You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
A82E60AE-B67D-465B-889B-10F58BA91061 (resized).jpeg
FB70085D-D251-4FD5-8181-C9543109AAFC (resized).jpeg
F20701F8-860E-4C2A-9157-DA253BA169D4 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

Hey guys. I just got a neon for xmas and the “Tiki” portion of the sign is really dim compared to the rest. There is a slight buzzing when I move the tube behind it and it dims/brightens momentarily. Is this an easy fix or should I just do an exchange?

F20701F8-860E-4C2A-9157-DA253BA169D4 (resized).jpegF20701F8-860E-4C2A-9157-DA253BA169D4 (resized).jpeg
#2 2 years ago

It might be worth pulling the rubber boot off and insuring that the wires are tight. Other than that, there really is no way to fix that if your not a neon bender. If the wiring looks good than I would try and exchange it.

#3 2 years ago

Faulty tube. Exchange it

#4 2 years ago

Is this a new or aged sign?

Edit: how long have you left it on?

#5 2 years ago

Here’s my Killians I bet I haven’t turned this on in 5 years. This thread motivated me to pull out a couple of my signs. Look how lopsided the colors are. I’ll be back in an hour with another pic and I bet it will look better

FB70085D-D251-4FD5-8181-C9543109AAFC (resized).jpegFB70085D-D251-4FD5-8181-C9543109AAFC (resized).jpeg
#6 2 years ago

Half hour later almost 100% the I and the N are still a little faded

A82E60AE-B67D-465B-889B-10F58BA91061 (resized).jpegA82E60AE-B67D-465B-889B-10F58BA91061 (resized).jpeg
#7 2 years ago

I left it on for 12 hours and “massaged” it like one site said and it is improving!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Is this a new or aged sign?
Edit: how long have you left it on?

This is a new sign, it is improving but bar is still brighter.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

This is a new sign, it is improving but bar is still brighter.

That’s awesome! I’ll bet it will be just fine. Let that sign run for awhile longer and post more pics. They are designed to be on.

That’s a very nice gift you have there btw.

#10 2 years ago

Is that window cold or drafty?

The purple tubes may be filled with mercury vapor (with phosphor coating to generate purple). If that’s the case and the area in front of the window is colder than the area in front of the wall, then the Hg in that tube may be taking longer to fully evaporate and thus is staying dimmer longer.

Also, if any Hg got splashed on the electrodes (during shipping for example), it can also take a little longer to fully vaporize.

I’d test it by moving to an area with more stable temp. before deciding the tube is bad (which is a possibility too).

(Great sign, I bet those colors look phenomenal together in person.)

1 week later
#11 2 years ago

After the bottom got brighter. I just plugged it back in today and the Tiki Bar part and head didn’t light up at all. I turned it off and on a few times and now it comes on. Any ideas?

#12 2 years ago

Transformer issues. Exchange it and get a new sign.

LTG : )

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Transformer issues. Exchange it and get a new sign.

After I plug it in cold and turn it on with the switch, only the top will light up. When I turned the switch on and off the full things lights up fine.

Do you think I should still get a new one?

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

Do you think I should still get a new one?

That or live with it. Up to you.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That or live with it. Up to you.

I guess my question is, is it defective and if so could it get worse?

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

is it defective

Sounds like it.

Quoted from jp1985:

if so could it get worse?

Yes.

Eventually not enough power to light the whole sign.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/neon-sign-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.