5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 661 posts
  • 193 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 81 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 576 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bowling_pins (resized).jpg
    spinas_playground (resized).jpg
    spina-vino (resized).jpg
    skeeball (resized).jpg
    prize_cage (resized).jpg
    1930s_antique_slots (resized).jpg
    30880AD8-E2EB-4856-A4BA-B934FBF92FB2 (resized).png
    33362220-8231-421B-9ABD-BE1D1135EBD7 (resized).png
    1562730559637811230841 (resized).jpg
    vegas (resized).jpg
    IMG_9145.JPG
    DE neon (resized).jpg
    825DC465-ABF8-4C2A-9A85-5B682543B807 (resized).png
    16DF7A4C-043C-4055-AC2C-AE5555DB19B6 (resized).jpeg
    20190504_223622 (resized).jpg
    20190504_164838_resized (resized).jpg

There are 661 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 14.
    #651 5 days ago

I have run non-stop for four years and counting, several Chinese neon signs with absolutely no problems. They all use that small 3kv ballast and run fairly cool with it, no issues.

My signs are on 24/7.

1930s_antique_slots (resized).jpgbowling_pins (resized).jpgprize_cage (resized).jpgskeeball (resized).jpgspina-vino (resized).jpgspinas_playground (resized).jpg

#652 4 days ago
    Quoted from Clint12:

[quoted image]

I love that!

#653 4 days ago

Just curious why you leave them on 24/7 ?

John

#654 4 days ago

Neons will last longer when left on. The initial arc shortens the life of the ballast and internal tube anode, so they're really designed to be run permanently. Since the current draw is minimal, it's a safe bet to run them all the time, and inexpensive electricity-wise.

The high wall outlets were designed with this in mind.

#655 4 days ago
    Quoted from ramegoom:

Neons will last longer when left on. The initial arc shortens the life of the ballast and internal tube anode, so they're really designed to be run permanently. Since the current draw is minimal, it's a safe bet to run them all the time, and inexpensive electricity-wise.

This is true. If a fella is going to turn them on and off though, use a power strip or plug/unplug. One of the more common fails is the pull chain switch.

#656 4 days ago
    Quoted from ramegoom:

Is that true? That is craziness!

#657 4 days ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Is that true? That is craziness!

It's true!
    Not only that, by having the signs on more it doesn't allow for the gas inside the tubes to settle. If anyone has ever seen where you turn on a neon and it lights up portions of the tube?? This is typically due to the gas settling. As I explained early on in this thread somewhere, if you ever get this do what is called a mercury roll. Turn your neon sign on, hold it up to the sky so it's facing the ground, look for a small, what looks like, black BB and twist the sign so that BB works it way through the tube(s). You will see the tube get brighter as you do this. You may have to move the BB from one end of tube to the other a few times for it to light up completely.

A lot of people think the tube is bad when it's just the gas settling. BTW - The black BB is the mercury inside the tube.

#658 4 days ago
    Quoted from meSz:

It's true!
    Not only that, by having the signs on more it doesn't allow for the gas inside the tubes to settle. If anyone has ever seen where you turn on a neon and it lights up portions of the tube?? This is typically due to the gas settling. As I explained early on in this thread somewhere, if you ever get this do what is called a mercury roll. Turn your neon sign on, hold it up to the sky so it's facing the ground, look for a small, what looks like, black BB and twist the sign so that BB works it way through the tube(s). You will see the tube get brighter as you do this. You may have to move the BB from one end of tube to the other a few times for it to light up completely.
    A lot of people think the tube is bad when it's just the gas settling. BTW - The black BB is the mercury inside the tube.

Yep I know exactly what you mean. Damn that is so counter intuitive!

#659 4 days ago

So for all of us that turn on our signs say once a week or every other week
    For about eight hrs at a time this could be hurting them?

#660 3 days ago
    Quoted from Liftserv:

So for all of us that turn on our signs say once a week or every other week
    For about eight hrs at a time this could be hurting them?

Look at it as you're putting more wear and tear on them. I have numerous neon signs and like most I don't use them all the time. Neon signs were made for commercial use and not for the home environment.

#661 3 days ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Look at it as you're putting more wear and tear on them. I have numerous neon signs and like most I don't use them all the time. Neon signs were made for commercial use and not for the home environment.

I have a "Lite" sign that might be older than I, I'm not overly concerned with how much time it has left. Yes you maybe adding more wear and tear but it still might around longer than I'll be alive "short cycling" it. You have to weigh the fire safety risk (ballasts are known to catch fire time to time) and electrical usage vs wear and tear and decide for yourself if it is worth it.

I'm done for the day, they get shut down.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 430.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 221.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 179.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 199.99
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    £ 20.00
    $ 28.95
    $ 14.00
    $ 249.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Republic Of Pinball
    $ 19.95
    There are 661 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 14.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside