Screenshot_20231214-161932 (resized).png
Screenshot_20231214-155422 (resized).png
Screenshot_20231214-155413 (resized).png
_20231105_171238 (resized).JPG
DSC_4233 (resized).JPG
DSC_4237 (resized).JPG
Jr9L1tY (resized).png
drvgs (resized).png

There are 3,043 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 61.
#651 7 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Some food for thought

I think their second idea is the correct one: people are more critical now than they were in past decades, the rise of the internet has made everyone a critic.

In years past I used to frequent a Dragon Age message board, you would have thought the people participating there hated the game and everything associated with it...the posters there made Pinsiders look like constant rainbows and ice cream.

#652 7 years ago

Pre orders tomorrow for my local game stop is 10 am, $50 down, limited number available. I work at 8 am so I am boned. Oh well. Good luck!

#653 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Pre orders tomorrow for my local game stop is 10 am, $50 down, limited number available. I work at 8 am so I am boned. Oh well. Good luck!

Switch? I'm hoping some pre-orders go live tonite after the presentation. NINTENDO!!! TAKE MY MONEY!!!

#654 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

For me, as long as it's the original hardware, I'm good. The system doesn't know if the cart is an Everdrive, original, or bootleg. A rom is a rom to the system. Since collectors are going nuts and driving up prices, Everdrive is the way to go if you just wanna play all the old games and save money & space. I sold all my old carts and got Everdrives for my consoles.

yeah it all depends if you are a player or a collector (or both I guess). If all you want to do is play them, the modern options are great.

#655 7 years ago
Quoted from Bronty:

yeah it all depends if you are a player or a collector (or both I guess). If all you want to do is play them, the modern options are great.

Yeah, I don't get collectors when Everdrives are the ultimate way to play on original hardware. But hey, they willingly threw about $10k at me for my old carts so I shouldn't complain. I see a lot of people buying bootleg reproductions just to have more carts on their shelf. I don't understand that AT ALL. All the money they're spending to collect fake carts...just get one Everdrive.

#656 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

For me, as long as it's the original hardware, I'm good. The system doesn't know if the cart is an Everdrive, original, or bootleg. A rom is a rom to the system. Since collectors are going nuts and driving up prices, Everdrive is the way to go if you just wanna play all the old games and save money & space. I sold all my old carts and got Everdrives for my consoles.

I'm with you, except I like to have the original core games, or ones I played and remember. The rest can be on everdrive.

#657 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Get an Everdrive. Then you'll have all those games. Unobtanium no longer!

i will be pulling the trigger on these for sure. All thanks to this thread.

#658 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I see a lot of people buying bootleg reproductions just to have more carts on their shelf. I don't understand that AT ALL. All the money they're spending to collect fake carts...just get one Everdrive.

I don't disagree with you but you gotta admit a bunch of carts (especially in boxes) does look pretty sweet in a game room.

#659 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, I don't get collectors when Everdrives are the ultimate way to play on original hardware. But hey, they willingly threw about $10k at me for my old carts so I shouldn't complain. I see a lot of people buying bootleg reproductions just to have more carts on their shelf. I don't understand that AT ALL. All the money they're spending to collect fake carts...just get one Everdrive.

Well you probably wouldn't get me either as I collect either factory sealed, or the artists original painting to make the box. The collector side of me loves the genuine article and the rarer or better the item, the better the condition, etc, the better. The player side of me though doesn't give two shits and is super happy with the modern options. So I have shit I can't play (to collect) and shit I can't collect (to play).

To me it's kinda weird to collect loose carts at all, what's the point - it's not a challenge as a collectible, and there are better or at least cheaper options for playing, but I know lots of people love their loose carts so that's fine and good for them.

I totally hear you on not paying for bootlegs and reproductions (da fuq?) but some people like that too and we all come from different perspectives

#660 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i will be pulling the trigger on these for sure. All thanks to this thread.

Cool good luck and tell us how you like it!

#661 7 years ago

for me, having the box and all that isn't that big of a deal. I had all that stuff when I was younger when it was new. Now you just want to play the games every now and then. The rest just takes up to much space. Valuable pin space.

