(Topic ID: 74372)

Neither my tech nor I can get WOZ to update.

By pinlawyer

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 142 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ThanksObama-44445.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

What were they thinking with this ISO shit? That little program that's supposed to expand it on my Mac doesn't even recognize the thumb drive.

#2 5 years ago

PM pinchroma aka Alex.

#3 5 years ago

You should find a good lawyer.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

You should find a good lawyer.

#5 5 years ago

Greg why didn't you just call me. It takes 3 mins to do.

Your thumb drive isnt formatted correctly. In the instructions it says to make sure it's formatted fat32 or ms-dos fat on a mac

#6 5 years ago

As I suggested in another thread, if you cant get this to work, try going to your public library and use their machines.
If you get totally stuck, if you pay for the thumb drive, I will send you a drive with the file ready to go.
Remember, it has worked for like 98% the rest of us.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from whocanitbenow:

As I suggested in another thread, if you cant get this to work, try going to your public library and use their machines.
If you get totally stuck, if you pay for the thumb drive, I will send you a drive with the file ready to go.
Remember, it has worked for like 98% the rest of us.

Won't work on ny public library machines. They don't let you put USB sticks in

#8 5 years ago

Pinchroma,.. the latest version of the ISO utility for whatever reason does not recognize most usb sticks and cannot write the iso to them as a result. I am not pointing fingers and assigning blame, but the problem is there with the utility. I wound up having to find a windows pc to do it. I tried 3 different branded sticks in my mac with no luck, reformatted them with multiple formats to see if that would work and it did not. The finder saw the stick just fine, the unetbin or whatever it was did not.

#9 5 years ago

Precisely. The PNY drive IS formatted FAT32.

#10 5 years ago

That is incorrect. It can't find one brand of stick on windows. Sandisk and that's the sticks fault because Sandisk now has them show up as hard drives. There is another utility to use with Sandisk USB sticks. You all can thank Microsoft and their shitty os for that one and not adhering to standards.

Microsoft is the bane of any real technologists existence.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Precisely. The PNY drive IS formatted FAT32.

Can't be if your on a Mac? Would be ms-dosFAT.

I could walk you thru it if you want or I can remote into your machine and do it for you.

#12 5 years ago

Remote in? Great!!

#13 5 years ago

We've tried it on 3 windows machines and my iMac.

#14 5 years ago

Yes let me just finish eating dinner and I'll PM you with my number. You should have it though. But I'll send it again shortly.

#15 5 years ago

Worst case scenario Greg, let me know and I'll loan you a stick with it on it.

LTG : )

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

That is incorrect. It can't find one brand of stick on windows. Sandisk and that's the sticks fault because Sandisk now has them show up as hard drives. There is another utility to use with Sandisk USB sticks. You all can thank Microsoft and their shitty os for that one and not adhering to standards.
Microsoft is the bane of any real technologists existence.

First, you do not know what brand my usb sticks are, don't be so quick to dismiss people as incorrect.. it is not a Sandisk stick specific issue, and I tried at least 3 different makes of usb stick I have here with various formats on 2 different macs. The first stick I tried was in fact the very same one that I used to perform the last full update on the machine using the same mac and it was stored in the machine for that purpose in the future. Where on the how to install a full update FAQ in the support system would I find that little sandisk alternate utility note anyway? Searching the knowledge base for sandisk returns nothing.

#17 5 years ago

Your game's broke I will take it off of your hands for 5k. I run a charity house and have minions that shop the games out for me and we sell them and I buy them cheeseburgers with the profits, honest.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Your game's broke I will take it off of your hands for 5k. I run a charity house and have minions that shop the games out for me and we sell them and I buy them cheeseburgers with the profits, honest.

Sounds legit. I'd do it.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from gamestencils:

First, you do not know what brand my usb sticks are, don't be so quick to dismiss people as incorrect.. it is not a Sandisk stick specific issue, and I tried at least 3 different makes of usb stick I have here with various formats on 2 different macs. The first stick I tried was in fact the very same one that I used to perform the last full update on the machine using the same mac and it was stored in the machine for that purpose in the future. Where on the how to install a full update FAQ in the support system would I find that little sandisk alternate utility note anyway? Searching the knowledge base for sandisk returns nothing.

The alternate is for windows not for Mac. The problem only occurs on windows. Based on what you said though it didn't sound like you reformatted the stick prior to reusing it as per the instructions.

The problem with Sandisks is new. They are the only manufacturer complying with a Microsoft request for windows 8 to display USB sticks as hard drives and not removable storage

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Sounds legit. I'd do it.

Thank you I'll let you know when the game is here so you can bring the beer and by that I mean help the children, it's all for the kids really.

#21 5 years ago

I've got Windows. I've got different brands of USB sticks. I've had no problems. There's gotta be something else causing it.

#22 5 years ago

I see nothing on this page for reformatting thumb drives for macs or windows??!

http://support.jerseyjackpinball.com:8081/helpdesk/WebObjects/Helpdesk.woa/wa/FaqActions/view?faqId=9

His Mac recognized the thumb drive and we could move files on and off of it, the UNETBOOTIN program however could not see the drive at all

On three different windows computers I got 2 different results all with the same end result, no update.

You mentioned in the other thread how he has had to mail out "Dozens" of usb sticks to people to get the updates to work. Sounds to me like something is wrong with the machine's updating process.

Also if this program has the potential to reconfigure someones computer if they accidentally "reboot now" or leave the thumb drive in the usb port when they turn on their computer then this is a dangerous way to update the game.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

I see nothing on this page for reformatting thumb drives for macs or windows??!
http://support.jerseyjackpinball.com:8081/helpdesk/WebObjects/Helpdesk.woa/wa/FaqActions/view?faqId=9
His Mac recognized the thumb drive and we could move files on and off of it, the UNETBOOTIN program however could not see the drive at all
On three different windows computers I got 2 different results all with the same end result, no update.
You mentioned in the other thread how he has had to mail out "Dozens" of usb sticks to people to get the updates to work. Sounds to me like something is wrong with the machine's updating process.
Also if this program has the potential to reconfigure someones computer if they accidentally "reboot now" or leave the thumb drive in the usb port when they turn on their computer then this is a dangerous way to update the game.

I mailed out drives as a courtesy not out of necessity.

I'll help Greg directly. Again there are ample warnings given all thoughout the process.

If anyone would like to suggest a new mechanism for installing operating systems myself, Microsoft, Apple, and Redhat are all ears because as of 2012 that's the only mechanism for installation. ISO/Image. Not even MS has cd's for windows any longer unless you pay extra for media. It's an ISO download and a USB burn of that ISO using a tool for a fresh install.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

I've done it to help people.

Nothing wrong with the machine.

Not everyone can work a computer. Not every one has a computer.

LTG : )

#25 5 years ago

So if I buy a new 8GB PNY brand thumb drive and use a MacBook Pro, do I need to do something to properly format it before I try to load any of this onto it?

#26 5 years ago

Disk Utility -> Erase -> Select msdos-FAT then hit erase.

#27 5 years ago

Sorry, but where do I find Disk Utility?

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Sorry, but where do I find Disk Utility?

Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility.

Should be in there. You can also hold the spacebar and hit enter and it will bring up a machine search via finder. you can start typing "Disk" and it will likely pop up.

#29 5 years ago

Got it - thank you!!!

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Got it - thank you!!!

No problemo

#31 5 years ago

Just did mine last night. Out of the box with 1.19. I have a 15GB USB stick that I formatted with FAT32. Installed the software on the stick using the UNETBOOTIN program. Easy program to use.Took over 20 minutes to transfer over to the USB. Make sure the game is off when you install the USB then turn the game on. I have heard of other collectors who have had to try a few times for it to catch.

#32 5 years ago

Piece of cake if you follow the instructions, biggest issue is making sure you get a full download.

I used a PNY drive for my Mac and formatted it like Alex said, simple.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Piece of cake if you follow the instructions, biggest issue is making sure you get a full download.
I used a PNY drive for my Mac and formatted it like Alex said, simple.

My experience is the same. I use a Sandisk with my Mac and have never had a problem.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Disk Utility -> Erase -> Select msdos-FAT then hit erase.

That right there might do it. Might try in the morning.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

That right there might do it. Might try in the morning.

That'll work, gl with it pin lawyer, 1.24 is cool, a ton of new nuances...

#36 5 years ago

I have a Mac Book Pro and used boot camp to partition my drive so windows 7 could be installed. It works flawlessly prior to that we had the same issues. My son couldn't get it working on his Mac either until he used boot camp.

