By PEN

3 years ago

Stats

• 544 posts
  • 168 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by ramegoom
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 499 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D78819CF-C591-427E-81E0-7BFE68C8DAFC (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3324 (resized).JPG
    Quality (resized).PNG
    935DEBD0-7BC8-4FA1-904E-1E1AFC8E1224 (resized).jpeg
    DSCF1384 (resized).JPG
    DSCF1383 (resized).JPG
    DSCF1382 (resized).JPG
    DSCF1380 (resized).JPG
    DSCF1381 (resized).JPG
    DSCF1379 (resized).JPG
    20A58008-265E-4E21-AA19-C02503CACC41 (resized).jpeg
    C574628C-338A-4D69-9B46-8DEABF795DBB (resized).jpeg
    20180317_105949 (resized).jpg
    70DD4786-86AD-4ABB-BE9C-980D0C38BD74 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_E0348[1] (resized).JPG
    4F302812-B4A8-4C2B-9AD0-BED177044647 (resized).jpeg

There are 544 posts in topic. You are on page 11 of 11.
    #501 4 months ago
    Quoted from RobertWinter:

3kv seems rather small, even though KingBW has that on his sign. You would need a minimum 6kv transformer for 10 feet of 10mm tube (assuming that's the size of your sign). 7.5kv would give you some headroom.
    Since you already have multiple transformers, I would suggest splitting the sign.

This weekend, I was thinking of separating the ghosts from the pacman words and trying something like that with 2 transformers. I may also go back and try cleaning off the leads coming out of tube as the copper seemed a little dark like a little oxidation (or maybe from heat). Thinking a lite fiberglass brush or something gently.

Thanks for the extra input.

#502 4 months ago

My newest

E65363B9-CC90-4309-A705-06E610D1BE8D (resized).jpeg

#503 4 months ago

Neons are great and I love em
    Had many over the years including a couple 6+ footers
    You need high ceilings to hang them properly and out of the reach of people whether touching or falling into them
    Had someone knock over a 6 footer miller time
    That took forever to clean up all the glass and the amazing part most of it still worked sighhh

I had an original one of these years back and sold it for a few hundred

Picked up a China replacement slightly smaller for 45 bucks free shipping

Hard to beat that and a classic!

488E8B5D-B6A4-470A-AF11-70AB54ABDA8D (resized).png

#504 4 months ago

20171202_142900 (resized).jpg

#505 4 months ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

This weekend, I was thinking of separating the ghosts from the pacman words and trying something like that with 2 transformers. I may also go back and try cleaning off the leads coming out of tube as the copper seemed a little dark like a little oxidation (or maybe from heat). Thinking a lite fiberglass brush or something gently.
    Thanks for the extra input.

Took an extra week before I got back around to working in sign. I got a fiberglass bristle brush and cleaned the copper wires off tubes. Hard to capture in pics, but shined up nicely....didnt make much difference in performance. Before and after cleaning.

KIMG0022 (resized).jpg

KIMG0023 (resized).jpg

#506 4 months ago

Sooo....replacing with single new 3KV 30mA supply lit whole unit but dim in some spots and touching tube with finger would cause a ghost to turn off. Also, "M" in pacman was dim. Hooking same new supply to only ghost half lit them better and no longer would a ghost go out, but first ghost is kind of bubbly inside (I don't know the term, but I am sure you know what I mean-like you can see it flowing/dancing a bit). Cleaning wire leads didnt do anything noticeable.

I left new supply on only the ghosts and added a second 3KV 30mA supply to run "pacman".

Final result...same little chase looking effect in first ghost, and same dim middle of "M" in pacman. Been on 20 min and no change.

However, didn't get worse and still looks pretty good; so, while not quite perfect, compaired to dead....I'll call it a win!

It's honestly probably a little old/worn/outgassed...like I said, I got it used and have no idea it's age or useage hours.

Thanks again for the help guys!
    Time to put some shades on and stare at the beautiful glow!

KIMG0024 (resized).jpg

#507 4 months ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

same dim middle of "M" in pacman.

The "dim" in the M appears to be burn and there is nothing you can do about that and it will get worse over time! These cheap Chinese neon signs shouldn't need two power supplies to run it as the tubes they use are small in diameter then commercial neon signs!

If you haven't already, take all of the rubber boots off the leads and make sure the leads (the wires you cleaned) are making solid contact! Cleaning the leads is great but more than likely isnt your issue! These leads typically have paint on them and this is common as the leads get paint on them when the tubes are dipped in paint!

One other thing to check is ..... is there a ground wire? If so, make sure it's making good contact with the frame!

#508 4 months ago
    Quoted from meSz:

The "dim" in the M appears to be burn and there is nothing you can do about that and it will get worse over time! These cheap Chinese neon signs shouldn't need two power supplies to run it as the tubes they use are small in diameter then commercial neon signs!
    If you haven't already, take all of the rubber boots off the leads and make sure the leads (the wires you cleaned) are making solid contact! Cleaning the leads is great but more than likely isnt your issue! These leads typically have paint on them and this is common as the leads get paint on them when the tubes are dipped in paint!
    One other thing to check is ..... is there a ground wire? If so, make sure it's making good contact with the frame!

Thanks. I figured both the one ghost and the "M" were just wear at this point toi. No ground wire. I cleaned and twisted tight only the ends with leads I was working on, but did NOT check any of the ones going from tube to tube. And you are right, one of the leads I worked on did have a lot of black paint crap all over it; got off what I could and made sure wire was on good bare spot as best I could.

I will clean and check the other's as well now.

Thanks!

#509 4 months ago

My glow game has been off for a while, but I brought it back for Christmas.

I am a huge Warriors fan!

6E27324B-0FFD-45AA-9C07-9257FF55AC58 (resized).jpeg

98EDAA69-5E3E-4739-BD94-14714BC9349C (resized).jpeg

#510 4 months ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

My glow game has been off for a while, but I brought it back for Christmas.
    I am a huge Warriors fan!

even though I cant stand the warriors (cavs fan) that neon is pretty sweet.

#511 4 months ago

0acd9e7f46780f848c589ee76283eddd2fb0e2dd (resized).jpeg

#512 4 months ago

Well I just purchased one of my biggest and coolest neons yet. I will post a pic when it gets to my house in one piece.Keeping fingers crossed.

#513 4 months ago

DSC01309 (resized).JPG

DSC01305 (resized).JPG

DSC01304 (resized).JPG

DSC01303 (resized).JPG

DSC01300 (resized).JPG

DSC01298 (resized).JPG

DSC01297 (resized).JPG

#514 4 months ago

Is that "Wendover Will"?

#515 4 months ago

Here’s mine! Looking to add another, love the glow

25EBF8EA-513E-4828-91F2-97F3247D19FF (resized).jpeg

4F302812-B4A8-4C2B-9AD0-BED177044647 (resized).jpeg

#516 4 months ago

I have been contemplating having a "Dead Nudes" sign made up... Just to be funny.

#517 3 months ago
    Quoted from Pugsley:

I have been contemplating having a "Dead Nudes" sign made up... Just to be funny.

Don't do it. That kind of sign tends to attract necrophiliacs.

2 weeks later
    #518 3 months ago

Here are two for you Blitzburgh99.......

First one is not a neon but an "LED Neon Sign". At least that's what they call it! It's an LED but instead of the typical all plastic frame and all they have it affized to a metal frame just like a neon.
    IMG_E0348[1] (resized).JPG
    The second one is a Heineken neon with the Pittsburgh Point and skyline all in neon.
    70DD4786-86AD-4ABB-BE9C-980D0C38BD74 (resized).jpeg

2 months later
    #519 37 days ago

I've always wanted this sign... 1950's Hamm's

20180317_105949 (resized).jpg

#520 37 days ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Sooo....replacing with single new 3KV 30mA supply lit whole unit but dim in some spots and touching tube with finger would cause a ghost to turn off. Also, "M" in pacman was dim. Hooking same new supply to only ghost half lit them better and no longer would a ghost go out, but first ghost is kind of bubbly inside (I don't know the term, but I am sure you know what I mean-like you can see it flowing/dancing a bit). Cleaning wire leads didnt do anything noticeable.
    I left new supply on only the ghosts and added a second 3KV 30mA supply to run "pacman".
    Final result...same little chase looking effect in first ghost, and same dim middle of "M" in pacman. Been on 20 min and no change.
    However, didn't get worse and still looks pretty good; so, while not quite perfect, compaired to dead....I'll call it a win!
    It's honestly probably a little old/worn/outgassed...like I said, I got it used and have no idea it's age or useage hours.
    Thanks again for the help guys!
    Time to put some shades on and stare at the beautiful glow!

Pacmanretro... the 3kv transformer is still too small for the text which is why the centre is dull. Put a 10kv on the whole sign and youll be OK. Electronic transformers are self adjusting so it will only deliver what the sign requires. In other words, if the sign requires 8KV then a 10KV will output 8. The bubbling in some of your tubes ( namely clear red) is called " jellybeaning". Its the high frequency pulses inside the gas discharge. A good electronic transformer will have "anti jellybeaning" circuitry inside. But if buying the cheapest you can from Ebay is your criteria then learn to love those marching ants. Also smaller diameter tubing has a higher resistance and so takes MORE power than a larger tube, not as suggested before by someone else. Chinese signs are often under gassed to fit the tubing onto a certain transformer and reduce resistance but it leads to failure.
    Plenty of neon shops still in the USA, go ring one and get yourself a decent transformer. I recommend Neon Pro ( Chinese)... Evertron (USA) or Ventex ( USA). Most of the other US manufacturers have moved their production base to China to cut costs but the products have become unreliable and the end result is that they now sell far less than they did.
    Cheers... Retropin

#521 36 days ago
    Quoted from scampcamp:

I've always wanted this sign... 1950's Hamm's

Neat looking sign. It appears the power supply has a sequencer built in so I assume the glasses of beer flash on and off??? Can you take a pic lit up?

#522 36 days ago
    Quoted from Retropin:

Pacmanretro... the 3kv transformer is still too small for the text which is why the centre is dull. Put a 10kv on the whole sign and youll be OK. Electronic transformers are self adjusting so it will only deliver what the sign requires. In other words, if the sign requires 8KV then a 10KV will output 8. The bubbling in some of your tubes ( namely clear red) is called " jellybeaning". Its the high frequency pulses inside the gas discharge. A good electronic transformer will have "anti jellybeaning" circuitry inside. But if buying the cheapest you can from Ebay is your criteria then learn to love those marching ants. Also smaller diameter tubing has a higher resistance and so takes MORE power than a larger tube, not as suggested before by someone else. Chinese signs are often under gassed to fit the tubing onto a certain transformer and reduce resistance but it leads to failure.
    Plenty of neon shops still in the USA, go ring one and get yourself a decent transformer. I recommend Neon Pro ( Chinese)... Evertron (USA) or Ventex ( USA). Most of the other US manufacturers have moved their production base to China to cut costs but the products have become unreliable and the end result is that they now sell far less than they did.
    Cheers... Retropin

Thank you very much for the extra info Retropin! I had already bought a few of those cheap chinese supplies, but I will certainly be checking out some better ones now.

Thanks for the voltage explations too

#523 36 days ago

I received this Ghostbusters Neon sign as a gift several months ago. Makes an excellent Ghostbusters pin topper.

C574628C-338A-4D69-9B46-8DEABF795DBB (resized).jpeg

20A58008-265E-4E21-AA19-C02503CACC41 (resized).jpeg

#524 32 days ago

Took some pics tonight.

DSCF1379 (resized).JPG
    DSCF1381 (resized).JPG
    DSCF1380 (resized).JPG
    DSCF1382 (resized).JPG
    DSCF1383 (resized).JPG
    DSCF1384 (resized).JPG

Anyone interested in the Boar's Head sign? Its kinda large for my space and I really don't have anything it fits with. Prefer to not ship it, but if you're local to Allentown, let me know if you're interested.

Chris

#525 31 days ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Anyone interested in the Boar's Head

Is Boars Head the Deli (lunch) meat??
    Neat looking sign!

#526 31 days ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Neat looking sign!

Yes sir.

#527 30 days ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Yes sir.

Quoted from meSz:

Neat looking sign!

There was a kid in my grade school that always smelled like lunch meat

#528 30 days ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Cool! Would they be interested in a neon sign? LOL

#529 30 days ago

Perhaps his parents worked at the Oscar Mayer factory?

#530 30 days ago

'what kind of kid smells like Armour hotdogs...'

Isn't that how it went?

#531 30 days ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Mmmm pastrami on rye.

#532 30 days ago

How do you spell Williams ????

#533 30 days ago

Quality (resized).PNG

#534 30 days ago
    Quoted from Ballypin:

Too many L’s.

935DEBD0-7BC8-4FA1-904E-1E1AFC8E1224 (resized).jpeg

#535 30 days ago

Too many L’s.

That's for the pps lawyers.

#536 30 days ago

Too many L’s.

LLLLLLLLLLLL O L

#537 30 days ago

Not neon but have a chromatic clock and a few pixel pals

IMG_3324 (resized).JPG

#538 30 days ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

LLLLLLLLLLLL O L

W’llliams

Like O’Hare or O’Grady

#539 29 days ago
    Quoted from Ballypin:

Yeah, well......I got nothing. This is why I dont buy Chinese neon any longer.

(Not that there's anythign wrong with that).

Chris

2 weeks later
    #540 9 days ago

The first neon the bride gave me the ok to put “in the house!”

D78819CF-C591-427E-81E0-7BFE68C8DAFC (resized).jpeg

#541 9 days ago

That's cool! Love the unique ones!

#542 8 days ago

The first neon the bride gave me the ok to put “in the house!”

Oh, man. I love that one.

#543 5 days ago

Anyone ever buy anything from these guys?

https://www.neonsignsinus.com/

#544 5 days ago
    Quoted from PAPPYBALL:

Anyone ever buy anything from these guys?
    https://www.neonsignsinus.com/

If it's not clear from the website, they are a Chinese company. Not sure what to expect quality-wise. But despite the name, they are not in the US.

#545 5 days ago

I have used this company for several:

http://www.customized-neon-sign.com/

They work great, price is right, I'd recommend them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 9,000.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 239.99
    $ 19.99
    Playfield - Decals
    Arcade Moi Ca
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 25.99
    Playfield - Other
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 26.50
    $ 69.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    £ 69.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    € 89.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 1,089.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 544 posts in topic. You are on page 11 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside