(Topic ID: 74372)

Neither my tech nor I can get WOZ to update.

By pinlawyer

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 142 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ThanksObama-44445.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinchroma.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 10 years ago

Greg why didn't you just call me. It takes 3 mins to do.

Your thumb drive isnt formatted correctly. In the instructions it says to make sure it's formatted fat32 or ms-dos fat on a mac

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from whocanitbenow:

As I suggested in another thread, if you cant get this to work, try going to your public library and use their machines.
If you get totally stuck, if you pay for the thumb drive, I will send you a drive with the file ready to go.
Remember, it has worked for like 98% the rest of us.

Won't work on ny public library machines. They don't let you put USB sticks in

#10 10 years ago

That is incorrect. It can't find one brand of stick on windows. Sandisk and that's the sticks fault because Sandisk now has them show up as hard drives. There is another utility to use with Sandisk USB sticks. You all can thank Microsoft and their shitty os for that one and not adhering to standards.

Microsoft is the bane of any real technologists existence.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Precisely. The PNY drive IS formatted FAT32.

Can't be if your on a Mac? Would be ms-dosFAT.

I could walk you thru it if you want or I can remote into your machine and do it for you.

#14 10 years ago

Yes let me just finish eating dinner and I'll PM you with my number. You should have it though. But I'll send it again shortly.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from gamestencils:

First, you do not know what brand my usb sticks are, don't be so quick to dismiss people as incorrect.. it is not a Sandisk stick specific issue, and I tried at least 3 different makes of usb stick I have here with various formats on 2 different macs. The first stick I tried was in fact the very same one that I used to perform the last full update on the machine using the same mac and it was stored in the machine for that purpose in the future. Where on the how to install a full update FAQ in the support system would I find that little sandisk alternate utility note anyway? Searching the knowledge base for sandisk returns nothing.

The alternate is for windows not for Mac. The problem only occurs on windows. Based on what you said though it didn't sound like you reformatted the stick prior to reusing it as per the instructions.

The problem with Sandisks is new. They are the only manufacturer complying with a Microsoft request for windows 8 to display USB sticks as hard drives and not removable storage

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

I see nothing on this page for reformatting thumb drives for macs or windows??!
http://support.jerseyjackpinball.com:8081/helpdesk/WebObjects/Helpdesk.woa/wa/FaqActions/view?faqId=9
His Mac recognized the thumb drive and we could move files on and off of it, the UNETBOOTIN program however could not see the drive at all
On three different windows computers I got 2 different results all with the same end result, no update.
You mentioned in the other thread how he has had to mail out "Dozens" of usb sticks to people to get the updates to work. Sounds to me like something is wrong with the machine's updating process.
Also if this program has the potential to reconfigure someones computer if they accidentally "reboot now" or leave the thumb drive in the usb port when they turn on their computer then this is a dangerous way to update the game.

I mailed out drives as a courtesy not out of necessity.

I'll help Greg directly. Again there are ample warnings given all thoughout the process.

If anyone would like to suggest a new mechanism for installing operating systems myself, Microsoft, Apple, and Redhat are all ears because as of 2012 that's the only mechanism for installation. ISO/Image. Not even MS has cd's for windows any longer unless you pay extra for media. It's an ISO download and a USB burn of that ISO using a tool for a fresh install.

#26 10 years ago

Disk Utility -> Erase -> Select msdos-FAT then hit erase.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Sorry, but where do I find Disk Utility?

Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility.

Should be in there. You can also hold the spacebar and hit enter and it will bring up a machine search via finder. you can start typing "Disk" and it will likely pop up.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Got it - thank you!!!

No problemo

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I agree that the website sucks and finding the update image seems to be published on unlinked urls. But the statement I was responding to was that the unetbootin imager is too complicated for end users. Your problems seem to be with finding the site and docs. Not following the instructions. I think the fact that once you found this stuff that you had no problem using it supports my claim.

