Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by SirScott
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hqdefault (resized).jpg
    angela-bassett-waiting(1) (resized).jpg
    what-i-do-have-are-a-very-particular-set-of-skills-skills-i-have-acquired-over-a-long-career (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    o-girl-waiting-by-phone-facebook-1 (resized).jpg
    unnamed-9 (resized).jpg
    unnamed-12 (resized).jpg
    unnamed-7 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Two weeks ago I picked up a BK in need of some love: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nerdygrrl-gets-knighted

I posted an ad in the pinball classifieds looking for a BG, plastics and possibly a PF. I had several leads, a few of them promising. One guy reached out and stated he was taking in a BK that was in very nice shape and would have a BG and PF available for sale this week.

He quoted me a couple of prices, the BG was a little more than I would want to spend, but the PF seemed reasonably priced. I asked for some pics and two days later he sent them over.

As you can imagine my jaw dropped, but my spidey senses also tingled. This appeared too good to be true. I looked closer at the two pics, the underside and top side seemed to be taken in two different areas, and the pics were grainy.This jut screamed of stolen internet pics. I dropped the images into my search bar and nothing popped. I followed up with the seller to see if the price quoted was for the populated PF and what shipping would be to my zip. A few hours later he responded with a crated shipping quote from a reputable, west coast shipping company.

I told him I could live with the price, just tell me where to send the money.......

Edit Added Email addy's
    Source Addy: NorCal Paintball - [email protected]
    PayPal request addy: [email protected]

unnamed-12 (resized).jpgunnamed-12 (resized).jpgunnamed-9 (resized).jpgunnamed-9 (resized).jpg unnamed-7 (resized).jpgunnamed-7 (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

I spent most of yesterday just waiting by my laptop for the seller to send me the payment info. It took me back to my high school days waiting by the phone to be asked to prom..waiting, waiting, waiting...

o-girl-waiting-by-phone-facebook-1 (resized).jpgo-girl-waiting-by-phone-facebook-1 (resized).jpg
    #3 5 years ago

Finally this morning I woke up and sure enough the seller had replied...with a western union request !@#!

Good day Melissa, Below is money-gram/Western union details for payment

Receiver's Name: xxxxx x. xxxxx
    State: Florida
    City: Crawfordville
    Zip code: 32327.

Let me know once payment is made.

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg
    #4 5 years ago

Nobody, I mean nobody does nerdygrrl like that. Do you know who I am? I sit in an office by myself for eight hours a day stuck in front of a computer. I spent the 2016 tracking and mapping fake social media accounts.

what-i-do-have-are-a-very-particular-set-of-skills-skills-i-have-acquired-over-a-long-career (resized).jpgwhat-i-do-have-are-a-very-particular-set-of-skills-skills-i-have-acquired-over-a-long-career (resized).jpg
    #5 5 years ago

My Googlefu is strong son and I am coming for you.

angela-bassett-waiting(1) (resized).jpgangela-bassett-waiting(1) (resized).jpg
    #6 5 years ago
    Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Nobody, I mean nobody does nerdygrrl like that. Do you know who I am? I sit in an office by myself for eight hours a day stuck in front of a computer. I spent the 2016 tracking and mapping fake social media accounts.

Nice use of the Spidey senses!

Only 8 hours?

8.5/day here....lol

#7 5 years ago

Thirty seconds of googling I get a pop, the recipient appears to be an older woman late 60’s to early 70’s and has two different websites under her name. One for her translation business, which boasts and award for service and the other is a website where she hocks a line of cosmetics. She was also mentioned on her town’s Chamber of Commerce page and had two ads for a book launch and women’s gathering. 

Jesus, first I get scammed by a guy selling the pin claiming to be the son of an electrical engineer and now some grandma in FL has some elaborate scheme going on with a guy from Northern CA to take me for all of my pinball loot. What is this world coming to?!

The town she resides in is relatively small with a population of 3,700. Someone there must know this Scam-ma, I figured a call to the local PD or even the Chamber of Commerce might get me the info I sought so I flipped a coin and the Chamber of Commerce won.

The woman that I spoke to at the Chamber knew the woman in question. She used to be on the board in. She tried to assure me the woman was not a crook and was kind enough to provide me her cell phone number. Being concerned for the woman I gave her a call, and mentioned that someone had provided me her info and had wanted me to send her money. Her being old, she didn’t quite follow, she was also ate the “doctor’s office” (a likely story) and would need to call me back, but stated she was expecting some money Western Union today.