#37 5 years ago

Need to simplify updating in the future. The unetbootin hoop is just too much for the general public.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

Need to simplify updating in the future. The unetbootin hoop is just too much for the general public.

This is ridiculous. There are instructions with pictures. People that are smart enough to go to a website and download the image are smart enough to run unetbootin and select an ISO image. If this is too much then some might consider buying premade USB with the image or just not updating.

Besides, its fairly likely that there won't be another system update again and future updates will all be incremental.

#39 5 years ago

Jeez Markmon, I was thinking about saying the same thing, but then I stopped posting because I thought it would be too harsh (and I've had a few Jack and cokes).

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from lost8ball:

Jeez Markmon, I was thinking about saying the same thing, but then I stopped posting because I thought it would be too harsh (and I've had a few Jack and cokes).

Leave it to me to say what needs to be said

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Leave it to me to say what needs to be said

Well, at least you didn't hammer them for using these iMac computers.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

This is ridiculous. There are instructions with pictures. People that are smart enough to go to a website and download the image are smart enough to run unetbootin and select an ISO image. If this is too much then some might consider buying premade USB with the image or just not updating.
Besides, its fairly likely that there won't be another system update again and future updates will all be incremental.

hi markmon it's not as cut and dry as you think - take a minute to read this - I have three degrees and one is in programming - 1986 - granted I never used it in the job market.

I read about the 1.24 here - I went to this site

http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/default.aspx

to find the download and download -no where on this page can you find the download - so then I went to pinside again where alex posted 1.24 is available - and he was kind enough to link where to go to do it

I then tried doing it and ran into problems of not knowing what to do - no where on that page does it give those instructions with the pictures telling you to check this and click the ....

so I was one of the people having problems - it wasn't until a pinsider name b9 realized I didn't have the instructions and email me a link.

once he did that it was very easy - sometimes it's basic things like where the hell is the download - and where are the stupid directions - it's not that we are just idiots - sometimes people who develop websites don't make them user friendly

just given you what happen to me.

thanks ed

#43 5 years ago

It's the fault of Microsoft, George Bush, Stern and Phil Robertson.... JJP is blameless.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

It's the fault of Microsoft, George Bush, Stern and Phil Robertson.... JJP is blameless.

You win - stupidest post after midnight. Congrats!

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from edcianci:

hi markmon it's not as cut and dry as you think - take a minute to read this - I have three degrees and one is in programming - 1986 - granted I never used it in the job market.
I read about the 1.24 here - I went to this site
http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/default.aspx
to find the download and download -no where on this page can you find the download - so then I went to pinside again where alex posted 1.24 is available - and he was kind enough to link where to go to do it
I then tried doing it and ran into problems of not knowing what to do - no where on that page does it give those instructions with the pictures telling you to check this and click the ....
so I was one of the people having problems - it wasn't until a pinsider name b9 realized I didn't have the instructions and email me a link.
once he did that it was very easy - sometimes it's basic things like where the hell is the download - and where are the stupid directions - it's not that we are just idiots - sometimes people who develop websites don't make them user friendly
just given you what happen to me.
thanks ed

I agree that the website sucks and finding the update image seems to be published on unlinked urls. But the statement I was responding to was that the unetbootin imager is too complicated for end users. Your problems seem to be with finding the site and docs. Not following the instructions. I think the fact that once you found this stuff that you had no problem using it supports my claim.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I agree that the website sucks and finding the update image seems to be published on unlinked urls. But the statement I was responding to was that the unetbootin imager is too complicated for end users. Your problems seem to be with finding the site and docs. Not following the instructions. I think the fact that once you found this stuff that you had no problem using it supports my claim.

Every time I make an announcement here, JJP group, JJP facebook I include the link to the relevant FAQ entry. Look at the top of the 1.24 available thread. It's there. The download link and the link to the FAQ which is also on the download page.

#47 5 years ago

Look at this image. Just read the text. It's all there including mentioning to reformat the stick prior to use.

image.jpg
#48 5 years ago

I downloaded 1.24 on my iMAC and had it uploaded to my WOZ in under an hour and this was within the hour it was released. Just saying.

#49 5 years ago

I googled it and found it in seconds. It does take a while to burn the file to the USB and I have a lightening fast computer.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I downloaded 1.24 on my iMAC and had it uploaded to my WOZ in under an hour and this was within the hour it was released. Just saying.

File this under: "I had no problems, so there are no problems to be had".

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.95
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside