Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,358 posts
  • 397 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by schudel5
  • Topic is favorited by 185 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20240412_140438551 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240412_140420862 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240412_140408277 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4449 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4415 (resized).jpeg
    C40C8E5A-CA44-469E-8765-6C4C83E83BAC (resized).jpeg
    ECC38F17-CE38-4280-A063-71B502024B05 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9345 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9330 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0782 (resized).jpeg
    20240322_064808 (resized).jpg
    20240323_145049 (resized).jpg
    20240313_005123 (resized).jpg
    20240313_005224 (resized).jpg
    78512 (resized).jpeg
    20240223_212902 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alexf.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#58 9 years ago

I don't have any currently but would love to add something old to the game room. I have an old 1940s Gettelman beer sign that was neon originally but all the glass tubing is gone now.

This guy has some great stuff:
    http://thecollectionofcollections.com/collection-detail.php?id=17

2 years later
    #261 7 years ago

Well, I'm in the club.... almost. I finally picked up the rest of a Gettelman Beer sign tonight I've been after forever. I had one side of it and was after the rest to complete the sign for about 12 years. It's been sitting in the attic of a local Supper Club for forever.

I sprayed off the bat guano with the hose tonight. It probably doesn't look like much now but it will clean up. The other side looked just like it. Eventually I will get the neon working. That will have to wait awhile. I understand it isn't cheap.

GettelmanBeerSign.jpgGettelmanBeerSign.jpg

GettelmanB.jpgGettelmanB.jpg

#263 7 years ago

Well, my wife worked as a bartender at a local Supper Club like 12-13 years ago. At the time I was just getting into having a gameroom. She asked if they had any old beer signs around. They did, this sweet old dirty neon tucked away in the same place I just pulled it out of tonight. She made a deal with them if I could fix their sons computer I could have the sign. So I replaced the power supply with one I got from work. And it worked. The sign came home but I felt a little weird about it. The Supper Club has been in this family for 3 generations. I'm thinking the sign was there even before that time. Heirlooms are important in my family and I wondered if some relative was going to get upset about it being in my possession. Given away for a cheap computer part. So as a compromise I took one side of it, cleaned it up and hung it in my game room. The rest of the sign, the bigger part with framework and transformer etc was returned to the spot where it was.

As time has passed my appreciation for this thing as well as local history has grown. At the time it felt good to do the right thing but surprisingly the family didn't really have the appreciation for it like I did. It just sat in that same spot in the attic and the years rolled by. We've offered to buy the sign a few times and never really got a yes or no answer. They were probably wondering why the hell I didn't just keep it in the first place. My wife started bartending there again and my daughter waits tables. The son who's computer I worked on is now the new owner. A few weeks back my wife threw out a number we'd be willing to pay if he decided to get rid of the rest of the sign. He's doing some renovations and called her tonight. He said it's now or never, come and get it. So I'm pleased as can be and he's probably relieved to not have to carry it up and down from the attic anymore. I get the impression no one will miss it, the money is being put to good use and the sign will live again. Win/win with a clear conscience.

4 months later
    #309 7 years ago

My wife just bought this old Glo-Dial neon clock. It's from the Supper Club where she bartended, sadly they just closed the doors.

LakeHouseClock (resized).jpgLakeHouseClock (resized).jpg

4 years later
    #1283 2 years ago

Picked up this old RCA clock a few weeks back.

RCAClock (resized).jpgRCAClock (resized).jpg
    5 months later
    #1390 2 years ago

My wife chipped in to help me buy this Adel Brau (Glo-Dial) neon clock as an early Christmas present. Just have to figure out where to hang it.

AdelBrauClock (resized).jpgAdelBrauClock (resized).jpg
    1 year later
    #1906 1 year ago

Very excited to have picked up this very old neon counter advertising. The owner inherited it from his father. He had never plugged it in. I haven't cracked it open yet but the cloth wrapped cord is frayed. Assuming I rewire the plug how reliable are these ancient transformers?

BakeryNeon (resized).jpgBakeryNeon (resized).jpg
    6 months later
    #2100 8 months ago

Is there a sequencer in the wait/walk sign? Or do you need to fabricate something if you wanted it to alternate?</blockquote

This place sells some nice configurations of controllers.
    https://www.trafficlights.com/controls/

3 weeks later
    #2118 8 months ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

That is lovely, Alex!
    I can't wait to see it lit up!
    Eric

7 months went by and I finally got around to looking into this thing. She's alive! Just needed a power cord replaced and one side of the transformer reconnected.

The insert is a little hard to read when lit so I may need to find some other options. Fortunately it's just a cardboard sign that slides in from the top.

Kullmans (resized).jpgKullmans (resized).jpgKullmansA (resized).jpgKullmansA (resized).jpgKullmansB (resized).jpgKullmansB (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alexf.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/neon-signs-show-us-your-glow?tu=alexf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.