DSC_4700 (resized).JPG
DSC_4699 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240405_080331 (resized).jpg
_20240411_210104 (resized).JPG
DSC_4645 (resized).JPG
DSC_4642 (resized).JPG
DSC_4626 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
There are 3,073 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 62.
#1101 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

What were the mechanical faults of the original Xbox?
I saw one for sale the other day and contemplated buying it. It was a little high so I asked to see it play. It started up no problem but I tried two separate clean disks and got a disk read error on both. I decided to pass.
The RROD was for X360 right?

xbox - HDD failure and optical drive failure. You can softmod or chip it and play all stuff off hdd, however you need the key from the dvdrom drive...it is documented well on the xbox forums.

x360 - rrod is from gpu/ram solder balls. horrible airflow etc. not worth messing with since they had a new gen x360

#1102 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I was told by an employee at Game Stop that Nintendo is no longer making the NES Classic and will be launching the original NES system in fall. Is this info correct?

Incorrect. They are still making/shipping the NESC. I don't even know why on earth they would redo the original? They may not even be able to make the chips..... Gamestop blows my mind on the shit they tell me and everyone else. F them.

#1103 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Incorrect. They are still making/shipping the NESC.

Huh, how about that. Google says you're right. There were widespread reports from credible sources a while back that it was done.

#1104 7 years ago

There have been a handful of random game store employees that have said this. I do not get where this comes from. It is like they just don't want to deal with it anymore. However....stock keeps coming it is just super low. Similar ish to the switch.

#1105 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Incorrect. They are still making/shipping the NESC. I don't even know why on earth they would redo the original? They may not even be able to make the chips..... Gamestop blows my mind on the shit they tell me and everyone else. F them.

They could make the original but with an updated board. Sega licenses the Genesis out for companies to remake it and use old cartridges. A lot of those remakes come preloaded with games too.

Being able to use the old cartridges on a HDTV would make the NESC a lot more attractive.

#1106 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

xbox - HDD failure and optical drive failure. You can softmod or chip it and play all stuff off hdd, however you need the key from the dvdrom drive...it is documented well on the xbox forums.
x360 - rrod is from gpu/ram solder balls. horrible airflow etc. not worth messing with since they had a new gen x360

Thanks for the info. I never owned an original Xbox so I would like to try one someday. There are some cool games for it.

#1107 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

They could make the original but with an updated board. Sega licenses the Genesis out for companies to remake it and use old cartridges. A lot of those remakes come preloaded with games too.
Being able to use the old cartridges on a HDTV would make the NESC a lot more attractive.

I fully agree a remake with a cartridge slot would be great. However unless you have the original chip set, it's emulating the game cart. Which people love to complain about. Like the retron5 emulates the games on the carts.

The Genesis one you mention is a Braizilian outfit that's done them before. I think they did the gen 3. However if you see the current version you can buy in stores it's a pile of shit.

#1109 7 years ago

that's a good question. the biggest problem with the internet is that things tend to get blown out of proportion quickly due to the speed that we have access to the information. from what I've seen and read, this warping has affected less than 10 people that have post different, unique photos. not to say that there isn't an issue, but given the tear-down images from i-fixit, it seems rather unlikely that all of these [solid] components contained inside of the unit would be susceptible to warping or bending

the display almost extends the entire length of the main portion of the system (minus the joy-cons), so it seems very odd that it would be able to flex or bend.

the strangest news regarding this is that one person acknowledged this same issue and he had never docked his system. it makes you wonder if it may be an issue with the frame surrounding the display itself on a select few number of systems and that they were warped from the start

#1110 7 years ago

I like how the retro gaming thread turned more or less into an "all things Nintendo thread."

Not that it's a bad thing!

Anyway, I've been playing Breath of the Wild on and off for about a month now on my Wii U, and I'm almost to the point where I'd rather abandon that version and just pick up the switch version.

The frame rates in villages and certain forests are just WAY too distracting. Even with the new patch. Anyone else feel that way?

