DSC_4700 (resized).JPG
DSC_4699 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240405_080331 (resized).jpg
_20240411_210104 (resized).JPG
DSC_4645 (resized).JPG
DSC_4642 (resized).JPG
DSC_4626 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
There are 3,073 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 62.
#551 7 years ago

When I got (well my parents bought) a subscription to Nintendo Power magazine I got a free Dragon Warrior with all the maps, etc included. I played the crap out of that game. Sure as hell better then some nfl film Football Follies vhs with your Sports Illustrated subscription

#552 7 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

nfl film Football Follies

I miss sports bloopers.

#553 7 years ago

Somehow, I got screwed out of the free Dragon Warrior. I subscribed specifically for that offer, but I never received my game. I did receive the magazines, though. To this day, I've never played the game.

#554 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Agreed. Do you remember Nobanaga's Ambition on the NES? It was phenomenal back in the day. Romance of the Three Kingdoms was a carry forward off that style of play.

Romance 1 and Nobunaga's were on NES.

Romance 2 & 3 were on SNES and Nobunaga's was ported to SNES as well. I loved all of these.

Also try Bandit Kings of Ancient China for NES.

#555 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I wonder how many hours I spent on Dragon's Lair. Just farming to level up took hour after hour. Cool game but too dependent on farming to ever be replayed today.

dragons lair or dragon warrior?

#556 7 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Romance 1 and Nobunaga's were on NES.
Romance 2 & 3 were on SNES and Nobunaga's was ported to SNES as well. I loved all of these.
Also try Bandit Kings of Ancient China for NES.

I will have to look into that Bandit Kings of Ancient China, never heard of it or played it. Have the other games you mentioned and enjoyed them all. Thanks for the tip

edit: except its like an 80 dollar game. Maybe I'll spring for it someday lol

#557 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

so I never got into the SNES until much later.

I'm younger, but I still grew up on the NES because my parents never had the money for game consoles. I think our family NES was a wedding gift to them, or something like that. Hell. We didn't even have cable. I grew up on the NES and PBS.

That being said, I completely skipped the SNES and Genesis. Only did I play them at friends' houses. I remember I got the N64 for Christmas after begging Santa. Talk about a mind blow. It came packed in with Super Mario 64, and that literally changed my life seeing games in 3D for the first time. When I got Goldeneye, I remember I would just shoot at the walls to make patterns or smily faces--especially with the paintball cheat code. I doubt many kids these days will experience that same feeling.

#558 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

I will have to look into that Bandit Kings of Ancient China, never heard of it or played it. Have the other games you mentioned and enjoyed them all. Thanks for the tip
edit: except its like an 80 dollar game. Maybe I'll spring for it someday lol

Funny. I see it at my local resale shop for way lower than that. I want to say $28 or $38. Just download an emulator real quick if it's cost prohibitive. For these types of games it isn't much different to play on the keyboard than with a real controller.

#559 7 years ago

I played the shit out of Sewer Shark on Sega CD!

#560 7 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Funny. I see it at my local resale shop for way lower than that. I want to say $28 or $38. Just download an emulator real quick if it's cost prohibitive. For these types of games it isn't much different to play on the keyboard than with a real controller.

Yeah, I get that. I probably will at some point, or spring for an everdrive cart for the games I do not own physical copies of yet.

#561 7 years ago

Yeah, I get that. I probably will at some point, or spring for an everdrive cart for the games I do not own physical copies of yet.

Or I could be confusing it with Genghis Khan which has similar cartridge art but is considerably less valuable. I will check next time I'm in that area. GK is also similar in play style.

#562 7 years ago

I know I had a Koei game on my GameBoy back in the day...

#563 7 years ago

I bought my nes in 1987 at 10 years old with my own money. I begged for 2 years to get one and realized my parents weren't going to buy me one so I got a news paper route. (Remember those?)

Bonus of having a paper route was I always had cash for arcades and to buy video games.

#564 7 years ago

Faxanadu was another NES RPG I have fond memories of. havent played it in over a decade, might need to re-visit it.

#565 7 years ago

Dragon Warrior!! I mowed the lawn for my parents and they bought me this game.....I played it and played it and played until the very end destroying everything in my path. I remember having to level up over and over again just to beat the final dragon.....repetition

I had a subscription to Nintendo power for a loooong while but ended up throwing them all away in the trash with most of my copies of EGM.....wish I still had them now.

I remembering preordering a copy of SMB3 (my fav NES game) from Toys r Us and being the first one in the neighborhood to get it. Some kids across the pond asked me to borrow it (whom I barely knew) and I said no. Of course they threatened to beat me up if I didn't haha. Nobody was getting my copy of SMB3 dammits!!!

Ahhhh the good ole days

Funny I never catered to the SEGA train until after I had my SNES for awhile. I bought my Genesis for $50 from a coworker of mine and found the joys of NHL 94 which still to this day is the greatest hockey game ever made. If you liked sports games GENS was where it was at.

#566 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

I remembering preordering a copy of SMB3 (my fav NES game) from Toys r Us and being the first one in the neighborhood to get it. Some kids across the pond asked me to borrow it (whom I barely knew) and I said no. Of course they threatened to beat me up if I didn't haha. Nobody was getting my copy of SMB3 .

I friended a kid for a week or two because he got the Japanese version on a converter months before it was released in North America. Such a trip not having a clue what we were reading.

I also remember seeing The Wizard with Fred Savage and believe they launched the game to the masses

#567 7 years ago

Did anyone have the Power Glove? Fess up!

IMG_1504 (resized).JPGIMG_1504 (resized).JPG

#568 7 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

It's so bad!

#569 7 years ago

I made this... has an original nes with an everdrive and a crt tv

Should have kept it, but it traded for JD, guess I could make another sometime

IMG_1024 (resized).JPGIMG_1024 (resized).JPG
IMG_1263 (resized).JPGIMG_1263 (resized).JPG

#570 7 years ago

I did but only worked with 2 games. Thankfully my dad was able to return it to toys r us when we realized how crappy it was.

Anyone watch/remember Captain N and the Gamemaster cartoon on Saturday mornings?

Quoted from Mudflaps:

#571 7 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

YES! And I cannot find it! I thought I knew exactly where it was in my parents house, but it wasn't there. Was wanting to put it on my display shelf. Considered ordering one from ebay, but decided not to, because it wasn't "mine."

But yes. So terrible.

#572 7 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Anyone watch/remember Captain N and the Gamemaster cartoon on Saturday mornings?

Easily one of my favorite cartoons back in the day. They had phenomenal music for cartoons (white wedding, danger zone, etc).

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#573 7 years ago

Faxanadu was another NES RPG I have fond memories of. havent played it in over a decade, might need to re-visit it.

Don't forget your mantra!

#574 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

I remembering preordering a copy of SMB3 (my fav NES game) from Toys r Us and being the first one in the neighborhood to get it. Some kids across the pond asked me to borrow it (whom I barely knew) and I said no. Of course they threatened to beat me up if I didn't haha. Nobody was getting my copy of SMB3 dammits!!!

My local video rental store somehow got a copy of SMB3 to resell probably 4 months before anyone else had it in town. $69.99 at that time was no small price but mom came through That was definitely awesome getting it so long before the general public.

I think I had dropped about $10 into the Playchoice 10 at Pizza Hut before that because it too had a SMB3 on location.

#575 7 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I had a Power Pad. Does that count?

#576 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Easily one of my favorite cartoons back in the day. They had phenomenal music for cartoons (white wedding, danger zone, etc).

I remember the king hippo/punchout baddie but can't remember what game the eggplant is from? N's controller fanny pack is awesome!

#577 7 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I remember the king hippo/punchout baddie but can't remember what game the eggplant is from? N's controller fanny pack is awesome!

Kid Icarus. He would turn you into an eggplant.

#578 7 years ago

and it sucked too, because all you could do was jump. No weapons of any kind. I forgot how you got out of it. if it was time based or what.

#579 7 years ago

Liberty or Death was a sweet Koei game on SNES. Anyone remember that one? Also North v South was really awesome on nes as a 2 player game. The train robbing missions were intense, as well as trying to take over your opponents forts.

#580 7 years ago

Also North v South was really awesome on nes as a 2 player game.

I don't remember that one at all. Looks cool from what I just googled.

#581 7 years ago

Somewhat related... Last year I bought a Playchoice 10, then I bought that NESLink adapter thing so I can play any NES cartridge right on the play choice. Then, I just plugged a multicast in to that adapter. Works great!

Only odd thing you have to do is to run a wire for the 2 player start button to an IC on the play choice MPU. This is because there was never a "START" wired up for player two on a PC-10 cabinet.

#582 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm sorry. Wrong name: Dragon Warrior.

Dragon Warrior was the first and only video game that my Mom ever played. I wish I still had the cart with the hero named "Mom".

Quoted from woody24:

What's the most valuable common NES game? I mean one that everyone probably had. Not that super rare track and field game. Just curious what games everyone wishes they didn't get rid of.

It probably depends on where you want to include as "common". I'd say Mega Man. The most recent CIB eBay sale was $310 with 40 bids.

Quoted from Mudflaps:

I still have my Power Glove. I have it as a display piece on my desk gripping an E-Tank Sports Drink.

$_57 (resized).jpg$_57 (resized).jpg

#583 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Dragon Warrior was the first and only video game that my Mom ever played. I wish I still had the cart with the hero named "Mom".

Odd, the only game my mom ever played was Activision Tennis for the Atari 2600. I do have to say that for it's time, it was the best simultaneous 2 player sports title for any home console.

