IMAG0911 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161124_161632 (resized).jpg
1479948789236928603901 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161116_010715 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161115_011756 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161119_162645 (resized).jpg
its-alive (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpeg
There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

A few months ago I got my hands on a Firepower in pretty good physical shape but would not boot (powered up and the GI worked). The master display had some glitchy issues and 2 of the slave displays were shot. Sound test worked fine so I knew the sound and speech boards were in decent shape. Driver board was a mess, acid damage, fried resistors everywhere, interconnect was, well typically lousy.

I've done a decent amount of restoration work on this era of SS machine before but other than replacing a resistor or two my board work has been minimal.

So, since I got the machine for a great price I decided that spending the dough on some new boards was worth it. I picked up all new Rottendog boards, MPU combo board, power supply, and all new displays. I also installed LEDs, cleaned every socket and connector, replaced the GI cap, rebuilt the flippers & installed new coils, replaced a fried pop bumper coil, and re-sleeved every other coil on the machine, replaced the power cord, playfield rubber, and added lexan washers to protect the plastic.

After all of this work I'm super apprehensive that I may have done something wrong and it's all going up in a puff of smoke when I power it up. I plan on flipping the switch after a few final tweaks next weekend. If all goes well I'll be posting a few pics. This is by far the most work I have put into a pin but it has also been a ton of fun.

#2 7 years ago

Flip the toggle switch and bring it to life.
Mike

#3 7 years ago

If you are concerned... power one with out the mpu and driver board power connectors on. Check voltages... +5, +12, +100, -100, +25v (solenoids), +18v(lamps). If those look good. Plug the MPU in and driver in and see what happens.

#4 7 years ago

After I do a full rebuild I am always so nervous to hit the switch but I have never had a issue. Go over everything real good and cross your fingers. You might disconnect the playfield on first power up? I have always though the biggest chance of magic smoke comes from the playfield.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

After I do a full rebuild I am always so nervous to hit the switch but I have never had a issue. Go over everything real good and cross your fingers. You might disconnect the playfield on first power up? I have always though the biggest chance of magic smoke comes from the playfield.

Truer words have never been spoken!

#6 7 years ago

Never turning a game on is indeed one way to ensure it never explodes but I think sooner or later that just isn't enough.

#7 7 years ago

Best thing you can do as mentioned is to first test with just the power supply, check voltages there and then reconnect the harnesses for the MPU/Driver. You could even leave the sound board and displays disconnected until you see activity from the MPU. Basically minimize anything that might be affected.

From the sounds of it you should be fine since you're using mostly new boards, but I can definitely understand the apprehension with having $500-700 in new boards.

#8 7 years ago

Thanks guys. Aiming for a Sunday power up.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from doompin:

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg

#10 7 years ago

its-alive (resized).jpgits-alive (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

Please keep us informed .. I am installing a new rotrendog board Friday on mine .. same thing I only have playfeild gi and the sound test works.. I've cleaned all switches checked connextions.. led in the gi.. new pinscore.. ect ect.. I'm hoping this does the trick..

IMG_20161119_162645 (resized).jpgIMG_20161119_162645 (resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago

And I bought mine cheap.. the game test says the cpu needs to be changed .. I'm hoping ..

#13 7 years ago

If your game boots up like that it usually means dead batteries or bad battery holder. Try turning the machine off and on with the coin door open.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Please keep us informed .. I am installing a new rotrendog board Friday on mine .. same thing I only have playfeild gi and the sound test works.. I've cleaned all switches checked connextions.. led in the gi.. new pinscore.. ect ect.. I'm hoping this does the trick..

Yeah, you don't need to buy an MPU. You just don't have working batteries.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

that's the same thing I had with alien poker. Turns out I needed batteries installed and to go through the settings. Then everything worked. Had the same thing you have. Random numbers in top left display. Williams games like batteries and to set the settings.

#16 7 years ago

Odd I checked the batteries,are good and all checked out good as far as battery voltage. I tried a million things to get her going.. says ram C 1 19 is cooked according to the test...

#17 7 years ago

And I installed a new ponscore .
Same numbers popp up and 2 3 4 players nothing..

#18 7 years ago

According to the board test the c 1 19 ram is bad.. to the lower left of the battery holder ..

IMG_20161115_011756 (resized).jpgIMG_20161115_011756 (resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago

IMG_20161116_010715 (resized).jpgIMG_20161116_010715 (resized).jpg

#20 7 years ago

And it hums for a second and only gi and backglass lights.. no flashers no other displays ect.. I'm gonna investigate more tonight .. any more leads on what to check I pre thank you..

#21 7 years ago

Did you try the quick off/on with the coin door open? Did you measure voltage at IC19? Your problem could very well be a bad ram chip, the 5101 at IC19 It could also be dead batteries, bad battery holder, or bad diode between the batteries and the ram chip.

#22 7 years ago

did you go through diagnostics and add credits? Try reseating the sandwich boards again.

#23 7 years ago

I can't go threw diagnostics at all .. I can get player one to blank and then like 10 away it will be all 0000000 .. then blank then back to that same number.. tried the coin door open on off sevral times .. nothing ..

#24 7 years ago

Were should I check voltage at to be exact ?

#25 7 years ago

IC 19, pins 22 and 8. You should have about 4 volts or a little more.

#26 7 years ago

2.3 on pin 8 and 4.84 on 22 strange I checked with meter and 3 pop bumper lights came on and 30.000 and 50.000 between ppp bumpers are now lit up ?
Wtf ? Lol

#27 7 years ago

Checked again.all the pip bumpers popped on.. turned machine off and on pop bumpers are out... wtf ?..lol

#28 7 years ago

Turned off and on checked again slingshot energized I belive at least I only heard it and the f 2 solenoid fuse blew . Odd ..

#29 7 years ago

Decided to check again after a new fuse .. right solenoid activated and these lights came on.. and fuse did not blow this time .. turn machine on and off pop bumper lights are out again't?
I'd say the board is shot maybe ?

1479948789236928603901 (resized).jpg1479948789236928603901 (resized).jpg

#30 7 years ago

The MPU is at least booting up enough to run the diagnostic. Have the coin door open. Power on the game, push the diag button on the MPU. All tests pass is two flashes. If it sticks on one or both LEDs, it thinks there is a problem.

This diag test only works if the game at least boots to audit mode.

Looking at your board pictures, you are probably going to find you have connector and IC socket issues.

#31 7 years ago

did you reset the sandwich boards? Take it off the 40 pin and back on. that is usually the problem area of these. Reseating it does wonders. Board isn't shot unless it's all white from acid damage.

#32 7 years ago

The test on the boards says that chip 1c 1 19 is bad in the book replace cpu board .. I ordered the rottendog dog board but would still like these gone threw and repaired bulletproof ed ect..

#33 7 years ago

I did re seat the 40 pin a few,times .. no difference .. the board on back is pretty clean.. I checked all connectors they all visually appear ok.. when I did the test from the manual and both led lights stayed lit in the test it said that chip is bad...

#34 7 years ago

And yes both led lights stayed lit..

#35 7 years ago

I'm totally confused. Did this thread get hijacked?
-mof

#36 7 years ago

It did.. sorry man.
Was very similar to my firepower issue..

#37 7 years ago

Best etiquette imo is to open a new thread for your issue. It's ok to link it here to help more people to find it.
-mof

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

2.3 on pin 8 and 4.84 on 22 strange I checked with meter and 3 pop bumper lights came on and 30.000 and 50.000 between ppp bumpers are now lit up ?
Wtf ? Lol

Put one lead on pin 8, the other on pin 22, set meter to DC voltage, game off.

#39 7 years ago

Ok IL try it .. what should the outcome be ?

#40 7 years ago

I spotted this just when leaving for dinner haven't had time to investigate ?
Is this for animated flash lighting under playfeild ?
Haven't had time to trace it yet ?
Looks possibly cooked?

IMG_20161124_161632 (resized).jpgIMG_20161124_161632 (resized).jpg

#41 7 years ago

One hell of a hijack!

#42 7 years ago

Sorry gonna srart another thread.. was just very similar.. aoolagies.

#43 7 years ago

My apologies for the hijack.. I started a new thread.. firepower issues.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

I spotted this just when leaving for dinner haven't had time to investigate ?
Is this for animated flash lighting under playfeild ?
Haven't had time to trace it yet ?
Looks possibly cooked?

Yes. That Warming resistor might be burnt but the small resistor looks ok! I just finally got my #89 flashers going and it looks great! If you just install LED #89's, you wont need the Warming resistor but you will need to cut the right leg of that burnt out Warming resistor. Make sure this small molex from the playfield is plugged into this wire coming from the driver board! Mine was unplugged!

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from doompin:

Any good news??

#47 7 years ago

:wall:OK..... So I just powered her up and, well, I guess it could be worse.

First. She has an issue with some sort of short. All of the switches in row " 5 WHT-GRN" are not working.
Second. The short is a bit more complex than just that. She scores points when the credit button is pushed and the flipper buttons are pressed. When I first powered her up the eject hole solenoids fired on and off for a few seconds then stopped. I started a game and she seemed to work but the 08 ball ramp thrower solenoid doesn't fire to kick a ball into play but the game behaves like everything is working. I tapped the flipper buttons a few times then all of the solenoids stopped working at once. Checked the power supply and the 4A F5 fuse popped. I don't have another on hand at the moment so here I am...

Oh, and when I powered it up. The left two digits (I think they're the player indicator) on the master display read 20 instead of zero.

I don't even know where to begin other than it's obviously got a switch matrix issue. Advice?

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

My apologies for the hijack.. I started a new thread.. firepower issues.

None necessary. We're in the same boat.

#49 7 years ago

Hmm. Possibly check fuse values? I could be wrong but I had a similar issue. The game reacted strangely when powered on turns out that the fuses were all wrong so i replaced them and now it works PERFECT. As for the 20 in the displays, you may have cold solder joint on your header pins and they need to be reflowed. Hope this helps!

#50 7 years ago

Pinball-DOOD can you be a bit more specific? The power supply is a brand new Rottendog and came with the fuses installed. I will double check them though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nervous-about-firepower and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.