Every time I make an announcement here, JJP group, JJP facebook I include the link to the relevant FAQ entry. Look at the top of the 1.24 available thread. It's there. The download link and the link to the FAQ which is also on the download page.

#47 10 years ago

Look at this image. Just read the text. It's all there including mentioning to reformat the stick prior to use.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#52 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

File this under: "I had no problems, so there are no problems to be had".

I can't account for everyone's individual computer needs. I didn't make one that works on an Amiga or Tandy g2. So i guess yeah there may be some problems for individuals with those systems.

It works natively in windows, Mac, Linux. Hell I can even do it on a chromebook if absolutely necessary. (Developer mode needed to drop to shell)

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from gamestencils:

For what it's worth, I put my mac in developer mode and ran a few tools to see what was going on. Turns out, that unetbootin is wanting to make a change to the system that requires an administrator password so anyone with any kind of security enabled should get a message asking for a password to update a script. However, this is buggy in unetbootin and on some variations of osx you don't get the box and the software just sits there never updating the script and never able to see your usb drive. The box just seems to flash up and go away in an instant on first startup SOMETIMES. When I stepped through the software's actions that is when I caught that password box. The password request is very nondescript as to just what it is wanting to update on the user system.
Once that was done, then it could see the usb drives. This was repeated on 2 of my 3 macs on the house, only the one on Mavericks did not have the issue.

I have 10.6 through 10.9 and it works in all of them. There is one security setting which says allow macs to run software from non certified developers. That should be checked. It's in security settings. But that pretty much gets checked day one with a Mac or you can't install nearly anything outside the App Store.

That's not a unetbootin bug

#64 10 years ago

The information about the need to format the sticks is in the FAQ. It doesn't walk you through the process of formatting but a google search fixes that. If I actually need to write a FAQ on how to format a USB stick I will. However a quick call to support and instead of wasting 2 hrs would likely have helped. I would have gladly remoted in and done it for you which I do 7 days a week all hours of the day.

There is nothing wrong with the process. Its a simple 5 click process.

Open unetbootin
Select woz update ISO
Select USB stick from drop down
Hit ok
Hit exit when complete.

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

The cable was the first thing I checked when it didn't auto install the first time. Cable is connected and the USB flashes its LED once after inserting the USB into the extension cable.
The second issue sounds like a real possibility. We have done delta updates on this WOZ but never a full system update.

The BIOS is auto set from the Manufacturer. If your game has the JJP logo when it boots it will autoboot USB.

#92 10 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

So, It's been a while since I had to boot to a motherboard bios, but I should just connect a USB keyboard to the USB extension cable then then press "ESC" on the keyboard during boot-up to get into the bios and then check the boot order and make sure it's USB first then harddrive second and then save and exit if I have to change the order?
Or is it F1? Pretty sure F8 is for safe mode.

You can't enter the bios. It's hard set from MSI. We have the motherboards imaged with a pre-set bios.

If the the game is booting straight without recognizing the USB stick the USB cable itself may be bad. Try putting the stick directly in the back of the motherboard in the port the USB cable is currently plugged into. Remove the cable from the mobo and plug the stick in. Also please verify the ISO image is complete. An incomplete download of the ISO will result in no boot.

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

The USB dongle is right above the cable. Is there enough room to insert a USB stick into the port under the dongle without removing it? Can I swap the ports between the dongle and the USB stick? Will the game boot without the dongle?

The game will build without the dongle. Won't boot the actual game code without it. You can try that.

It's a master image of the bios. Not possible it's not set to boot USB. It's not hand set. It's an image that's applied that handles all the settings and logo, etc...

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

There must be... It was promised in the original announcement!

Yes it's coming eventually. Infrastructure is already there to support it.

#100 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

B9 got his machine online but there are no servers running yet.

Yes there are but that's not the issue.

#102 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Well that was a general statement. "It doesn't work right now" is more accurate without revealing too much detail.
But back on topic, I imagine downloading system updates is still quite far off, considering it would require a rewrite of the current installer.

It's not that far. It would be just a minor change of the boot system. You will still need a bootable stick (like all linux net installs) but it would be about 6mb and everything else would download from the internet.

#114 10 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Mark's was a Sandisk, which is they type WOZ is supposed to have trouble with.

Depends on how old. It's only the brand new Sandisks.

#120 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

There is nothing inherently wrong with treating a USB drive like a hdd. Its not a bad idea and in the long run could result in better compatibility. Still, the new drives aren't seeming to be the problem here. No one that is having problems seems to be using a new Sandisk. Furthermore, I would suspect ubootin program would not find the drive in windows so the problem would occur at disk creation time not boot time in the woz machine. Finally, a bios update in the woz machines that allows scanning USB drives also as native hdd should solve the compatibility problem. So I think we can stop blaming Microsoft here.

The bios will boot the Sandisk no problem. That issue is unetbootin not allowing to write to non removal media is a safety feature but I already put in a bugzilla with them to add a checkbox to allow not removable media with a huge warning. Don't select c:

#121 10 years ago
Quoted from Mojosan:

No, it isn't ridiculous. I assure you I'm completely tech savvy and I can "follow the pictures." :/
I have not been able to update my WOZ. Have tried 3 different computers, 3 different USB sticks, all erased and correctgly formatted, and have followed the instructions EXACTLY each time. In the other thread I posted pictures of the error message, on screen on the WOZ, that I got about 1/3 of the way through.

Mojo I'm sorry I didn't see the messages. Pm me your phone numver I'll give you a ring tomorrow.

#127 10 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

Not a huge Window's fan but its "sucks" less than Linux.
Windows 7 native driver support is excellent compared to Linux.
If the business world adopted Linux based machines then I would be on board with supporting them but Linux and its iterations are the minority. Its rock solid in my router ( with Tomato firmware ) but still the problem child for hardware support in the industry. Stern had a similar USB / memory stick problem until they updated their boot ROM chip for greater memory stick compatibility.
WOZ is an interesting game but shows how and why PC based games take extra care and support vs a less complex board set and flash.

I literally laughed out loud at this whole post.

#130 10 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Not surprised you would. Cal50 is right IMO. To non techies Linux is a nightmare. He's also right about Woz and indirectly Nucore. Old wms machiness you install a rom, cake. Even with Sterns you only have the USB issue and don't suffer from creating iso properly as the recent threads show this is an issue. I HATE windows 8 but still would never suggest any build of Linux to a non tech over it.

That's not was I was laughing about. The driver support comments are incorrect. There is better driver support in Linux than windows. Almost the identical stack on a Mac. I don't recommend Linux to novices. But the commentary about driver support is just plain wrong.

That's why mac's just work.

Windows 8 is a tech travesty.

#136 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Why would you think driver support is better in Linux? If you were a small hw company and created a device, would you invest your money developing a driver for Linux where 2% of your customer base can use your product? Or would you start with windows where 98% of your customers might benefit? Windows drivers always come first. Unless you're defining driver support as something other than driver availability, I don't see the argument here.

I'm not talking about ease of use or even use case. That's not the argument. The statement was that windows has better driver support meaning driver availability for components which just isn't true. There is not a component I have ever run across that there isn't an associated driver for natively or via repos and there are tons that there are no windows drivers for but an abundance of Linux drivers for.

This isn't about ease of use at all. The very blanket statement about driver support is just flat out wrong.

Here is a great article on the topic and it's 3.5 years old. The Linux driver stack is infinitely better today and surpasses MS out of the box by a large margin. Total available modules either dynamic or static are in the 30,000 range. There are drivers for everything...

http://www.zdnet.com/device-support-in-windows-vs-linux-4010018141/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 91.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinchroma.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/neither-my-tech-nor-i-can-get-woz-to-update?tu=pinchroma and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.