Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,358 posts
  • 397 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by schudel5
  • Topic is favorited by 185 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20240412_140438551 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240412_140420862 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240412_140408277 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4449 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4415 (resized).jpeg
    C40C8E5A-CA44-469E-8765-6C4C83E83BAC (resized).jpeg
    ECC38F17-CE38-4280-A063-71B502024B05 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9345 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9330 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0782 (resized).jpeg
    20240322_064808 (resized).jpg
    20240323_145049 (resized).jpg
    20240313_005123 (resized).jpg
    20240313_005224 (resized).jpg
    78512 (resized).jpeg
    20240223_212902 (resized).jpg
    There are 2,358 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 48.
    #901 3 years ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

I would love to get her something Jaws related like maybe a shark eating a pin or something or the eating the word arcade but the shark needs to look decent of course.

Hi GCS2000 ,

My name is Ryan Claytor. I'm a university professor, comics artist, as well as a pinball and neon enthusiast. As someone mentioned (thanks a bunch, ckcsm ) I design neon signs in collaboration with a neon fabricator, Josh Goodacre, who has over 30 years of experience bending neon. If you'd like to take a look at a few of our collaborative designs, you can see several of them here:

http://www.tinyurl.com/clayacre

Josh, the neon fabricator, can do anything (restorations, repops, repairs, etc) but the thing he and I love doing most are custom signs, like they one you're describing. We've got quite a few of them under our belt and even more that are being worked on RIGHT NOW. All that to say, we'd love to work with you.

You also asked...

Quoted from GCS2000:

Anyone know what it costs to have a sign made?

...and meSz was right, that there are...

Quoted from meSz:

...Several variables to this...

...namely:

- amount of glass
    - size
    - amount of animation (every step or frame of animation requires another transformer, and that can mount-up quickly with complex animation)

The number of colors in a neon sign doesn't affect cost...at least not our cost. The exception to that are specialty colors, which are a little more expensive, but not enough to make a big dent in the budget, like the things mentioned above.

In closing, if you (or anyone else) are interested, I'm happy to chat more specifics about your project privately. GCS2000 I just sent you a Pinside message to get things started.

Hope this finds you well,
    Ryan ClaytorClaytorArcade.gifClaytorArcade.gif
    claytorArcade_2000px.jpgclaytorArcade_2000px.jpg

#902 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Hi gcs2000 ,
    My name is Ryan Claytor. I'm a university professor, comics artist, as well as a pinball and neon enthusiast. As someone mentioned (thanks a bunch, ckcsm ) I design neon signs in collaboration with a neon fabricator, Josh Goodacre, who has over 30 years of experience bending neon. If you'd like to take a look at a few of our collaborative designs, you can see several of them here:
    http://www.tinyurl.com/clayacre
    Josh, the neon fabricator, can do anything (restorations, repops, repairs, etc) but the thing he and I love doing most are custom signs, like they one you're describing. We've got quite a few of them under our belt and even more that are being worked on RIGHT NOW. All that to say, we'd love to work with you.
    You also asked...

...and mesz was right, that there are...

...namely:
    - amount of glass
    - size
    - amount of animation (every step or frame of animation requires another transformer, and that can mount-up quickly with complex animation)
    The number of colors in a neon sign doesn't affect cost...at least not our cost. The exception to that are specialty colors, which are a little more expensive, but not enough to make a big dent in the budget, like the things mentioned above.
    In closing, if you (or anyone else) are interested, I'm happy to chat more specifics about your project privately. gcs2000 I just sent you a Pinside message to get things started.
    Hope this finds you well,
    Ryan Claytor[quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Wow! That has to be the nicest neon I have ever seen!

#903 3 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

If I were to guess you went to Neon Tech?

Yes, NeonTech is correct. They were beyond great to work with!

#904 3 years ago

I’d love to find a bud light play pinball one

#905 3 years ago
    Quoted from rollinover:

I’d love to find a bud light play pinball one

The two I pictured I sold. They were signs that originally depicted the names of local bars on them. I purchased them and had the manufacturer make the PLAY PINBALL tubes. So look for a neon on CL like that and just have a tube made.

It will cost little more money but ask Ryan to make you one. This would be the way to go as you can have him make what you want as opposed to settling for BUD LIGHT or some other brand you don't necessarily care for!

#906 3 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

The two I pictured I sold. They were signs that originally depicted the names of local bars on them. I purchased them and had the manufacturer make the PLAY PINBALL tubes. So look for a neon on CL like that and just have a tube made.
    It will cost little more money but ask Ryan to make you one. This would be the way to go as you can have him make what you want as opposed to settling for BUD LIGHT or some other brand you don't necessarily care for!

