Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,355 posts
  • 397 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by shirkle
  • Topic is favorited by 185 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4449 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4415 (resized).jpeg
    C40C8E5A-CA44-469E-8765-6C4C83E83BAC (resized).jpeg
    ECC38F17-CE38-4280-A063-71B502024B05 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9345 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9330 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0782 (resized).jpeg
    20240322_064808 (resized).jpg
    20240323_145049 (resized).jpg
    20240313_005123 (resized).jpg
    20240313_005224 (resized).jpg
    78512 (resized).jpeg
    20240223_212902 (resized).jpg
    image000001 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9133 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9146 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rogerdodger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#894 3 years ago

Hi Guys:

Just wanted to show off my neon!

I managed to find this neon sign NIB and, originally, the bottom line read 'Ft. Lauderdale', in white.

Fortunately for me, the bottom line was a separate piece of neon, so it was easy to disconnect and remove.

I then contacted the company that made these for Heineken. They are a big company, so I was very surprised when they agreed to make me a custom bottom line reading 'Roger's Arcade', at a very reasonable price.

Of course, a picture can never show the true beauty of a neon sign and the colors are particularly weak on this picture. The left-hand sail is a beautiful shade of pink and the 'Roger's Arcade' line is a gorgeous turquoise. All the shading you see on various lines are not seen when looking at the actual neon. Probably my poor quality camera!

With the sun, palm tree, ocean and sailboat, it's a perfect neon for my game room in Florida.

Thanks for looking.

Roger
    neon (resized).jpgneon (resized).jpg

#898 3 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

A lot of breweries (esp. Bud and Heineken) made a lot of "personal" neon signs. Typically the bottom of the neon was a one piece tube that allowed the local Wholesaler to have them personalized. They would put a city name, location or the name of a pub. Here are a few examples ...[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Interesting.... I never knew that..

I guess, with my neon, they would make a few hundred (or more) with a custom bottom line, for each major town/city in Florida.

What pleased me the most was that the original manufacturer was prepared to make a single line for me. The charge was $100 which, for a one off custom line from a major sign manufacturer, struck me as very reasonable!

Thanks for posting...

#902 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Hi gcs2000 ,
    My name is Ryan Claytor. I'm a university professor, comics artist, as well as a pinball and neon enthusiast. As someone mentioned (thanks a bunch, ckcsm ) I design neon signs in collaboration with a neon fabricator, Josh Goodacre, who has over 30 years of experience bending neon. If you'd like to take a look at a few of our collaborative designs, you can see several of them here:
    http://www.tinyurl.com/clayacre
    Josh, the neon fabricator, can do anything (restorations, repops, repairs, etc) but the thing he and I love doing most are custom signs, like they one you're describing. We've got quite a few of them under our belt and even more that are being worked on RIGHT NOW. All that to say, we'd love to work with you.
    You also asked...

...and mesz was right, that there are...

...namely:
    - amount of glass
    - size
    - amount of animation (every step or frame of animation requires another transformer, and that can mount-up quickly with complex animation)
    The number of colors in a neon sign doesn't affect cost...at least not our cost. The exception to that are specialty colors, which are a little more expensive, but not enough to make a big dent in the budget, like the things mentioned above.
    In closing, if you (or anyone else) are interested, I'm happy to chat more specifics about your project privately. gcs2000 I just sent you a Pinside message to get things started.
    Hope this finds you well,
    Ryan Claytor[quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Wow! That has to be the nicest neon I have ever seen!

#903 3 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

If I were to guess you went to Neon Tech?

Yes, NeonTech is correct. They were beyond great to work with!

2 weeks later
    #929 3 years ago

I believe that a UPS store will pack and ship for you. Also, unless they have specific rules for glass, they will insure it so, in theory, there should not be a problem with a claim if they break it.

1 year later
    #1243 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Picked up two Mopar/Dodge signs this weekend with LEDs, look surprising good to my surprise.

I would like to see these. Can you post pics, please?

2 months later
    #1323 2 years ago

Not a home neon but thought you guys would enjoy this neon display from Carnaby Street in London!

Neon (resized).pngNeon (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rogerdodger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/neon-signs-show-us-your-glow?tu=rogerdodger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.