#662 7 years ago

i hear you, but it's a different kind of real estate - you need big blocks of space for pins.. gaming stuff can slide into closets shelves, any little nook, cranny, or spot that a pin would never fit into. I guess I'm suggesting you can have space for both if it's what you want. You probably just don't dig having the paper that much, and I can understand that, it's not for everyone.

#663 7 years ago
Quoted from Bronty:

i hear you, but it's a different kind of real estate - you need big blocks of space for pins.. gaming stuff can slide into closets shelves, any little nook, cranny, or spot that a pin would never fit into. I guess I'm suggesting you can have space for both if it's what you want. You probably just don't dig having the paper that much, and I can understand that, it's not for everyone.

that's true. Same can be said for board games. Yet, I have ran out of room for them as well that I need to sell a bunch of them.

#664 7 years ago

Hmm good point. I guess clearing out the wife's shoe closet is an option

#665 7 years ago

$299.

#666 7 years ago

Some first party games....MARIO is getting back to a 3D world, xenoblade, Arms....looks interesting. It's kind of gimmicky.....a lot of "switch" ing. Multiplayer is a huge focus.....finally getting a major sports game in FIFA. The big N finally going to put forth a paid online service. NO REGION LOCKING

Wait and see. Wait and see. Wait and see.

Oh yeah. ZELDA. There's that.

#667 7 years ago

No region lock is HUGE, now we can play those creepy japanese games with school girls

splatoon 2 looks hugely updated
mario is now back to open ish world still I hear a rumor of mario sunshine HD coming
zelda is a launch title!!!! WOOT
the "gimmicks" of switch are soooooo much more realistic and better off then the ones of the wii. the motion controls, remotes etc. The switch is going to be a blockbuster for nintendo, however the launch list is still not fully released.... I'm waiting on excite truck 2. I'm in for one for sure. In the meantime I'm collecting my GCN and n64 stuff

#668 7 years ago
Quoted from Bronty:

Well you probably wouldn't get me either as I collect either factory sealed, or the artists original painting to make the box. The collector side of me loves the genuine article and the rarer or better the item, the better the condition, etc, the better. The player side of me though doesn't give two shits and is super happy with the modern options. So I have shit I can't play (to collect) and shit I can't collect (to play).
To me it's kinda weird to collect loose carts at all, what's the point - it's not a challenge as a collectible, and there are better or at least cheaper options for playing, but I know lots of people love their loose carts so that's fine and good for them.
I totally hear you on not paying for bootlegs and reproductions (da fuq?) but some people like that too and we all come from different perspectives

I love looking at the boxes and manuals. Nes manuals were especially valuable because back then they included how to play the game. Games like Robocop with some obscure controls only referenced in the manual are pretty tough to finish without it.

I know your bootlegs comment may not have been referring to my Star Fox 2 but I do love that cart. If I loved a Japan only game enough, I might pay for translated cart.

#669 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I love looking at the boxes and manuals. Nes manuals were especially valuable because back then they included how to play the game. Games like Robocop with some obscure controls only referenced in the manual are pretty tough to finish without it.
I know your bootlegs comment may not have been referring to my Star Fox 2 but I do love that cart. If I loved a Japan only game enough, I might pay for translated cart.

Or star tropics where if you didn't have the manual you couldn't beat an area without the secret code pre Internet.

#670 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

It was just in reference to a comment made above by another poster, not aimed at you or anyone at all. Just that The repros aren't for me but that's okay the stuff I like may not be for you and we all collect the stuff we like right? No disrespect intended.

#671 7 years ago

I got a Switch Pre-Order! WOO! Wal-Mart sold out in 5 minutes. Got mine from Best Buy. Selling out quick but it's store-pick-up specific...so try different stores till you get one!

#672 7 years ago

I pre-ordered the neon version through best buy. I'll see how this goes this March. *Fingers crossed*

I am very excited about the new Mario game.

#673 7 years ago
Quoted from E_Gpinball:

I pre-ordered the neon version through best buy. I'll see how this goes this March. *Fingers crossed*
I am very excited about the new Mario game.