The plot thickens...
    hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

#8 5 years ago

Pm sent on BG.

#9 5 years ago

A few hours later I get a call back from the woman. We had a brief convo, I told her my story and how the person asked me to wire her several hundred dollars. She told me she had recently been scammed by a fellow that was allegedly in TX and that he had promised to wire her some money by the end of the month. She thought that maybe he had some come to Jesus moment. Sadly it seems like it is just another scam, but a weird one at that. I mentioned that whoever was behind this gave me enough info to track her down and that she should be careful about any wired funds as she might end up with the police knocking on her door one day. I offered to giver her and her police any of the info I had and forwarded along the payment request from the seller.

I wrote the seller back as soon as I saw the wire request and stated that I don't wire funds, that I would be happy to pay through PayPal, but not western union and that I would need more info.

To be continued.....

#10 5 years ago

.........and the seller just responded with a paypal email addy different than the email we have been corresponding through.....

Alright.. Below is the PayPal address.

[email protected]

let me know once done.

#11 5 years ago

I hate dirtbags like this. Definitely contact the local PD as we all have a internet crime division in California. I would also contact DOJ and advise them as well. Together as a pin community we can get these dirtbags one at a time. Keep us updated.
    Harley D.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from shovelhed:

I hate dirtbags like this. Definitely contact the local PD as we all have a internet crime division in California. I would also contact DOJ and advise them as well. Together as a pin community we can get these dirtbags one at a time. Keep us updated.
    Harley D.

It's just so weird, to request money to be sent to this woman. I can't tell if they were trying to pay her back by scamming me, if this was legit, etc.

The parts are allegedly in CA, they were going to use Bax to ship. They were using a NorCal email handle.

#13 5 years ago

Run away!!!

#14 5 years ago

Oh def, but I am curious. Now seller is stating he is in FL and not CA and not using Bax just called a buddy for a quote.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from nerdygrrl:

It's just so weird, to request money to be sent to this woman. I can't tell if they were trying to pay her back by scamming me, if this was legit, etc.
    The parts are allegedly in CA, they were going to use Bax to ship. They were using a NorCal email handle.

I'm in NorCal, want me to go get the parts for you?

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

There are no parts to get.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

Thanks, but this is totally a scam, but an interesting one at that.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Thanks, but this is totally a scam, but an interesting one at that.

Of course, but telling them you have a local willing to pick up will make it interesting

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Two weeks ago I picked up a BK in need of some love: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nerdygrrl-gets-knighted
    I posted an ad in the pinball classifieds looking for a BG, plastics and possibly a PF. I had several leads, a few of them promising. One guy reached out and stated he was taking in a BK that was in very nice shape and would have a BG and PF available for sale this week.
    He quoted me a couple of prices, the BG was a little more than I would want to spend, but the PF seemed reasonably priced. I asked for some pics and two days later he sent them over.
    As you can imagine my jaw dropped, but my spidey senses also tingled. This appeared too good to be true. I looked closer at the two pics, the underside and top side seemed to be taken in two different areas, and the pics were grainy.This jut screamed of stolen internet pics. I dropped the images into my search bar and nothing popped. I followed up with the seller to see if the price quoted was for the populated PF and what shipping would be to my zip. A few hours later he responded with a crated shipping quote from a reputable, west coast shipping company.
    I told him I could live with the price, just tell me where to send the money.......

Those pics are off the IPDB. I got a hit off the first two but the playfield one confused Google. Of course, it is in the row above on IPDB, so that helps. Different photogs though as you expected.

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=310&picno=16003
    https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=310&picno=26690
    https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=310&picno=26691

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from newovad:

Those pics are off the IPDB. I got a hit off the first two but the playfield one confused Google. Of course, it is in the row above on IPDB, so that helps. Different photogs though as you expected.
    https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=310&picno=16003
    https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=310&picno=26690
    https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=310&picno=26691

I didn't get any hits when I tossed them in-got an email server for each. Derp didn't even think to look at IPDB because I thought it would have popped. Perhaps my Googlefu is not as strong I thought

#21 5 years ago

Even though Grandma seemed legit, I mean she has a mary kay type webpage and the Chamber of Commerce vouched for her, I decided to alert the local pd.

#22 5 years ago

Working in the IT profession, I must say I'm mildly turned on by the OPs impressive detective skillset Well done! Good luck in your BK restoration search. I'm fairly certain that Mirco is close to having PFs ready.

