(Topic ID: 1724)

Neil Shatz Interview

By jonnyo

13 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

neilroll.jpg
    #1 13 years ago

Hello All - I interviewed one of the top players in the world, Neil Shatz, for pinballnews.com.

http://pinballnews.com/learn/interviews/neil.html

Next up: A peak inside the warehouse of the Pacific Pinball Museum

#2 13 years ago

another great story jonnyo,

wonder what he means by "loose tilt" ?
    and how does that help in scoring ?

#3 13 years ago

Thanks! They're a lot of fun to do.

"loose tilt" means you can be more aggressive with nudging and the game won't tilt on you. At most tournaments the tilt is set very tight, so even moderately aggressive nudging will get you a warning or worse.

As for scoring, well, the possibilities are endless. If the game has a loose tilt you can slide save pretty much anything going towards the middle. Or if it's headed toward the outlane you can slide the game so the ball hits the post or goes down the inlane, or nudge forward to just bounce it off the post and get it out of that general area.

For me, when there's no tilt I can easily double my score. But in the hands of someone like Neil...

#4 13 years ago

Nudging is a skill for which I have much room for improvement. Especially the outlanes.

#5 13 years ago

thanks for clearing that up jonnyo - I understand now

#6 13 years ago

Great interview jonnyo! I loved the small bit Rick Stetta did at CAX on the Road Show.

I was hoping that cointakers would let us burrow their BSD just for a bit, to allow Rick to show us how to really make that machine scream.

#7 13 years ago

@sealclubber - I will post some BAPA league finals at some point (technical difficulties editing the clips), but you will see some great outlane nudging (none of it by me, I played terribly)

The main thing is when the ball is heading in that direction you do a sharp forward nudge as the ball hits the post or the top of the sling. Even on a tight tilt machine you shouldn't get a warning. You're basically just trying to get it completely out of that area. Don't wait to see if the ball is going to choose a lane, just whack it out. Once it's bouncing around the in and outlane post it's too late.

#8 13 years ago

@drbond - thanks for the kudos. I'm going to take the additional footage that Neil and I shot (more vids, including slow mo) and Mads and I are going to put on a "how the pros play pinball" seminar at PPE. Note, I did not say "we are the pros" . Mads is pretty darn good though. He came in 6th at IFPA, out of the top 64 players in the world.

#9 13 years ago

I do the forward nudge but that is rarely effective for me so I figure I am doing something wrong. Mistiming or something. Need more practice and some of watching others doing it. Part of why I am trying to start a league so I can learn from those who are better than me.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/neil-shatz-interview and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.