaker & Twilight Princess HD remakes...I'd be all for Gamecube & Wii era games re-released in HD.

L.A. Noire was already a PS3 era game @ 1080p ....it doesn't look that different now, IMO.

#1598 6 years ago

I agree with you, but to a certain extent. Like, Smash Brothers for the N64 still plays brilliantly today, even if the game looks like butt cheeks, whereas games like Goldeneye, and OoT's framerates can feel so bad, they're almost unplayable. I think the early 8/16 bit games hold up well because they have smooth framerates, locked to the refresh rate of a standard television--unless there's too many sprites on screen.

The original L.A. Noire, to my knowledge, wasn't *native* 1080p, but rather upscaled from something like 720p (or something possibly lower). I don't think the PS3 and 360 had enough power to fully render complex games at those resolutions.

#1599 6 years ago

I’m hanging with retro collecting royalty this week. Tim Atwood. If you have some time and fresh popcorn google him. He’s currently crushing me in Tetris.

#1600 6 years ago

THE timmy atwood? sealed nintendo video game legend?? haha..

i loved the videos that pat the nes punk posted re tim and all that drama over on atariage or was it nintendoage?

Quoted from MinusWorlds:

I’m hanging with retro collecting royalty this week. Tim Atwood. If you have some time and fresh popcorn google him. He’s currently crushing me in Tetris.

There are 3,073 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 62.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nes-classic-edition-unobtainium/page/32?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.