Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,365 posts
  • 397 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 185 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

389808270_6706526849441354_3709074716295983445_n (resized).jpg
    387508215_6649302048438481_3514791507605685994_n (resized).jpg
    387454602_23954197100895596_6038739531831230838_n (resized).jpg
    386092843_6783773865044639_9032325290509174910_n (resized).jpg
    DSCN7931 (resized).JPG
    71B1jluWJzL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    light-09 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240412_140438551 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240412_140420862 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240412_140408277 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4449 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4415 (resized).jpeg
    C40C8E5A-CA44-469E-8765-6C4C83E83BAC (resized).jpeg
    ECC38F17-CE38-4280-A063-71B502024B05 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9345 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9330 (resized).jpeg
    There are 2,365 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 48.
    #401 7 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Got my lanshire clock movement back from Norkro. Michael did a great job rebuilding the movement. I had some stripped gears. It's working great in the Budweiser clock again my FIL will love this.
    If anyone has a neon clock and needs a rebuild I recommend him!

Have his info?

#402 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

It's a work of art for sure and getting to be a lost one with more and more china crap coming to the states. Keep it in the USA and old school all the way.
    John

I'm lucky, I have a few places that make neon a few miles away.

#403 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'm lucky, I have a few places that make neon a few miles away.

I have one about twenty minutes from here but there very expensive. The other is a guy in Detroit, while cheaper but further away......Hmmm...

John

#404 7 years ago

Yeah!

Michael
    [email protected]
    PHONE: 971-206-8915
    https://norkro.com/

#406 7 years ago

He is like a drug dealer. He shows you the signs and clocks he has made or repaired. He shows you all the different colors he can make them in. Old ones new ones, you need just this one repaired, but look at this old Stag sign, this Aztec clock, you want them all.........
    He has great service, great prices, and even better work.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#407 7 years ago

I just acquired these in an auction for my future game room remodeling project.

20170419_202551 (resized).jpg20170419_202551 (resized).jpg
    20170419_201953 (resized).jpg20170419_201953 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
    #408 6 years ago

Anyone know who sells this "pinball alley" neon? I've found the similar pinball wizard ones but I'm far from a wizard of anything and my game room is going to very much be an alley...

IMG_3078 (resized).pngIMG_3078 (resized).png

#409 6 years ago

I got this sign made for my son Parker's room. I thought it was a pretty cool idea and came out well. He has some other neons in his room too. I will get some more pics once I get it hung. The kid won't be two until end of July. I am a spoiler!!

IMG_4084 (resized).JPGIMG_4084 (resized).JPG

IMG_4085 (resized).JPGIMG_4085 (resized).JPG

#410 6 years ago

Ha, I see what you did there! Cute.

#411 6 years ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

I got this sign made for my son Parker's room. I thought it was a pretty cool idea and came out well. He has some other neons in his room too. I will get some more pics once I get it hung. The kid won't be two until end of July. I am a spoiler!!

That's awesome, great idea!

#412 6 years ago

My other son's name is Jackson. He just turned 4 and has this sign in his room so I had to make it even.

IMG_4086 (resized).JPGIMG_4086 (resized).JPG

#413 6 years ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

My other son's name is Jackson. He just turned 4 and has this sign in his room so I had to make it even.

To funny, thanks for sharing. A few years before he can partake in some Jack and Cokes with you

#414 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

To funny, thanks for sharing. A few years before he can partake in some Jack and Cokes with you

Yeah. My parents think I am corrupting my children, but I think they will be OK!

#415 6 years ago

Picked up PGA and Texas signs but out of wall space. The Bull Xing is new and made the cut

IMG_7115 (resized).JPGIMG_7115 (resized).JPG

IMG_7118 (resized).JPGIMG_7118 (resized).JPG

IMG_7212 (resized).JPGIMG_7212 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
    #416 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Picked up PGA and Texas signs but out of wall space. The Bull Xing is new and made the cut

How do you have all your neons plugged in to the outlet?

I have four waiting to put up, and was thinking of using a power surge protector. I would simply turn on all the neons and just use the on and off switch on protector from there on. Don't know if it would hurt the neons or not.I was just curious as to how you have them plugged in.

#417 6 years ago

Selling all my Neon signs. CA East Bay Only. PM if anyone local is interested. Looking for someone who wants to buy them all. $95 each. All Sci-fi, Arcade theme.

#418 6 years ago

Not true neon, but it fits the look I am going for.
    Super bright or dimmable.
    Spellbrite LED signage system!
    Now I need to finish the "alley"
    IMG_3093 (resized).JPGIMG_3093 (resized).JPGIMG_3094 (resized).JPGIMG_3094 (resized).JPGIMG_3095 (resized).JPGIMG_3095 (resized).JPGIMG_3096 (resized).JPGIMG_3096 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3099 (resized).JPGIMG_3099 (resized).JPG

#419 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrockne:

Looks good

#420 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrockne:

That looks awesome! I have never seen this before. Where did ya get it? Cost?

** Woah. I found their site, and just for "pinball" costs 170 bucks. Ouch.

#421 6 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

That looks awesome! I have never seen this before. Where did ya get it? Cost?
    ** Woah. I found their site, and just for "pinball" costs 170 bucks. Ouch.

Thanks!
    Yeah, they are roughly $20 per letter... I would have gone the custom neon route, but I needed the height as narrow as possible for my basement. I don't think I could have accomplished that with traditional neon.
    I'm not sure if they offer any coupons or sale prices.

#422 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrockne:

Thanks!
    Yeah, they are roughly $20 per letter... I would have gone the custom neon route, but I needed the height as narrow as possible for my basement. I don't think I could have accomplished that with traditional neon.
    I'm not sure if they offer any coupons or sale prices.

It's a great way to easily put together a custom sign. You definitely pay for the convenience, though

#423 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrockne:

I would have gone the custom neon route, but I needed the height as narrow as possible for my basement. I don't think I could have accomplished that with traditional neon

You can get neon in any size shape or form you want!

#424 6 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

You can get neon in any size shape or form you want!

I did look into it, but came across this product in the process.

#425 6 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

It's a great way to easily put together a custom sign. You definitely pay for the convenience, though

Eh, if a pinball part vendor sold them, they'd be $25.00 a letter.

#426 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

LOL, that may be true!

#427 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Nah they would do a pre-order/pre-pay, take your money and 3 years later you'd be reading this post for status!

Quoted from jrockne:

I did look into it, but came across this product in the process.

So you're about $240 in on the sign which is not too bad as a (real) neon would cost around $275 to have made!

So what do you do, just order the letters you want and then assemble them in the order you want to that black back piece (I am assuming that's what powers it?)? Pretty neat none the less!

1 week later
    #428 6 years ago

Here's one I listed on ePay! Sign is excellent condition.....selling it as I have the large Coors Light neon with the animated player on it!

IMG_7572[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7572[1] (resized).JPG

1 month later
    #429 6 years ago

IMG_0878 (resized).JPGIMG_0878 (resized).JPG

IMG_0879 (resized).JPGIMG_0879 (resized).JPG

IMG_0881 (resized).JPGIMG_0881 (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #430 6 years ago

Some pics of my neon and tiki

IMG_6044 (resized).JPGIMG_6044 (resized).JPG

IMG_6065 (resized).JPGIMG_6065 (resized).JPG

IMG_6068 (resized).JPGIMG_6068 (resized).JPG

#431 6 years ago

Where neons meet lighted beer signs. Motion signs from the 60's, 70's and 80's.
    bar02 (resized).jpgbar02 (resized).jpg

#432 6 years ago

Neon clock in the bathroom used as a night light.

IMG_6091 (resized).JPGIMG_6091 (resized).JPG

#433 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lswonz28:

How do you have all your neons plugged in to the outlet?
    I have four waiting to put up, and was thinking of using a power surge protector. I would simply turn on all the neons and just use the on and off switch on protector from there on. Don't know if it would hurt the neons or not.I was just curious as to how you have them plugged in.

Sorry for delayed reply...yes. The neons on the back wall are in a power strip and I just turn that switch on. it extends the life of the transformers because the pull chain switch can stop working from repetitive use. Many transformers are difficult to just fix the chain switch. The local neon shop who fixes ones I get cheap that are broke recommended that to me. When I go to his shop, he never uses the pull chains. Just plugs them in and out. That being said, the one off neons on the side walls are not on a power strip, and I use the pull chains with crossed fingers and a prayer. But those one I rarely turn on. Hope this helps....

#434 6 years ago

Many transformers are difficult to just fix the chain switch.

Actually they're very easy to fix! Just take the housing off the power supply and pull out to 3 wires and snip them! Splice the new switch on (you can get them cheap at Lowe's, Home Depot etc.). I use shrink tubing to ensure that the wires don't touch or, on older models, touch the metal housing!

#435 6 years ago

Good points on switches. I actually just had a switch go out on me and am contemplating the repair myself. I had one transformer with bad switch and couldn't get into it, so I just replaced the transformer. Maybe they are easier to get to than I realized? The two neon guys I have used in the past both said it's easier to just swap a transformer. Maybe they were just pulling my leg? Haha

#436 6 years ago

Good points on switches. I actually just had a switch go out on me and am contemplating the repair myself. I had one transformer with bad switch and couldn't get into it, so I just replaced the transformer. Maybe they are easier to get to than I realized? The two neon guys I have used in the past both said it's easier to just swap a transformer. Maybe they were just pulling my leg? Haha

Sure its easier to swap them but power supply cost up to $100 and a switch is $3. If you power supply is newer than it's easy to take apart and do the swap! If you have an older one that is filled than it's harder as you have to dig the wires out!