Yeah I'm kinda bummed Mario's not till Xmas time....but this Zelda looks so huge, I can probably play that till Fall!

#674 7 years ago

the presentation was about what I expected it to be, but it was quite obvious that many of the developers haven't had enough time to work with the dev kits seeing as some of the "guest speakers" did not have anything to show (let alone specific title names for games in development

zelda looks great and so do some of the throw-back titles (bomberman r and street fighter). kind of disappointed that mario odyssey isn't a launch time (does this mark the 1st or 2nd time that nintendo didn't have a mario title at launch?) but it did look great

the enhanced rumble features look like they could really open up some very cool immersive elements in games (and work very well in conjunction with some time of AR/VR environment in the near future

I wonder if nintendo is planning on selling the neon colored (or other colored) joy-cons separately?

ps
apparently, amazon.com had systems available approx. 3:30am EST (according to an email that I received), but were gone when I woke up at 5:30am for work

pps
bestbuy.com still had systems available to ship (at 6:00am EST), but no stores (within 250 miles) for in-store pick-up were left

ppps
meijer.com (a chain like fred meyer) and toysrus.com still have do not have any information available on line

target.com still appears to have both systems (ones with the gray joy-cons, ones with the neon red/blue joy-cons) available

#675 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

the presentation was about what I expected it to be, but it was quite obvious that many of the developers haven't had enough time to work with the dev kits seeing as some of the "guest speakers" did not have anything to show (let alone specific title names for games in development
zelda looks great and so do some of the throw-back titles (bomberman r and street fighter). kind of disappointed that mario odyssey isn't a launch time (does this mark the 1st or 2nd time that nintendo didn't have a mario title at launch?) but it did look great
the enhanced rumble features look like they could really open up some very cool immersive elements in games (and work very well in conjunction with some time of AR/VR environment in the near future
I wonder if nintendo is planning on selling the neon colored (or other colored) joy-cons separately?
ps
apparently, amazon.com had systems available approx. 3:30am EST (according to an email that I received), but were gone when I woke up at 5:30am for work
pps
bestbuy.com still had systems available to ship (at 6:00am EST), but no stores (within 250 miles) for in-store pick-up were left

Yes you can buy joycon's separately. THey look to be $79 for a set.
Hey mario not at launch I kind of expected, zelda at launch hahahha I thought they were pushing that back, so that was a surprise
There will probably be a decent set of virtual console games to buy at launch as well. But i'm digging the new "cards" for games. Love physical media and they are tiny.

#676 7 years ago

Went to Target yesterday and saw they already have an endcap already boxed off waiting for the Switch.

When the first teaser came out at the end of last year, I would was sworn we wouldn't see it for another year and a half.

#677 7 years ago

MK8 on switch has BATTLE MODE!!!!! WHAT?!?!

#678 7 years ago

I just pre-ordered from Target. Ships like the 5th-8th which is totally fine. I'd rather not wait inline like nesc and still not get one.

#679 7 years ago

I see Gamestop is still doing the "We're going to make you buy a bunch of crap," pre-order system.

http://www.gamestop.com/switch

#680 7 years ago

Zelda does look phenomal....that should keep most mario fans busy until the holidays roll around. Did anybody get excited about that ARMS game they were working on inhouse?! It looked like a lot of fun for a VS. game.....not really something I'd like to play against the computer. The ability to take it anywhere and have a VS. game on the go is going to create some good rivalries. They showed a quick bomberman teaser....ultimate party game!

All of the BIG N's past systems rolled into one.

#681 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Zelda does look phenomal....that should keep most mario fans busy until the holidays roll around. Did anybody get excited about that ARMS game they were working on inhouse?! It looked like a lot of fun for a VS. game.....not really something I'd like to play against the computer. The ability to take it anywhere and have a VS. game on the go is going to create some good rivalries. They showed a quick bomberman teaser....ultimate party game!
All of the BIG N's past systems rolled into one.

yeah, arms is going to be fun

mk8 deluxe is also a launch I think, and has tons more than the wiiu version.

#682 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Collectors are not buying reproductions. Those that JUST want to play THAT one game are buying them. It's cheaper than the original. Chrono Trigger original vs. $20 reproduction plays the same on an original console. You can't buy an Everdrive setup for $20.

A lot of people also group bootleg reproductions, home-brews, and prototypes all into the same category.

So it's just not as simple as you put it. First, roms are not always available to download. Perfect examples would be for homebrews, foreign releases, and prototype games.

Is a homebrew release a bootleg? Depends really... There are obviously some games that just can't easily be played on the Everdrive. Are they worth buying the actual cart? I say yes if it supports the DIY home-brewer. There are ALSO games with extra chips and RAM in them that will not run well or will not run at all. How would you play those games?

Another case is extra peripherals... Light gun games on an everdrive? You would need a CRT to play any classic light gun game, not just an Everdrive. Once you are owning a vintage CRT, I would just rather have the original console and games along with it. Anyone play Lethel Enforcers or Mad Dog lately?

Another aspect that I know I don't have to point out is that people want to play original carts on original systems.

There are other habits that outsiders will never understand from the perspective of a hardcore game collector.
One day I decided that I was going to collect Ti-99 4a games. No reason other than no one appreciated some very talented programers that worked for TI back in the day.

Another day, I decided I was going to collect every single Activision game for EVERY single system ever made because I really like their packaging and dedication for featuring the programmer in the retail packaging. When will THAT ever happen again now that gaming is a billion $ industry?

I believe that people will realize in the next few years that the historic cartridges and software that started the industry in the 70's is important. Would the Madden EAsports juggernaut exist if it was not for those years? Remember Jordan vs. Bird or Desert Strike? Yeah, EA was very small back then, comparatively speaking.

Physical software has just about evaporated altogether, right before our eyes. The classic foundations like Playstation 1, NES and the like will be collected because those companies still exist today and are relevant. Why does Smash Bros. Melee still sell for close to $100 on Gamecube? Because it is considered one of the best games that Nintendo ever made.

Has nothing to do with collecting it for the sake of collecting. I refuse to own any modern system that requires you to be connected to the internet to use the console. That is where I drew my line in the sand and I am not alone.

This really is all just personal preference. Kind of like using LEDs or keeping with incandescent bulbs. When LED bulbs first came out, they were BAD. When emulators first came out, they were BAD. Time moves on an and improvement were made, where necesary.

#683 7 years ago

Just picked up a grey one on target.com if anybody is still looking.

#684 7 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Just picked up a grey one on target.com if anybody is still looking.

me too! hooray! i tried earlier and everything online said sold out. was hoping for a 249.99 price point but eff it, im a zelda freak.

#685 7 years ago

It's tempting to pre-order, but I just can't get enthused by the games. Love the system and what it can do, but I really don't want to only play Mario and Zelda on it. I know Nintendo is in it's own market, and by having all the same games that the Xbox and PS have, wouldn't do it any good. But this is the kind of system I'd love to be able to play GTA or Battlefield on.

I bought a New 3Ds last year because of nostalgia, but at that time, I wished they didn't charge $5 for every single retro game. Just wished they'd at least make bundles and volumes.

#686 7 years ago

I woke up this morning to see that online preorders went up last night and that zelda had collectors editions announced. Managed to grab a grey console from target and got the special edition zelda from gamestop. I was hoping to be able to get a master edition, but they appear to be all sold out already Oh well, much excite for March 3rd.

#687 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballBeerGuy:

Managed to grab a grey console from target and got the special edition zelda from gamestop. I was hoping to be able to get a master edition, but they appear to be all sold out already

according to one of the gamestop managers that I know, the master editions haven't been put into their system yet. it will retail for 129.99usd and the only thing that it includes that the special edition does not is the master sword statue

#688 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

according to one of the gamestop managers that I know, the master editions haven't been put into their system yet. it will retail for 129.99usd and the only thing that it includes that the special edition does not is the master sword statue

it was on the website to "pre-order" this morning but whenever i went to check out it would delete it from my cart. now the pre-order tab has been removed and it says not available. i opted to order the special edition and if the master comes back up i will cancel the special and order the master. sucks how much of this shit gets bought up by scalpers that dont give a rip about anything but making a quick buck.

#689 7 years ago

best buy master edition just went live, just got one , gogogogogtogog

#690 7 years ago

best buy master edition just went live, just got one , gogogogogtogog

Congrats! Stupid meeting at work made me miss this. Oh well, I am still happy to get the special edition. I really like the carrying case.

#692 7 years ago

Well, I decided to order a Switch. Target sold out. Bestbuy sold out. Walmart sold out.

I decided not to buy a Switch.

#693 7 years ago

Speaks volumes that we've already dumped Switch into the Vintage Gaming Club.

#694 7 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Speaks volumes that we've already dumped Switch into the Vintage Gaming Club.

meh, its like minded console collectors/players talking about the latest news in the gaming world.

Quoted from PinballBeerGuy:

Congrats! Stupid meeting at work made me miss this. Oh well, I am still happy to get the special edition. I really like the carrying case.

yeah, i just hope best buy doesnt screw me and cancel my preorder cause they over sold it or something, that has happened with them in the past.

#695 7 years ago

Just got from from Gamestop. They have the system by itself now.

Stupid Hype. Oh well. I bought a WiiU last year, and have only played it like 5 hours. Got it because of Mario maker. Figured I'll dump off the WiiU and replace it with the switch.

#696 7 years ago

yeah, i just hope best buy doesnt screw me and cancel my preorder cause they over sold it or something, that has happened with them in the past.

I hate pre-ordering special editions from Bestbuy. Been screwed over twice. The one I remember though, is I went up to customer service to pick up, and the lady brought me the regular version. I said, no, that's not the one. She said, it's X though. Yes, it is, but look at the price, what I ordered is more than that. Then she called over the manager who did and said the EXACT same thing that she did. "But this is X though." Again, yes, but look at the price, mine is the special edition. So the manager went over to the shelf, looked, and then came back and said, "We had a midnight launch last night. We must have sold it then. Would you like the regular version?" No, I will be getting a full refund and purchasing the regular version from someone else.

10 years ago. I'm not bitter anymore.

#697 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I hate pre-ordering special editions from Bestbuy. Been screwed over twice. The one I remember though, is I went up to customer service to pick up, and the lady brought me the regular version. I said, no, that's not the one. She said, it's X though. Yes, it is, but look at the price, what I ordered is more than that. Then she called over the manager who did and said the EXACT same thing that she did. "But this is X though." Again, yes, but look at the price, mine is the special edition. So the manager went over to the shelf, looked, and then came back and said, "We had a midnight launch last night. We must have sold it then. Would you like the regular version?" No, I will be getting a full refund and purchasing the regular version from someone else.
10 years ago. I'm not bitter anymore.

wow, yeah, I opted to have it shipped rather than in store pickup to keep it out of their hands hah. I might not get it on launch day but if I actually receive what I ordered, hooray

#698 7 years ago

wow, yeah, I opted to have it shipped rather than in store pickup to keep it out of their hands hah. I might not get it on launch day but if I actually receive what I ordered, hooray

Not sure why I did the in-store pickup. Maybe there was a shipping cost? Or maybe would have come a day later? Or actually felt like not being lazy? But after that, I've done it again. Was not a happy camper.

#699 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Stupid Hype. Oh well. I bought a WiiU last year, and have only played it like 5 hours. Got it because of Mario maker. Figured I'll dump off the WiiU and replace it with the switch.

You're missing out on a lot of great games! Splatoon, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, Rayman Legends, Shantae ....granted, most of these are gonna pop up on the Switch now, but still ...love the Wii U!

#700 7 years ago

Well I'm glad I got a Wii U still for Zelda cause I probably will just wait for the game library to fill up a bit

switch looks alright, nothing shown really made me excited. I've had all the Nintendo systems since the NES as a kid so ill have this sooner than later.

Mario in a realistic world just looked weird but I love the 3d Marios so we will see

There are 3,043 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nes-classic-edition-unobtainium/page/14?hl=e_gpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.