5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 735 posts
  • 211 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by Nevus
  • Topic is favorited by 89 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 657 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

EIDM-42XUAA4Jaj (resized).jpg
    EIDM-41X0AAd7ae (resized).jpg
    EIDM-40WwAIR8sn (resized).jpg
    EIDM-40XUAIT_TX (resized).jpg
    E67CA71E-FB1F-4E5A-A54F-656EDA2B3896 (resized).png
    592EADD9-6912-4CEF-9E45-3FFA2C84B74B (resized).jpeg
    C0F24FE1-99E4-47CF-8205-CEFE16BA072E (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20190916_181422715.jpg
    IMG_20190916_181422715 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190916_181430340 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190916_181412733 (resized).jpg
    83DA0106-D064-475C-9F64-DF9346930C39 (resized).jpeg
    15707165204365485829233263821483 (resized).jpg
    15707164866114480947257814473674 (resized).jpg
    20191010_095105 (resized).jpg
    20191010_094737 (resized).jpg

There are 735 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 15.
    #701 57 days ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Can others with Fat Tire neon knowledge chime in?

Fat Tire neons were made by Antigo (Antigo purchased Zeon Neon so your sign might have Zeon on it). Antigo does still make signs in the States but most of the higher produced ones are made in China. Antigo will make one off signs if you want.

I think what the poster was stating is that his Fat Tire sign is an authentic one and not a Chineese knockoff.

#702 57 days ago

I'll check the transformer when I get home. My fat tire came new in the original box with manufacturer's IDs and such which I don't recall now. But I do remember it was a sturdy box of "OEM American" quality, not like the generic "soft cardboard with generic fonts" a lot of Chinese stuff comes in.

When I was looking for a Fat Tire sign I discovered the side profile one, where the handlebars make the cross-stroke in the "A", is rarer... I prefer that one because the wheels are circular. But while looking for that I found TONS of Chinese knock-offs of the "approaching" (angled) bicycle. Most were pretty bad in terms of consistency of spacing from rim to tire... a couple were downright awful unless you like boomerangs for tires. Eventually I saw a couple that looked more uniform, like Blitzburgh's….maybe those were originally USA made?

#703 57 days ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

I grew up in southwest Chicago, where Old Style tavern marquees were more common than all the Baptist Church Signboards where I live now. It's a comforting reminder of home (perhaps even moreso than the 312 Sears Tower

I've bought quite a bit of Old Style logo merchandise from the Old Style Gift Shop that was in Crestwood. I still use the 12 Pack logo cooler I bought there.

20190916_231514 (resized).jpg
    #704 56 days ago

I'll check the transformer when I get home. My fat tire came new in the original box with manufacturer's IDs and such which I don't recall now. But I do remember it was a sturdy box of "OEM American" quality, not like the generic "soft cardboard with generic fonts" a lot of Chinese stuff comes in.
    When I was looking for a Fat Tire sign I discovered the side profile one, where the handlebars make the cross-stroke in the "A", is rarer... I prefer that one because the wheels are circular. But while looking for that I found TONS of Chinese knock-offs of the "approaching" (angled) bicycle. Most were pretty bad in terms of consistency of spacing from rim to tire... a couple were downright awful unless you like boomerangs for tires. Eventually I saw a couple that looked more uniform, like Blitzburgh's….maybe those were originally USA made?

Must be a newer, updated style from the manufacturer. Dammit!!! Now I want that one too!!

#705 56 days ago

MrBally, that cooler is rad! I don't think I remember that slogan, but it fits Love the mosaic tile embossment in the lid. Silly design flourishes like that always geek me out. I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those. I found a heavy glass OS pitcher at an antique mall here about a year ago.

Blitzburgh, fear not: your sign actually matches the label art. Which I appreciate! If the handlebar/A gimmick and circular wheels hand't won me over, I would've saved a lot of "d'oh"!

(speaking of, I completely forgot to check the sign, I didn't even go down there last nite. I'll follow up when I remember to.)

#706 56 days ago

R - T - I - N - U - D ? I'm not great at Scrabble but even so, I'm not coming up with much. NUDIRT? TURD IN?
    Here's my small assortment:
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    Please note the Fat Tire has nice round wheels, so it's an original US-made production. All the Chinese knock-offs have distorted, ovoid wheels. 312 was Goose Island's flagship beer well before AB bought them out. I first saw that sign when I made the pilgrimage to get blitzed at a hometown sportsbar during Game 1 of the '05 Word Series... and had to have one. My brother almost conned that same one to go home with us but, it was a wild night ha ha... so I had to find one elsewhere.
    The small round one in the middle is not a pure commercial neon, but the first "neon sign" I ever owned, and one I made myself. I kitbashed a repro art-deco console wall clock with a neon ring that came from a different novelty clock, but happened to fit nicely in the art deco ring frame, with just enough power to make that whole frame glow softly. I then reproduced the face of a rare 1955 bubble advertising clock (which was much larger and lit by two 60W bulbs) to fit my frankenstein:
    [quoted image]
    It's obviously overpowered by the commercial signs but sometimes I don't want those on anyway, in which case the blue ring is just bright enough.
    I also have an old vacuformed sign that might still be my favorite, and is the first one that greets gameroom guests:
    [quoted image]
    I grew up in southwest Chicago, where Old Style tavern marquees were more common than all the Baptist Church Signboards where I live now. It's a comforting reminder of home (perhaps even moreso than the 312 Sears Tower

Cool signs and it’s only appropriate that you have round tires to match your name

#707 55 days ago

Well, after reading here about the "Chinese" versions, I had to check mine. Although 20 years old, mine was made right here in the good old USA! ("Merica!" )

Mine looks more like the labels on the bottles. I'll stick with the "vintage" model.

FT - 3 (resized).jpgFT - Label (resized).jpg
    #708 55 days ago
    Quoted from Nikrox2:

Well, after reading here about the "Chinese" versions, I had to check mine. Although 20 years old, mine was made right here in the good old USA! ("Merica!" )
    Mine looks more like the labels on the bottles. I'll stick with the "vintage" model.[quoted image][quoted image]

That's the older version of the sign and probably was made in the States but your second picture that shows the actown label.... that's the label for the power supply and not the neon sign itself. Before neon companies like Neon Tech and EnHance started to have their Power Supplies made for them with their name on it all neon companies used power supplies from third party companies. So, again, actown is the manufacturer of the power supply and not the neon sign.

Look for another decal on the backside of the frame. A lot of times these decals come off so you may not have one anymore.

#709 54 days ago

Correct, no labels or decals left after all these years. I was able to do some on line research and found that New Belgium Brewery was founded in 1991, and around the time my sign was made (8 years later), they were only distributing in 16 states. I then contacted some retiree's from both Actown and NBB, and according to reliable sources, the date in which mine was made and the serial number, show this one to be very rare! Further swab testing revealed Kim Jordan's DNA (NBB President) - so this thing must be worth thousands! Any buyers? If it's on the web, it's true right?

In all honesty, by trying to find a label, this thing is now lodged between my ceiling and the top of a game..lol, so it ain't going no where..ha! It looks great, we like it and it actually draws as much attention as my "vintage" Bass and Harp signs.

I do notice, with all the neon lights on and all the games on, the game room gets a little heated in the summer (and it's in the basement!) so these things must put off some heat? (Add in a kegerator, mug freezer, Jägermeister tap & shot glass freezer, a hot tub & tanning bed - my Electric bill is sky high now!) No one mentions these things when starting out in this "hobby" (Addiction?) Good times!

IMG_8792 (resized).jpgIMG_8033 (resized).JPG
    #710 53 days ago

Ok new sign for me of the local beer I like and unpacked the Hummer sign.

B9614414-9418-4AAC-B6F8-FBF3EA07718D (resized).jpegEC705AE9-36EF-44E5-815A-7ED5514AF71A (resized).jpeg3EAA7EDF-4D3C-4183-A17A-D057B5B85C63 (resized).jpeg99F6F51E-0884-473B-A3D1-8FBFAE4C70CC (resized).jpeg
    #711 53 days ago

The 805 is sweet!