#437 6 years ago

Newest addition...

IMG_8159 (resized).JPGIMG_8159 (resized).JPG

#438 6 years ago

My favorite of my neon signs.

IMG_0817 (resized).JPGIMG_0817 (resized).JPG

#439 6 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Actually they're very easy to fix! Just take the housing off the power supply and pull out to 3 wires and snip them! Splice the new switch on (you can get them cheap at Lowe's, Home Depot etc.). I use shrink tubing to ensure that the wires don't touch or, on older models, touch the metal housing!

What amp switch do you use? Or how can one tell after opening the transformer? As fate would have it....one of my neons had its switch stop working this week...feeling brave enough to fix it on my own. Looking at Home Depot website, they have 3 and 6 amp switches. Also, where do you get the shrink tubing? Home Depot too?

#440 6 years ago

Our family is from the northern Ohio/southern Michigan area. My wife grew up in downtown Detroit - we are looking for any Detroit-related neon signs for the hangout room. Already have a Red wings sign.. looking for Detroit or Washington Capitals signs for a reasonable amount

#441 6 years ago

What amp switch do you use? Or how can one tell after opening the transformer? As fate would have it....one of my neons had its switch stop working this week...feeling brave enough to fix it on my own. Looking at Home Depot website, they have 3 and 6 amp switches. Also, where do you get the shrink tubing? Home Depot too?

Since I don't know what power supply you have I can't tell you which switch to buy but I can tell you that most neon signs only use about .8 amps so the 3 amp switch probably will work!

The shrink tubing you can get at Home Depot as well or any Auto Parts or Electric Supply place! Most shrink tubing is 2/1 meaning it will shrink to half its size! So best to buy shrink tubing that is a little bit bigger than the existing wire. Remember you'll need a little space for the twisted wires to fit along with the diameter of the wire so you don't want to buy shrink tubing that fits like a glove!

#442 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Our family is from the northern Ohio/southern Michigan area. My wife grew up in downtown Detroit - we are looking for any Detroit-related neon signs for the hangout room. Already have a Red wings sign.. looking for Detroit or Washington Capitals signs for a reasonable amount

Does the Capitals sign shine bright all year long and then go out once a year like the Caps (sorry couldn't resist)!

Best thing to do it look at Craigslist for the DC/Maryland and Detroit area! What a lot of people may not realize is that when neon signs are made for sports teams (speaking of beer related ones) the local Wholesalers actually have the signs made for the area so that's why the sports neons are harder to get!

#443 6 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Does the Capitals sign shine bright all year long and then go out once a year like the Caps (sorry couldn't resist)!
    Best thing to do it look at Craigslist for the DC/Maryland and Detroit area! What a lot of people may not realize is that when neon signs are made for sports teams (speaking of beer related ones) the local Wholesalers actually have the signs made for the area so that's why the sports neons are harder to get!

Haha when I find one that's exactly what I expect it to do; we call it "choke" mode

I will keep on checkin'... I'd like a couple other signs but don't really want to do beer signs, which have proven pretty easy to find

#444 6 years ago

Just got her 2day..old lady doesn't know about it yet. Gonna wait a bit till she leaves so I can hang it...

IMG_1813 (resized).JPGIMG_1813 (resized).JPG

#445 6 years ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

Just got her 2day..old lady doesn't know about it yet. Gonna wait a bit till she leaves so I can hang it...

If you ever want to fix your sign up from a perspective of the paint cracking and peeling off go and buy Rust-Oleum Enamel black paint (can not spray paint). This is as close to black-out paint you can get without the high cost of buying actual black-out paint! You can either brush it on (takes more time) or you can remove the tube from the sign and dip the tube into the paint (this method is better but you need to get a pan large enough for the tube(s) you're dipping and you'll need at least a gallon of paint so it's deep enough to dip the tube!

Looking at your sign I can see the MILLER tube especially has a lot of missing paint. If you were to do the above it will make the sign light up a lot better (as if it were new)!

Of course before you do any of this wait till the wife sees the sign as she makes you get rid of it then the above is all wasted time

#446 6 years ago

I wish there were a way to touch up color painted tubes as well. But I don't think there is.

#447 6 years ago

I wish there were a way to touch up color painted tubes as well. But I don't think there is.

The closest you will get is by going and buying Testors model paints! A lot of their colors are almost a match for the colors used on neons but not a dead match! I had a guy send me pictures of signs he touched up with Testors and they looked good but no matter what you do, outside of doing the whole tube, you will notice it!

#448 6 years ago

not a neon

but i built this with some RGB Leds

#449 6 years ago
    Quoted from kapsreiter:

not a neon
    but i built this with some RGB Leds
    » YouTube video

That looks great...love when it went blue.

#450 6 years ago

I can't make out in the video.....are the led strips stick on the face of the sign, or mounted behind it with cutouts?

There are 2,365 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/neon-signs-show-us-your-glow/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.