#1111 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

the strangest news regarding this is that one person acknowledged this same issue and he had never docked his system. it makes you wonder if it may be an issue with the frame surrounding the display itself on a select few number of systems and that they were warped from the start

Yeah I have my suspicions about it really being heat related. I remember when all the big smartphones started coming out and people were bending them in their pockets and backpacks.

#1112 7 years ago

The switch runs pretty cool and has an over sized gear sink too. I know it will get warm pushing graphics but so do my laptops

#1113 7 years ago

Finally was able to order switch, GameStop had some. Still, ridiculous how hard it is to get one

#1114 7 years ago

Late to the XBox party. Just bought this on Groupon. I have no idea what games to get.

IMG_7202 (resized).PNGIMG_7202 (resized).PNG

#1115 7 years ago

I'm waiting to see what MS does with project Scorpio before I upgrade from my 360. Glad I waited from the initial launch of PS4 as I ended up with a beefier PRO model. It's good to have patience.

#1116 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Late to the XBox party. Just bought this on Groupon. I have no idea what games to get.

I bought one of the $250 systems around Christmas. I bought Forza 5 and Forza Horizon 2. It came with Gears of War 4, but it kinda sucks. The Forza's are fun, but I haven't had really any desire to play it much. But I was the same way. I've got the system, now what? Since most games are on both PS4, and Xbone, I still prefer the PS4. I think the too overly complicated menu system of the Xbone kills it for me.

#1117 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I bought one of the $250 systems around Christmas. I bought Forza 5 and Forza Horizon 2. It came with Gears of War 4, but it kinda sucks. The Forza's are fun, but I haven't had really any desire to play it much. But I was the same way. I've got the system, now what? Since most games are on both PS4, and Xbone, I still prefer the PS4. I think the too overly complicated menu system of the Xbone kills it for me.

Glad I'm not the only one confused and annoyed by their menu.

I have halo, gears of war and destiny for x1. Yet only play my hydro thunder hurricane on it

#1118 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

They did the same thing to the 360. Used to be nice and slick and easy to tell where you were at and needed to go. Then halfway through it's lifespan, they re-designed it, and made it very confusing. I stopped using my 360 pretty much as soon as that happened.

Look up "Xbox 360 Blade Menu" if you didn't have a system during that time.

#1119 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I have halo, gears of war and destiny for x1. Yet only play my hydro thunder hurricane on it

It took me so long last night to figure out how to play a blu ray on my neighbors xbox.

#1120 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Don't forget, it's downward compatible with a bunch of 360 games. If you haven't already, Bioshock (1,2, and Infinite) are masterpiece games. You can get the remastered collection, but from what I hear, it runs poorly compared to the 360 port.

#1121 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Don't forget, it's downward compatible with a bunch of 360 games. If you haven't already, Bioshock (1,2, and Infinite) are masterpiece games. You can get the remastered collection, but from what I hear, it runs poorly compared to the 360 port.

I had to laugh at the Red Dead Redemption repackage. While looking for something to buy for my One, I saw they had RDR in XboxONe packaging. But upon closer look, it was the 360 version of the game, at full retail price of $50. But yet, you could get the "Best of" version or whatever they call their discount games for the 360, for $20 new.

#1122 7 years ago

Lame. You have to be careful about those "complete collections" for the 360 if playing on an Xbox One.

I installed a complete collection of Bioshock Infinite, but it only downloaded the base game from the market without the included DLC. It would have made me pay for that.

#1123 7 years ago

I finally got a Switch system last week at GameStop. I just happened to be walking by and I saw the sign on the door saying they were in stock. Still crazy that there aren't enough being shipped out.

#1124 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

It took me so long last night to figure out how to play a blu ray on my neighbors xbox.

hahah. Have to download a separate app...it's so stupid. I think I've played one on mine.

#1125 7 years ago
Quoted from Dutchman2009:

Still crazy that there aren't enough being shipped out.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Took just over 2 years before you could walk into any store at any time to see a Wii sitting on the shelf. It's only been 2 months for the Switch. And heck, the NES Classic still isn't fully available either.

I'd say for as popular as the Switch seems to be, it'll be at least next year before Nintendo fully ramps up production.

