(Topic ID: 16532)

Negotiating masters, give me your lines. Please?

By The_Gorilla

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FettThreadKiller.png
cash.jpg
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago

Magilla:

With all this solid buying advice, you better report that you got it for $3,500!

Dan

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Oh my, please Bill , dont ask me to hold your balls in a public forum!!!!

So your saying you'll do it in private?

P.S. if they're dirty will you wash them for me

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

the_pin_family said:Wow, just a joke. A funny one at that. Well maybe not funny but def a joke.
Nah, I took it as a joke. I just can't help but use my massive number of gifs when an oppertunity presents itself. I thought mine was funny too!

Were both funny.lol.....wait that sounds wrong. Moving on now.

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Jgel said:The fastest way to get this in your door at the price you want. []
Attachments
[jpg] cash.jpg (70.4 KB, 0 downloads) 43 minutes old
The size of the stack of money can help. $4K in $20's is bigger than $100's and could swing the deal for you when you make your offer and show them the $4K.
LTG

Interesting approach. Never thought of that.

Do you think rolls of pennies could be even more effective?

DOHDan

#55 11 years ago

Condition and how badly you want it, is the greatest factor. Bring you're highest offer with you, critique but don't insult the condition of his pin, then give it a play and arrive at the "this is what I'm thinking offer". You've got the cash and you can haul it away today edge.

#56 11 years ago

So, how did the negotiations go? Did you get the pin? Whirl advice did you go with and did it work?

#57 11 years ago

I think some of the worst advice given on here is to pull less cash out and lay it down. I find that insulting and amateurish. Maybe it worked for cash starved operators in the past, but you pull that on me and I'd throw you out of my house, even if you did eventually pull out the rest of the money. You need to treat the seller with respect and simply point out the facts and your assesment of the value. Pulling out a pile of cash is JV and says to the seller, hey I know you need the cash so you should take it. Fact is, today in the hobby, many don't need the cash and if someone does, I think they deserve a little more respect than using this tactic. IMHO.

#58 11 years ago

.I saw that other than 2 small cab nicks and being dirty, it was a perfectly working, flawless play field example. I was actually willing in my mind to go full price. Offered 4 settled at 42.

Quoted from the_pin_family:

how did the negotiations go? Did you get the pin? Whirl advice did you go with and did it work?

#59 11 years ago

Gorilla, congratulations on a great score!

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from Billmelater:

I think some of the worst advice given on here is to pull less cash out and lay it down. I find that insulting and amateurish. Maybe it worked for cash starved operators in the past, but you pull that on me and I'd throw you out of my house, even if you did eventually pull out the rest of the money. You need to treat the seller with respect and simply point out the facts and your assesment of the value. Pulling out a pile of cash is JV and says to the seller, hey I know you need the cash so you should take it. Fact is, today in the hobby, many don't need the cash and if someone does, I think they deserve a little more respect than using this tactic. IMHO.

I'm going to second this. If someone asks me what I want for a pin and I tell them $4500 and they show up with $4000 cash, I'm done dealing with that person, period. Keep in mind that someone with a $4000 machine in his house probably isn't all that motivated by money and has plenty of it. Feel free to make an offer of around $4000 if you feel that's fair. But none of these other tactics should be used - especially the one where you act like the deal is made at $4200. If some shyster pulled that crap here, I wouldn't sell them the pin at any price. Further, many of us are happy to just keep the pin of we don't get what we want for it. It's not like we are selling pins to pay the rent or eat.

#61 11 years ago

I would not take kindly to someone waving cash at me like I had never seen a $100 bill before. I treat the other person with respect and expect the same. Selling or buying I have a bottom line number in mind. Don't go into a deal with fire in your belly. Ice in your veins works much better. Be prepared to say "Thanks, but it looks like we can't make a deal today."

#62 11 years ago

It's a fine line-
getting a good deal
or making a mess of your rep/image

#63 11 years ago

Yes, I love this game but right now it is so much better than I am. Haven't even reached TABA again this time around.

I liked the way the mode difficulty was on the last machine. This one came all set on "as stinking easy as possible". I changed them all to "hard". Where do you all set yours? And...what are the factory settings? Are they listed in the book with a "smiley" face?

#64 11 years ago

If I'm ever in a situation where we start to narrow down on the price, but can't settle over a hundred dollars or something (e.g., you offer $1500, he says "no, I really need $1600"), then I challenge him to a game on his machine for the final $100. I remind him it's his machine, he knows all the tricks and nuances, he should handily defeat me and get the price he wants. He accepts the offer and we do battle. And I play the greatest game of pinball ever and save myself $100.

Okay, I admit I've never done this, but I will one day!

#65 11 years ago

Spraynard, I love it!

#66 11 years ago

If you run into a true gambler, that could be a fun proposition. I would go for it in a heartbeat. Some people are very "prudish" towards gambling and may not like the suggestion too much.

Isn't pinball just a "gambling device" anyway!

#67 11 years ago

Make him an offer he can't refuse!

#68 11 years ago

If someone offered me 4k for my HUO lotr (and I DO have one), I wouldn't give a flying fuck if they had the money in their hands or not. I wouldn't take it. Not everyone is going to fall for whatever Jedi mind trick you pull on them. This reminds me of when I was selling a JM. I wanted 1400. It was in fabulous shape. The guy offered me 1200, and I just said no. He said, "well, what would you sell it for?" an I told him "uh... 1400."

I don't dick around with prices. If I post something, I usually make it a very good price. I don't need some stupid game of 'I make a price, then you counter bid, then and then and then SOLD.' I ask what I want. That's usually the end of it.

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

If someone offered me 4k for my HUO lotr (and I DO have one), I wouldn't give a flying fuck if they had the money in their hands or not. I wouldn't take it. Not everyone is going to fall for whatever Jedi mind trick you pull on them. This reminds me of when I was selling a JM. I wanted 1400. It was in fabulous shape. The guy offered me 1200, and I just said no. He said, "well, what would you sell it for?" an I told him "uh... 1400."
I don't dick around with prices. If I post something, I usually make it a very good price. I don't need some stupid game of 'I make a price, then you counter bid, then and then and then SOLD.' I ask what I want. That's usually the end of it.

Best way to be, but unfortunately, you have few followers, thus, the nonsense.

Dan

#70 11 years ago

grab them by the back of head and smash their face in the glass and say "so do we have a deal or what?"
be careful not to break the glass.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 12.95
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.50
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 7.50
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/negotiating-masters-give-me-your-lines-please/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.