#23 5 years ago

Seems like grandma need not be involved (though she might be). Could have had her identity stolen. That would allow the thief to retrieve the funds without her knowledge. It might also explain the "I'm expecting money" bit -- they could have used that scam as a way to get her to create a Western Union online account they had access to...

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from wxforecaster:

I must say I'm mildly turned on by the OPs impressive detective skillset

Just mildly? Any woman that has the pinball and arcade skills of Nerdygirl deserves to be worshiped by all.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

Just mildly? Any woman that has the pinball and arcade skills of Nerdygirl deserves to be worshiped by all.

Hahaha, I am so embarrassed that my Googlefu missed the images. MY image search just came up with a server.

Anyway, LEO called, report filed. A little concerned as they asked for my shipping addy to get a ship quote. I hope I don't end up with a knock at my door over some Western Union transfer.

#26 5 years ago

Grandma may think this guy is a Nigerian Prince or her online BF. She gets the wire transfer, takes her cut, then sends them the rest. She's complicit to a degree and anybody calling about it is someone to be wary of. Just another way for the real culprit to obfuscate the tracks leading back to them.

#27 5 years ago

Some of these scammers are scary peeps. I once got a knock on the door from scammers cousin in St. Louis telling me it was legit. Totally wasn't

#28 5 years ago

My mom got her first "Grandma I'm in big trouble!!!!" phone call last week.

It's a joke (I don't think my mom has ever been called "grandma" by anybody, especially her grandkids) but for the gullible or not-all-there these scams are a real issue. We have a distant family member by marriage who was scammed out of 6 figures by this one.

#29 5 years ago

It's crazy the lengths they will go to. I was going to string him along some more, but then had actual work to do. All in all made the morning more entertaining than watching cat vids.

I feel like I have done what I can, I alerted the authorities and the recipient in case she was not in on it and reported the email addy's to Mr Pinball. I probably won't bother with them again as it has just gotten too out of control there.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My mom got her first "Grandma I'm in big trouble!!!!" phone call last week.
    It's a joke (I don't think my mom has ever been called "grandma" by anybody, especially her grandkids) but for the gullible or not-all-there these scams are a real issue. We have a distant family member by marriage who was scammed out of 6 figures by this one.

My grandma has gotten a couple of those. Once was supposedly me, trapped in Europe. Funny thing was I was sitting on the couch across from her when she got the call.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:My grandma has gotten a couple of those. Once was supposedly me, trapped in Europe. Funny thing was I was sitting on the couch across from her when she got the call.

Yeah, that stuff really irks me. I was raised by my grandparents and great aunts/uncles. I now look after my 88 year old landlords. It’s a special kind of filth that prey on the elderly.

#32 5 years ago

Great read, I say keep them on the line thinking they have you on the line!
    I mean it sounds like you have time to kill?

Thanks for making us aware of this one!!

And now back to "your" regular programming.

#33 5 years ago

A few years ago I had a guy contact me saying he had a Lost World bg, and he saw that I needed one (probably from on Pinside or Mr Pinball).
    So, we went back and forth, and it seemed legit at first, but he stopped communicating after I asked for a current pic of him next to the bg with a handwritten note saying something agreed upon.
    Glad I didnt get scammed by that a-hole.

#34 5 years ago

Sorry to hear about the scam. I'm glad you caught it in time and did not get taken. We all work too hard for what we have to have somebody take it away.

#35 5 years ago

sounds like grandma's in on it!

#36 5 years ago

I love this thread.

#37 5 years ago

A few folks have asked me for the email addy's and other info. While I was going to post some screenshots of grandma's websites and headshots in my post because they are hysterical, I don't believe she is in on this and would rather leave her be.

As per the seller his original email had come in looking like a legit business email until you clicked on it and saw it was a toss away Gmail account. There is a business called NorCal Paintball, and splitting NorCal up like that shows some knowledge and understanding of English language, US culture- especially Northern CA. It's enough to get one's guard down.

Source Addy: NorCal Paintball - [email protected]
    PayPal request addy: [email protected]

#38 5 years ago

I saw a deal they were interviewing these people who somehow end up having their adresses used in these scams. They have an overload of checks and random items showing up at their house. Pretty crazy how much of this goes on.

#39 5 years ago

"Scam-ma" LOL!

#40 5 years ago

So many dodgey people out there praying on the very trusting, and easily led, elderly. I hope what you have done will help the authorities crack down on these scammers.

2 weeks later
    #41 5 years ago

Grandma was likely an unwitting money mule. They are quite common in the scamming world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_mule

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nerdygrrls-black-knight-adventure-takes-a-turnfloridian-grandma-scam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.