I used to have one and sold it lol

#907 3 years ago

In other news, Josh and I just finished a non-personalized arcade sign that I designed.

arcadeTealPinkFinal (resized).jpgarcadeTealPinkFinal (resized).jpg

This is a completely new and original sign, designed by me...

arcadeArrowPinkTeal (resized).jpgarcadeArrowPinkTeal (resized).jpg

...and expertly realized by Josh Goodacre of "The Neon Shop".

Our original idea was to have this for sale at show or two during Spring 2020, but...well...you're living this reality, too.

But that doesn't mean you can't have this sweet sign decorating your arcade. It's made in a retro-perfect 1950's-inspired teal and pink color scheme and hand-crafted in bona fide gas-and-glass neon by a master-bender with over 30 years of experience.

Price: $695
    Dimensions: 2' wide x 1.5' tall

#908 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

In other news, Josh and I just finished a non-personalized arcade sign that I designed.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    Our original idea was to have this for sale at show or two during Spring 2020, but...well...you're living this reality, too.
    But that doesn't mean you can't have this sweet sign decorating your arcade. It's made in a retro-perfect 1950's-inspired teal and pink color scheme and hand-crafted in bona fide gas-and-glass neon by a master-bender with over 30 years of experience.

So what power supply do you use and what are you using for a frame? Hard to tell from your picture but it looks at if your standoffs are the ones that glue to plexi

#909 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]

I like this a lot! I need to come up with something . This is close, but wouldn't go where I am wanting. Would rather have the "real thing" like this than the stuff that is imported.

Now you have my wheels turning...….

That price is good for a custom bent neon sign. Do you know what shipping would be on something like that?

Chris

#910 3 years ago

Just got some answers from Josh Goodacre (Owner/Fabricator of The Neon Shop):

theNeonShopAnimated600.giftheNeonShopAnimated600.gif

Quoted from meSz:

So what power supply do you use and what are you using for a frame? Hard to tell from your picture but it looks at if your standoffs are the ones that glue to plexi

Josh says, "The tube supports are screwed in."

Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I like this a lot! I need to come up with something . This is close, but wouldn't go where I am wanting. Would rather have the "real thing" like this than the stuff that is imported.
    Now you have my wheels turning...….

First, thanks for the kind words, SilverUnicorn ! I think I may have mentioned this, but...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Josh, the neon fabricator, can do anything (restorations, repops, repairs, etc) but the thing he and I love doing most are custom signs...

So...when you're ready, let me know.

Also...

Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

That price is good for a custom bent neon sign. Do you know what shipping would be on something like that?
    Chris

Josh says, "I'm completely guessing on the shipping, I'm thinking 1 to 150 to ship and 1 to 150 to package. If someone is really serious I can get an exact price, but it will take me a couple days. But I think between two and three, I would not expect more than 3"

#911 3 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

P.S. This just in (perhaps it will help answer some of your questions, meSz )
    arcadeTealPinkFinalOff (resized).jpgarcadeTealPinkFinalOff (resized).jpg

#912 3 years ago

Anyone familiar with this company

01313_ifMa37wJ2rz_600x450 (resized).jpg01313_ifMa37wJ2rz_600x450 (resized).jpg

00R0R_9xe3JOceaPz_600x450 (resized).jpg00R0R_9xe3JOceaPz_600x450 (resized).jpg

#913 3 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Anyone familiar with this company
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Zeon Neon is a neon manufacturer that was bought out by Antigo, now called Antigo Zeon (https://www.antigozeon.com/). Big manufacturer of beer neon signs. They make some really nice neons but one of the downfalls of Zeon was their use of the Hot Swap Power Supplies. They just never seemed to last!

#914 3 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Zeon Neon is a neon manufacturer that was bought out by Antigo, now called Antigo Zeon (https://www.antigozeon.com/). Big manufacturer of beer neon signs. They make some really nice neons but one of the downfalls of Zeon was their use of the Hot Swap Power Supplies. They just never seemed to last!

Does that pic show that ....?
    It's a really nice neon.
    I believe this sign is an older original

#915 3 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Show what? Not sure what you're asking here?

Quoted from golfingdad1:

Depends on what you call old as the sign was manufactured in April 2009 so it's just over 11 years old.

Quoted from golfingdad1:

It's a really nice neon.

Have to take your word as we can't see the neon from the two pics you provided.

#916 3 years ago

Sorry could not figure out how to add entire link...

00R0R_apIgyCcm6e2_600x450 (resized).jpg00R0R_apIgyCcm6e2_600x450 (resized).jpg

29" x 22"

#917 3 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

It's a really nice neon.

I'm from SB
    Went to SBHS

#918 3 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Sorry could not figure out how to add entire link...
    [quoted image]
    29" x 22"

There we go ... the Fat Tire neon was made by a few different manufacturers but yeah Zeon was one of them. So your's is an "original" in the sense that's it not a knock off but it's not one of the first neon signs produced.

Quoted from golfingdad1:

I'm from SB
    Went to SBHS

Really like it here! Moved out about year n half ago. Great place to be quarantined but, as you know, its not cheap! Not to mention pinball doesn't have a presence here......very little.

#919 3 years ago

Chinese neon. I gave one as a gift a couple years ago and got one for myself at the same time. 18w 0.92 power factor uses 2 hongba 3kv power supply.
    20200515_010946 (resized).jpg20200515_010946 (resized).jpg

Thread makes me want to find a couple old ones.

#920 3 years ago

One of my neons that a secret santa gave me this past Christmas. Thanks again Santa.

thumbnail-1 (resized).jpgthumbnail-1 (resized).jpg
    #921 3 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Chinese neon. I gave one as a gift a couple years ago and got one for myself at the same time. 18w 0.92 power factor uses 2 hongba 3kv power supply.

I have had ZERO problems with Chinese neons. Keep them on 24/7 and have 7 of them with the same style HONGBA power supplies. They work perfectly and add background lighting ambience to the room. They have been running continuously for the last five years non-stop.

Highly recommend these.

#922 3 years ago

Found this yesterday

D2E6DB9D-69EF-48D4-A5E4-3B889842E2D3 (resized).jpegD2E6DB9D-69EF-48D4-A5E4-3B889842E2D3 (resized).jpeg
    #923 3 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I saw this neon for sale and the seller wants $90.00. I've seen it everywhere, so I don't think it's really rare. Is this worth 90.00?
    Thanks in advance
    Ralph
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Go grab the anchor steam if you haven’t already. It appears to be the smaller size version, maybe 8x8ish. Those small ones very hard to come by. I have the small Anchor and it’s one of my favorites. Great color and small to fit into the right space.

Here’s my smallest and my largest neons.
    71A8DAD7-2C00-4A55-AC81-0D92F7FA65B8 (resized).jpeg71A8DAD7-2C00-4A55-AC81-0D92F7FA65B8 (resized).jpeg

#924 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:Go grab the anchor steam if you haven’t already. It appears to be the smaller size version, maybe 8x8ish. Those small ones very hard to come by. I have the small Anchor and it’s one of my favorites. Great color and small to fit into the right space.
    Here’s my smallest and my largest neons.
    [quoted image]

Your Sunkist guitar is sweet.
    Never saw that one before.

#925 3 years ago

I've got some of the parts for my Godzilla neon I'm making. I think It's going to work.

IMG_0332 (resized).jpgIMG_0332 (resized).jpg
    #926 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

I've got some of the parts for my Godzilla neon I'm making. I think It's going to work.
    [quoted image]

Effin eh!!

#927 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

[quoted image]

Can you supply a list of parts that you used?

#928 3 years ago

I found a neon sign that I want but it is a few states away and I do not want to drive to get it. I would like to get it shipped. Does UPS pack and ship neons? Any recommendations on professional packers/shippers?

#929 3 years ago

I believe that a UPS store will pack and ship for you. Also, unless they have specific rules for glass, they will insure it so, in theory, there should not be a problem with a claim if they break it.

#930 3 years ago
    Quoted from rogerdodger:

I believe that a UPS store will pack and ship for you. Also, unless they have specific rules for glass, they will insure it so, in theory, there should not be a problem with a claim if they break it.

Great! Thank you! I will check into it.

#931 3 years ago
    Quoted from jtreehorn:

Great! Thank you! I will check into it.

UPS requires a minimum of 3" of protection on all sides of the neon. So if you're shipping a 24x24x6 neon your box should be a minimum of 30x30x12ish. Typically the best thing to do is ... box the neon in a box that is exactly the size of the sign and then place it in the bigger box with the minimum of 3" protection on all sides. Even with this.... if the neon is broken they will deny your claim at first. you will need to fight with them but as along as you follow their guidelines they will pay out in the end.

I can tell you the 2 UPS Stores close to my place, back in Pittsburgh, stopped shipping neon signs about 3 years ago as they had too many claims.

#932 3 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

Can you supply a list of parts that you used?

I bought a NECA 1962 Godzilla figure on Amazon for $23. A 12 inch 12 Volt Neon tube kit on Ebay for $9 and had the 12 V power supply from some appliance at home. I'm still looking for a good box to put it all in. The one pictured is just a temporary shoe box. I still need to get a female plug for the box when I get it.

IMG_0334 (resized).jpgIMG_0334 (resized).jpg
    #933 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

I bought a NECA 1962 Godzilla figure on Amazon for $23. A 12 inch 12 Volt Neon tube kit on Ebay for $9 and had the 12 V power supply from some appliance at home. I'm still looking for a good box to put it all in. The one pictured is just a temporary shoe box. I still need to get a female plug for the box when I get it.
    [quoted image]

Thanks for the info. I may make one as well!

#934 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

A 12 inch 12 Volt Neon tube kit on Ebay for $9

Found the Godzilla on Amazon but having trouble finding the Neon tube kit - can you post the link? Gonna have to try this myself

#935 3 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Found the Godzilla on Amazon but having trouble finding the Neon tube kit - can you post the link? Gonna have to try this myself

Same here.

#936 3 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Its Ebay item # 222156901884. I think the 6 in. one is to short so you need 12 in. in red

#937 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

ts Ebay item # 222156901884. I think the 6 in one is to short so you need 12 in in red

And ordered, thanks! I saw that one but it looked like from the picture and description two 6" ones not a choice between 6" and 12". Now I have to wait till the end of July to receive...

#938 3 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

And ordered, thanks! I saw that one but it looked like from the picture and description two 6" ones not a choice between 6" and 12". Now I have to wait till the end of July to receive...

Theres a choice between 6 and 12 . Did you get the 12 ?

#939 3 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Quoted from jhanley:

Theres a choice between 6 and 12 . Did you get the 12 ?

Is the 12inch one piece? The description is confusing yet they show a picture of a 13 inch piece? lol

#940 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:heres a choice between 6 and 12 . Did you get the 12 ?

Yes, got the 12", red. Ordered Godzilla from Amazon too. Lots of choices there, but the one you got seemed the best, so ordered that. Like most, got a box full of 12v converters so ready to go when the neon comes in

Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Is the 12inch one piece? The description is confusing yet they show a picture of a 13 inch piece? lol

There are drop down boxes next to the description/pic to select 12" and the color.

#941 3 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Yes, you get two.

#942 3 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Yes, got the 12", red. Ordered Godzilla from Amazon too. Lots of choices there, but the one you got seemed the best, so ordered that. Like most, got a box full of 12v converters so ready to go when the neon comes in

There are drop down boxes next to the description/pic to select 12" and the color.

That's the best Godzilla for this because it comes with a Atomic Breath thing that fits in the back of his throat. The hole back there lets the neon tube fit better.

#943 3 years ago

Everything had been ordered. I'm planning on building a destroyed city around Godzilla as well. Just not sure how I'll make the buildings yet.

#944 3 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Everything had been ordered. I'm planning on building a destroyed city around Godzilla as well. Just not sure how I'll make the buildings yet.

I was thinking the same thing. I was looking at model railroad landscaping kits on Amazon. The company that makes the Godzilla makes all the other monsters too.

#945 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

I was thinking the same thing. I was looking at model railroad landscaping kits on Amazon. The company that makes the Godzilla makes all the other monsters too.

I just found walthers.com

It's an online business that sells DIY model railroad buildings and scenery.

Me thinks that may be the way to go.

#946 3 years ago

Godzilla will be delivered tomorrow. Too bad it takes so long to get the neon. It appears most are using N scale train buildings with these size Godzilla figures. I actually already had a few Godzilla figures but bought another for this project.
    I also have all 3 Godzilla actor’s autographs.

#947 3 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

Godzilla will be delivered tomorrow. Too bad it takes so long to get the neon. It appears most are using N scale train buildings with these size Godzilla figures. I actually already had a few Godzilla figures but bought another for this project.
    I also have all 3 Godzilla actor’s autographs.

Yeah, it took a month for me to get the neon.

#948 3 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

It appears most are using N scale train buildings with these size Godzilla figures.

So, Godzilla size has changed through the years, but the early movies he was about 50 meters (164 Feet). N size railroad in the U.S. is 1:160, so a one foot Godzilla Figure would be about 1:164 - pretty good match for N scale.

#949 3 years ago

84393536_2702420903205990_8566940342119563264_o-2 (resized).jpg84393536_2702420903205990_8566940342119563264_o-2 (resized).jpg

#950 3 years ago

Nice to see an original neon picture posted, conformity is boring.

John

There are 2,358 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/neon-signs-show-us-your-glow/page/19?hl=jaytrem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.