#712 53 days ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Ok new sign for me of the local beer I like and unpacked the Hummer sign.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]Would love a Firestone Walker neon! Not an 805 just a plain FW

#713 51 days ago

New to posting on Pinside but I have really enjoyed seeing some of the neons that folks have in their game rooms and homes. I have always loved neon signs and found a very nice neon guy here in North Florida that made the 3 signs that I have posted photos of. Unfortunately, he recently closed his shop. He told me when I picked up the last sign I had made that LEDs had put him out of business and all he had left was repairing beer neons and making a few custom signs for crazy folks like me. Not really enough business to warrant the time he told me. Anyway, I also have neon beer signs on top of all 9 of my pinballs in my gameroom and have them on an alternator so they take turns coming on and off. Quite a cool effect. I will post some photos of these at some point. Thanks for sharing all of the cool neon photos
    Andy

Andy's bar neon (resized).jpgHome-gameroom neon (resized).jpgcobra neon (resized).jpg
    #714 51 days ago

Those are great!
    Thanks for sharing!

#715 48 days ago

mesz said! “Would love a Firestone Walker neon! Not an 805 just a plain FW”

Yes those are great signs also, unfortunately they don’t sell those currently in neon. They have a Leon (fake neon with leds). I would suggest checking Craigslist as I have seen one on there before but nothing currently. They do counterfeit them on eBay so be careful if you check there if you strictly want an original.

#716 47 days ago

Cool 805 sign, Pinballlew ! I'm a Santa Ynez Valley native and was looking longingly at that 805 sign this summer when I visited the Firestone Walker Taproom & Barrelworks in Buellton with my parents for dinner. ...and I don't even drink! Ha-ha! Anyhow, very cool pick-up.

I'm pretty psyched to throw my hat into this ring for the first time. We
    recently renovated an area of our basement to out our gameroom& during that process I designed a custom, animated, 7.5' wide, neon sign:

ClaytorArcade.gif

...and here's the sign with me mugging next to it for scale:

ClaytorArcadeRyan2000.jpg

For those interested, here's the whole gameroom:

claytorArcade_2000px.jpg

Woodrails:

woodrail01_2000px.jpg

EM's and Moderns:

modernEM_2000px.jpg

Pano:

Pano4000.jpg

And here's a youtube video of the neon...animating away:

http://www.tinyurl.com/ClaytorNeon

Great thread, everyone! Love seeing all the different displays of neon! Keep 'em comin'!

#717 47 days ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

We renovated an area of our basement into a gameroom and I designed a custom animated 7.5" wide neon sign.

Gee. From that picture the neon sign looks just a mite larger than seven and a half inches to me.

#718 47 days ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

a custom, animated, 7.5" wide, neon sign:

Very very cool sign but ... how tall are you?

F6CB5247-DD1E-4FF8-A688-42C834345BCB (resized).jpeg
    #719 47 days ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Gee. From that picture the neon sign looks just a mite larger than seven and a half inches to me.

Quoted from JimFNB:

Very very cool sign but ... how tall are you?[quoted image]

Ha-ha! I was just coming back to edit that post. Boy howdy, not 5 minutes later and already some eagle eyes beat me to the edit. *LOL*

Representing the Lollipop Guild,
    -Ryan

#720 47 days ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Already some eagle eyes beat me to the edit. Representing the Lollipop Guild.

Welcome to Munchkinland, where nothing slips past the Pinside police.

#721 47 days ago
    IMG_8574 (resized).jpg
    #722 46 days ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Cool 805 sign, Pinballlew ! I'm a Santa Ynez Valley native and was looking longingly at that 805 sign this summer when I visited the Firestone Walker Taproom & Barrelworks in Buellton with my parents for dinner. ...and I don't even drink! Ha-ha! Anyhow, very cool pick-up.
    I'm pretty psyched to throw my hat into this ring for the first time. We

recently renovated an area of our basement to out our gameroom& during that process I designed a custom, animated, 7.5' wide, neon sign:
    [quoted image]
    ...and here's the sign with me mugging next to it for scale:
    [quoted image]
    For those interested, here's the whole gameroom:
    [quoted image]
    Woodrails:
    [quoted image]
    EM's and Moderns:
    [quoted image]
    Pano:
    [quoted image]
    And here's a youtube video of the neon...animating away:
    http://www.tinyurl.com/ClaytorNeon
    Great thread, everyone! Love seeing all the different displays of neon! Keep 'em comin'!

Nice Sheba!

1 week later
    #723 33 days ago

Here's my glow

15707164866114480947257814473674 (resized).jpg15707165204365485829233263821483 (resized).jpg20191010_094737 (resized).jpg20191010_095105 (resized).jpg20191010_095151 (resized).jpg20191010_095409 (resized).jpg20191010_095522 (resized).jpg20191010_095511 (resized).jpg20191010_094820 (resized).jpg20191010_095022 (resized).jpg
    #724 33 days ago

I would like to get some kind of Fiberoptic sign but man can they be expensive.

2 weeks later
    #725 15 days ago

I have had many come and go over the years
    Am in the market for a spuds mackenzie

one in Ohio if anyone has one
    Will pay up for it
    May even settle for a nice fake lol

#726 15 days ago
    Quoted from rollinover:

Will pay up for it

I have an original nice spuds sign in my collection, goes great with Spring Break pinball. One of my favorites!

83DA0106-D064-475C-9F64-DF9346930C39 (resized).jpeg
    #727 14 days ago
    Quoted from Classics_Master:

I have an original nice spuds sign in my collection, goes great with Spring Break pinball. One of my favorites![quoted image]

Show off!!!
    Lol just kidding
    Yes that is what I want haha
    Spring break your right
    Isn’t he on the playfield hahaha
    Good times

#728 14 days ago

One of the best moments in Spinal Tap.

#729 14 days ago
    Quoted from rollinover:

Will pay up for it

Like this?

IMG_20190916_181412733 (resized).jpg
    #730 14 days ago

Couple more

IMG_20190916_181422715.jpgIMG_20190916_181430340 (resized).jpg
    #731 14 days ago
    Quoted from Chynnalou:

Like this?[quoted image]

Grrrrrr
    For sale
    Seriously ill pay a very nice price for one!!

#732 14 days ago

My original Cleveland Aztec Clock and 1950s Drive In neon

C0F24FE1-99E4-47CF-8205-CEFE16BA072E (resized).jpeg592EADD9-6912-4CEF-9E45-3FFA2C84B74B (resized).jpeg
    #733 14 days ago
    Quoted from Chynnalou:

Like this?[quoted image]

Your frame looks different then the original spuds ones

I had one many moons ago but sold it here is mine with wrong frame and different script then other ones

Sure would like to find it again
    E67CA71E-FB1F-4E5A-A54F-656EDA2B3896 (resized).png

#734 14 days ago

Hello fellow neon fans,

I recently posted a portfolio of several neon signs which I've custom-designed for myself and a number of collectors:

http://www.elephanteater.com/14618/neon-design-portfolio

Here are a few previews just to whet your appetite:

EIDM-41X0AAd7ae (resized).jpgEIDM-40XUAIT_TX (resized).jpgEIDM-40WwAIR8sn (resized).jpgEIDM-42XUAA4Jaj (resized).jpg

I didn't want to clog up this thread too much, so full images and descriptions of the signs and their environments are located at the link above.

I figured there might be a few folks on this thread who'd appreciate 'em or possibly be interested in a custom neon sign of their own. I work closely with Josh Goodacre of The Neon Shop (https://www.facebook.com/neon4u2/), a really meticulous neon fabricator in my area who has been bending neon signs for over 30 years...and we do ship signs in the continental US.

Great seeing everyone's neon collection in here. I love coming to this thread for inspiration. Keep 'em comin'!

Sincerely,
    Ryan Claytor

#735 13 days ago

Those are amazing Ryan. I love the rocket with the blinking stars.
    Now I want one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    € 159.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    FlipperLED
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 5.00
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 1.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 98.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 11.95
    Displays
    PinballSolutions.eu
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 45.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    € 279.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    There are 735 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside