Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,365 posts
  • 397 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 37 hours ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 185 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

389808270_6706526849441354_3709074716295983445_n (resized).jpg
    387508215_6649302048438481_3514791507605685994_n (resized).jpg
    387454602_23954197100895596_6038739531831230838_n (resized).jpg
    386092843_6783773865044639_9032325290509174910_n (resized).jpg
    DSCN7931 (resized).JPG
    71B1jluWJzL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    light-09 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240412_140438551 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240412_140420862 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240412_140408277 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4449 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4415 (resized).jpeg
    C40C8E5A-CA44-469E-8765-6C4C83E83BAC (resized).jpeg
    ECC38F17-CE38-4280-A063-71B502024B05 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9345 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9330 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dayhuff.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 9 years ago

Love that Gottlieb neon !!
    Here's a few of mine, all vintage neon with that nice soft glow. I've probably got a dozen neons scattered around here.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

IMG_0014.JPGIMG_0014.JPG cashier neon-837.jpgcashier neon-837.jpg open neon-332.jpgopen neon-332.jpg
    #8 9 years ago

Yeah I stay away from any beer, Coke, sports stuff totally. All too common and I want stuff you dont see everyday. All though I did make one exception for my Budweiser carrousel because its such a cool piece and I always like it. Again this is a original one, not the reproduction.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

IMG_0118.JPGIMG_0118.JPG
    #63 9 years ago

Here's a few more that are scattered around the house/garage.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

PC080055.JPGPC080055.JPG IMG_0079.JPGIMG_0079.JPG IMG_0076.JPGIMG_0076.JPG IMG_0006.JPGIMG_0006.JPG P1200147-388.JPGP1200147-388.JPG Neon shoe from Midland flea market June 1st 2013, $275.-492.JPGNeon shoe from Midland flea market June 1st 2013, $275.-492.JPG
    1 year later
    #253 8 years ago

Obviously it depends on where your hanging the neon but either outlets really high up on the wall or outlets in the ceiling. I know what you mean I hate seeing cords too.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

2 months later
    #262 7 years ago

Very cool !! I'm not into beer advertising but I'm a sign guy from way back and its always good to see a old neon survivor getting a second life. What's the back story on this? How was it you ended up with one side for so many years and why did it take so long to acquire the rest of the sign?

3 months later
    #300 7 years ago

You get what you pay for. Old school all the way.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek MI.
    269-979-3836

IMG_0014 (resized).JPGIMG_0014 (resized).JPG

1 month later
    #335 7 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Anyone know what a USA made neon runs? I assume 2-3x more

When it comes to neon's you get what you pay for.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

#345 7 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

The question is ... who is a good US manufacturer for neon at a reasonable price? All I see on EBay is China and Hong Kong. The video link earlier on this page in the thread shows an American neon company, but I can't find any info or website for them even in the YouTube description.

Shoot me a email. I have one or two neon guys that are in Michigan but I don't want to post there info here. I'm not sure about cheap either....its a lost art so be prepared to pay up for it.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

4 months later
    #393 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

It's super tough to make genuine glass neons. Impossible for me really. I was able to get one glass tube to hold a green charge for a day. My hat goes off to these Craftsman

It's a work of art for sure and getting to be a lost one with more and more china crap coming to the states. Keep it in the USA and old school all the way.

John

#403 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'm lucky, I have a few places that make neon a few miles away.

I have one about twenty minutes from here but there very expensive. The other is a guy in Detroit, while cheaper but further away......Hmmm...

John

1 year later
    #591 5 years ago

New one (to me) coming in soon.....stay tuned.

John

#592 5 years ago

Just got this old school Radio Shop neon, with everything being all original. It belonged to my good friend Ross "Doc" Ellis for many years as he did radio repair and had it hanging in his shop. I don't know how old it is but I'm guessing from the forty's anyways.

John

IMG_0163 (resized).JPGIMG_0163 (resized).JPGIMG_0164 (resized).JPGIMG_0164 (resized).JPG
    2 months later
    #599 5 years ago

I like the "no matches" sign, that's my favorite one up there.

John

4 months later
    #644 4 years ago
    Quoted from jardine:

Wondering where you guys are getting all your neons from?!?
    I saw this at a dealers place here in Australia but at $1000 AUD is way to expensive for my liking!!!
    Anyone help point me in the right direction to find it I'd give you my first born! Haha[quoted image]

Look for old school neon's, stay away from the chinsey reproduction China crap is the best advice I can give you. It will be more expensive but you can't be the soft glow that a 50+ year old neon gives off. You can keep the first born too.......LOL.

John

#653 4 years ago

Just curious why you leave them on 24/7 ?

John

2 months later
    #683 4 years ago
    Quoted from Slips:

What are realistic prices for beer neons? Always see $200+ on FB marketplace

Just gave one away at the Zoo show this past year since nobody seemed interested in buying and I didn't want to haul it around anymore out of fear it would get broken. Michelob Light I wanna say it was, old school too. Personally I don't think beer neons are worth much of anything because there's so many around and so common. I like the stuff you don't see everyday.

John

IMG_0040 (2) (resized).JPGIMG_0040 (2) (resized).JPGNeon shoe from Midland flea market June 1st 2013, $275 (resized).JPGNeon shoe from Midland flea market June 1st 2013, $275 (resized).JPGP1200147 (resized).JPGP1200147 (resized).JPG
    3 months later
    #755 4 years ago

Up for sale is my "Open Donuts" neon. This is old school and has that nice warm glow to it. It's pretty good size as you can see in the picture. I'm not shipping this so it would have to be picked up either here at my house or perhaps at or during the PATZ show in April. $350.

Thanks,
    John

8c49c07b5c45ba6703733398ae757e4e42c2e23d (resized).jpg8c49c07b5c45ba6703733398ae757e4e42c2e23d (resized).jpg
    #758 4 years ago
    Quoted from CyberNinja24:

Above is the neon my friend and I would like appraised. I’d like to buy it from him but want to be sure we land at a fair price for both sides. In the meantime, I am borrowing it in game room.

If were talking about the MGM sign, it's not neon, unless there is neon on the inside? Value wise, I think $400 would be about right.

John

#768 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cleanroom:

The Art Deco era, MGM movie/music industry theme and scarcity of this item push this past a $400 figure. I agree with ROLLINOVERS assessment regarding auction value. Never seen another sign like this before. I paid $295 for this 1950’s NOS Dickies sign and felt like I got a bargain. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.[quoted image]

I guess so, because I think you got robbed spending $300 on a $100 at best sign.

John

#776 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cleanroom:

John,
    Your valuation is obviously flawed and nowhere near accurate on these items.
    "I guess so, because I think you got robbed spending $300 on a $100 at best sign".
    Cheers,
    Chuck

Like I said, that is my opinion on the values. I couldn't give a rats ass what Lloyd thinks its worth. What is his word LAW or something?? The guy wanted peoples opinions and so I gave him one just like you did. Take it for what it is and move on.....sheeesh!!

John

#778 4 years ago

So there you go, you can't put a price on sentimental value.......we'll maybe you can. Best of luck!!

John

3 months later
    #863 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I have a couple neon beer signs in my garage/game room. I usually leave them on 24/7, as I enjoy the lighting and ambiance they provide.
    Question: should I be concerned with any overheating or fire hazard issue by leaving them on 24/7?

Let me ask you this, would you leave your car running 24/7?

John

#866 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

No, that is not even the same comparison.
    I see many neon signs thru out the city, that are on 24/7. Not to mention, what about the 1,000's of neon sign / clocks that have been running for decades?

Why not? Ok, then do you leave your pinball machines on 24/7? Just because some one jumps off a bridge are you going to jump too?

John

#869 4 years ago

So there you go, the decision is yours. Great info and thanks for sharing.

John

3 weeks later
    #950 3 years ago

Nice to see an original neon picture posted, conformity is boring.

John

4 months later
    #1114 3 years ago

K+K Amusements used to sell ones similar to this but I can't remember who the supplier was, not sure if they could be lit up either.....Hmmmm?

John

1 month later
    #1131 3 years ago

Picked up this one for the kitchen/dining room a few months ago, again ....old school neon. Hard to tell from the picture but the top portion is pink and the bottom half is white.

John

IMG_0003 (resized).JPGIMG_0003 (resized).JPG
    1 year later
    #1685 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

That's got to be vintage! That was their old slogan from back in the day. Nice indeed!

It is cool, but it's not as old as you might think.

John

2 weeks later
    #1719 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

Responded to a craigslist ad that said, "Liquidating collection!" Listed pins, jukes, neon, fortune tellers, clocks, gas pumps.
    Dude had tons and I mean tons of neon, said he was in the neon business for 40 years, unbelievable collection, but this guy did not want to sell anything, he asked top market prices and above for everything. He wants $100 K for this neon! It may be one of the coolest I've ever seen, way out of my price range for sure. Love the "web" style lettering, never seen that before.
    Dude is in Martinez CA if anyone has a hole burning through to their pocket!
    B
    [quoted image]

$100,000 for this one neon? I mean you can ASK any price you want but come on.

#1721 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

My guy could make that sign for about $2500 cdn

I'm all about buying originality, especially when it comes to neons but in this case I could change my mind for a $97,500 difference....LOL.

John

1 month later
    #1759 1 year ago

Love "The Potting Shed" sign, it caught my eye first and then the fat tire and then the pins......I think I've got a problem.

John

2 weeks later
    #1798 1 year ago

Got this O'Brien Paints neon about a year ago from a local hardware store that closed after 100 years. It didn't have any transformer when I got it and it needed some black paint touch up and a little cleaning but it turned out great. Old School baby!!

John

IMG_0051 (resized).JPGIMG_0051 (resized).JPG
    2 months later
    #1845 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sarge:

Yeah, except for the having to hire a guy with a crane on his truck, then figuring out how to transport it safely part...Oh yeah, paying for it kinda sucked too...BUT you are right it's for sure pretty awesome!
    [quoted image]

Let me know if you want your money back and then some and I'll come take it off your hands. Seriously.

John

#1849 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

Hell yes. This is what I am talking about. John, it just sounds like you’re throwing a pinball sign installation party

Hey thats an excellent idea, I like it!!

John

4 weeks later
    #1886 1 year ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

So, I'm building a frame for my newly acquired neon sign.
    I noticed that some of the blackout (?) paint is flaking off.
    I would like to touch up some of the bare spots before I put this thing together.
    What is the best paint to use for this?
    Thanks, E

I use Rust-Oleum high heat enamel #7778 Bar-B-Q Black

John

#1896 1 year ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

All done.
    Not so sure I'd do this again.
    I have a headache.
    [quoted image]

You did a great job, above and beyond really.

John

2 months later
    #1933 1 year ago

They make plug in letters. Buddy of mine had a small sign like that once. It was old but you could pull the neon letters out of the holder and put different ones in, I'm guessing that's what this one is.

John

#1949 1 year ago
    Quoted from Charles_Kline:

Someone should start and LED sign thread for folks to post these icky LED things. This is the GLASS Neon sign thread.

THANK YOU!!

1 month later
    #2001 1 year ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Had the Corvette sign for a while. Bought the cash sign yesterday as non-working. Fired right up when I got it home. I'm thinking there was something wrong with the extension cord he was using.
    [quoted image]

Looks good Mike. Only thing is I never ever used a extension cord....., just don't turn it off and it will be fine.

John

3 months later
    #2093 9 months ago

The only tapes I ever used were TDK D90

John

1 month later
    #2186 7 months ago

Or they could test it with a neon tube tester. I keep one in my truck for just such emergency in case I come across one at an auction or some place.

John

3 months later
    #2291 3 months ago

Tell us how you got that theatre sign. It's way cool and one of the best things I've seen in this thread yet.

John

1 month later
    #2324 73 days ago
    Quoted from Gubbin:

I'm looking to add a sign or two to my game room. Anyone have experience with Chinese /Ebay new stuff?

Nope. Stick with old school originality.

John

IMG_0014 (resized).JPGIMG_0014 (resized).JPG
    1 month later
    #2346 29 days ago
    Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

I love obscure signs. I picked this one up over the weekend and am going to give it a facelift. I enjoy the subject matter and enjoy the fact that islets clear. I have already ordered colored bulb sleeves, and am planning on backing the sign with a jeweled vinyl.
    [quoted image]

LOVE IT!! Nice to see something other then another beer sign. Keep them coming.

John

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dayhuff.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/neon-signs-show-us-your-glow?tu=Dayhuff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.