#1126 7 years ago

nintendo direct is 4/12 for splatoon 2 and ARMS info!

#1127 7 years ago

I hate all the firmware shit with these modern consoles! Makes you wonder if they will even work in 15 years

#1128 7 years ago
Quoted from Bronty:

I hate all the firmware shit with these modern consoles! Makes you wonder if they will even work in 15 years

sony was notorious for forcing you to perform a firmware update in order to play games (not sure if they still are as I sold my ps4). at least from what I've see with the switch so far is that it informs you that an update is available but doesn't stop you to playing you current game library

#1129 7 years ago

PS4 still gets regular updates that are required to play or do anything online at all, yes.

Still can't find a Switch in Dallas, which might be partially limited by the fact that I'm only willing to purchase from Best Buy on interest-free financing.

Can't belive they are charging 40 bucks a pop for those stupid little Joy-Cons. What...the...hell. It's got half the buttons and half the analog sticks as any other controller, but you're charging the same price for it. Die in a fire, Ninten-HELL-NO.

#1130 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

PS4 still gets regular updates that are required to play or do anything online at all, yes.

yeah I was referring to ps stuff. I don't have a ps4 but I have 3 and I found it a huge turn off because I'm only turning it on once in a while.

I don't want to be forced to connect, I don't want to have sit thru huge updates. I just want to play my fucking games.

And when they stop supporting these systems, will they just turn into bricks without those forced updates?

Bah. NES and SNES forever.

#1131 7 years ago
Quoted from Bronty:

yeah I was referring to ps stuff. I don't have a ps4 but I have 3 and I found it a huge turn off because I'm only turning it on once in a while.
I don't want to be forced to connect, I don't want to have sit thru huge updates. I just want to play my fucking games.
And when they stop supporting these systems, will they just turn into bricks without those forced updates?
Bah. NES and SNES forever.

I have a PS4, and I'm pretty happy about the update cycles and how they go. If you leave your PS4 in rest mode, it will automatically download and apply things while you aren't using it, so that it's ready next time you play.

An inherent risk to any online system is that if the online parts go away, you are left with something less than you had.

There are really two models for online play. Either the company that produced the game handles multiplayer, or a large service does (xbox live, psn, etc..). There are pros and cons to both, but I think the large service model is the better path forward. More subscribers and money grouped together. If a small game company is shouldering the burden of 1,000 people still playing their game 10 years later, that kinda sucks.

The PS2 is an example where individual companies managed the online portions of their games. As of last year, I believe all of the PS2 game servers have been shut down, so any games with online components are dead or crippled.

The positive side to updates coming out all the time is the ability to keep these older consoles alive and talking to the online services. Both the PS3 and Xbox 360 are great examples of that.

When is the last time you downloaded new levels for a SNES game?

#1132 7 years ago

I hear you, fair point, but I personally want to have these consoles put away when I am not using them.. which means I don't want them connected 24/7... which pretty much means they are bricks to me because I'm not sitting thru updates.

#1133 7 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

When is the last time you downloaded new levels for a SNES game?

When is the last time a SNES game felt so incomplete that it needed additional levels?

#1134 7 years ago

My 4 year old loves Mario and Sonic. Raspberry Pi 3 running RetroPie

IMG_0964 (resized).JPGIMG_0964 (resized).JPG

IMG_0968 (resized).JPGIMG_0968 (resized).JPG

#1135 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

When is the last time a SNES game felt so incomplete that it needed additional levels?

that is because 90% couldn't get past like level 2 or 4 hahahha. Games were so hard back then.

#1136 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Games were so hard back then.

They had to be! People were paying $60 on games back then, and you had to give them something good for their money. To make a game "longer" you either had to put more stuff in it, and sacrifice precious cartridge memory, or you could just make the game 10 times harder. Most developers went with "harder." Kept development and hardware costs down.

#1137 7 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

My 4 year old loves Mario and Sonic. Raspberry Pi 3 running RetroPie

I picked one up recently and have been playing it everyday. It's awesome to have every nes, snes, n64, genesis, master system, neo geo, turbographix 16, coleco, and atari games as well as 1000s of arcade games on mame and alpha. All this on 1 tiny computer that plugs directly into my hdtv.