I distinctively remember playing it up to at least 1999 with her when I was 19. I remember trying to get her to play Virtua Tennis ONE TIME on Dreamcast and she immediately went back to playing the Atari 2600 version saying it was better.

#584 7 years ago

i bought a power glove off a guy on craigslist who told me it was for sega and it was not as desirable as the nes one and got it for like 5 bucks.

#585 7 years ago

not classic, but the rumor mill has it that pre-orders for the nintendo switch start this friday. limit one system per household @ gamestop and most stores are only expected to receive 20 systems at launch

#586 7 years ago

these scarce releases are annoying. Remember when you could actually go and buy something when it came out? argh

#587 7 years ago

6 switch systems at launch, then 3 per month after that.

#588 7 years ago

Whats the really the selling point for getting the Switch on launch day?? I mean besides it being ultra portable....where are the games?! I got a PS4 Pro for Christmas that I am enjoying (if you didn't play Odin Sphere on the PS2 the PS4 version is killer.....I own both) and I don't see what "other" games that the Switch will have that the current gen systems aren't doing right now. It's a wait and see for me.....I still enjoy playing the WiiU anyway.

#589 7 years ago

So i talked with my friend who works at gamestop and she said they were thinking thursday or friday, depending on what Nintendo releases this week for info, they are waiting on Nintendo to confirm price and launch date. I would assume the "killer app" for its release will be the new Zelda.

#590 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

It probably depends on where you want to include as "common". I'd say Mega Man. The most recent CIB eBay sale was $310 with 40 bids

Jeez they have gone up. I'm glad five years ago I bought one when it was $35...

#591 7 years ago

The switch could very easily be the PS Vita. The Vita had so much potential. Love the Uncharted game, and rarely played anything else after that. The developers just crapped up the games. Also didn't help that the AAA developers handed their titles down to the B and C teams.

The Vita had power, some games were cross-buy, so you'd be able to take your games with you. But the screwed it up with the stupid menu system, and the rear touchpad taking over the L2+R2 buttons.

#592 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Jeez they have gone up. I'm glad five years ago I bought one when it was $35...

I so wanted to love Mega Man. Had a friend who had a couple, and he was really good at them. But then when I played, I became impatient and couldn't stay alive. Even today I can't stand playing any Mega Mans.

#593 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I so wanted to love Mega Man. Had a friend who had a couple, and he was really good at them. But then when I played, I became impatient and couldn't stay alive. Even today I can't stand playing any Mega Mans.

Try the Ninja Gaiden series. That is a very fast paced series where if you stop moving forward you die due to the responning. Your only hope is to push forward relentlessly and time your jumps with rout memory.

#594 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Try the Ninja Gaiden series. That is a very fast paced series where if you stop moving forward you die due to the responning. Your only hope is to push forward relentlessly and time your jumps with rout memory.

Man...

F--K THOSE EAGLES!

#595 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Man...
F--K THOSE EAGLES!

The spinning attack while jumping in the higher levels is just as valuable in Ninja Gaiden as the freaking knife is in Ghost & Goblens. You simply cannot get through the higher levels without it and when you have it you can't do a normal jump attack so you have to use it super duper sparingly so you don't exhaust your Ninja energy...

Crazy hard game. Easily the hardest video game I have on my list of games I beat...

#596 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

they are fabulous, but tough yeah. I've never as an adult had the patience to make it all the way through one of them, either, but man what a perfect gift for a kid in the late 80s.. back when most kids had five games total, you know? You could play that forever.

A buddy of mine who had, I think, three games for the NES growing up and is not a gamer, sat down and played it with me for the first time since he was a teen (we are talking 25 years) and fucking destroyed it. The level to which he'd memorized it and played it a million times as a kid was insane... to think that he could just sit down to it 25 years later like no time had passed.

#597 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Man...
F--K THOSE EAGLES!

It's the Jet pack Ninjas in Level 6-2 that are the worst for me.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

The spinning attack while jumping in the higher levels is just as valuable in Ninja Gaiden as the freaking knife is in Ghost & Goblens. You simply cannot get through the higher levels without it and when you have it you can't do a normal jump attack so you have to use it super duper sparingly so you don't exhaust your Ninja energy...
Crazy hard game. Easily the hardest video game I have on my list of games I beat...

It's easily doable without special powers once you get the timing down. As I said to Frax above, that level 6-2 is about the worst. Other than that part, the game isn't too difficult. Also, you can hold down on the D-Pad when you hit B and you'll do a normal swing instead of the jump-N-Slash.

#598 7 years ago

we will know more about the switch

Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017
Live from Tokyo | Jan. 12 at 8 p.m. PT/11 p.m. ET

hope they announce some launch titles.

#599 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

hope they announce some launch titles.

...and not use footage from a Madden game from the PS3.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2386582,00.asp

There are 3,073 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 62.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nes-classic-edition-unobtainium/page/12?hl=hassanchop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.