Been playing lots of nes games that I've never played. Lil Samson, bubble bobble 2, chip and dale 2, dragon warrior 4, etc,,,
Wrestlefest, sf vs marvel, predator vs aliens and aliens on mame and alpha.
And tons of the metal slugs!

#1138 7 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Been playing lots of nes games that I've never played. Lil Samson, bubble bobble 2, chip and dale 2, dragon warrior 4, etc,,,
Wrestlefest, sf vs marvel, predator vs aliens and aliens on mame and alpha.
And tons of the metal slugs!

That was my favorite part too. Being able to play the games that I had always wanted, but never got to play. And also discovering ones that I never knew I should have gotten.

Makes me wonder if 20 years from now, we'll be building similar systems with all the PS4 and Xbone games.

#1139 7 years ago

I'm amazed how barren Wal-Mart console selection is right now. One I went to only had XBone. Another had XBone and PS4 and one 3DSXL.

And why don't stores have playable displays anymore? Best Buy still does I think. As a kid, that was a surefire way to get me to want your console. I remember playing Sonic on Genesis at Service Merchandise and ended up getting it for Christmas. Game Gear was the same way.

#1140 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

And why don't stores have playable displays anymore? Best Buy still does I think. As a kid, that was a surefire way to get me to want your console. I remember playing Sonic on Genesis at Service Merchandise and ended up getting it for Christmas. Game Gear was the same way.

Target still does I think.

I've never owned an SNES, but have spent hours playing it at Walmart. The same first levels of DK County, Starfox, Mario, some Hockey game, and a few others.

#1141 7 years ago

I'd like a ps2, xbox, and gamecube complete collection emulators.

#1142 7 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I'd like a ps2, xbox, and gamecube complete collection emulators.

That's gonna take some time to accumulate. Is there even an Xbox emulator? I haven't kept up with the scene.

#1143 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Is there even an Xbox emulator

Years ago, there was, but it was only capable of playing Halo--poorly. From what I understand, even now, there isn't a complete emulator.

I'm honestly surprised, since of all the early consoles, the Xbox is the closest thing to a PC you can get.

#1144 7 years ago

Anyone at MGC check out the homebrew beanbag game that used the OG power pad? I think it was called Tailgate Party. In terms of video games I thought that was one of the more clever "new" ideas.

#1145 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Anyone at MGC check out the homebrew beanbag game that used the OG power pad? I think it was called Tailgate Party. In terms of video games I thought that was one of the more clever "new" ideas.

shoot! no I didn't Wish I had!

#1146 7 years ago

It was down the hall in the NintendoAge room. While the pad was cool it's almost begging for a hack to make the sensor more reliable. I would almost want to customize a board with optos, but at that point perhaps you'd be better off starting over. I could also see adding a "flash" mode similar to what they have in bowlers.

#1147 7 years ago

There was one gray-con Switch today at Target in the display case.....I'm waiting to get mine off Amazon since I have over half the price of it in GCs credit but I'm not paying scalpers prices. Plus I want the colored version....maybe the Nintendo direct today will announce a nice bundle with one of the newer games coming out that I can grab.

#1148 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

There was one gray-con Switch today at Target in the display case.....I'm waiting to get mine off Amazon since I have over half the price of it in GCs credit but I'm not paying scalpers prices. Plus I want the colored version....maybe the Nintendo direct today will announce a nice bundle with one of the newer games coming out that I can grab.

rumor is a mario kart bundle is a coming. there is a nintendo direct today so we may find out soon

#1149 7 years ago

All this talk about new systems and here I am waiting for a PC Engine Duo and an Intellivision to arrive.

#1150 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

rumor is a mario kart bundle is a coming. there is a nintendo direct today so we may find out soon

Yeah I'm gonna jump on that as I never bought into mario cart or splatoon for my WiiU.....perfect time to since they will basically be upgraded games from the WiiU versions. Hopefully the rumor becomes reality.

There are 3,073 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 62.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nes-classic-edition-unobtainium/page/23?hl=bronty and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.